PDA

View Full Version : App wins emmy with Under the Lights

ericsaid
June 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
http://www.goasu.com/article/11989/

putter
June 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Does anyone have that video archived? That would be good to watch.

neersnbeers
June 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
I only have it with the 3 peat DVD. Its really good though. Talking about being at the right place at the right time!

thmst30
June 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yea FSN lucked into that one big time. It was going to be a 30 minute show on how we prepare for the season, and it turned into an hour long special on how ASU prepared for and beat Michigan. I know I'm a biased App fan and all, but it really was very well done and an impressive piece of TV work. They did a great job, and the guys who worked on it deserve the award for sure.

onbison09
June 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Youtube or video link anyone?

gophoenix
June 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I am not trying to nitpick, but when I read this, I thought App had produced this and won the Emmy.

App didn't win the Emmy, Fox SportsSouth did. The material was just based on App.

That's a big difference.

Jerbearasu
June 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Youtube or video link anyone?

It was an hour long television broadcast, I doubt they have the video on the internet.

texcap
June 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
I am not trying to nitpick, but when I read this, I thought App had produced this and won the Emmy.

App didn't win the Emmy, Fox SportsSouth did. The material was just based on App.

That's a big difference.

Agreed that is a big difference, but the press release does state that:

"Appalachian head coach Jerry Moore accepted the Emmy for the Outstanding Achievement, Sports — One-Time Special category. Moore was one of four names on the official nomination, which also included producer Steve Becker, producer Ray Goodrich and assistant producer Kyle Payne."

Skjellyfetti
June 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM

That's a big difference.

We know you don't like App. No need to constantly remind us.

gophoenix
June 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Agreed that is a big difference, but the press release does state that:

Yes I know that, but that is not App winning it, that is Moore accepting it because his name was on the list of producers.

We know you don't like App. No need to constantly remind us.

No, I don't dislike App. I just feel that if we are going to be continually bombarded with every scrap of press, rumor, news, fundraisers, etc about App, then the information can at least be accurate.

ericsaid
June 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
It is accurate, without App, there never would have been an award given for the under the lights segment on Appalachian, in my mind it is appalachians emmy.

paward
June 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Congratulations, Appalchian fans, coaching staff and any others that contributed. I saw it and it was a nice piece.

AppStateold299
June 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
too bad you can't buy the dvd anywhere. I can't believe they won't sell any more of those. They also ran out of the quest for 3 dvds. What ever happened to supply and demand?

Skjellyfetti
June 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
too bad you can't buy the dvd anywhere. I can't believe they won't sell any more of those. They also ran out of the quest for 3 dvds. What ever happened to supply and demand?

They were only allowed to sell a certain number of them because of their agreements with ESPN and the Big Ten network that let us use their coverage.

IndianaAppMan
June 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
No, I don't dislike App. I just feel that if we are going to be continually bombarded with every scrap of press, rumor, news, fundraisers, etc about App, then the information can at least be accurate.

My gosh, why be so technical? Those producers never would have gotten the Emmy without App's Michigan victory, no matter how good their coverage was. Jerry Moore TECHNICALLY was the Emmy winner, not App, because Emmys (or is it "Emmy's"?xoopsx )are given to individuals, not organizations. The point is that it's essentially another honor for App State and something we Mountaineer fans can be proud of.

I'm sorry people get irritated with all the Appalachian news. Here's an easy solution if it's so annoying: ignore it. Reading AGS isn't essential to life; reading the App State posts certainly aren't either.

Anyway, I would love to hear some news about Elon. My wife (an Elon grad) and I are getting out of the Hoosier state in August and will visit both of our alma maters. (Aside: my gosh do I wish the visits could be for a game!xbawlingx )gophoenix, if there is any news you'd like to share about Elon athletics, especially the football program, please do. I for one hope they'll be great this year.

