PDA

View Full Version : 2008 FCS over FBS Upsets?

appmountaineer
June 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
With all this talk about ASU and LSU, or JSU playing Georgia Tech, I'm wondering which FCS school really has the best shot at beating a FBS team.

So for me my vote goes to JMU over Duke. Even though Duke brought in a few good recruits and a new coach, I don't think they'll have it together by that game. Probably not even for a few years. My guess is JMU will pull it out by 7. Maybe 28-21?

But, Although that game is an upset, it wouldn't be as big as the Cowboys over the Tar Heels.

So what are your opinions?

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
With all this talk about ASU and LSU, or JSU playing Georgia Tech, I'm wondering which FCS school really has the best shot at beating a FBS team.

So for me my vote goes to JMU over Duke. Even though Duke brought in a few good recruits and a new coach, I don't think they'll have it together by that game. Probably not even for a few years. My guess is JMU will pull it out by 7. Maybe 28-21?

But, Although that game is an upset, it wouldn't be as big as the Cowboys over the Tar Heels.

So what are your opinions?

I agree on the JMU upset. JSU stands no shot over GT. GT's DL (Vance Walker, Michael Johnson, etc.) should dominate the trenches. GT has 4 possible first day NFL Draft picks next year and JSU doesn't have the speed and experience to hang more than 2 quarters.

OLDMAIN80
June 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I think Wofford has a better than average chance to put one on "the old ball coach" and his bunch of hoodlum chickens

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Nicholls State over New Mexico State would not surprise me. That option beat Rice last year and it's going to be hot as heck in September,.

If Nicholls can keep control of the ball and run circles around the Aggies, it could be trouble for NMST. NMST almost lost to Ark-Pine Bluff last year or the year before, so they aren't that good a squad.

kirkblitz
June 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Coastal over Penn State :D :D :D :D

danefan
June 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
UNH over Army maybe? Depends on how UNH fills the QB role.

bostonspider
June 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I think Duke has learned their lesson after the UR loss two years ago and will take care of JMU. I am hopeful that UR will be able to give UVA a battle, especially as UVA takes on Southern Cal the week before and could be a bit beat up. UR also hired UVA's defensive coordinator as their new HC, and UVA has lost a lot in this off season. But UR will be coming in off a tough game at Elon, and UVA was a bowl team last year, so this might be too optimistic.

elcid96
June 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM

I could see this one and will add it to my upset pics

catamount man
June 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
WCU over a depleted Florida State team. Half of their roster won't be dressed out. Hey, I can hope. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

catbob
June 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
MSU has an outside shot against Minnesota. But the Cats are kind of in a transition period right now, so I don't see us hanging within 14.

WestRiverBison
June 11th, 2008, 03:09 PM
NDSU versus Wyoming should be an interesting game. Can we make it 4-1 versus FBS?

jaxstatealum
June 11th, 2008, 03:10 PM
JSU doesn't have the speed and experience to hang more than 2 quarters.

As much as it pains me to admit it - I gotta agree xbawlingx We can hang until the half, but then we'll be done. Same thing has happened each time we went to Miss State. :(

Anyway, I too think Duke will lose. Oh and if the moons allign and the gods smile upon the Cocks and we beat GT - I will be one unbearable bragging posting fool xnodx xsmiley_wix :D

aust42
June 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
New Hampshire over Army is a lock. Even with Ricky Santos gone, their backup is more than capable of taking over. Army barely beat 2-9 Rhode Island last year 14-7 in Overtime and lost to Holy Cross back in 2002. Army is horrible. NH has beaten FBS Marshall, Northwestern, and Rutgers since 2004.

JMU over Duke is another winner. Richmond beat Duke in 2006 13-0 and Duke is still the same horrible team they always are.

The CAA was 2-7 vs FBS teams in 2007 & 2006. This year every CAA team plays a FBS team (Northeastern plays two FBS teams). I see two locks wins noted above, and of course my Bluehens will probably beat the Maryland Twerps xsmiley_wix , besides that I don't see any other wins for the CAA against FBS teams.

onbison09
June 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
NDSU versus Wyoming should be an interesting game. Can we make it 4-1 versus FBS?

I will never doubt a Coach Bohl team. I think we can do it but it's gonna be tough.

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
WCU over a depleted Florida State team. Half of their roster won't be dressed out. Hey, I can hope. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

From this Seminole fan, all I can say is "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Sadly, your facts are accuratel, but I don't think Western will have improved enough from last year to beat any BCS conference team. In a couple of years, they might be able to be a traditional BCS team that is in a similar predicament.

Anyway, I too think Duke will lose.

How accurate it would be to call JMU over Duke an "upset"? Cutcliffe will make Duke better, but I doubt this soon. Remember: Duke won ONE game last year, and JMU's got a good squad. Until the Dookies give me a reason otherwise ON THE FIELD, I wouldn't pick them against any FBS team or any top-tier FCS.

RabidRabbit
June 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
SDSU over the ISU Cyclones is a reasonable chance.

Poly taking down the "other" SDSU in San Diego is a reasonable shot also.

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I will never doubt a Coach Bohl team. I think we can do it but it's gonna be tough.

Why the heck did NDSU wait so long to join FCS? I'll be honest: I'm glad App didn't have to face you guys last year. I still would have liked our chances, but you guys have a stud program up there.

NDSU has a great shot vs. Wyoming. I don't know the details about either team's strengths/weaknesses, but I bet Wyoming's only advantages are more scholly players & home field.

onbison09
June 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Why the heck did NDSU wait so long to join FCS? I'll be honest: I'm glad App didn't have to face you guys last year. I still would have liked our chances, but you guys have a stud program up there.

