PDA

View Full Version : What's your fave non-FBS, non-playoff memory?

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
There have been a lot of complaints about AGS, a general FCS discussion site, having too much App State, Michigan, LSU, & championship talk, so...

I'm interested in learning what is your favorite memory in your team's history NOT INCLUDING PLAYOFFS OR FBS GAMES. xsmiley_wix

For me, it's the "Go for Two" game versus Furman in 2002. An absolute classic!:D

Hoyadestroya85
June 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
brian westbrook scoring 6 or 7 touchdowns on Buffalo in 98 i believe

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
brian westbrook scoring 6 or 7 touchdowns on Buffalo in 98 i believe

HOLY SHNIKEYS, BATMAN!xeekx xeekx xeekx That must have been amazing. And the good thing for you is that if you wanted to see him play today, he's still in Philly :)

citdog
June 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Rb Tory Cooper scoring from 13 yards out to beat Vermin

54-51

Dane96
June 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Watching a barnburner between Hofstra and Delaware back in Fall of 94 (I think). Back and forth game...and Wayne Chrebet set some crazy receiving record that day.

No one really knew who he was...but we were all like, WTF?!?!, when we saw him.

Eaglesrus
June 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM
A recent win in Boone comes to mind, but that would relate to ASU so I won't mention it.

onbison09
June 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Goosebump material http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY&feature=related with Scotty "Kermit the Frog" Miller on the call.

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
A recent win in Boone comes to mind, but that would relate to ASU so I won't mention it.

Nah, dude, that's cool. Just no playoff or FBS stuff.

Goosebump material http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY&feature=related with Scotty "Kermit the Frog" Miller on the call.

How'd you guys get on NBC? Was that last year?

technocat
June 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
The red-headed houdini leading us to a win over UM for the first time in 16 years(2002)

AZGrizFan
June 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
The red-headed houdini leading us to a win over UM for the first time in 16 years(2002)

That's funny. Because I was going to say just about every Griz/Cat game, since I can just about hang my hat on a Griz victory. :D

BearsCountry
June 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Missouri State/Sam Houston State game in 2004. Pretty boring game until the last 2 minutes when each team scored two touchdowns each with the Bears winning on the final play of the game.

DuckDuckGriz
June 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Brian Ah Yat tossing a 46 yard hail mary and Kris Heppner kicking a FG with no time on the clock to beat the 'Cats in Bozeman, 27-25....Just as the MSU fans were about to storm the field....:D

That was 1997.

813Jag
June 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Win- 99 Bayou Classic (Jags came back from a 31-10 halftime deficit) or 03 Bayou Classic (Great Shootout on the 30th anniversery of the Classic)

Loss- 2000 FAMU (50-49 shootout Jags had 4th and Goal from the 1 and chose to kick a field goal. Ran out of time trying to score at the end of the game.)

89Hen
June 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Not sure if it's my favorite, but up there is the Hens last minute win over UMass in Amherst in 1985. It was my freshman year and four of us drove up to UMass to see the game. Band was ready to take the field in a victory song and the Hens drove the length of the field in short order and won the game. I posted a picture that I took of the winning TD here before. I'll have to see if I can find it. xthumbsupx

TwinTownBisonFan
June 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Just ONE best... hrm

If I had to pick just one - The Missoula Miracle. The catalyst for the move to D-I. Still get choked up thinking about that win, and how big it was.

Close runner up - 30k watch NDSU beat Minny.

griz8791
June 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
"Nygren's Ride."

It was 1987 or 1988. We were clinging to or 3 point lead over Idaho. They were driving to score and there was less than 2 minutes left. They were the class of the conference then and viewed us as beneath contempt. They believed they were about to notch up another routine win against us. But then Nygren steps in front of what would have been a TD pass and takes it to the house.