AppStateold299
June 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
They were only allowed to sell a certain number of them because of their agreements with ESPN and the Big Ten network that let us use their coverage.

I understand about the rights thing, but I still don't understand because they could make a killing off of that dvd. They could jack up the price, keep more of the profits, or whatever they wanted to and appfans would still buy the dvd.

ASUMountaineer
June 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
I think it was a damn fine production, regardless of the fact that I am in. :)

The Cats
June 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM

That's a big difference.

I for one also get sick of hearing all the asu hype...... but they DID win the game and the show DID win the Emmy..... give the devil it's due....

I only wish it had been Western....

neersnbeers
June 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I for one also get sick of hearing all the asu hype...... but they DID win the game and the show DID win the Emmy..... give the devil it's due....

I only wish it had been Western....

Thanks Catxthumbsupx However every dog has it's day. Ups and downs, just ask GaSo, tha Griz, the Penguins(or whatever they are). Your day will come.....maybe

The Cats
June 24th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Your day will come.....maybe

maybe? xoopsx

neersnbeers
June 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
maybe? xoopsx

xlolx xlolx xlolx Just joshin ya. I've recently moved to Hendersonville and I've been bumping into many Western'ers. It's all good funxsmiley_wix

IndianaAppMan
June 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx Just joshin ya. I've recently moved to Hendersonville and I've been bumping into many Western'ers. It's all good funxsmiley_wix

I love Hendersonville! Don't worry, man. There's a lot of App grads living there, too. Actually, what's cool about that town is there's no dominant fan/almumni base. It's a mixed bag of UNC, UT, Clemson, App, Western, UNC-A, NCSU, and lots more. Be sure to check out Jump Off Rock near Laurel Park. The view there is unbelievable.

I know that's not topic-related. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Of course, I've gotta say that it's awesome to see App State (or to satisfy gophoenix's insistence on being technical, Jerry Moore) get yet another high-profile honor.

AppStFan76
June 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Of course, I've gotta say that it's awesome to see App State (or to satisfy gophoenix's insistence on being technical, Jerry Moore) get yet another high-profile honor.

Thanks for being "accurate"!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Skjellyfetti
June 24th, 2008, 02:31 PM

I went by the bookstore today and they had a stack of about 20 or so copies. Not sure if they are reserved or on hold... but they had a decent amount. If you're interested I'd go by there or give them a call.

neersnbeers
June 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I love Hendersonville! Don't worry, man. There's a lot of App grads living there, too. Actually, what's cool about that town is there's no dominant fan/almumni base. It's a mixed bag of UNC, UT, Clemson, App, Western, UNC-A, NCSU, and lots more. Be sure to check out Jump Off Rock near Laurel Park. The view there is unbelievable.

I know that's not topic-related. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I got transfered from Greenville. Soooo glad too, if I see one more pumpkin tiger paw I might shoot myself. But I really do like it here.

Back to topic, I am very proud of the downpour of awards the ASU gang is racking up. They deserve every bit of it. It wasn't too long ago I sat in Kidd Brewer with head in hands every other weekend. Every dog has it's day.....xcoffeex

elcid96
June 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
One of the App fans needs to post some of the DVD on YouTube. You can break it up, but get er done so the rest of us can watch it.

Saint3333
June 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM

That's a big difference.

You may be right, but the Emmy sitting in the ASU athletic trophy case when a recruits walks by it won't be thinking that.

SoCon48
June 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM
You may be right, but the Emmy sitting in the ASU athletic trophy case when a recruits walks by it won't be thinking that.

"Moore accepted the award" kind of sums it up:

Appalachian head coach Jerry Moore accepted the Emmy for the Outstanding Achievement, Sports — One-Time Special category.

