PDA

View Full Version : Great West To Include UTPA And become All Sports Conf?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=utpa-looking-to-the-great-west&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

EDINBURG - The University of Texas-Pan American is looking west in its decade-long search for conference affiliation.

Great West Commissioner Ed Grom said Tuesday he’s been working with UTPA and several other independent schools for six to eight weeks on adding an all-sports division under the umbrella of his conference, which is a five-team Football Championship Subdivision-only league.

Such a move would include several of UTPA’s existing sports and would not entail adding football or guarantee the NCAA will recognize the new Great West conference - even if it meets all the longterm requirements.

“Right now it’s just an idea of turning the Great West into an all-sports league, and (we) just threw out some ideas to people and different schools out there to see if there’s any interest in doing that,” Grom said. “That’s as far as it’s gotten at this point.”

xeekx

DFW HOYA
June 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
It's difficult to visualize an all-sports conference if the existing members don't want to join it.

So what does Pan-Am have to work with?

NJIT
Chicago State
Utah Valley State
Longwood

If the price of jet fuel alone doesn't doom this idea, the sheer incompatability between these schools will.

RabidRabbit
June 18th, 2008, 11:54 AM
South Dakota St/North Dakota St. created this alliance, and Ed Grom is looking to build it into a "conference" Basically, rather than enter with NOTHING (independent status) all independents would have a "conference to turn to" for their scheduling needs in BB in particular. For schools that sponsor sports that their main conference doesn't, it also provides a "home" for that sport (Howard in women's soccer comes to mind).

Regarding who will be involved, look for Seattle U., Houston Baptist, UND, USD to join UTPA, Chicago St as likely candidates.

This will not be a stable conference.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM
This conference will be the "second" Mid-Con/Summit League. One that is all over the place! It could encourage a few schools to move up to the next level though.

Oklahoma City University and/or Harding (Ark) may be able to find a home in this conference. Tarleton State (TX), if there is not an opening in the Southland when they are looking could find some solace there as well.

813Jag
June 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
South Dakota St/North Dakota St. created this alliance, and Ed Grom is looking to build it into a "conference" Basically, rather than enter with NOTHING (independent status) all independents would have a "conference to turn to" for their scheduling needs in BB in particular. For schools that sponsor sports that their main conference doesn't, it also provides a "home" for that sport (Howard in women's soccer comes to mind).

Regarding who will be involved, look for Seattle U., Houston Baptist, UND, USD to join UTPA, Chicago St as likely candidates.

This will not be a stable conference.
That will be such a far flung conference especially for sports like basketball. You can add Savannah State to that independent list. They have no home and probably won't have one on the FCS level.

aust42
June 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM
It's a shame North Dakota State and South Dakota state left for the Gateway, it was a very good conference and could have been better if those two stayed with all the Dakota schools playing in one conference.

Model Citizen
June 18th, 2008, 12:03 PM
It would be too small to become Mid-Con II...not enough members for automatic bids.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
It would be too small to become Mid-Con II...not enough members for automatic bids.

They eventually will get enough members to become the second coming of the Mid-Con. I think this is pretty much that "United Basketball League", but in the form of an all-sports league. This is very intriguing and could make the realignment, especially as it relates to new Division I schools become more interesting...

dgreco
June 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I can picture the Great West looking like this

Utah Valley University
Chicago St.
North Dakota
South Dakota
Texas Pan American
Seattle University
Cal St. Bakersfield
Houston Baptist University

Then you have Oklahoma City if they are still moving up

I guess a NJIT Longwood or SSU could join, but it wouldnt make sense, unless they will never find a conference. They could be the 3 East Coast teams traveling.

dgreco
June 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
here is a map, and it is extremely spread out, but if it helps these schools out of DI hell it might help the programs a little.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/grecodg3/Big_West-USA-states.png

dbackjon
June 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Isn't Bakersfield slated for the Big West?

Seattle's #1 desire is the WCC.

Another conference was bound to happen - too many independents out there.

813Jag
June 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
here is a map, and it is extremely spread out, but if it helps these schools out of DI hell it might help the programs a little.

Travel in that conference would kill whatever budget Savannah State has. It's not too bad travelwise if you take out Longwood, NJIT, and SSU.

BearsCountry
June 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
All it is a scheduling alliance and to give the student athletes something to play for.

RabidRabbit
June 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Travel in that conference would kill whatever budget Savannah State has. It's not too bad travelwise if you take out Longwood, NJIT, and SSU.

Oh, it's a horrible travel schedule, but out west, not much of any better choices, especially for those schools still in transition, which is over 1/2 that list.

NJIT, I understand not wanting, same with Savannah St., but what is the issue for Longwood?

813Jag
June 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Oh, it's a horrible travel schedule, but out west, not much of any better choices, especially for those schools still in transition, which is over 1/2 that list.

NJIT, I understand not wanting, same with Savannah St., but what is the issue for Longwood?
Honestly I kind of threw their name in, I don't know much about them.

dgreco
June 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I think the Great West Conference would work great without those 3 east coast schools. I just threw them in there to see what it would look like.

You would have basically 8 or 9 with Ok City and thats not bad for teams who really don't have a home. It might also spark more west coast teams to move. Maybe an Alaska team moves up? Maybe another CA team can move up, idk. I think it is better than nothing though.

Lionsrking
June 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM

They can change the name to the Great United States Conference...or the Coast to Coast Conference...or the Four Corners Conference...or the Red States Blue States League...or the Who Else Wants to Join Alliance.

jcf5445
June 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
In all fairness to the MidCon/Summit, it was not founded like this at all. It was a very tight and stable conference for the first several years. The founding members were Cleveland State, Eastern Illinois, Illinois-Chicago, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Valparaiso, Western Illinois, and UW-Green Bay. The conference didn't get far flung until 1994 when the Horizon League somehow persuaded 6 of the MidCon members to leave, and the MidCon, now Summit, has been in disarray ever since. I think they'll add the Dakotas in a couple of years and finally have some stability again, but at one point they were taking any independent willing to join in order to keep membership up.

As far as this Great West thing goes, I don't think it will ever make it as an autobid conference. CSU-Bakersfield will join the Big West. Seattle will eventually get in the West Coast. North and South Dakota will end up in the Summit. Longwood will eventually get into the Big South (they were denied when the Big South was chasing after football members, but they now have an autobid so things have changed) or the Atlantic Sun.

Utah Valley, Houston Baptist, UTPA, and Oklahoma City (who hasn't made an official announcement yet, but probably will this summer) will probably stick together for a few more years as a 4 team alliance. The question is whether or not Savannah State, Chicago State, and NJIT will be desperate to join those 4 and stick together long enough to become an official conference (It'll take a while, as Houston Baptist and Oklahoma City have 7 or 8 years to go, lol). I just don't think they will. One of the northeastern conferences will eventually have mercy on NJIT and take them in. Chicago State will be stuck in independent land for a long time unless the Summit has mercy on them for leaving 2 years ago, so there is a chance they may stick with those 4.

Savannah State appears to me to be the biggest longshot at landing a home, but the door to the MEAC has not been officially closed. The MEAC pomised to reevaluate SSU once their probation ends, and I believe it just ended. Most people seem to believe the MEAC will vote later this year on whether or not to extend invitations ot North Carolina Central and Savannah State. NCCU is more than likely in, and while some are optimistic about SSU's future, but those people are few and far between. I simply doubt that they will stick with those teams out west in the event that the MEAC votes them down. I think there's a greater probability that they will drop back down to DII than joining a makeshift western conference, but I have been wrong before. There's also a lot of speculation that a 3rd HBCU conference will be formed in the next few years out of the MEAC, Tennessee State, SSU, NCCU, and some potential DII schools, but that's pure speculation.

