PDA

View Full Version : Tougher for athletes in cold or hot weather?

CharlestonAppFan
June 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I know, FT06 & udchuck, another freakin Appalachian State thread xoopsx but with all the debating going on, which is it? I think the frigid frozen tundra would be worse...

woffordgrad94
June 5th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I know, FT06 & udchuck, another freakin Appalachian State thread xoopsx but with all the debating going on, which is it?

I say hot weather. Once players get moving and get to playing, I don't think cold bothers them nearly as much. But in hot weather, they must keep hydrated at all times or they'll get craps, heat exhaustion, and even risk a stroke.

813Jag
June 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I say cold weather, because with the heat there's a chance that you can cool off, and there's not too many places in the country that don't get hot at some point in the year. Although either extreme is no fun.

Folks from warm weather places get intimidated by cold weather, I remember reading stories when Nicholls went to Montana for a playoff game. They were worried about the snow and cold before they even left Thibodaux.

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
cold....the football feels like a rock when kicked

IndianaAppMan
June 5th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I say cold weather, because with the heat there's a chance that you can cool off, and there's not too many places in the country that don't get hot at some point in the year. Although either extreme is no fun.

Folks from warm weather places get intimidated by cold weather, I remember reading stories when Nicholls went to Montana for a playoff game. They were worried about the snow and cold before they even left Thibodaux.

Cold weather's definitely worse. In the hot weather, you can always splash cold more water on your face, sit next to the fan when on the sidelines, and rehydrate. There's always a way to get relief.

This reminds of when I went running on a rare bright and sunny (but still frigid cold) day this January. It was about 4 degrees outside. Thoroughly bundled up with my only exposure to the air being my eyes & nose, I only could go for about fifteen minutes. Air that cold hurts my chest regardless of how warm the rest of me is. Soon after, I saw the Giants-Packers game. I don't know how those guys could play in that.

CSUBUCDAD
June 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hot weather affects your endurance. Cold weather affects you performance from the get go.

danefan
June 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hot weather for one reason - dehydration. Cramping will take even the most well-conditioned and toughest player out of the game. When your muscles stop working you have no choice.

Cold weather can be cured with layers and jackets on the sideline.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Definitely heat.

While the frozen ball can hurt your fingers and the frozen tundra can hurt when tackled, you don't die. Heat kills people. Football players die every Summer.

In cold weather layers can be added for comfort. You can warm up before the athletic endeavor, get the blood flowing and become comfortable. I've been out cross country skiing in -25 (wind chill) and worked up a sweat. Walking 18 holes of golf in 95 heat will turn me into a babbling idiot.

In heat football players have a minimum amount of clothing that has to be worn and it is way more than anyone would want to wear doing anything as strenuous as football. Unless you are in fantastic shape, the heat can be debilitating.

Do you recall the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles when it was mid 80's and how concerned they were about the marathon runners. They heat up their bodies so much just from the event that even the 80's are crushing heat. There is a reason why the Boston Marathon is in April and the NY Marathon is in October. And heat was one of the negative factors in the evaluation of Atlanta as an Olympic site, correct?

813Jag
June 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hot weather for one reason - dehydration. Cramping will take even the most well-conditioned and toughest player out of the game. When your muscles stop working you have no choice.

Cold weather can be cured with layers and jackets on the sideline.
I think it also depends on what you're used to, for me no number of layers will truly keep me comfortable. (that's probably mental) I think that's the main factor that comes into play especially for us Southern teams. I think it's easier to survive and win in the heat than it is in the cold.

bobbythekidd
June 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hands down cold weather

813Jag
June 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Looks like a South/North debate here. xlolx

citdog
June 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Looks like a South/North debate here. xlolx

GAME ON!xlolx xlolx xrotatehx

thmst30
June 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
If you've played in both, its no contest. Freezing cold weather is the true hell.

mmiller_34
June 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
nothing worse than playing in sub zero temps

GOKATS
June 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I think it depends on what the teams are used to. Teams in the south are used to high temps and humidity and acclimate- those conditions kill a team from the north. Conversely teams from the north are used to playing in the cold, snow, etc., and acclimate- teams from the south have a tough time adjusting to the cold and snow. All in all I think hot, humid is worse than cold, snowy though.

ericsaid
June 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I would say hot weather for a soccer player considering while i was watching the Manchester and Chealsea they ran over 9 miles a game.

For football players who have time to rehydrate, I say cold weather.

Grizzaholic
June 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I think it depends on what the teams are used to. Teams in the south are used to high temps and humidity and acclimate- those conditions kill a team from the north. Conversely teams from the north are used to playing in the cold, snow, etc., and acclimate- teams from the south have a tough time adjusting to the cold and snow. All in all I think hot, humid is worse than cold, snowy though.

Kind of my thought on the subject. It doesn't get sub zero that often and when it does it doesn't go Siberia style, but it does get hot and humid through fall in the south. I would think that one could warm up with exersize and stay warm easier than trying to cool off and stay cool on a hot and humid day.

BEAR
June 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I say hot weather. Once players get moving and get to playing, I don't think cold bothers them nearly as much. But in hot weather, they must keep hydrated at all times or they'll get craps, heat exhaustion, and even risk a stroke.

Ouch! ....and ewwwwww.....smelly.....xlolx xlolx xlolx

JBB
June 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Didnt vote, no option for doesnt matter. If you are relying on the weather you are missing something. Football is best inside where the work of the athletes and coaches is not dependent on a slippery ball, wind, cold or heat depleting the players.

Whats the use of playing a big game with a built in excuse?

Franks Tanks
June 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I would say hot weather for a soccer player considering while i was watching the Manchester and Chealsea they ran over 9 miles a game.

For football players who have time to rehydrate, I say cold weather.

Soccer?? Please. Those guys weight 160 and wear T-Shirts and shorts. Try being close to 300 lbs and wearing all that FB equipment in the heat. I have already lost 11 in one game.

So for linemen the cold is absolutely better then heat as there is a chance we might literally keel over. For guys who have to throw or catch the ball, they would prefer heat I am sure.

AZGrizFan
June 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Getting hit in the cold weather, it feels like you're going to just shatter. It hurts so damned bad just thinking about it!!! xeekx xeekx xeekx

TwinTownBisonFan
June 5th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Coldest game i played in was 19 at kickoff... that was tough... but when you're on the field you're pretty warm.

hottest game i played in was 88 with dew points in the high 60s (muggy as hell). I cramped the hell out of my left hamstring... missed a whole series (long scoring drive)... threw up in the 4th quarter too

Grizzaholic
June 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Didnt vote, no option for doesnt matter. If you are relying on the weather you are missing something. Football is best inside where the work of the athletes and coaches is not dependent on a slippery ball, wind, cold or heat depleting the players.

Whats the use of playing a big game with a built in excuse?

ok....go play in a dome.

Retro
June 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Even though i believe that teams not used to humidity in the south are at a disadvantage unless properly conditioned, Cold weather is toughest.. When you get colder, you can't move as much.. Even with layered clothing it hampers your movement to your normal ability.. You can only warm up so much on a sideline for either team.. Not only that a cold surface is usually icy and slippery even without snow.

With humidity, you can prepare yourself by the condition you're in and you can rehydrate yourself throughout the game.. Of course, if your not conditioned properly, humidity will tear you down quick. Now it can get slippery because of high humidity on a bad surface on occasion too.

bisonguy
June 5th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Hands down, cold weather.

Hot weather is typically just a matter of conditioning/hydration to overcome. Case in point, NDSU looked better in the fourth quarter versus southern teams whose fans stated a northern team would be melting in the second half.

Those same southern teams would be psychologically decimated playing in a game that was 20 degrees with 30 mph winds, where the football feels like a rock, the field makes a parking lot feel like a comfy bed, they've lost most of the feeling in their hands, they're huddled around sideline heaters with jackets on, only to look across the field and see the opposing team's O-linemen standing on the sideline wearing short sleeves.

Grizzaholic
June 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Hot weather is typically just a matter of conditioning/hydration to overcome. Case in point, NDSU looked better in the fourth quarter versus southern teams whose fans stated a northern team would be melting in the second half.

Those same southern teams would be psychologically decimated playing in a game that was 20 degrees with 30 mph winds, where the football feels like a rock, the field makes a parking lot feel like a comfy bed, they've lost most of the feeling in their hands, they're huddled around sideline heaters with jackets on, only to look across the field and see the opposing team's O-linemen standing on the sideline wearing short sleeves.

that is one of the best sights in football.

BEAR
June 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I think it all depends on the individual. (obviously) I attended a game in Little Rock where the outside temp. was 105 and the field temp at War was 130 degrees. Add to that the lineman wearing full pads and uniforms change colors quickly! Add the humidity and breathing becomes impossible. Hence the reason the ambulances are left running in the back of the end zone. But the flip side of that is the warm weather players are shattered by the cold. Tough decision.

The real question is:

What's worse, mosquitos down south or black flies up north?

