PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State honored in Capital

APPALACHIANstate
June 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM
http://goasu.com/article/11982/

Three-Time National Champs Honored in Raleigh
by Appalachian Sports Information

June 10, 2008 - RALEIGH, N.C. – North Carolina Governor Michael F. Easley and the state’s General Assembly honored Appalachian State University’s three-time-defending NCAA Division I football national championship squad on Tuesday.

The trip to the state capital began with a visit to the Governor’s Mansion, where Gov. Easley proclaimed Tuesday to be “Mountaineer Day” in the state of North Carolina. Seniors Nic Cardwell, Trey Elder, Scott Suttle and Justin Woazeah presented Gov. Easley with a framed picture of the Appalachian’s three national championship trophies and an autographed ASU helmet as thanks for his support of the Mountaineers.

Following the gathering at the Governor’s Mansion, the Appalachian contingent moved to the N.C. Legislative Building, where a joint resolution lauding the Apps’ historic 2007 season and honoring the memory of longtime ASU supporter Miriam Cannon Hayes was passed unanimously by the state’s House of Representatives and Senate. ASU head coach Jerry Moore and Chancellor Dr. Kenneth E. Peacock spoke before both bodies of the General Assembly.

Appalachian is the only North Carolina institution to ever win an NCAA football title and the state’s only public institution to win a national championship at any level of college football (NCAA or NAIA). The trip to the state capital is the third-straight for the Mountaineers, as they were also honored in Raleigh following their 2005 and ’06 national titles.

APPALACHIANstate
June 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Sorry, I meant State Capital.

SideLine Shooter
June 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
http://goasu.com/article/11982/

Three-Time National Champs Honored in Raleigh
by Appalachian Sports Information

June 10, 2008 - RALEIGH, N.C. – North Carolina Governor Michael F. Easley and the state’s General Assembly honored Appalachian State University’s three-time-defending NCAA Division I football national championship squad on Tuesday.

The trip to the state capital began with a visit to the Governor’s Mansion, where Gov. Easley proclaimed Tuesday to be “Mountaineer Day” in the state of North Carolina. Seniors Nic Cardwell, Trey Elder, Scott Suttle and Justin Woazeah presented Gov. Easley with a framed picture of the Appalachian’s three national championship trophies and an autographed ASU helmet as thanks for his support of the Mountaineers.

Following the gathering at the Governor’s Mansion, the Appalachian contingent moved to the N.C. Legislative Building, where a joint resolution lauding the Apps’ historic 2007 season and honoring the memory of longtime ASU supporter Miriam Cannon Hayes was passed unanimously by the state’s House of Representatives and Senate. ASU head coach Jerry Moore and Chancellor Dr. Kenneth E. Peacock spoke before both bodies of the General Assembly.

Appalachian is the only North Carolina institution to ever win an NCAA football title and the state’s only public institution to win a national championship at any level of college football (NCAA or NAIA). The trip to the state capital is the third-straight for the Mountaineers, as they were also honored in Raleigh following their 2005 and ’06 national titles.

EXCELLENT!!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

DuckDuckGriz
June 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
What's taken so long? Seems to me like they shoulda been honored after the first one......

neersnbeers
June 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
You can clearly read that this trip was the third straight trip to Raleigh. Just thought I'd help ya out.

DuckDuckGriz
June 10th, 2008, 09:18 PM
You can clearly read that this trip was the third straight trip to Raleigh. Just thought I'd help ya out.

I guess I should read things before commenting more. Oh well. It was meant more as a compliment anyway.

KiddBrewer
June 11th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I guess I should read things before commenting more. Oh well. It was meant more as a compliment anyway.

i see it as complimentary. appreciated.

OL FU
June 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I would be tired of going to Raleigh by nowxnodx

:p :D

SideLine Shooter
June 11th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I would be tired of going to Raleigh by nowxnodx

:p :D

You and I probably would be tired of Raleigh, not a lot to do or not much going on. I think our guys actually enjoy coming down from the mountain and visiting the big city on their annual trip to the State Capital. I hope they can continue to visit the Govenor and State Capital every year.

Appaholic
June 11th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Would have enjoyed the story more if it had reported that the team then jumped on Gov Mike Easley and beat him senseless.....xcoffeex

neersnbeers
June 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM

Compliment appreciated!!

AppStFan76
June 11th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Would have enjoyed the story more if it had reported that the team then jumped on Gov Mike Easley and beat him senseless.....xcoffeex

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
June 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Amen. Thank God January isn't too far away.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 12th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Nice pictures of the day included here:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=june-10-mountaineer-day-in-north-carolin&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Gov. Mike Easley and the General Assembly celebrated Appalachian State University’s third consecutive NCAA Football Championship Subdivision title. Easley met with the coaching staff and some players Tuesday morning at the Executive Mansion, where they showed off their three title trophies, the latest coming in December. Later Tuesday, school Chancellor Kenneth Peacock and coach Jerry Moore addressed lawmakers as they passed a resolution celebrating their accomplishments. “This is history. No one can bring you three of these things in a row,” Peacock told the House. “Appalachian State did.”

Thundering_Herd
June 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Doesn't Appy have their own board to post this?

Until NDSU wins 3 in-a-row, I'll just sit here all jealous and *****.

I should change my name to 'white lightning'. Maybe you guys would understand that one

CharlestonAppFan
June 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Doesn't Appy have their own board to post this?

Until NDSU wins 3 in-a-row, I'll just sit here all jealous and *****.

I should change my name to 'white lightning'. Maybe you guys would understand that one

You think ASU is bad?......better be glad that you weren't around for the other "Thundering Herd" knuckleheads xoopsx Every time I see your name, I get a lil red in the face and have to go work out to get the anger out of me xmadx "White lightning" will get me red in the face too, but for very different readsons :)