PDA

View Full Version : What the Houston Chronicle thinks of EWU...

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Keep in mind: EWU, first-round destruction of McNeese State last year, many key players returning next year.

http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=ayleein&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3AayleeinPost%3A5afef557-e0f3-4068-94bf-e4088b2291e6

The last three games against FBS teams, they have scored 17 against Oregon State (2006), 3 against West Virginia (2006), and 7 against BYU (2007). I have a hard time envisioning this game being close past the third offensive series for the Red Raiders.

Prediction: Texas Tech 63, Eastern Washington 13.

The starters will leave their helmets in the locker room after halftime, but Ruffin McNeill will make sure the defense doesn't get lazy late in the game.

EWU, the bulletin board material starts.... now.

813Jag
June 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Keep in mind: EWU, first-round destruction of McNeese State last year, many key players returning next year.

http://www.chron.com/commons/persona.html?newspaperUserId=ayleein&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3AayleeinPost%3A5afef557-e0f3-4068-94bf-e4088b2291e6

I'm sure they'll score more than 13, but truthfully anybody who knows anything about Texas Tech knows they'll put poits on the board.

TheValleyRaider
June 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah, pretty much my only problem with this is that he doesn't think EWU will score more than 13

Tech does not have what one would actually describe as a "defense", except maybe in the Arena league

Grizzaholic
June 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I think it will be a little closer than 50.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Although I truly feel the Houston Chronicle is a piece of crap for true journalism; they could be on to something here.

Yes, Lance Berkman's dad (Mike Leach) LOVES to put up points early and often... just ask Texas A&M. xlolx

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_204020.jpg http://www.redraiders.com/b.coaches/football/images/c_07_184_Leach.jpg

Umass74
June 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
A Sporting News columnist calls Texas Tech-UMass one of the "Bottom five games for the Big Twelve (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=425162)".

patssle
June 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Texas Tech will hang 60 on you, if not that then 80. You can't stop their offense, and they won't stop it when they are already at 40 or 50 points.

graysky
June 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Keep in mind that McNeese had 3 key starters injured on defense and 4 on offense for the EWU Game. One of those 7 was drafted in the second round by the Philadelphia Eagles and 2 of the 7 signed free agent contracts. A loss is a loss, but McNeese was the most banged up team in the FCS come playoff time. I agree...........Texas Tech will win that one, but maybe not by that lopsided of a margin.

Blazerbird
June 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I love Eagle football as much as anyone, but I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of our team. Actually, I prefer that we're dismissed as long shots in the little media attention we receive. Lastly, I agree that McNeese was banged up in their playoff loss at home last season. At full strength, they would have only lost by three touchdowns. Now everybody back to talking about Montana making the playoffs.

catamount man
June 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I'm sure they'll score more than 13, but truthfully anybody who knows anything about Texas Tech knows they'll put poits on the board.

Only because Mike Leach is a f***snard who loves to run the score up on his opponents. I hope EWU pulls the upset and THEN SOME!!!

Go...gate
June 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
The Houston guys may have a long memory. I recall when a good Cougar club led by Andre Ware ran it up on EWU in 1989 at the Astrodome. AIR, Houston reached 80 or 90 points and the national media blistered its coaching staff.

already123
June 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
TTU blasts eastern....doesnt matter because EWU will hold their own in BSC play.

catamount man
June 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
The Houston guys may have a long memory. I recall when a good Cougar club led by Andre Ware ran it up on EWU in 1989 at the Astrodome. AIR, Houston reached 80 or 90 points and the national media blistered its coaching staff.

November 17, 1990

Houston 84
EWU 21

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

MaximumBobcat
June 21st, 2008, 07:10 PM
EWU is going to get wrecked...believe it. TTU is very good this year.

EWU fans, just don't watch, it will make you hate anybody you see wearing a TT hat for the rest of your life. Mike Leach can be that big of an ass.

Here's to hoping they don't break the century mark...

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM
FYI...

This is not the Houston Chronicle and is in fact a blogger on the Houston Chronicle web site -- aka a fan.

The Chronicle is ahead of the curve when it comes to blogging and lets a select group of fans of programs, some of whom were active responders to blogs by Chronicle writers/columnists, have blogs on their site.

