PDA

View Full Version : Umass to move game this weekend, maybe.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 07:51 AM
From what I've been told Umass officials are having a meeting today at 11:00am to determine how bad the playing field is. If the field can not be played on the game will be moved to Springfield College where they have astro turf. I'll keep you posted.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I thought Linda and another guy from the A10 are coming up tonight to peek under the tarp and give their blessings? On a similar note, I saw they are calling for 2-4 inches of rain over the next 48 hours in most of New England - regardless of where it's played weather will be a factor.

Eaglegus2
October 14th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I thought Linda and another guy from the A10 are coming up tonight to peek under the tarp and give their blessings? On a similar note, I saw they are calling for 2-4 inches of rain over the next 48 hours in most of New England - regardless of where it's played weather will be a factor.

When is it supposed to stop rainning in New England? The destruction is awful. Another diaster from Mother Nature.

ngineer
October 14th, 2005, 08:02 AM

A recent glance at the radar map shows that ol' "L" low system that's been stalled off the coast of New Jersey, starting to move north and east. Could be another wet weekend up there. Luckily, for us the sun is supposed to make an appearance tomorrow, although the field will be pretty soggy and torn up. (I don't think we've ever laid out the money for a huge tarp to cover the field).

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I thought Linda and another guy from the A10 are coming up tonight to peek under the tarp and give their blessings?

They should put Linda under the tarp and keep her there. :D

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 09:17 AM
A10 to inspect field at McGuirk (http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/112924320035120.xml&coll=1)

colgate13
October 14th, 2005, 09:42 AM
I know it's not reality or intended, but all these JMU comments about "not a great playing surface" are starting to make them look bad IMO.

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I know it's not reality or intended, but all these JMU comments about "not a great playing surface" are starting to make them look bad IMO.
They play on turf... why wouldnt they want the game moved to turf... We play on grass... why wouldnt we want to keep the game on grass... exp with it being our homecoming and whatnot. One hour till decision time... All I know is if they move the game... there will be holy hell... they would move the game just 24 hours before kickoff... who does that?

Hansel
October 14th, 2005, 09:46 AM
It would be a nice bit of irony if UMass were to win and JMU fans were to blame the loss on the field conditions later.

DB_Atlantic10
October 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM

What JMU comments are you referring to? I've only seen one note where coach Matthews made a comment about the field in General with or w/o rain. Even a few UMass fans have said it sits in a swamp....

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 10:11 AM
It would be a nice bit of irony if UMass were to win and JMU fans were to blame the loss on the field conditions later.

When JMU does loose I want to hear their reasons... UMass fans sure as hell wont use that as a reason seems we all want the game played there.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Even a few UMass fans have said it sits in a swamp....

The field does sit on a swamp, so what. The field we be ready to play on. JMU doesn't want to play on a wet field, well, HELLO JMU, this is football once in a while you might have to get your toes wet. Should the Broncos cancel there games in Denver when it snows because the field might get wet? Maybe I-AA should have a new policy that we can only play football when it's 80 degrees and dry. WTF :rolleyes:

GannonFan
October 14th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Every post from a UMass person extolling the virtues of playing in bad weather/bad field/etc just gets funnier and funnier everytime. Apparently Whipple was the difference - with him they didn't like bad fields, without him they're now mudders. Classic.

JMU2004
October 14th, 2005, 10:53 AM
are UMass fans still using the weather excuse for the Colgate game in 2003??
guess they really can't use it anymore since Colgate beat them again this year

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Every post from a UMass person extolling the virtues of playing in bad weather/bad field/etc just gets funnier and funnier everytime. Apparently Whipple was the difference - with him they didn't like bad fields, without him they're now mudders. Classic.

We played a different style of ball with him that wont work under bad conditions... now with Brown we play bad condition football every week.

tribe_pride
October 14th, 2005, 10:57 AM
UMassfan - if Umass loses, they can't use that as an excuse. It's their field and are trying to keep it home for homecoming. Can't blame UMass for that but then you can't use is it as an excuse afterwards.

Saint - Your AD even agrees that he would have the field checked if he were in the away team's shoes. That tells you that it's a little more than a little wet weather. I think JMU proved they can play in wet weather against the Tribe last year :( and in bad field conditions in the Championship game.

From the DNRonline article:
UMass athletic director John McCutcheon said he doesn’t blame JMU for wanting a third party to make the call.

