PDA

View Full Version : FCS Titles vs. New Orleans Bowl?

IndianaAppMan
June 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Since another forum has gotten off-topic, thanks in large part to yours trulyxoopsx , I decided to start a new thread on the debate that has emerged in it.

What brings more benefits to universities:

1) Multiple FCS titles (a la 3-straight from App, 4 in 7 years from Youngstown, or 6 under 3 coaches by Ga. Southern)

OR

2) Winning (but not dominating) in a low-tier FBS conference (a la Troy, ECU, Southern Miss)?

Which team helps bring in more donations? Which team brings in more applicants? Which team brings more national credibility? Which team is PERCEIVED NATIONALLY as better?

Let's exclude certain FBS teams from this debate so we're having fair comparisons. First, no BCS teams. Obviously Wake Forest's small but rich alumni base of doctors and South Florida's massive alumni base and huge market would draw in more notoriety than any FCS title could. I'm also not talking about teams like Boise State who completely dominate their weaker conference siblings. Those teams obviously will boost more applications than FCS titles will.

I believe that App State, with or without the Michigan game, has benefitted more from its FCS titles than most low-tier FBS teams can. Since the 2005 title, App State's freshman applications have soared, and admission standards have risen with them. Donations and attendance are also at record-breaking levels as well. National sports writers even suggest that App State has a better team than teams like Troy or ECU (although that is definitely questionable).

Meanwhile, teams like Troy, ECU, and Southern Miss do have quite solid seasons, yet the national perception is that they're not very good. I have read repeatedly about what a failure Troy has been, despite the fact that in their short stint as an FBS team they've gone bowling twice, winning one of them, and they went 8-4 last year with a win over Oklahoma State. If that's considered unsuccessful, how can it also be considered better for the school than 3 straight titles?

Texas State fans and everybody else, bring your ideas...

JohnStOnge
June 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Actually, I think teams like Troy have gotten a lot more credit than they're legitimately due. Same with, yes, Boise State.

I think App State is a unique situation in that it beat Michigan.

To me, such things should not be the test. But, unfortunately, if you take the route of being a FBS wannabe, you are going to get more attention most of the time.

dbackjon
June 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Titles

bluehenbillk
June 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I'd say advantage FCS on all counts except national perception, the majority of the country will say the New Orleans bowl winner is better.

I'm not saying that's right but that's reality.

brownbear
June 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
If AGS could choose: Titles

If ESPN chose: Poulan Weed-Eater Bowl

DFW HOYA
June 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Outside of this board, the New Orleans Bowl still has marginally more interest than a title game on Friday night in Chattanooga.

And it must still have an allure for schools as well. Why are no Sun Belt teams looking to move down to compete in a true championship playoff?

hebmskebm
June 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
In the eyes of the general public, it will always be the Toilet Bowls. To them it's like comparing AAA Baseball and the MLB; they'll just never take this brand of football seriously and simply having a place at the with the big boys is inherently better then being a big fish in a small pond.

Eyes of Old Main
June 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
The perception of the average football fan would definitely favor the low-tier bowls. FCS fans would certainly disagree. A few, more knowledgeable BCS fans do appreciate that great football is played in FCS, but those guys are few and far between.

While the masses favor the Weed Eater Bowl because of ESPN, does that really make the difference reality? What would happen if the top teams in the SoCon or CAA played a Sun Belt schedule? My guess is they'd win more games that ESPN is comfortable with.

gophoenix
June 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM
It depends one what matters to you. The reality to some that titles mean more than a mediocre season in FBS. Or the reality to others that the image of being FBS means more than anything you do in FCS.

This is American culture. It is all about image and perception; whether true or not.

catdaddy2402
June 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM
The 2007 FCS Championship earned a 1.51 rating on ESPN.

The 2007 New Orleans Bowl earned a 1.6 rating.

Just saying.

IndianaAppMan
June 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Outside of this board, the New Orleans Bowl still has marginally more interest than a title game on Friday night in Chattanooga.

not according to the ratings. this year's national title game had better ratings than the N.O. Bowl

And it must still have an allure for schools as well. Why are no Sun Belt teams looking to move down to compete in a true championship playoff?

because their fans' perception is that it's better for the school to be in the SB. the reality is that winning FCS titles can have equal or better economic and academic benefits compared to SB teams.

jessesd
June 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I'll never make it to the FCS champions because of its location but I may make it to the NO bowl because of location....

