PDA

View Full Version : SPORTSNETWORK QB RANKINGS

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/around_the_fcs.htm

patssle
June 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Long list, I think they pretty much included every QB in FCS as somebody to watch.

McNeese_beat
June 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Pretty good depth to the story though. It isn't just a laundry list; it broke them down it several categories, which is kinda cool.

Appinator
June 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Pretty good depth to the story though. It isn't just a laundry list; it broke them down it several categories, which is kinda cool.

Exactly, great breakdown of national talent. There seems to be an interesting storyline for a lot of teams across the board.

AppAlum2003
June 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM
*cue everyone complaining that the entire article is about App*

Retro
June 27th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I would add that Mcneese has great depth at QB with Fontenot backing up Fourroux.. He's actually a more accurate passer and would be a starter on many other teams. Of course, you actually have to watch film to know this.

UCABEARS75
June 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM

LOL

blueballs
June 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I wish the national preview magazines did as good a job of breaking down the players as Coulson did in this article. Very nice job Mr. C!

SunCoastBlueHen
June 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Agreed. Mr. C certainly nailed Delaware's QB situation. xnodx

Reed Rothchild
June 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Great article covering the most important position in football for teams nationwide.

DLS
June 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
why does it not surprise me that AE likes to take pregame naps.

thats so cute.

ericsaid
June 27th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Armanti's put on weight, he's at 181 now!!! ahhh

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I wish the national preview magazines did as good a job of breaking down the players as Coulson did in this article. Very nice job Mr. C!

I think so too and don't expect that anyone else could do as well as he did with this!

Great job Mr. C!

Looking forward to the RB article.

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Armanti's put on weight, he's at 181 now!!! ahhh

Uh oh he is going to be slow now and doesn't have the speed he did before. xthumbsupx

ericsaid
June 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Scott riddle having 13 interceptions in more than 500 attempts is phenomenal IMO.

slostang
June 27th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I think so too and don't expect that anyone else could do as well as he did with this!

Great job Mr. C!

xthumbsupx I agree. xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Scott riddle having 13 interceptions in more than 500 attempts is phenomenal IMO.

Very true.

ericsaid
June 27th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Very true.

Especially as a true freshmen.xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Especially as a true freshmen.xcoffeex

Again true.

Tribe4SF
June 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Mr. C gets an "A" for this one.xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
June 27th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I just wish we knew who our QB was going to be.
:(

GeauxLions94
June 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I would add that Mcneese has great depth at QB with Fontenot backing up Fourroux.. He's actually a more accurate passer and would be a starter on many other teams. Of course, you actually have to watch film to know this.

No film needed. Don't want to see again xnonox

SideLine Shooter
June 27th, 2008, 05:32 PM
My compliments to David Coulson. He knows football and is an excellent writer. Looking forward to many more. xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
June 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Liam Coen and Antwon Young are better than Jake Phillips... Antwon took Jake to school.. he had 4 touchdowns through 3 quarters that game

paward
June 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Think he may have some bad information on Jackson State. They do not have a clear starter as of now.

citdog
June 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM
BART

NOT BEN BLANCHARD

Hoyadestroya85
June 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
We can't be right all the time.. not everyone is Jeff Davis

FargoBison
June 28th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I liked the content in the article, really good info on some guys I knew little about. That said, I would have hard time not putting a guy like Coen in the top 5.

Syntax Error
June 28th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Another good column by the most distinguished FCS writer.

Hoyadestroya85
June 28th, 2008, 12:51 AM

absolutely

Syntax Error
June 28th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Another good column by the most distinguished FCS writer.I should have said: Another good column by the most distinguished FCS writer and the best the Sports Network has ever had.

mvemjsunpx
June 28th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I don't see how Cole Bergquist doesn't make the top-20. He's proven to be accurate, fast, & good at avoiding mistakes and, based on that, is a superb QB by FCS standards. Bergquist isn't the best QB in the division, but he did rank 22nd. in FCS in passing efficiency last year (which makes him 14th. among returnees and 11th. among returnees with at least 20 att/game). I also don't get why Bergquist didn't make the top-20 while Cameron Higgins (Weber) did. Bergquist averaged 53 more ypg of total offense than Higgins & about double the rushing ypg.

