PDA

View Full Version : Joe McKnight coming to JSU?

Cocky
June 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Former Curtis running star Joe McKnight was ineligible for spring football at USC after dropping too many classes and falling below NCAA minimum number of credit hours per semester. Trojans coach Pete Carroll insists McKnight will be back for pre-season camp, but this latest development isn't a great sign he'll be at USC for the duration of his career. Is Jacksonville State next for McKnight?...

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/Business/Louisiana_Sports__LSU_Baseball_Big_Brown_Jim_McKay _Keith_Zinger__6549.asp

Gamecocks99
June 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Well first of all you have to realize that Joe went to John Curtis High School in New Orleans. John Curtis is a Private Baptist School and if you can help them win a state championship, you don't exactly have to be a brain surgeon to pass. My Brother lives in NOLA and say the word on the street is that they have been known to help a player or two. It's just like Evangel Christian in Shreveport where Josh, Abrahm, and John David Booty went to school. It's also pretty sad to admit but Louisiana isn't exactly breaking any academic records, especially in "Big NOLA".

FormerPokeCenter
June 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
It's just like Evangel Christian in Shreveport where Josh, Abrahm, and John David Booty went to school. It's also pretty sad to admit but Louisiana isn't exactly breaking any academic records, especially in "Big NOLA".

I have two kids at Evangel and two at the number one Magnet school in Louisiana and - honestly - the Evangel program doesn't really suffer by comparison. Where Evangel has a decided edge is in student/teacher ratios. I will say that they'll bend over backwards to help a kid with exta instruction and tutoring, but that's with any kid...They don't give away grades there, the kids have to earn them.

The number of kids at Evangel who earn academic scholarships is pretty amazing. We had an eighth grader who took the ACT this year who had a perfect score. That's not something that happens if they're simply giving away grades....

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/Business/Louisiana_Sports__LSU_Baseball_Big_Brown_Jim_McKay _Keith_Zinger__6549.asp

Heh.....

He can dream....

but don't count on it....

Gamecocks99
June 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Heh.....

He can dream....

but don't count on it....

We are keeping the faith though ! xnodx

JohnStOnge
June 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I have two kids at Evangel and two at the number one Magnet school in Louisiana -.

Just curious here: I thought the number 1 magnet school in Louisiana is Ben Franklin in New Orleans. I'm assuming you must be talking about a magnet school in Shreveport. What school are you talking about?

For those outsiders wondering, a weird thing is that the Orleans Parish public school system overall is absolutely awful. In fact, if you took Orleans Parish out of the calculations, Louisiana wouldn't look bad at all on standardized test scores, etc. But white students in the Orleans public school system, on average, score off the charts. When you break it down by race, White students in the Orleans Parish school system score the best by far among White students in State public school systems. And most of them are in magnet schools. White students in Orleans Parish are pretty much either in magnet schools or private schools. Some exceptions; but not many percentage wise.

JohnStOnge
June 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Weird thing is that I just heard someone claim the other day that the reason McKnight is at USC is that he and Perrilloux were buds and his mom didn't want him exposed to Perrilloux. Seriously, I was at a conference in New Orleans last week and someone...can't remember who...said that while we were watching the 3rd game of the LSU/UC Irvine baseball series and talking sports.

FormerPokeCenter
June 16th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I have two kids at Evangel and two at the number one Magnet school in Louisiana and - honestly - the Evangel program doesn't really suffer by comparison. Where Evangel has a decided edge is in student/teacher ratios. I will say that they'll bend over backwards to help a kid with exta instruction and tutoring, but that's with any kid...They don't give away grades there, the kids have to earn them.

The number of kids at Evangel who earn academic scholarships is pretty amazing. We had an eighth grader who took the ACT this year who had a perfect score. That's not something that happens if they're simply giving away grades....

My daughters are/were at Caddo Middle Magnet, which has been the top Middle school in the state for a number of years. My oldest got accepted to Caddo Magnet High which ranks up there with Franklin, which has fewer students...Franklin's average ACT score is pretty impressive, at nearly a composite 28, but when you factor in that it has about half as many students as Caddo Magnet, and has superior funding to Caddo Magnet, I'm not ready to proclaim it as the number one school in the state.

For my money, I think Caddo Magnet does a better job since it provides educational opportunities for more students.

In many ways, we're in similar shape to Orleans parish. We have three schools in the top ten, academically, in the state, and three or four in the bottom ten.

And, yes, most of the disparity is drawn along socio/economic lines....