I have searched for video and can't find any.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
To represent my age, I'm going back to 1975 when UNH beat UMass 14-11 before 14.5K in Cowell Stadium to win the Yankee Conference AQ into the D-II playoffs. My Wildcats hadn't beaten the Redmen since 1968 and frankly UMass played a stronger OOC schedule with the Chestnut Hill Beagles still on their schedule. Many thought UNH couldn't play at UMass' level so this was a huge win for Wildcat Nation.

In more recent times, the 52-49 UNH win at the Tub over Delaware in 2006. Just an incredible back and forth game. It was a night game and sold out so it was very special to win at the Tub that night! xnodx xnodx

crusader11
June 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Two memories come to mind:

About 8-10 years Eric Johnson for Yale caught upwards of 20 passes, which I believe broke Jerry Rice's record for must catches in a FCS game.

And just last year Dom Randolph's 40 yard bomb with roughly 20 seconds remaining to Thomas Harrison to beat Harvard for the first time in nearly a decade.

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Win - SHSU blocks game-winning kick opportunity for a huge win at SFA. Believe both teams were ranked that year.

Loss - SFA's kicker misses two from short distance, only to make a 50 yarder as time expires to give the Jacks their lone win over SHSU in the last handful or so of years.

Go...gate
June 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Pretty much any Colgate, Princeton or Rutgers game I attended with my Dad and brother (and, occasionally my Mom). Whether at Palmer, Andy Kerr or Rutgers Stadium, going with them was always wonderful.

One game? Colgate 23, Rutgers 0, September 10, 1977.

saccat
June 11th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Watching Lulay single handedly beat Northern Arizona in Bozeman. He ran a QB sneak 50 some yards, shedding about 7-8 tackles for a touchdown to put us down by 5 or 6. We got the onside kick and Lulay led us to the 1 yard line in about 30 seconds. Then he dove in for the winning touchdown. Other players may have stepped up, but nothing like he did that last 2 min.

georgiaeagle
June 11th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Sorry it involves App State and my apologies to the Furman fans for digging this up again but it's just tooooooo good to leave out. The swing in emotions for both teams is what makes football so special. Will September ever get here?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IW6Yl9eYkIs

yorkcountyUNHfan
June 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
To represent my age, I'm going back to 1975 when UNH beat UMass 14-11 before 14.5K in Cowell Stadium to win the Yankee Conference AQ into the D-II playoffs. My Wildcats hadn't beaten the Redmen since 1968 and frankly UMass played a stronger OOC schedule with the Chestnut Hill Beagles still on their schedule. Many thought UNH couldn't play at UMass' level so this was a huge win for Wildcat Nation.

In more recent times, the 52-49 UNH win at the Tub over Delaware in 2006. Just an incredible back and forth game. It was a night game and sold out so it was very special to win at the Tub that night! xnodx xnodx

Thats the one I'd go with....I'm FAR to young to remember that 1975 game:p

catamount man
June 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
November 13, 2004. WCU, down 27-16 with 5:02 to play, loses starting QB Bennett Swygert to an injury. Justin Clark, who had not attempted a pass all day, comes in and leads the Catamounts to an amazing comeback over Appalachian State 30-27.

As soon as Julian Rauch missed the field goal that would've sent the game into OT, Whitmire Stadium became pandemonium on steroids. Sharing beers after the game, one with an unnamed assistant football coach who came out to the parking lot after the post game press conference, into the night was a memory of a lifetime. I look forward to that same feeling come November 22, 2008.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GOKATS
June 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Brian Ah Yat tossing a 46 yard hail mary and Kris Heppner kicking a FG with no time on the clock to beat the 'Cats in Bozeman, 27-25....Just as the MSU fans were about to storm the field....:D

That was 1997.

A$$hole!!xsmiley_wix

It took me years and thousands of cold beers to recover from that game- I really thought the streak was over and our kicker boots one out of bounds.xbawlingx xbawlingx

Without a doubt the most heartbroken I've ever been at any athletic event.