On the other hand, I think that teams like SoMiss and Troy are better off by playing in the lower FCS conferences than winning multiple FCS championships in the long run.... Yes, everyone is on the App State bandwagon right now, but in two years most people will have forgotten all about it. just ask the average Joe Smith on the street if they heard of GaSouthern or Youngstown State, most likely the answer will be something like "never heard of them"

IndianaAppMan
June 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Actually, I think teams like Troy have gotten a lot more credit than they're legitimately due.
Do you think Troy was given more credit than it deserved last year when it beat Oklahoma State 41-23, finished 8-4 & second in the Sun Belt, but was passed over for a bowl games that favored 6-6 teams?

To me, such things should not be the test. But, unfortunately, if you take the route of being a FBS wannabe, you are going to get more attention most of the time.
The test that I brought to this thread was this: What benefits a university more--FCS titles, or low-tier FBS conference winners? What boosts applications more? What brings in more donations?
In response to FBS-wannabe, the whole reason I brought this up was to respond to a Texas State fan's opinion that 3 straight FBS titles wouldn't help them as much as FBS-status would. (How would he know? Texas State's never won anything major in the FCS, nor has it ever been FBS.)

If AGS could choose: Titles
If ESPN chose: Poulan Weed-Eater Bowl
Good point, but remember that ESPN could have chosen a number of FBS games to broadcast instead of LSU-ASU. ESPN also went out of its way to broadcast ASU-Wofford.

The FCS title game may have drawn fewer viewers than the vast majority of bowl games, including, yes, the New Orleans Bowl (barely); however, the game's 1.51 rating was better than the Texas, GMAC, Hawaii (featuring ECU & Boise, by the way), Humanitarian, and Insight Bowls. By the way, the 1.26 rating for the 2006 FCS title game (pre-Michigan) was better than three of those games as well.

Obviously there's a strong allure for certain schools to opt for low-tier conferences instead of the FCS. My point is that repeated FCS titles, if the team is capable of winning them, can do as much or more for universities as a decent low-tier FBS team (like Troy). When you look at it that way, it's no wonder schools like Texas State would want to go FBS. It's easier to get exposure as a mediocre FBS team than it is to get it by winning FCS titles.

In the eyes of the general public, it will always be the Toilet Bowls. To them it's like comparing AAA Baseball and the MLB; they'll just never take this brand of football seriously and simply having a place at the with the big boys is inherently better then being a big fish in a small pond.
True for the most part, but the ratings show that FCS championship games are more alluring than the lowest toilet bowls.

Yes, everyone is on the App State bandwagon right now, but in two years most people will have forgotten all about it. just ask the average Joe Smith on the street if they heard of GaSouthern or Youngstown State, most likely the answer will be something like "never heard of them"
Appalachian State was involved in one of the most famous college football games of all time. People still remember Chaminade's upset of Virginia in 1982. No one is going to forget about that game, including the average joe on the street.

In response to the GaSouthern or YSU comparison, most joes on the street have never heard of FIU, FAU, Troy, North Texas, or UTEP, either.

Besides, this debate isn't about fame. It's about what does more for the university: repeated FCS titles or low-tier FBS teams?

My answer is that it all depends on the marketing. Ken Peacock, the ASU chancellor, has sold App State's FCS titles to donors and applicants to help boost ASU much better than college presidents at middling FBS universities.

MaximumBobcat
June 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
The lowest of the low bowl games still beat out the FCS title game in TV ratings? Wow. I kinda always figured, but to see the numbers is interesting.

If you are FBS, you have the OPPORTUNITY (if things go right, Utah, Boise, Hawaii) to go to a huge BCS game and change your program forever. If you were to ask me what would I take next season? The NO bowl or the title? The title obviously.

But in the long run, I would rather have the opportunity year in and year out to play for the opportunity on the big time stage.

813Jag
June 25th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Do you think Troy was given more credit than it deserved last year when it beat Oklahoma State 41-23, finished 8-4 & second in the Sun Belt, but was passed over for a bowl games that favored 6-6 teams?

The test that I brought to this thread was this: What benefits a university more--FCS titles, or low-tier FBS conference winners? What boosts applications more? What brings in more donations?
In response to FBS-wannabe, the whole reason I brought this up was to respond to a Texas State fan's opinion that 3 straight FBS titles wouldn't help them as much as FBS-status would. (How would he know? Texas State's never won anything major in the FCS, nor has it ever been FBS.)

