PDA

View Full Version : UMass/JMU stays in Amherst

ChickenMan
October 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM
"After walking the field with Jim Maconaghy (A-10 coordinator of football officials) and several of our game officials, I am satisfied that the playing surface at McGuirk Stadium is suitable for play," says Bruno. "The field maintenance people at UMass did an unbelievable job in readying the field for tomorrow’s game and should be commended for their efforts.

http://www.atlantic10.com/sports/football/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=1739

JMUfan2008
October 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM
thanks ChickenMan, now everyone can stop talking about the stupid field. The emphasis can be put back on the game now...

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
thanks ChickenMan, now everyone can stop talking about the stupid field. The emphasis can be put back on the game now...

Yes, hopefully the JMU staff will stop their whining about a wet field. At least most JMU fans aren't complaining about it, they're too smart for that.

FightinBluHen51
October 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
But the same situation might repeat itself next week.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 12:16 PM
But the same situation might repeat itself next week.

Umass doesn't play at home next week. ;)

DTSpider
October 14th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Yes, but JMU is supposed to go to Delaware.

blur2005
October 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Thank God. Now we can beat them on their field and it will on television for all to see.

JMU Duke Dog
October 14th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Thank God. Now we can beat them on their field and it will on television for all to see.

Yes, JMU needs to end the Minutemen's home winning streak against the Dukes. Most of these players were not even in elementary school the last time JMU won in Amherst.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Yes, but JMU is supposed to go to Delaware.

All I can say is if there's a little water on the UD field Matthews will get out his crying towel and try to have the game moved to JMU. :rolleyes:

JMUfan2008
October 14th, 2005, 12:48 PM
All I can say is if there's a little water on the UD field Matthews will get out his crying towel and try to have the game moved to JMU. :rolleyes:

btw, Jeff Bourne our AD initiated the whole thing, not Matthews

JMU Duke Dog
October 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM
All I can say is if there's a little water on the UD field Matthews will get out his crying towel and try to have the game moved to JMU.

Yes it does seem like something Jeff Bourne would do and not like something Mickey Matthews would do. Coach Matthews suggested that the game be played in the parking lot just as long as it will be played. You need to watch yourself saint0197. Stop putting so much anger and hate into your posts.

FightinBluHen51
October 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Delaware Admin would probably give in too.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 12:58 PM

I'm sure Matthews had Bourne look into it because he didn't want to play on grass.

JMUfan2008
October 14th, 2005, 01:02 PM
keep going until you get kicked off this board too saint....geez....drop it about the Matthews thing....Bourne would do it to take away the UMass advantage if anyone would. The only reason that Matthews would do something like that would be the saftey of his players. The thing is, the whole point is null now that it is confirmed we're coming to Amherst, so give it a rest

JMU Duke Dog
October 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM
I'm sure Matthews had Bourne look into it because he didn't want to play on grass.

xidiotx

Yes, JMU is absolutely terrified to play on a grass surface playing field. So terrified that they have even stopped using their practice field (which is a grass surface playing field for those non-JMUers). Both the AD and coach are conspiring on the Delaware and William & Mary games to be moved due to them being grass surface playing fields as well.

:lmao: "Saint," you tear me up with your idiotic statements. I hope you are in store for experiencing your first UMass home loss to JMU since 1987 tomorrow.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 01:06 PM
You need to watch yourself saint0197. Stop putting so much anger and hate into your posts.

I'm not angry at all. I just think it's pathetic that Matthews is making such a big deal about playing on a wet field. Does he even know this is football?? That sometimes you have to play on a wet field or in the rain or in the snow. If he hates it so bad build a dome over JMU this way he wont get wet. :rolleyes:

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 01:09 PM
xidiotx

Yes, JMU is absolutely terrified to play on a grass surface playing field. So terrified that they have even stopped using their practice field (which is a grass surface playing field for those non-JMUers). Both the AD and coach are conspiring on the Delaware and William & Mary games to be moved due to them being grass surface playing fields as well.

:lmao: "Saint," you tear me up with your idiotic statements. I hope you are in store for experiencing your first UMass home loss to JMU since 1987 tomorrow.
Some things just never come to an end and UMass beating JMU at home is just one of those things.... deal with it.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM
xidiotx
"Saint," you tear me up with your idiotic statements. I hope you are in store for experiencing your first UMass home loss to JMU since 1987 tomorrow.

So what if we lose, it wont be the end of the world. I'll get up Sunday morning go down to Dunkin Donuts and get my coffee, I'll come home turn on the T.V. and watch NFL Game Day and life goes on. :D

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
The only reason that Matthews would do something like that would be the saftey of his players.