AppGirl
June 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Sorry it involves App State and my apologies to the Furman fans for digging this up again but it's just tooooooo good to leave out. The swing in emotions for both teams is what makes football so special. Will September ever get here?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IW6Yl9eYkIs

This one would get my vote, and it shows why my family NEVER leaves a game early!!!!

RazorEdge19
June 11th, 2008, 06:30 PM
This kinda violates the rules, being that it was in the playoffs, but...walking into a snow-covered Missoula, Montana and being informed that no 'warm weather' team had ever beaten UM at Wa-Griz.

..and walking out one win heavier.

If that wasn't appropriate, I'd mention a certain game vs. App 3 weeks after Michigan, but that violates another rule. xpeacex

gophoenix
June 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Elon's first game as an FCS team, 24-22 win over #12 Furman.

Or the 40-7 win over #8 A&T 3 weeks later. Not sure which was more awesome.

GreatAppSt
June 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM

It was a good game indeed, though from the stands, I was pulling for UD .;)

Dane96
June 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM
BTW, though I voted for the Hofstra-UD game in 94...mainly because it was an insane game and it was Chrebet's coming out party, I would be lying if I didn't say the #1 game for me was Albany's upset at Delaware.

Though down that year, it was still Delaware and, for the most part, we took it right at them.

Though we had been (along with CCSU and Monmouth) earning respect as a member of the growing NEC...that DAY JUST SIMPLY WAS OUR COMING OUT PARTY.

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 11:08 PM
If that wasn't appropriate, I'd mention a certain game vs. App 3 weeks after Michigan, but that violates another rule. xpeacex

Nah, that's fine... this thread is just to keep out the FBS & playoff games. xnodx

Was that '97 or '98? I remember that game because my friend played for Furman at the time. It was a shocker. It was the first time I'd ever heard of Elon.

Dream: A highlight reel of all these games. "Greatest Moments in 1-AA History." How awesome would that be?

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM

was that '97 or '98? I remember that game because my friend played for Furman at the time. It was a shocker. It was the first time I'd ever heard of Elon.

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Dream: A highlight reel of all these games. "Greatest Moments in 1-AA History." How awesome would that be?

poly51
June 12th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I will have to go back to 1980. November 15th. Cal Poly 23 Boise State 20. Boise State would go on the win the 1980 I-AA National Championship. Cal Poly would win the 1980 D-II National Championship. .

mvemjsunpx
June 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM

That was 1997.

Damn, you stole mine. Guess I'll post my second choice.

2003 against NAU in Flagstaff. NAU was favored to win behind Freshman QB Jason Murietta & the monster receiving duo of Clarence Moore & Johnny Marshall. Instead, Levander Segars scores 2 punt return TDs & the defense gets 6 sacks to lead the Griz to a 59-21 victory & further add to the Lumberjack fan inferiority complex.

appmountaineer
June 12th, 2008, 12:53 AM
This will sound wierd coming from a ASU student, but honestly one of my favorite moments was watching ASU make an incredible comeback against GSU in 2007. Even though we lost by 3, we were down 18 with 8 min left to play. It was the first time that i saw the D-line really come together as a squad all season. I believe those last 8 min helped App realize their potential for the rest of the season. So even though it was a loss, I believe it was a huge turning point in the season for the App defense.

Tribe4SF
June 12th, 2008, 12:53 AM
November 13, 2004

The W&M sideline reacts as Greg Kuehn converts a 46 yd. FG on the last play of the game to give the Tribe a 27-24 win over JMU at Bridgeforth Stadium. Lang Campbell led a 43 yard drive over the last 45 seconds to set up the kick. It was JMU's only loss to an FCS school that year.

terrierbob
June 12th, 2008, 06:26 AM
2003 WC 7 FU 6 !st win in a long time over the 'dins at their place. Furman missed a last minute FG (sounds familiar). Led to 1st SoCon championship, nice run in the playoffs.

Loss: Mud bowl, 2002- loss to Furman in the burg. Their ex FBS transfer QB led his team down the field, scored late. Great game, heartbreaker. Later, new word added to football lexicon: Woofed. As in screwed. Fu**ed. Reamed. Raped. Hosed. Violated......

andy7171
June 12th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Easy answer for me. Being on the bottom of the pile and hearing 22,000 Blue Hen fans go silent as we score on a 4th and goal with only seconds left in the 4th quarter to win 32-30 in 1993!

OL FU
June 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM
There have been a lot of complaints about AGS, a general FCS discussion site, having too much App State, Michigan, LSU, & championship talk, so...

I'm interested in learning what is your favorite memory in your team's history NOT INCLUDING PLAYOFFS OR FBS GAMES. xsmiley_wix

For me, it's the "Go for Two" game versus Furman in 2002. An absolute classic!:D

I knew I should have continued to avoid this threadxrolleyesx

OL FU
June 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM
2003 WC 7 FU 6 !st win in a long time over the 'dins at their place. Furman missed a last minute FG (sounds familiar). Led to 1st SoCon championship, nice run in the playoffs.

Loss: Mud bowl, 2002- loss to Furman in the burg. Their ex FBS transfer QB led his team down the field, scored late. Great game, heartbreaker. Later, new word added to football lexicon: Woofed. As in screwed. Fu**ed. Reamed. Raped. Hosed. Violated......

I am confused on who you are speaking about? I didn't realize that Napier transferred from anywhere. I know he played four years at Furmanxnodx

CSUBUCDAD
June 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Gotta be 2005 Chuck South vs Coastal. Jerome Simpson takes the snap in punt formation. All he has to do is run around for 10 seconds and run the clock out but he boneheadedly run out of bounds with just enough time for one play. Drafts comes in and hits Maurice Price for the TD. Bucs convert the 2 pointer to win with no time left on the clock and take a share of the Big South title.

RabidRabbit
June 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Win - SDSU beating NDSU for the Dakota Marker last year. Two plays stick out as defining plays of the day. 96 yard punt return, with a roughing the receiver penalty just before he caught the ball. Then, in the 4th qtr, right after Bison had taken their only lead of the game, Corey's plunge into the line on 4th and inches at 44, only to break two tackles, bounce to the outside and run, untouched past the line of scrimmage for the go ahead td.

Loss - The amazing Ga Southern - SDSU game in '07. Jacks dig a hole going in 21 pts down at half. Come back to take lead by 2, only to miss a short FG, then lose to a poor FG kicker kicking a 47 yd FG as time expires. What a wonderful, emotional roller coaster ride. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xbawlingx xbawlingx

blueballs
June 12th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Win - SDSU beating NDSU for the Dakota Marker last year. Two plays stick out as defining plays of the day. 96 yard punt return, with a roughing the receiver penalty just before he caught the ball. Then, in the 4th qtr, right after Bison had taken their only lead of the game, Corey's plunge into the line on 4th and inches at 44, only to break two tackles, bounce to the outside and run, untouched past the line of scrimmage for the go ahead td.

Loss - The amazing Ga Southern - SDSU game in '07. Jacks dig a hole going in 21 pts down at half. Come back to take lead by 2, only to miss a short FG, then lose to an all conference FG kicker kicking a 57 yd FG as time expires. What a wonderful, emotional roller coaster ride. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Edited for accuracy...

blackfordpu
June 12th, 2008, 07:11 AM
2007 Kats comeback from 18 points down in the fourth quarter to beat Tx-St 29-28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcaFRwxyaj4

RAMS83
June 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Fordham 19 - Holy Cross 24 Limerick Ireland 1991 20,000 but felt like 50,000.. The fans were cheering throughout - granted some of the songs were soccer themes - since they dont get much US football over there. Great experience. After the game they wanted autographs, photographs and/or any tiny piece of equipment as a momento.. chinstrap - wristband whatever.. Felt like an NFL player for one day. :)

UCABEARS75
June 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM
In our short history of FCS football we have already had some very memorable games.

The televised wins over Sam Houston and Texas State were meaningful.