Good point, but remember that ESPN could have chosen a number of FBS games to broadcast instead of LSU-ASU. ESPN also went out of its way to broadcast ASU-Wofford.
The FCS title game may have drawn fewer viewers than the vast majority of bowl games, including, yes, the New Orleans Bowl (barely); however, the game's 1.51 rating was better than the Texas, GMAC, Hawaii (featuring ECU & Boise, by the way), Humanitarian, and Insight Bowls. By the way, the 1.26 rating for the 2006 FCS title game (pre-Michigan) was better than three of those games as well.

Obviously there's a strong allure for certain schools to opt for low-tier conferences instead of the FCS. My point is that repeated FCS titles, if the team is capable of winning them, can do as much or more for universities as a decent low-tier FBS team (like Troy). When you look at it that way, it's no wonder schools like Texas State would want to go FBS. It's easier to get exposure as a mediocre FBS team than it is to get it by winning FCS titles.

True for the most part, but the ratings show that FCS championship games are more alluring than the lowest toilet bowls.

Appalachian State was involved in one of the most famous college football games of all time. People still remember Chaminade's upset of Virginia in 1982. No one is going to forget about that game, including the average joe on the street.

In response to the GaSouthern or YSU comparison, most joes on the street have never heard of FIU, FAU, Troy, North Texas, or UTEP, either.

Besides, this debate isn't about fame. It's about what does more for the university: repeated FCS titles or low-tier FBS teams?

My answer is that it all depends on the marketing. Ken Peacock, the ASU chancellor, has sold App State's FCS titles to donors and applicants to help boost ASU much better than college presidents at middling FBS universities.
I would argue FCS coverage is increasing as a whole on ESPN, otherwise you wouldn't see Alcorn, Mississippi Valley, or UAPB on TV and they aren't anywhere near a National Title, let alone a SWAC title. And these are neutral site games either. Besides I think this arguement is preaching to the choir on this site, majority of folks would want a title over the N.O. Bowl.

JohnStOnge
June 25th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Do you think Troy was given more credit than it deserved last year when it beat Oklahoma State 41-23, finished 8-4 & second in the Sun Belt, but was passed over for a bowl games that favored 6-6 teams?.

Yes, because I saw a lot of stuff about Troy being a "good" FBS team. It was not a good FBS team by any reasonable standard. Yes, they had one upset win. But they were 1-3 outside of Sun Belt play. That makes them 4-13 in nonconference play against other I-A/FBS programs since joining the Sun Belt.

What I'm getting at is that they are touted as a mid level FBS program. They're not. They play in an absolutely abysmal FBS league and that's why they win more games than they lose. The Troy program is way, way below average by FBS standards.

Retro
June 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I think it has to do with how your school is currently perceived at the level it is right now and the area surrounding it..

In App's case, they not only won the title for a 3rd year, but beat what turned out to be a good Michigan team... If your school already has decent respect as a program whether at the FBS or FCS level in your region, then a title or a bowl win will help equally if the school is not already getting the kind of money it has the ability to, based on the economics of the area..

If your school has little respect or support in their own region and suddenly has a good year and then wins a Lower tier bowl game or FCS national title, it will help for the short term. In the long term though, i feel you have to really establish yourself and gradually build on success at whatever level..

The most successful programs at the FCS level have won and won consistently and that includes playoff and OOC games. With that brings good fan support and regular donations.. I'm Sure donations surge after conference and National titles or big game wins too..

At the FBS Level, i'm sure they get a surge when winning a bowl game too, but those payouts that you see for bowl games only apply if a certain number of tickets are sold and for teams like Troy who have some success againest older established FBS teams, they will really need to knock off some big names and get into BCS bowl to ever see a dramatic turn of events..

IndianaAppMan
June 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I think it has to do with how your school is currently perceived at the level it is right now and the area surrounding it..

In App's case, they not only won the title for a 3rd year, but beat what turned out to be a good Michigan team... If your school already has decent respect as a program whether at the FBS or FCS level in your region, then a title or a bowl win will help equally if the school is not already getting the kind of money it has the ability to, based on the economics of the area..

If your school has little respect or support in their own region and suddenly has a good year and then wins a Lower tier bowl game or FCS national title, it will help for the short term. In the long term though, i feel you have to really establish yourself and gradually build on success at whatever level..

