PDA

View Full Version : Who's the owner of the 80 game losing streak?

Panther88
June 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Prairie View, that's who. xnodx

I don't want ANY of you to forget that. To go from a football death sentence (no football), zero football scholarships for 7 consecutive years, transitioning to 15 partial football scholarships while losing 80 consecutive games, and then producing a winning record w/ a certain span is almost remarkable.

Prairie View A&M University, don't ever forget that name. xthumbsupx

93henfan
June 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Agreed. Takes guts to keep going out there during a spell like that.

I can relate as my high school (Milford DE) went 0-40 for the Class of '94, my sister's class. And they weren't just sort of bad. They were God-awful bad.xsmhx They finally recovered and field some decent teams now.

Panther88
June 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
93henfan, there were lopsided scores when we did field a team of "club players," inclusive of guys that NEVER played football in HS xoopsx. I vividly recall the 91-0 shallacking by Alabama St in 1991, 84-7 by Grambling, 60+ to 0 other times throughout the year(s) following 1991. I'll never forget that and I don't want anyone here to forget it either.

When Prairie View A&M wins the SWAC this fall, it should yield some appreciation on where we came from and all we went through over the last few years.

No one else could endure but Prairie View A&M! We're still standing and we're winning (again)! xthumbsupx

bjtheflamesfan
June 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
If Prarie View A&M wins the SWAC they should be considered for an ESPY or something because to go from at 80 game losing streak (and leading Sportscenter the night they won) is pretty remarkable

Panther88
June 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
History in the making and all here will be privy to witness!

Enjoy the show! xthumbsupx

BgJag
June 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM
When Prairie View A&M wins the SWAC this fall,

Puff and pass!xeekx

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
If Prairie View A&M wins the SWAC...I'll be praising them left and right.

If Colonel Sanders aka Bobby Reid personally brings me some Frenchy's...I'll be praising him too.

Looking forward to seeing what PVA&M can do against SHSU in September after they blow out the sTu in the LDC!

813Jag
June 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Key game: October 25 SU at PVU. You should clear your schedule for this one TT.

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Key game: October 25 SU at PVU. You should clear your schedule for this one TT.

October and November is the lead-up to the TT's busy season. November through February, the TT is on the road!

Amongst the stops includes visits to Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas and a few places in Louisiana. Got to spread the message of the city of New Orleans. xthumbsupx

Panther88
June 27th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Puff and pass!xeekx

No puffing BG. But, I'll pass some cognac or a cold brew so we can celebratory together. lol

WE ARE.....PRAIRIE VIEW A&M!!!! ;)

813Jag
June 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I'm making this trip for sure, since my niece is at PV all I hear is: xblahblahx xblahblahx.

R.A.
June 28th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Back in the 50s when my dad was growing up in Texas, Prarie View was a top Football power. Are those days back again?

Panther88
June 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Back in the 50s when my dad was growing up in Texas, Prarie View was a top Football power. Are those days back again?

Not even remotely close R.A. lol

PV had a LOCK on black student-athletes in Texas and even as far west as California. Segregated HS championship football games were played on PV's campus so all Coach Nicks said to certain HS coaches was "I want that big boy here on campus next fall!" lol Those days are looooooooong over and we're scrapping for some semblance of academic and athletic talent. Can you imagine being in that type position? It's still occurring today as UT-Austin does it by hosting state championship football, basketball, track meets, tennis, golf, volleyball, et al sports about their campus. xreadx You know their coaching staff puts a buzz in HS coaches ears about their "students." xreadx

BgJag
June 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
No puffing BG. But, I'll pass some cognac or a cold brew so we can celebratory together. lol

WE ARE.....PRAIRIE VIEW A&M!!!! ;)

Don't run inside the stadium early like you did last year. xpeacex There still was about an hour worth of drinking before kickoff.xnonono2x

Panther88
June 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Don't run inside the stadium early like you did last year. xpeacex There still was about an hour worth of drinking before kickoff.xnonono2x

Right. I'll listen for you and others before we go inside. The signal inside the stadium (celly) is, well...terrible.

BTW, SU - 12; PV -27. ;) lol

CID1990
June 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
My old field training officer (who works for the Denver P.D. now) played for Prairie View in the 1980s.

GAD
July 1st, 2008, 08:44 PM
Not even remotely close R.A. lol

PV had a LOCK on black student-athletes in Texas and even as far west as California. Segregated HS championship football games were played on PV's campus so all Coach Nicks said to certain HS coaches was "I want that big boy here on campus next fall!" lol Those days are looooooooong over and we're scrapping for some semblance of academic and athletic talent. Can you imagine being in that type position? It's still occurring today as UT-Austin does it by hosting state championship football, basketball, track meets, tennis, golf, volleyball, et al sports about their campus. xreadx You know their coaching staff puts a buzz in HS coaches ears about their "students." xreadx
I read an interview with Coach Nicks back in the early '90s. It stated that he had an incredible networking system, he had either a coach, teacher, princpal, cafeteria worker, or just someone at ever black high school in the state of Texas. All the best player from all over the state played for him.
FAMU, Grambling, Southern, Morgan State, Tennesee State all had great teams back in those days but in talking with my uncle an a bunch of older HBCU grads from the '50s Prairie View was the most feared, how times have changed

