PDA

View Full Version : Akron (via JuCo) QB Interested in UD Transfer

93henfan
June 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM
As if we didn't have enough QBs already, here's another one knocking on UD's door:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080627/SPORTS07/80627032

Another potential transfer -- Sean Hakes, who spent a year at Akron before transferring to Orange Coast Community College in California -- is visiting now and could join the cast. His mother, Dana, said from their home near Forth Worth this morning that Hakes has been very impressed with everything about UD and a decision about whether or not he'll come will be made after he returns home. It sounds very likely.

ChickenMan
June 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
This can hardly be termed 'good news'.. if UD is looking to bring in another QB this fall.. it's pretty obvious that the Ohio St QB transfer isn't going to make any Hen fan forget Joe Flacco.

93henfan
June 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
This can hardly be termed 'good news'.. if UD is looking to bring in another QB this fall.. it's pretty obvious that the Ohio St QB transfer isn't going to make any Hen fan forget Joe Flacco.

Yep! KT mentions as much in the blog. Says he has a funky throwing motion.

I still think Ritacco might be the dude. It would be nice to open up a can of STFU on the UD-is-a-tranfer-school windbags on this site.xnodx

ASUTed
June 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
UD is a transfer school

ChickenMan
June 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM
UD is a transfer school

Next time... get some 'facts' before posting on a topic that you obviously know very little about...

93henfan
June 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM
ASUTed: already developing a reputation as a Delaware, or more precisely Flacco, HATER. Just look at his 15 posts. You'd think someone would have some class when their team has had such a great run the past three years, but no. He's a sharp tool (emphasis on the tool part).

ASUTed
June 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I am just trying to pay back all the over confident delaware fans. You guys are easy to get riled up, and also you lost to us bad.

downbythebeach
June 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
UD gets a bad name because their transfers usually end up being the best players on the team

You guys do get a lot of transfers each year, but there are certainly teams that get more....even Stonybrook prob had more last year

McNeese75
June 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I am just trying to pay back all the over confident delaware fans. You guys are easy to get riled up, and also you lost to us bad.

Kinda late to be getting on the band wagon now don't you think??? xcoffeex

Hoyadestroya85
June 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I'm fine with the odd transfer.. but i think there should be some kinda cap on this.. it's becoming ridiculous.. you figure fall camp is about to start..
KC seems to have no problem doing it, but other schools with higher admissions standards can't keep up with these state schools
also, these coaches don't build the same relationship with these players as they do with those who are recruited...

GannonFan
June 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm fine with the odd transfer.. but i think there should be some kinda cap on this.. it's becoming ridiculous.. you figure fall camp is about to start..
KC seems to have no problem doing it, but other schools with higher admissions standards can't keep up with these state schools
also, these coaches don't build the same relationship with these players as they do with those who are recruited...

The admission standards thing is really a bad argument - it's not like Delaware is bringing in questionable academic transfers, and besides, academic standards are whatever you want them to be. Just because you make a choice to be one way doesn't mean that others have to follow suit. nova has shown no problem taking questionable recruits when it comes to basketball, heck, some of those guys couldn't make it into the state schools you ridicule in the above post. Which nova sport should everyone else have to hew to when it comes to this discussion? And why should we assume that a school like nova doesn't already lower admission standards for football when it clearly had in other sports?

As for the "building the same relationship" argument, that's bogus as well. Any recruit, high school or transfer, is a piece of guesswork. You can never have a full and complete idea of who a person is just from whatever communication a coach has with a recruit. High school kids are almost just that, kids, who will all of a sudden be thrusted into a college environment for the first time and will have to balance that with playing a sport at a pretty high level - needless to say, some of them don't make the transition well and plenty of coaches have failed to forsee that.

If you don't like that your school doesn't take transfers then that's a different issue. There are all types of transfers and not all are disgruntled, academically weak thugs you are insinuating they are. Shawn Johnson carried a near 4.0 GPA in a bio field while graduating from Duke in 4 years. Garron Bible was all-academic at Notre Dame while also graduating early. It's no black mark that UD took those guys - they were great in the classroom, great out of it, and pretty good football players to boot. Those guys would have been at the head of the class academically at any private school. And most of the transfers UD's taken in the past 6 years are pretty similar to that. Just because you're upset that your school has arbitrarily choosen not to take transfers, or many since nova's certainly taken transfers in the past, doesn't really excuse your unsubstantiated elitist view of how other's take transfers. Tsk tsk would be the pithy response I suppose.

Hoyadestroya85
June 28th, 2008, 11:44 PM
The admission standards thing is really a bad argument - it's not like Delaware is bringing in questionable academic transfers, and besides, academic standards are whatever you want them to be. Just because you make a choice to be one way doesn't mean that others have to follow suit. nova has shown no problem taking questionable recruits when it comes to basketball, heck, some of those guys couldn't make it into the state schools you ridicule in the above post. Which nova sport should everyone else have to hew to when it comes to this discussion? And why should we assume that a school like nova doesn't already lower admission standards for football when it clearly had in other sports?

