PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Stadium Update/ The study say's...........

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
10381 10382

Building a new, mordern, stadium is best option for JSU and the City of Jackson.:D xbowx xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix xnodx :D
Memorial need's upward's of $100 million in upgrades to make it last another 20 year's or so.

The stadium JSU had drawn up had estimates of $75 million.
The number of fixed seat's has been scaled back from 45,000 to 30,000/37,000 fixed seat's in order to add "extra's" to the stadium.
The land is already in place in the area chosen for the stadium.

JSU has already started building Student Housing, (condo's, apts.,), a small business complex, (stores), and an entire neighborhood being rebuilt with 120 starter homes/duplexes in the $150,000 price range in Phase III of construction on campus and the West Jackson/Downtown area.

You make the call but like we said down here, give it another 5 year's and the groundbreaking will begin.
WE CAN WAIT.:D

Memorial.....Renovate or Rebuild? (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/NEWS/806090333&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL)

The 67-year-old stadium needs $42 million in immediate repairs "to remain operational and provide a safe environment" and $108 million for a major renovation, according to the study. The study does not say where the money to pay for renovations would come from and points out that a $30 million renovation that began in 2000 hasn't been completed because of a lack of funds.

With a major renovation, the current stadium would be useful for 15-20 years, while a new stadium could be useful for more than 40 years, the study said. Comparatively, the price tag for a new, 25,000- to 30,000-seat stadium could cost about $73 million to $156 million, depending on the number of seats and other factors.

Jackson State doesn't want to be considered a tenant any longer. In the past, JSU rented the facility for football games, paying the higher of $15,000 or 7 percent of ticket sales per game. The new legislation allows for the university to keep profits after expenses for all JSU events without any rental payments, though Jackson State will still have to pay a 7-percent amusement tax on each ticket sold. Anything beyond that is open to negotiation. Jackson State shared in a portion of the profit from concessions, parking and advertising with the stadium commission. A new arrangement has not been finalized

DSUrocks07
June 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
:(

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
:(

Why the frownie face?xconfusedx xeyebrowx

DSUrocks07
June 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
cuz we don't get no new stadium :(

ya'll got a great deal down there in Jackson...props to ya xthumbsupx

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
cuz we don't get no new stadium :(

ya'll got a great deal down there in Jackson...props to ya xthumbsupx

It's an ok deal but as you can see, JSU want's to controll all our event's completely and we can't do that with Memorial without taking over ownership.
THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN because when we get $80 million or whatever raised, you can bet the farm it won't go to refurbish Memorial. xlolx

I like playing games in there cause that place rock's to no end, but times change and it is time the State made good on it's promise and do for JSU what it has done for every University in this state.
Also, Memorial is not about to "fall down" as some may get by just reading the story.

It's just not a mordern facility that can be renovated easily.
They even did a study on cutting the number of seat's but that would cost more because of the way the structure was built.
The row's are too close together for seat's with backrest's on them.

The State need to quit dragging it's feet, and fund the initial investment of the stadium.
They are gonna have to do it anyway so they need to come with it
JSU would be happy and the University Hospital Complex would be happy also because after 20 year's, they would finally get the land Memorial is sitting on.

After that, like everybody else, upgrades and expansion would be JSU's baby to take care of.

DSUrocks07
June 9th, 2008, 12:53 PM
It's an ok deal but as you can see, JSU want's to controll all our event's completely and we can't do that with Memorial without taking over ownership.
THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN because when we get $80 million or whatever raised, you can bet the farm it won't go to refurbish Memorial. xlolx

just my point...JSU plays in a stadium where they only have to pay 7% on ticket sales (no maintenance or upkeep) and the state knows that it will have to either replace or renovate Memorial at some point in the future and with the cost liabilities we all know that JSU won't take on that monstrosity (even for $1 if I'm correct xlolx ) So now its just like playing chicken and the Tigers aren't gonna jump anytime soon...

