PDA

View Full Version : THE SPORTING NEWS FCS PRESEASON TOP 25

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Here is the top 25. If you guys want anything else from the mag just let me know and I will post it.

1. App State
2. JMU
3. UNI
4. EWU
5. Delaware
6. Montana
7. Richmond
8. NDSU
9. Youngstown St.
10. Cal Poly
11. UMASS
12. Elon
13. Wofford
14. McNeese St.
15. WIU
16. EIU
17. Villanova
18. Northern Arizona
19. Montana St.
20. Harvard
21. Southern Ill.
22. The Citadel
23. UNH
24. Delaware St.
25. Fordham

ALL-AMERICA TEAM

OFFENSE
QB Armanti Edwards, App State
RB Tyler Roehl, NDSU
RB Jordan Scott, Colgate
OL Matthew McCracken, Richmond
OL Joel Bell, Furman
OL Chaz Millard, Eastern Illinois
OL Eman Naghavi, McNeese St.
C Stephen Field, Cal Poly
WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon
TE Clay Harbor, Missouri St.
PK Jon Striefsky, Delaware
RS Jeremy Gilchrist, Hampton

DEFENSE
DL Gary Tharrington, App State
DL Mary Huygens, UNI
DL Jovan Belcher, Maine
DL Brian Jackson, Lehigh
LB Bobby Daly, Montana State
LB Jason Williams, WIU
LB Seth Goldwire, Wofford
DB Lardarius Webb, Nicholls St.
DB Al Donaldson, Alabama A&M
DB David Hyland, Morehead St.
DB Brandon Gathof, EKU
P Kevin Cook, EIU

TOP PLAYERS
OFFENSE- Armanti Edwards, QB, App State
DEFENSE- Bobby Daly, LB, Montana St.
NEWCOMER- Ryan Perrilloux, QB, Jax State

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Montana State?

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Montana State?

I didn't put it together. I just posted what they had. xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
June 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Messengers get shot around these parts.

hebmskebm
June 21st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Anyone else think EWU is at least 10 places too high?

bostonspider
June 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Or Richmond 3-5 spaces too low???

slycat
June 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Or Richnmond 3-5 spaces too low???

no:D

slycat
June 21st, 2008, 03:07 PM

yes

TheBisonator
June 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Eastern Washington ahead of NDSU??

Keep smoking that wacky weed, Sporting News!!!

slostang
June 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM

They have the talent to be that high. Now we just have to see how that talent plays for a new coach.

phillyAPP
June 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
Montana State?

Good thing this is just preseason poll.

GSU will be in the top 15 before the end of Sept.

TheBisonator
June 21st, 2008, 03:18 PM
They have the talent to be that high. Now we just have to see how that talent plays for a new coach.

EWU is a good team, don't get me wrong, but they have a recent history of underachieving with what they have. I'd have them in the top 15 right now, but not the top 5.

phillyAPP
June 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM
EWU is a good team, don't get me wrong, but they have a recent history of underachieving with what they have. I'd have them in the top 15 right now, but not the top 5.

Didn't they lose their head coach ?

Will that effect them ?

slostang
June 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM
I agree. That is about where I had them in my preseason poll. If Wulff was back as coach I would of had them around #5.

Blue Hen Nation
June 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM
Delaware should be in the mid teens.

93henfan
June 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Delaware should be in the mid teens.

By virtue of our schedule alone. Simply brutal road schedule this year. 7-5 would be a tremendous achievement and 8-4 would be a minor miracle.

CrazyCat
June 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM
MSU is the 3 little bears of pre-season polls. AGS had us to low. Lindy's had us to high, but SportingNews has us just right. xnodx

GOKATS
June 21st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Didn't they lose their head coach ?

Will that effect them ?

Yep, Paul Wulff left to take the HC job at Wash. St., but the new EWU coach, Beau Baldwin, was the OC at EWU under Wulff before leaving last year to take the HC job at Central Washington so he's familiar with the school and Wulffs system. Only time will tell though if the new HC effects the team or how much.

McNeese_beat
June 21st, 2008, 04:12 PM
If Beau's struggling, will Alec come and help him out?

Screamin_Eagle174
June 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Damn, very generous. Not 10 spots too high... I'd say we're between the 7 and 10 spot. Whoever put this list together must love the Big Sky... 4 teams in the preseason top 25? Rediculous.

GOKATS pretty much hit it on the head. He's a new HC, but he's by no means new, and isn't changing much other than our defensive schemes which certainly needed some tweaking. I don't think having a new coach is going to affect anything, at least not much.

