Assistants' salaries = $ 450,000

Total so far . . . $ 2,106,000

Add in . . .
• Recruiting
• Scholarships
• Room & Board
• Travel
• Equipment
• Support Staff (managers/trainers/tutors, etc.)
• Promotions & Advertising
• Benefits on all coaches' salaries (appx. additional 20%)

They're gonna have to sell a HELLUVA LOT OF TICKETS to make budget for football at Georgia State!

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Curry has got to be the highest paid FCS coach in America. Are there any other coaches that even break 300k outside of South Alabama (who is really heading FBS)...?

dbackjon
June 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Curry has got to be the highest paid FCS coach in America. Are there any other coaches that even break 300k outside of South Alabama (who is really heading FBS)...?

And you don't think FBS is Georgia State's goal?

bobbythekidd
June 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I think Coach Keeler, U Delaware, is the highest paid Coach in the FCS.

UAalum72
June 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Is that rental figure correct? A couple of people on the GaSU forum said the Ga. Dome would be $47K per game - that is $250,000 per year, not per game.

CRAZY_DANE
June 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Is that rental figure correct? A couple of people on the GaSU forum said the Ga. Dome would be $47K per game - that is $250,000 per year, not per game.

Who's going to pay this tab? I want to know because SUNY needs to do the same. Is one of the Home Depot founders footing the bill?

We need a sugar daddy!

UAalum72
June 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Who's going to pay this tab? I want to know because SUNY needs to do the same. Is one of the Home Depot founders footing the bill?

We need a sugar daddy!

Georgia St. has a lot more students than Albany; just a $50/semester student fee increase generates over $2M per year. More to the point, there's no stadium handy that Albany could rent at any price.

gatadotcom
June 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM

If they're getting it for $250,00 for the SEASON then they're getting the deal of the century. The Dome quotes outside groups an initial quote of $250,000 that includes rent, security, ticket takers, cleaning, rolling out the turf, heat/ac/power, etc.

When Clear Channel brings in the SuperCross for a week and later the Monster Truck show for a week, they are cut a deal for the days when they're loading in and out that's much cheaper due to not requiring the manpower and security. For concerts and other shows that will pretty much be a sellout, the Dome takes a cut of the door and concessions, plus a small base fee, instead of the big guarantee.

Maybe GaState has some pull, but the Dome is a state facility and I don't see how they can get a cut-rate deal when others schools are offered the same.

TheBisonator
June 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Craig Bohl at NDSU makes $300K a year with his new contract, and he's one of the richest coaches in FBS. Yet GSU's guy makes over 400 grand?? DAYUM!!!

mathman
June 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Georgia State's site claims the $47,000 price tag per game.

Georgia State football costs (http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=860637)

Jerry Rackliffe, vice president of finance and affairs and a member of the steering committee, said rental and operating costs at the Dome would come to about $47,000 per home game, "which is a lot less than $6 million to $24 million a year" to build or refurbish and maintain a stadium.

From what I've heard, it is a good deal. Rumor has it that the Georgia Dome is anxious for Georgia State to play there because they need more tenants. Even Georgia Tech and Georgia State held their spring graduations in the Georgia Dome.

Georgia State right now has 7 men's sports so they should drop one now and another when football starts to mollify the costs. I believe that the increase in the athletic fee will make Georgia State the most expensive school to attend in the university system and that includes UGA and Georgia Tech. Georgia State has about 27,000 students so we'll see if football or the increase in the athletic fee will affect enrollment.

Tod
June 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Craig Bohl at NDSU makes $300K a year with his new contract, and he's one of the richest coaches in FBS. Yet GSU's guy makes over 400 grand?? DAYUM!!!

Pretty sure you meant to say FCS...

UAalum72
June 19th, 2008, 07:21 AM
The AJC wants to call it the 'University Championship Division' ?

CRAZY_DANE
June 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Georgia State's site claims the $47,000 price tag per game.

Georgia State football costs (http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&ATCLID=860637)

Georgia State right now has 7 men's sports so they should drop one now and another when football starts to mollify the costs.

I have friends on the GSU lax team. Cutting lax would be dumb. It's one of the few sports not dominated by the SEC. Lax is GSU's opportunity to get a lead position and with the ACC teams they have nearby and ready opponents.

Instead they want to take on UGA nation in football? GSU will be FBS and soon, no doubt. Can they ever compete with UGA? No likely.

93henfan
June 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I think Coach Keeler, U Delaware, is the highest paid Coach in the FCS.

I dunno about that. This article states he probably makes less than $275,000/yr, though it's all speculation, since UD does not release salary information for the position:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080309/SPORTS07/803090331/1002/SPORTS

appfan2008
June 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
i know coach moore doesnt make all that much which is a crying shame...

soweagle
June 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
i know coach moore doesnt make all that much which is a crying shame...

I agree he should be the highest but hasn't that been his choice? I thought I heard that he has asked to give the raises to his assistants.

mathman
June 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have friends on the GSU lax team. Cutting lax would be dumb. It's one of the few sports not dominated by the SEC. Lax is GSU's opportunity to get a lead position and with the ACC teams they have nearby and ready opponents.

Instead they want to take on UGA nation in football? GSU will be FBS and soon, no doubt. Can they ever compete with UGA? No likely.
Ok, I'm really confused here.What do you mean? Neither Georgia State nor Georgia Southern have Lacrosse so how are your friends playing GSU lacrosse? Do you mean at the club level? Georgia State may add women's lacrosse to satisfy Title IX when football is added. Dropping some men's sports might allow Georgia State to avoid having to add another women's sport. It would definitely save money overall, especially to pay Curry's salary and maybe give the assistant coaches additional pay. At this point, with the addition of football, I think it would be prudent for Georgia State's AD to pull the reins in on the other sports. Football is the 800 pound gorilla moving in so the AD should make more room than she thinks she needs. Georgia State has no idea what additional money it can raise, sponsorships it can land, or attendance it will have. Only a few schools and even fewer FCS schools can make football a cash cow let alone one that breaks even. And Georgia Southern is more likely to turn FBS than Georgia State. Georgia State is in a sports saturated town with Georgia Tech just 2 miles away and UGA too close, and the presence of a pro-football team frequently damages local interest in college ball. Making FCS football work will be enough of a challenge for Georgia State. Georgia Southern has everything it needs to be FBS except a large market. They seem to be hoping to tap into Atlanta's market but they haven't made much of an impact. The news media here buzzed about Erk Russell and Southern at first but it gradually died out.

And so what if GSU (which ever school you choose) is able to be successful in lacrosse or any of the non-revenue sports? They mostly fly under the radar unless they get to the national championship level and even then the coverage pales compared to regular season football games. Georgia Tech's women's tennis team won the national championship last year and GT's athletic department certainly made the most of it but they can disband the team tomorrow for all I care.