I'm not really sure why Coulson thinks Bergquist is on the hot seat, either, since he started every game as a junior and none of the Griz backups have even vaguely proven they can replace him yet.

mtgrizfan4life
June 28th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I don't see how Cole Bergquist doesn't make the top-20. He's proven to be accurate, fast, & good at avoiding mistakes and, based on that, is a superb QB by FCS standards. Bergquist isn't the best QB in the division, but he did rank 22nd. in FCS in passing efficiency last year (which makes him 14th. among returnees and 11th. among returnees with at least 20 att/game). I also don't get why Bergquist didn't make the top-20 while Cameron Higgins (Weber) did. Bergquist averaged 53 more ypg of total offense than Higgins & about double the rushing ypg.

I'm not really sure why Coulson thinks Bergquist is on the hot seat, either, since he started every game as a junior and none of the Griz backups have even vaguely proven they can replace him yet.

I completely agree with you that Coulson missed the boat entirely with Bergquist. Other things to consider are the following.

(1) The BSC has yet to prove to have quality defenses that are consistent. In the last 5 years I would only put Montana, Montana State, and Weber State as above average FCS defenses.

(2) The GRIZ are working hard to open up the offense some, are adding many wrinkles, and recruited a few very good WR's. They also have all their TE's returning.

(3) Speaking of returnees, most of the OL is back. Experienced TE's and OL is huge for any QB at any level.

(4) Bergquist is a SR and will have to shoudler much more of the offense, especially with the Departure of Hilliard and K Dan Carpenter.

All of the above add up to one great formula for much success for Bergquist. I will not be surprised to see him be around 3,000 yds, 24 TDs, and 400 yards rushing, 60% accuracy, and less than 10 ints. Pretty damn good for a QB ranked this low. Feel free to bash away GRIZ haters. xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
June 28th, 2008, 01:48 AM
BIG SKY

PASSING
Year: 2007 Thru: 01/07/08 Minimum: Pct. of games played 75
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp Int CompPct PYds YdsAtt YdsCmp TDs CmpGm
1 Matt Nichols, Eastern Wash. QB SO 13 440 280 9 63.64 3744 8.51 13.37 34 21.54
2 Cole Bergquist, Montana QB JR 12 335 204 8 60.90 2623 7.83 12.86 20 17.00

PASSING EFFICIENCY
Year: 2007 Thru: 01/07/08 Minimum: Pct. of games played 75 10 Attempts/Gm
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp CompPct Int IntPct PYds YdsAtt TDs TdPct Rating Natl Rank
1 Matt Nichols, Eastern Wash. QB SO 13 440 280 63.64 9 2.05 3744 8.51 34 7.73 156.52 8
2 Cameron Higgins, Weber St. QB FR 11 233 131 56.22 9 3.86 1959 8.41 17 7.30 143.20 19
3 Cole Bergquist, Montana QB JR 12 335 204 60.90 8 2.39 2623 7.83 20 5.97 141.59 22

mvemjsunpx
June 28th, 2008, 02:51 AM
BIG SKY

PASSING
Year: 2007 Thru: 01/07/08 Minimum: Pct. of games played 75
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp Int CompPct PYds YdsAtt YdsCmp TDs CmpGm
1 Matt Nichols, Eastern Wash. QB SO 13 440 280 9 63.64 3744 8.51 13.37 34 21.54
2 Cole Bergquist, Montana QB JR 12 335 204 8 60.90 2623 7.83 12.86 20 17.00

PASSING EFFICIENCY
Year: 2007 Thru: 01/07/08 Minimum: Pct. of games played 75 10 Attempts/Gm
Rank Player Pos Cl Gm Patt Pcomp CompPct Int IntPct PYds YdsAtt TDs TdPct Rating Natl Rank
1 Matt Nichols, Eastern Wash. QB SO 13 440 280 63.64 9 2.05 3744 8.51 34 7.73 156.52 8
2 Cameron Higgins, Weber St. QB FR 11 233 131 56.22 9 3.86 1959 8.41 17 7.30 143.20 19
3 Cole Bergquist, Montana QB JR 12 335 204 60.90 8 2.39 2623 7.83 20 5.97 141.59 22

Your point?

Bergquist's & Higgins's efficiency ratings were about the same, but Bergquist had a noticeable amount more yards (both rushing & passing) and a lot more pass attempts. Bergquist was also more consistent in '07, throwing at most 1 INT in all but one game (vs. Portland St.) while having just one sub-100 passing efficiency game (compared to three for Higgins).