(I've lived both places and they both(the bugs) suck!)xrulesx xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 5th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Being able to play in the heat isn't just a matter of having good cardiovascular conditioning. People who live in cooler climate's blood vessels generally don't dilate as well. I believe the last northern team that GSU played in the daytime early in the season (as in no later than September) was Delaware in 2001. Those boys were completely worn out in the second half. Their intensity declined. It wasn't even typical southern summer temperature that day. You can't tell me that it does not affect someone who is not used to it.

And like someone else said, no one has ever gotten hypothermia doing rigorous activity, but plenty of people have gotten hyperthermia and some of them have died.

bisonguy
June 5th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I think it all depends on the individual. (obviously) I attended a game in Little Rock where the outside temp. was 105 and the field temp at War was 130 degrees. Add to that the lineman wearing full pads and uniforms change colors quickly! Add the humidity and breathing becomes impossible. Hence the reason the ambulances are left running in the back of the end zone. But the flip side of that is the warm weather players are shattered by the cold. Tough decision.

The real question is:

What's worse, mosquitos down south or black flies up north?

(I've lived both places and they both(the bugs) suck!)xrulesx xlolx

Breathing isn't exactly easy when the temps get below freezing. We used to run on a track in a hockey arena in highschool during the winter, and your lungs would absolutely burn from the cold.

KAUMASS
June 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Good question for a poll, but the true answer here is based upon the individual athlete. I played in 95 humid, hot weather and I played 4 degree weather with wind chill about -20. There were some guys on our team that could take the heat better and some guys had a hard time playing in the severe cold. I liked playing in the colder weather better. We didn't have any mist fans blowing on us back then either for the hot games, so maybe it's not as bad today. Perfect temperature for me at gametime was at 58-60 degrees.

Hoyadestroya85
June 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM
hot weather.. because it is easier to protect yourself from the cold than it is to protect yourself from the heat

blackfordpu
June 5th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Heat, no question.

uofmman1122
June 5th, 2008, 11:52 PM
ITT: People vote for heat who have no idea what it's like to play in cold weather. xwhistlex:p

Cold weather, hands, arms, legs, and frost-bitten toes down. xnodx

AppStFan76
June 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I voted cold weather.

I think its funny that right now his poll is 50/50xlolx

andy7171
June 6th, 2008, 08:22 AM
No question, hot weather is the worst.
I've played in both, and sure it REALLy sucks on the sidelines when its bitter cold, but if you're playing, you are sweating and warm, only when you come off the field does the cold start to get to you. Sideline heaters and jackets solve that.

If it's hot and humid, there is nothing you can do. You can only cool off so much. Ice towels are great, but if you are involved in a long drive, tough *****.

Bottomline- I don't know of any players who have died playing in the cold. Can't say that about the heat.

catdaddy2402
June 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Heat without a doubt, especially here in the South where it's typically so humid you can cut the air. It gets to the point where your body is sweating all it can yet because the air is so humid there is no evaporation of the sweat going on. The heat saps your strength, and the less dense hot air makes oxygen transfer that much harder, so your body has to work even harder just to oxygenate your blood.

As has been mentioned several times in the thread already....when was the last time somebody died of the cold because of football?

TheValleyRaider
June 6th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I would probably say the heat only because I'm not overly used to it. It definately can sap your strength in that "I can't even sweat" kind of way.

Still, if you're not used to the cold, that can be pretty brutal as well. For all those moments where you're not playing, it can get pretty frigid, and it doesn't take long for the ball, the ground, the other team to start feeling like rocks every time you make contact

DRocksDad
June 6th, 2008, 08:59 AM
heat = potential game ending cramps. I have alsways said, its easier to add a layer for warmth. its not so easy to peel your skin off for cooling down.

elcid96
June 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
If you read through the thread, many (not all) of the southern fans say cold is the hardest and the northern fans say that the hot is the hardest. It seems we fear the unknown.

Franks Tanks
June 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Anyone who would rather play in the heat has obviously never strapped it up on a sweltering day. Ya the cold stinks too, but once you get warmed up it is really not a big deal, you really do feel fine.

In the opressive heat you sweat so bad it looks like you jumped in a pool, everything is soggy wet and heavy. It is so hot under the helmet it feels like your brain is cooking. After the game you are so tired you literally cant move. My friends and I would usually just sit around after a game like that unable to go out boozing or even eat. You feel terrible from dehydration.

mebisonII
June 6th, 2008, 09:08 AM
If you read through the thread, many (not all) of the southern fans say cold is the hardest and the northern fans say that the hot is the hardest. It seems we fear the unknown.

Yep, and I'd tend to fit the trend. Playing in the cold has got to hurt, but, as has been said, if its brutally cold you play and heat up whereas if its hot you play and...heat up.