As for the "building the same relationship" argument, that's bogus as well. Any recruit, high school or transfer, is a piece of guesswork. You can never have a full and complete idea of who a person is just from whatever communication a coach has with a recruit. High school kids are almost just that, kids, who will all of a sudden be thrusted into a college environment for the first time and will have to balance that with playing a sport at a pretty high level - needless to say, some of them don't make the transition well and plenty of coaches have failed to forsee that.

If you don't like that your school doesn't take transfers then that's a different issue. There are all types of transfers and not all are disgruntled, academically weak thugs you are insinuating they are. Shawn Johnson carried a near 4.0 GPA in a bio field while graduating from Duke in 4 years. Garron Bible was all-academic at Notre Dame while also graduating early. It's no black mark that UD took those guys - they were great in the classroom, great out of it, and pretty good football players to boot. Those guys would have been at the head of the class academically at any private school. And most of the transfers UD's taken in the past 6 years are pretty similar to that. Just because you're upset that your school has arbitrarily choosen not to take transfers, or many since nova's certainly taken transfers in the past, doesn't really excuse your unsubstantiated elitist view of how other's take transfers. Tsk tsk would be the pithy response I suppose.

I see your point.. but i think you're seeing things through rose colored glasses... There are 2 FBS transfers on Villanova, one was a walk on at Pitt and the other didn't play a single game at Duke..
But I enjoy the fact that Andy Talley recruited Brian Westbrook, Ray Ventrone, Christian Gaddis, Brian Finneran and Matt Sherry.. All of them have made it to the league and Villanova was the only step along the way..
I just think that there is somewhat of a problem with coaches skimming through another team's garbage.. and that's the point I have to make about it

I know we will probably never see eye to eye, but i think the rules need to at least be changed so they have to sit out a year, or lose a year of eligibility.. because its simply too easy to do as it is right now

GannonFan
June 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I see your point.. but i think you're seeing things through rose colored glasses... There are 2 FBS transfers on Villanova, one was a walk on at Pitt and the other didn't play a single game at Duke..
But I enjoy the fact that Andy Talley recruited Brian Westbrook, Ray Ventrone, Christian Gaddis, Brian Finneran and Matt Sherry.. All of them have made it to the league and Villanova was the only step along the way..
I just think that there is somewhat of a problem with coaches skimming through another team's garbage.. and that's the point I have to make about it

I know we will probably never see eye to eye, but i think the rules need to at least be changed so they have to sit out a year, or lose a year of eligibility.. because its simply too easy to do as it is right now

So you're on record, then, that just because nova has taken a decision entirely on their own (in one sport at least) not to play within the full extent of the perfectly legal rules, that you would now like to punish student athletes who are merely doing what any other non-sport student can do and find a better institution in which to get an education and play out their eligibility? These students, some of whom actually graduate early (most of those with honors) and have eligibility left over, and those other students who for whatever reason (coaching changes, overstocking at their position, injury, etc) cannot get playing time at their original choice of school should now be singled out and punished because they are, in your own words, "garbage"? xsmhx

While you are certainly demonstrating your committment to the sport aspect of college athletics (and specifically your desire to see it conform to the particular way Talley has chosen to build his program at nova), you are also displaying an amazing disregard and derision to the student athletes who play the game. But hey, if it means you feel better as a spectator, by all means.

Oh, and seeing and appreciating a school's talent improve to the point of getting to the league is not an either/or scenario when it comes to where the recruit initially came from (high school or another college) - UD's got a whole lot more guys who made it to the league who only went to UD versus those that came from, as you say, the "garbage" dump.

ChickenMan
June 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Delaware is hardly a 'transfer' school.. their currenet roster includes only FIVE FBS transfers.. a total that is far less than many FCS schools. The reality is that the ONLY reason Delaware gets the transfer rap, is because many of the UD transfers (Flacco, Hall, Johnson, Boler) became some of the top players in all of the FCS.

It's a quality.. rather than a quanity issue and it's pretty obvious that some fans here don't understand the difference.

Hoyadestroya85
June 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Delaware is hardly a 'transfer' school.. their currenet roster includes only FIVE FBS transfers.. a total that is far less than many FCS schools. The reality is that the ONLY reason Delaware gets the transfer rap, is because many of the UD transfers (Flacco, Hall, Johnson, Boler) became some of the top players in all of the FCS.

It's a quality.. rather than a quanity issue and it's pretty obvious that some fans here don't understand the difference.
I know, you at Delaware are not nearly the worst.. Omar Cuff is an example of a player you guys have that is an example of that...
this is not only an attack on UD, I admire the way that their program is run.. and they generally have good kids going into the program.. but a kid Like Perrillloux who gets thrown off a team shouldn't have the luxury of being eligible the next year. I have no problem with you guys getting transfers, I just think that there should be a one year wait because i think it happens too much (especially with HBCUs)

slostang
June 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Great point. The other thing is those players have played big roles in some of UD's biggest years.

bleedblue
June 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM

UD actually offered Flacco a scholly out of HS, so there was a realtionship built. That may explain, partially, why Joe transfered to UD.

GannonFan
June 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I know, you at Delaware are not nearly the worst.. Omar Cuff is an example of a player you guys have that is an example of that...
this is not only an attack on UD, I admire the way that their program is run.. and they generally have good kids going into the program.. but a kid Like Perrillloux who gets thrown off a team shouldn't have the luxury of being eligible the next year. I have no problem with you guys getting transfers, I just think that there should be a one year wait because i think it happens too much (especially with HBCUs)

And the problem you, and others have, when they bring up the transfer issue is that you talk about kids like Perrilloux, the immensely talented but basically the type of guys who wouldn't ever sniff college (because of academics) if they didn't play football, and the types who only stay in college because of football and programs carrying them through it so they can stay eligible. And often, those guys come with rap sheets a mile long as well.

The reality is, those guys are pretty much the small minority when it comes to why people transfer. They get the headlines and they get the attention in message boards like this with people with other agendas, but the majority of kids who transfer are quality kids, both academically and socially, who just found themselves in a tough spot with the choice they made late in their high school careers. And often that tough choice is made even worse by coaching changes (remember, there's no restriction on coaches walking away for brighter pastures, players left behind be damned) or injuries or something else that has nothing negative to do with the player. I can list a bunch of recent transfers that, from an academic quality standpoint, would have been accepted to any school at the FCS level, assuming those schools accepted transfers. It's an arbitrary decision by some schools to not accept students like these. They're welcome to make that decision, but the NCAA and most other schools picked the system we have now. Dem da breaks.

phillyAPP
June 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM
And the problem you, and others have, when they bring up the transfer issue is that you talk about kids like Perrilloux, the immensely talented but basically the type of guys who wouldn't ever sniff college (because of academics) if they didn't play football, and the types who only stay in college because of football and programs carrying them through it so they can stay eligible. And often, those guys come with rap sheets a mile long as well.

The reality is, those guys are pretty much the small minority when it comes to why people transfer. They get the headlines and they get the attention in message boards like this with people with other agendas, but the majority of kids who transfer are quality kids, both academically and socially, who just found themselves in a tough spot with the choice they made late in their high school careers. And often that tough choice is made even worse by coaching changes (remember, there's no restriction on coaches walking away for brighter pastures, players left behind be damned) or injuries or something else that has nothing negative to do with the player. I can list a bunch of recent transfers that, from an academic quality standpoint, would have been accepted to any school at the FCS level, assuming those schools accepted transfers. It's an arbitrary decision by some schools to not accept students like these. They're welcome to make that decision, but the NCAA and most other schools picked the system we have now. Dem da breaks.

You are really working the "logic" arguement very well. xthumbsupx

What would John Channey say about his theories ?

Give kids a chance !!!!!!!! and they are kids experiencing their first time away from home and some make a few bad decisions.

93henfan
June 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
What would John Channey say about his theories ?

First, John Chaney would threaten to kill you. Second, he'd send in his biggest goon to hard foul you and break your arm.xnodx Oh no wait, we're talking football, not basketball... my bad.

I miss Chaney. He was really getting to be fun to watch as he got older, angrier, and more senile.

Hoyadestroya85
June 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
First, John Chaney would threaten to kill you. Second, he'd send in his biggest goon to hard foul you and break your arm.xnodx Oh no wait, we're talking football, not basketball... my bad.

I miss Chaney. He was really getting to be fun to watch as he got older, angrier, and more senile.
I dunno.. his replacement is Frantastic

phillyAPP
June 29th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I dunno.. his replacement is Frantastic

Fran is a very nice guy.

He used to show up in Narberth Summer league to watch games and talk with people.

Temple did good with him.

My point about Chaney is that he fought to give kids a chance from all kinds of backgrounds.

Hoyadestroya85
June 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Fran is a very nice guy.

He used to show up in Narberth Summer league to watch games and talk with people.

Temple did good with him.

My point about Chaney is that he fought to give kids a chance from all kinds of backgrounds.

Yeah, but i don't know if that was always a good thing

phillyAPP
June 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM

lmao

He was OLD OLD SCHOOL. God bless him he was trying maybe too hard. He almost exploded !!!!!!!!!