PDA

View Full Version : ODU Drops W&M Game in 2009

Eight Legger
June 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-06-27-0338.html

Guess the Monarchs are going to wait a little longer to play their neighbor...

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Can't blame ODU. They wanted to load up on home games...they are up to nine games with six home games. Heck, the other two could be road games. I see them having one home and one away to wrap up the season...

Sept 5 - Chowan
Sept 12 - Central Connecticut
Sept 19 - at Jacksonville
Sept 26 - Monmouth
Oct 3 - NC Central
Oct 10 - Presbyterian
Oct 24 - at Savannah St
Oct 31 - Georgetown
Nov 21 - at VMI

bjtheflamesfan
June 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Not a bad schedule...I could see a couple of those as being worth a road trip back home for the weekend. One thing though TT...all those dates are Friday nights...you think you might be off a little? Or is ODU doing all their games on Friday?

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Not a bad schedule...I could see a couple of those as being worth a road trip back home for the weekend. One thing though TT...all those dates are Friday nights...you think you might be off a little? Or is ODU doing all their games on Friday?

ODU plays in 2009. Are you looking at 2008? Seems like it... xlolx

Tribe4SF
June 27th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Wilder went nuts after he was hired and found out ODU had already scheduled the Tribe for their first season. I assume we'll still be visiting ODU in 2010. Nice deal for Central Connecticut. They get a good OOC game, and 50K to boot. Expensive lesson for the ODU AD.

chantster
June 27th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Lots of great talent in the Tidewater area.

Good Luck to ODU. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
June 27th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Can't blame ODU. They wanted to load up on home games...they are up to nine games with six home games. Heck, the other two could be road games. I see them having one home and one away to wrap up the season...

Sept 5 - Chowan
Sept 12 - Central Connecticut
Sept 19 - at Jacksonville
Sept 26 - Monmouth
Oct 3 - NC Central
Oct 10 - Presbyterian
Oct 24 - at Savannah St
Oct 31 - Georgetown
Nov 21 - at VMI

The Monarch's won't be playing Central Connecticut on the 12th. They are paying them to visit W&M on that date.

Monarch History
June 27th, 2008, 11:00 PM
The Monarch's won't be playing Central Connecticut on the 12th. They are paying them to visit W&M on that date.

Here is ODU's schedule as of today.

Chowan Sept. 5 (H)
Jacksonville Sept. 19 (A)
Monmouth Sept. 26 (H)
N.C. Central Oct. 3 (H)
Presbyterian Oct. 10 (H)
Savannah State Oct. 24 (A)
Georgetown Oct. 31 (H)
VMI Nov. 21 (A)

Eaglegus2
June 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Northeastern paid Central Conn. to play Ga Southern.

I know what happened there.:( xsmhx

Heed the warning Tribe.xlolx xnodx xnodx

bjtheflamesfan
June 28th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I thought something seemed odd... thanks for that TT. IS IT FOOTBALL SEASON YET???

jessesd
June 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Here is ODU's schedule as of today.

Chowan Sept. 5 (H)
Monmouth Sept. 26 (H)
N.C. Central Oct. 3 (H)
Presbyterian Oct. 10 (H)
Georgetown Oct. 31 (H)
VMI Nov. 21 (A)

Can't wait to see the final score on this game!xwhistlex xwhistlex

WileECoyote06
June 28th, 2008, 01:52 AM
They must be paying us out the ass to play in their homecoming during their first year of football. Other than that, I can't reason why this game was scheduled.

ODU, you might wanna prepare for a buyout, because it's been rumored that NCCU will be facing Southern in the Circle City Classic in 09, which is always the first Saturday in October.

Either way, we've got a lot of alumni in the Tidewater, and even more that will make the trip down from DC and up from NC. All I know is this better be a home-and-home series. xcoffeex

And only one intrastate game?

Tribe4SF
June 28th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Northeastern paid Central Conn. to play Ga Southern.

I know what happened there.:( xsmhx

Heed the warning Tribe.xlolx xnodx xnodx

The way we've played defense the last couple of years we won't be taking anyone for granted.xbawlingx

Tribe4SF
June 28th, 2008, 05:31 AM
They must be paying us out the ass to play in their homecoming during their first year of football. Other than that, I can't reason why this game was scheduled.

ODU, you might wanna prepare for a buyout, because it's been rumored that NCCU will be facing Southern in the Circle City Classic in 09, which is always the first Saturday in October.

Either way, we've got a lot of alumni in the Tidewater, and even more that will make the trip down from DC and up from NC. All I know is this better be a home-and-home series. xcoffeex

Why would ODU be paying NCCU to play them?xconfusedx Good matchup for NCCU with a probable win and, as you said, a strong NCCU fan base in Tidewater. There should be at least twice as many people at that game as you draw at home. ODU has already sold over 10,000 season tickets.