813Jag
June 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
In all fairness to the MidCon/Summit, it was not founded like this at all. It was a very tight and stable conference for the first several years. The founding members were Cleveland State, Eastern Illinois, Illinois-Chicago, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Valparaiso, Western Illinois, and UW-Green Bay. The conference didn't get far flung until 1994 when the Horizon League somehow persuaded 6 of the MidCon members to leave, and the MidCon, now Summit, has been in disarray ever since. I think they'll add the Dakotas in a couple of years and finally have some stability again, but at one point they were taking any independent willing to join in order to keep membership up.

As far as this Great West thing goes, I don't think it will ever make it as an autobid conference. CSU-Bakersfield will join the Big West. Seattle will eventually get in the West Coast. North and South Dakota will end up in the Summit. Longwood will eventually get into the Big South (they were denied when the Big South was chasing after football members, but they now have an autobid so things have changed) or the Atlantic Sun.

Utah Valley, Houston Baptist, UTPA, and Oklahoma City (who hasn't made an official announcement yet, but probably will this summer) will probably stick together for a few more years as a 4 team alliance. The question is whether or not Savannah State, Chicago State, and NJIT will be desperate to join those 4 and stick together long enough to become an official conference (It'll take a while, as Houston Baptist and Oklahoma City have 7 or 8 years to go, lol). I just don't think they will. One of the northeastern conferences will eventually have mercy on NJIT and take them in. Chicago State will be stuck in independent land for a long time unless the Summit has mercy on them for leaving 2 years ago, so there is a chance they may stick with those 4.

Savannah State appears to me to be the biggest longshot at landing a home, but the door to the MEAC has not been officially closed. The MEAC pomised to reevaluate SSU once their probation ends, and I believe it just ended. Most people seem to believe the MEAC will vote later this year on whether or not to extend invitations ot North Carolina Central and Savannah State. NCCU is more than likely in, and while some are optimistic about SSU's future, but those people are few and far between. I simply doubt that they will stick with those teams out west in the event that the MEAC votes them down. I think there's a greater probability that they will drop back down to DII than joining a makeshift western conference, but I have been wrong before. There's also a lot of speculation that a 3rd HBCU conference will be formed in the next few years out of the MEAC, Tennessee State, SSU, NCCU, and some potential DII schools, but that's pure speculation.
Out of the options discussed unless there is a huge turn around by SSU. DII will be their best option. I'm not a MEAC guy but I would think NCCU has a solid grasp on getting in.

I haven't seen this, the only thing I've heard (read) was a conference (hypothetical) made up of SWAC/MEAC/Tennessee State. But I truly doubt anything will happen.

gjw007
June 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
All it is a scheduling alliance and to give the student athletes something to play for.

In short, isn't that what a conference does; provide scheduling and give the athletes something to play for?

IaaScribe
June 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Longwood has applied for Big South membership several times and has been denied, mostly because of football. But the Big South is now at 10 teams, and unless someone leaves (unlikely at this point), I can't imagine the Big South wanting to make it 11 with Longwood.

Longwood's best shot is in the Atlantic Sun, which is now at 11 teams with Gardner-Webb departing for the Big South next year full time. The A-Sun gives all sorts of startups a chance (Kennesaw, SC Upstate, North Florida, Florida Gulf Coast). Longwood immediately will be DI tournament eligible. Seems to make sense.

Savannah's probably not an option for the MEAC. The school has a lot of athletics baggage and the MEAC is already big enough.

aztecjim
June 18th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I have always preferred conferences in three groups. 1)All FBS schools, 2)All FCS schools, and 3)No-football schools. How's this for a new all-sports group 3 loop?:
Centenary, Houston Baptist, Lamar, New Orleans, South Alabama, TAMU-Corpus Christi, UA-Little Rock, UT-Arlington, UT-Pan American, and UT-San Antonio.

Of course Lamar and USA will be leaving for football playing conferences. UT-SA also seems likely. UT-Arlington could. Add in Oklahoma City and maybe Oral Roberts and you have an 8-10 school conference. Sounds a lot like the original Trans-America Athletic Conference. Somebody call Hardin-Simmons willya?

813jag,
I have wondered why the HBCUs stay in just two conferences. They will never receive more than just their autobids in most sports so why not create a third conference? Three autobids is better than two.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I have always preferred conferences in three groups. 1)All FBS schools, 2)All FCS schools, and 3)No-football schools. How's this for a new all-sports group 3 loop?:
Centenary, Houston Baptist, Lamar, New Orleans, South Alabama, TAMU-Corpus Christi, UA-Little Rock, UT-Arlington, UT-Pan American, and UT-San Antonio.

Of course Lamar and USA will be leaving for football playing conferences. UT-SA also seems likely. UT-Arlington could. Add in Oklahoma City and maybe Oral Roberts and you have an 8-10 school conference. Sounds a lot like the original Trans-America Athletic Conference. Somebody call Hardin-Simmons willya?

Lamar and USA already have football homes in the Southland and Sun Belt, respectively. UTSA will have a football home in FBS if they decide to add it.

The league will need to get an auto-bid before they have any chance at getting other schools from mid-major conferences. This league's best bet for the time being is to rack up as many schools, whether independents, affiliates (when available for whichever sports) and upcoming Div I schools as they can.

JBB
June 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM
It's a shame North Dakota State and South Dakota state left for the Gateway, it was a very good conference and could have been better if those two stayed with all the Dakota schools playing in one conference.

No, its not a shame. Its a shame NDSU and SDSU had to endure endless torment from the UxDs, lead by UND. In fact USD was in favor of the move with the Mighty Land Grants. They had every chance to make it work. The Mighty Land Grants even gave them a year to think about it, but UND insisted D2 all the way baby, long live the NCC.

That being said, its a good thing the GWFC is starting to define itself more formally. The alliances between these new schools being mentioned was originally created by the Mighty Land Grants in an effort to ease scheduling woes. It would be a great thing for D1 if they could get together and formalize a more meaningful relationship.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Saw this on Bisonville, yet to see it here...

Utah Valley University is hoping for an invite to the WAC

"Jacobsen (AD @ UVU) said that he has discussed the possibility with WAC commissioner Karl Benson a few times.

Jacobsen said that the Mountain West isn't interested in expanding, and the Summit League, which includes Southern Utah, isn't interested in adding another Utah school. Jacobsen also said that he was told by the West Coast Conference that UVU didn't fit “their profile.” The WCC is made up of eight religious/private schools. The Big West told Jacobsen that its wants to be an all-California conference. That really only leaves the WAC..."

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20080603/SPORTS/544019787/-1/SPORTS

813Jag
June 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM

813jag,
I have wondered why the HBCUs stay in just two conferences. They will never receive more than just their autobids in most sports so why not create a third conference? Three autobids is better than two.
IMO, if teams were to leave the SWAC and MEAC, I wouldn't want another HBCU conference formed. I would prefer teams join aan existing league or join other schools in forming a league (all hypothetical) There aren't alot of programs at the DII level that are ready to move up, so splitting the leagues would only do more harm than good. Besides I don't see either existing league getting an autobid if there was a split.

aztecjim
June 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
In your opinion do you see any HBCU joining a non-HBCU conference? Except for Tennessee State and maaaaaybe Delaware State I don't see it. They have always been a tight nit group. There is another site that has a grid of realignment possibilities and I laugh at some of the schools they think could move up like Central State(OH) so you will have the present list of 23 schools for a while. That could be 8-8-7. Three eligible conferences. Even in non-conference they play each other for the most part. As for the auto-bid, I was mostly referring to non-football tourneys.