Panther88
July 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM
I read an interview with Coach Nicks back in the early '90s. It stated that he had an incredible networking system, he had either a coach, teacher, princpal, cafeteria worker, or just someone at ever black high school in the state of Texas. All the best player from all over the state played for him.
FAMU, Grambling, Southern, Morgan State, Tennesee State all had great teams back in those days but in talking with my uncle an a bunch of older HBCU grads from the '50s Prairie View was the most feared, how times have changed

This is true. Prairie View was a mini-"mecca" during those times. The double-edged sword of integration. It cut Prairie View A&M going and coming as well. (opened new doors yet closed some as well) xreadx I really don't think those days will ever return (that type talent). When I look UT-Austin/TxA&M/TxTech, etc - I'm almost mesmorized imagining how things were back in the day. xreadx

Panther88
September 21st, 2008, 09:25 AM
Again, I want EVERYONE here to remember who owns the 80-game losing streak. xreadx

PV is 3-0 and has not done this since the 1964 SWAC championship season. xthumbsupx

Panther88
October 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
From an 0-80 consistent rout every single week to currently, 6-1.

It's almost mind boggling. xbowx

813Jag
October 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
The Jags are bringing the O to Houston, just hope this doesn't turn into a shootout.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
I'll be there!

813Jag
October 21st, 2008, 10:50 AM
my schedule won't let me get away, this game has turned into a family affair for me.

Panther88
October 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
my schedule won't let me get away, this game has turned into a family affair for me.

Yep. We abducted your niece and forced her to become a Panther. lol It was tough getting the Jagism out of her.

Seriously, it's my understanding SU is sort of banged up from the FAMU deal. Got this from The Advocate:
"Quarterback Bryant Lee, receivers Juamorris Stewart and Del Roberts, drop linebacker Gary Chatman all did not participate in Sunday’s light practice at A.W. Mumford Stadium."

I want to see a good game. :) I want y'all to beat up on Grambling after we beat up on y'all. However, there is ONE thing I'm not sure of. If PV beats SU who then beats GSU.... and all win-out and have identical conference marks of 6-1, who is the SWAC West rep? xconfusedx Will they look @ common opponents and margin of victory? xconfusedx I think the SWAC is about to put it's foot up it's ass w/ this. xreadx

813Jag
October 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM
Yep. We abducted your niece and forced her to become a Panther. lol It was tough getting the Jagism out of her.

Seriously, it's my understanding SU is sort of banged up from the FAMU deal. Got this from The Advocate:
"Quarterback Bryant Lee, receivers Juamorris Stewart and Del Roberts, drop linebacker Gary Chatman all did not participate in Sunday’s light practice at A.W. Mumford Stadium."

I want to see a good game. :) I want y'all to beat up on Grambling after we beat up on y'all. However, there is ONE thing I'm not sure of. If PV beats SU who then beats GSU.... and all win-out and have identical conference marks of 6-1, who is the SWAC West rep? xconfusedx Will they look @ common opponents and margin of victory? xconfusedx I think the SWAC is about to put it's foot up it's ass w/ this. xreadx
Y'all got some good kool aid for her to drink. She started talking trash as soon as the clock hit 0:00 in BR. xlolx

I haven't heard anything but I think all will play.

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Prairie View, yes the owner of the 80-consecutive game losing skid in the 90s, is now 7-1 after defeating Southern University 24-23 @ Houston's Reliant venue.

From laughing stock to contender. Amazing huh?

813Jag
October 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Prairie View, yes the owner of the 80-consecutive game losing skid in the 90s, is now 7-1 after defeating Southern University 24-23 @ Houston's Reliant venue.

From laughing stock to contender. Amazing huh?
Good win for the Panthers, xthumbsupx hopefully the Jags can win out and make the SWAC West a complete mess. xlolx

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Good win for the Panthers, xthumbsupx hopefully the Jags can win out and make the SWAC West a complete mess. xlolx

You don't know how bad I want SU and sTu to bust GSU in the mouth! xlolx

I'm wearing all sorts of SU garments over the next few weeks. But still, PV has to take care of it's business as well (next 2 games).

slycat
October 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM
That is great. Congrats to Prairie View.

pather
October 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM
have heart indiana state....oh wait....that might be asking too much

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM
have heart indiana state....oh wait....that might be asking too much

80 consecutive games pather. Let me know when ISU gets to 60. lol I might start to pay attention to them. xlolx Afterall, we don't want anyone breaking our record anytime soon. xlolx

catamount man
October 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM
PVA&M wins the SWAC, I will gladly buy a hat of theirs.

Seriously, congrats to you guys. I still recall the highlights of that 92-0 to AA&M in, I think, 1991. OUCH!

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM
PVA&M wins the SWAC, I will gladly buy a hat of theirs.