The most successful programs at the FCS level have won and won consistently and that includes playoff and OOC games. With that brings good fan support and regular donations.. I'm Sure donations surge after conference and National titles or big game wins too..

At the FBS Level, i'm sure they get a surge when winning a bowl game too, but those payouts that you see for bowl games only apply if a certain number of tickets are sold and for teams like Troy who have some success againest older established FBS teams, they will really need to knock off some big names and get into BCS bowl to ever see a dramatic turn of events..

You have articulated the point I've been trying to make throughout this thread and took it a step further with some other great points (which I bolded).:D :D :D :D :D

uofmman1122
June 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Most people only watch the Fancy Feast Kitty Tuna Delight Bowl because there aren't any other FBS games on.

Any team that wins a playoff championship should be held higher than those 6-5 teams that were handed a consolation bowl.

Talking skill alone, your average FCS champion teams could at least contend with 75% of FBS, and your above average FBS champion teams could hang with more of FBS than most FBS fans would like to admit, even some in BCS bowls.

IndianaAppMan
June 26th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I would argue FCS coverage is increasing as a whole on ESPN, otherwise you wouldn't see Alcorn, Mississippi Valley, or UAPB on TV and they aren't anywhere near a National Title, let alone a SWAC title. And these are neutral site games either. Besides I think this arguement is preaching to the choir on this site, majority of folks would want a title over the N.O. Bowl.

Great point. I only mentioned ASU games earlier since I keep up only with ASU mainly, but you're absolutely right, fellow Seminole fan!xsmiley_wix

Yes, because I saw a lot of stuff about Troy being a "good" FBS team. It was not a good FBS team by any reasonable standard. Yes, they had one upset win. But they were 1-3 outside of Sun Belt play. That makes them 4-13 in nonconference play against other I-A/FBS programs since joining the Sun Belt.

What I'm getting at is that they are touted as a mid level FBS program. They're not. They play in an absolutely abysmal FBS league and that's why they win more games than they lose. The Troy program is way, way below average by FBS standards.

Of course when you compare a relatively upstart program like Troy to programs from most other FBS conferences, it isn't up to par. (And don't even try to compare it to USF; that school is in the Tampa metro with thousands more students, alumni, and $$$.) Likewise, even App State still is not up to par with those programs either, nor is Montana, Delaware, James Madison, or any other FCS powerhouse. The Michigan game wasn't a fluke, but it was against the odds.

When has anyone ever equated Troy with true power programs? Of course they're not high quality at this point like teams in power conferences. Regardless of whatever praise 10 or 20 people on AGS give Troy (even overhyping them), any 8-4 team that beats a Big 12 team (which had one of the nation's best offenses last year) by 19 POINTS, finishes 2nd in its league, and doesn't go to a bowl game has been shafted. And we can all agree that getting shafted like that is not good for a university, which once again validates my point that three straight FCS titles, with or without the UM game, can help a university more than a decent team in low-tier conferences (like MAC or Sun Belt).

BearsCountry
June 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Its funny that Troy gets saying they get overlooked for bowls when the reality of the situation is that the Sun Belt didnt have a second bowl tie in and the other bowls were contractually obligated to take the teams from the conferences that had the contract with. Now if a bowl couldnt fill its slot from that conference, Troy would have been took over a 6-6 team bc of a rule stating that the bowls must take the team with the most wins next.

IndianaAppMan
June 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Talking skill alone, your average FCS champion teams could at least contend with 75% of FBS, and your above average FBS champion teams could hang with more of FBS than most FBS fans would like to admit, even some in BCS bowls.

Totally agree. Not just FCS champs, but NDSU, UNH, Northern Iowa, The Citadel (hung tight w/ Wisconsin in '07) and numerous others prove how strong the upper echelon of 1-AA can be against a lot of the FBS.

Your second point is quite valid as well, especially the part in bold. Some FBS teams are really ballsy in scheduling tough OOC games, especially USC and Colorado. Most BCS teams balk at scheduling good non-BCS teams because they believe it's too risky. NC State and UNC refused for years to play ECU before the legislature forced them, and they refuse to renew play App State. Penn State opts to play Florida International than BYU or TCU in order to avoid risking a loss. AD's for good non-BCS teams have to be extra-aggressive schedulers in order to overcome that problem and garner respect for their program. Look at Hawaii's team last year. No power programs wanted to play them last year, so they ended up with what was inarguably one of the easiest schedules in FBS football last year.

