PDA

View Full Version : More JMU posters

blur2005
October 11th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Just something I noticed, but there are a lot more JMU posters all of a sudden. I noticed some new "faces" in the UMass-JMU thread, and I think that's awesome.

umassfan
October 11th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Just something I noticed, but there are a lot more JMU posters all of a sudden. I noticed some new "faces" in the UMass-JMU thread, and I think that's awesome.
Will they all go away once the losing starts again though... that is the question... anyone can say they are a fan of a winner but what happens when they loose... As I recall, JMUs following a couple years ago was quite small.

boozeANDammo
October 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I've been here all along... just not so much on the AGS boards.

There are definitely a bunch of *new* JMU followers and that is to be expected... and not such a bad thing. Quite the opposite if you ask me.

DB_Atlantic10
October 11th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I'm new as my son is a new Duke this year...... Plus I never heard of AGS until I started following JMU/I-AA football this year. Last year it was HS.... :)

Umass74
October 11th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Welcome. We need all the I-AA fans we can get.

Come to the UMass-JMU game this Saturday. Mud. Football. Life does not get any better...

DB_Atlantic10
October 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM
UMass is a little too far, we did the Hofstra game and that was one wammy of a ride for 3.5 hours of football... :eek: I can't imagine the trip to UMass. But I have relatives in that areas that will be attending....

Umass74
October 11th, 2005, 04:43 PM
UMass is a little too far, we did the Hofstra game and that was one wammy of a ride for 3.5 hours of football... I can't imagine the trip to UMass. But I have relatives in that areas that will be attending....

Hey I went to Bridgeforth Stadium last year...

Hopefully our offense will play better this year. :)

charliej
October 11th, 2005, 06:35 PM
UMass is a little too far, we did the Hofstra game and that was one wammy of a ride for 3.5 hours of football... :eek: I can't imagine the trip to UMass. But I have relatives in that areas that will be attending....

:eek: Too far!?! To see the game of the year??? There's no such thing! :D

Hey DB,is your boy playing,or is he red shirted this year? If he's travelling with the team,I suggest you make as many games as possible.I was home listening to the game on the net the first time I heard my kids name announced.It won't happen again. ;)

blukeys
October 11th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Will they all go away once the losing starts again though... that is the question... anyone can say they are a fan of a winner but what happens when they loose... As I recall, JMUs following a couple years ago was quite small.

Hey I agree with a post of umassfan :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

There is hope for us all. Next problem World Peace. ;) ;) ;) :D :D

MR. CHICKEN
October 11th, 2005, 07:42 PM
MO' JMU POSTERS..........WHO LET DUH DAWGS OUT....WHO....WHO????........AWK!

DaGriz
October 11th, 2005, 07:46 PM

"If you win it they will come."

blur2005
October 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Wow, this is typical umassfan. Can you be positive about something besides Minutemen football? Of course the following was small a couple years ago...we were 2-9, then 6-6 before the championship season. I'd say we're here to stay though, as a championship is kind of a big deal for a program, espcially one that has such commitment from its university.

DB_Atlantic10
October 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
:eek: Too far!?! To see the game of the year??? There's no such thing! :D

Hey DB,is your boy playing,or is he red shirted this year? If he's travelling with the team,I suggest you make as many games as possible.I was home listening to the game on the net the first time I heard my kids name announced.It won't happen again. ;)

No, he's playing as a True Freshman and I've seen him play....but UMass is just too far, plus he will be using his tickets for relatives that live nearby in Maine.... Also this game will be on TV and I will be able to see him then.... ;)

JMUfan2008
October 11th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I started last year because I was a freshmen (what a year to start right :D ) and was never too concerned with I-AA football before that

charliej
October 11th, 2005, 10:45 PM
No, he's playing as a True Freshman and I've seen him play....but UMass is just too far, plus he will be using his tickets for relatives that live nearby in Maine.... Also this game will be on TV and I will be able to see him then.... ;)

Great! Well good luck to your son,it's great to watch em play! Hope to see more of you here,this place is lots of fun & THE place to get the pulse of I-AA

JMUDukes99
October 11th, 2005, 11:19 PM

Sure, I'll admit that I'm a newbie to the board. But I have been following JMU football since I was a freshman there in 1995.

btw, I'll be making the drive from Chicago to UMass for the game. It's my best chance to catch a game this year since almost all of the home games sell out. Well, except I will be traveling to Chatty to see them in the national championship again this year.

DaGriz
October 11th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by DaGriz

Sure, I'll admit that I'm a newbie to the board. But I have been following JMU football since I was a freshman there in 1995.

That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 08:25 AM
we were 2-9, then 6-6 before the championship season. I'd say we're here to stay though, as a championship is kind of a big deal for a program, espcially one that has such commitment from its university.
I appreciate your enthusiasm and loyalty, but if I hear one more JMU fan proclaim that they are here to stay, I'll puke. In the A10 alone, we heard the same thing from UMass fans after 1998-99. From Maine fans after two consecutive trips to the playoffs. Now, I'm not making any claims that JMU won't be good for a long time, I'm just saying a NC and throwing money at your facilities does not guarantee anything other than you'll have a banner to hang on your new facility. How about these....