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
just my point...JSU plays in a stadium where they only have to pay 7% on ticket sales (no maintenance or upkeep) and the state knows that it will have to either replace or renovate Memorial at some point in the future and with the cost liabilities we all know that JSU won't take on that monstrosity (even for $1 if I'm correct xlolx ) So now its just like playing chicken and the Tigers aren't gonna jump anytime soon...

Yep.
They tried to sell us Memorial for $1 if we took over everything.xlolx
Including the cost of renovation and debt built up because of Ole Miss and Mississippi State refusing to play in Memorial since the late 1980's.

It took JSU bout 1 minute across the board to laugh that off the table.
Then they put bout $30 million into the 1st phase of renovations and that's where it stands now.

They expanded Memorial for those 2 school's and when it was done, and they were sick of USM cracking their football skull's wide open, they renovated and expanded their on campus stadium's and left the State of Mississippi holding the bag.

Both these school's complained that Memorial was too small, (before they enclosed the horseshoe in the 1970's), to draw school's like LSU, Bamma, and Georgia down here.

IndianaAppMan
June 9th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Building a new, mordern, stadium is best option for JSU and the City of Jackson.
...Memorial need's upward's of $100 million in upgrades to make it last another 20 year's or so.

xeekx Sheesh, it never ceases to amaze how much money this country is willing to pour into college football, from programs like Michigan & LSU to lower level FBS to across-the-board FCS. Simply remarkable!

813Jag
June 9th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Yep.
They tried to sell us Memorial for $1 if we took over everything.xlolx
Including the cost of renovation and debt built up because of Ole Miss and Mississippi State refusing to play in Memorial since the late 1980's.

It took JSU bout 1 minute across the board to laugh that off the table.
Then they put bout $30 million into the 1st phase of renovations and that's where it stands now.

They expanded Memorial for those 2 school's and when it was done, and they were sick of USM cracking their football skull's wide open, they renovated and expanded their on campus stadium's and left the State of Mississippi holding the bag.

Both these school's complained that Memorial was too small, (before they enclosed the horseshoe in the 1970's), to draw school's like LSU, Bamma, and Georgia down here.
If they build something new what will the capacity be? Will that affect the CCC, would Alcorn try to move it back to Spinks?

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM
If they build something new what will the capacity be? Will that affect the CCC, would Alcorn try to move it back to Spinks?

JSU get's an on campus stadium and you can kiss the Capitol City Classic, or as us old timer's still call it, THE SOUL BOWL, goodbye.xlolx
Alcorn would slit their own throat's before they would come to JSU Campus every year.xlolx

Comming to Memorial is different even though it's our home field.
As it stand's now with JSU taking more control of Memorial, that game is on shaky ground already.

They looked into taking the game back to the Reservation before they signed another 3 year contract with the CCC.
No problem with us.

Ain't nothing like rolling out from Jackson, flooding HWY 18 and the Natchez Trace with Blue and White taking over Alcorn for a day. xlolx

813Jag
June 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
JSU get's an on campus stadium and you can kiss the Capitol City Classic, or as us old timer's still call it, THE SOUL BOWL, goodbye.xlolx
Alcorn would slit their own throat's before they would come to JSU Campus every year.xlolx

Comming to Memorial is different even though it's our home field.
As it stand's now with JSU taking more control of Memorial, that game is on shaky ground already.

They looked into taking the game back to the Reservation before they signed another 3 year contract with the CCC.
No problem with us.

Ain't nothing like rolling out from Jackson, flooding HWY 18 and the Natchez Trace with Blue and White taking over Alcorn for a day. xlolx
We do the same thing on HWY 61. xlolx

I remember it being called the Soul Bowl, my old man (Valley Grad xlolx) used to go to the game with my uncle (Alcorn Grad).

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM
xeekx Sheesh, it never ceases to amaze how much money this country is willing to pour into college football, from programs like Michigan & LSU to lower level FBS to across-the-board FCS. Simply remarkable!