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Is this "The Sporting News" or "The Sports Network"...?

Which poll and preseason squad is this? And link available? Or did you snatch this from a magazine?

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Is this "The Sporting News" or "The Sports Network"...?

Which poll and preseason squad is this? And link available? Or did you snatch this from a magazine?

This is The Sporting News.

AZGrizFan
June 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM

I don't know about 10, but I'd drop them down 4-5, and Montana down 5-6 as well...with CP above both, right now. xcoolx

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 04:44 PM
If anyone has a league they want the order of finish to, just let me know.

GOKATS
June 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
If anyone has a league they want the order of finish to, just let me know.

Big Sky Conference. I also heard they named the Preseason FCS All America Team- could you post that on another thread?

catamount man
June 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Post the SoCon predictions. I cannot wait to get the mag this week. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

JackTwice
June 21st, 2008, 05:24 PM
I would love to see the Missouri Valley order of finish.

I actually like it that SDSU isn't on the preseason poll. I prefer they be there at the end.

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Big Sky Conference. I also heard they named the Preseason FCS All America Team- could you post that on another thread?

I posted the AA team on the first post of this thread. Did you miss it?

Here is the Big Sky:

1. EWU
2. Montana
3. Montana St.
4. NAU
5. Weber St.
6. Portland St.
7. Idaho St.
8. Sacramento St.
9. Northern Colorado

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Post the SoCon predictions. I cannot wait to get the mag this week. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SOCON

1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Furman
6. GSU
7. UTC
8. WCU
9. Samford

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
I would love to see the Missouri Valley order of finish.

I actually like it that SDSU isn't on the preseason poll. I prefer they be there at the end.

They went to print before the name change so they have Gateway for it but here is the order.

1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. YSU
4. WIU
5. SIU
6. SDSU
7. Ill. St.
8. Missouri St.
9. Indiana St.

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Phil Steele's magazine is also doing a FCS preview. They went to print this past week. I should have their stuff in a couple weeks and I will post it as well.

GOKATS
June 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
I posted the AA team on the first post of this thread. Did you miss it?
Here is the Big Sky:

1. EWU
2. Montana
3. Montana St.
4. NAU
5. Weber St.
6. Portland St.
7. Idaho St.
8. Sacramento St.
9. Northern Colorado

Did you add it later? If I flat missed it i really feel dumb.

Thanks!

catamount man
June 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
SOCON

1. App State
2. Elon
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Furman
6. GSU
7. UTC
8. WCU
9. Samford

Thanks. I can understand 8th based on 2006 and 2007, but I don't see us finishing that low. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Syntax Error
June 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM
Name the person that ranked the teams for TSN.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks. I can understand 8th based on 2006 and 2007, but I don't see us finishing that low. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

If the Catamounts could pull it together and not give up big leads this year then they would be much better. I listened to a couple of games last year and couldn't believe how big of a hole they would dig themselves and then come back and make it really interesting only to drop the game.

Cleets
June 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Harvard ranked over "The Citadel" xwhistlex Can't wait to tease Citdog..!!!

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Did you add it later? If I flat missed it i really feel dumb.

Thanks!

Yes I did. I first posted the top 25 and then added the AA team.

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Name the person that ranked the teams for TSN.

One of their writers... xthumbsupx

slostang
June 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
I would be interested in all of the FCS conferences if you have the time. The one I am most interested in is the Great West if you don't.

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
I would be interested in all of the FCS conferences if you have the time. The one I am most interested in is the Great West if you don't.

GREAT WEST

1. Cal Poly
2. UND
3. USD
4. UC Davis
4. Southern Utah

SkinsWizDukes
CAA?

smallcollegefbfan
IVY LEAGUE

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Brown
4. Penn
5. Dartmouth
6. Cornell
7. Princeton
8. Columbia

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 07:01 PM
CAA

North
1. UMASS
2. UNH
3. Hofstra
4. Maine
5. Northeastern
6. Rhode Island

South
1. JMU
2. Delaware
3. Richmond
4. Villanova
5. W&M
6. Towson

SkinsWizDukes
June 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks!

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
SOUTHLAND

1. McNeese State
2. UCA
3. SHSU
4. NW State
5. Nicholls State
6. SELU
7. Texas State
8. SFA

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks!

No problem. I posted the ones that would be of most interest on AGS. If there are any other leagues you guys want specifically just ask.

JackTwice
June 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
They went to print before the name change so they have Gateway for it but here is the order.

1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. YSU
4. WIU
5. SIU
6. SDSU
7. Ill. St.
8. Missouri St.
9. Indiana St.

