PDA

View Full Version : UD's Keeler... gets 10 yr extension

ChickenMan
June 19th, 2008, 11:28 AM
NEWARK, Del. -- University of Delaware football head coach K.C. Keeler, who in just six seasons at the helm has led the Blue Hens to national prominence with an NCAA title in 2003 and a national runner-up finish this past fall, has been granted a 10-year contract extension, UD Director of Athletics Edgar Johnson announced Thursday.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb08-keelersign.html

bluehenbillk
June 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Obviously they showed KC the money. There have definitely been some high points in KC's tenure, great job locking him up.

Dane96
June 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Not to be an ass, but what is the point of a 10-year extension at this level. Keeler, if he continues at this pace, will be moving on. I think we can all agree to that.

Why not just renegotiate a higher front-end deal...and a nice buyout.

Appinator
June 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
NEWARK, Del. -- University of Delaware football head coach K.C. Keeler, who in just six seasons at the helm has led the Blue Hens to national prominence with an NCAA title in 2003 and a national runner-up finish this past fall, has been granted a 10-year contract extension, UD Director of Athletics Edgar Johnson announced Thursday.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football/fb08-keelersign.html

Wow, congrats to UD. Keeler displayed a lot of class and provided a ton of excitement for the UD program this year. I hope he stay's in place.

93henfan
June 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Not to be an ass, but what is the point of a 10-year extension at this level. Keeler, if he continues at this pace, will be moving on. I think we can all agree to that.

I believe they said the same thing about Tubby Raymond while he was accumulating 300 wins at Delaware.xwhistlex

You are correct though, that money talks. The guy was pursued by Michigan last year and that's not a job you turn down if they come knocking again. He's on the record as saying that it would have to be a dream job to leave Delaware. I selfishly hope that's still many years down the road.

bluehenbillk
June 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
They gave him the length of the deal I'm sure because of the raise they had to give him I'm sure.

JMU DUUUKES
June 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
You guys are really lucky to have a young great coach like that. I wouldn't trade ours for the world but to have an alum as a coach is just awesome, congrats

Jerbearasu
June 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Typically I would agree with you but I am pretty sure Keeler is a UD grad. (UD fans please confirm this bc I'm not 100%). In cases where it is your alma mater sometimes moving on to a bigger school is not always what is important to you.

Congrats go out to Delaware. You guys have yourself a great, young coach that will undoubtably keep you in the title hunt every year.

93henfan
June 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Typically I would agree with you but I am pretty sure Keeler is a UD grad. (UD fans please confirm this bc I'm not 100%).

You are correct. He has a Delaware national championship ring as a player and a coach.

Rob Iola
June 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
You guys are really lucky to have a young great coach like that. I wouldn't trade ours for the world but to have an alum as a coach is just awesome, congrats
About that FG decision of his last December...

Kept both you and me (no tix) from Chatty...

Rob Iola
June 19th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I believe they said the same thing about Tubby Raymond while he was accumulating 300 wins at Delaware.xwhistlex

You are correct though, that money talks. The guy was pursued by Michigan last year and that's not a job you turn down if they come knocking again. He's on the record as saying that it would have to be a dream job to leave Delaware. I selfishly hope that's still many years down the road.
He's a pretty up-front kinda guy, and has said that he luvs it in Newark. That said, if PSU comes a-callin' when JoPa moves on (likely in a pine box) he's not lettin' that go to voicemail...

Dane96
June 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
And that, IMHO, is exactly where Keeler will end up.

Hey...if he pulls a Ford and stays at UD that is amazing....but I would have to think Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Michigan, and any MAJOR SEC school would be on his list.

Dane96
June 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
All that said, BTW, great move locking him up...just was questioning the length.

ChickenMan
June 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I think it would take an offer from a well established BCS power to get KC interested and those type jobs are pretty hard to come by. I seriously doubt that any offer from a mid level FBS program would be attractive enough to get Keeler out of Newark.

danefan
June 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I think it would take an offer from a well established BCS power to get KC interested and those type jobs are pretty hard to come by. I seriously doubt that any offer from a mid level FBS program would be attractive enough to get Keeler out of Newark.