Yep.
But that's the way thing's are.

With us, it's more than just us wanting an on-campus stadium.
Everything from where the new stadium will be built on JSU's campus to what will happen to Memorial and the land it sit's on is all rolled into the building boom going on in the entire city.

Especially the Downtown area where JSU is located.
The Hospital's want the stadium land so they can continue to expand WEST to the Jackson Medical Center Mall located 1 mile away.

Memorial sit's like a 1 million ton concrete roadblock for those plans.
JSU proposed new Stadium which would be located on the Downtown end of campus, would tie into the new Convention Center being built now.

http://www.jacksonconventioncomplex.com/images/img-about-rendering2.jpg
This is the Tel-com center and convention center.
The right hand side is the Tel-Com center which is finished and the Left side is the 200,000 sq. ft. convention center that's about 70% complete.

They have the U.S. Auto Show scheduled there in January.
The Stadium will tie the downtown convention center, entertainment district ( Farrish Street Renovations, Downtown housing villages, etc), and JSU together.

IndianaAppMan
June 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Especially the Downtown area where JSU is located.
The Hospital's want the stadium land so they can continue to expand mile WEST to the Medical Center located 1 mile away.

Memorial sit's like a 1 million ton concrete roadblock for those plans.
JSU proposed new Stadium which would be located on the Downtown end of campus, would tie into the new Convention Center being built now.

http://www.downtown-jackson.com/images/uploads/ms_telcom_center_lg.jpg
This is the Tel-com center that's already finished.
It is being connected with a 200,000 sq. ft. convention center that's about 70% complete.

They have the U.S. Auto Show scheduled there in January.
The Stadium will tie the downtown convention center, entertainment district ( Farrish Street Renovations, Downtown housing villages, etc), and JSU together.

That's really cool! I'm an urban-planning geek, and I'm always excited to hear when downtowns are being revitalized and/or thriving, especially if it's areas that were once on the down-and-out. My hometown of Greenville, SC has had an amazing burst of growth over the past 20 years. Before then, it was dead after banks closed at 5, and you wouldn't want to walk around downtown by yourself at night.

Good for Jackson, and good for Jackson State!

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM
That's really cool! I'm an urban-planning geek, and I'm always excited to hear when downtowns are being revitalized and/or thriving, especially if it's areas that were once on the down-and-out. My hometown of Greenville, SC has had an amazing burst of growth over the past 20 years. Before then, it was dead after banks closed at 5, and you wouldn't want to walk around downtown by yourself at night.

I found a picture of the completed project.
This is what it will look like in about 3 month's.
It's about 70% complete now.xnodx

Add the Tel-com and Convention center together and that's over 330,000 sq. ft. of space for anything you want. xnodx

DSUrocks07
June 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I found a picture of the completed project.
This is what it will look like in about 3 month's.
It's about 70% complete now.xnodx

Add the Tel-com and Convention center together and that's over 330,000 sq. ft. of space for anything you want. xnodx

I hate our state xnonono2x

not really the state but the powers that bexnonono2x

jcf5445
June 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Well, I wouldn't recommend walking around downtown Jackson after hours to anyone, especially if that person be of lighter skin. Jackson is one of the most dangerous cities in the USA according to numerous publications. Don't get me wrong, I wish it were not so. Being from Mississippi and having spent a lot of time in and around the the metro area, I would absolutely love it if Jackson can get things straightened out. I see where a lot of improvements are being attempted, but only time will tell if the Jackson citizens will stand up and make the city a nice place to live and/or visit.

IndianaAppMan
June 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Well, I wouldn't recommend walking around downtown Jackson after hours to anyone, especially if that person be of lighter skin. Jackson is one of the most dangerous cities in the USA according to numerous publications. Don't get me wrong, I wish it were not so. Being from Mississippi and having spent a lot of time in and around the the metro area, I would absolutely love it if Jackson can get things straightened out. I see where a lot of improvements are being attempted, but only time will tell if the Jackson citizens will stand up and make the city a nice place to live and/or visit.