Of course, no fan of these BCS teams would want to admit their team might lose to good FCSers or non-BCSers. They just can't connect the dots when they see Louisiana-Lafayette on the schedule instead of Boise State.

IndianaAppMan
June 26th, 2008, 01:51 PM
the other bowls were contractually obligated to take the teams from the conferences that had the contract with. Now if a bowl couldnt fill its slot from that conference, Troy would have been took over a 6-6 team bc of a rule stating that the bowls must take the team with the most wins next.

2007 Texas Bowl Conference Tie-Ins: Big 12 #8 vs. C-USA #3

There weren't 8 Big 12 teams that were bowl-eligible last year, so the Texas Bowl took 7-5 TCU over 8-4 Troy. Therefore, I don't think that rule exists. That said, you did bring up a good point. I doubt that 7-5 TCU was less qualified than 8-4 Troy since TCU probably had a much tougher schedule. Maybe Troy didn't get shafted after all. xeyebrowx

Seems like the Sun Belt needs to lobby for more bowl tie-ins. It's crazy that some conferences have 8 or 9 tie-ins and it only has one. Then again, it's tough to argue that the Sun Belt isn't a marginal conference.

Thank goodness the FCS doesn't have to deal with those kinds of ridiculous politics! Let's all raise a glass for the playoffs! :D

813Jag
June 26th, 2008, 03:06 PM

There weren't 8 Big 12 teams that were bowl-eligible last year, so the Texas Bowl took 7-5 TCU over 8-4 Troy. Therefore, I don't think that rule exists. That said, you did bring up a good point. I doubt that 7-5 TCU was less qualified than 8-4 Troy since TCU probably had a much tougher schedule. Maybe Troy didn't get shafted after all. xeyebrowx

Seems like the Sun Belt needs to lobby for more bowl tie-ins. It's crazy that some conferences have 8 or 9 tie-ins and it only has one. Then again, it's tough to argue that the Sun Belt isn't a marginal conference.

Thank goodness the FCS doesn't have to deal with those kinds of ridiculous politics! Let's all raise a glass for the playoffs! :D
There will be a couple of leagues that won't reach their tie-in numbers. Plus the addition of two (xnonono2x ) more bowl games will give some teams a better shot.

I agree TCU was better than Troy although their record didn't indicate it. They lost a couple of close games.

BearsCountry
June 26th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Texas Bowl also has a tie in with the MWC that allows them to send TCU there when Big 12 team can't.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5845136.html

Navy also has a tie in as well.

Stang Fever
June 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Just saying.

That can be explained by the timing of the game. FRIDAY FREAKIN NIGHT while DIV II gets Saturday. CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd - Bowls get way more pub then the FCS games do. So when the powers that be stop giving all the attention to these WHO SUCKS MORE BOWLS and give more credit to a team that is actually PLAYING FOR SOMETHING... that number will jump.

ONE day people are going to wake up and smell the roses and say why am I watching this CRAP BOWL 200# and want to see people actually fight for something that ONLY ONE TEAM CAN CLAIM

JohnStOnge
June 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Regardless of whatever praise 10 or 20 people on AGS give Troy (even overhyping them), any 8-4 team that beats a Big 12 team (which had one of the nation's best offenses last year) by 19 POINTS, finishes 2nd in its league, and doesn't go to a bowl game has been shafted. And we can all agree that getting shafted like that is not good for a university, which once again validates my point that three straight FCS titles, with or without the UM game, can help a university more than a decent team in low-tier conferences (like MAC or Sun Belt).

I guess it's possible they were shafted, given that the obscene proliferation of bowl games means that more than half (64 of 120) of the FBS teams went to bowls last season.

But 8-4 doesn't mean that much because 6 of the wins were vs. other Sun Belt schools and another was vs. transitional Western Kentucky. Oklahoma State was a big win for them but the Cowboys finished only one game over 0.500 overall (7-6), at 0.500 against other FBS teams (6-6). By FBS standards, they beat one mediocre team and 7 really bad ones.

In my opinion, Troy would've had no chance to finish with a winning record against a schedule of average FBS schedule strength.