Seriously, congrats to you guys. I still recall the highlights of that 92-0 to AA&M in, I think, 1991. OUCH!

Good deal cat man! xthumbsupx 2 more games to go and then our future rests w/ Southern University and Texas Southern University. lol Not Grambling. xlolx

Also cat, that was Alabama State in 1991 led by all world LBer Reggie Barlow (the current coach there). It was our first year back after dismantling the football program a year prior. I'm not kidding, there were actually guys playing football for us that didn't even play HS football. They were indeed first timers. Hopefully those scores and losses from 1991-> make sense when you consider the "caliber" of students we had playing vs opposing student-athletes. lol

813Jag
October 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Good deal cat man! xthumbsupx 2 more games to go and then our future rests w/ Southern University and Texas Southern University. lol Not Grambling. xlolx

Also cat, that was Alabama State in 1991 led by all world LBer Reggie Barlow (the current coach there). It was our first year back after dismantling the football program a year prior. I'm not kidding, there were actually guys playing football for us that didn't even play HS football. They were indeed first timers. Hopefully those scores and losses from 1991-> make sense when you consider the "caliber" of students we had playing vs opposing student-athletes. lol
Too much football left to break out that SU gear. xlolx The Jags have to get past UAPB and Alabama State first.

catamount man
October 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM

WOW!!!!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
The Bayou Classic is PVAMU's only hope to win the SWAC at this point. I'm not putting any money on it.

It'd make a good 'feel-good' story, though.

813Jag
October 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
The Bayou Classic is PVAMU's only hope to win the SWAC at this point. I'm not putting any money on it.

Hopefully PVU drop one because there's one thing Southern knows how to do and that's beat Grambling. xlolx

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Too much football left to break out that SU gear. xlolx The Jags have to get past UAPB and Alabama State first.

I will be HIGHLY disappointed if SU lets us down. lol I want SU to win out. xreadx It only helps pad the fact that we were a pretty good team this year. xthumbsupx

GO SU!!!!
GO TSU!!!

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM
WOW!!!!!!

Wished I were joking or kidding about it but I'm not. I actually talked to them pre- and post- game. :) I recall 2 specifically who said they weren't good enough to play in HS and since they were seniors about to graduate, they thought they'd give it a shot. It was pre-Grambling 1991. I think we lost 84-7 or 77-7. :) One of those. :(

Those guys left a very lasting impression on me, considering I thought myself a pretty decent athlete during those olden times. lol

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Southern owns Grambling FCS_*_FBS. :) I have a few SU tee-shirts I'm going to break out shortly. lol

GO SOUTHERN!! BEAT GRAMBLING!!!! xlolx

813Jag
October 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I will be HIGHLY disappointed if SU lets us down. lol I want SU to win out. xreadx It only helps pad the fact that we were a pretty good team this year. xthumbsupx

GO SU!!!!
GO TSU!!!
After two close losses in two weeks (3 of 4 total losses by 6 points xeekx) I don't know which SU team will show up to play.

Panther88
October 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
After two close losses in two weeks (3 of 4 total losses by 6 points xeekx) I don't know which SU team will show up to play.

This one: JAG'S FOOT...SOME TEAM'S ASS!!!!!

That's the one we in Pantherland want to see and hear about!!!!!!! xthumbsupx xnodx xlolx

Panther88
November 16th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Prairie View completes it's regular season @ 9-1 w/ the win over Alcorn State University 37-3. From 0-80 to 9-1 in one lifetime. xthumbsupx

I'm still searching for the best possible route to the FCS Selection Committee's mainframe so that I can install GetPrairieViewInThePlayoffs2008 v1.0. :D lol

Dammit we WANT to go to San Marcos or Lake Charles. xreadx

Panther88
November 16th, 2008, 05:41 AM
93henfan, there were lopsided scores when we did field a team of "club players," inclusive of guys that NEVER played football in HS xoopsx. I vividly recall the 91-0 shallacking by Alabama St in 1991, 84-7 by Grambling, 60+ to 0 other times throughout the year(s) following 1991. I'll never forget that and I don't want anyone here to forget it either.

When Prairie View A&M wins the SWAC this fall, it should yield some appreciation on where we came from and all we went through over the last few years.

No one else could endure but Prairie View A&M! We're still standing and we're winning (again)! xthumbsupx

I was pretty prophetic w/ my words huh? lol Even though we haven't outright won the SWAC W. :)

WE WANT THE FCS PLAYOFFS!!!

813Jag
November 16th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I was pretty prophetic w/ my words huh? lol Even though we haven't outright won the SWAC W. :)

WE WANT THE FCS PLAYOFFS!!!
Looks like you've got your wish. The Bayou Classic is for all the marbles. I'm sure the SWAC will do the right thing for business. xreadx

TexasTerror
November 16th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Dammit we WANT to go to San Marcos or Lake Charles. xreadx

SLC is going on the road to Weber State, Montana or Northern Iowa. No chance for a SWAC visit to the SLC...

Your GPI will not get you into the playoffs unfortunately.