However, the win at Georgia Southern the last game of 2006 was simply and incredible feeling. While I realize they had a down year that season, they had taken App St to overtime just a week or two before. Seeing those 6 national championship flags flying on a beautiful southern fall afternoon and seeing our winning field goal almost took my breath away.

By the way, we were treated very well by our host that afternoon at the tailgating festivities at GSU.

Tealblood
June 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Gotta be 2005 Chuck South vs Coastal. Jerome Simpson takes the snap in punt formation. All he has to do is run around for 10 seconds and run the clock out but he boneheadedly run out of bounds with just enough time for one play. Drafts comes in and hits Maurice Price for the TD. Bucs convert the 2 pointer to win with no time left on the clock and take a share of the Big South title.

were you drunk at the time the game went to overtime

Tealblood
June 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM
for CCU the 3 biggest thrills that come to mind

our 1st football game ever scoring a touchdown over newberry in the final minute to win 21-14

the 2nd was highlighted by Jerome Simpsons one-handed diving catch to keep the drive going that beat defending National Champion and current #1 James mdison

the 3rd was the blocked extra point against Furman that we converted for 2 that helped us beat Furman

ebirToG
June 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
One of my favorites memories as a player (W & M) was 1990 homecoming win against Furman 38 - 28. Furman knocked us out of the playoffs in 1989 24 - 10 and were so cocky they were selling tickets to their next playoff game over the PA system at half-time.

That pissed us off... the game the next year was one of the hardest hitting intense games I have ever played in and it was nice payback.

Eaglesrus
June 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
In our short history of FCS football we have already had some very memorable games.

The televised wins over Sam Houston and Texas State were meaningful.

However, the win at Georgia Southern the last game of 2007 was simply and incredible feeling. While I realize they had a down year that season, they had taken App St to overtime just a week or two before. Seeing those 6 national championship flags flying on a beautiful southern fall afternoon and seeing our winning field goal almost took my breath away.

By the way, we were treated very well by our host that afternoon at the tailgating festivities at GSU.

Minor point I know, but that was 2006. Glad you enjoyed the tailgating!

UCABEARS75
June 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Minor point I know, but that was 2006. Glad you enjoyed the tailgating!

My bad. As an accounting major from UCA this whole "date thing" confuses me.

I knew the game was year before last. This year is 2008. Oh well, you get the picture.

p.s. Corrected the year.

Ivytalk
June 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
The '74 Harvard-Yale Game, where Milt "Hawaiian Pineapple" Holt plunged in for the winning TD with 15 seconds left.

terrierbob
June 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I am confused on who you are speaking about? I didn't realize that Napier transferred from anywhere. I know he played four years at Furmanxnodx

The big tall QB? I thought he was backup somewhere and wasn't getting playing time. Maybe '02 was the wrong year.

OL FU
June 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
The big tall QB? I thought he was backup somewhere and wasn't getting playing time. Maybe '02 was the wrong year.

I assume you are thinking of Martin who was QB in '04 and '05.

Billy Napier was QB in '01 and '02, Moore in '03, Martin, as listed above.

Uncle Buck
June 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Watching a barnburner between Hofstra and Delaware back in Fall of 94 (I think). Back and forth game...and Wayne Chrebet set some crazy receiving record that day.

No one really knew who he was...but we were all like, WTF?!?!, when we saw him.

Great game, 41-41 tie. Also the last college game of my career. Dave Ettinger kicked a 48 yarder to tie it late in the game. Chrebet scored 5 TD's that game and tied Jerry Rice who held the single game record at that time. I think I have it on tape somewhere.

TheValleyRaider
June 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Colgate beating Lehigh in 2003. QB Chris Brown threw 4 INTs in the 1st quarter, but we only trailed 10-0. They got a TD back, then in the 4th, Brown ran in the game-winning TD on a naked bootleg

Colgate rallies from a 28-0 deficit to beat Dartmouth 31-28 in OT this past season. Didn't get to see it, had to listen on the radio instead

Lionsrking
June 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I will have to go back to 1980. November 15th. Cal Poly 23 Boise State 20. Boise State would go on the win the 1980 I-AA National Championship. Cal Poly would win the 1980 D-II National Championship. .

