PDA

View Full Version : Article on Lamar Start-Up

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM
A load of things mentioned...

LU would be open to play a money game in 2010 -- which they'd be hard-pressed to find as they would not meet the counter requirements...

LU would like to play South Alabama and Georgia State...in addition to as many SLC teams as possible in 2010. They've already talked to McNeese...

Woodard's start-up pay is $130k, which ranks #2 in the league behind Brad Wright in San Marcos, who makes $150k. Clint Conque is not far behind in Conway, Ark. (UCA).

Woodard is huge on starting a walk-on program that is the best it can be. We'll see how that works.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19763307&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=583964&rfi=6

McNeese75
June 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Woodard wants his team to get a taste of the SLC before then, so he'd like to schedule as many Southland opponents as he can during that first year.

To that end, Woodard said he has already spoken to McNeese State about a nonconference game in 2010.

"I think you would want to try to play us the first year," Woodard said, chuckling.

"Hopefully, after we get established, they won't be so excited about it. It'll be a good game for us - not only because they're one of the teams to be in the Southland the following year, but just because it used to be such a great rivalry game."

xrolleyesx Yep, were skeered xlolx

I think it is going to take a few years for Coach Woodard to see exactly what he has got himself into. His first trip to Conway, Natchitoches, etc (maybe even Lake Charles) should be interesting.

It's good to see him trying to get out of the gate with an upbeat attitude. xnodx

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
If Woodard was smart, he'd schedule a trip to Lake Charles in year one. That way, his team could see perhaps the toughest environment in the SLC and see where they stand and where they will need to reach in order to be a successful ball club in the Southland.

A 2010 slate of South Alabama, Georgia State and McNeese would be pretty strong to get things going. Figure Nicholls and SLU with their scheduling woes would be in the mix as well.

SHSU would probably be interested if they could get the game at home. The Bearkats already have a road trip to WIU, a likely home contest against a SWAC or Div II plus a roadie to FBS. The fourth OOC game would be better off in Huntsville.

McNeese_beat
June 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
If Woodard was smart, he'd schedule a trip to Lake Charles in year one. That way, his team could see perhaps the toughest environment in the SLC and see where they stand and where they will need to reach in order to be a successful ball club in the Southland.

A 2010 slate of South Alabama, Georgia State and McNeese would be pretty strong to get things going. Figure Nicholls and SLU with their scheduling woes would be in the mix as well.

SHSU would probably be interested if they could get the game at home. The Bearkats already have a road trip to WIU, a likely home contest against a SWAC or Div II plus a roadie to FBS. The fourth OOC game would be better off in Huntsville.

Southeastern actually got McNeese to go to Hammond their first year. Took their whipping, but then they weren't intimidated the next year when they went to Lake Charles and they turned the tables

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Southeastern actually got McNeese to go to Hammond their first year. Took their whipping, but then they weren't intimidated the next year when they went to Lake Charles and they turned the tables

Perhaps McNeese would go to Beaumont in 2010 if they knew Lamar was coming right to Lake Charles in 2011. The schedules are known by the athletic departments now per a recent SLC release, so that would be the right thing to do.

Any clue on the McN 2010 slate? Road trip to Missouri and home game vs Southern, right?

RabidRabbit
June 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I would think that UND or USD could readily fit in Lamar in a Home/Home arrangement. Maybe even go there to start.

McNeese_beat
June 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Perhaps McNeese would go to Beaumont in 2010 if they knew Lamar was coming right to Lake Charles in 2011. The schedules are known by the athletic departments now per a recent SLC release, so that would be the right thing to do.

Any clue on the McN 2010 slate? Road trip to Missouri and home game vs Southern, right?

You're right on 2010. Don't know anything beyond that, off-hand.

I would doubt McNeese would go to Beaumont in 2010 because that's a game you never get back. The only way that happens is if McNeese is in such a scheduling bind, their best option is a short road trip with no return game vs. a long road trip with no return game. I'm guessing those were the circumstances in which McNeese agreed to go to SLU in 2004.

