PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele's Expanded FCS Coverage

UNHWILDCATS05
June 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Food for thought...Picked up Phil Steele's National College Football Preview to see if there was any FCS coverage and there was an FCS page. However the only information that page included was really a rundown on Phil Steele's FCS Coverage: Apparently, in Phil Steele's Pac-10 regional football review he has written a 1/2 page overview of all 125 FCS Teams (If not in Pac-10 country, you can order it online or by calling; it should be available in July). He says that depending on the responses he gets to the expanded FCS coverage (through sales and a corresponding questionaire), he could foresee an increase in his FCS coverage, culminating possibly in full pages per team in the future or even a separate magazine dedicated to FCS... More coverage the better as far as I'm concerned... hopefully enough people will show interest to expand his coverage...

bluehenbillk
June 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Looking forward to the release of the "Bible" next week, Street & Smiths, which actually is merged with Sporting News now, still the best pre-season preview.

jaxstatealum
June 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'd love to see something dedicated to FCS teams only xnodx The exposure sure would be nice!!! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'd love to see something dedicated to FCS teams only xnodx The exposure sure would be nice!!! xthumbsupx

CSN, formerly I-AA.org has done a preview mag every year for the last four or five years. xnodx

jaxstatealum
June 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
True and they have a farily nice website, but I don't see the mag in any local stores like you do Street & Smiths...

Pauly LB
June 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Food for thought...Picked up Phil Steele's National College Football Preview to see if there was any FCS coverage and there was an FCS page. However the only information that page included was really a rundown on Phil Steele's FCS Coverage: Apparently, in Phil Steele's Pac-10 regional football review he has written a 1/2 page overview of all 125 FCS Teams (If not in Pac-10 country, you can order it online or by calling; it should be available in July). He says that depending on the responses he gets to the expanded FCS coverage (through sales and a corresponding questionaire), he could foresee an increase in his FCS coverage, culminating possibly in full pages per team in the future or even a separate magazine dedicated to FCS... More coverage the better as far as I'm concerned... hopefully enough people will show interest to expand his coverage...

I contacted Phil Steele to find out what they were doing with FCS coverage. Like you said above, they are placing it in the Pac 10 Regional issue. If they have included a 1/2 page review of 125 teams that would equal 64 pages. Last year their FCS review was 35 pages and really was quite good but it left you wanting more if you were an FCS fan. The Pac 10 Regional issue should be on the newstands in mid July according to Phil Steele.

JMU1992
June 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Looking forward to the release of the "Bible" next week, Street & Smiths, which actually is merged with Sporting News now, still the best pre-season preview.

I actually thought that in recent years the coverage by Street and Smith's has been disappointing, and that The Sporting News was vastly superior. I think the purchase of Street and Smith's has hurt the quality of TSN previews.

catamount man
June 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Oh hell yes!!! Counting down the days myself. They cover d2, d3, jucos, and even NAIA. GREAT rag!

slycat
June 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
CSN, formerly I-AA.org has done a preview mag every year for the last four or five years. xnodx

whens that come out this year?

bluehenbillk
June 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I actually thought that in recent years the coverage by Street and Smith's has been disappointing, and that The Sporting News was vastly superior. I think the purchase of Street and Smith's has hurt the quality of TSN previews.

Well yes and no. Up to 2 years ago TSN was great but then they completely dropped all preview coverage of non FBS schools. Street and Smith has still covered it and has done a good job, normally a writer from each conference area does the writeup. It really helps you get thru the summer doldrums.

Keeper
June 18th, 2008, 04:00 AM
My Pac10/FCS copy will arrive by mail mid July.
Steele will have MORE INFO & stats than any other magazine.

CSN does a good job. but who can wait until the end of August?

bluehenbillk
June 18th, 2008, 06:39 AM
My Pac10/FCS copy will arrive by mail mid July.
Steele will have MORE INFO & stats than any other magazine.

CSN does a good job. but who can wait until the end of August?

Agree with that, it'd be great if Phil Steele blew out FCS coverage. However, he said himself he was disappointed in the response level he got last year, so if you guys want info this time of year, make sure you check it out & let him know there are FCS fans all across the country that appreciate the info.

jonmac
August 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I was listening to the Tony Mercurio Show, local host, ESPN Radio 1310, Norfolk, on Thursday. He has Phil on every Thursday to discuss his picks for the upcoming weekend. Phil was, of course, trying to sell his magazines and was plugging them being on sale at a local sponsor of Tony's program. He mentioned that he would consider doing an FCS magazine next year depending upon interest and sales of this years magazines, I guess mainly the PAC-10 mag that has FCS previews in it. He basically issued a challenge to the FCS fans to show the interest with our pocket books and he would do at least a full page on each FCS team and maybe even a magazine just for FCS. Sounds like he really wants to do it but also wants to make sure it will make money. Mercurio is not my favorite but it's a good outlet for us FCS folks because he is entrenched in all things ODU, especially women's basketball. Phil gets calls every week about FCS teams, mainly CAA of course. So, maybe we have something to look forward to next season as far preview mags goes. We should all try to let Phil know how we feel.