NDSU has a great shot vs. Wyoming. I don't know the details about either team's strengths/weaknesses, but I bet Wyoming's only advantages are more scholly players & home field.

I have asked myself that question at least 287308974624297621786 times. Thanks for the respect!!

Umass74
June 11th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I think UNH will beat Army even with Army's switch to the option.

That game will give us a good handle on just how well New Hampshire will do without Santos.

TheBisonator
June 11th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Why the heck did NDSU wait so long to join FCS?

We had mentally retarded people running our university for 30 years.

NDSU is a rare case of a school that spent a very very long time in a place it didn't belong. The opposite of say, High Point or New Jersey Tech being in DI.

Thundering_Herd
June 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I would love to see Montana State stick it to Mini-sota and Punky Brewster!! I can't wait to see if Brewster will shoot his mouth off again this year (he referred to NDSU as: The little guys in green).

I love the chances NDSU has in Laramie against Wyoming! I just hope the equipment guy brings enough oxygen for them big boys! (elevation 7,200) Should be a fun road trip and tailgating experience!!

Seeing Cal Poly beat San Diego State would be cool. But, I'd love to see them take down Wisconsin too! IMHO, Cal Poly is an underrated team this year (top 5?) and may have a pretty good chance at Wisconsin. Good luck to you fellas on your challenging schedule! See you in the post season(?)

As for the Jacks...I don't care for them much (but like them 100 times more than the UND Fighting Sioux!), but i think they'll put up one helluva fight at Iowa State. I can't wait to play ISU in '09!

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I think Wofford has a better than average chance to put one on "the old ball coach" and his bunch of hoodlum chickens

I would like to see that but Wofford lost too much on defense. If you guys had a stellar defense coming back then I would say yes because their offense is not that good. South Carolina has a great defense and I don't see them giving up anymore than 20 against Wofford. However, I am pulling for you and hope you can do it. Just don't see it happening with Wofford's lack of experience coming back on defense. I was under the impression Filmon Dawkins was coming back and recently heard he is gone as well.

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Coastal over Penn State :D :D :D :D

I would love that. Bennett probably won't do it but I am pulling for it. If not this year, one day they will for sure. xthumbsupx

Zoo
June 11th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I can really see the following:

New Hampshire over Army
McNeese State over North Carolina
JMU over Duke
NDSU over Wyoming (Boy, I loved the way NDSU killed CMU last year.) xlolx

mmiller_34
June 11th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I think SDSU has a legit chance at beating Iowa State

Eaglesrus
June 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
What, nobody calling GSU over UGA? Well, me neither.

CID1990
June 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM

New Hampshire over Army
JMU over Duke
NDSU over Wyoming (Boy, I loved the way NDSU killed CMU last year.) xlolx

The time for an FCS upset over UNC has passed.

Seawolf97
June 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM

This could be a reality. UNH is undefeated against FBS opponents and Northwestern wasobably tougher than Army anyday.

catamount man
June 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM
North Dakota State WILL beat Wyoming. I am calling it right now!!!

Make us proud Bison. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
June 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM
JMU over Duke. Even if Cutcliffe is "The One" for Duke football, it isn't happening on Day 1, and certainly not against the Dukes (at least, if they really are as good as we all seem to think they are this year)

Cal Poly over San Diego St. Aztecs really aren't very good, and Cal Poly sure looks it

UNH over Army is probable, though we'll see if the next Wildcat QB can replace the intangibles that Santos brought to the field

I actually don't see NDSU over Wyoming. The Cowboys can be tough at home, and are at least capable of starting the season strong

APPALACHIANstate
June 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I think NDSU will keep it close, it all depends on how the cards fall in the 4th qtr.

BBB
June 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM

Not going to happen. The Heels are DEEP on the D-line. I'd be very surprised if Butch Davis loses this ballgame. Folks this one could get ugly.

McNeese75
June 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Not going to happen. The Heels are DEEP on the D-line. I'd be very surprised if Butch Davis loses this ballgame. Folks this one could get ugly.

xrolleyesx xcoffeex

BBB
June 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
The time for an FCS upset over UNC has passed.

You beat me to it.

BBB
June 11th, 2008, 10:14 PM
xrolleyesx xcoffeex

All I'm saying is this isn't a terrible Carolina team you'll line up against. They return EVERYBODY off of a team that lost 5 games by less than 7 points. Last year's Tar Heel team was a team that could've very easily been 10-2. Most of the guys on that team were either true freshman, or redshirt Fr. and Sophomores.

You'll be sadly mistaken if you think this is some talentless team you'll line up against. Ask James Madison.

Lionsrking
June 11th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Nicholls State over New Mexico State would not surprise me. That option beat Rice last year and it's going to be hot as heck in September,.

If Nicholls can keep control of the ball and run circles around the Aggies, it could be trouble for NMST. NMST almost lost to Ark-Pine Bluff last year or the year before, so they aren't that good a squad.

Having played New Mexico State the last two years, I think Nicholls can hang tough for a half, maybe three quarters, but I'm not sure they can pull off the upset. NM State returns just about all their weapons on offense and they chunk it around the yard as well as anyone. And defensively, they aren't as bad as you think, especially compared to FCS teams. Outside of Kansas, they were the best defensive team we played last year. They did struggle with UAPB but were decimated with injuries at the time they played and knowing Hal and Woody, they probably didn't even watch tape that week.

bosshogg
June 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM

if you guys keep your turnovers low, you have a better than average chance....good luck....i am sure that you will fare better than we will against Clemson....even with Malcolm Long at the helm!

biobengal
June 12th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Not strictly a FCS-FBS matchup but Idaho State over Idaho is a possibility. xrolleyesx

aust42
June 12th, 2008, 09:03 AM
This could be a reality. UNH is undefeated against FBS opponents and Northwestern wasobably tougher than Army anyday.