"I think you want someone with a little more neutral pair of eyes," McCutcheon said. "If I were on JMU’s side, I’d do the same thing."

blur2005
October 14th, 2005, 11:02 AM
When JMU does loose I want to hear their reasons... UMass fans sure as hell wont use that as a reason seems we all want the game played there.
I've had enough. When we smack you, it will be a glorious day, no matter what surface the game is played on.

GannonFan
October 14th, 2005, 11:02 AM
We played a different style of ball with him that wont work under bad conditions... now with Brown we play bad condition football every week.

Wait, what happened in the championship game in '98 then? Bad conditions then, Whipple on the sideline, UMass wins. Bad conditions in '03, Whipple on the sideline, UMass loses and then whines (to this day actually). And how has the offense changed? Granted I've only seen a handful of games with Brown at the helm, but I've seen enough to know it's not night and day compared to what Whipple ran. It's not like Whipple was running the Run and Shoot and Brown's running the single wing.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM
are UMass fans still using the weather excuse for the Colgate game in 2003??

Nope, just guys like you keep bringing it up. :rolleyes:

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I've had enough. When we smack you, it will be a glorious day, no matter what surface the game is played on.

I hope you do smack us, this way you'll stop crying about the grass being wet. :rolleyes:

JMUfan2008
October 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I hope you do smack us, this way you'll stop crying about the grass being wet. :rolleyes:

Can someone please give me a quote of where we were crying? Please.

Wild McGuirk
October 14th, 2005, 12:00 PM
JMUfan - I don't know where they are either. But I don't remember too many UMass fans crying about the Colgate game either and we're still hearing about that two years later. I guess accussing people of crying, whining, etc. is just a big part of this website.
All this bitching is really pissing me off. Both sides just want what's best for their team, and if saying it equates to crying around here, then I guess that's your answer.
Turning this into a pissing match between the fans before any changes have even been made is ridiculous, but I guess that is what discussion boards are for.

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
And how has the offense changed?

Whipple was throw first, Brown run first. I personally never blamed the weather at Colgate, it was Whipples fault he thought they could still throw the ball downfield, even when it was almost impossible to run. Gate threw short quick passes while UMass went for long plays that were difficult to complete. What is with UD and Colgate fans constantly bringing it up, get over it.

And please, there was nothing wrong with the field in '98. GSU wasn't strong enough to hold onto the ball and got it ripped out of their hands, most of the turnovers were from UMass FORCING them, not GSU dropping the ball. Kole Ayi and Khari Samuel being stronger then the GSU players has nothing to do with the weather.

colgate13
October 14th, 2005, 12:22 PM
UMass/Colgate 2003 should be buried, but both of you (Wild McGuirk and Maroon & White) look to have joined AGS this past year. If you were on the old AGS board in December of 2003, there was PLENTY of UMass field condition complaining and excuse making going on. Not by every UMass fan, but it was a vocal exchange. The way the tables are turned in this one is very funny to the AGS 'veterans'.

Personally, it's water under the bridge for me. 2003 is just a magical season I like to remember. If you'd like to talk UMass/Colgate, we can talk about 2005's Colgate win!

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2005, 01:05 PM
UMass/Colgate 2003 should be buried, but both of you (Wild McGuirk and Maroon & White) look to have joined AGS this past year. If you were on the old AGS board in December of 2003, there was PLENTY of UMass field condition complaining and excuse making going on. Not by every UMass fan, but it was a vocal exchange. The way the tables are turned in this one is very funny to the AGS 'veterans'.

Personally, it's water under the bridge for me. 2003 is just a magical season I like to remember. If you'd like to talk UMass/Colgate, we can talk about 2005's Colgate win!

I was a member, or at least viewing back then. Trust me, I know about the UMass fans complaining about the conditions, wasn't me doing it though. UMass wasn't complaining before that game about their being snow (as I remember it), just that they didn't get a home game. The snow was just an added bonus on gameday. My excuse for UMass not winning...Colgate outscoring them :)

JMU is bitching about the field condition before they've even seen the field. If JMU loses bitch all you want about the field conditions, but both teams were playing in them. Complaining about a field they haven't even seen and trying to get the game moved to a turf field to help their speed is ridiculous to me.

JMU Duke Dog
October 14th, 2005, 01:08 PM
JMU is bitching about the field condition before they've even seen the field. If JMU loses bitch all you want about the field conditions, but both teams were playing in them. Complaining about a field they haven't even seen and trying to get the game moved to a turf field to help their speed is ridiculous to me.