For some reason people tend to think that, in the context of FBS, beating any BCS league team means really accomplishing something. But FBS leagues contain more than half the teams in the subdivision. They're the mainstream of it. They beat a team that was middle of the pack in the mainstream.

I guess it's better than losing. But acting like Troy is REALLY something as a FBS for beating Oklahoma State...as in my opinion some in the media did...is a bit much.

SoCon48
June 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Since another forum has gotten off-topic, thanks in large part to yours trulyxoopsx , I decided to start a new thread on the debate that has emerged in it.

What brings more benefits to universities:

1) Multiple FCS titles (a la 3-straight from App, 4 in 7 years from Youngstown, or 6 under 3 coaches by Ga. Southern)

OR

2) Winning (but not dominating) in a low-tier FBS conference (a la Troy, ECU, Southern Miss)?

What's the New Orleans Bowl? If it doesn't have the name of a pizza, muffler, spark plug, finance company, motel chain, credit card, insurance company, men's hair product, sandwich, wireless telephone, steak house, corn chip, dot com, etc, then I'm not probably not familiar with it.

McTailGator
June 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM

BECAUSE THEY PROPBABLY WOULD NOT RANK IN THE TOP 16 AND WOULD BE ALONG SHOT TO GET THEIR.

THE NO BOWL IS AN EASIER ACCOMPLISHMENT (if you want to call it an accomplishment).

I actually believe Troy accomplished a lot, then had to step down in prestigue to accept their bid tothe NO Bowl.

It is a LOUSEY BOWL FOLKS!

IndianaAppMan
June 28th, 2008, 06:38 PM
What's the New Orleans Bowl? If it doesn't have the name of a pizza, muffler, spark plug, finance company, motel chain, credit card, insurance company, men's hair product, sandwich, wireless telephone, steak house, corn chip, dot com, etc, then I'm not probably not familiar with it.

I beg your pardon. It's the "RL Carriers New Orleans Bowl." xlolx It features the Sun Belt champ vs. 3rd choice of C-USA. YIPPEE!xrolleyesx

SoCon48
June 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I beg your pardon. It's the "RL Carriers New Orleans Bowl." xlolx It features the Sun Belt champ vs. 3rd choice of C-USA. YIPPEE!xrolleyesx

RL Carriers? What is RL? Does that mean they're going around carrying something like herpes?

89Hen
June 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Just saying.
The NO bowl wasn't the lowest rated. The two bowls on the NFL Network were off the charts low, the lowest rated ones on ESPN and 2:

Roady's Humanitarian Bowl: Fresno State 40, Georgia Tech 28, ESPN2: (27,062) & [745,082]
GMAC Bowl: Tulsa 63, Bowling Green 7, ESPN: (36,932) & [1,096,521]
Sheraton Hawaii Bowl: East Carolina 41, Boise State 38, ESPN: (30,467) & [1,415,395]
International Bowl: Rutgers 52, Ball State 30, ESPN: (31,455) & [1,528,141]
R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl: Florida Atlantic 44, Memphis 27, ESPN2: (25,146) & [1,561,000]
New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico 23, Nevada 0, ESPN: (30,233) & [1,888,695]

catdaddy2402
June 30th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Wofford's 2002 team would beg to differ.

catdaddy2402
June 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM
The NO bowl wasn't the lowest rated. The two bowls on the NFL Network were off the charts low, the lowest rated ones on ESPN and 2:

Roady's Humanitarian Bowl: Fresno State 40, Georgia Tech 28, ESPN2: (27,062) & [745,082]
GMAC Bowl: Tulsa 63, Bowling Green 7, ESPN: (36,932) & [1,096,521]
Sheraton Hawaii Bowl: East Carolina 41, Boise State 38, ESPN: (30,467) & [1,415,395]
International Bowl: Rutgers 52, Ball State 30, ESPN: (31,455) & [1,528,141]
R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl: Florida Atlantic 44, Memphis 27, ESPN2: (25,146) & [1,561,000]
New Mexico Bowl: New Mexico 23, Nevada 0, ESPN: (30,233) & [1,888,695]

Well, the thread title is "FCS Titles vs New Orleans Bowl" xchinscratchx

Of course I understand changing the direction of the thread once it was determined that to the viewing public the New Orleans Bowl was a bigger draw than the FCS Championship.