How about an offer from a mid-level FBS team coupled with 2 loses to Albany in 3 years? xnodx xrolleyesx

Hoyadestroya85
June 19th, 2008, 01:56 PM
He's no Andy Talley.. but you guys did a good job of locking that guy up for a while...

appfan2008
June 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
you all can speculate about his future but i just want to say congrats to keeler... it must feel good to have that kind of job security

Go...gate
June 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
He deserves a great deal like this one. I have respected his work since his days at Glassboro State/Rowan in NJ. Congratulations to Coach Keeler!

Rob Iola
June 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
He's no Andy Talley.. but you guys did a good job of locking that guy up for a while...
You're absolutely right - he's no Andy Talley - Keeler keeps 'em playing well into December when Talley rightly picks the proper athletic/academic balance by having his boys focus on their studying after Thanksgiving...

Smack aside, it was classy on Talley's part letting KC use his video equipment during the playoffs...

Hoyadestroya85
June 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Talley is a good guy.. KC was getting screwed by those gateway people.. I'm glad the hens kicked some tail in the midwest. I'm gonna try to get tickets and go down to Newark this season to see what should be another barnburner.

ChickenMan
June 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM

You sure are right about that.. KC won more playoff games in just his 2d season with UD (4) than Andy Talley has won (3) in 22 yrs at Villanova... :p

ngineer
June 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Obviously they showed KC the money. There have definitely been some high points in KC's tenure, great job locking him up.

Sorry to say, but in this day and age no one is 'locked in'...If the right FBS comes a-calling, KC will be hauling and the new suitor will buy our Yu Dee.;)

GannonFan
June 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
If Keeler does leave, he's going to go somewhere like Penn St or Michigan - serious, top notch FBS schools that pay accordingly. I don't think he'd bite on a Maryland or Rutgers. And while I think KC's done a fabulous job at UD so far, I don't see schools of that high caliber taking a gamble on KC just yet. Ohio St obviously went after Tressel, but he had a few more rings than KC does. He may go in time, but he's not going yet.

ngineer
June 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
You sure are right about that.. KC won more playoff games in just his 2d season with UD (4) than Andy Talley has won (3) in 22 yrs at Villanova... :p

..You could say Andy hasn't 'tallied' much in playoff wins?xrolleyesx

bluehenbillk
June 20th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Talley has produced for the level of expected success at a program like Villanova that doesn't even take football seriously. It's a whole different game at a place like Delaware.

89Hen
June 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM
He deserves a great deal like this one. I have respected his work since his days at Glassboro State/Rowan in NJ. Congratulations to Coach Keeler!
His post-season record at Rowan and UD combined... 29-9. xbowx

93henfan
June 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Lots of good nuggets in this News Journal piece today. Summary - K.C. is very happy about what's going on at Delaware and wants to leave his legacy in terms of wins and facilities, but I-A is the ultimate goal some day:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080620/SPORTS07/806200334/0/SPORTS09

Hoyadestroya85
June 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Talley has produced for the level of expected success at a program like Villanova that doesn't even take football seriously. It's a whole different game at a place like Delaware.

absolutely correct.. i'm the only student i know who gives a hoot about the football team, i envy UD sometimes

bluehenbillk
June 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
absolutely correct.. i'm the only student i know who gives a hoot about the football team, i envy UD sometimes

Hey if Villanova had 10% of the students that show up for a hoops game at the Pavillion or Wachovia Center show up for football you'd be making progress.

Ivytalk
June 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Here's to KC!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Delaware's Ray-Ban Man!

Go...gate
June 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hard to put a price on happiness, guys. If you are happy and fulfilled teaching and coaching young men and winning your share of games while living in a nice community and you can watch your kids grow up, and you make decent money with some long-term security, why not?

Henny
June 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM
KC is a little unique in the coaching ranks these days. He loves his school, has repeatedly said he is home and his wife and family remind him when he was at Rowan that UD, he said, was his dream job.

Ive talked to a number of his assistants who are no longer here and left when they realized KC really means he wants to stay.

You are starting to see more of this these days at the FCS level. Mickey Matthews for example decided to stay at JMU where he has built a winner. Andy Talley had chances to leave 'nova and stayed.

The successful programs in the FCS is not a bad place to be and people like KC realize that.

Lulu
June 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Yum!!!! I love K.C. Keeler! xsmoochx He's hot! :p xthumbsupx