Syntax Error
June 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) Southeast Chapter Emmys banquet in Atlanta.It is good that the App St. TV show won the regional Emmy but look at the competition:
Under The Lights: Appalachian State Football — A Date With Destiny
(Steve Becker, Ray Goodrich, Kyle Payne, Jerry Moore)
FSN South — Spotlight: Jeff Francoeur
(Steve Becker, Keith Wetzler, Katy Temple, Jeff Francoeur)
Under The Lights: A-Town Dancer Swimsuit Calendar
(Steve Becker, Keith Wetzler)
Under The Lights: Bruce Pearl
(Steve Becker, Ray Goodrich, Kyle Payne, Bruce Pearl).

smallcollegefbfan
June 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
It is good that the App St. TV show won the regional Emmy but look at the competition:
Under The Lights: Appalachian State Football — A Date With Destiny
(Steve Becker, Ray Goodrich, Kyle Payne, Jerry Moore)
FSN South — Spotlight: Jeff Francoeur
(Steve Becker, Keith Wetzler, Katy Temple, Jeff Francoeur)
Under The Lights: A-Town Dancer Swimsuit Calendar
(Steve Becker, Keith Wetzler)
Under The Lights: Bruce Pearl
(Steve Becker, Ray Goodrich, Kyle Payne, Bruce Pearl).

Let's just be glad an FCS team won something. Who cares about the competition they beat out FBS schools for an Emmy. That is a good day regardless!

Cleets
June 26th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I have not taken the time to PLOD through this albatross of a thread...
sorry if that has already been asked but wow...

Question: Where can I get the DVD via mail order...
any help..?

xcoffeex

ElonPride
June 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Seriously? A production about App winning an Emmy is supposed to be big news? This really isn't that big a of a deal, and honestly shouldn't warrant a post here, but on your own board.

I guess Elon needs to start a thread about every award an Elon student has received. Hmmm.....how about my old friend Rich Bomquist....he's now won 4 Emmy's as a writer for the Daily Show.

And before you say I'm jealous or sour, I'm acutally not. I've won numerous national/international awards for video production, company awards and yes, I've even received an Emmy nod.

App fans, you're seriously making this into a bigger deal than it really is......

Saint3333
June 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Those Emmy's have nothing to do with FCS football, I'm not sure I see the connection.

IndianaAppMan
June 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Seriously? A production about App winning an Emmy is supposed to be big news? This really isn't that big a of a deal, and honestly shouldn't warrant a post here, but on your own board.

I guess Elon needs to start a thread about every award an Elon student has received. Hmmm.....how about my old friend Rich Bomquist....he's now won 4 Emmy's as a writer for the Daily Show.

And before you say I'm jealous or sour, I'm acutally not. I've won numerous national/international awards for video production, company awards and yes, I've even received an Emmy nod.

App fans, you're seriously making this into a bigger deal than it really is......

Nobody's saying you're jealous or sour. That's great that some Elon graduates have won Emmys, but it's not football- or sports-related. This Emmy clearly was, and it was an award for an accomplishment of the football team itself, not for former students. There's no reason to belittle that.

What is the point of going on AGS to brag about personal accomplishments? The point of AGS is talk about our teams and the FCS in general.

patssle
June 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I've won numerous national/international awards for video production, company awards and yes, I've even received an Emmy nod.

A sports show I produced on SHSU football and athletics won a national award too.

I won the award, not the coach, school, or team. App State didn't win anything, the people who produced the video did.

ElonPride
June 26th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Nobody's saying you're jealous or sour. That's great that some Elon graduates have won Emmys, but it's not football- or sports-related. This Emmy clearly was, and it was an award for an accomplishment of the football team itself, not for former students. There's no reason to belittle that.

What is the point of going on AGS to brag about personal accomplishments? The point of AGS is talk about our teams and the FCS in general.

I guess my point was a little diluted, but I was trying to echo GP and the WCU fan about all the App related posts on this board. Some things should be keep on your own board, and every little thing shouldn't be posted here.

The award was not for the accomplishment of the football team either. It was an award for the directors and producers that created the project. Granted, if App didn't beat Michigan this wouldn't be a thread anyway....