WOW! No love at all for the Jacks from Sporting News. Now I know why I cancelled my subscription years ago. :D

CID1990
June 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Two observations.....

1. The only GSU poster is asking why MSU is in the poll?

2. These rankings are going to be shredded about three weeks into the season.

3. Wofford might be a tad overrated. Furman is a tad underrated. If they were switched in the SOCon predictions, I would still think it's a little off, but it would be more realistic, I think.

catamount man
June 21st, 2008, 07:06 PM
If the Catamounts could pull it together and not give up big leads this year then they would be much better. I listened to a couple of games last year and couldn't believe how big of a hole they would dig themselves and then come back and make it really interesting only to drop the game.

Doug Malone, IMO, was a good OC for us last year and we put points up, but when you have NO semblance of a defense whatsoever, NO defensive scheme other than something Don Powers dug up from his good old days, was it any wonder we couldn't stop anyone? The Citadel and Wofford games being good examples. I can guarantee you with Matt Pawlowski from Grand Valley State being the new DC, you WILL see a different defense than the one the SoCon ran all over the last 2 years. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

MaximumBobcat
June 21st, 2008, 07:07 PM
SOUTHLAND

1. McNeese State
2. UCA
3. SHSU
4. NW State
5. Nicholls State
6. SELU
7. Texas State
8. SFA

Wack.

The real stuff...xrulesx xnodx xrotatehx

1. UCA
2. McNeese State
3. Texas State
4. SHSU
5. Northwestern State
6. Nicholls.
7. SELA
8. SFA

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Wack.

The real stuff...xrulesx xnodx xrotatehx

1. UCA
2. McNeese State
3. Texas State
4. SHSU
5. Northwestern State
6. Nicholls.
7. SELA
8. SFA

That is their picks not mine. :D

Eight Legger
June 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
I don't get worked up about preseason polls since they really mean nothing....BUT, having said that, I don't see how JMU gets ranked ahead of us. We beat them at their place last year and we both return about the same number of important players. They lost in the first round, we lost in the semis.

bjtheflamesfan
June 21st, 2008, 07:29 PM
Anything on the Big South in there?

CopperCat
June 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Montana State?

If you're going to smack MSU, then you should also question why NAU is in that poll.

And yes, EWU is going to be that good.

james_lawfirm
June 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
I don't get worked up about preseason polls since they really mean nothing....BUT, having said that, I don't see how JMU gets ranked ahead of us. We beat them at their place last year and we both return about the same number of important players. They lost in the first round, we lost in the semis.

I saw JMU the first week of December ('07) and then Richmond the third week of December - playing the same team (ASU), in the same place (Boone).

IMO, JMU had the better team. Not because of better players, but I think Mickey Matthews is one of the best coaches to bring his team to play in Boone (other than Coach Moore, of course). Except for two plays in that game, JMU had the better game plan - by far.

Coach Moore said, before the game I think, that the winner of the JMU/ASU game would probably win the whole thing. And, in hindsight, he was right.

Now, I have no idea what the Sporting News' rationale was in ranking JMU ahead of Richmond, but such is not an unreasonable ranking.

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
Anything on the Big South in there?

BIG SOUTH

1. Liberty
2. CCU
3. GW
4. Stony Brook
5. CSU
6. VMI

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
I saw JMU the first week of December ('07) and then Richmond the third week of December - playing the same team (ASU), in the same place (Boone).

IMO, JMU had the better team. Not because of better players, but I think Mickey Matthews is one of the best coaches to bring his team to play in Boone (other than Coach Moore, of course). Except for two plays in that game, JMU had the better game plan - by far.

Coach Moore said, before the game I think, that the winner of the JMU/ASU game would probably win the whole thing. And, in hindsight, he was right.

Now, I have no idea what the Sporting News' rationale was in ranking JMU ahead of Richmond, but such is not an unreasonable ranking.

Didn't App play JMU on Thanksgiving weekend?

terrierbob
June 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Wofford's ranking is probably the afterglow of last year. I doubt the writer studied Terrier depth charts, who graduated, etc.

bluehenbillk
June 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
Got my copy of the Sporting News yesterday which has picked up Street & Smith's FCS coverage, it's the best out there. Granted I haven't seen Phil Steele yet which is like reading the old National.

John O'Connor from the Richmond Times Dispatch did the CAA so UR fans can say their hometown guy is sandbagging if you think you're too low.

All in all little to really say that's just wrong, as usual, good stuff.

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Got my copy of the Sporting News yesterday which has picked up Street & Smith's FCS coverage, it's the best out there. Granted I haven't seen Phil Steele yet which is like reading the old National.

John O'Connor from the Richmond Times Dispatch did the CAA so UR fans can say their hometown guy is sandbagging if you think you're too low.

All in all little to really say that's just wrong, as usual, good stuff.

I agree. They basically used the S&S format.

Phil Steele will have more pages on FCS in their regional mag. They are working on extending coverage to have a mag that is solely FCS coverage. With their name, past accuracy on FBS, the fact they can have the mag in every newsstand, Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble, etc.

I expect it to really give FCS a great boost in media exposure. They have App State's preview in the national magazine to give everyone a glimpse of what they did on each team.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
If you're going to smack MSU, then you should also question why NAU is in that poll.

And yes, EWU is going to be that good.

Yes, I think NAU is a little bit high, and yes I think EWU deserves a top-5.

NDSUFREAK
June 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Or Richmond 3-5 spaces too low???

haha yeah right

NDSUFREAK
June 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
WOW! No love at all for the Jacks from Sporting News. Now I know why I cancelled my subscription years ago. :D

its not the great west anymore....xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
MEAC

1. DSU
2. NSU
3. SC STate
4. Hampton
5. Morgan St.
6. BCC
7. FAMU
8. Howard
9. NC A&T

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 09:18 PM
PATRIOT LEAGUE

1. Fordham
2. Holy Cross
3. Colgate
4. Lafayette
5. Lehigh
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM
OVC

1. EIU
2. TSU
3. JSU
4. EKU
5. Austin Peay
6. UT Martin
7. Murray St.
8. TTU
9. SEMO

JackTwice
June 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM
xoopsx xnonono2x xwhistlex xbangx

No its not, but this isn't the NCC either and SDSU has proved themselves the last few years. I didn't expect to be picked to win but I believe either 3rd or 4th is more likely.

slostang
June 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM

Weren't the Jacks 2-2 against the Bison in the GWFC? I think they won just as many conference championships as NDSU since the two schools moved up to the FCS. Got to give the Jacks their due.

TwinTownBisonFan
June 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM

c'mon... you know they was robbed.

i'm not saying they shoulda been top 10 or anything... I'm saying they are a top 25 squad.

did i miss a memo on W. Illinois? unless the team I saw last year was replaced by 20 transfers... i don't think they'll be finishing ahead of the jacks

elcid96
June 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM

Well take care of Princeton early in the season and they can beat you in return to prove this poll is way off.

smallcollegefbfan
June 21st, 2008, 09:44 PM

i'm not saying they shoulda been top 10 or anything... I'm saying they are a top 25 squad.

did i miss a memo on W. Illinois? unless the team I saw last year was replaced by 20 transfers... i don't think they'll be finishing ahead of the jacks

Even with transfers the past has shown that the first year a major group of transfers take the field they don't go very far. Just last year Hampton brought in tons of transfers and they failed to make the playoffs. Just because a player comes from the FBS doesn't guarantee success in the FCS.

GOKATS
June 21st, 2008, 09:51 PM

The mag went to print before the name change.xnodx

Houndawg
June 21st, 2008, 11:05 PM

WIU had a hell of a defense last year. I don't know how many graduated or if they have a QB, but they do get Herb Donaldson back.

ngineer
June 21st, 2008, 11:33 PM
Nice to see Brian Jackson getting some props. While viewed by some as 'undersized' (played DE last year at 6'1", 245 lbs) he has a great motor and quickness off the ball.xthumbsupx

T-Dog
June 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
With what I saw from EWU last year when they came to Boone and played at what-was 9 am their local time (noon kickoff in Boone), and based on who they got coming back, I think they deserve that spot, even with the coaching change (Staying in-house was a great move IMO). Now it's up to them to live up to it.

R.A.
June 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
Having Delaware State ranked is a nice consolation ranking for the MEAC, but I doubt Delaware State will be back. They'll have a huge target on their backs this season. There are a bunch of upset MEAC squads gunning for them, and this season, there's no Shaheer Mcbride to bail them out.

I look for Hampton and South Carolina State to retake the regins of our conference. I think SCSU's scheduling practices might bite them in the butt, again. Two FBS games and a game versus DII Benedict...

JBB
June 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I like the ranking of NDSU both in the MVFC and the national poll. Conference finish at #2 might be a little optimistic though.

After what I saw last year I agree that SDSU should be getting a little more pre season respect.

Eight Legger
June 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM

It'll be interesting to me if the Dukes live up to the hype that they've received mostly from almost winning one playoff game in the first round last year. I don't question that they have a solid team, but I think it's a little leap of faith to assume that had they won that game, they would have made the title game. It could be that they matched up better with App, but would have gotten killed by EWU or Wofford.