GeauxLions94
June 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
They can change the name to the Great United States Conference...or the Coast to Coast Conference...or the Four Corners Conference...or the Red States Blue States League...or the Who Else Wants to Join Alliance.

They can revive the Trans America Athletic Conference (TAAC). Sure the Atlantic Sun folks would be willing to sell the name.

dgreco
June 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
They can revive the Trans America Athletic Conference (TAAC). Sure the Atlantic Sun folks would be willing to sell the name.

If they can find 8+ teams from texas west pretty much (besides chicago st) they could be a serious low major conference.

I think they could get a few good DII teams to come up. Maybe an ACU or TSU. Better than have 10 teams be NCAA DI Independents.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I think they could get a few good DII teams to come up. Maybe an ACU or TSU. Better than have 10 teams be NCAA DI Independents.

One school not mentioned is Dallas Baptist. They would need to add WBB and if they were to throw in softball, it would make them even more attractive. They compete in Div I baseball, would like to see them in Div I.

If you could get these four Texas schools together, it would make a huge difference for a conference.

Dallas Baptist
Tarleton State
UT-Pan American
Houston Baptist

A post on the D2 board about UTPA...

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=11492

dbackjon
June 18th, 2008, 08:03 PM
One school not mentioned is Dallas Baptist. They would need to add WBB and if they were to throw in softball, it would make them even more attractive. They compete in Div I baseball, would like to see them in Div I.

If you could get these four Texas schools together, it would make a huge difference for a conference.

Dallas Baptist
Tarleton State
UT-Pan American
Houston Baptist

A post on the D2 board about UTPA...

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=11492

And if Oklahoma City University went D-I, that would be another in that area.

DFW HOYA
June 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
In your opinion do you see any HBCU joining a non-HBCU conference? Except for Tennessee State and maaaaaybe Delaware State I don't see it.

Add Hampton to that list.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 18th, 2008, 09:37 PM
IMO, if teams were to leave the SWAC and MEAC, I wouldn't want another HBCU conference formed. I would prefer teams join aan existing league or join other schools in forming a league (all hypothetical) There aren't alot of programs at the DII level that are ready to move up, so splitting the leagues would only do more harm than good. Besides I don't see either existing league getting an autobid if there was a split.

Might part the CIAA... move up, and take SSU along for the ride?

That would make three HBCU conferences...

Think of this for a second:

SSU
Virginia State
Virginia Union
Bowie State
Fayetteville State
Elizabeth City State

For fun, maybe add Johnson C. Smith and Shaw in there...

xeyebrowx

I appreciate that you say that these schools aren't ready to "move up", but aren't some pretty good candidates? I'm mainly thinking Virginia State and Bowie State. I don't know about Fayetteville State, but their profile doesn't seem bad either.

Them, plus SSU, would be four. All they would need is two more.

TonkaBison
June 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Might part the CIAA... move up, and take SSU along for the ride?

That would make three HBCU conferences...

Think of this for a second:

SSU
Virginia State
Virginia Union
Bowie State
Fayetteville State
Elizabeth City State

For fun, maybe add Johnson C. Smith and Shaw in there...

xeyebrowx

I appreciate that you say that these schools aren't ready to "move up", but aren't some pretty good candidates? I'm mainly thinking Virginia State and Bowie State. I don't know about Fayetteville State, but their profile doesn't seem bad either.

Them, plus SSU, would be four. All they would need is two more.

Maybe my memory is failing me but hasn't the NCAA put a 5 year hiatus on teams moving from the failing D-II to FCS? I thought they were finally trying to cauterize the wound? xsmhx

aztecjim
June 19th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Tonka,
You are right. We are finishing year one of a four year ban. Many thought the NCAA was going to use this time to make new rules regarding moves but nothing yet.

dgreco
June 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM
And if Oklahoma City University went D-I, that would be another in that area.

If we do that, add those 4, plus Ok City, plus Cal St. Bake (if no big west), plus Seattle if not WCC and maybe Hawaii Hilo, if they move everything up.

Then you have

Dallas Baptist
Houston Baptist
UT Pan American
Oklahoma City
Seattle
North Dakota
South Dakota
Chicago St
Cal St. Bakersfield
Hawai'i Hilo
Tarelton St.

---
12th team or no tarelton and you have 10 or no UHH and you have 10

813Jag
June 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM
In your opinion do you see any HBCU joining a non-HBCU conference? Except for Tennessee State and maaaaaybe Delaware State I don't see it. They have always been a tight nit group. There is another site that has a grid of realignment possibilities and I laugh at some of the schools they think could move up like Central State(OH) so you will have the present list of 23 schools for a while. That could be 8-8-7. Three eligible conferences. Even in non-conference they play each other for the most part. As for the auto-bid, I was mostly referring to non-football tourneys.
At this point I don't see anything happening. Depending on what criteria you use for seeing schools change to a non-HBCU conference you can't forget Southern, Grambling, or Jackson State.

chrisattsu
June 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
This conference will be the "second" Mid-Con/Summit League. One that is all over the place! It could encourage a few schools to move up to the next level though.

Oklahoma City University and/or Harding (Ark) may be able to find a home in this conference. Tarleton State (TX), if there is not an opening in the Southland when they are looking could find some solace there as well.

TT,

Honestly, I don't see Tarleton moving up unless the Southland offers the spot. Travel costs would be killer compared to the Lone Star Conference. In addition to this, I know that you threw out there regional games against HBU, UTPA, and Dallas Baptist, but as a fan I would care less about playing these teams for conference. Give me West Texas A&M, Abilene Christian, and Texas A&M-Kingsville any day.

jcf5445
June 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I think we can cross OCU off the list of potentials:

http://www.newsok.com/article/keyword/3234793/

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I think we can cross OCU off the list of potentials:

http://www.newsok.com/article/keyword/3234793/

That may change (re: the transition). HBU is currently involved in a lawsuit with the NCAA trying to make the transition period cut from seven years to three. I do not know if they have a chance at winning, but could very well pull off the 'W'...

A change there would influence OCU to give it another look. They don't want to put the $$$ in for a long-term wait. Understandable.

jcf5445
June 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I hope HBU does win. I think these transition years are ridiculous myself. As long as a team is playing by the rules of a division, they should be allowed to compete for championships. I understand why they have the transition years in place for division move-ups - because the NCAA wants a system that discourages teams from moving up on a whim - but what's the point in the 7 year transition period for non-NCAA members. You'd think the NCAA would let them in right away as long as they comply with all NCAA rules.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I hope HBU does win. I think these transition years are ridiculous myself. As long as a team is playing by the rules of a division, they should be allowed to compete for championships. I understand why they have the transition years in place for division move-ups - because the NCAA wants a system that discourages teams from moving up on a whim - but what's the point in the 7 year transition period for non-NCAA members. You'd think the NCAA would let them in right away as long as they comply with all NCAA rules.

The trouble with that is pointed out in the article: that some of these schools might have one world-beater sport (read: football or men's basketball), but don't have any infrastructure for other sports. OCU seems to be the poster child for this: in the "olden days" they had men's basketball and that's it. If they don't want to expand other sports, keep up with Title IX, etc. then they have to remain NAIA.