UCABEARS75
June 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I would hope that we would start scheduling them right off the bat.

As hard as it is to get OOC games within reasonable distance and due to the fact they will be conference opponent soon anyway we might as well tee it up the first year.

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I would hope that we would start scheduling them right off the bat.

As hard as it is to get OOC games within reasonable distance and due to the fact they will be conference opponent soon anyway we might as well tee it up the first year.

First thing Lamar will do is check out Nathan Brown and confirm that he will be gone in 2010, so UCA doesn't HANG 60 on them! xlolx

UCABEARS75
June 12th, 2008, 09:37 AM
First thing Lamar will do is check out Nathan Brown and confirm that he will be gone in 2010, so UCA doesn't HANG 60 on them! xlolx

LOL, you mean in the first quarter?

Sadly, Nathan will be gone in 2010. He is a fine young man and a great QB and team leader. But we get to enjoy him for 12 more games!!

TxnYote
June 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I would think that UND or USD could readily fit in Lamar in a Home/Home arrangement. Maybe even go there to start.

To be honest, I hope that in 2 seasons if USD does sign a Home/Home, they get Lamar to go to the DakotaDome first.

TexasTerror
June 16th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Lamar has two assistants now...

Woodard hires first two assistants at Lamar
By PERRYN KEYS, The Enterprise
06/16/2008

BEAUMONT - With one new hire, Ray Woodard kept a promise. With another new hire, he brought in an outlaw.

On the job for less than a month, the new head football coach at Lamar University has hired a pair of locals with his first two assistant coaches - Will Richard, a Beaumont native and West Brook alumnus; and Craig McGallion, who's been in Silsbee for so long he could have served as the town historian.

When Lamar rounds up some football players, Woodard will define the new assistants' coaching duties in greater detail. For now, their main assignment is to pound the pavement - or, more accurately, the high school stadiums, field houses and weight rooms.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19778786&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512588&rfi=6

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Video from the 'Meet and Greet' that Lamar had with Woodard.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1138292619/bclid1138334401/bctid1614764183

bb king
June 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I have a question for all of you and coach woodard. why did he settle for on six full time assistants when in fact he can have up to a total of ten.
six which count on the full time list and four which could could as part time or used to be the old restricted earnings coach which they all end up being full time versus the hiring of graduate assistants which takes away from your recruiting efforts and you day to day operations. Some schools and coaches are not informed on what the rules are and should look at it before they jump in with both feet and know how to use them to benefit their program. I mean come on including tutor money in the coaches salaries that money should come through academic services or through some other avenue. I mean how do you expect to build a program with continuity when you are creating a revolving door with coaches coming and going when you lower the amount they make. I played at one of the fcs schools and have worked at many of them and this is a shame that schools try to use these guys for their benefit it is bad enough that people think that coaches make a lot of money when in fact it is only at the FBS level do they and even then they are members of the BCS schools. It hasn't been until the last couple of years that the head coaches of these schools have begun to get paid.

Sorry for going off but it is true.

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM
The walk-on search begins...

6/25/2008
Lamar University Football

If you are interested in football at Lamar, please contact assistant coach Craig McGallion at (409) 880-7227, or via e-mail at [email protected].

Lamar will compete in its first football season in more than 20 years when the Cardinals begin play in 2010.

http://www.lamar.edu/newsevents/news/207_6598.htm

Seat16Demon
June 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hmm... I remember watching Lamar play NSU a few times as a young lad in Seat 16. Seems like we actually got a couple of transfers from Lamar when they nixed football. I believe we got a DE named Troy Knight and a safety named Ron ???something???...Washington, I think. I will have to ask the elder Demon statesman (Demon Fan) to check his old media guides. Anyway, it will be good to see Lamar in Turpin Stadium again.