I would say that Higgins was more valuable to his team in '07 & has a bright future, but, right now, Bergquist is the better QB. He should be ranked in the top-20.

In addition, both Bergquist and Higgins should be considered well ahead of Lance Kriesien (NAU), who somehow made 18th. on Coulson's list. Kriesien proved he could run well, but his passing was mediocre at best; he only ranked 6th. in the Big Sky in passing efficiency (114.5)

813Jag
June 28th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Think he may have some bad information on Jackson State. They do not have a clear starter as of now.
I don't think Rutland will start, I believe they have 3 or 4 QB's fighting it out.

APPALACHIANstate
June 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
http://rpjsyndicate.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/edwards.jpg

Your rankings, they belong to me...

R.A.
June 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I think so too and don't expect that

SCSU's William Ford should be at the top of that list. 1389 yards rushing as a soph.

93henfan
June 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Well, the only thing I was surprised about was that the App State second and third string quarterbacks weren't ranked #2 and #3.xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
June 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Agreed!

smallcollegefbfan
June 28th, 2008, 08:57 AM
SCSU's William Ford should be at the top of that list. 1389 yards rushing as a soph.

He is certainly one of the best but McLeod, Lewis, Donaldson, Jordan Scott, Jennings, J. Williams, etc. are all candidates to be in the top 5 as well.

DLS
June 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Well, the only thing I was surprised about was that the App State second and third string quarterbacks weren't ranked #2 and #3.xlolx

they prolly would be if we actually knew who they were.

slycat
June 28th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Finally an article i enjoyed reading on TSN. Thanks Mr. C.

bjtheflamesfan
June 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Im happy and somewhat surprised that Brock Smith is top 15 in FCS/1-AA (at least according to this article) Any chance he could make top 10 before the season is out?

smallcollegefbfan
June 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Im happy and somewhat surprised that Brock Smith is top 15 in FCS/1-AA (at least according to this article) Any chance he could make top 10 before the season is out?

Smith deserved to be there. He has the arm to make all throws and he has shown steady improvement throughout his career.

I-AA Fan
June 28th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Should have known it would be nothing but Edwards hype from Coulson. Why did I even bother? Whenever someone cannot pass, the words "effective" & "efficient" always surface.

smallcollegefbfan
June 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Should have known it would be nothing but Edwards hype from Coulson. Why did I even bother? Whenever someone cannot pass, the words "effective" & "efficient" always surface.

Edwards deserves it. Anyone who saw him against Michigan, Richmond, and Delaware will tell you that hype is very much worthy. He is the only FCS player even being mentioned as a Heisman Trophy candidate. No matter who was doing the article Edwards has to be a main focus of it.

appstate38
June 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM

I guess it comes down to his general dislike for the Griz as you guys put it.xsmiley_wix
Other than that I can imagine why he would say such things. But losing alot of the production from that offense could lend to his making those observations. I am just saying!

P.S. All the Coulson love is just amazing considering when we get to the halfway point of the season there will be plenty of posters on AGS complaining about his "homer" status once again. But it is nice while it lasts, I guess.xbowx

CID1990
June 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
BART

NOT BEN BLANCHARD

Hey, but the guy a little slack. He'll have it right at the end of the season when Bart is in his top ten.

mvemjsunpx
June 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I guess it comes down to his general dislike for the Griz as you guys put it.xsmiley_wix
Other than that I can imagine why he would say such things. But losing alot of the production from that offense could lend to his making those observations. I am just saying!

P.S. All the Coulson love is just amazing considering when we get to the halfway point of the season there will be plenty of posters on AGS complaining about his "homer" status once again. But it is nice while it lasts, I guess.xbowx

When did I make an accusation of anti-Griz bias? Underrating Bergquist is a mistake many Griz fans make, as well. And since when did the Griz lose a lot of production on offense? They lost a lot on defense, but Montana returns most of the offense.

I actually believe Coulson is biased against the whole BSC, not just the Griz. His QB rankings do show a degree of ignorance about the Big Sky and I believe I've shown that.

gophoenix
June 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Well, last year he did have a bias that was clear from his writing. Even when he covered another team, there was a clear indication that it was measured against App. Maybe he took constructive criticism from the complaints this year. This article is a clear step in the right direction of being unbiased. If he keeps up with this type of stuff, I think you'll see complaints all but stop.

