A redshirt sophmore that produced:

-84 tackles

-team-high 18 tackles for a loss

-tied team lead with five sacks

-forced two fumbles =

a pretty big defensive loss for any team

Appaholic
June 24th, 2008, 11:22 PM
That's not cool......not cool at all.....hate it for him, but he let his teammates down.....:(

feb18blacksunday
June 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
He's in summer school working hard, but knows he screwed up. Hopefully he'll get his act together. Reminds me of one Jason Hunter.

appmountaineer
June 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Dang thats a big loss on the line... i'm disappointed he was such leader last year playing through all his injuries.

CID1990
June 25th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Somebody find the guy a basket weaving tutor.

CopperCat
June 25th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Somebody find the guy a basket weaving tutor.

There isn't enough of them to go around for the rest of the team.:D

AshevilleApp2
June 25th, 2008, 06:58 AM
It's a shame. But rules is rules.

93henfan
June 25th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Wow, that'll hurt. Make sure Armanti is hitting the books! Keep him passing tests and healthy and you'll be OK.

neersnbeers
June 25th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Wow, that'll hurt. Make sure Armanti is hitting the books! Keep him passing tests and healthy and you'll be OK.

What you talking bout? AE is on the dean's list.
I hope this is an embarrassment to Gary. Get it right next year I guess.

B&G
June 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Fortunately the D-Line looked to have a lot of depth. Losing Tharrington and Tim Washington hurts but maybe someone like Jabari Fletcher will have a breakout season.

mcveyrl
June 25th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I'm not hip to all the eligibility rules, but I'm assuming that he does not get this year back. So he will just have next year. Is that right?

Either way, it's a big loss for App. You really have hope the guy does learn from his mistakes and rights the ship.

hapapp
June 25th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I'm not hip to all the eligibility rules, but I'm assuming that he does not get this year back. So he will just have next year. Is that right?

Either way, it's a big loss for App. You really have hope the guy does learn from his mistakes and rights the ship.

Correct. Since he redshirted his freshmen year, he will lose this year and have only his senior year of eligibility left.

We have a lot of depth at the position, but much of it is still relatively young. We do have two transfers who are being counted on heavily as well. However, you can't lose two cogs (Tharrington and Washington) like that and not be concerned. It certainly opens the door for some guys to step up.

The Cats
June 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Even for an asu player, I hate to see anyone take themselves out of the game like that. I'm sure, that this will make a huge impact on any other borderline academic players (if there are any).

As much as I hate to admit it, there is no doubt the program is being run right when a player of this calibar has to sit out for a year.

Grizzaholic
June 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I am pretty sure someone else will step up and you will be OK in the end.

ericsaid
June 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM
armanti was on the deans list. there are more than capable players on ASU's roster to step up and fill the void. Malcolm bennett im sure will start in his place. Anthony williams will probably split time with gordy witte.

BDKJMU
June 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Tharrington made Sports Network 3rd team All American last season, and was on Lindy's and Sporting News pre season 1st team.

Now look at ASU's d line vs JMU o-line for the big game.

JMU lost a 2 yr starter at o-guard in the offseason, Vernon Eason a rising 4th yr junior, which will hurt some, but not too much, as Eason was no All American, didn't get named to the 1st-3rd team All CAA teams. He will be the only o-lineman not back from the 2 deep, plus there is a transfer guard from WVU who might end up starting in that spot. Overall with 4 of 5 instead of all 5 starters back, will be a better o-line, maybe slightly less than it would have been if Eason hadn't left.

ASU's run defense wasn't stout last season to begin with, which I read and saw 1st hand with the JMU game. With all 7 starters slated to come back, I know the run defense would be much improved but the ? mark would be the secondary losing all 4 starters. Losing Washington and now Tharrington I think ASU's run defense will still be improved, but not as much as it would have been, and makes ASU a much shakier #1.

blueballs
June 25th, 2008, 11:10 AM
App struggled against strong running teams last year, giving up over 30 to Michigan, GSU, and Wofford; and were fortunate to escape against JMU.