FYI: NH is not undefeated against FBS opponents. They lost 34-7 to Kent State in 2002 and lost 40-33 to Central Michigan in 2003.

CSUBUCDAD
June 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM
With Miami losing 29 players, and the fact they have nobody at QB, Chuck South has an outside shot at pulling off a win. Would that be bigger than App over Michigan?

89Hen
June 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
With Miami losing 29 players, and the fact they have nobody at QB, Chuck South has an outside shot at pulling off a win. Would that be bigger than App over Michigan?
Miami (FL)?.... yes, that would be bigger than App over UM. App was the two-time defending champion... AFAIK Chuck South has never beaten a ranked I-AA.

WrenFGun
June 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
You guys are making it seem like UNH should be the favorite in the army matchup! They've faired well against FBS teams with Santos, we'll see how Toman brings it. UNH's defense couldn't do anything against Marshall in the second half, but Santos was good enough to carry the offense.

Not to mention, UNH has struggled against the option (and, well, everything else on defense), though they do look to have their best defense in awhile coming in this season. If Toman can perform like he did last season, you have to like their chances as one of the better upset possibilities.

89Hen
June 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM
You guys are making it seem like UNH should be the favorite in the army matchup! They've faired well against FBS teams with Santos, we'll see how Toman brings it. UNH's defense couldn't do anything against Marshall in the second half, but Santos was good enough to carry the offense.

Not to mention, UNH has struggled against the option (and, well, everything else on defense), though they do look to have their best defense in awhile coming in this season. If Toman can perform like he did last season, you have to like their chances as one of the better upset possibilities.
Even though Santos is gone, the team has to have a lot of confidence going 4-0 in their last 4 to I-A teams and after watching URI almost beat Army (should have won) last year, I would call it a pick-em game. xnodx

AmsterBison
June 12th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Meh. Since when do we consider just any old FCS win over an FBS team an upset? Gotta scrap that mentality. :)

McNeese75
June 12th, 2008, 10:08 AM
All I'm saying is this isn't a terrible Carolina team you'll line up against. They return EVERYBODY off of a team that lost 5 games by less than 7 points. Last year's Tar Heel team was a team that could've very easily been 10-2. Most of the guys on that team were either true freshman, or redshirt Fr. and Sophomores.

You'll be sadly mistaken if you think this is some talentless team you'll line up against. Ask James Madison.

I do not expect McNeese to beat UNC. I realize under their current coach they have been improving and I expect them to a load for the Pokes. Anything less than a 2 TD loss would be a great effort, more than 28 points will be a disappointing blowout but is certainly a possibility. It just tickles me how some people on this board think their team is going to go into a completely different more hostile FBS environment against what will probably be a considerable better team than UNC and predict a 4-10 point loss or a win. McNeese at UNC could get ugly but the other game is going to be very very very very very competitive xcoolx xwhistlex xlolx

I will be at the UNC game and recording the other. Luck to all xthumbsupx

I-AA Fan
June 12th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I would love to see Montana State stick it to Mini-sota and Punky Brewster!! I can't wait to see if Brewster will shoot his mouth off again this year (he referred to NDSU as: The little guys in green).

I love the chances NDSU has in Laramie against Wyoming! I just hope the equipment guy brings enough oxygen for them big boys! (elevation 7,200) Should be a fun road trip and tailgating experience!!

Seeing Cal Poly beat San Diego State would be cool. But, I'd love to see them take down Wisconsin too! IMHO, Cal Poly is an underrated team this year (top 5?) and may have a pretty good chance at Wisconsin. Good luck to you fellas on your challenging schedule! See you in the post season(?)

As for the Jacks...I don't care for them much (but like them 100 times more than the UND Fighting Sioux!), but i think they'll put up one helluva fight at Iowa State. I can't wait to play ISU in '09!

Most of us old-timers still think of Marshall when someone says "thundering herd".

CID1990
June 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
if you guys keep your turnovers low, you have a better than average chance....good luck....i am sure that you will fare better than we will against Clemson....even with Malcolm Long at the helm!

Wouldn't THIS be a great turnout......

Wofford beats SCU

The Citadel beats clempson

SCu fires Spurrier

clempson fires... well.... clempson will never fire Bowden. He has them hypMOtized.

elcid96
June 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Wouldn't THIS be a great turnout......

Wofford beats SCU

The Citadel beats clempson

SCu fires Spurrier

clempson fires... well.... clempson will never fire Bowden. He has them hypMOtized.

SCu would never fire spurrier either. He has them hypnotized as well.xrotatehx

IndianaAppMan
June 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
SCu would never fire spurrier either. He has them hypnotized as well.xrotatehx

South Carolina is the Chicago Cubs of college football (until the Cubs hopefully prove otherwise). They're rarely terrible, but they can't ever just break on through, even for an SEC East title.

Look at what Spurrier's up against:

Except for once or twice every dozen years when they have respectable seasons (2000-01), one of the following scenarios has been as dependable as the sun throughout SC football history: (a) they're flat-out terribe & lucky to win 2 or 3 games; (b) they overachieve early then lose close games to good teams and fall apart at the end; (c) win-lose-win-win-lose-lose-lose-win-lose... the posterboys of inconsistency; or (d) they're talented enough to win or finish high in any other conference, but then they get crushed by its SEC foes and go 5-7. None of that is new to the Spurrier era.