I don't remember any quotes in the articles I read about JMU wanting the field changed for the safety of the players. I could have missed it of course, but the only thing I saw is that they complained about the field being wet so they wanted a different field, no mention on safety of players. Feel free to prove me wrong, I hope they did say something about it.

I do remember the Matthews taking a shot at UMass' field, "It's not a good field up there...It's unfortunate we have to play on a bad surface."

The league spokesman said they need to make sure it's safe, "Our position is just to make sure nobody will be in a position to get hurt,' said league spokesman Ray Cella. 'The field could be fine. It's just a matter of taking a look at it to make sure there are no problems."

I just don't remember JMU making a comment like that, would certainly make sense if they did, I just didn't see it :(

colgate13
October 14th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Some things just never come to an end and UMass beating JMU at home is just one of those things.... deal with it.

First umassfan channels Colgate for talking about playing in the weather, and now it's Delaware for talking about home field advantage and years of dominance!

Where's that defibrillator? :eek: :p

ChickenMan
October 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
First umassfan channels Colgate for talking about playing in the weather, and now it's Delaware for talking about home field advantage and years of dominance!

Where's that defibrillator? :eek: :p

if nothing else... ummassfan is consistent... :p

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM
UMass has won 11 of its last 13 games on Homecoming including six wins over ranked teams including last season's 35-34 win over No. 19 Maine.

UMass has won four of the last five games it has played against a Top 5 team, winning four in a row prior to a 21-7 loss to then-No. 4 Delaware last season. They beat No. 4 Colgate in the second game of last season, 30-20 on Sept. 11 at McGuirk Stadium

GannonFan
October 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Yup, UMass sporting that 4-1-1 record against JMU at home is certainly the stuff of legend. :rolleyes:

LBPop
October 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Without knowing all the history here, I never blame a coach for trying to gain an advantage (or eliminate a disadvantage) for his team within the rules. Having said that, my concern would be that once a coach goes on record saying that kind of stuff, he has now given his players an excuse for losing. Rather than crying in public, I would prefer that he use the field issue as a rallying point within the team and then get them to go out and kick somebody's butt.

JMU Duke Dog
October 14th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I am glad to see more sane people realize how many idiots come from UMass.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 03:21 PM
keep going until you get kicked off this board too saint....geez....

Why would I get kicked off this board, what did I say that was so bad??????

blur2005
October 14th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Well, since our team could give a crap about what surface they play on, I fully expect this to end tomorrow.

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Well, since our team could give a crap about what surface they play on, I fully expect this to end tomorrow.

If you didnt give a crap then your AD and Coach wouldnt have cried like little babys tried to move the game.... did they think we would move it to JMU or something?

blur2005
October 14th, 2005, 06:02 PM
If you didnt give a crap then your AD and Coach wouldnt have cried like little babys tried to move the game.... did they think we would move it to JMU or something?
Give it a rest. We won on horrible field conditions in the highest level of I-AA. What have you done lately?

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Give it a rest. We won on horrible field conditions in the highest level of I-AA. What have you done lately?
We won on the same field one week ago... you take your last year exp ill take our last week exp.

SeattleGriz
October 14th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Does anyone find irony in this whole situation considering JMU won the national championship on a horrible field. I would think they would be excited to play on another bad field.

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Does anyone find irony in this whole situation considering JMU won the national championship on a horrible field. I would think they would be excited to play on another bad field.

No. There is nothing wrong with UMass' field, Bruno said so herself ;)

Sam Adams
October 14th, 2005, 06:48 PM

I love it - JMU raised this whole issue to begin with. There is nothing stupid about our football field. Muddy? sure, but not stupid. Thats a low blow. ;)

Sam Adams
October 14th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Look it seems like JMU made a few less than intelligent comments about the field. UMass has a great grass field. Will it be wet and muddy tomorrow? Absolutely. Does that mean JMU can dictate to the A10 to move the game to some astroturf down in Springfield? Absolutely NOT.

JMU is the deserved favorite tomorrow - Defending National Champs and a great football team - I just hope UMass can stay close and squeak out the win in the end. Lets cut the crap and get ready for a great game between two great teams and two great universities.

Tailgating starts at 10:00.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 14th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Finally, a voice of reason!!! :eek:

We'll be just fine in the mud. We were in Williamsburg and Chatty last year in the playoffs, and those teams scared me a lot more than this UMass team.

