PDA

View Full Version : Position Ratings- DBs

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Last group of the defense.

Who are your All-American candidates? Give some stats and info on your guys.

Here are some names to get the thread started.

CB K.J. Gerard, Northern Arizona
CB Domonique Johnson, Jackson State
CB Al Donaldson, Alabama A&M
CB Sam Pope, Hampton
CB Jackie Bates, Hampton
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
CB Patrick Stoudamire, Western Illinois

S Lardarius Webb, Nicholls State
S Javorris Jackson, Savannah State
S Brandon Gathof, EKU
S Terrell Whitehead, Norfolk State
S Colt Anderson, Montana
S Chris Covington, Georgia Southern
S Thomas Twitty, Furman

Green26
June 10th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Colt Anderson, Sr., Montana. Glad he was on your list.

He is a terrific player, has been first team all-conference the past 2 years, is a hard hitter and great tackler and consistently makes big plays.

Had 76 tackles (52 unassisted and 24 assisted) in '07, 4 interceptions, 6 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, and 11 pass deflections. In '06, had 92 tackles (33 and 59).

He's 5'10", 185 and runs a 4.51 40. He is very strong, squatting about 525. He's got NFL potential, but don't know how much at that level. He was Tim Hauck's (UM's former secondary coach who played 13 years in the NFL at safety) favorite player.

Should be in the mix for conference defensive MVP. Hope he makes the Buchanan watch list. Is from Butte, Montana.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Colt Anderson, Sr., Montana. Glad he was on your list.

He is a terrific player, has been first team all-conference the past 2 years, is a hard hitter and great tackler and consistently makes big plays.

Had 76 tackles (52 unassisted and 24 assisted) in '07, 4 interceptions, 6 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, and 11 pass deflections. In '06, had 92 tackles (33 and 59).

He's 5'10", 185 and runs a 4.51 40. He is very strong, squatting about 525. He's got NFL potential, but don't know how much at that level. He was Tim Hauck's (UM's former secondary coach who played 13 years in the NFL at safety) favorite player.

Should be in the mix for conference defensive MVP. Hope he makes the Buchanan watch list. Is from Butte, Montana.

Of course I had him on. He is one of the best in the nation! xthumbsupx

Lionsrking
June 10th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Last group of the defense.

Who are your All-American candidates? Give some stats and info on your guys.

Here are some names to get the thread started.

CB K.J. Gerard, Northern Arizona
CB Domonique Johnson, Jackson State
CB Al Donaldson, Alabama A&M
CB Sam Pope, Hampton
CB Jackie Bates, Hampton
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
CB Patrick Stoudamire, Western Illinois

S Lardarius Webb, Nicholls State
S Javorris Jackson, Savannah State
S Brandon Gathof, EKU
S Terrell Whitehead, Norfolk State
S Colt Anderson, Montana
S Chris Covington, Georgia Southern
S Thomas Twitty, Furman

Tommy Connors, 6-1, 200, JR, Strong Safety, Southeastern Louisiana

'07 Stats...75 Total Tackles, 63 Solos, 12 Assists, 9 TFL, 1 INT, 3 FF, 1 Fumble Recovery for TD...Will be a three-year starter in '08...versatile player...big hitter...great instincts.

http://www.lionsports.net/stats/Photos/Football/fb_NICH1117/image/111607_0770.JPG

http://www.lionsports.net/stats/Photos/Football/fb_NICH1117/image/111607_0886.JPG

http://www.lionsports.net/stats/Photos/Football/kansas/image/090807_472.JPG

Tribe4SF
June 11th, 2008, 06:01 AM
W&M

CB Derek Cox

Tribe4SF
June 11th, 2008, 06:02 AM
W&M

SS David Caldwell

813Jag
June 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I believe he has another year of elgibility: #5 Glenn Bell (Southern U.) saftey

Here are some numbers:
42 solos 38 Assists 80 total tackles, 3 INTs, and 1 Fumble Recovery.

http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/38a.jpg

redflash2
June 11th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Rickey Williamson from St. Francis (PA) plays cornerback a pretty good one in the ranks of FCS. 5th yr. senior.

Green26
June 11th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Jimmy Wilson, former Montana cornerback. If he were to get a good result in his trial (for murder next month), he would still have a year of eligibility (as he didn't redshirt). Some rumors indicate that it may have been a struggle, bullet entered under the chin or neck and exited near the eye (not vice versa as reported initially), and the gun may have been the gun (rifle or assault rifle) of the guy (gang member) who died.

McNeese75
June 11th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Tommy Connors, 6-1, 200, JR, Strong Safety, Southeastern Louisiana

'07 Stats...75 Total Tackles, 63 Solos, 12 Assists, 9 TFL, 1 INT, 3 FF, 1 Fumble Recovery for TD...Will be a three-year starter in '08...versatile player...big hitter...great instincts.

xthumbsupx Very nice player!