We beat Boise State that same year in Boise, 17-13, in our very first game as a member of I-AA. We held them to negative yardage in the first half and pretty much beat the hell out of them physically. Could have been a lot worse. We finished 8-2 (lost to Troy and NW State) but weren't eligible for the playoffs that year. But we did beat the National Champion at their place.

As for other memories, a special one would be watching Robbie Mahfouz lead a second half comeback over UL-Monroe (then Northeast Louisiana) in 1981. We were down by four TDs but stormed back to win, 50-47. It was homecoming and there were a bunch of folks who actually left the stadium and came back twice!!!

The greatest has to be the return of football and opening kickoff, 2003, against Arkansas-Monticello. Later in the game, Martin Hankins hit Choni Francis for the game winner!!

Beating McNeese 51-17 on the road in our second year back (2004) was pretty fun as well. Turned out not to be such a great accomplishment but at the time they were ranked 6th and we were still trying to get kids lined up correctly.

carney2
June 12th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Any and every time that I feast on ChickenSquawk. Keep 'em coming 'cause the thrill never ends.

RabidRabbit
June 12th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit

Loss - The amazing Ga Southern - SDSU game in '07. Jacks dig a hole going in 21 pts down at half. Come back to take lead by 2, only to miss a short FG, then lose to an all conference FG kicker kicking a 57 yd FG as time expires. What a wonderful, emotional roller coaster ride.

Edited for accuracy...

Great game either way! :p xsmiley_wix

spoogemcgee18
June 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Richie Williams 40-45 passing vs. Furman and rushing for the winning TD.

WrenFGun
June 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Some UNH games have already been mentioned, and some of my other choices (@Marshall, @UNI [loss]) have already been eliminated because of FBS/playoffs, so I'll go with another.

WIN-David Ball catches his record breaking touchdown in front of the home audience and gets an enormous standing ovation in what I believe was a sold out Cowell Stadium. What a moment.

LOSS-At home against UMass in 2006. UNH down 24-3 after halftime, drives to the two yard line but can't get in and falls 24-17.

Dane96
June 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Great game, 41-41 tie. Also the last college game of my career. Dave Ettinger kicked a 48 yarder to tie it late in the game. Chrebet scored 5 TD's that game and tied Jerry Rice who held the single game record at that time. I think I have it on tape somewhere.

Yep...that was a freaking bomb off his foot. Who was the starting QB for the Blue Hens. I remember him having a REALLY STRONG ARM.

I was rooting for Hofstra (Owen Gardner was the roommate of my high school best friend who captained the baseball team).

bulldog10jw
June 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM
The '74 Harvard-Yale Game, where Milt "Hawaiian Pineapple" Holt plunged in for the winning TD with 15 seconds left.

I thought you would have picked the '75 game that Harvard won with the 26 yard FG that traveled (barely) 27 yards. If I remember correctly, that was H's first outright Ivy title. xbawlingx

X-Factor
June 12th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Win: SHSU. Although the UCD comeback a few years ago was probably much more impressive since there was quite a few necessary 4th and long conversions on the last drive.

Loss: Minnesota in 06 :-( Those Gophers were being manhandled in all aspects of the game except the scoreboard. It was horribly lopsided on the field but we could never punch it in for a TD. Even without any TD's the score should have been lopsided, but you suppose we could hit a fieldgoal? nope... Result, lose 10-9

Saint3333
June 12th, 2008, 06:56 PM
1995 a 10-0 ASU squad heads down to Charleston to take on the 2-8 dogs.

Citadel put up a heck of a fight, but in the last few seconds a player that hadn't caught a TD all year comes down with the ball on a haphazardly thrown pass.

1992 ASU needs 3 TDs in the last 5 minutes to beat JMU, best ASU comeback ever.

Miracle on the Mountain has to be up there too.

