PDA

View Full Version : Predicting the 2008 FCS Upsets (Part I)

Lehigh Football Nation
June 17th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Thought this was interesting...

http://inthebleachers.net/college-football-news/when-david-meets-goliath-predicting-the-2008-fcs-upsets/

xthumbsupx

#9 is the most intriguing...

89Hen
June 17th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Delaware put up 581 yards of total offense in a win at bowl-bound Navy last year and typically bring a large number of fans to mid-Atlantic contests (Maryland, in contrast, does not usually draw well for OOC games.)
Man I hope we pack that crappy stadium (sorry LBPop) with blue. xhypedx

Tribe4SF
June 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Not sure where he's getting his info, but Maryland draws well all the time. 50,000 for the Tribe game there in 2006. 2,000 were ours. The place seats 51,000.

89Hen
June 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Not sure where he's getting his info, but Maryland draws well all the time. 50,000 for the Tribe game there in 2006. 2,000 were ours. The place seats 51,000.
Can hold up to 53k, but you are correct in that it's not like the place is half full. That said, I believe they sell more tix than actually attend (enter the stadium). I'm going to buy tix through StubHub as UD is having to limit season ticket holders to 4 tickets each. I have 8 people in our group that are planning to go. xthumbsupx

LBPop
June 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
While I have been focusing down the road for the past four years, I will now be spending a little more time in College Park and be better equipped to respond. Actually, I think attendance has been fairly consistent at Byrd Stadium. The team has been moderately successful lately, but there have been individual players that can also draw the fans.

As an aside, be ready for some serious speed both at WR and at RB. They have a couple of "home run hitters" at those positions along with a solid "ball control" type back to compliment the burner. Too bad Flacco isn't available (heck he's just up I-95, so maybe he can do a cameo for his old Hen teammates). :D

Tribe4SF
June 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Can hold up to 53k, but you are correct in that it's not like the place is half full. That said, I believe they sell more tix than actually attend (enter the stadium). I'm going to buy tix through StubHub as UD is having to limit season ticket holders to 4 tickets each. I have 8 people in our group that are planning to go. xthumbsupx

All I know is the place was packed when we played there. They drew 50,000 for Villanova last year as well.

andy7171
June 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
While I have been focusing down the road for the past four years, I will now be spending a little more time in College Park and be better equipped to respond. Actually, I think attendance has been fairly consistent at Byrd Stadium. The team has been moderately successful lately, but there have been individual players that can also draw the fans.

As an aside, be ready for some serious speed both at WR and at RB. They have a couple of "home run hitters" at those positions along with a solid "ball control" type back to compliment the burner. Too bad Flacco isn't available (heck he's just up I-95, so maybe he can do a cameo for his old Hen teammates). :D
Something the Twerps have seriously lacked in the last 3-4 years. That one game against Florida Atlantic was an embarrassment.

All I know is the place was packed when we played there. They drew 50,000 for Villanova last year as well.

...and I think there was a record student attendance for a football game too. I want to say like 12K.

89Hen
June 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
The game is Labor Day weekend though... usually a tough weekend to draw. Were the W&M and Nova games on that weekend? A couple years ago when the Hens opened at home Labor Day weekend they moved the game to Thursday night to try to beat the beach crowd.

LBPop
June 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Something the Twerps have seriously lacked in the last 3-4 years. That one game against Florida Atlantic was an embarrassment.

Yes, and defensive speed may be an issue at certain spots. Their best DB was the 60 meter champion for the DC area as a high school senior. After him, I'm really not sure.

Tribe4SF
June 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
The game is Labor Day weekend though... usually a tough weekend to draw. Were the W&M and Nova games on that weekend? A couple years ago when the Hens opened at home Labor Day weekend they moved the game to Thursday night to try to beat the beach crowd.

Tribe game was Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

Dukie95
June 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Part II is up..

http://inthebleachers.net/college-football-news/predicting-the-2008-fcs-upsets-part-2/

ngineer
June 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm looking forward to Villanova knocking off West Virginia so as to set up our monster upset on Sept.13xnodx

OL FU
June 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Part II is up..

http://inthebleachers.net/college-football-news/predicting-the-2008-fcs-upsets-part-2/

South Dakota State won the Gateway Conference in their first year of conference competition last season

Well I suppose it is an understandable errorxeyebrowx

T-Dog
June 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Wofford is actually the fourth smallest school in Division I but you wouldn’t have known it by the way their football team played last year.

I thought they were the smallest? xeyebrowx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Next segment is now up, but you'll have to wait for numero uno.

FCS Upsets Part 3 (http://inthebleachers.net/college-football-news/predicting-the-fcs-upsets-part-3/)

slostang
June 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Any guesses on who will the number one upset?

already123
June 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM
NAU vs ASU ?? xthumbsupx xlolx xthumbsupx

MaximumBobcat
June 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Texas State over SMU (0-11 last year) from C-USA is a good pick.

Upset at June Jone's first home game? I think so!

MaximumBobcat
June 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
TxSt over SMU?? xrolleyesx :D :D

Houndawg
June 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Any guesses on who will the number one upset?

SIU over Norhwestern?

Col Hogan
June 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM
UMass over Texas Tech!!!!!

I can dream, can't I????

slostang
June 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Cal Poly over San Diego State??? They beat them in 2006 and this is a better Cal Poly team.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Cal Poly over San Diego State??? They beat them in 2006 and this is a better Cal Poly team.

We have a winner!!!!!

FCS Upset #1 (http://inthebleachers.net/college-football-news/)

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
It won't be Montana vs anyone......we play down (DII schools) not up.

Syntax Error
June 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
We have a winner!!!!!

FCS Upset #1 (http://inthebleachers.net/college-football-news/)That is not an upset.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM

We have a winner!!!!!

FCS Upset #1 (http://inthebleachers.net/college-football-news/)

That is not an upset.

Well, you know those FBS folks, they treat any FCS win as an upset. Frankly, any regular on this site probably wouldn't call #1-7 an upset. Nor would they be surprised by a win in games #8-10.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Just re-read the other FCS wins over FBS thread. Not sure that Nicholls State over New Mexico State and Southern Illinois over Northwestern aren't as good a chance as choices #8-10. Obviously, the author's choices for #8-10 would be much more noteworthy wins.

DSUrocks07
June 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Del St. over Kent St.xwhistlex

RabidRabbit
June 23rd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Del St. over Kent St.xwhistlex

Do it Hornets!!!! xthumbsupx

After that disasterous showing in the play-offs vs Hens, I'd like to see the MEAC starting to warrant serious attention. And few games better build respect than knocking off a FBS team. xpeacex xpeacex

Houndawg
June 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Just re-read the other FCS wins over FBS thread. Not sure that Nicholls State over New Mexico State and Southern Illinois over Northwestern aren't as good a chance as choices #8-10. Obviously, the author's choices for #8-10 would be much more noteworthy wins.

SIU over Northwestern would be a better pick if it weren't early in the season.

New coach, ? at QB, new spread O, new 3-4 D.........seems like a recipie for a slow start.