PDA

View Full Version : Alabama St, Southern in Gulf Coast Classic Through 2011

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM
What years does this fill an out of conference spot for Alabama St and Southern? SWAC is just not interested in having a real out of conference, but we knew that things wouldn't improve too much for some of the SWAC schools even with the end of the mandate.

I can see giving up a home game as being okay for Southern if they are getting paid...
------------------------
http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/index.ssf?/base/sports/1213780554190380.xml&coll=3

Alabama State, Southern to square off at Ladd-Peebles Stadium annually through 2011

Wednesday, June 18, 2008
By CASSANDRA M. TAYLOR
Sports Reporter

Officials at Alabama State and Southern University announced Tuesday that they will move their annual game to Ladd-Peebles Stadium for the Gulf Coast Classic through 2011.

This year, the 35th annual classic is scheduled for Nov. 15.

"For the past several years, it has been our intent to bring the game full circle into a true classic — a contest between common opponents on a common date on an annual basis," said Mobile Mayor Sam Jones. "We're finally there, and the city of Mobile is extremely excited to have two teams both under 200 miles from here with strong alumni and fan bases. There's no doubt this is absolutely the right path for this game."

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
What years does this fill an out of conference spot for Alabama St and Southern? SWAC is just not interested in having a real out of conference, but we knew that things wouldn't improve too much for some of the SWAC schools even with the end of the mandate.

I can see giving up a home game as being okay for Southern if they are getting paid...
SO schools are SUppose to not play traditional rivals just to please you, even though thats the games fans are interested in seeing. Give me a break. The SU fans I talked to are really upset about giving up a home game, but from what I understand the payout is really nice.

813Jag
June 19th, 2008, 07:04 AM

------------------------
http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/index.ssf?/base/sports/1213780554190380.xml&coll=3

Alabama State, Southern to square off at Ladd-Peebles Stadium annually through 2011

Wednesday, June 18, 2008
By CASSANDRA M. TAYLOR
Sports Reporter

Officials at Alabama State and Southern University announced Tuesday that they will move their annual game to Ladd-Peebles Stadium for the Gulf Coast Classic through 2011.

This year, the 35th annual classic is scheduled for Nov. 15.

"For the past several years, it has been our intent to bring the game full circle into a true classic — a contest between common opponents on a common date on an annual basis," said Mobile Mayor Sam Jones. "We're finally there, and the city of Mobile is extremely excited to have two teams both under 200 miles from here with strong alumni and fan bases. There's no doubt this is absolutely the right path for this game."
At most it will be one year, it's a conference game this year and that's what matters. The city of Mobile wanted this matchup and the Jags will be compensated properly. Southern will get a payout this year as well as the two years Alabama State is host.

One game ruins OOC? 09 already has at least two OOC slots filled for Southern. McNeese on on schedule for '10 along with FAMU.

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
It just amuses me that the SWAC schools are going to continue to play each other out of conference at a pretty high rate. We'll see more OOC matchups than we saw with the nine-game mandate, but there will be a few schools that have two, if not three OOC games against SWAC "rivals" yearly.

SWAC is all about $$$.

mikebigg
June 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
We are not all about $$$ but bills have to be paid and games that are money makers are attractive. If I was the AD and was guaranteed a $200K plus payout for the next 4 years, I'd have to sign on the dotted line as well.

If/when some promoter is interested in paying these kinds of dollars for a neutral site game involving the SWAC and other FCS conferences, you will see more of those type matchups. Let someone offer Grambling similar dollars to play Northwestern in Shreveport for the next 4 years at $225K per game and watch it happen...quick and in a hurry!

3rd Coast Tiger
June 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
We are not all about $$$ but bills have to be paid and games that are money makers are attractive. If I was the AD and was guaranteed a $200K plus payout for the next 4 years, I'd have to sign on the dotted line as well.

If/when some promoter is interested in paying these kinds of dollars for a neutral site game involving the SWAC and other FCS conferences, you will see more of those type matchups. Let someone offer Grambling similar dollars to play Northwestern in Shreveport for the next 4 years at $225K per game and watch it happen...quick and in a hurry!

Don't worry MB, you talking to a brick wall.

Each SWAC institution will do what's best for each school to promote and make the most business sense for them. ESPNU came calling for us to play Grambling on a Thursday so guess what? Texas Southern will take that money and exposure and Grambling are playing on Thursday.

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Each SWAC institution will do what's best for each school to promote and make the most business sense for them. ESPNU came calling for us to play Grambling on a Thursday so guess what? Texas Southern will take that money and exposure and Grambling are playing on Thursday.

Where in Houston is Texas Southern going to play Grambling? Can't imagine Durley Complex being an ideal setting. Is Tully Stadium available? Berry Center?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Where in Houston is Texas Southern going to play Grambling? Can't imagine Durley Complex being an ideal setting. Is Tully Stadium available? Berry Center?

Actually, we are playing them in the Astrodome.

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Actually, we are playing them in the Astrodome.

Rats and Rodents Classic sponsored by Priscilla Slade? Nice! xnodx

So, where you guys meeting up?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Rats and Rodents Classic sponsored by Priscilla Slade? Nice! xnodx

So, where you guys meeting up?

At your mother's house why do you ask?

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2008, 02:43 PM
At your mother's house why do you ask?

I just do not see a Thursday televised game at Durley being shown on the ESPN family of networks...so I am curious to what facilities would be available for a Thursday night broadcast.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I just do not see a Thursday televised game at Durley being shown on the ESPN family of networks...so I am curious to what facilities would be available for a Thursday night broadcast.

I got you. The game has been moved to Galveston.

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Hornets profit with new schedule
By Josh Moon • [email protected] • June 19, 2008

The Gulf Coast Classic just got a shot of life.

On Tuesday, officials at Alabama State and Southern University signed an agreement guaranteeing the two schools will meet each season in Mobile's Ladd-Peebles Stadium through the year 2011.

The deal gives the game the two things its critics have demanded: A big-time, consistent opponent and a nice payday.

Southern boasts one of the largest, most devoted fan bases in the conference and its continued involvement in the game puts an end to ASU's often-criticized practice of rotating opponents each season. In addition, the Gulf Coast Scholar and Sports Foundation, a non-profit organization in Mobile that's serving as host for the game, has promised a $900,000 payout to ASU over the next four years.

"To be honest, (Southern) was the only opponent that would make it work," ASU head coach Reggie Barlow said. "I played in that game when I was here and we played Texas Southern one year and Alcorn one year. It just didn't have the same feel as playing Southern. Those weren't well-attended games. A lot of people -- and I was one of them -- have said all along that if you're gonna do it, have it be (Southern). We're excited that it is."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080619/SPORTS/806190323/1002/sports