I do tip my hat to the editors of the project. They're the ones that never receive the glory.

IndianaAppMan
June 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
A sports show I produced on SHSU football and athletics won a national award too.

I won the award, not the coach, school, or team. App State didn't win anything, the people who produced the video did.

From goasu.com :

"Appalachian head coach Jerry Moore accepted the Emmy for the Outstanding Achievement, Sports � One-Time Special category. Moore was one of four names on the official nomination, which also included executive producer Steve Becker, producer Ray Goodrich and assistant producer Kyle Payne."

As mentioned before, no, Appalachian State did not win an Emmy. As far as I'm aware, organizations don't win Emmys. In fact, it doesn't say that FSN South won the Emmy, either. It went to individuals.

The point is that this is a recognition for Appalachian State. That Emmy never would have happened without what ASU did on the field or without letting FSN follow the team around in summer two-a-days.

Congrats on your award, but if I were you, I wouldn't mind if my alma mater shared received publicity if I received a national award for documenting ASU sports, even the school technically wasn't listed as the award-winner.

SoCon48
June 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
From reading the other schools' fans posts, saying it was no big deal and should have just been relegated to the ASU board, then I guess the SoCon shouldn't have headlined it on their site?? Still headlined on the football portion of the site. Maybe someone should e-mail them and tell them it doesn't belong.

And man after reading some of the redundant trivial threads on this board (some even started by the complainers themselves re the Emmy thread, can't see how this thread is an issue..xrolleyesx

http://www.soconsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&KEY=&SPID=1781&SPSID=21895

SoCon48
June 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Real humble of you of you to disassociate the team, school, coach, etc.

Luckily App was recognized by the producers, etc or schools would think twice before allowing them in the locker room, offices, field all during busy pre-season practice, during games, etc. Moore and Co spent a lot of their time on this venture.

Could you have won the award using just any ol' team that year instead of SHSU and without their cooperation?

By the way, congratulations on your award, too. I'm sure SHSU was proud, also. Was it an Emmy?

patssle
June 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Real humble of you of you to disassociate the team, school, coach, etc.

Luckily App was recognized by the producers, etc or schools would think twice before allowing them in the locker room, offices, field all during busy pre-season practice, during games, etc. Moore and Co spent a lot of their time on this venture.

Could you have won the award using just any ol' team that year instead of SHSU and without their cooperation?

By the way, congratulations on your award, too. I'm sure SHSU was proud, also. Was it an Emmy?

I didn't disassociate myself from the school when I won it...but I didn't have the school accepting the award for all my hard work.

In the opening line, it says Moore accepted it, then the REAL producers are an after-thought. Its the producers that do all writing, editing, and producing. Just coming from my perspective of a video producer, it would annoy me if somebody in my video claimed the award when I was the one that did a majority of the hard work.

Congrats to the FSN producers for winning the Emmy. Congrats to App State for beating Michigan.

SoCon48
June 26th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I see your point, but this was a news relaease about ASU athletics. readers on the goasu.com, soconsports.com nor the local newpaper wouldn't give a tinker's dam about the individual producers, etc. Nor the readers of this forum.
Same with the film industry magazines. they won't give a hoot about jerry Moore or the little school in the mountains of North Carolina.

Just journalism.

patssle
June 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I agree, and I don't blame the press release. Its this thread with an inaccurate title and posts.

Skjellyfetti
June 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I agree, and I don't blame the press release. Its this thread with an inaccurate title and posts.

The title is anything but misleading. "

App wins emmy with Under the Lights"

App wins the Emmy along side the television program "Under the Lights." It's not claiming it for Appalachian alone. It gives credit to the television program. How is it misleading?

patssle
June 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM
"App wins emmy" "App wins the emmy"

Whatever comes afterwards dosn't really matter, App did not win the Emmy.