JohnStOnge
June 21st, 2008, 11:16 PM
Believe me, I realize there's a big risk of any FCS team being blown out by Texas Tech. But by my records, the Red Raiders have only played one game against a team that went on to make the I-AA/FCS playoffs. It was in 1988. And they lost to then-I-AA North Texas 24-29.

Yes, I realize that has nothing to do with today. But unless I missed one the fact remains that the I-AA/FCS teams Texas Tech has blown out by big scores have not been top of the heap I-AA/FCS teams.

Here are the I-AA/FCS teams Texas Tech has played since I-AA playoff participant North Texas beat them in 1988:

2007 Northwestern State 4-7
2006 Southeastern Louisiana 2-9
2005 Sam Houston State 3-7
2005 Indiana State 0-11
2001 Stephen F. Austin 6-5

IF Eastern Washington is at least as good as the Eagles were in 2007, they will be the best I-AA/FCS team, I think by far, that Texas Tech has played since it lost to North Texas in 1988.

And UMass, if as good as 2007, is also going to be in that category. Texas Tech is real good at running up scores when it gets on people; no doubt. At the same time, I don't think the Raiders were necessarily a better football team last year than Boston College was.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 22nd, 2008, 01:10 AM
I'll put $100 out there that the Red Raiders won't put up more than 60 on us. John, I appreciate you putting up those stats.

That blogger is obviously one hell of a homer if he thinks we're not going to put up more than 1 TD with the garbage defense they play. Sure, we'll most likely lose, probably by more than 2 TDs, but Nichols will give them hell. With the way he played in the in Spring Red-White game, he's going to be better than he was last year.

TT 55, EWU 28

Cleets
June 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Texas Tech will hang 60 on you, if not that then 80. You can't stop their offense, and they won't stop it when they are already at 40 or 50 points.

Isn't this the same Texas Tech. that got spoon fed their own ***** back to them last year by Missouri...
Then proceeded to lose to lowly Colorado at home..!!!!

xeyebrowx

The very same Colorado who lost to Montana State...

If I'm Texas Tech I'd be taking this game seriously (very seriously)

Tribe4SF
June 22nd, 2008, 06:41 AM
A Sporting News columnist calls Texas Tech-UMass one of the "Bottom five games for the Big Twelve (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=425162)".

Interesting that he ranks the UMass game, and SDSU@Iowa State, but fails to include Tennessee-Chattanooga@Oklahoma in the bottom five.xrolleyesx

JohnStOnge
June 22nd, 2008, 07:08 AM
It's the same old intellectually lazy approach of assuming FCS automatically means "worse" than FBS in every case. Including SDSU at Iowa State in the list is particularly questionable. You have a Big 12 team that was beaten by a good FCS team last season and SDSU should be another good FCS team.

catamount man
June 22nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
South Dakota State will beat Iowa State. BET ON IT!!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Isn't this the same Texas Tech. that got spoon fed their own ***** back to them last year by Missouri...
Then proceeded to lose to lowly Colorado at home..!!!!

xeyebrowx

The very same Colorado who lost to Montana State...

If I'm Texas Tech I'd be taking this game seriously (very seriously)

With blogs like this one, it certainly doesn't seem like it... xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Texas Tech is actually picked by quite a few to win the Big 12 South this year. We'll see if it happens. They could very well be a BCS team at the end of the season if that explosive offense is kept up with by the defense...

Casey_Orourke
June 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM

Sporting News says the same about WSU-Portland State, NAU-ASU.
Bottom five games for the Pac-10 (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=425919)

Syntax Error
June 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
All you have to do is look at their FCS coverage in the TSN mag to know what kind of knowledge they have. That should be LACK of knowledge.

smallcollegefbfan
June 22nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
All you have to do is look at their FCS coverage in the TSN mag to know what kind of knowledge they have. That should be LACK of knowledge.

They just plain don't care and that would probably be the reason they don't know what they are talking.

Of course, there are people who think they know it all about a subject and they just plain don't. If anything thinks they know everything about football or any division of football they are lying to themselves. We are all constantly learning. If we weren't then there would be no reason to read message boards, articles, press releases, etc.