:nono:

I guarantee that not a single person with JMU would blame a loss at UMass on the field conditions.

Are all UMass fans idiots now? I use to have respect for some of you guys.

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 01:11 PM

I guarantee that not a single person with JMU would blame a loss at UMass on the field conditions.

Nah JMU just wins cry baby of the year... big fall from NC to cry baby champ in just one season.

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Good, I'm glad they wouldn't blame a loss to the field conditions, neither would I. Please don't lump me into a group of people who complain about field conditions and imply I'm an idiot.

JMU2004
October 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Jeez.....do they teach "acting like trash 101" at UMass..... you people get under EVERYBODY''s skin

JMU Duke Dog
October 14th, 2005, 02:00 PM
JMUfan - I don't know where they are either. But I don't remember too many UMass fans crying about the Colgate game either and we're still hearing about that two years later. I guess accussing people of crying, whining, etc. is just a big part of this website.
All this bitching is really pissing me off. Both sides just want what's best for their team, and if saying it equates to crying around here, then I guess that's your answer.
Turning this into a pissing match between the fans before any changes have even been made is ridiculous, but I guess that is what discussion boards are for.

You are the most intelligent UMass fan of all obviously. I wish more of your peers were like you Wild McGuirk. :nod:

Good luck to your team tomorrow. It should be an excellent game.

JMU Duke Dog
October 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM
The field does sit on a swamp, so what. The field we be ready to play on. JMU doesn't want to play on a wet field, well, HELLO JMU, this is football once in a while you might have to get your toes wet. Should the Broncos cancel there games in Denver when it snows because the field might get wet? Maybe I-AA should have a new policy that we can only play football when it's 80 degrees and dry. WTF :rolleyes:

Do you not remember last year's national semifinal in Williamsburg between JMU and W&M? Obviously not due to your team not even making the playoffs in 2004.
http://www.jmu.edu/photography/athletics/Football/team/NCAAd1aaSemis04/la17297Q04n099.jpghttp://www.jmu.edu/photography/athletics/Football/team/NCAAd1aaSemis04/la17297Q02n093.jpghttp://www.jmu.edu/photography/athletics/Football/team/NCAAd1aaSemis04/la17297Q02n085.jpg

umassfan
October 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Is it the 1980s again because JMU thinks they have a shot at winning tomorrow!

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM
This is a little ridiculous. Just let the game be played. It should be a good game between two very good defenses. Should be a low scoring game but who knows, I wouldn't expect the UMass offense to put much up though.

I heard Coach Brown talking about how big the JMU DL is, and also some JMU person saying they aren't as deep as last year? Is this true anyone?

UMass is a very deep team on defense. They will probably play around 9 DL, 6 or 7 LB and 7 DBs. The fact they have so many players who can play a good deal will obviously help them stay fresh. The defense isn't big, but certainly fast all around. The DL seems especially fast for who they are.

On offense UMass has been doing better since the first two weeks now that Liam Coen is at QB. The offense line is missing two of their best in Colin Stoetzel and OJ McBride, but Syracuse transfer Caldwell and RFr. Calicchio have filled in pretty well. Last week UMass' best WR went down with an ankle injury and will be out the entire season (might be able to come back if they make the playoffs). The RB spot is being split between Baylark and Cobbs, who has moved back to his freshman year position.

Cuko has been struggling with the kicking game this year. I'm not sure who is the backup kicker, but he might get to see some action some time this year. Koegel is a great punter and has continued to show it this year.

Let's hear about JMU. (trying to get some actual football talk going :) )

Maroon&White
October 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM
UMass-James Madison Game Will Remain in Amherst
Atlantic 10 Conference Media Relations, Steven Haug
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=73258

Few hours late ;)

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Do you not remember last year's national semifinal in Williamsburg between JMU and W&M?

No I don't remember last years game, why, should I? :confused:

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
This is a little ridiculous. Just let the game be played.

No kidding, who cares about the field just play. :)

Sam Adams
October 14th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Jeez.....do they teach "acting like trash 101" at UMass..... you people get under EVERYBODY''s skin

I have great respect for JMU fans and the team. Don't let a message board gab fest get in the way of what I hope will be a good game.

saint0917
October 14th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Be careful, you'll get kicked off for personal attacks. :nonono2: :nonono2: :nono: :nono: