PDA

View Full Version : Who are the MOST vilified sportscasters(or writers) in your community?

blazrdog#1
June 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Birmingham-Paul Finebaum & Kevin Scarbinsky.

TheBisonator
June 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Fargo-Moorhead: Mike McFeely.

Although he was right about the recent Timberwolves draft debacle:

http://areavoices.com/mcfeely

The Cats
June 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
for Western Carolina it's Asheville Citizen-Time's Keith Jarrett

93henfan
June 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
For UD - Kevin Tressolini, The (Wilm DE) News Journal

For the Philly area - Howard Eskin (NBC-10 and WIP SportsRadio 610) and Angelo Cataldi (WIP Sportsradio 610) - even though I like 'em both for entertainment value

For everyone but App St fans - David "Homer" Coulson, TSN

93henfan
June 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
For UD, Jeff Pearlman certainly showed up on the radar again last season! He's the UD alum and now ESPN Pg 2 writer who called UD racist for not scheduling a regular season series with DSU. He first gained notoriety while working at SI with his famous John Rocker interview.

Jeff's hatred of his alma mater goes way back to when he worked for the UD student newspaper The Review. I attended UD the same time as Jeff and he had a habit of bashing the UD administration in his column at every opportunity. This built to a crescendo last year when he started sniffing potential first round UD-DSU playoff matchup with DSU leading the MEAC standings by a healthy margin at mid-year. 44-7 seems to have shut him up for now.

APPALACHIANstate
June 28th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Nobody here in Appalachia can read, much less write...

I am only joking.

813Jag
June 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I don't think there's anybody who's vilified in Baton Rouge, Joseph Schiefelbein, Southern's beat writer has a good way of telling it like it is. Saying things that may upset some fans, but it's usually true. Sometimes he's a little too doom and gloom. The other writers are Pro-LSU, but that's to be expected in Tiger Town.

CID1990
June 28th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Gene Sapakoff with the Charleston Post and Courier. A Yankee hack who misses no opportunity to gouge The Citadel.

citdog
June 28th, 2008, 08:37 AM
RICK REILLY

CID1990
June 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM
RICK REILLY

That goes without saying.

Husky Alum
June 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
In Boston, probably Bob Ryan or Dan Shaughnessy - but I don't think they've covered much non-Boston College or non-college hockey events in any recent memory.

Thundar
June 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Fargo-Moorhead: Mike McFeely.

Although he was right about the recent Timberwolves draft debacle:

http://areavoices.com/mcfeely

I'll second that, you love what he writes one day and then hate him the next 10 columns, man that guy pi**es me off sometimes!!

dystopiamembrane
June 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM
portland, or:
dwight jaynes, portland tribune

CSUBUCDAD
June 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Gene Sapakoff with the Charleston Post and Courier. A Yankee hack who misses no opportunity to gouge The Citadel.

Don't forget Ken Burger who is so full of himself he doesn't even know Chuck South exists.

CID1990
June 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Don't forget Ken Burger who is so full of himself he doesn't even know Chuck South exists.

Yep, if we lived in a closet with nothing but the P&C sports section, we would think that usc, clempson and cofc were the only colleges in SC, and that they were all three in Charleston.

I will give Burger props for ONE article he wrote.... it was his coverage of the Furman-El Cid game about 3 years ago when we went into 3 OT and Furman won. He made it into a commentary about the beauty of FCS (then I-AA) football.

ncbears
June 28th, 2008, 07:12 PM
RICK REILLY

The SI Rick Reilly? That guy is more of a Colorado guy. Went to CU.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM
In Boston, probably Bob Ryan or Dan Shaughnessy - but I don't think they've covered much non-Boston College or non-college hockey events in any recent memory.

Definitely got to pick Harpo over Ryan by a mile. But what really surprised me with your post is that you didn't list your usual foil -- Mark Blaudschun! xeekx Has he left the Globe?

I don't even know anything about the Herald sports writers so I can't comment.

catdaddy2402
June 28th, 2008, 10:12 PM
You would be hard pressed to find a decent sportswriter or sportscaster in the entire state of SC. The vast majority are South Carolina homers, and those that aren't are Clemson homers.

However, if I had to pick one it would Phil Kornblut, better known as Korncoot for his South Carolina bias.

jsualum97
June 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Al Muskewitz- Anniston Star
No Questions from the JSU folks

elcid96
June 29th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Nobody here in Appalachia can read, much less write...

I am only joking.

lolxlolx xlolx

McNeese_beat
June 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Gary Laney
What a hack