Put another way, the seven-year transition period is to ensure that ALL sports are up to snuff, not just one "money sport". If a school is already in the NCAA (at D-II or D-III, say) they are already compliant on certain NCAA minimums, so for them it's different.

jcf5445
June 19th, 2008, 11:30 AM
The trouble with that is pointed out in the article: that some of these schools might have one world-beater sport (read: football or men's basketball), but don't have any infrastructure for other sports. OCU seems to be the poster child for this: in the "olden days" they had men's basketball and that's it. If they don't want to expand other sports, keep up with Title IX, etc. then they have to remain NAIA.

Put another way, the seven-year transition period is to ensure that ALL sports are up to snuff, not just one "money sport". If a school is already in the NCAA (at D-II or D-III, say) they are already compliant on certain NCAA minimums, so for them it's different.

That's why I had the part about complying with all NCAA rules in my post. If they don't comply, then they shouldn't be allowed to join until they do. If they do comply, then why should they have to go through pergutory for 7 years, during which time it is virtually impossible to recruit any decent players or gain entry into a conference. Yes, the reason OCU left was because they didn't comply with Title IX and other NCAA regulations that were beginning to be enforced in the late 80s. However, if they are now in compliance with all NCAA Division I rules, then I don't think the NCAA should force them, HBU, or anybody else to wait 7 years before gaining membership.

Another way of looking at it, is that a non-NCAA member should be able to get "up to snuff" while still competing in their existing affiliation if that is possible. Then, once they are up to snuff, they should be able to make - for the most part - a seamless transition into the NCAA. Or perhaps a non-NCAA member begins the transition process, and is fully compliant within 2 years. Why should that school have to sit around for 5 more years? That just doesn't make sense to me.

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Of course, if the NCAA really wanted to shake up the landscape, it would require a school to sponsor football to be a Division I member. The collateral impact across conferences would be severe.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I would love to see the Summit and a potential Great West consider some reshuffling of schools. My factor is more based on location. The Dakotas are all making the push to D1. I do think that for the sake of the region and potential success for all, they really should be all together.

GREAT WEST:

North Dakota
South Dakota
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Southern Utah
Western Illinois
* Cal Poly (football only)
* UC Davis (football only)

Full members without football:
Utah Valley St.
IUPUI
Oakland
IPFW

This new Great West conference (could be Summit but it's easier for schools to LEAVE a conference than for a conference to kickout some members) would range from the midwest of Michigan/Indiana/Illinois, north to the Dakotas and West to Utah. As for travel, there are sensible partners involved. And for road trips, a school could play multiple opponents with limited travel:
North Dakota & NDSU
South Dakota & SDSU
southern Utah & Utah Valley St.
IPFW/IUPUI/Oakland
with Western illinois in the middle of the three eastern schools and those in South Dakota

As for the Summit...

The Summit League would take more of a southern feel with 8 full-time members and no football members:

Summit League:
Oral Roberts
UMKC
Centenary
*Dallas Baptist
*Houston Baptist
*UT Pan American
*Oklahoma City
*Tarelton St.

Other Schools potentially looking for homes:
Seattle (eventually will be in the WCC)
Cal St. Bakersfield (will be in Big West)
Chicago St: if they were still in the summit, I'm sure they would force the Great West to take them. But they are gone and the Summit members aren't crying
Hawai'i Hilo
Savannah St
Longwood
NJ Tech

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.kxmc.com/News/249222.asp

Fargo, N.D. (AP) The new University of North Dakota president says he's visited with his counterpart at North Dakota State University and looks forward to working together.

Robert Kelley, who takes over as UND president in July, predicts he and NDSU President Joseph Chapman will be "good friends." Kelley also says both presidents look forward to the time when NDSU and UND can be in the same athletic division and resume their Football rivalry.

Now that puts some fuel on some sort of realignment....

BisonBacker
June 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I don't see that putting any fuel on any realignment. For one thing there are about as many fans who don't want to see this continue as there are that do. Personally I have no interest in the GWFC anymore and the only way I would be for any kind of conference realignment would be to see a conference with both Montana schools in it along with UNI to go along with the Dak schools and that ain't happening anytime soon. So for my two cents worth I hope it doesn't happen. I'm just so sick and tired of MPLSBison getting a huge woody about UND in every god damned thread he gets in. I respect his right to his opinions but the whole topic is just so damned worn out. One last thing about that article too, I notice that the comment about resuming the rivalry came from Kelley not Chapman, I'll believe it when I hear Chapman say it. OK I'll get off the soap box and let everyone carry on.xbangx xbangx xbangx

TexasTerror
June 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Not sure the Summit League schools would want a reshuffling of the decks if you will until the Great West has acquired automatic qualifiers in all the sports.

You see Centenary has their first 14 of 15 away from home with just one OOC game at home? Geez! They are worst than the SWAC -- one guarantee game after another to bring in $$$ to pay for that Summit League travel.

http://www.gocentenary.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=89619&SPID=10695&ATCLID=1481824&DB_OEM_ID=17900

CollegeSportsInfo
June 19th, 2008, 05:15 PM
It's tough, TT. Travel costs continue to grow. This is why I think at this level of expansion, Tier III of Division 1, that the schools need to make some concessions:
If there is the opportunity to combine like-minded schools in the same general area that would limit travel costs and build better rivalries...go for it. It will be best for all schools involved.

On a side note...the opponents of combining all the Dakota schools into one conference need to realize the economics of college sports on the Division 1 level. Any chance you have to limit costs and strengthen regional play, it's a good thing. If one school finds more success and gets invited elsewhere for ALL-SPORTS, then you move up (Big Sky, MVC, etc). But until then, you get your start in D1 and hope it works out.

FargoBison
June 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
It's tough, TT. Travel costs continue to grow. This is why I think at this level of expansion, Tier III of Division 1, that the schools need to make some concessions:
If there is the opportunity to combine like-minded schools in the same general area that would limit travel costs and build better rivalries...go for it. It will be best for all schools involved.

On a side note...the opponents of combining all the Dakota schools into one conference need to realize the economics of college sports on the Division 1 level. Any chance you have to limit costs and strengthen regional play, it's a good thing. If one school finds more success and gets invited elsewhere for ALL-SPORTS, then you move up (Big Sky, MVC, etc). But until then, you get your start in D1 and hope it works out.

I agree its a good thing to have the Dakota's together but the MVFC will have to implode if NDSU is going to join the type of football conference you are talking about.

What I think is more likely is that the Summit eventually rids itself of SUU and Centenary and bring in the UXD's. However, it may be awhile before they can get their foot in the MVFC door.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 19th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I agree its a good thing to have the Dakota's together but the MVFC will have to implode if NDSU is going to join the type of football conference you are talking about.

What I think is more likely is that the Summit eventually rids itself of SUU and Centenary and bring in the UXD's. However, it may be awhile before they can get their foot in the MVFC door.

I just hope it's not a painful path for NDSU and SDSU to be in (2) conferences while in the midst of an expensive all-sports upgrade to D1. I agree that the MVFC is certainly better. But in the long run, I think it's best for the 4 Dakota schools to be in a single conference for all-sports. Too bad the NCAA doesn't make that easier.

mizzoufan1
June 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM
The NCAA Division 1 Council is controlled by the six BCS Conferences and Notre Dame. That is a simple fact. And the big leagues are not in the mood to split the pie any more than they have to (see the current 65 teams thing that is going on in the Men's Basketball Tournament.)

And I hate to say it, but if those six leagues ever decide that the NCAA is no longer for them, they will leave, then where would the NCAA be?

BearsCountry
June 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
The NCAA Division 1 Council is controlled by the six BCS Conferences and Notre Dame. That is a simple fact. And the big leagues are not in the mood to split the pie any more than they have to (see the current 65 teams thing that is going on in the Men's Basketball Tournament.)