Wow, that's rough. At least there are some positive things happening there.

Your comment reminds me a little of Detroit. My wife's cousin lives there, and it's just so sad hearing how the city has declined over the past 30ish years. Some downtown improvements have helped, but the cycle of crime, poverty, abuse, and violence has got to be nipped in the bud for the youngest generation if it's ever going to improve. And that is no easy challenge.

Sorry I got off topic:)

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Now if this ain't a MADISON or RANKIN county spill I don't know what is.
Jackson is like any other LARGE CITY.

You walk your arse in the wrong places, you gonna get jacked.
I work downtown, come out at 2 in the morning and have not been robbed or killed yet.
I go to club's downtown Jackson and never been shot or robbed.

I live in Jackson near the Northside drive, State Street area.
Never been jacked or shot.

All your spouting is the same old surburban junk.
A suburbia that can't talk anymore with all the shooting's, weekly killing's, and child molester's that Sherriff Tommy Towbridge be arresting on a weekly basis.

All them white people living in all those downtown condos with more already leased out, walking their dog's, going to restaurant's, parting at HAL and Mal's, and other club's downtown and nobody has shot them up because of their skin color.

Don't even know why I wasting time with you on a stadium thread.
Please take your racial bullshat to another thread.

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Wow, that's rough. At least there are some positive things happening there.

Your comment reminds me a little of Detroit. My wife's cousin lives there, and it's just so sad hearing how the city has declined over the past 30ish years. Some downtown improvements have helped, but the cycle of crime, poverty, abuse, and violence has got to be nipped in the bud for the youngest generation if it's ever going to improve. And that is no easy challenge.

Sorry I got off topic:)

It's Madison and Rankin county bullshat.
The burb's are alway's crowing about how good they have it but the reality is those burb's only have about 50,000 people combined together.

Jackson has nearly a quarter million people living within it's borders and with that many people, you going to have about 2,000 acting a fool.

People are not getting shot down on every corner in downtown Jackson or JACKSON for that matter.
I have not heard of someone getting killed in DOWNTOWN Jackson in years.
And the COP's did that because the suspect was armed. xlolx

Again.
You take your arse to Georgetown or Verdin Addition areas and you on your own. xlolx
I'm black as they come and won't go over there in the daytime. xlolx

jcf5445
June 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
You can call it racial if you want, but it's simply the truth. Jackson is in many top ten lists as the most violent U.S. cities to live in. It didn't get in those lists based off propaganda by Madison and Rankin County residents. And whoever said that I was white? I sure didn't. I'm not from the suburbs either, and have never lived in the suburbs, so you shouldn't jump to conclusions. If you want to have a meaningful debate about the condition that Jackson is in, I'm all for it. Like I mentioned earlier, I want Jackson to do well. However, all that hot air in your last post in response to mine is rather childish.

IndianaAppMan
June 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM
It's Madison and Rankin county bullshat.
The burb's are alway's crowing about how good they have it but the reality is those burb's only have about 50,000 people combined together.

Jackson has nearly a quarter million people living within it's borders and with that many people, you going to have about 2,000 acting a fool.

People are not getting shot down on every corner in downtown Jackson or JACKSON for that matter.
I have not heard of someone getting killed in DOWNTOWN Jackson in years.
And the COP's did that because the suspect was armed. xlolx

Again.
You take your arse to Georgetown or Verdin Addition areas and you on your own. xlolx
I'm black as they come and won't go over there in the daytime. xlolx

I don't know whether this was directed about me, but I've never even been to Jackson. I was just responding to the previous user's quote.

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I don't know whether this was directed about me, but I've never even been to Jackson. I was just responding to the previous user's quote.