The worst part is that SC fans aare as supportive/loyal as any top-notch program in the country, again, like Cubs fans.

Steve Spurrier is making SC as good as it possibly can be, and they might be better next year, but if he can't make this team win an SEC title, no one can.

Col Hogan
June 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM
UMass over Texas Tech........

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

It will be a good experience for our secondary...but.....xwhistlex

TxnYote
June 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I think SDSU has a legit chance at beating Iowa State

I agree. The Rabbits should travel well to Ames, and forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't this y'all's first shot at a FBS team? Iowa State struggles to stay on par with Baylor in the Big XII and I think y'all can compete. They're losing a lot of their offense from last year and that should bode well for you.

I know I'm a 'Yote, but I'd really like to see y'all embarrass the 'clowns at their place.

EWashEagle
June 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe Eastern Washington can loosen up Texas Tech in the opener for Umass....I'm hoping EWU can give Colorado a scare in week two.

813Jag
June 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Miami will be young at QB, but their two QBs are two of the top QBs in Florida. There's lots of talent at Miami it's just really young talent.

JohnStOnge
June 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I take it no decent FCS teams are playing anybody in the Sun Belt?

BDKJMU
June 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I think Duke has learned their lesson after the UR loss two years ago and will take care of JMU. I am hopeful that UR will be able to give UVA a battle, especially as UVA takes on Southern Cal the week before and could be a bit beat up. UR also hired UVA's defensive coordinator as their new HC, and UVA has lost a lot in this off season. But UR will be coming in off a tough game at Elon, and UVA was a bowl team last year, so this might be too optimistic.

Yeah, Duke learned their lesson so much after the UR loss in 06' that they preceded to 1-22 their next 23 games...xlolx xlolx xlolx

Duke:
02' 2-10
03' 4-8
04' 2-9 (One win was against the Citadel 28-10)
05' 1-10 (Win was aginst VMI 40-14)
06' 0-12, (including loss to UR 13-0. JMU beat UR 27-10 that season).
07' 1-11

So going back the last 3 seasons, Duke is 2-33. They are 1-32 vs I-A.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=150

Sure JMU might not beat Duke. But JMU has a heck of a lot better chance than UR over UVA.

Thundering_Herd
June 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Most of us old-timers still think of Marshall when someone says "thundering herd".

Yes, i know, but Marshall is gonzo. Us Bison faithful often refer to ourselves as 'the Thundering Herd', have ever since I was a wee lad and waaaaay before that! They're gone and we are the new Thundering Herd that you should worry about.

Cal Poly over Wisconsin at Camp Randall??? CP is under-rated,...wait and see I guess. Past and (some) present Great West teams are gonna kick ass this season...

GeauxLions94
June 12th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Not that bad in Las Cruces temp-wise. Nicholls will have to battle the altitude and low humidity (we had cramping issues against NMSU in both games, though we had a pretty good routine for last year's game and started losing guys late in the game).

NMSU will have new DC to replace Woody Widenhofer's 3-4, so look for Aggies to be better.

I do agree though that Colonels can pull the win. Secondary will be tested by Air Raid with Chase Holbrook (who signed with Southeastern in 2004) at QB.

GeauxLions94
June 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Having played New Mexico State the last two years, I think Nicholls can hang tough for a half, maybe three quarters, but I'm not sure they can pull off the upset. NM State returns just about all their weapons on offense and they chunk it around the yard as well as anyone. And defensively, they aren't as bad as you think, especially compared to FCS teams. Outside of Kansas, they were the best defensive team we played last year. They did struggle with UAPB but were decimated with injuries at the time they played and knowing Hal and Woody, they probably didn't even watch tape that week.

Hal and Woody (especially Woody) watched game tape??? Woody was too busy at Brady's or Herb's Pub xbeerchugx

URMite
June 12th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Duke learned their lesson so much after the UR loss in 06' that they preceded to 1-22 their next 23 games...xlolx xlolx xlolx

Duke:
02' 2-10
03' 4-8
04' 2-9 (One win was against the Citadel 28-10)
05' 1-10 (Win was aginst VMI 40-14)
06' 0-12, (including loss to UR 13-0. JMU beat UR 27-10 that season).
07' 1-11

So going back the last 3 seasons, Duke is 2-33. They are 1-32 vs I-A.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=150

Sure JMU might not beat Duke. But JMU has a heck of a lot better chance than UR over UVA.

I agree that JMU should have a very good chance against Duke. The main question mark is how much has the new coach helped yet. Plus any BCS team doesn't seem to go down without a fight. We needed some big plays to keep that shutout.

On the other hand, I think just as UNC was close to being good last year, UVA was close to being bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=258&year=2007

They can occassionally play very well but not consistently. So it could get ugly, but there is also a decent chance that you shouldn't count us out in that game.

TxnYote
June 13th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Yes, i know, but Marshall is gonzo. Us Bison faithful often refer to ourselves as 'the Thundering Herd', have ever since I was a wee lad and waaaaay before that! They're gone and we are the new Thundering Herd that you should worry about.

Cal Poly over Wisconsin at Camp Randall??? CP is under-rated,...wait and see I guess. Past and (some) present Great West teams are gonna kick ass this season...

