PDA

View Full Version : Cowherd: "Something Called South Dakota State"

Lehigh Football Nation
June 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080627/SPORTS03/80627008/1002/sports

He was asked about his recent riff on Iowa State’s non-conference football schedule, in which he chastised the Cyclones for playing “something called South Dakota State” in Ames on Aug. 28.

“I don’t recall saying that,” said Cowherd after a brief chuckle. “But it’s part of the process. It won’t be long before (SDSU) fields a reasonably competitive team. Listen, they need to make money, and these big schools need some semi-weeks off.”

xeyebrowx

dbackjon
June 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Cowherd is an ass, anyways.

phillyAPP
June 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080627/SPORTS03/80627008/1002/sports

xeyebrowx

Coherd and Herbstreit = "Cupcakes"

I am now predicting SDSU win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slostang
June 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Collin "Coward" Cowherd is a shock jock of Sports radio. He says crap just to get a response.

Mountain Panther
June 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Cowherd is an ass, anyways.

I agree with 90% of what he says...this just happens to fall into the other 10%

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20080627&Category=SPORTS03&ArtNo=80627008&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=318&Border=0
"The guys that are into dogfighting are the same guys who carry vasoline in their sport coat and rope in trunk. And I doubt their cheek bones line-up."

slostang
June 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I agree with 90% of what he says...this just happens to fall into the other 10%

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20080627&Category=SPORTS03&ArtNo=80627008&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=318&Border=0
"The guys that are into dogfighting are the same guys who carry vasoline in their sport coat and rope in trunk. And I doubt their cheek bones line-up."

He sure has a face that is made for radio.

onbison09
June 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
That is exactly what ever FBS school that has been beaten by an FCS school has said the summer before the game.

catamount man
June 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM
SDSU wins. I've already called it. POUND 'EM LIKE A JACKRABBIT!!!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
June 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'd be upset if he said this about Richmond too, but Cowherd is a radio genius and far and away the best thing any of the national networks have to offer. He went off on UVA a few years back on a rant that was hilarious. If he ever sets foot in Charlottesville, he'll probably be shot, but god it was fun to listen to!

JohnStOnge
June 27th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I'm proud to say that, until I came upon this thread, I'd never heard of the guy.

blackfordpu
June 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
He makes that comment about every FCS team that plays a FBS team. Don't take it personally.

ngineer
June 27th, 2008, 09:44 PM
'herd' mentality...I can't stand sports talking heads. All they do is yell over each other and try and make outlandish statements to stir the pot. A waste of humanity...

SiouxFallsJack
June 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I'm proud to say that, until I came upon this thread, I'd never heard of the guy.

The only time I have listened to him was the few spots he did to promote this event on the poor excuse of a local sports radio show here in Sioux Falls.

Seawolf97
June 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Never heard of himxcoffeex

Footix
June 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM
He is by far the best sports radio personality I have ever heard. If you give him a chance, he in many ways is the most realistic person on the air.

BeauFoster
June 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
He is by far the best sports radio personality I have ever heard. If you give him a chance, he in many ways is the most realistic person on the air.

Back when I listened to ESPN radio a lot, I generally turned to something else during his show. I always loved Dan Patrick and "the French Dibbler". That was an entertaining show.

Grizzaholic
June 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Back when I listened to ESPN radio a lot, I generally turned to something else during his show. I always loved Dan Patrick and "the French Dibbler". That was an entertaining show.

I always turn the station when Stephen A Smith comes on.

JackTwice
June 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Colin loves to stir the pot, fact is he wasn't ripping SDSU he was ripping the Big 12 and their scheduling. What was frustrating from an SDSU fan perspective was the local media taking it and running with it completely out of context. I can't wait to see what happens if SDSU does beat Iowa State

I agree with Dan and Dibbs those guys were "must listen" radio. I also love SVP but could care less if Tirico is there or not.

jonmac
June 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Colin loves to stir the pot, fact is he wasn't ripping SDSU he was ripping the Big 12 and their scheduling. What was frustrating from an SDSU fan perspective was the local media taking it and running with it completely out of context. I can't wait to see what happens if SDSU does beat Iowa State

I agree with Dan and Dibbs those guys were "must listen" radio. I also love SVP but could care less if Tirico is there or not.

If he was ripping the Big 12 for scheduling teams like SDSU then what is that saying about teams like SDSU. He said the exact same thing about us last year, "something called Appalachian State" and also had some other unflattering things to say about us that I have finally gotten over, :) . He does make sense a lot of the time but he whines too much and touts the front runner over the underdog always, yes, that is probably a very realistic way of thinking. He also bases most of his comments on a betting mentality, Vegas style. The reason he refers to teams like ours the way he does is because he considers us to be on a much lower level than the "big boys" and just doesn't waste his precious time paying us any attention or learning anything about us.

onbison09
June 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I hope the Jacks dominate them. Sounds like Sid Hartman before the Bison/Gopher games.

blackfordpu
June 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM

I agree...xnodx

blueballs
June 29th, 2008, 07:34 AM

xeyebrowx

That "semi-week off" got Iowa State an asswhuppin' last year against UNI didn't it? I seem to remember it working out pretty well for Michigan, Minnesota, and Marshall too. He might also want to ask the Wisconsin folks how Citadel looked last year...