Naw.
That was not meant for you IndianaAppMan.xnonox xthumbsupx
Sorry if you thought it was. xoopsx xthumbsupx

That was for the poster that said he would not recommed walking in downtown Jackson especially if you have a lite complexion.xlolx

In other word's, he was trying to imply that Jackson is not safe for white people which is a lie.xsmiley_wix

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM
You can call it racial if you want, but it's simply the truth. Jackson is in many top ten lists as the most violent U.S. cities to live in. It didn't get in those lists based off propaganda by Madison and Rankin County residents. And whoever said that I was white? I sure didn't. I'm not from the suburbs either, and have never lived in the suburbs, so you shouldn't jump to conclusions. If you want to have a meaningful debate about the condition that Jackson is in, I'm all for it. Like I mentioned earlier, I want Jackson to do well. However, all that hot air in your last post in response to mine is rather childish.

Like I said Mr. Madison or Rankin county.
Take your racial bullshat somewhere else.
If your not Rankin or madison, then please keep the comment's from town's like Prentiss, Hattiesburg and rual North Mississippi in your own town.
Places you know about.xlolx

People on this board don't know the Surburbia, or the WHITE, since you threw it out there, mentality around Jackson but I do so don't even start OK.

And I don't want to have a black white debate about Jackson on a JSU stadium thread.
In fact, I don't even want to have that convo at all with you.

Now if you don't like Jackson, you know our motto.
DON'T BRING YOUR ARSE INTO THE CITY for play or work.
Nobody will miss you or your comment's. xnonono2x

Can't even make a damm stadium thread without some "black city/bad black crime riddled citizens" poster fugging it up. xsmhx

Originally Posted by jcf5445
Well, I wouldn't recommend walking around downtown Jackson after hours to anyone, especially if that person be of lighter skin
Now what part of that go with this thread subject.xsmhx

JagHammer
June 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Yep.

This is rare, but must you tell the truth?

jstate83
June 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
This is rare, but must you tell the truth?

The truth is what it is.
When all this first came out about JSU building a stadium, people wanted to put the blame on JSU for Memorial's plight in mordern times.

Before memorial was expanded, Mississippi State and Ole Miss stadium's were about 41,000 for M. State and about 44,000 for Ole Miss.
They begged the state to expand memorial.

Around that time, when they were both still playing USM, they would come to Jackson and get literally beat to death by USM.
They stopped playing USM and carried their games back to campus and that left Memorial with only one game in town and that was JSU.

Now Ole Miss has the largest Stadium in the State at 67,000 and M. State is expanding their's again from the 55,000 it hold's now.

Memorial is not JSU's problem.
We just play all our games there and have been for 40 year's because we don't have our own.

It's comming for sure now.
There is no way the State of Mississippi put's another $130 million into Memorial to mordernize it.

JSU could have a Stadium, indoor practice facilities, and a Starbuck's franchise for the early morning tailgater's for that price. xlolx

jstate83
June 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
We do the same thing on HWY 61. xlolx

I remember it being called the Soul Bowl, my old man (Valley Grad xlolx) used to go to the game with my uncle (Alcorn Grad).

That's what most people still call it but the official name that is promoted is the Capitol City Classic since the Metro area, Fed Ex, and Southwest Airlines began to put it's weight and money behind the game every year.

The last time JSU traveled to ALCORN was 1990.
That was the 1st year their new stadium opened and the place was packed.
That's also the only time JSU has played in Jack Spink's Stadium at Alcorn.

People were parked all down that 6 mile road leading to campus, walking to the game because no more car's could be allowed on campus.xeekx
Every open space, AND I MEAN EVERY SPACE AVAILABLE, was a tailgating spot that day. xlolx

After 1990, McNair came and by year #3, it had become an obsession to every JSU fan that we beat this guy.
Everybody wanted to see this guy so playing at Alcorn was out of the question and the CCC as we know it was born.

I don't know who was happier when he swept JSU 4 year's.
Alcorn fan's because they won the game or JSU fan's because we would never have to see his arse again. xlolx