FSN wins Emmy with Under the Lights, FSN wins the Emmy with Under the Lights that covered App State's win over Michigan

or

App State highlighted in Emmy winning FSN show Under the Lights. App State featured in Under The Lights which wins Emmy.

Skjellyfetti
June 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM

FSN wins Emmy with Under the Lights, FSN wins the Emmy with Under the Lights that covered App State's win over Michigan

or

App State highlighted in Emmy winning FSN show Under the Lights. App State featured in Under The Lights which wins Emmy.

xlolx xlolx Ok.xrolleyesx

I guess you should write a letter to Jerry Moore and tell him to send the trophy back. xthumbsupx

ElonPride
June 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM

or

Patssle, Folks outside of our industry just don't understand.

B&G
June 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah b/c this stuff is SO high level.

patssle
June 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah b/c this stuff is SO high level.

Elon makes a point. He and I are maybe the only 2 on AGS that are actually in the professional video production industry...and funny enough our views are the exact same regarding this.

Skjellyfetti
June 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Elon makes a point. He and I are maybe the only 2 on AGS that are actually in the professional video production industry...and funny enough our views are the exact same regarding this.

Please explain why Jerry Moore as well as FSN received trophies. Thanks.

patssle
June 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM

FSN wanted to thank him for the extrodinary access they were granted and the time he, his staff, and his players gave for interviews and such.

Without him the production would of not been possible. But that does not make him part of the production team.

ElonPride
June 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM

As with most awards in TV, if your organization is a "winner" you can include anyone you want as a recipient of a statuette. You just have to pay for an extra one (generally around $150)......

APPALACHIANstate
June 27th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Well I am sure Moore provided them with a lot of their information and other footage...

SoCon48
June 28th, 2008, 06:57 AM
As with most awards in TV, if your organization is a "winner" you can include anyone you want as a recipient of a statuette. You just have to pay for an extra one (generally around $150)......

I think the press release that went out well before the Emmy was won pretty much disputes the fact that App or Fox simply purchased a duplicate after the fact. Jerry Moore was named in the nomination itself. Now App may have decided that Jerry Moore would be designated on the nomination to represent the dozens of other App people who played a hand in the outcome. e.g David Jackson's ASN and media production staff provided much of the footage and narration used in the documentary.Regardless, Jerry Moore was named in the nomination itself, not one who decided to buy a copy.
The release prior to the Emmy winner being selected:

Appalachian head coach Jerry Moore is one of the four names listed in the official nomination in the Outstanding Achievement, Sports — One-Time Special category. He is joined by executive producer Steve Becker, producer Ray Goodrich and assistant producer Kyle Payne.

If this was not the case, then the release itself was erroneous and misleading.

SoCon48
June 28th, 2008, 07:07 AM

And you're obviously two of the few who have not seen the video nor followed its pre lease development to know how much involvement ASU had in it. This wasn't just a case of App and Moore unlocking doors and letting the the Fox crew follow them around. For the record, we all realized from the get go that Coach JM was not a producer. It didn't take two expertsin the field to inform us of that. However ASU's media staff did assist in the production.

ElonPride
June 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM
If this was not the case, then the release itself was erroneous and misleading.

What's misleading is the title of this thread because App DID NOT win the Emmy. PERIOD!

SideLine Shooter
June 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
What's misleading is the title of this thread because App DID NOT win the Emmy. PERIOD!

Thank you little feller for pointing that out. I never would have known

Footix
June 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Just saw on a commercial that the App. State edition of Under the Lights will air Sunday night on Sportsouth at 9 p.m.

Saint3333
June 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM

In the fall I'll take a picture of the trophy case. Why is this so hard to understand?

SoCon48
June 29th, 2008, 09:56 PM

I think that was settled a couple dozen posts back. ASU did not. ASU football was the subject of an Emmy award winning broadcast. But, yes, JM was one of the four recipents not the purchaser of a $150 copy.