Tharrington is a good player and I would venture to say App's best DL despite playing hurt a good portion of last season. This hurts them BIG TIME, already depleting what has to be considered a team weakness based on its performance last year.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Not sure it will hurt that much in terms of talent. His leadership on the field and experience is a loss but they return Jabari Fletcher, Tony Robertson, and have newcomers like Quavian Lewis to provide help.

citdog
June 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM
wow. "shine 101" must be a tough majorxnodx xnodx

DLS
June 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM
i feel a hell of a lot better about the secondary knowing billy riddle is coming back this season.

as far as the new guys coming on to the line (bennett, lewis), i get the feeling bennett will be great and lewis could go either way. all in all the DL still looks like its going to be better than last year.

Saint3333
June 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM

take it to the smack boardxrolleyesx

Losing an all-american always hurts, but with the past two recruiting classes the d-line should still be stronger than last year's.

Bennett and Williams could be the best inside d-line ASU has had in year's. A couple of the freshman DEs really shined at the end of the season last year and should be ready to step in for Tharrington.

CharlestonAppFan
June 25th, 2008, 12:49 PM
App struggled against strong running teams last year, giving up over 30 to Michigan, GSU, and Wofford; and were fortunate to escape against JMU.

Tharrington is a good player and I would venture to say App's best DL despite playing hurt a good portion of last season. This hurts them BIG TIME, already depleting what has to be considered a team weakness based on its performance last year.

I think it hurts us from a leadership standpoint, but I'm not sure I'm buying into it hurting BIG TIME xsmhx . It seems like every year someone stands out and has a break out year on the DL (see Jeffries, Stoval, Murrell, Hunter, Tharrington, etc.). App has always been a great DL factory in the FCS....

Yes, the defense gave up 30 points on those occasions, but without growing pains great players cannot mature and become their own. And as far as depletion, this is the area with the most talent (some would argue RB or LB though) on the team IMO for this year xnodx .

And yes also, JMU gave us a hell of a game last year, but we won. I was speaking with a THE Citadel football player on Monday and asked him the differences between App and everyone other team they play. His main point........................

"The one thing that App has a tremendous advantage in that no other team we (The Citadel) play against has, is that the players AND coaches have been there and done that on a bigger stage than any of the teams in FCS. It's like they (App) know what to expect, stay disciplined enough to execute properly, and know how not to let any play or series of plays affect how they approach their gameplan." He said that the level of preparation and confidence in the players were not matched, and that included Wisconsin.

BDKJMU
June 25th, 2008, 01:05 PM
i feel a hell of a lot better about the secondary knowing billy riddle is coming back this season.

as far as the new guys coming on to the line (bennett, lewis), i get the feeling bennett will be great and lewis could go either way. all in all the DL still looks like its going to be better than last year.

But the bottom line is it is going to be a notch less good than it would have been with Tharrington.

lizrdgizrd
June 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
You ever try to make smooth 'shine? Ain't as easy as it seems. xnonox

asu7
June 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
take it to the smack boardxrolleyesx

Losing an all-american always hurts, but with the past two recruiting classes the d-line should still be stronger than last year's.

Bennett and Williams could be the best inside d-line ASU has had in year's. A couple of the freshman DEs really shined at the end of the season last year and should be ready to step in for Tharrington.

agreed ... do not worry guys you can still expect a better defense from us this year xsmiley_wix

AlphaSigMD
June 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Of course this hurts, but it certainly is not the worst thing that could happen to us.

In all fairness, ASU had plenty of playing time w/o Tharrington on the field last year, because he was constantly getting injured. He would invariably get taped up and come back on the field later in the game(gotta give all the credit in the world for playing through the pain)...but he certainly missed a sizable amount of snaps.

So tharrington is done for the season, is washington also done for the entire season?