Look man, I'm a younger 'Yote, so don't take this as sour grapes, but Ron Paul stands a better chance of being elected President than an FCS school winning in Camp Randall. I dislike U-Dub with a passion, but that is an intimidating venue for FBS, let alone an FCS school.

RabidRabbit
June 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Look man, I'm a younger 'Yote, so don't take this as sour grapes, but Ron Paul stands a better chance of being elected President than an FCS school winning in Camp Randall. I dislike U-Dub with a passion, but that is an intimidating venue for FBS, let alone an FCS school.

And as a late season close-out vs. beginning of season, Poly's mainly looking to stay healthy for play-offs, and to take home a $$$ payday.

Scooter
June 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I gotta agree. Cal Poly will not win this game. For one thing they don't travel well. Also, hard to win in that place if you are ion the big 10 let alone the Great West. Maybe, aftere losing the top two teams from last year they should change their name to the Average West.

I like NDSU's chances with Wyoming. This should be a great game to watch and will be close.

Aho_Old_Guy
June 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Gonna be a tough year for the FCS over FBS.

#1 - JSU over Georgia Tech might be the best shot - - New coach for GT, not that many starters back with BC & VT the next 2 weeks after JSU. Johnson's offense might take some time to get going ... if the 'Wreck is dropping the ball all over the place JSU could keep it close.

#2 - JMU over Dook looks like a decent shot but the Dookies have almost everybody back. The rumahs on the internets have Cutcliffe trying to whip some 'tuff' into 'em.

#3 - UR over UVA is definitely an 'AGS' senario. Both have tough road games to start the season. Is the second game of the season too early for up week/down week ??

McNeese over Carolina ? I hate to get your hopes up but I think this one might end up a Cowboy massacre because the Tar Holes are young, deep, talented AND experienced.

Same thing with ASU over LSU. It's nice to dream but I think the Tigers will pound the snot outa the Boonies (I'll qualify this one by noting that it is really difficult to prepare for 'Jerry-Ball'. If the LSU defense gets too aggressive it plays into the hands of that wacky ASU offense.)

yorkcountyUNHfan
June 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM

The same thing was being said this time last year about The Big Housexnodx

Never say neverxpeacex

BDKJMU
June 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I agree that JMU should have a very good chance against Duke. The main question mark is how much has the new coach helped yet. Plus any BCS team doesn't seem to go down without a fight. We needed some big plays to keep that shutout.

On the other hand, I think just as UNC was close to being good last year, UVA was close to being bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=258&year=2007

They can occassionally play very well but not consistently. So it could get ugly, but there is also a decent chance that you shouldn't count us out in that game.

-If Duke was a CAA/So-Con/Gateway team they might not, but probably would be a playoff team, assuming they will be a notch or 2 better than in 07' (Cutcliff, from their last game, loss to UNC, 7 starters back offense, 10 defense).
-Plus Duke won't likely come out flat against JMU because the've sucked so bad in the past, they lost their last game to a I-AA, UR in 06'.
-They normally wouldn't have much of a home field advantage against JMU as they avg just over 20k fans home games 07', I'm sure a big chunk being away teams. If it was still Ted Roof I'd saw there would only be maybe 15k fans. But with it being Cutcliff's 1st game I'm think it could be more like 25-30k. JMU should bring somewhere between 2-4k. So Duke's homefield advantage will be there, but much less than the 52K JMU faced in Chapel Hill last season with all the hype over Butch Davis's 1st game with their top 5 recruiting class.
-The game is Aug 30, so should likely be hot, but its a 7 PM game, so the heat shouldn't be as much of a factor as a 1-3 PM game. Duke will have the depth advantage, but it won't be as magnified as it would be with a 1-3 PM game.

My non homer prediction is JMU has about a 40% chance of winning. I'd put a neutral field at 50%, and if it was at JMU 60%), and loses by a TD or so (if it was still Ted Roof I'd say JMU 60% chance and wins by a TD or so. Dang it, why does JMU for the 2nd year in a row have to face a down I-A program that has hired a new coach and has all the hype surrounding his 1st game! Butch Davis last yr and Cutcliff this season)... :(

My homer prediction is JMU has a 60% chance of winning and wins by a TD or 2.

-Even with all the off field off season trouble UVGay has had, and transfers (esp Fitzgerald), losing 2 in the 1st round of the draft, one early, they've still got a couple of pre season All Americans I remember seeing in Lindy's (linebacker and tackle who are both on the pre season watch lists for the Nagurski and Outland), 13 starters back. Won't be as good next year, I'm thinking 5-7 to 7-5.
-One thing about the private I-AA schools like UR vs the public schools like JMU, ASU, etc is that the privates due to the high tuition don't get the walkons that the publics do, so they have a little less depth. The UR @ UVA game is Sept 6 at 3:45, so it will likely be hot, which will magnify the depth disparity. I'd put UR's chances @ UVA at about 10-20%. Believe me, as much as I dislike UR, I dislike UVGay way more, and would LOVE to see UR pull the upset. UR likely keeps it close for a half to 3 qtrs but wears down, and I think UVA will win it by about 3 TDs.

aust42
June 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I take it no decent FCS teams are playing anybody in the Sun Belt?

Nope.