... what an ass.

laxVik
June 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I smell the sensitivity alarm on overtime. Soooo what. Did MSU fans and/or reporters take Chadron State seriously? This need here to prove you belong is preposterous. It's obvious given FCS success over FBS schools of late that...ahem...you do. Go figure.

mizzoufan1
June 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM

xeyebrowx

Cowherd is NOTORIOUS for not acknowledging any football outside the NFL and SEC. He bags on the Pac 10, Big 12 and ESPECIALLY the Big 10 all the time...

JackTwice
June 29th, 2008, 11:25 AM
That's exactly my point. He was ripping the Big 12 because in his mind there is no real college football outside the SEC and USC. In the same segment he also said "something called Stephen F Austin". In the end its a throw away comment intended to irritate fans of the Big 12 schools. The only reason we are talking about this now is because some members of the Sioux Falls media, who have an axe to grind with SDSU, got wind of this and ran with it.

jonmac
June 29th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Cowherd is NOTORIOUS for not acknowledging any football outside the NFL and SEC. He bags on the Pac 10, Big 12 and ESPECIALLY the Big 10 all the time...

Yeah, I wonder if he'll mention anything about LSU playing "something called Appalachian State" or Georgia playing "something called Georgia Southern" or USC playing "something called Wofford", etc.? Now that I think about, even though they're all SEC I would bet he will mention it.

Sawtooth
June 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM
For what it's worth, Cowherd graduated from (FCS member) Eastern Washington University...

BlueHen86
June 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
That "semi-week off" got Iowa State an asswhuppin' last year [/B]against UNI didn't it? I seem to remember it working out pretty well for Michigan, Minnesota, and Marshall too. He might also want to ask the Wisconsin folks how Citadel looked last year...

... what an ass.

I was thinking the same thing. Great post.

IndianaAppMan
June 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
For what it's worth, Cowherd graduated from (FCS member) Eastern Washington University...

Cowherd didn't ever graduate. He just went there and eventually dropped out.

Anyway, I do have to say that I agree with about 90% of what he says. I love it that he bags on the Big Ten. Living in major Big Ten country now, ten minutes from Purdue, I am amazed at how overconfident fans are in their conference. They're quick to point out Michigan over Florida, but completely ignore LSU over Ohio State, or Florida over Ohio State, or Boston College over Michigan State, or USC all over Illinois. They still actually believe that the Rose Bowl is actually so important, yet ignore the fact that Ohio State willingly has chosen to play in a different game over the Rose Bowl after its past two Big Ten titles, and the other time was thrilled to play Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

You've at least got to give Cowherd credit for being consistent. He hails team that have the balls to schedule tough OOC games and slams those teams that double up on 1-AA teams (like Florida State).

He does take things too far sometimes. He once ripped a Purdue fan to shreds (check "cowherd rips Purdue" in youtube) when the guy had a very legitimate question. I know because a good friend of mine is that Purdue fan's brother.

onbison09
June 29th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Wonder if he'll say the same thing about NDSU next year.

JDC325
June 30th, 2008, 08:45 AM
'herd' mentality...I can't stand sports talking heads. All they do is yell over each other and try and make outlandish statements to stir the pot. A waste of humanity...

The only reason I check his show out sometimes is that he talks about a lot of non sports topics and has no filter. As far a sports talk goes he is the typical ego driven pot stirrer and definately meets the stereotype completely.

JDC325
June 30th, 2008, 08:45 AM

AMEN

Bison "FANatic"
June 30th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Just waite for the pattern to develop. UNI stomps them last year, SDSU takes them out this year, then NDSU finishes them off next year. Then he will be cutting on Iowa State big time. I just hope after the SU's take a win home the next two years that Iowa State goes on and shows up for the remaining games and adds that much more to the wins.

lillycafe
June 30th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Me too. But, I believe the brass at ESPN Radio got rid of his radio show.

IndianaAppMan
June 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Me too. But, I believe the brass at ESPN Radio got rid of his radio show.

I thought Stephen A decided to leave on his own so he could focus on NBA coverage and other TV stuff for ESPN. I have to say his show made me laugh, though, especially the Friday salsa music!xsmiley_wix

Blazerbird
June 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Cowherd didn't ever graduate. He just went there and eventually dropped out.

Wrong.
http://www.ewu.edu/x46899.xml