Also...billy riddle coming back would be key pickup. Love could use a little more experience along with the freshman we picked up. Maybe the VA tech transfer too...who knows.

Either way, its a loss, and because of it our line will suffer to some extent. I don't know what the overall severity of it will be (and neither does anyone else) until fall. Lets hope for the best, and for Gary to get his academic record back on track for 2009.

Go...gate
June 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Even for an asu player, I hate to see anyone take themselves out of the game like that. I'm sure, that this will make a huge impact on any other borderline academic players (if there are any).

As much as I hate to admit it, there is no doubt the program is being run right when a player of this caliber has to sit out for a year.

My kudos to Moore and ASU. If you don't do the schoolwork, you shouldn't be able to play. That degree is vitally important these days.

The Moody1
June 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Not as tough as "corn-hole 101" that meets at 2:00 am in every Citadel bathroom stall. :)

Skjellyfetti
June 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
is washington also done for the entire season?

I don't believe he is necessarily gone but I wouldn't count on him for the season. He missed some winter workouts and was "indefinitely suspended."

SoCon48
June 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM
OUCH!
(says the Citadel plebe)

citdog
June 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
OUCH!
(says the Citadel plebe)

I AM NOT NOW, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A "PLEBE" THAT IS A WORD FOR THE LESSER MILITARY SCHOOLS.

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I don't believe he is necessarily gone but I wouldn't count on him for the season. He missed some winter workouts and was "indefinitely suspended."

I heard he also didn't have surgery like they wanted him to. He might come back in 2009 from what I have heard.

blueballs
June 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Of course this hurts, but it certainly is not the worst thing that could happen to us.

Correct... the worst case scenario is Armanti going down, especially with Elder (under rated great program player) having exhausted his eligibility.

SoCon48
June 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I AM NOT NOW, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A "PLEBE" THAT IS A WORD FOR THE LESSER MILITARY SCHOOLS.

Sorry I couldn't think of the military school term for an abused flunkie freshman.

Skjellyfetti
June 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm just glad this is happening now instead of after camp or the middle of the season when the coaches can't plan for it.

Gary was great to watch and I hope he gets his a$$ in class so we can see him in 2009. I'll always remember his interview in the locker room after Michigan "All you need to know is... DOWN GOES FRAZIER."

Eaglesrus
June 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
............. He would invariably get taped up and come back on the field later in the game(gotta give all the credit in the world for playing through the pain).........

Amen. Seems like during our game last year I must have said "how can that guy be back in the game" at least 10 times. I really do hope that he gets the academics straight, though i don't relish seeing him back on the field.

SideLine Shooter
June 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM

You are right. They had to go to MSU to train the coaches.

ericsaid
June 25th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Tharrington made Sports Network 3rd team All American last season, and was on Lindy's and Sporting News pre season 1st team.

Now look at ASU's d line vs JMU o-line for the big game.

JMU lost a 2 yr starter at o-guard in the offseason, Vernon Eason a rising 4th yr junior, which will hurt some, but not too much, as Eason was no All American, didn't get named to the 1st-3rd team All CAA teams. He will be the only o-lineman not back from the 2 deep, plus there is a transfer guard from WVU who might end up starting in that spot. Overall with 4 of 5 instead of all 5 starters back, will be a better o-line, maybe slightly less than it would have been if Eason hadn't left.

ASU's run defense wasn't stout last season to begin with, which I read and saw 1st hand with the JMU game. With all 7 starters slated to come back, I know the run defense would be much improved but the ? mark would be the secondary losing all 4 starters. Losing Washington and now Tharrington I think ASU's run defense will still be improved, but not as much as it would have been, and makes ASU a much shakier #1.

App also played in the top running conference in the FCS. They held Tim Hightower and Omar Cuff to less than 100 yards. Who were considered great runningbacks.

Naturally no one is saying anything about Richmonds lack of run defense. Having one player run for more than 300 yards. Noones talking about Eastern Washington who had a back up RB run for more than 100 yards against them.