Arkansas St vs Texas Southern
Louisiana-Monroe vs Alabama A&M

LarryBoy
June 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I say Furman loses to Va Tech by 21 or less. That's an upset in my book. But seriously, Furman's recent history against BCS-conference teams is pretty simple...they can't really stop our offense (only we can do that, apparently), but we sure as heck can't stop theirs.

paward
June 13th, 2008, 06:51 PM
-If Duke was a CAA/So-Con/Gateway team they might not, but probably would be a playoff team, assuming they will be a notch or 2 better than in 07' (Cutcliff, from their last game, loss to UNC, 7 starters back offense, 10 defense).
-Plus Duke won't likely come out flat against JMU because the've sucked so bad in the past, they lost their last game to a I-AA, UR in 06'.
-They normally wouldn't have much of a home field advantage against JMU as they avg just over 20k fans home games 07', I'm sure a big chunk being away teams. If it was still Ted Roof I'd saw there would only be maybe 15k fans. But with it being Cutcliff's 1st game I'm think it could be more like 25-30k. JMU should bring somewhere between 2-4k. So Duke's homefield advantage will be there, but much less than the 52K JMU faced in Chapel Hill last season with all the hype over Butch Davis's 1st game with their top 5 recruiting class.
-The game is Aug 30, so should likely be hot, but its a 7 PM game, so the heat shouldn't be as much of a factor as a 1-3 PM game. Duke will have the depth advantage, but it won't be as magnified as it would be with a 1-3 PM game.

My non homer prediction is JMU has about a 40% chance of winning. I'd put a neutral field at 50%, and if it was at JMU 60%), and loses by a TD or so (if it was still Ted Roof I'd say JMU 60% chance and wins by a TD or so. Dang it, why does JMU for the 2nd year in a row have to face a down I-A program that has hired a new coach and has all the hype surrounding his 1st game! Butch Davis last yr and Cutcliff this season)... :(

My homer prediction is JMU has a 60% chance of winning and wins by a TD or 2.

-Even with all the off field off season trouble UVGay has had, and transfers (esp Fitzgerald), losing 2 in the 1st round of the draft, one early, they've still got a couple of pre season All Americans I remember seeing in Lindy's (linebacker and tackle who are both on the pre season watch lists for the Nagurski and Outland), 13 starters back. Won't be as good next year, I'm thinking 5-7 to 7-5.
-One thing about the private I-AA schools like UR vs the public schools like JMU, ASU, etc is that the privates due to the high tuition don't get the walkons that the publics do, so they have a little less depth. The UR @ UVA game is Sept 6 at 3:45, so it will likely be hot, which will magnify the depth disparity. I'd put UR's chances @ UVA at about 10-20%. Believe me, as much as I dislike UR, I dislike UVGay way more, and would LOVE to see UR pull the upset. UR likely keeps it close for a half to 3 qtrs but wears down, and I think UVA will win it by about 3 TDs.

You not liking UR, wow it was hard to see in your postxsmhx . Well I will say JMU does get the best of Duke. Our game will be lot closer than you would think. Coach London is a great motivator and he will have then ready, not to mention it will be his homecoming. Also he has a lot of fans there it may not be as hostile as some FCS vs FBS. I will also go out on a limb here and say that GSU will give UGA a run for the money. That will be a good game. ASU vs LSU see previous sentence.

skinny_uncle
June 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
How about SIU over Northwestern? Is three years in a row too much to ask?
xsmiley_wix

PantherRob82
June 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Iowa State sucks! ;)

Jag4Life
June 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
SU over Uni Of Houston!!!!

Lionsrking
June 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I don't know about an upset but I think we'll play Louisiana Tech close, and I don't think we'll get embarrassed by Mississippi State.

daneboy
June 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Cal Poly over San Diego St. would not be a big surprise...Cal Poly over Wisconsin? Stranger things have happened...do not forget, Cal Poly is returning 10 starters to a pretty good offense....and this year they have a new offensive coordinator...the offense should be very, very good...the defense, well, wait and see...but, if Wisconsin kind of overlooks Poly and if Poly's defense can greatly improve from last year and if Poly stays healthy and if most of the breaks fall the Mustangs way, well, you never know....xthumbsupx

AggieFinn
June 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Cal Poly over San Diego St. would not be a big surprise...Cal Poly over Wisconsin? Stranger things have happened...do not forget, Cal Poly is returning 10 starters to a pretty good offense....and this year they have a new offensive coordinator...the offense should be very, very good...the defense, well, wait and see...but, if Wisconsin kind of overlooks Poly and if Poly's defense can greatly improve from last year and if Poly stays healthy and if most of the breaks fall the Mustangs way, well, you never know....xthumbsupx

Battling Midwestern Wisconsin boys in the trenches will be tough, the agility and play of Dally will count most...if he takes care of the ball and isn't afraid, they'll be fine. Defensively, they'll have to stop the run...that will be a rough order in Madison.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/03/28/jthomas2x.jpg

As for UC Davis against the San Jo Spartans...I think we get blown out by over 14+ again, young Aggie QB, a sort of scrambled defensive backfield from '07 with brand new corners...whew, unless we just blitz all day and put pressure on the QB, I think we'll get torn up downfield. Offensively we'll do okay, but I don't think we'll have quite the gas in the 3rd and 4th quarter. I do think we'll be able to get about 4 yards per carry on 8/30 though.

Houndawg
June 21st, 2008, 07:31 AM
How about SIU over Northwestern? Is three years in a row too much to ask?
xsmiley_wix

If it weren't the first year of a new coach/system it wouldn't be too much to ask. Anybody heard how the players are responding to the short hair/ no dreadlocks bull****?

Zoo
June 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Big Badger backer here, and I think that Cal Poly has a very good chance to win. Remember when The Citadel came in and nearly pulled off that upset? They had us 21-21 at one point.