No one was going to come within 2 or 3 TDs of App in those last two games of the year. I think that skews the retrospective analysis of the whole thing.

That said, I'm thrilled that our program is to the point where we're a top-10 preseason team.

PantherRob82
June 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
DEFENSE
DL Mary Huygens, UNI

xlolx xlolx xlolx

PantherRob82
June 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
UNI at 3 seems high.

NDSUFREAK
June 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
xoopsx xnonono2x xwhistlex xbangx

No its not, but this isn't the NCC either and SDSU has proved themselves the last few years. I didn't expect to be picked to win but I believe either 3rd or 4th is more likely.

I wanna see SDSU start a season off great one of these years. Im saying there are more conference games now....if SDSU starts the way they have in previous years, its gonna be hard to pick up the pace near the end. I hope you prove me wrong.

JayJ79
June 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
The mag went to print before the name change.xnodx

huh?

Houndawg
June 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
UNI at 3 seems high.

Yeah, I'd have them 8-12 because of the QB graduating. What do you have to replace him with?

GOKATS
June 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
huh?

A couple weeks ago the Gateway Football Conference changed their name to the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

smallcollegefbfan
June 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Here are the TSN picks for the NEC.

1. Albany
2. CCSU
3. Monmouth
4. Duquesne
5. Robert Morris
6. Wagner
7. St. Francis
8. Sacred Heart

smallcollegefbfan
June 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
In all magazines here are the national magazines that can be found in bookstores and newsstands who cover the FCS this year (in order of release are)

1. Lindy's
2. Sporting News
3. Phil Steele- there is talk of a separate FCS magazine in the future. They would be the 2nd one like that and the first to be sold in newsstands, Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble, etc. nationwide.

Anyone know if CSN's preview magazine will be put in newsstands and those other places anytime soon?

spdram
June 22nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
I'm glad they rank Richmond lower than I expected, it gives the players more reason to work hard this off season. Besides if history follows course we have had some disappointing seasons when ranked higher than expected. Having said that with a new HC and essentially a new system and staff, who knows how we will do. In the CAA a couple of early season losses can put you out of the race before it really starts.

JackTwice
June 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I wanna see SDSU start a season off great one of these years. Im saying there are more conference games now....if SDSU starts the way they have in previous years, its gonna be hard to pick up the pace near the end. I hope you prove me wrong.

Hard to argue with that other than all of the early games have been non conference games and will be again this year.

NDSUFREAK
June 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
A couple weeks ago the Gateway Football Conference changed their name to the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

i said great west and not gateway

NDSUFREAK
June 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hard to argue with that other than all of the early games have been non conference games and will be again this year.

exactly...but what i mean with more conf games is that the competition is greater in the MVC and it will be harder to have the mentality to start over again with a tougher conference to play in after the OOC games. Personally, to be a legit squad, you gotta win the first OOC games and also compete in the later season. Do that this year and top 15 will be the preseason spot the following year IMO

EDIT: Actually, you guys have 1 OOC game in the first 4 weeks...the other 3 are of course MVC games. Last year the first 6 games were OOC and SDSU lost 4 of those games and 2 they should have won. At the end of course is where the winning started. If SDSU were to start the way they have started in previous years, thats 3 sudden losses for conference play. Not to mention the last 2 conference games are in very hostile atmospheres. So combine a bad start like previous year to the last couple games I can now see the spot in the MVC preseason. Its not smack, I'm just observing.

PantherRob82
June 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I'd have them 8-12 because of the QB graduating. What do you have to replace him with?

A guy who is bigger, stronger, faster and quicker. We'll see if he has the mental stuff.

Syntax Error
June 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
exactly...but what i mean with more conf games is that the competition is greater in the MVC...You mean MVFC. xcoffeex

BDKJMU
June 23rd, 2008, 01:40 AM

UR beat JMU by ONE point 17-16 in the regular season. Total yardage was JMU 256, UR 245. UR won the turnover battle 3-2, which was the difference in the ballgame. You don't get much more even than that.

Now the 3 biggest influencers for the postseason are from the prior season big name players back, # of starters back, and the playoffs. The 1st 2 JMU and UR are pretty close. But as far as the playoffs, UR got whipped by ASU. JMU dominated ASU in everything but what mattered, the scoreboard (and turnovers as usual for JMU last season). It doesn't matter if it was the 1st round, 2nd round, semis, or NC game. The national voters remember that. And I don't by that baloney well if JMU had played ASU a couple of weeks later they would have gotten whipped as bad as UD or UR. JMU matched up well with them.