FCS Go!
June 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM
You guys should all be careful when you talk about Coulson. The last time I mentioned him (a joke on his "reputation" for App St bias) he gave me negative rep points. Beware! xnonono2x

BeauFoster
June 29th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Please explain. I just want to be sure that I understand. Provide some facts to back up that he can't throw the ball.

blueballs
June 29th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Please explain. I just want to be sure that I understand. Provide some facts to back up that he can't throw the ball.

The fact that anybody would be stupid enough to question whether Edwards is the premier QB- let alone the premier player period- in the division just boggles my mind.

The kid has made just about every big play in every big game his team has played since he's been at App. In his first two years he has accomplished things nobody in the history of the division has. This kid will go down as one of the greatest players in the history of the division even if he doesn't play another down.

To anybody who would thing their guy is better than Edwards, answer these questions: a) Did your guy win the NC as a true freshman? b) Could your guy have pulled off what Edwards did at Michigan playing with an injured shoulder? c) Could your guy have done what Edwards did in the semis last year?

This guy will probably be remembered in the same manner as Adrian Peterson, Tracy Ham, Dave Dickinson, etc. Don't let passion for your programs turn you into a hater who can't appreciate and respect greatness in others.

BeauFoster
June 29th, 2008, 08:09 AM
The fact that anybody would be stupid enough to question whether Edwards is the premier QB- let alone the premier player period- in the division just boggles my mind.

The kid has made just about every big play in every big game his team has played since he's been at App. In his first two years he has accomplished things nobody in the history of the division has. This kid will go down as one of the greatest players in the history of the division even if he doesn't play another down.

To anybody who would thing their guy is better than Edwards, answer these questions: a) Did your guy win the NC as a true freshman? b) Could your guy have pulled off what Edwards did at Michigan playing with an injured shoulder? c) Could your guy have done what Edwards did in the semis last year?

This guy will probably be remembered in the same manner as Adrian Peterson, Tracy Ham, Dave Dickinson, etc. Don't let passion for your programs turn you into a hater who can't appreciate and respect greatness in others.

xoutofrepx

slostang
June 29th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Great post and spot on.

gophoenix
June 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Edwards is a great.

But let's be honest. Edwards has a host of players, nearly 2 deep at every position, that make him great. To be honest, how good would Edwards seem if he was playing without the support cast that he has? Where would Edwards be without Elder leading the team on any number of occasions? Give the rest of the team their just recognition. Without a line as good as they are, receivers who can catch nearly anything, RBs that as as good as they've been, and a defense who can score, Edwards wouldn't seem nearly as good as he is.

smallcollegefbfan
June 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Edwards is a great.

But let's be honest. Edwards has a host of players, nearly 2 deep at every position, that make him great. To be honest, how good would Edwards seem if he was playing without the support cast that he has? Where would Edwards be without Elder leading the team on any number of occasions? Give the rest of the team their just recognition. Without a line as good as they are, receivers who can catch nearly anything, RBs that as as good as they've been, and a defense who can score, Edwards wouldn't seem nearly as good as he is.

Very true but take AE off the team and they aren't as good either. He is great and so is the rest of the team. Anyone who does not believe Edwards is one of the premier players in the nation is just blind to talent as well.

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
SU's Braynt Lee should be ranked in the top 5. 24 TD's with only 4 int's and a 65.7 completion percentage. Show me someone who had better numbers.

slostang
June 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM
SU's Braynt Lee should be ranked in the top 5. 24 TD's with only 4 int's and a 65.7 completion percentage. Show me someone who had better numbers.

I agree that Lee has the numbers to be ranked with some of the top FCS QBs.

As far as someone with better numbers, Dally had 41 TD's (29 passing and 12 rushing) with only 5 INTs and a 196.7 QB rating.

CopperCat
June 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM
You guys should all be careful when you talk about Coulson. The last time I mentioned him (a joke on his "reputation" for App St bias) he gave me negative rep points. Beware! xnonono2x

Mr. C has all but disappeared from AGS......ironic.xrolleyesx

smallcollegefbfan
June 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Mr. C has all but disappeared from AGS......ironic.xrolleyesx

He had a recent post on the baseball thread talking about the CWS. He is a Fresno State grad and very proud of his school right now.

WCU LawCat
June 29th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Some thoughts for discussion on C's article.