Rushing defense is all relative to your opponents.

SoCon48
June 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Don't worry, he's taking his basket weaving classes at MSU and transferring the credits back to App.

Rekdiver
June 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM
It's a homer comment I know, but he was still rehabing from injuries and wouldn't have made it a whole year anyway. Doesn't lessen the loss but we are going to be just fine. IF he commits himself to the books and rests his body, (ankles, shoulder) he will have a great senior season.

I know he had plenty of tackles etcetera but I thought his heart was All American but I really thought his play was average on a young struggling d-line.

App is going to be scary.........

CrazyCat
June 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
You are right. They had to go to MSU to train the coaches.

Was that before or after our coaches were in Florida getting a few offensive tips? Anyway, tough break and I'm sure he'll be back next yearxthumbsupx

Touchdown Yosef
June 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I haven't been around much and this is obviously news to me like anyone else but I haven't stayed up on Washington's situation. Last I remember he was "rethinking football" maybe had some family issue. Has it for sure turned out to be an injury and is it definate we won't see him on the field this fall?

This is really going to hurt our rotation and depth, really sorry to hear this news tonight.

phillyAPP
June 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM
It's a homer comment I know, but he was still rehabing from injuries and wouldn't have made it a whole year anyway. Doesn't lessen the loss but we are going to be just fine. IF he commits himself to the books and rests his body, (ankles, shoulder) he will have a great senior season.

I know he had plenty of tackles etcetera but I thought his heart was All American but I really thought his play was average on a young struggling d-line.

YOU ARE RIGHT REK

The East-side chant for DEFENSE will be FUN this year.

THE D-fense is BACK in 2008 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SideLine Shooter
June 25th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Was that before or after our coaches were in Florida getting a few offensive tips? Anyway, tough break and I'm sure he'll be back next yearxthumbsupx

I'm not sure. They said they were slow learners. It is probably an ongoing training program..

Longhorn
June 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I haven't been around much and this is obviously news to me like anyone else but I haven't stayed up on Washington's situation. Last I remember he was "rethinking football" maybe had some family issue. Has it for sure turned out to be an injury and is it definate we won't see him on the field this fall?

This is really going to hurt our rotation and depth, really sorry to hear this news tonight.

Reports in the paper stated Washington was no longer with the team...making it sound like he's gone.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/jun/24/appalachians-tharrington-ineligible-08-season/

CID1990
June 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry I couldn't think of the military school term for an abused flunkie freshman.

If YOU had attended then we WOULD have a name for it.

SideLine Shooter
June 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM
If YOU had attended then we WOULD have a name for it.

Just curious. Why would anybody choose to attend a military School?

millwoga1
June 25th, 2008, 08:08 PM
They want to go into the military as a career would be one reason

Appaholic
June 25th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Just curious. Why would anybody choose to attend a military School?

They're afraid to think for themselves and like being told when to go to bed....and it gives them an excuse for not getting laid.....I mean, with females....oh, wait, that's right.....nevermind.....xwhistlex

Syntax Error
June 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Fortunately the D-Line looked to have a lot of depth
We have a lot of depth at the position
there are more than capable players on ASU's roster to step up and fill the void
Not sure it will hurt that much
all in all the DL still looks like its going to be better than last year
the d-line should still be stronger than last year's
I'm not sure I'm buying into it hurting BIG TIME
you can still expect a better defense from us this year
we are going to be just fine
THE D-fense is BACK in 2008xcoffeex xeyebrowx

AlphaSigMD
June 26th, 2008, 12:28 AM
xcoffeex xeyebrowx

Hey, united we stand.

Nobody is saying that Tharrington wasn't a good player. (ok, I think somebody in there said he was average) I'm going to go ahead and say that there is an overwhelming feeling amongst the ranks of the mountaineer faithful that we are going to be alright, regardless of the loss of 2 defensive linemen.

I believe (like most ASU fan's, from what I've ascertained) that our pass defense will certainly have a drop off from last year, but will likely improve steadily throughout the year. Our run defense last year was a big part of why we lost 2 games (and came damn close to losing in the 1st round of the playoffs). Given, Wofford, Georgia Southern and James Madison were very solidly built around the run, but that doesn't excuse the fact that we gave up a lot of yards. I think it should be noted that ASU managed quite nicely against two premier running backs (Omar Cuff and Tim Hightower) in the semis and finals.

For years, ASU made its name on tough run defense. It is my hope and belief that as the defense continues to mature and progress this year, that we will be able to be more stout against the run. Regardless, when all is said and done, I do not think that ASU will rank below 50th this year in rushing defense which would be a solid improvement over the 70th from last year.

ASUMountaineer
June 26th, 2008, 06:52 AM
xcoffeex xeyebrowx

xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx

blueballs
June 26th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Hey, united we stand.

Nobody is saying that Tharrington wasn't a good player. (ok, I think somebody in there said he was average) I'm going to go ahead and say that there is an overwhelming feeling amongst the ranks of the mountaineer faithful that we are going to be alright, regardless of the loss of 2 defensive linemen.

I believe (like most ASU fan's, from what I've ascertained) that our pass defense will certainly have a drop off from last year, but will likely improve steadily throughout the year. Our run defense last year was a big part of why we lost 2 games (and came damn close to losing in the 1st round of the playoffs). Given, Wofford, Georgia Southern and James Madison were very solidly built around the run, but that doesn't excuse the fact that we gave up a lot of yards. I think it should be noted that ASU managed quite nicely against two premier running backs (Omar Cuff and Tim Hightower) in the semis and finals.

For years, ASU made its name on tough run defense. It is my hope and belief that as the defense continues to mature and progress this year, that we will be able to be more stout against the run. Regardless, when all is said and done, I do not think that ASU will rank below 50th this year in rushing defense which would be a solid improvement over the 70th from last year.

Good post..-from a fellow SoCon POV I believe the best run defense ASU had last year was their offense, which in many games got off to leads and took opponents out of what they intended to do and into playing catchup.

Against GSU in particular and Wofford ASU was either down or close and the opponent stayed in their game plan and kept running the ball. Both teams, however, were able to hit big plays in the passing game off play action. If I was an ASU fan I think that would be my worry going into this year, meaning that a suspect run defense and inexperienced secondary could lead to big plays by opponents- particularly with the SoCon becoming more of a passing league than in years past.

ASU's early schedule doesn't lend itself to a slow learning curve either. It is entirely conceivable, and you could even make a stretch and say likely, that ASU will enter conference play with two losses, which then makes their margin of error razor thin.

Its gonna be another fun year in the SoCon...

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Tough loss for App. He's arguably the best defensive threat they had in terms of making his presence felt.

If memory serves me Wofford's Kevious Johnson was ruled academically ineligble as a running back and then came back to have a pretty good 2007.

And again, it isn't as if people couldn't score on Appalachian. Most teams could. This hurts the defense, but the offense is where they are winning games.

CharlestonAppFan
June 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM
xcoffeex xeyebrowx

I think you may need a bigger http://images.become.com/imageserver/s7/130247037-175-150-5-0/oxo-wooden-slotted-spoon.jpg

to stir this Appalachian http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.shop.com/220000/226700/226716/products/25834651.jpg

because you think you are good at it..................

which you are not

texcap
June 26th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Tough loss for App. He's arguably the best defensive threat they had in terms of making his presence felt.

If memory serves me Wofford's Kevious Johnson was ruled academically ineligble as a running back and then came back to have a pretty good 2007.

And again, it isn't as if people couldn't score on Appalachian. Most teams could. This hurts the defense, but the offense is where they are winning games.

Jason Hunter was academically ineligible either his sophomore or junior season and he came back with a vengence. So much so that he has managed to play himself onto the Packers roster.

Appaholic
June 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Was that before or after our coaches were in Florida getting a few offensive tips?

Your coaches should have gone to Fla St to learn how to raise fast bail money for players.....xsmiley_wix

Skjellyfetti
June 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM
xcoffeex xeyebrowx

Thanks for your contribution to the conversation with two adorable little emoticons.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the Tharrington situation? You disagree with the App fans that think this will not be the end of the world. Do you believe this will be a season-killer for Appalachian?

B&G
June 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
xcoffeex xeyebrowx

You're right. Maybe this is more to your liking...

Oh no we're doomed. Not Gary!!! Great, now what are we gonna do? We couldn't stop the run last year and now we've lost our heart and soul! Well, no sense going to any games this season because it's already over. It's a lost cause. See you guys in '09 when Armanti will be a senior. xthumbsupx

SoCon48
June 26th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Possibly, but if you watch clips of Pierre Banks sacking the Michigan QB, you might think differently. At least it was close.
Vs Mich, he had 12 tackles, 2 T for a loss, 1 fumble recovery and a 10 yd sack.

ericsaid
June 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Possibly, but if you watch clips of Pierre Banks sacking the Michigan QB, you might think differently. At least it was close.

Last year D.J. Smith who will be a sophomore this season, made his presence felt more and more. It peaked against the Citadel when he had 16 tackles and an interception returned for a TD.

He will be the player to watch on defense for the next three seasons.

His freshmen year he had 121 total tackles with 5.5 for loss and a fumble recovery and 2 interceptions, and started in only 9 games and saw limited playing time in the games he didnt start.

CrazyCat
June 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Your coaches should have gone to Fla St to learn how to raise fast bail money for players.....xsmiley_wix

I'll take your xsmiley_wix and raise you :p :p xpeacex

mountaineertider
June 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM
xcoffeex xeyebrowx

Ok you're right...We give up. No sense in playing when we lose a lineman.

Instead of football this fall, let's just play cornhole and horseshoes and call it a season.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2008, 02:57 PM
xcoffeex xeyebrowx

Do you think the loss is huge or not? Can't tell by just 2 emotional expressions.

I agree with some the depth is not as good as it would have been but this just makes it easier to put their best DEs on the field.

Tharrington is a big loss in terms of leadership but there is plenty of talent there. Tony Robertson, Quavian Lewis, and future star Jabari Fletcher are more than capable of playing the DE positions. They go from 10 DL who can be counted upon to just 8. Still a solid 1st and 2nd team in the group.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM

I agree with you that Banks is a good player. However, imo, it is much easier to replace a starting linebacker than a starting defensive lineman.

Is ASU doomed? No. But there's not one person who thinks they are better off without Tharrington. It's a loss, and a tough one, no matter how you slice it.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I agree with you that Banks is a good player. However, imo, it is much easier to replace a starting linebacker than a starting defensive lineman.

Is ASU doomed? No. But there's not one person who thinks they are better off without Tharrington. It's a loss, and a tough one, no matter how you slice it.

Very true they are not better off without him but they aren't in major trouble either. Just a slight hit to the depth of the team and experience but they still have a lot of talent and are the team to beat.

Aho_Old_Guy
June 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM

The one and only true Knob is Howard's :p

I don't know about the rules but 'No Work - No Play' is fair in exchange for his education. And as one who has cooked his mash on a stove I coulda used 'White Likker 101' - lol

Can he still practice - or travel with the team ?

Might be a strong voice in firing up the crew - and a good example for not slackin' off on the school work.