What are the temp limits at which football games (outdoor obviously) will be cancelled? I'm pretty sure NDSU has played games where windchill was close to or at zero, but I can't imagine they could go much lower for the safety of the players. There must be an upper limit too, I would assume. Would a game get cancelled for 100 degree temps + high humidity?

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Hot weather because of dehydration, it affects your system and has side effects you don't get in cold weather. You fatigue faster, cramps, and you may even be able to make an argument about injuries occurring more when its hot out.

Another factor is the mental game both play on an athlete.

SeattleGriz
June 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Depends on the sport and how much you are moving. The sport I was decent at, cycling, the cold killed me.

andy7171
June 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Yep, and I'd tend to fit the trend. Playing in the cold has got to hurt, but, as has been said, if its brutally cold you play and heat up whereas if its hot you play and...heat up.

What are the temp limits at which football games (outdoor obviously) will be cancelled? I'm pretty sure NDSU has played games where windchill was close to or at zero, but I can't imagine they could go much lower for the safety of the players. There must be an upper limit too, I would assume. Would a game get cancelled for 100 degree temps + high humidity?

Our trainer would take temp and humidity tests before practices. I think the NCAA regulates when you can practice, but as far as games, I don't think anything exists.

ericsaid
June 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
People who excersize and eat enough meat shouldn't cramp, i played everything from basketball, baseball, football and soccer(played foward or striker, so ran a lotttt). Never got cramps, some games in the 90's some games in the 70's.

I imagine with the right nutrition it wouldnt be as bad, and with App coming down to sea level from 3333ft., they will get more than enough oxygen.(i.e. higher altitude=thinner air= less oxygen)

HiHiYikas
June 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM
This isn't a hard question at all. Just go to the Runners' World website, pull up their race calendar, and compare the number of major marathons scheduled December - March as opposed to June - August.

I've raced a 5K in 100-degree heat (it's almost impossible to find a longer race outside the mountains during July), and a 20-miler in 1-below-zero cold. Both were wretched - I don't want to do either again anytime soon.

But I didn't get dizzy or vomit when it was 1-below.

PapaBear
June 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Well, here's one way to look at the question ...

Would you rather be playing in Orono in December, or in Florida or Mississippi in late August? (Or even in Williamsburg in late August, for that matter.)

I'll take the Orono date any day. Cold just makes you enjoy hitting more. Stifling heat and humidity ... there's literally nothing you can do to escape the discomfort.

JBB
June 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
NDSU does play in a Dome so we will have perfect game conditions for every home game. Obviously thats the best football.

Games like the NFC championship game last year in Green Bay shouldnt be played. It was simply too cold and too much was riding on it. The venue should have been changed. No player can function at a top level in those conditions.

For most college games it doesnt matter.

For the athletes I would say to a point, cold is better. Heat kills.

woffordgrad94
June 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Ouch! ....and ewwwwww.....smelly.....xlolx xlolx xlolx
HaHaHa, oops, I meant CRAMPS! :o Oh well, I don't think I can fix it now!:(

TheValleyRaider
June 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM
NDSU does play in a Dome so we will have perfect game conditions for every home game. Obviously thats the best football.

Obviously xrolleyesx

Games like the NFC championship game last year in Green Bay shouldnt be played. It was simply too cold and too much was riding on it. The venue should have been changed. No player can function at a top level in those conditions.

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NFC+Championship+New+York+Giants+v+Green+Bay+Aqd_H z6bcwOl.jpg
What are you talking about? The weather's just fine

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Others have also posted about games on this date so I'm sure they'll correct me if I've got the date wrong. On Nov. 21, 1987 UNH played at UConn and IIRC the wind chill was around -30. I don't recall the actual temperature. I do remember being among the 1,500 who attended the game. I joked that I must have looked like the Michelin Man because I had so many layers of clothes on. xnodx xlolx

Despite the frigid conditions that day, the score was 31-21 (unfortunately, the Sled Dogs won, I guess there is a certain symmetry there xwhistlex ). The weather didn't slow the teams down anywhere near as much as a couple of recent monsoon games, W&M over UNH 9-7 in 2004 and UNH over Hofstra 10-6 in 2006.

DFW HOYA
June 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Extreme heat is very difficult on the body, esp. wearing pads and other gear.

Jerbearasu
June 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM
If you are just talking about the hot or cold I would say hot because like everyone else has said with the dehydration and fatigue factors it really hits you hard and with the cold you do warm up a bit when you are running around. But if you are talking about the elements of snow and ice then cold would come into play because it would make your performance sloppier so that would be harder to play well in.