#1) I find it odd that he lists ASU as the #4 QB depth school. App lost its rock solid backup Elder. The top backup on the team is currently the best WR on the team. The next guy in line has yet to put on an App uniform...he is a true freshman and not a transfer. Yeah I know i know he is suppose to be great and Hilary was a great QB in High School but come on! Depth has got to be a MAJOR concern for APP.

#2) I've got a beef and i'm going to go ahead and put it out there. Many people have an issue with "Big C/ Mr. C" because he is an App homer. I have SOME issue with it but my biggest issue is that he seems to do everything he can to keep anything positive for WCU out of the news. QB Adam Hearns only started three games last year for Western. He was the backup to Todd Spitzer. He had more TD's (12 passing 4 rushing) and yards (1375 passing) than starter Spitzer after ONLY 3 STARTS on the season and split time in the other games. Think maybe Hearns (who signed with Syracuse out of HS) is a top new staring QB to watch???...under a new staff? Looking at the article he clearly had better numbers that his top 3 on the list. I quit looking after that.....oh and don't forget after the season when all of the new coaches were hired. The only coaching article not posted at the Sports Network was the hiring of Dennis Wagner at Western Carolina. The SOCON's only new head coach. I don't recall any other note worthy FCS coaching hires not metioned by the Sports Network. Mr. C.....go APP!....beat Western as always.

As a student I hated App. I was suppose to hate our big rival...but I don't hate App as much anymore. I focus on more evil opponents like Ga So who Western has had an even harder time beating than App.

When it comes to Western. Our "wonderful" SN writer (which I do think he does a good job for FCS) I think is either purposely trying to leave App's rival out of the spotlight totally or just can't seem to ever give his rival any props at all. No attention for WCU. Even important coaching hires in the SoCon get missed somehow when its the rival school...Coulson is good for FCS but he could do better...HE JUST DOSEN'T WANT TO!

catamount man
June 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Some thoughts for discussion on C's article.

#1) I find it odd that he lists ASU as the #4 QB depth school. App lost its rock solid backup Elder. The top backup on the team is currently the best WR on the team. The next guy in line has yet to put on an App uniform...he is a true freshman and not a transfer. Yeah I know i know he is suppose to be great and Hilary was a great QB in High School but come on! Depth has got to be a MAJOR concern for APP.

#2) I've got a beef and i'm going to go ahead and put it out there. Many people have an issue with "Big C/ Mr. C" because he is an App homer. I have SOME issue with it but my biggest issue is that he seems to do everything he can to keep anything positive for WCU out of the news. QB Adam Hearns only started three games last year for Western. He was the backup to Todd Spitzer. He had more TD's (12 passing 4 rushing) and yards (1375 passing) than starter Spitzer after ONLY 3 STARTS on the season and split time in the other games. Think maybe Hearns (who signed with Syracuse out of HS) is a top new staring QB to watch???...under a new staff? Looking at the article he clearly had better numbers that his top 3 on the list. I quit looking after that.....oh and don't forget after the season when all of the new coaches were hired. The only coaching article not posted at the Sports Network was the hiring of Dennis Wagner at Western Carolina. The SOCON's only new head coach. I don't recall any other note worthy FCS coaching hires not metioned by the Sports Network. Mr. C.....go APP!....beat Western as always.

As a student I hated App. I was suppose to hate our big rival...but I don't hate App as much anymore. I focus on more evil opponents like Ga So who Western has had an even harder time beating than App.

When it comes to Western. Our "wonderful" SN writer (which I do think he does a good job for FCS) I think is either purposely trying to leave App's rival out of the spotlight totally or just can't seem to ever give his rival any props at all. No attention for WCU. Even important coaching hires in the SoCon get missed somehow when its the rival school...Coulson is good for FCS but he could do better...HE JUST DOSEN'T WANT TO!

You should see LawCat in the stands. This post is calm. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Coulson doesn't bother me one way or the other, although as you said, it was really weird that no mention of Wagner's hire was made. Eh, let's just beat them on the field. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

BEAR
June 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM
2. Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas, Senior, 6-2, 212

Brown made a nice adjustment going from Division II to FCS, and is now considered one of the top pro QB prospects coming out of the next draft class. He's mobile enough to avoid pass rushers and be a bit of a running threat, and possesses one of the strongest arms in FCS. Brown has also led several impressive comebacks for the Bears. The senior, who passed for 3,084 yards and 26 TDs, and 10 interceptions last year, missed three games in 2006 with a broken bone in his throwing hand but still managed 1,858 yards and 18 TDs.