BDKJMU
June 24th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Got this off the CAAZone board JMU page that someone posted:

JMU-DUKE line from 5dimes almost a toss up:
James Madison at Duke
Sat 8/30 1237 James Madison +2 -120
7:00PM (EST) 1238 Duke -2 -120

Other I-A vs I-AA:

Thu 8/28 1101 Hofstra +28½ -120
6:00PM ( EST) 1102 Connecticut -28½ -120

Eastern Illinois at Central Michigan
Thu 8/28 1103 Eastern Illinois +22 -120
6:00PM (EST) 1104 Central Michigan -22 -120

Northeastern at Ball State
Thu 8/28 1105 Northeastern +20½ -120
7:00PM (EST) 1106 Ball State -20½ -120

Indiana State at Eastern Michigan
Thu 8/28 1107 Indiana State +38 -120
7:00PM (EST) 1108 Eastern Michigan -38 -120

Jacksonville State at Georgia Tech
Thu 8/28 1109 Jacksonville State +28 -120
7:30PM (EST) 1110 Georgia Tech -28 -120

Eastern Kentucky at Cincinnati
Thu 8/28 1111 Eastern Kentucky +31½ -120
7:30PM (EST) 1112 Cincinnati -31½ -120

Charleston Southern at Miami Florida
Thu 8/28 1113 Charleston Southern +37½ -120
7:30PM (EST) 1114 Miami Florida -37½ -120

South Dakota State at Iowa State
Thu 8/28 1115 South Dakota State +8 -120
8:00PM (EST) 1116 Iowa State -8 -120

Western Illinois at Arkansas
Sat 8/30 1201 Western Illinois +23 -120
12:00PM (EST) 1202 Arkansas -23 -120

Tennessee-Martin at South Florida
Sat 8/30 1203 Tennessee-Martin +39½ -120
12:00PM (EST) 1204 South Florida -39½ -120

Youngstown State at Ohio State
Sat 8/30 1205 Youngstown State +34 -120
12:00PM (EST) 1206 Ohio State -34 -120

Chattanooga at Oklahoma
Sat 8/30 1207 Chattanooga +47½ -120
12:00PM (EST) 1208 Oklahoma -47½ -120

Coastal Carolina at Penn State
Sat 8/30 1209 Coastal Carolina +37 -120
12:00PM (EST) 1210 Penn State -37 -120

Villanova at West Virginia
Sat 8/30 1211 Villanova +35 -120
12:00PM (EST) 1212 West Virginia -35 -120

South Carolina State at Central Florida
Sat 8/30 1213 South Carolina State +28 -120
12:00PM (EST) 1214 Central Florida -28 -120

Maine at Iowa
Sat 8/30 1215 Maine +22 -120
12:00PM (EST) 1216 Iowa -22 -120

Grambling State at Nevada
Sat 8/30 1217 Grambling State +17 -120
12:00PM (EST) 1218 Nevada -17 -120

Southern Utah at Air Force
Sat 8/30 1219 Southern Utah +31 -120
2:00PM (EST) 1220 Air Force -31 -120

Towson at Navy
Sat 8/30 1221 Towson +22½ -120
3:30PM (EST) 1222 Navy -22½ -120

Delaware at Maryland
Sat 8/30 1223 Delaware +17 -120
3:45PM (EST) 1224 Maryland -17 -120

UC Davis at San Jose State
Sat 8/30 1225 UC Davis +13 -120
4:00PM (EST) 1226 San Jose State -13 -120

Illinois State at Marshall
Sat 8/30 1227 Illinois State +14½ -120
4:30PM (EST) 1228 Marshall -14½ -120

Appalachian State at LSU
Sat 8/30 1229 Appalachian State +23 -120
5:00PM (EST) 1230 LSU -23 -120

McNeese State at North Carolina
Sat 8/30 1231 McNeese State +14 -120
6:00PM (EST) 1232 North Carolina -14 -120

Northern Iowa at BYU
Sat 8/30 1233 Northern Iowa +21 -120
6:00PM (EST) 1234 BYU -21 -120

Northern Illinois at Minnesota
Sat 8/30 1235 Northern Illinois +14 -120
7:00PM (EST) 1236 Minnesota -14 -120

Arkansas State at Texas A&M
Sat 8/30 1239 Arkansas State +22 -120
7:00PM (EST) 1240 Texas A&M -22 -120

Southern University at Houston
Sat 8/30 1241 Southern University +28 -120
7:00PM (EST) 1242 Houston -28 -120

Eastern Washington at Texas Tech
Sat 8/30 1243 Eastern Washington +33 -120
7:00PM (EST) 1244 Texas Tech -33 -120

Idaho State at Boise State
Sat 8/30 1245 Idaho State +44½ -120
8:00PM (EST) 1246 Boise State -44½ -120

Cal Poly at San Diego State
Sat 8/30 1247 Cal Poly +10 -120
9:30PM (EST) 1248 San Diego State -10 -120

Northern Arizona at Arizona State
Sat 8/30 1249 Northern Arizona +31½ -120
10:00PM (EST) 1250 Arizona State -31½ -120

slostang
June 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I'd take Cal Poly and 10 points against San Diego State.

Houndawg
June 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM

James Madison at Duke

Other I-A vs I-AA:

Chattanooga at Oklahoma

Maine at Iowa

Towson at Navy

Delaware at Maryland

Appalachian State at LSU

Northern Iowa at BYU

Northern Illinois @ Minnesota?

Arkansas State @ A&M?

ericsaid
June 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
A lot of those I agree with, Duke will win by more than 10 points though. The new coach will bring out the full potential of the athletes he has and won't let up in this game. From everything i've read the players are buying into him and its paying off for them. Apparently the last coach had them doing almost doing zero conditioning compared to the new coach so i'll take duke by 10 in that game.

