PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns-Bearkats Battle Official

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2005, 05:09 PM
September 30th, 2006...

The University of Texas will be welcoming the Sam Houston State Bearkats to Austin...

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=33&url_subchannel_id=&url_article_id=14&change_well_id=2

Sam has never played the Texas Longhorns varsity...

Sam did play the the Texas freshmen and lost 35-0 in Austin (1916) and Texas JV and lost 35-7 in Huntsville (1917). Talk about way back, many centuries ago! I think dinosaurs were still hanging around Prichett Field then!

We did beat another UT, the University of Tampa, in 1953 by a score of 26-6 in Tampa...

Dallas Demon
October 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Wow, I'm surprised at Texas doing this. There's a possibility their strength-of-schedule could keep them out of the NC game this year. Very un-Texas-like, however good for SHSU, the Southland, and I-AA assuming you guys put on a good show.

blackfordpu
October 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
That is freaking insane. I wonder what TW's attitude will be toward that one.

bobcatfan06
October 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM
That is freaking insane. I wonder what TW's attitude will be toward that one.

That you "don't match up well" :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

beerkat
October 11th, 2005, 08:13 PM
well all of our fans cry and moan about getting new turf and a videoboard, now we schedule a payday game to get it, and they still cry and moan :bang:

Ivytalk
October 11th, 2005, 08:25 PM
All hail the mighty Kats! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

blackfordpu
October 11th, 2005, 09:32 PM
That you "don't match up well" :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Unfortunatly that is probably his way of thinking. :rolleyes:

McNeese75
October 11th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Hummm, just in time for Vince Edwards senior year :eek:

OH well, I doubt he can run for 80 pts :D

Good Luck to the Kats, The players will all enjoy the opportunity and experience. :)

kats89
October 11th, 2005, 10:45 PM
well all of our fans cry and moan about getting new turf and a videoboard, now we schedule a payday game to get it, and they still cry and moan :bang:

Hey, we can get paychecks from I-A's, but we don't need to go out and take on super powers. I mean come on, #2 ranked team in the land and will definitely be ranked in the top 5 to start the season next year. Who is crying about the money. We are b@#$hing and moaning about TW lackluster attitude toward this season. Let's be realistic here.
I guess I am just not too excited about the game with Coach Whitten at the helm. He has really disappointed me this season with comments he has been making all season so far. If he doesn't think he can handle it then he needs to move on and we will go find some one else that will believe in our program and kids. I will do everything I can to keep this program from sliding back into a meiocre brand of football.

PS And being a card carrying member of the alumni association and a 15 year season ticket holder allows me gripe and moan all I want. TW needs to pull the head out!!!

Green Cookie Monster
October 12th, 2005, 08:36 AM
All hail the mighty Kats! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Um, how about 80 points tacked on their forehead?

exbearkat
October 12th, 2005, 09:05 AM
We are getting those two things after THIS season due to the 'payday' from the UH and Texas Tech games.

kats89
October 12th, 2005, 09:24 AM
We are getting those two things after THIS season due to the 'payday' from the UH and Texas Tech games.

Ex, my understanding is that they already had the money for the turf in some account with the state of Texas. Maybe the extra money will really go towards the new weight facility also! That thing will cost more than the $250k that the Houston businessman donated last weekend to get the project off dead center.
What I will be interested to see is if the scoreboard will be in before season's end. The AD did say that it was goal for this year! (I know and you know it wont happen this year)

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Here's an article from the Statesmen. We're only getting $275,000 from this one instead of the $400,000 that I thought we would be. This explains quite a bit here about UT's situation. Sounds like how we landed NAIA football team Bacone...

Why Sam Houston

By Suzanne Halliburton | Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 12:35 PM

Sam Houston State was about 40th on the list of potential opponents for the Longhorns in 2006. But when Texas’ schedule for next year was released Tuesday, there was Division I-AA Sam Houston State slated to play the Longhorns on Sept. 30, 2006.

Butch Worley, the UT associate athletic director who puts together the football schedules, said he contacted schools from Conference USA, Sun Belt, MAC and the WAC. All turned him down.

The problems were twofold, he said. The Longhorns had only six months to look for an opponent, schedules normally are made out up to a decade in advance, and had a specific date to fill. Worley said he finally moved Iowa State, Texas’ Big 12 opener, from Sept. 30 to the 23rd in order to fill the slot with Sam Houston.

Division I-AA teams still come relatively cheap. Sam Houston will receive $275,000 for playing the Longhorns. Rice, a Division I-A opponent, earned $500,000 this season.

Said Worley: “Another thing I am finding is, the better our team is, the harder it is to get schools to play us. That is the case with both home-and-home series and guarantee games. Regardless, we don’t intend to schedule I-AA opponents in the future.”

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2005/10/12/why_sam_houston.html