BeauFoster
June 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
xcoffeex xeyebrowx

Another insightful and enlightening post from our all-knowing leader xoopsx

As for the loss of Tharrington, he has yet to have surgery on his shoulder, which is needed before he can play again. Even if he were still eligible, it is highly unlikely that at this point in the summer, he would have returned before mid-season. Thus, we were going to be without him anyway. He was a tremendous leader, both on the field and on the sidelines. That is where he will be missed the most.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Another insightful and enlightening post from our all-knowing leader xoopsx

As for the loss of Tharrington, he has yet to have surgery on his shoulder, which is needed before he can play again. Even if he were still eligible, it is highly unlikely that at this point in the summer, he would have returned before mid-season. Thus, we were going to be without him anyway. He was a tremendous leader, both on the field and on the sidelines. That is where he will be missed the most.

xoopsx You can't be dissing our leader like that! xthumbsupx

AppMan
June 26th, 2008, 11:02 PM

You are correct. I'm not sure how much he would have played anyway. Gary needs shoulder surgery, which he balked at, and is still dealing with a bum knee, chipped bone in his wrist, and a few other nagging injuries. He hasn't lifted a weight since the middle of last season and obviously didn't make one winrte workout or spring practice. I was told half way through the season he was a 21 year old kid in a 50 yesr old man's body. With juco transfer Malcom Bennett and Vandy transfer Quavian Lewis the D-line will be very good, but with Gary it would have been great. Still, the kid is a warrior and that type of leadership by example won't be easily replaced.

AppMan
June 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Last year D.J. Smith who will be a sophomore this season, made his presence felt more and more. It peaked against the Citadel when he had 16 tackles and an interception returned for a TD.

He will be the player to watch on defense for the next three seasons.

His freshmen year he had 121 total tackles with 5.5 for loss and a fumble recovery and 2 interceptions, and started in only 9 games and saw limited playing time in the games he didnt start.

Unless he gets injured, DJ Smith will be the SoCon Defensive POY his Jr & Sr seasons. Yes, he is that good.

Lionsrking
June 26th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Very true they are not better off without him but they aren't in major trouble either. Just a slight hit to the depth of the team and experience but they still have a lot of talent and are the team to beat.

Usually the loss of one guy, regardless of how good he is, doesn't hurt all that much. It's when another guy or two goes down and you start reaching into your three deep that it starts to bite. Especially when you don't have as many bodies to rotate in and out.

Syntax Error
June 27th, 2008, 01:33 AM
funny to read the homer's remarks and their smack responses here where they are not appropriate,,,,, touchy ASU fans

Skjellyfetti
June 27th, 2008, 01:44 AM
funny to read the homer's remarks and their smack responses here where they are not appropriate,,,,, touchy ASU fans

Thanks for another post that doesn't contribute to the topic. xrolleyesx

BeauFoster
June 27th, 2008, 05:58 AM

SoCon48
June 27th, 2008, 11:32 AM

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Rekdiver
June 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Is it Syntax or Sin Tax....not real sure. Is Syn a fan of any team? His comments reek of a frustrated sportswriter........

DJ Smith is the next Dino hackett/Dexter Coakley and will play on Sunday.

SoCon48
June 27th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Thats under water basket weaving tudor.

Perhaps there are tutors for proper spelling at your school.

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Is it Syntax or Sin Tax....not real sure. Is Syn a fan of any team? His comments reek of a frustrated sportswriter........

DJ Smith is the next Dino hackett/Dexter Coakley and will play on Sunday.

He has the potential to be the next great ASU LB. Not sure I would peg him as a Hackett or Coakley yet. He is certainly on his way!

What did you think of Hackett and Coakley when you saw them live and on TV and how do you think Smith compares to them?

SoCon48
June 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Thats under water basket weaving tudor.

I think the final straw for Tharrington was that on a critical required course's exam, he too, confused the term tudor for tutor. rolleyesx

....or... or perhaps he asked for help from a tudor instead of a tutor. By the time he received a reply that Henry VIII and the rest of the House of Tudors croaked centuries ago, it was too late to catch up on his grades.

APPALACHIANstate
June 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM
That's too bad, but hopefully he realizes the importance of school...

Better later than never...