Ivytalk
June 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I thought you would have picked the '75 game that Harvard won with the 26 yard FG that traveled (barely) 27 yards. If I remember correctly, that was H's first outright Ivy title. xbawlingx

You're right, bulldog, but the '75 game was -- face it -- a boring 10-7 affair. The '74 game was 21-16 with lots of razzle-dazzle.

I really enjoyed the '99 Game -- won by Yale -- for the same reason: lots of action!xbowx

SoCon48
June 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
What's the chance of getting an Ivy to schedule App?

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM
What's the chance of getting an Ivy to schedule App?

About the same as UNC scheduling App, but for different reasons:D

GaSouthern
June 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Most Recent Away Moment... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAaSBqOBeQI

Most Recent Home Moment... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x3Twthtmsk

GaSouthern
June 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Richie Williams 40-45 passing vs. Furman and rushing for the winning TD.

One of the greatest moments in College Football History! xnodx

HiHiYikas
June 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Has to be the ASU-Furman game on October 12, 2002.

The first time my new (at the time) wife got to attend an ASU game with my entire immediate family. That's seven of us, counting her. Dad had been taking us to ASU games since the Sparky Woods era, but it had been a long time since all of us got to go together.

I have a picture of all of us from that day. It was taken at the top of the east stands, with beautiful KBS behind us. We're all in black (the only acceptable ASU gameday color, at least for my family), smiling, with "BEAT FURMAN" signs in our hands. It's a wonderful family picture, one I've blown up and keep hanging up at home and in my office.

I can't say anything about the game that hasn't been said. I won't go there.

Before that day, I had never been a part of an ASU postgame field rush. The game ended, and - against my better judgement - I looked at my family and said "I'll find you guys later." I darted off towards the field, from the corner of the southwest end zone. I was one of very few fans to rush from that angle, making it fairly easy to pick me out in ESPN replays.

I congratulated several players before helping to carry one of the goalposts. I remember being extremely nervous that someone was going to get hurt or someone's car damaged. It's good to be tall when it comes to passing the posts over fences and cars.

(As a side note, the days of goalpost-toppling celebrations at ASU should be over. That level of potentially-dangerous on-field pandemonium, after all ASU has accomplished the past few years would be like - to paraphrase Rick Reilly - celebrating when Brad Pitt gets the girl in a movie. If the Mountaineers knock off LSU in August, I could see another 'orderly' goalpost celebration like the one following the Michigan victory. That's it at this point.)

Anyway, as I walked up Stadium Drive to find my family, I gave a high-five to a guy driving by in an SUV. As I did this, my wedding band flew off my hand into the crowded street. All the excitement whooshed out of me, as I was sure I'd never see my ring again. Amazingly, a young woman caught the ring as it rolled down the pavement and called out to me "is this yours?" I could have kissed her.

Even without taking the outcome of the game into account, it was a wonderful day.

SoCon48
June 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
About the same as UNC scheduling App, but for different reasons:D

That slim, huh?

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
1. Stomping Middle Tennessee State in the "Hugo Bowl" in 1989.
2. "Miracle on the Mountain" - watched it on TV, and I won't ever forget it.
3. Knocking Furman from #1 in 2005 and staying alive for the playoffs.

LarryBoy
June 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Wow, way too many favorite memories AGAINST Furman....

My favorite has to be 2004, Georgia Southern, Homecoming, 17,000+ at Paladin Stadium, Freshman year at Furman, #3 vs. #2, the Ike West point to the end zone, 29-22 Furman, storm the field. Good times.

The 2002 Mud Bowl at Wofford (by the way Billy Napier was definitely not a transfer...perhaps such knowledge would have kept the Wofford students from burning him in effigy the night before?) is also definitely up there...as a Spartanburg native, seeing Furman give birth to "Woofed" is very satisfying. I respect you guys, but I love to see you lose.

And finally, the 2005 win over App. I've really been clinging to that memory ever since...