Not bad for a kid from Division II transitioning to Division I with continual rebuilding of the receiving squads and team overall. I think he had 4 or 5 of those INTs against Lousiana Tech (who took Hawaii to the brink the very next game, they've got some great CBs) when all he had to throw to last year was freshman not realizing that they have to go get position on the ball when thrown their way instead of waiting for it to land in their hands xlolx . Anyway, if you get a chance to see Nathan light it up this year, you will see why he's ranked so high. Or just watch ESPN when UCA plays Texas State..xwhistlex xlolx JK

Oh yeah, he also mentioned that this year he is working on his running game..that's Nathan..always thinking of ways to ease the pressure on his WRs. Man i'm excited about this year!

bench
June 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Edwards is a great.

You've got it backwards. Armanti and the system he plays in makes everyone else better. That doesn't minimize his teammates' contributions, but let's face facts - it's a completely different team without him on the field, and his mere presence raises the ceiling for the skill position players surrounding him. Average players can be very good, and good players can potentially be great.

The quarterback isn't just a cog in App's version of the spread. He has to be the catalyst. Whether it offends anyone's personal notions of a team concept or not, in truth it all begins and ends with Armanti.

umassfan
June 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Okay I want to thank Mr C personally for giving Coen the locker room and gym motivation to have his best season yet and ripping up the FCS for his final year. :D

gophoenix
June 30th, 2008, 06:11 AM
You've got it backwards. Armanti and the system he plays in makes everyone else better. That doesn't minimize his teammates' contributions, but let's face facts - it's a completely different team without him on the field, and his mere presence raises the ceiling for the skill position players surrounding him. Average players can be very good, and good players can potentially be great.

The quarterback isn't just a cog in App's version of the spread. He has to be the catalyst. Whether it offends anyone's personal notions of a team concept or not, in truth it all begins and ends with Armanti.

If that was the case, then the team would have fallen apart in the numerous times Edwards was out and Elder was starting. But, it didn't.

Ivytalk
June 30th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Good article by Mr. C!xthumbsupx Nice to see Chris Pizzotti get some props.xnodx

CID1990
June 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Edwards is a great.

I don't know. From what I have seen, Armanti's ability shines the brightest when his OL has failed him on any given play. Plus, he opens up lots of opportunities for the receivers and running backs. I think the latter's success was because of Armanti, not the other way around.

DSUrocks07
June 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Other quarterbacks to watch:

Ryan Alexander, Davidson;
Ryan Berry, South Dakota State;
Cole Bergquist, Montana;
Brett Burke, Monmouth;
Erik Cwalinski, Robert Morris;
Bradley George, Texas State;
Cole Ingle, Drake;
Cody Kirby, Missouri State;
Brandon Landers, Grambling;
Bryant Lee, Southern;
Kevin Rombach, Duquesne;
Bryan Savage, Hofstra;
Lee Sweeney, Tennessee Tech;
Eric Ward, Richmond;
Vashon Winton, Delaware State. xthumbsupx

Winton is a lot better than he's given credit for, he doesn't get to put up numbers due to Lavan's power running offense. Don't forget that it was the QB play that won us the game against Norfolk St. and the MEAC title last year. Its not much of a stretch to put him in the running for conference POTY by the end of the season.

89Hen
June 30th, 2008, 08:37 AM
13. Sean Schaefer, Towson, Senior, 6-1, 205

xconfusedx What is this, his sixth year?! xconfusedx xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
June 30th, 2008, 08:38 AM
IMO coulson did a great job this time...

AppAlum2003
June 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Similar thing happened here... the guy never posts anymore, but can sure give out negative rep points. I PM'd him to find out what the deal was... no response.

UNI Pike
June 30th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I find it interesting that there are a number MVFC teams that are generally ranked highly, but have QBs that barely rate mention. How does everyone see this playing out over the course of the season?

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I find it interesting that there are a number MVFC teams that are generally ranked highly, but have QBs that barely rate mention. How does everyone see this playing out over the course of the season?

Several MVC teams have QBs with little experience heading into the season so that is probably why. If you look at the MVC there is a ton of defensive talent back so perhaps there will be a lot of low scoring games? xthumbsupx