As for App and LSU, my score remains to be a two score game, not three.

mizzoufan1
June 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM
SDSU over the ISU Cyclones is a reasonable chance.

Poly taking down the "other" SDSU in San Diego is a reasonable shot also.

I think that you will find ISU winning over South Dakota State.xcoffeex
The Cyclones are getting their feet underneath them and will be tough. Add the fact that they were EMBARRESSED by Northern Iowa last year xoopsx and I don't think that Coach C. will let it happen again...xwhistlex

Chi Panther
June 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM
First off...UNI was a much better team than Iowa State last year.

People seem to forget what happen in 2006 when UNI played at Iowa State....Iowa State was in trouble for 365 days....

That said, I do belive Iowa State covers if the line is 8 points....

UNI at BYU is going to be VERY tough.....

DaBears
July 24th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Well, hopefully there are a lot of upsets because this guy gives FCS no love. Maybe if there are enough upsets he will reassess his smug attitude.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-1-85/Best-and-worst-of-the-Big-12-s-nonconference-schedules.html

ASU33
July 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
New Hampshire over Army
James Madison over Duke
Montana State over UM Golden Gophers

close calls:
Alabama A&M has a shot againt UL-Monroe
Bama State has a shot against a lousy UAB team
APP State played LSU very toght the last time they went down there, this time will be no different.

Lionsrking
July 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
New Hampshire over Army
James Madison over Duke
Montana State over UM Golden Gophers

close calls:
Alabama A&M has a shot againt UL-Monroe
Bama State has a shot against a lousy UAB team
APP State played LSU very toght the last time they went down there, this time will be no different.

I feel we'll be very competitive with Louisiana Tech and will have a chance in that one.

Casey_Orourke
July 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM

James Madison at Duke

Other I-A vs I-AA:

Chattanooga at Oklahoma

Maine at Iowa

Towson at Navy

Delaware at Maryland

Appalachian State at LSU

Northern Iowa at BYU

Ya missed:
Portland State @ Washington State
No predictions, but I have heard that the Cougars are having some troubles this year.

MaximumBobcat
July 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
xhomerx

Texas State over SMU.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 25th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Ya missed:
Portland State @ Washington State
No predictions, but I have heard that the Cougars are having some troubles this year.

He also missed Eastern Washington at Colorado.

Although Cougs might be having some trouble, don't forget that Paul Wulff is their coach now, and is quite familiar with Portland State. Maybe not of Glanville since he's only a year in over there, but frankly PSU needs to contend in the BSC before I believe they can contend with a BCS team.

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I heard somewhere the d coordinator has played us before and is 0-3 against us:)

appfan2008
July 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
asu/lsu seems too big at 23... i think it will come down... should be around 15 IMO

CrazyCat
July 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Although Cougs might be having some trouble, don't forget that Paul Wulff is their coach now, and is quite familiar with Portland State. Maybe not of Glanville since he's only a year in over there, but frankly PSU needs to contend in the BSC before I believe they can contend with a BCS team.

All those games posted with point spreads are the opening weekend games.

LBPop
July 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Just a couple of thoughts about Appy State vs. LSU:

Given last year's Michigan game, Miles should have no trouble getting his team up for this game. They will not only want to win, but to win big.

Last year I think Michigan was surprised at and could not cope with App State's speed. Don't think that will be a problem for the Tigers.

I am far from an expert here, but those are my two reasons for fearing a larger spread than 2 TDs. xtwocentsx

I would appreciate comments.

kalm
July 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
EWU over Montanaxthumbsupx

Casey_Orourke
July 25th, 2008, 07:05 PM

I know, but that is what dreams are made from

Chi Panther
July 26th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Does UNI have a chance in Provo? Posters on the BYU boards are predicting 30+ point wins.....

Da Bison
July 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Does UNI have a chance in Provo? Posters on the BYU boards are predicting 30+ point wins.....

Those are the kind of fans you want on the other side.xrolleyesx
When they are predicting 30+ point wins ...............then you go in and kick butt.

At CMU last year they were thinking cakewalk. After NDSU beat them 44-14 they were calling for the coaches head(literaly) They still won the MAC, but it was fun watching the fireworks.xthumbsupx

NDSUFREAK
July 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM

UNI has a great team this year. I can see them winning this game, and like Da Bison said, its better the fans overlook you. You can nip em in the butt when gameday comes :D

NDSUFREAK
July 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM
EWU over Montanaxthumbsupx

xconfusedx

blackfordpu
July 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM

No love for the Kats over Kansas TT?

We could have an outside chance of sneaking by them if everything clicks and Bomar gets back to form.

Lionsrking
July 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
No love for the Kats over Kansas TT?

We could have an outside chance of sneaking by them if everything clicks and Bomar gets back to form.

No disrespect meant but we played Kansas last year, and they were every bit as good as advertised...they have a lot coming back...they get after the QB like nobody's business...Bearkats have no shot.

kalm
July 26th, 2008, 10:02 PM
xconfusedx

nevermind

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM
South Carolina needs to go back to the ACC and quit wasting the SEC's time.

If Furman can score 21 on VT, I'll feel very good. Don't count on GT being some kind of juggernaut. They are breaking in a completely new offense with new personell and it might look rather ragged for a while. That said, they do have very good defensive players.

Gully
July 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Look for South Dakota State to beat Iowa State. SDSU improved greatly through the year and ISU is still in chaos.