And I hate to say it, but if those six leagues ever decide that the NCAA is no longer for them, they will leave, then where would the NCAA be?

Conference USA is on that board as well. They have equal voting rights as the 6 BCS conference.

FargoBison
June 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I just hope it's not a painful path for NDSU and SDSU to be in (2) conferences while in the midst of an expensive all-sports upgrade to D1. I agree that the MVFC is certainly better. But in the long run, I think it's best for the 4 Dakota schools to be in a single conference for all-sports. Too bad the NCAA doesn't make that easier.

If the conference had a nice regional footprint I would agree but as you know the NCAA doesn't really make that kind of re-alignment easy to do. If the NCC wouldn't have faced a 13 year postseason ban the conference probably would have moved together.

gjw007
June 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM
If the conference had a nice regional footprint I would agree but as you know the NCAA doesn't really make that kind of re-alignment easy to do. If the NCC wouldn't have faced a 13 year postseason ban the conference probably would have moved together.

So true, the ban on post season play had much to do with the NCC not making the move and the reluctant of the Minnesota schools as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2008, 09:09 AM

If they do, doesn't the Great West then become a reality? SUU is already a member in football, and Centenary would give them six members, right?

It would be a tug-of-war for the Summit and GW where both would lose. They both need the UxDs.

dbackjon
June 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM

That is why the decision NOT to move in the 90's as a conference was a horrid one. Only five year wait back then.

So true, the ban on post season play had much to do with the NCC not making the move and the reluctant of the Minnesota schools as well.

I would have like the Dakota and Minnesota Senators, etc to lean on the NCAA about this, since the area was lacking in D-I schools. They still could, and make some legitimate points about the new NCAA rules causing undo burdens on the primary state schools.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Agreed. Which is why the Great West and the (4) Dakota schools already upgrading should consider feelers to some of the former NCC schools. It seems asinine when the NCC should have been allowed to simply upgrade collectively. But the rules are in place. And those rules would allow the Great West to sponsor all-sports and hopefully get an autobid. All they need to do is invite some of the NCC schools...if they were to upgrade.

North Dakota
North Dakota St.
south Dakota
south Dakota St.
Minnesota St.
Minnesota - Duluth
Nebraska - Omaha
St. Could St.

Want more than (8), fine, consider any of the following. I'd have to think that a couple of them would bolt the Summit for the Great West:

Southern Utah
Western Illinois
Utah Valley St.
IUPUI
Oakland
IPFW

Shockerman
June 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Agreed. Which is why the Great West and the (4) Dakota schools already upgrading should consider feelers to some of the former NCC schools. It seems asinine when the NCC should have been allowed to simply upgrade collectively. But the rules are in place. And those rules would allow the Great West to sponsor all-sports and hopefully get an autobid. All they need to do is invite some of the NCC schools...if they were to upgrade.

North Dakota
North Dakota St.
south Dakota
south Dakota St.
Minnesota St.
Minnesota - Duluth
Nebraska - Omaha
St. Could St.

Want more than (8), fine, consider any of the following. I'd have to think that a couple of them would bolt the Summit for the Great West:

Southern Utah
Western Illinois
Utah Valley St.
IUPUI
Oakland
IPFW

The only school on that list that has any potential is Minnesota State as they have the name and descent facilities. I can't picture NDSU and SDSU wanting to be in a conference again with UMD and UNO is the thrid school of a one school Football state and a split basketball state. I can't imagine they would have much success pulling their weight in DI. I am not sure about St Cloud as they seem to be commuter U. How about this for an all sports conference...

BIG NORTH
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
Minnesota State
Montana
Montana State
UNI

BearsCountry
June 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Here is another football playing school for the future of the Great West/Summit - Central Missouri. Pretty big school, dominate at the D2 level sans football, great facilites and close to Kansas City. According to some UCM people I know D1 talk is in the future if they can get some funding for a new bb arena. Plus Wayne State in Detroit has already been approved by their board to make the move if they want. If you could get Minnesota State to go as well you could have a nice core:

North Dakota
South Dakota
Minnesota State
Central Missouri
Wayne State

CollegeSportsInfo
June 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
The only school on that list that has any potential is Minnesota State as they have the name and descent facilities. I can't picture NDSU and SDSU wanting to be in a conference again with UMD and UNO is the thrid school of a one school Football state and a split basketball state. I can't imagine they would have much success pulling their weight in DI. I am not sure about St Cloud as they seem to be commuter U. How about this for an all sports conference...

BIG NORTH
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND
Minnesota State
Montana
Montana State
UNI

What would the benefits of such a move be for Montana, Montana St. and UNI? I'd love to keep an open mind to such a possibility, but ont he surface, it seems on par with Florida and LSU leaving the SEC for CUSA.

Rabbit74
June 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
What would the benefits of such a move be for Montana, Montana St. and UNI? I'd love to keep an open mind to such a possibility, but ont he surface, it seems on par with Florida and LSU leaving the SEC for CUSA.

The same question is legitimate for NDSU and SDSU. They have worked hard to get to what is the perhaps the best conference in BCS, and are expected to be competitive in thier first year of competition for the automatic bid. Why would either want to move down to a conference that would have to wait years for an autobid and to level of competition that is far from demonstrating its ability to compete at the same level and back to schools who were unwilling to take on the challenge an move forward 5 years ago when the XDSU make the move?

Even from a distance perspective, SDSU is closer to every school in the Missouri Valley Conference than they are to Montana and only Youngstown is further than Montana State. NDSU is probably closer to every MVC school except Youngstown than they are to eigther Montana School.

JBB
June 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Regents to decide UTPA conference membership on Friday

Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 at 11:09 a.m.

The University of Texas-Pan American Athletics Department is close to joining a conference.

The University of Texas Board of Regents is meeting on Friday.

The regents are expected to authorize the acceptance of the Great West Conference's invitation for UTPA to join.

Next Tuesday and Wednesday, all of the possible new schools meet to finalize the terms for conference membership.

An announcement is expected to be made next Thursday.

So far, the proposed members of the Great West Conference include:

UTPA
Houston Baptist
North Dakota
South Dakota
Seattle University
Chicago State

Also in discussion are Southern Utah, the University of California at Davis Calfornia Polytechnic State University.

Syntax Error
June 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM

The University of Texas-Pan American Athletics Department is close to joining a conference.

The regents are expected to authorize the acceptance of the Great West Conference's invitation for UTPA to join.

Next Tuesday and Wednesday, all of the possible new schools meet to finalize the terms for conference membership.

UTPA
Houston Baptist
North Dakota
South Dakota
Seattle University
Chicago State

Also in discussion are Southern Utah, the University of California at Davis Calfornia Polytechnic State University.xlolx
The University of Texas-Pan American has not been invited to join the GWFC.
xlolx

I'd love to see the source of your post. Here's something you can read:
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=utpa-looking-to-the-great-west&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Commissioner Grom said that no invitation was made and that an all-sport Great West is only an idea.

Thundar
June 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM

UTPA
Houston Baptist
North Dakota
South Dakota
Seattle University
Chicago State

Also in discussion are Southern Utah, the University of California at Davis Calfornia Polytechnic State University.

No way these schools leave their current sports conferences, if this scenario ever happened they would be football only members, its too unstable for anything other than FB.

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
JBB,

Check out this thread for plenty more discussion on the subject...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42743

89rabbit
June 22nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
The same question is legitimate for NDSU and SDSU. They have worked hard to get to what is the perhaps the best conference in BCS, and are expected to be competitive in thier first year of competition for the automatic bid. Why would either want to move down to a conference that would have to wait years for an autobid and to level of competition that is far from demonstrating its ability to compete at the same level and back to schools who were unwilling to take on the challenge an move forward 5 years ago when the XDSU make the move?