FCS Go!
June 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Jimmy Wilson, former Montana cornerback. If he were to get a good result in his trial (for murder next month), he would still have a year of eligibility (as he didn't redshirt). Some rumors indicate that it may have been a struggle, bullet entered under the chin or neck and exited near the eye (not vice versa as reported initially), and the gun may have been the gun (rifle or assault rifle) of the guy (gang member) who died.

No freaking way Wilson comes back to UM. It may be the "right thing"(xeyebrowx ) to do but it won't happen. His best option would probably be JUCO.

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
xthumbsupx Very nice player!

I like Connors. Possible sleeper for the Buck Buchanan list by midseason.

Green26
June 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM
How does Connors get so many solo tackles and have such a high percentage of solo tackles?

I don't believe a player with one year of remaning eligibility can go to a JUCO, but don't know for sure. If Wilson were to get off, it would be interesting to see what happened. It might be hard for him to return to Montana, but Montana could use a good corner. Does anyone know if a I-AA player can sit out a year (i.e. not be in school anywhere), and then go to a I-A school?

GeauxLions94
June 12th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I like Connors. Possible sleeper for the Buck Buchanan list by midseason.

Connors reminds me of former Northern Colorado player Reed Doughty. Good instincts (great run support against the option), BIG HITTER (credit the receiver that got drilled by TC for hanging on to the ball).

Lionsrking
June 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
How does Connors get so many solo tackles and have such a high percentage of solo tackles?

For starters, our SID does not pad assists to run the total tackle numbers up like some schools do. Solo tackles are pretty easy to determine and tough to pad...you either make the tackle or you don't. In order to get an assist, you must truly assist the primary tackler in getting the ballcarrier on the ground, not simply dive on the pile or be in the neighborhood while he's going down. I'm sure there were plenty of instances where Connors could have been credited with an assist but was not.

As for why he gets so many solos...it has to do with the style of defense we play and the fact he's such a sure, steady tackler in space. He doesn't miss very many and doesn't need much help putting a guy on his ass.

Lionsrking
June 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Does anyone know if a I-AA player can sit out a year (i.e. not be in school anywhere), and then go to a I-A school?

Under the scenario you cite, the player must sit out an additional year if he wasn't enrolled in the school he's transferring to for two semesters.

seantaylor
June 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Chris Covington is a beast.

SeattleGriz
June 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM
No freaking way Wilson comes back to UM. It may be the "right thing"(xeyebrowx ) to do but it won't happen. His best option would probably be JUCO.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but why not?

From what I have read, the guy that was killed had been known to take a piss on Jimmy's aunt after he beat the hell out of her.

I don't know about all of you, but you touch my family, let alone beat them, then piss on them, and you had better hope I don't ever find you.

My apologies to SmallCollegeFBFan once again for hijacking your thread, but I felt the record needed to be set straight on a Montana player that has gotten some very bad press for doing what many would do to protect their family.

R.A.
June 13th, 2008, 06:42 AM
http://www.scsuathletics.com/images/football/2007/10/15/Markee-Hamlin-for-web.jpg
South Carolina State University's DB Markee Hamlin. As a redshirt sophomore, this Bulldog recorded 5 Interceptions and 51 Total tackles, and he has two or three years remaining.

GannonFan
June 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
UD's got a pair of gems in the defensive backfield, which is a huge strength for the Hens this year:

CB - Anthony Walters - So
S - Anthony Bratton - Jr

Being younger will hurt them in terms of national lists which favor upperclassmen, but those two are legit.

SunCoastBlueHen
June 13th, 2008, 10:16 PM
UD's got a pair of gems in the defensive backfield, which is a huge strength for the Hens this year:

CB - Anthony Walters - So
S - Anthony Bratton - Jr

Being younger will hurt them in terms of national lists which favor upperclassmen, but those two are legit.

No doubt! xnodx

Maroon&White
June 14th, 2008, 07:41 AM
CB Courtney Robinson - First team CAA in 2007, 48 TT, 27 solo, 21 ast, 4.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 3 INT, 6 BrUp, 1 FF

S Jeromy Miles - third team CAA in 2007, 67 TT, 38 solo, 29 ast, 3.5 TFL, 3 INT, 8 BrUp, 2 FR, 3 FF

Sean Smalls was already listed - First team CAA in 2007, 49 TT, 31 solo, 18 ast, 2.5 TFL, .5 sacks, 1 INT, 10 BrUp

bluehenbillk
June 14th, 2008, 08:44 AM
No doubt! xnodx

I'll third that nominination, Walters is a big-play guy and Bratton can bring the lumber with anyone.

UD brings back their whole defensive backfield.

bleedblue
June 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I'll third that nominination, Walters is a big-play guy and Bratton can bring the lumber with anyone.

UD brings back their whole defensive backfield.

I do agree but over the next 2 seasons the transfer from Minnesota, Clark-James, will be a monster. I wonder if he wins the start over Andrews? There is a pile up of talent at the saftey position. Delaware putting D back in DEFENSE. The Def will be fun to watch come August.