Don't know why this thread is continuing since several have said the award was insignificant.

ElonPride
June 30th, 2008, 08:00 AM
In the fall I'll take a picture of the trophy case. Why is this so hard to understand?

The last award I won for a production, I also bought a copy of the statuette for the client to put in their office. Does that mean THEY won the award? Nope! You, the fans, have no right to claim it as "we" won the award.

You can take as many pictures as you want, and keep with the dillusions that it is "yours."

Why is that so hard to understand?xrolleyesx

Saint3333
June 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM
xrolleyesx I'm sure the recruits will know the difference, get over your "in the business" attitude.

ElonPride
June 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
xrolleyesx I'm sure the recruits will know the difference, get over your "in the business" attitude.

My "in the business" attitude comes from those taking credit for something that isn't their own.xnonono2x

So, App is going to use an Emmy as a football recruiting tool?xeyebrowx

SoCon48
June 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
My "in the business" attitude comes from those taking credit for something that isn't their own.xnonono2x

So, App is going to use an Emmy as a football recruiting tool?xeyebrowx

If you see the video, you'd say, damn right!

SoCon48
June 30th, 2008, 09:38 PM
The last award I won for a production, I also bought a copy of the statuette for the client to put in their office. Does that mean THEY won the award? Nope! You, the fans, have no right to claim it as "we" won the award.

You can take as many pictures as you want, and keep with the dillusions that it is "yours."

Why is that so hard to understand?xrolleyesx

I'd give you $50 bucks if App or JM bought the Emmy...unless all three others did, too.;)

If you'd read the press release, you'd realize the academy named JM on the same nomination and equally with the 3 producers. If he bought his, then at least 2 others bought their's.xrolleyesx

Maybe these questions from the Emmy site wiill clue you in:

"]"My name wasn't on the entry but I was a contributor to an EMMY-awarded piece. Can I buy a statue?"
COLOR]\
JM's name was on the entry.

This would settle it:Duplicate statuettes may be ordered for display purposes only. The name plate will be engraved exactly as it appeared on the original EMMY award and will include the word DUPLICATE.

If Jerry Moore's has the word "dupicate" on it, then you're right. if not, then your expertise in the field did not include this award's presentation details.

Production Plaques

Production plaques may be purchased by individuals designated by the entrant of an EMMY-awarded entry. These plaques are for persons who made a significant contribution to a winning piece's award- worthiness but were not listed on the original entry.

The rosewood plaque is 10 ½ x 13 with an inscribed gold plate featuring the academy logo. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery.

JM's is not a plaque. It is a statuette.xrulesx

SoCon48
June 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM
One more little detail:

A quick word about promoting those EMMY wins:
EMMY winners may refer in advertising and publicity to the fact that they are an EMMY recipient and for one year after the award was bestowed may use a replica of the EMMY statuette in such advertising. A registration mark and the appropriate copyright notice (c) NATAS/ATAS must accompany any portrayal of the EMMY.

Doesn't say Emmy duplicate purchaser.

Skjellyfetti
June 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/outofrep.jpg

Nice work, SoCon.

ElonPride
July 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM
One more little detail:

A quick word about promoting those EMMY wins:
EMMY winners may refer in advertising and publicity to the fact that they are an EMMY recipient and for one year after the award was bestowed may use a replica of the EMMY statuette in such advertising. A registration mark and the appropriate copyright notice (c) NATAS/ATAS must accompany any portrayal of the EMMY.

Doesn't say Emmy duplicate purchaser.

Dude, you're missing the point here, I'm no longer arguing about Jerry. I was wrong about that part and I admit it. He was listed as a "producer."......my attidtude is coming from you, the fans, saying "WE" won the Emmy.......YOU DID NOT!

AppStFan76
July 1st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Are you still going on about the Emmy thing, Pride?

Get over it, agree to disagree!xcoffeex

Its like a wind up toy....you just have to know which buttons to pushxlolx