PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron Club Established in NYC

jimbo65
June 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Saw this on the Fordham Board and thought it might be of some interest to AGS posters. Fordham & Columbia are the two FCS members in NYC though Columbia is prohibited from post season play by the Ivies(not that there has been any need to prohibit them). The two schools have played a Liberty Cup Game each year since 9/11/01 to honor those lost and this group could provide some excellent promotion. As an aside, the Mara family is close with Fordham and a grandson is presently on the team.

FYI: Keeping up with Eli
This comes from the National Football Foundation.

NEW YORK — The New York Giants’ Eli Manning, son of NFF chairman Archie Manning, attracted close to 100 of New York’s elite to Manhattan’s 21 Club last week, announcing the official launch of the NFF’s Gridiron Club of New York, which will work to promote college football in the New York City greater metropolitan area.

Among the 100 in attendance at last week’s launch were former New York City Mayor Rudy Guiliani; CBS The Early Show Anchor Harry Smith; Rutgers Head Football Coach Greg Schiano; NFL leadership including Joe Browne and Gene Washington; Arena Football League Commissioner Dave Baker; executives from ESPN and CBS; 1992 College Football Hall of Famer and former NFF Chairman Ron Johnson; 2008 College Football Hall of Fame inductee from Syracuse Don McPherson; athletics directors Bob Mulcahy of Rutgers, Dr. Dianne Murphy of Columbia and Francis McLaughlin of Fordham; NFF board members; and a who’s who of Manhattan business leaders.

College football could use a little promotion in New York.

andy7171
June 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Columbia
Fordham
Hofstra
Marist
Monmouth
Stoney Brook
Wagner

It would be a pretty cool league!

The Big Apple Conference?

danefan
June 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Link to full article:
http://www.footballfoundation.com/news.php?id=1541

Lehigh Football Nation
June 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Saw this on the Fordham Board and thought it might be of some interest to AGS posters. Fordham & Columbia are the two FCS members in NYC though Columbia is prohibited from post season play by the Ivies(not that there has been any need to prohibit them). The two schools have played a Liberty Cup Game each year since 9/11/01 to honor those lost and this group could provide some excellent promotion. As an aside, the Mara family is close with Fordham and a grandson is presently on the team.

FYI: Keeping up with Eli
This comes from the National Football Foundation.

NEW YORK — The New York Giants’ Eli Manning, son of NFF chairman Archie Manning, attracted close to 100 of New York’s elite to Manhattan’s 21 Club last week, announcing the official launch of the NFF’s Gridiron Club of New York, which will work to promote college football in the New York City greater metropolitan area.

Among the 100 in attendance at last week’s launch were former New York City Mayor Rudy Guiliani; CBS The Early Show Anchor Harry Smith; Rutgers Head Football Coach Greg Schiano; NFL leadership including Joe Browne and Gene Washington; Arena Football League Commissioner Dave Baker; executives from ESPN and CBS; 1992 College Football Hall of Famer and former NFF Chairman Ron Johnson; 2008 College Football Hall of Fame inductee from Syracuse Don McPherson; athletics directors Bob Mulcahy of Rutgers, Dr. Dianne Murphy of Columbia and Francis McLaughlin of Fordham; NFF board members; and a who’s who of Manhattan business leaders.

College football could use a little promotion in New York.

I'm just hoping that someone is shopping my "trophy game" idea between Wagner, Fordham, and Columbia every year. Giulliani the sponsor? xnodx xnodx xnodx

Fordham
June 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
interesting stuff, particularly given the Giants link we have referenced by Jimbo above.

help me understand how this plays out from those of you who are excited about this, though. I can't figure out what kind of things they could do that could raise the profile of college football in NYC THAT much. If they actually are successful, I can't see how it would impact a program like ours THAT much either since I assume from seeing Schiano's name up there that 'promoting college football' is more likely to mean trying to schedule BCS games as much as possible.

Hope I'm wrong, though, and that this could be a very good thing for the program and FCS in general.

TwinTownBisonFan
June 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I think the "Mayors Cup" series between the schools would be really cool - sorta like the Commander-In-Chief's trophy between the academies.