Amen! xnodx

dakotadan
June 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Here is the link to the article that JBB posted.

Regents to decide UTPA conference membership on Friday (http://www.team4news.com/sports/sports_story.aspx?id=149709)

UTPA
Houston Baptist
North Dakota
South Dakota
Seattle University
Chicago State

I was surprised not to see Utah Valley University included in the list. It could be that the news station just didn't include them.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some schools possibly join in individual sports.

Idaho State (softball)
Weber State (softball)
Northern Colorado (softball & baseball)
Hawaii - Hilo (baseball)

I can't wait until thursday to find out more about what is going on.

RabidRabbit
June 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Here is the link to the article that JBB posted.

Quote:

UTPA
Houston Baptist
North Dakota
South Dakota
Seattle University
Chicago State

I was surprised not to see Utah Valley University included in the list. It could be that the news station just didn't include them.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some schools possibly join in individual sports.

Idaho State (softball)
Weber State (softball)
Hawaii - Hilo (baseball)

I can't wait until thursday to find out more about what is going on.

Toss in UVSU, Longwood, NJIT and there's a 9-team BB league, 16 games set for Jan/Feb. Which would be a better transition situation than xDSU's found. Would be good for all these schools, but would leave them 13 years from getting an BB auto-bid, as only UTPA and Chicago St. are CORE eligible now.

So happy to be in the Summit/MVFC/Western Wrestling conferences!!!!

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks for posting that list. Was curious what teams needed some help scheduling as it relates to being out on the street with their squads.

Dallas Baptist (baseball) would be another, though they may opt out since they seem to be able to get a very tough OOC as is and I do not see this league being particularly strong to suit their needs.

Idaho State (softball)
Weber State (softball)
Hawaii - Hilo (baseball)

bincitysioux
June 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM

Dakotadan, that article that you linked was the second on this subject from the UTPA media area. It did not mention Utah Valley, but did mention Seattle. The first article that broke this story from a different media entity that covers UTPA mentioned Utah Valley, but not Seattle. I think that both will be included and this will be a 7-team all-sports league. Then there will be softball affiliates, possibly baseball affiliates, and even basketball affiliates, considering that New Jersey Tech and Longwood have had a basketball scheduling "alliance" with UTPA, Utah Valley, and Chicago St. for the last several years. I think that travel costs and more East coast scheduling options for NJIT, Longwood, and Savanna St. will keep them out of the league as all sports members, though. Same for CSU-Bakersfield. That is good I'd say. The geography isn't really all that horrible with the 7 I mentioned. Bus trips between Dakota schools and Texas schools and major airline hubs in Chicago, Houston, and Seattle. I wouldn't be surprised to see those east coast schools as regular basketball opponents, but not for volleyball, soccer, T&F, etc.

There was an article in the GF paper this winter saying that UND, USD, Northern Colorado, Utah Valley, and Idaho St. are forming a softball conference. I'll bet good money that the name of the league will be the Great West. Weber St. will be a part of it too.

dgreco
June 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Dakotadan, that article that you linked was the second on this subject from the UTPA media area. It did not mention Utah Valley, but did mention Seattle. The first article that broke this story from a different media entity that covers UTPA mentioned Utah Valley, but not Seattle. I think that both will be included and this will be a 7-team all-sports league. Then there will be softball affiliates, possibly baseball affiliates, and even basketball affiliates, considering that New Jersey Tech and Longwood have had a basketball scheduling "alliance" with UTPA, Utah Valley, and Chicago St. for the last several years. I think that travel costs and more East coast scheduling options for NJIT, Longwood, and Savanna St. will keep them out of the league as all sports members, though. Same for CSU-Bakersfield. That is good I'd say. The geography isn't really all that horrible with the 7 I mentioned. Bus trips between Dakota schools and Texas schools and major airline hubs in Chicago, Houston, and Seattle. I wouldn't be surprised to see those east coast schools as regular basketball opponents, but not for volleyball, soccer, T&F, etc.

There was an article in the GF paper this winter saying that UND, USD, Northern Colorado, Utah Valley, and Idaho St. are forming a softball conference. I'll bet good money that the name of the league will be the Great West. Weber St. will be a part of it too.

If the Great West really forms, I wonder what else this will effect? I don't know if established programs will move in, but maybe it will be a good location for a lot of other teams to move up, which the NCAA may not want, no?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=south-dakota-admits-talks-to-form-great-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

“There have been a number of independents that get together to talk about scheduling associations,” USD athletic director Joel Nielsen said. “We would be taking that to the level of a conference formation and affiliation. It is driven by doing what is best for the student athletes.”

Among the other schools that have been mentioned as possible members of this conference are Texas-Pan American, Seattle University, Chicago State, Houston Baptist, Utah Valley State and the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Both Seattle and Utah Valley listed there, incidentally. FWIW NJIT students have thought about starting football.

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Any more news on this subject today?

I've been searching around looking to no avail. I believe UT-Pan Am was going to find out some information from their BoR today...

97Torero
June 27th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I guess I missed it somewhere, but Seattle keeps coming into discussion. They do not have and do not plan to have football last time I checked. The WCC is a non football conference, which is part of the reason they are looking that route. It also doesn't hurt that they share the same private/religious based school set up of the others.

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I guess I missed it somewhere, but Seattle keeps coming into discussion. They do not have and do not plan to have football last time I checked. The WCC is a non football conference, which is part of the reason they are looking that route. It also doesn't hurt that they share the same private/religious based school set up of the others.

FYI -- this conference would be an all-sports league. All the schools involved do not have football. They'd just be putting themselves in a league that would have a football-side as well, which may help them with getting members when the moratorium is lifted.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
FYI -- this conference would be an all-sports league. All the schools involved do not have football. They'd just be putting themselves in a league that would have a football-side as well, which may help them with getting members when the moratorium is lifted.

That's right - though I keep noticing that the UND/USD people have been bringing up NDSU/SDSU a LOT.

Think of an all sports conference like:

UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
Seattle
Cal Poly
UC-Davis
San Diego
TX-Pan American

It s a big conference, but one that couldn't be ignored, in basketball OR football. And note: seven FB members, with UTPA as a longshot eigth.

dakotadan
June 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Everyone knows that the SUs are in the Summit and will never have anything to do with the Great West again. Not sure what you are talking about the UND/USD fans bringing up the SUs except that some see UND and USD also potentially ending up in the Summit down the road.

JBB
June 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Maybe they will and maybe they wont, but the reason the Mighty Land Grants come up is because they paved the road for this new conference.

The main thing that will make it work is commitment from the members. If there isnt some kind of 5 or 10 year commitment from all members it wont work.

Some may have noticed that the original GWFC was started as an alliance and all charter members could opt out no penalty. With the addition of the UxDs that all changed. Things are getting serious. This is a good opportunity but without commitment it is only a holding area for the ambitious.

poly51
June 28th, 2008, 12:40 AM
That's right - though I keep noticing that the UND/USD people have been bringing up NDSU/SDSU a LOT.

Think of an all sports conference like:

UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
Seattle
Cal Poly
UC-Davis
San Diego
TX-Pan American

It s a big conference, but one that couldn't be ignored, in basketball OR football. And note: seven FB members, with UTPA as a longshot eigth.

There is no way that Cal Poly or UC Davis would leave the Big West.