IndianaAppMan
June 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Well, the thread title is "FCS Titles vs New Orleans Bowl" xchinscratchx

Of course I understand changing the direction of the thread once it was determined that to the viewing public the New Orleans Bowl was a bigger draw than the FCS Championship.

That is true.

The reason I chose "FCS vs. New Orleans Bowl" was just to compare FCS titles vs. lower-tier bowls in general; I didn't intend the thread to be exclusivelly NO Bowl vs. FCS titles. I can see the confusion.

Great point about 2002 Wofford xthumbsupx ! I just checked their record from that year (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=2747&year=2002). They definitely got shafted. Maybe politics aren't absent from the FCS, but they do play a much smaller role, it seems, in the FCS as compared with the bowl games. Bowl games' selection of teams are much more driven by television, whereas the playoffs USUALLY are more about on-the-field performance. Unfortuantely, without a definitive tie-breaking process like the one that the NFL uses, subjectivity will always be a factor in college postseason selections in all four divisions/subdivisions.

813Jag
June 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM
That is true.

The reason I chose "FCS vs. New Orleans Bowl" was just to compare FCS titles vs. lower-tier bowls in general; I didn't intend the thread to be exclusivelly NO Bowl vs. FCS titles. I can see the confusion.

Great point about 2002 Wofford xthumbsupx ! I just checked their record from that year (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=2747&year=2002). They definitely got shafted. Maybe politics aren't absent from the FCS, but they do play a much smaller role, it seems, in the FCS as compared with the bowl games. Bowl games' selection of teams are much more driven by television, whereas the playoffs USUALLY are more about on-the-field performance. Unfortuantely, without a definitive tie-breaking process like the one that the NFL uses, subjectivity will always be a factor in college postseason selections in all four divisions/subdivisions.
There's a term used here to describe a team that deserved to make the playoffs but didn't. It's called getting Woofed.

I think politics come into play the higher up the bowl chain you go. The lower teir bowls are usually easy to slot unless a league doesn't fill it's quota.

JohnStOnge
June 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM
The fault lies with Delaware. I have no doubt that they were capable of making the 2007 FCS championship game a much more competetive contest than it was. I think that if they had done so the game would've had much better ratings.

But I'm still amazed that more people wanted to watch that AWFUL New Orleans bowl between two teams that were totally irrelevant in the context of the subdivision they play in. It's reality, but I must admit that I just flat don't understand it.

JohnStOnge
June 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM
The fault lies with Delaware. I have no doubt that they were capable of making the 2007 FCS championship game a much more competetive contest than it was. I think that if they had done so the game would've had much better ratings.

But I'm still amazed that more people wanted to watch that AWFUL New Orleans bowl between two teams that were totally irrelevant in the context of the subdivision they play in. It's reality, but I must admit that I just flat don't understand it.

Lionsrking
June 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM

The reason the New Orleans Bowl draws better ratings is because ESPN promotes the crap out of their bowl package. Football fans will watch any game if they know it's on and ESPN doesn't do nearly as good a job promoting the FCS Championship game...if they packaged it as part of their "most wonderful time of the year" bowl package, I bet the ratings would be better.

SoCon48
June 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Wofford's 2002 team would beg to differ.

Yeah, Ayers is probably still bitching to the media about that.

All he had to do that year was beat lowly VMI who had demoted itself to the Big South. But no, they screwed the pooch on that one. He hung his hat on having beaten a team that did go by a TD and skunking Newberry. Time and time again, a team that beat another team during the regular season then lost to them in the play-offs, so it proved zilch.
Plus Woff topped it off by barely winning over two SoCom bottom feeders at the time at home (WCU and Chatt).
He had no case but still likes to sputter about it to the media. He liked to blubber about ASU's RL being on the selection committee. Hell, App was left off more than once while he was on the committee and sent on the road several times. Plus RL had no vote in any decision affecting App.

SoCon48
June 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM
There's a term used here to describe a team that deserved to make the playoffs but didn't. It's called getting Woofed.

I think politics come into play the higher up the bowl chain you go. The lower teir bowls are usually easy to slot unless a league doesn't fill it's quota.

Wofford had a case in their own mind. The Terriers screwed the pooch when they lost to lowly VMI.

Hoyadestroya85
June 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM

absolutely true if Villanova (or Georgetown) had a basketball game against University of Alaska Fairbanks or Chaminade on tv the same night as they were playing in the FCS national title game, i'm confident that more people would watch the basketball game