Idaho State followed their 1981 National Championship with 2 winning seasons in the next 12 years.

Montana State followed their 1984 National Championship with 8 straight losing seasons.

Southern Illinois followed their 1983 National Championship with 2 winning seasons in the next 19 years.

Western Carolina followed their 1983 National Runner-Up with 2 winning seasons in their next 6 years.

SFA followed their 1989 National Runner-Up with 6 wins in the next 3 seasons combined.

LacesOut
October 12th, 2005, 08:30 AM
How about these....

Idaho State followed their 1981 National Championship with 2 winning seasons in the next 12 years.

Montana State followed their 1984 National Championship with 8 straight losing seasons.

Southern Illinois followed their 1983 National Championship with 2 winning seasons in the next 19 years.

Western Carolina followed their 1983 National Runner-Up with 2 winning seasons in their next 6 years.

SFA followed their 1989 National Runner-Up with 6 wins in the next 3 seasons combined.

Got any more examples?? Say, any in the last 15 years????

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Got any more examples?? Say, any in the last 15 years????
1998 UMass... two years later they were 3-8. Most of the teams that were in the NC from 1990 - 2000 were multiple trips (teams that have been at the top of I-AA for a long time) or have moved on to I-A. Since 2000, it's tough to say yet since we don't have much data. Colgate is 9-6 since making a trip to the NC game.

ChickenMan
October 12th, 2005, 08:40 AM
How about these runner ups...

'03... Colgate

'02... McNeese St

'99... YSU

only McNesse St has returned to the playoffs since their championship game appearences and McNeese was blown out... at home ... in that 1st round '03 game.

HensRock
October 12th, 2005, 09:17 AM
How about '03 Delaware?
...remains to be seen.

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Mr Kettle, Mr. Pot.

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 09:44 AM
8 Yankee/A10 titles in 19 years, 13 trips to the playoffs, 3 losing seasons in 25 years of I-AA play and 12 ten+ winning seasons since 1970 and attendance over 20,000 nearly every year since expanding the Tub in 1975...

jski1977
October 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Many, like me, have stuck to the CAAZone boards. I just decided yesterday to broaden my horizons :D

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Many, like me, have stuck to the CAAZone boards. I just decided yesterday to broaden my horizons :D
Probably because basketball season is getting closer and the zone has a little too much roundball for my liking. :p Welcome jski!

ChickenMan
October 12th, 2005, 10:17 AM

this is the place to be... the CAA board is still more concerned with that round ball stuff...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I have been on this board for a while, but i read so much more often than I ever post. It is a much better board for getting the entire picture of the national football scene for I-AA. Nevertheless, my CAAZone bretheren can tell you that we get into a lot of details about tailgates, viewing parties, other JMU Sports posts, etc. that just would not be appropriate on AGS. As a Dukes fan, that is my board of choice, and as a football fan this is my board of choice.

So I have changed my name to help those that know me there know me here too...

One big key to the survival of GREAT Dukes football will be the length of the term for Mickey Matthews as Head Coach. When he did not go to Marshall, I had a feeling he may be sticking around at JMU for quite a long time. With any luck, he'll help bring us more championships. The first was sweet, I can only imagine them getting sweeter!

DB_Atlantic10
October 12th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I appreciate your enthusiasm and loyalty, but if I hear one more JMU fan proclaim that they are here to stay, I'll puke. In the A10 alone, we heard the same thing from UMass fans after 1998-99. From Maine fans after two consecutive trips to the playoffs. Now, I'm not making any claims that JMU won't be good for a long time, I'm just saying a NC and throwing money at your facilities does not guarantee anything other than you'll have a banner to hang on your new facility. How about these....

Theory:

The one thing JMU has in it's favor is the crop of recruiting talent from the well known Tidewater/Richmond and other areas of Virginia. Every since Mr Groh took over at UVA, the same year the Dukes were 2-9, they were able to pick up a lot of in-state talent that UVA no longer recruits (Banks, Fenner, Boxley, Davis..the list goes on). Every since then, JMU, W&M and even Hampton have become local powers (all 3 making the playoffs and ranked). V-Tech gets one half of the talent, with a solid 89 man VA roster and 18 of their 22 Starter's being from in state. JMU has increased their roster two-fold with in-state and players from those areas combined, something they could not do in the past. The Dukes signed 30 players in last years class (I-AA maximum), with 18 from in-state. That's unheard of from a I-AA program. That my friends is what you call depth......

So in my opinion, as long as Groh is at UVA, the Dukes will be a powerhouse, since he prefers players from the Jersey/PA and other out of state areas, especially skill positions. The good news is, his contract was extended to 2010. ;) So get used to the Dukes...

ChickenMan
October 12th, 2005, 10:52 AM
How about '03 Delaware?
...remains to be seen.

UD did make and win a playoff game in '04... ;)

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Theory
Well that's the first possibly valid theory I've actually heard from a JMU fan regarding future success. :beerchug: