PDA

View Full Version : NDSU's QB Situation

AmsterBison
June 26th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Not sure that it's been mentioned but NDSU's two backup QBs are gone: one graduated and the other transferred. That means that NDSU only has one QB on the roster right now, Nick Mertens.

NDSU will have two QBs coming in as freshmen. Kind of a scary situation since, while we expect big things from Mertens, the QB position was the biggest question mark on the team going into the season.

Rob Iola
June 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Mertens +
Freshmen QBs -

footballer23
June 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Apparently there is a JuCo kid out of LA that I believe is visiting this week. His numbers last year weren't very good, but his coach said he didn't have any supporting cast. I guess he was the LA area player of the year or something along those lines his senior year in high school.

X-Factor
June 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM
We do have several players currently on the team that played QB in high school. I hope they find a JUCO or transfer, but I don't want them to throw a scholly just for a warm body. We can make a backup QB if nothing else materializes. Maybe just throw in Bussey at QB for a few plays. 250lb linebacker/option QB...haha

MplsBison
June 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Bohl will bluntly slap down any mere thought of running an option QB, as he should.

Keep dreaming though.

We will be offering a scholarship to a true QB, drop back passer. That is what fits our system.

TransAmBison
June 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Mertens +
Freshmen QBs -

Good one! xlolx

footballer23
June 26th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Bohl will bluntly slap down any mere thought of running an option QB, as he should.

Keep dreaming though.

We will be offering a scholarship to a true QB, drop back passer. That is what fits our system.

The guy from LA is a drop-back passer... we should be OK there. Troy Jackson is the name and I guess he hopes to sign with NDSU. His other FCS option is Howard. His coach said he has a cannon for an arm, doesn't run real well but he can avoid the rush.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Seems some NDSU people think Mertens will be fine. You guys are just worried about your backup right? The rumor is Mertens should be a very good one. Am I right in that?

phillyAPP
June 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Not sure that it's been mentioned but NDSU's two backup QBs are gone: one graduated and the other transferred. That means that NDSU only has one QB on the roster right now, Nick Mertens.

NDSU will have two QBs coming in as freshmen. Kind of a scary situation since, while we expect big things from Mertens, the QB position was the biggest question mark on the team going into the season.

Excuse me................... May I hijack this thread ?............ And have you met a girl named Hester about 43 years old ? .......... I dated her 20 years ago.

onbison09
June 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Seems some NDSU people think Mertens will be fine. You guys are just worried about your backup right? The rumor is Mertens should be a very good one. Am I right in that?

You are correct...We hope.

X-Factor
June 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Mertens has the #1 locked up. From what I have seen he has a lot of potential, just not a lot of experience. We are expecting big things from him this fall, hopefully whoever signs for the backup job is merely an insurance policy.

MplsBison
June 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM
The nice thing is that our running game can bowl over any defense in the country that wants to try stacking 9 in the box against us.

Should make Merten's transition easier.

AmsterBison
June 26th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I think most people are happy with Mertens - it's just it used to be a cliche (at NDSU at least) that the Bison are only as good as their backup QB... er, actually, even though people said that, it was never really true - I don't think NDSU ever won a national championship with the starting QB injured.

BTW, nope, phillyApp, I've never known anybody named Hester.