Some of JMUs ranking high has to do with their # of starters and star players back combined with their only 3 (I-AA) losses coming by 1, 1, and 3 pts to 3 of the final four teams. But an even bigger factor is that ASU game.

Now personally, I would have ASU #1, UR #2, and JMU#3, just to prove I'm not a homer.:D

BDKJMU
June 23rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
Here is the top 25. If you guys want anything else from the mag just let me know and I will post it.

1. App State
2. JMU
3. UNI
4. EWU
5. Delaware
6. Montana
7. Richmond
8. NDSU
9. Youngstown St.
10. Cal Poly
11. UMASS
12. Elon
13. Wofford
14. McNeese St.
15. WIU
16. EIU
17. Villanova
18. Northern Arizona
19. Montana St.
20. Harvard
21. Southern Ill.
22. The Citadel
23. UNH
24. Delaware St.
25. Fordham

ALL-AMERICA TEAM

OFFENSE
QB Armanti Edwards, App State
RB Tyler Roehl, NDSU
RB Jordan Scott, Colgate
OL Matthew McCracken, Richmond
OL Joel Bell, Furman
OL Chaz Millard, Eastern Illinois
OL Eman Naghavi, McNeese St.
C Stephen Field, Cal Poly
WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon
TE Clay Harbor, Missouri St.
PK Jon Striefsky, Delaware
RS Jeremy Gilchrist, Hampton

DEFENSE
DL Gary Tharrington, App State
DL Mary Huygens, UNI
DL Jovan Belcher, Maine
DL Brian Jackson, Lehigh
LB Bobby Daly, Montana State
LB Jason Williams, WIU
LB Seth Goldwire, Wofford
DB Lardarius Webb, Nicholls St.
DB Al Donaldson, Alabama A&M
DB David Hyland, Morehead St.
DB Brandon Gathof, EKU
P Kevin Cook, EIU

TOP PLAYERS
OFFENSE- Armanti Edwards, QB, App State
DEFENSE- Bobby Daly, LB, Montana St.
NEWCOMER- Ryan Perrilloux, QB, Jax State

Can't seem to come up with the web link for the SN top 25. Anyone?

MplsBison
June 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
How the heck does a Cal Poly OL make the all american team running the scheme they do?

Yeah, great job of weighing 260 and running around diving for folk's knees when you cut block every play. I'm sure the NFL must be all over him.

OL FU
June 23rd, 2008, 06:54 AM

I tried their site. Not on there.

G.S.Green
June 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
We are sleeping on Hampton this year. The SIU game should be very good this year unlike last year.

G.S.Green

RabidRabbit
June 23rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
exactly...but what i mean with more conf games is that the competition is greater in the MVC and it will be harder to have the mentality to start over again with a tougher conference to play in after the OOC games. Personally, to be a legit squad, you gotta win the first OOC games and also compete in the later season. Do that this year and top 15 will be the preseason spot the following year IMO

EDIT: Actually, you guys have 1 OOC game in the first 4 weeks...the other 3 are of course MVC games. Last year the first 6 games were OOC and SDSU lost 4 of those games and 2 they should have won. At the end of course is where the winning started. If SDSU were to start the way they have started in previous years, thats 3 sudden losses for conference play. Not to mention the last 2 conference games are in very hostile atmospheres. So combine a bad start like previous year to the last couple games I can now see the spot in the MVC preseason. Its not smack, I'm just observing.

Yes, Jacks will need to be no worse than 2-2 at the end of their first 4 games this year. and especially critical to win those home opener games vs. Youngstown St. then WIU in Brookings. The pecking order in the MVFC, at least for the Jacks, will be pretty well set come Oct. Winning at UNI and NDSU have been tough for the Jacks, and we have a LONG history with both schools as all three were NCC mates for 40+ years. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

citdog
June 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM

WE'D BEAT HARVARD WORSE THAN SECOND MANASSAS!

NDSUFREAK
June 23rd, 2008, 08:18 AM
You mean MVFC. xcoffeex

yeah yeah, i forgot one letter. relaxxx

Houndawg
June 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
We are sleeping on Hampton this year. The SIU game should be very good this year unlike last year.

G.S.Green

I wish we could put it off for a year. SIU will be athletic, but with a big hole at QB and a new coach bringing in the spread and the 3-4. I'm not close to anyone on the team but Lennon's no dreads or hair over the collar rule smacks of high school crap. Hope the players can roll with it.