Also, if there are any excuses, I would tend to use the travel excuse. The team had a long layover in Baltimore today.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I love it - JMU raised this whole issue to begin with. There is nothing stupid about our football field. Muddy? sure, but not stupid. Thats a low blow. ;)

Just consider the source :rolleyes:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 14th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Sam - you've been a quality poster on here the whole time. I wish more UMass fans had your level-headed nature.

It will be a great game, and I am grateful to get to watch it tomorrow at noon - on the Internet if i have too!! :rolleyes:

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM

We'll be just fine in the mud. We were in Williamsburg and Chatty last year in the playoffs, and those teams scared me a lot more than this UMass team.

Also, if there are any excuses, I would tend to use the travel excuse. The team had a long layover in Baltimore today.

So now you are going to bitch about a long layover? geez give it a rest... the game isnt till tomorrow and you are already making excuses... you made it to the hotel today... a whole night before the game.

JMU Duke Dog
October 14th, 2005, 08:23 PM
So now you are going to bitch about a long layover? geez give it a rest... the game isnt till tomorrow and you are already making excuses... you made it to the hotel today... a whole night before the game.

Can you not tell that was a sarcastic comment?

JMU2004
October 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM

and my already low opinion of UMass continues to drop

umassfan
October 15th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Why is that because JMU fans are bitchin about a layover? Because you guys bitch your opinion of us drops? Does that even make sense?

JMU2004
October 15th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Why is that because JMU fans are bitchin about a layover? Because you guys bitch your opinion of us drops? Does that even make sense?

reference the UMass posters all over this board.....your own AD ADMITS he would do the same if he were in our own shoes....so in all actuality, YOU ARE THE ONE BITCHING

2003 Colgate......where bitching became UMass

JMU2004
October 15th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Look you A-10 folks, enough is enough. Quit this crap on the discussion board now please. Take it to smack if you must carry on this way.

I am just trying to set the facts straight.....UMass posters have made it sound like Mickey and the crew were begging for a free pass. A lot of I-AA somehow believes it. If you look at the facts and quotes, it was the ADs, the A-10, and probably TV concerns that prompted this whole thing.

And with that, let the UMass trolls continue this thread

JMU2004
October 15th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Just ignore that stuff. I talked to Mickey this week and he wasn't looking for an out. Far from it. I-AA (notice the spelling) doesn't believe that a free pass was wanted. Let it roll off. I think all the games had to be examined, for safety's sake. On this board we want facts and discussion based on them. Not petty squabbling. You know what I mean and you are not being singled out.

I-AA....fixed it. And I certainly know what you mean. This thread sucks, and I wish we had more had more football talk going on.

Best of luck UMass......have a good game, no injuries, and enjoy Homecoming

rcny46
October 15th, 2005, 02:33 AM

I can see your point.Those people are something else.I hope the Dukes kick their butts.

blur2005
October 15th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Exactly why I fully believe we will win.

bkrownd
October 15th, 2005, 04:38 AM
HA-HA, hope you dookies bring your LONG cleats and waders. McGuirk is built on a swamp. Oh, and watch out for the swine pen down around the 20 yard line. That's the bacon the aggie students are raising for the team's breakfast. Be ready for Mud Bowl 2005!

Sam Adams
October 15th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Its a steady rain here about 1.5 hours west of Amherst. Its supposed to continue all day. I'm Digging in the back of the closet for the rain gear.

I think the muddy track favors getting the ball first and scoring on your opening drive. After that things will get sloppier all day. The conditions would seem to favor JMU since they the better running game. In fact they seem to have the better team on paper, but I will go and see who has the better team on the mud.

At this point the McGuirk Stadium field conditions are definately :deadhorse

Should be fun. Hope to meet some JMU fans. Looking forward to a good football game with good sportsmanship from both teams and hoping the Minutemen can pull the upset.

Have a good Gameday everyone! xcoffeex

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM

DukeDawg: Upon further review it looks like you may want to credit the UMass Football team and not look to weather and a travel layover

JMU had 2 key turnovers. Banks was held to 46 yds. Fenner to 36. Rascati managed 61 yds in the air. Meanwhile UMass threw for 168 Yds. Koegel averaged 56 yds a punt - HUGE stat.

umassfan
October 16th, 2005, 05:41 PM
''I love playing on turf," said Patriots linebacker Rosevelt Colvin, just days after a game against the Atlanta Falcons played on the Georgia Dome's FieldTurf. ''I'd love for Mr. Kraft to put FieldTurf in the stadium, but I doubt he would do that. Just because the way football is around here. Hard-working people. Sloppy, muddy games. Snowy games. That's football. That's old-school football. I think that's one of the things people out here enjoy -- although I still would love [turf]."