813Jag
June 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me. xthumbsupx We owe you guys for that spanking in Baton Rouge. xlolx

Monarch History
June 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
ODU being new to FCS, I have a question regarding our schedule in '09. Coach Wilder says he would like to schedule 6 home games and 5 away games that first year. That means there is a date for one additional home game and two away games. We play VMI on November 21. Does anyone know if the FCS Championship might likely start the last Saturday in November or the first week of December? I had heard that open dates might be done away with in the future. Anyone know?

Chowan Sept. 5 (H)
Open Date September 12
Monmouth Sept. 26 (H)
N.C. Central Oct. 3 (H)
Presbyterian Oct. 10 (H)
Open Date Oct. 17
Georgetown Oct. 31 (H)
Open Date Nov. 7
Open Date Nov. 14
VMI Nov. 21 (A)

aceinthehole
June 28th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Wilder went nuts after he was hired and found out ODU had already scheduled the Tribe for their first season. I assume we'll still be visiting ODU in 2010. Nice deal for Central Connecticut. They get a good OOC game, and 50K to boot. Expensive lesson for the ODU AD.

Yeah, not a bad deal for CCSU - its always great to play a CAA team. But I think ODU got off cheap becasue we usually get closer to $75k for a buy game from a I-AA team.

Heard we got $70k from Northeastern to go down to Georgia Southern in 2006; I think Towson paid us $75k for the game last season; and I think we are getting about $75k each from North Dakota State and Delaware State this year.

I hope we also got ODU to come up to New Britain in 2010 as part of this deal. I want some home games! :)

greenG
June 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM
IS IT FOOTBALL SEASON YET???

In Australia and Canada, yes.

[/URL]http://www.afl.com.au/ (http://www.mistwoodgolf.com/)
[URL]http://www.cfl.ca/

I don't count Arena Football.

G.S.Green
June 29th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Where is that team not 10 Miles away named Hampton University? Now is the time the two should be starting to look at one another for a good local rivalry since Bill and Mary claims that they only have 1-2 openings every three to four year cycle.

G.S.Green

Seawolf97
June 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
ODU being new to FCS, I have a question regarding our schedule in '09. Coach Wilder says he would like to schedule 6 home games and 5 away games that first year. That means there is a date for one additional home game and two away games. We play VMI on November 21. Does anyone know if the FCS Championship might likely start the last Saturday in November or the first week of December? I had heard that open dates might be done away with in the future. Anyone know?

Chowan Sept. 5 (H)
Open Date September 12
Monmouth Sept. 26 (H)
N.C. Central Oct. 3 (H)
Presbyterian Oct. 10 (H)
Open Date Oct. 17
Georgetown Oct. 31 (H)
Open Date Nov. 7
Open Date Nov. 14
VMI Nov. 21 (A)

That is a nice schedule for a new team. Could be some winnable games in there.

WileECoyote06
June 29th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I've seen reports that claim that Norfolk State and ODU will look to play their first game in 2013. There is a dispute over who would host the first game (imagine a football startup wielding this type of power over their supposed opponents xeyebrowx ).

The 2013 start is (of course) to allow the current 2008 class to be fifth-year seniors, under their system.

ODU appears to be actively avoiding any FCS Virginia schools, besides VMI. If I were W & M's coach I would certainly use the buyout to recruit against them.

Monarch History
June 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I've seen reports that claim that Norfolk State and ODU will look to play their first game in 2013. There is a dispute over who would host the first game (imagine a football startup wielding this type of power over their supposed opponents xeyebrowx ).

The 2013 start is (of course) to allow the current 2008 class to be fifth-year seniors, under their system.

ODU appears to be actively avoiding any FCS Virginia schools, besides VMI. If I were W & M's coach I would certainly use the buyout to recruit against them.

Coach Wilder and ODU know that playing JMU, W&M, & Richmond would not be a good move for his first or second year team. They would likely be manhandled by those teams. In 2011 we will play a full CAA schedule which will include all those teams plus other CAA powers.

Hampton and NSU games will come in due time, but we need to find three opponents to complete our 2009 schedule, and I have to begin practicing up on my tailgating. xpeacex

GannonFan
June 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM

Like Monarch just said, ODU would be silly to play the big boy FCS schools in Virginia too quickly - there's no way they are ready to play them in the first year or two of existence. Besides, they are in conference with them come 2011 so they're going to be playing them, and playing them a lot, for quite some time.

As to the comment about a football startup dictating terms when it comes to scheduling, being a startup is not really pertinent - having money is. ODU will be successful sooner than later because they have a quality athletic department, deep pockets, and a big fanbase. When they take their first snap in 2009, they will already be the 2nd largest fan season ticket base in the CAA, by a comfortable margin, and will be in the top 20 in terms of FCS attendance, if not top 10. And that attendance is in line with the attendance they get in other sports. Norfolk St, despite being a current FCS team, doesn't have leverage over ODU. Such is life.