813Jag
June 23rd, 2008, 08:43 AM
No problem. I posted the ones that would be of most interest on AGS. If there are any other leagues you guys want specifically just ask.
I know I'm a little late but what is the SWAC prediction?

leatherneck177
June 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I like it, I am just not sure on that Youngstown State prediction. They do not have much coming back.

ericsaid
June 23rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
I dont see how harvard, delaware st. or fordham can be above georgia southern, or furman.

FUPaladin2010
June 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
I dont see how harvard, delaware st. or fordham can be above georgia southern, or furman.

Agreed. Not that I am biased or anything, but I think that Furman has a lot of potential this year. The team showed a lot of promise toward the end of the year last year, winning 4 of the final 5 games (including GSU and Elon).

Only thing is they have a pretty hefty schedule this year. Besides the SoCon slate (which always proves to be tough), OOC games against Va. Tech, FCS runnerup Delaware, and Colgate.

Definitely not a cakewalk by any means.

Can't wait to see what happens!

NYJMUSupporter
June 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that JMU deserves to be ranked number two. The team we have returning is absolutely loaded. They are also a year older. Last years team was one of the youngest in Mickeys tenure at JMU. The only team that beat JMU last year, other than UNC, was JMU. I know that our coaching staff spent the bulk of spring drills working on ball control. If we can hold onto the ball, I don't think that there is a team in the country that is going to be able to stop our offense. The one weakness that may prove to hurt us this year is our inexperienced line backer unit.

smallcollegefbfan
June 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM

There is no link. That is from the magazine they put out.

Fordham
June 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
I dont see how harvard, delaware st. or fordham can be above georgia southern, or furman. We were top 20 in several polls at the end of last season, top 25 in all and return pretty much everything. How do we then NOT at least deserve the #25 slot? xconfusedx

Appinator
June 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Just bought a copy myself. The front section of the issue has blurbs about all the Heisman hopefuls and Armanti has a whole page dedicated to him. Quotes from him and Coach Moore are included as well.

I doubt he'll finish even close to the top without another Michigan like performance at LSU, but the recognition is awesome for one of the best in the FCS.xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
June 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
-ASU will be preseason #1 in the Sports Network poll, the one that that most people refer to when talking about games. ASU will likely lose to LSU on 8/30, and HIGHLY likely will beat Jacksonville on 9/6, bye week 9/13, and come into their game @ JMU #1.

JMU likely starts out in the Sports Network poll at #2 or #3 and I think has about a 1/3 chance of winning @ Duke, home against NCC and home against UMass and coming into their showdown with ASU at 3-0. I think JMU has to beat Duke to be #2 coming into the ASu showdown.

Which leaves us with about a 1/3 chance we'll have a #1 vs #2 on 9/20. When was the last time that happened during the regular season? Didn't it happen once with Marshall and ASU back in the mid 90s?

smallcollegefbfan
June 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I know I'm a little late but what is the SWAC prediction?

EAST

1. Jackson St.
2. Alabama A&M
3. Alabama St.
4. MVSU
5. Alcorn St.

WEST
1. Grambling St.
2. Southern
3. PVAMU
4. UAPB
5. Texas Southern

813Jag
June 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
EAST

1. Jackson St.
2. Alabama A&M
3. Alabama St.
4. MVSU
5. Alcorn St.

WEST
1. Grambling St.
2. Southern
3. PVAMU
4. UAPB
5. Texas Southern
Thanks. xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
June 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
PATRIOT LEAGUE

1. Fordham
2. Holy Cross
3. Colgate
4. Lafayette
5. Lehigh
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

Looks about right to me xthumbsupx

....for now xsmiley_wix

smallcollegefbfan
June 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks. xthumbsupx

No problem

PaladinFan
June 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Here's a pop quiz:

When was the last time neither Furman nor Georgia Southern appeared in a preseason top-25 poll?

...I have no idea, but methinks it has been a while.

blueballs
June 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Here's a pop quiz:

When was the last time neither Furman nor Georgia Southern appeared in a preseason top-25 poll?

...I have no idea, but methinks it has been a while.

1997 would be the only year I could even fathom a guess at...

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM

G.S.Green

Doubt it. What date is the game?

Houndawg
June 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Doubt it. What date is the game?

Second week.xbawlingx I'm afraid that SIU might have an early hole to work out of because of all the changes.

Elon Fightin' Christians
June 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I can't wait for the ELON / Richmond game Aug 30.....

james_lawfirm
June 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
It'll be interesting to me if the Dukes live up to the hype that they've received mostly from almost winning one playoff game in the first round last year. I don't question that they have a solid team, but I think it's a little leap of faith to assume that had they won that game, they would have made the title game. It could be that they matched up better with App, but would have gotten killed by EWU or Wofford.