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM
NDSU, SDSU, Cal Poly and UC-Davis have nothing to gain by moving into the Great West for all-sports. The league is looking at a lengthy transition into having an auto-bid and those schools have already done a fair share of waiting as they just finished their transition. They won't be interested in doing this again...

mizzoufan1
June 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Here is the Issue...

The Independents are stuck in He!! until the NCAA decides to let them hold their own tournament and have one of them become eligible that way. They do it in the NAIA and it works beautifully. I think that if the Indy's would get together and hold something like this every year, the NCAA would let them in...Thoughts?

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
The Independents are stuck in He!! until the NCAA decides to let them hold their own tournament and have one of them become eligible that way. They do it in the NAIA and it works beautifully. I think that if the Indy's would get together and hold something like this every year, the NCAA would let them in...Thoughts?

This is why the independents are forming a league and doing what it takes to get eligible. They figure this is the way to go at it. Of course, I am not sure all independents will be willing to jump in and the moratorium in place is hurting this league from developing as it may inspire a few teams to make the move up.

dbackjon
June 28th, 2008, 01:05 PM
To me, this is a no-brainer for the next few years

Always easier scheduling, gives the kids a championship to play for, and down the road, if other opportunies don't develop, an autobid.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM
From the minutes of the University of Texas Board of Regents meeting...

3. U. T. Pan American: Authorization to accept invitation from the Great West Conference and to negotiate and finalize terms for athletic conference membership

RECOMMENDATION
The Chancellor ad interim concurs in the recommendation of the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and President Cárdenas that U. T. Pan American accept an invitation and negotiate a contract for Great West Conference membership.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION
U. T. Pan American, a NCAA Division I member, has been without an athletic conference affiliation since 1998. The institution has been exploring conference affiliations for the past nine years and has been invited to join a new conference.

Conference affiliation will benefit the University in many ways, including promotion of its athletic programs regionally and nationally, NCAA compliance, better scheduling, more home games that will assist the campus in building rivalries between institutions, and offering a consistent avenue for postseason competition.

As an independent athletic competitor, U. T. Pan American has had major difficulties in scheduling contests. U. T. Pan American has had to develop a fairly sizeable travel budget due to their location and their difficulty in finding comparable universities with which to compete. The institution has been competing against other independent universities that have the same travel problems. Some of these same universities will be forming a new conference called the Great West Conference.

U. T. Pan American's financial analysis indicates they may save some money in travel costs due to proposed creative scheduling. Additionally, U. T. Pan American has been competing against some of these same schools for several years so those costs are already a part of the
budget.

http://www.utsystem.edu/bor/AgendaBook/June08/6-20-08Meetingpage.html

89rabbit
July 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Looks like Chicago State is ready to go yet.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-08-chicagostatejul08,0,3624146.story

Firings add to Chicago St. woes
Baseball coach latest indicator of trouble

By Terry Bannon and Jodi Cohen | Chicago Tribune reporters
July 8, 2008

In one of her last acts before leaving her post as president of Chicago State University, Elnora Daniel fired athletic director Wayne Baskerville, whom she hired less than two years ago.

Baskerville's dismissal came amid disclosures on baseball blogs that biographical information on the school's Web site overstated the qualifications of baseball coach Husain Mahmoud.

Baskerville was fired May 30 and replaced by interim AD Beverly John. In mid-June, John informed Mahmoud he would not be retained. . . .

In 2006, CSU left the Mid-Continent Conference (now the Summit League) in a leave-before-you're-kicked-out scenario. The athletic department has been chronically underfunded by NCAA Division I standards. The school has been an independent the last two years.

Baskerville had been trying to find a new conference and met with the Great West Conference, which is trying to become a home for NCAA Division I independents. The CSU board of trustees turned down the invitation but is expected to revisit it once successors to Daniel and Baskerville are in place. . . . (read more)

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM
UT-Pan Am has apparently joined the Great West Conference...
-----------------
Action 4 Sports now has a date for an important athletics announcement from the University of Texas-Pan American.

The Rio Grande Valley university's athletic program has gone without a conference affiliation for the past decade.

But UTPA administrators have changed that.

They recently joined the Great West Conference.

The Broncs are now expected to hold press conference to discuss their admission on July 11 at 10 a.m.

http://kgbt4.com/sports/sports_story.aspx?id=156342

mizzoufan1
July 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Now that the Great West is looking to become a true All-Sports Conference, there could be a draw for some other teams...Say hello to Houston Baptist, Seattle U....

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Now that the Great West is looking to become a true All-Sports Conference, there could be a draw for some other teams...

A draw for some Div II teams to make the move up, perhaps, not for teams from other conferences. Doubt anyone would leave a conference with an autobid to post-season play for the Great West, which will take some time to earn their AQ...

And even the Div II schools have to wait a few years until the moratorium is lifted.

Sly Fox
July 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
HBU is holding a news conference tomorrow to announce their acceptance of the Great West invitation.

JetsLuvver
July 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
One name I never see mentioned in these Great West discussions is Denver. Aren't they looking for a conference that would be a better fit than the Sun Belt? It seems like this could be an option.

jcf5445
July 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
One name I never see mentioned in these Great West discussions is Denver. Aren't they looking for a conference that would be a better fit than the Sun Belt? It seems like this could be an option.

The only way Denver will join the Great West is if the Sun Belt kicks them out and they have to spend a couple of years as an independent. From what I understand, the Sun Belt and Denver both wish to part ways for geographical reasons (as well as the fact that the Belt wants to make room for possible expansion in the southeast). Denver wants in the WCC, but the WCC does not want Denver. Denver has scoffed at the Summit League, but that may very well be the only taker. There is an outside chance that the WAC will add a non-football member for non-football scheduling. If that happens, then Denver would be on the short list of candidates.

Best case but least likely: WAC
Worst case: Independent in a couple of years, no takers, Great West
Most likely: Remain in Sun Belt for the next 5-6 years

I guess it's possible that they may end up in the Summit. It's also possible that the WCC will add Denver along with Seattle to keep an even number, but I know they'd rather have Pacific. The only certainty is that they'll leave the Sun Belt, but it may not be for another 5-6 years.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Sun Belt rules only gives Denver a few more years (as well as New Orleans, which is on a waiver due to Katrina) to get the amount of conference sports required for membership (15). I believe this is required by 2012-2013. It's on the SBC site somewhere.

Denver obviously has a strong program in a few sports that are not offered by the SBC and would need to add to their program a few sports to reach that number.

mizzoufan1
July 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Sun Belt rules only gives Denver a few more years (as well as New Orleans, which is on a waiver due to Katrina) to get the amount of conference sports required for membership (15). I believe this is required by 2012-2013. It's on the SBC site somewhere.

Denver obviously has a strong program in a few sports that are not offered by the SBC and would need to add to their program a few sports to reach that number.

What sports does Denver offer? I know they have Women's Gymnastics but I do not see them adding say Softball & Baseball (too much cold and snow unless they are in a dome.) I always thought that Denver was a little out of tune for the Sun Belt...

Another question is why is the WCC being snooty about Denver? They would be a good add if they let Seattle into the fold...

dgreco
July 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Glad to see UTPA get this going.

I know Denver will have a tough time making the move, but after 5 or so years it makes a lot of sense.

They will still be dominate in the skiing type sports and play good lacrosse and hockey, so it won't really hurt them. Maybe playing in the GW will allow them more playoff chances.

GW:
Seattle
USD
UND
Seattle
Houston Baptist
UTPA
Utah Valley
Cal St. Bakersfield
Denver

and maybe even Chicago St. if they make the move. I can even see a SSU or NJIT or Longwood being that out of place team sort of how Denver is in the Sun Belt just to have a conference.

mizzoufan1
July 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Glad to see UTPA get this going.