SideLine Shooter
June 28th, 2008, 07:54 AM
He has the potential to be the next great ASU LB. Not sure I would peg him as a Hackett or Coakley yet. He is certainly on his way!

What did you think of Hackett and Coakley when you saw them live and on TV and how do you think Smith compares to them?

IMO DJ looks as dominate as Hackett and Coakley. I don't remember them being this good as a true freshman, but time will tell. This young man has all the potential in the world to do great things. He is off to an excellent start.

Don't forget about J. Roman and P. Banks either. They are as good or better.

SoCon48
June 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for another post that doesn't contribute to the topic. xrolleyesx

The topic is of no concern. The agenda for some is to belittle ASU and any pride fans can show going back to the day App was ridiculed for never winning a National Championship.

AppMan
June 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM
IMO DJ looks as dominate as Hackett and Coakley. I don't remember them being this good as a true freshman, but time will tell. This young man has all the potential in the world to do great things. He is off to an excellent start.

Don't forget about J. Roman and P. Banks either. They are as good or better.

Hacket came to ASU as a 170 lb safety and grew into a monster. Coakley was a freak of nature and started right from the get go. However, ASU didn't have the depth and quality players on the roster back then as they do now. DJ came in and knocked a returning Sr starter out of his spot. He is extremely good. Good enough to get offers from VPI and unc-ch.

SoCon48
June 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Hacket came to ASU as a 170 lb safety and grew into a monster. Coakley was a freak of nature and started right from the get go. However, ASU didn't have the depth and quality players on the roster back then as they do now. DJ came in and knocked a returning Sr starter out of his spot. He is extremely good. Good enough to get offers from VPI and unc-ch.

We were fortunate to have good connections in the recruiting of Coakley. App was far from being the only ones who recognized his talent.

Dino was a prize in that he would have excelled in the defensive backfield had he not been able to bulk up the way he did. As I seem to recall, he was looked at for CB for a while, too. His work ethic and aggressiveness would have gone a long way. Maybe not to All-Pro level in the NFL like he did, but certainly the chance Lynch has been given.

SideLine Shooter
June 28th, 2008, 09:15 AM
The topic is of no concern. The agenda for some is to belittle ASU and any pride fans can show going back to the day App was ridiculed for never winning a National Championship.

xoutofrepx

Thanks for pointing something out that some people can't understand. It is a real shame that some people have to belittle other people to feel good about themselves.

APPALACHIANstate
June 28th, 2008, 09:19 AM
xoutofrepx

Thanks for pointing something out that some people can't understand. It is a real shame that some people have to belittle other people to feel good about themselves.

From the looks of it, I really doubt that particular person feels good about themselves...

SideLine Shooter
June 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM
From the looks of it, I really doubt that particular person feels good about themselves...

He just thinks he does.xlolx xlolx

AppMan
June 28th, 2008, 05:45 PM
We were fortunate to have good connections in the recruiting of Coakley. App was far from being the only ones who recognized his talent.

Dino was a prize in that he would have excelled in the defensive backfield had he not been able to bulk up the way he did. As I seem to recall, he was looked at for CB for a while, too. His work ethic and aggressiveness would have gone a long way. Maybe not to All-Pro level in the NFL like he did, but certainly the chance Lynch has been given.

Marshall was the only other school seriously recruiting Dexter. We got a break when he had to take the SAT on the weekend he was to visit Huntington.

SoCon48
June 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
That is contrary to a feature article in the Charlotte Observer around DC's junior year.

appfan2008
June 30th, 2008, 08:44 AM
what a loss... cant wait to get him back!

PaladinFan
June 30th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Marshall was the only other school seriously recruiting Dexter. We got a break when he had to take the SAT on the weekend he was to visit Huntington.

Marshall football players had to have an SAT score?

AppMan
June 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
That is contrary to a feature article in the Charlotte Observer around DC's junior year.

I'm just going on what Dexter told me.

SoCon48
June 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
He and his coach told the press differently.