No one was going to come within 2 or 3 TDs of App in those last two games of the year. I think that skews the retrospective analysis of the whole thing.

That said, I'm thrilled that our program is to the point where we're a top-10 preseason team.

Now, come on, to say that JMU almost won one playoff game last year does not even come close to a fair statement. The way the playoffs are structured, sometimes the better games are in the first round. JMU played a great game against ASU that day. I think Richmond played a good game too two weeks later, but ASU had their number.

As to your "leap of faith" comment, I was just repeating what I had heard Coach Moore say at the time of the JMU game; e.g., that whoever won the JMU/ASU game would probably win the NC. As it turned out, it was a correct prediction.

I understood that JMU returns almost all of their starters in '08, while Richmond lost some of their best players, including Hightower. I think JMU is a legit #2, and I agree that Richmond is in the top 10 preseason.

CatFan22
June 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Montana State?

Remember this post at the end of the season.

PantherRob82
June 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Second week.xbawlingx I'm afraid that SIU might have an early hole to work out of because of all the changes.

You're playing Hampton, not LSU. ;)

Houndawg
June 23rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
You're playing Hampton, not LSU. ;)

New coach, new offense, new defense, ? at QB.

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
1997 would be the only year I could even fathom a guess at...

I was going to guess sometime in the early-mid 90s. I would wager that since your team reformed in the early 80s that it's only happened once, maybe twice.

ysubigred
June 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
YSU @ #9 xconfusedx

Maybe 19 or 29 xeyebrowx Unless we get some big time xfers for some key positions I don't see #9 xnonono2x

Of course they are the experts and I'm just a dumb azz fan :D

RabidRabbit
June 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
YSU @ #9 xconfusedx

Maybe 19 or 29 xeyebrowx Unless we get some big time xfers for some key positions I don't see #9 xnonono2x

Of course they are the experts and I'm just a dumb azz fan :D

HUGE Matchup 9/6 for both the 'guins and Jacks. Winner moves up, loser could fall out. Both open with BCS opponents, tho I prefer the odds of a Jacks win vs BCS than 'Guins win vs their BCS opponent xeekx xeekx

But, as App St. demonstrated last year......

PantherRob82
June 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
New coach, new offense, new defense, ? at QB.

Good new coach, still the Salukis, still playing Hampton.

bisonguy
June 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I think NDSU is in about the right spot in this poll at #8. Definitely not a top 5 team yet, as in some polls.

EWashEagle
June 24th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Man , you guys have no faith in Eastern Washington. They were on a roll the tail in of the season, dropping 52 points on NAU, 38 on Weber, 44 on McNeese, and although in a losing cause, 35 on Appalachian St! New coach who is familiar with the system and a returning stud QB.

smallcollegefbfan
June 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Man , you guys have no faith in Eastern Washington. They were on a roll the tail in of the season, dropping 52 points on NAU, 38 on Weber, 44 on McNeese, and although in a losing cause, 35 on Appalachian St! New coach who is familiar with the system and a returning stud QB.

EWU has given me no reason to think they are not a top 3-7 team. Baldwin is an excellent coach who should do very well at EWU. He will probably run most of what they did last year as it proved to be effective late in the year.

ysubigred
June 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
HUGE Matchup 9/6 for both the 'guins and Jacks. Winner moves up, loser could fall out. Both open with BCS opponents, tho I prefer the odds of a Jacks win vs BCS than 'Guins win vs their BCS opponent xeekx xeekx

But, as App St. demonstrated last year......

I'd love to come North West and check you all out in SD but with Gas $$ and all this maybe my first year since I left Germany I don't get to see the Guins live on the road or at home xbawlingx I'm about 90% sure YSU's not as strong as last year and tO$U is even better than last year and the out come for the Guins was not to stellar with last years team :(

Houndawg
June 25th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Good new coach, still the Salukis, still playing Hampton.

We'll be athletic, but even with a good new coach (and stuff like the haircut/ no dreads rule makes me nervous about the guy), a new system is going to cause some blown plays and missed asignments early. I'm worried about looking past Hampton to N'western and UNI

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM

I agree with you, but dropping 30+ on App last year wasn't unheard of. It's their offense no one can stop, their defense is pretty average.

PantherRob82
June 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM
We'll be athletic, but even with a good new coach (and stuff like the haircut/ no dreads rule makes me nervous about the guy), a new system is going to cause some blown plays and missed asignments early. I'm worried about looking past Hampton to N'western and UNI

You'll beat all 3 teams.