I know Denver will have a tough time making the move, but after 5 or so years it makes a lot of sense.

They will still be dominate in the skiing type sports and play good lacrosse and hockey, so it won't really hurt them. Maybe playing in the GW will allow them more playoff chances.

GW:
Seattle
USD
UND
Seattle
Houston Baptist
UTPA
Utah Valley
Cal St. Bakersfield
Denver

and maybe even Chicago St. if they make the move. I can even see a SSU or NJIT or Longwood being that out of place team sort of how Denver is in the Sun Belt just to have a conference.

Take out Cal State-Bakersfield. They will be in the Big West.

Add in Dallas Baptist if they can get their act together enough to be a D-I school...xreadx

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Add in Dallas Baptist if they can get their act together enough to be a D-I school...xreadx

a) Dallas Baptist did not apply for Div I status and has to sit out the moratorium. All the other schools listed above are independents or in the process of making the move up (beat the moratorium).

b) Dallas Baptist has not expressed an interest in being a Div I school outside of baseball in any public sense to my knowledge

c) DBU would be better off staying independent in baseball considering they could get a pretty nice schedule as such and make the NCAAs -- see this year.

CollegeSportsInfo
July 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I don't see Denver making the move at any point. If they leave the Sunbelt I would think that the WCC makes the most sense...as it does for Seattle. I think the Great West will be a conference that takes over for the Mid-con and now Summit as the breeding ground for up and comer programs.

The school I'd be interested in seeing consider a move would be Southern Utah. If the Great West adds more schools after the moratorium that are west of the Mississippi, and they grow to 8 or 9 schools, it might not be a bad call for southern Utah to make the shift. They'd have a fellow Utah school and a better regional fit than the Summit.

In time, maybe a conference of this format could help schools like Southern Utah in sports like basketball:

Seattle
UND
USD
UTPA
Houston Baptist
Utah Valley St.
Oklahoma City University
Central Oklahoma
CSU-Pueblo
*Southern Utah

Others:
NJIT
Longwood
SSU

Upgrades:
UM - St. Louis
North Alabama
Delta St.
Ohio Central St.
UA-Huntsville
West Georgia
Indiana University - PA
No. Kentucky
Kentucky St.

dgreco
July 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
^it is all just really interesting now that this is moving forward

NoCoDanny
July 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Denver is not joining the Great West regardless of what the Sun Belt issues are.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Denver is not joining the Great West regardless of what the Sun Belt issues are.

So, even if they fail to meet the Sun Belt requirements in the set time frame? They'll just go independent instead of the Great West?

BearsCountry
July 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I think you will see Denver in the WCC, just a hunch of mine. WCC is just waiting till Seattle gets eligable.

Mike Johnson
July 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I think you will see Denver in the WCC, just a hunch of mine. WCC is just waiting till Seattle gets eligable.

Denver has some potential options. None biting right now. But, that program was resurrected in good fashion and they now appear very healthy financially. The WCC would be a good home for them. Perhaps when Seattle is eligible in 2011, Seattle and Denver would be added together. In which case, would traveling partners be:

Seattle/Gonzaga and Denver/Portland or would Portland/Gonzaga stay together and Seattle and Denver be traveling partners?

I would like to see Denver join the Mountain West. It keeps that conference at nine for football, but with ten for basketball and other sports and traveling partners would work well:

San Diego State-UNLV
Utah-BYU
Colorado State-Wyoming
Denver-Air Force
New Mexico-TCU.

But, the Mountain West, focused on improving market share for football, doesn't appear interested.

mizzoufan1
July 15th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I don't see Denver making the move at any point. If they leave the Sunbelt I would think that the WCC makes the most sense...as it does for Seattle. I think the Great West will be a conference that takes over for the Mid-con and now Summit as the breeding ground for up and comer programs.

The school I'd be interested in seeing consider a move would be Southern Utah. If the Great West adds more schools after the moratorium that are west of the Mississippi, and they grow to 8 or 9 schools, it might not be a bad call for southern Utah to make the shift. They'd have a fellow Utah school and a better regional fit than the Summit.

In time, maybe a conference of this format could help schools like Southern Utah in sports like basketball:

Seattle
UND
USD
UTPA
Houston Baptist
Utah Valley St.
Oklahoma City University
Central Oklahoma
CSU-Pueblo
*Southern Utah

Others:
NJIT
Longwood
SSU

Upgrades:
UM - St. Louis
North Alabama
Delta St.
Ohio Central St.
UA-Huntsville
West Georgia
Indiana University - PA
No. Kentucky
Kentucky St.

I just don't see UMSL (Missouri-St. Louis) making a move to D-1.

First, they are more of a commuter school than anything else. Second, there are an awful lot of D-I schools within 3 hrs of UMSL (Mizzou, MSU, SIU-C, SIU-E, SEMO). Third, I don't UMSL has the facilities transition. Finally, I don't think the Board of Curators for the System would approve such a move considering the "disaster" UMKC has been in D-I.

mizzoufan1
July 15th, 2008, 12:05 AM

Seattle
UND
USD
UTPA
Houston Baptist
Utah Valley St.
Oklahoma City University
Central Oklahoma
CSU-Pueblo
*Southern Utah

Others:
NJIT
Longwood
SSU

Upgrades:
UM - St. Louis
North Alabama
Delta St.
Ohio Central St.
UA-Huntsville
West Georgia
Indiana University - PA
No. Kentucky
Kentucky St.

First, they are more of a commuter school than anything else. Second, there are an awful lot of D-I schools within 3 hrs of UMSL (Mizzou, MSU, SIU-C, SIU-E, SEMO). Third, I don't UMSL has the facilities transition. Finally, I don't think the Board of Curators for the System would approve such a move considering the "disaster" UMKC has been in D-I.

mizzoufan1
July 15th, 2008, 12:06 AM

Seattle
UND
USD
UTPA
Houston Baptist
Utah Valley St.
Oklahoma City University
Central Oklahoma
CSU-Pueblo
*Southern Utah

Others:
NJIT
Longwood
SSU

Upgrades:
UM - St. Louis
North Alabama
Delta St.
Ohio Central St.
UA-Huntsville
West Georgia
Indiana University - PA
No. Kentucky
Kentucky St.

BearsCountry
July 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Now Central Missouri I could see making the move. And that would be the last Missouri school to move up to D1.

slostang
July 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Now Central Missouri I could see making the move. And that would be the last Missouri school to move up to D1.

The certainly have a great looking football stadium.

slostang
July 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM

What about Northwest Missouri State? They certainly have a very good football program that has had a lot of sucess. They also have nice facilities.

aztecjim
July 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Central State (Not Ohio Central St) has no plans to move to FBS or FCS and likely won't for 20 years.

BearsCountry
July 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
What about Northwest Missouri State? They certainly have a very good football program that has had a lot of sucess. They also have nice facilities.

Its located in the middle of nowhere and Maryville is about 10k in population. They are a school that fits the D2 profile perfect and they are happy there.

slostang
July 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Its located in the middle of nowhere and Maryville is about 10k in population. They are a school that fits the D2 profile perfect and they are happy there.

Where is Central Missouri located? (Other than the center of Missouri)

BearsCountry
July 15th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Its about 30 minutes outside of Kansas City. Its town is smaller as well but its close enough to KC and it has a pretty good size student population and it has support to make the move.

dbackjon
July 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Outside of KC...30 miles or so from suburbs

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS282&q=central%20missouri%20state&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl