View Full Version : LSU Blog: Did LSU Move The Game To Stymie ASU?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=opinion-lsu-needs-the-heat-to-beat-appal&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

LSU will be very good this season because it still will have a great defensive line and very good backs, receivers and offensive linemen to help bring a quarterback or two or three along.

Appalachian State, meanwhile, returns much of its national championship team, including quarterback Armanti Edwards. Appalachian State, which knocked off Michigan last season in the Big House, is a very difficult first opponent for LSU, particularly with a nervous quarterback under center in front of 90,000. It would have been better to start Lee’s career at Mississippi State, which Matt Flynn enjoyed last season.

LSU does not need App. State to be comfortable and somewhat cool at a 7 p.m. kickoff. LSU needs App. State, which is located in cooler Boone, N.C., to be hot and bothered. When App. State is “warming up” at the 3 p.m. hot point of the day, it’s going to realize it’s in hell.

LSU needs a defensive game against App. State. It doesn’t need to have to rely on Lee or Hatch completing passes. LSU needs a 4 p.m. kickoff on Aug. 30.

xeyebrowx

grizband
June 5th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I love the comment that LSU would have been better served to begin the season playing Mississippi State. xthumbsupx This writer sounds worried about App State, as he focuses heavily on the weather advantage and how this relates to kickoff.

AlphaSigMD
June 5th, 2008, 03:07 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=opinion-lsu-needs-the-heat-to-beat-appal&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

xeyebrowx

I remember it being pretty damn hot at the Michigan game. It was easily in the high 80's. I was sporting black and gold, and damn near my melting point.

Also, Justice Hall, where most of the Football team lives, doesn't have Air Conditioning. It gets pretty hot in the summer in Boone...(its 3333 feet closer to the Sun than Baton Rouge xthumbsupx ) So all things considered, I think that the hot temp will be a non-issue.

FCS Go!
June 5th, 2008, 03:14 PM
This (heat/time change) will only matter if App St lets it get into their heads. LSU will be playing on the same field after all and its not like it doesn't get humid in Boone in August. Championship caliber teams routinely overcome this type of stuff. I'm thinking App St can handle it. xnodx

blueballs
June 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Don't confuse Ann Arbor, MI's warm weather with Baton Rouge, LA. a very different beast indeed, pun intended.

The heat and humidity of lower Louisiana combined with LSU's superior depth will be a factor. Just like playing in Florida, Louisiana is hot and humid and if you aren't from there there is no quick way to acclimate, especially when outnumbered.

App will be a big underdog in this game... some folks are suffering "paralysis by analysis" with too much time on their hands to analyze and dream up situations.

813Jag
June 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM

xeyebrowx
You better believe that LSU nor their fans are happy about a 4 P.M. start time.

813Jag
June 5th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I remember it being pretty damn hot at the Michigan game. It was easily in the high 80's. I was sporting black and gold, and damn near my melting point.

Also, Justice Hall, where most of the Football team lives, doesn't have Air Conditioning. It gets pretty hot in the summer in Boone...(its 3333 feet closer to the Sun than Baton Rouge xthumbsupx ) So all things considered, I think that the hot temp will be a non-issue.
As they say the heat will not be a problem, the humidity will be the issue. Better hope it doesn't rain before the game, it'll really be humid then. But I do agree that ASU will be prepared and ready to play. Just don't underestimate the humidity especially in August/September.

FCS Go!
June 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
...The heat and humidity of lower Louisiana combined with LSU's superior depth will be a factor...
...App will be a big underdog in this game... some folks are suffering "paralysis by analysis" with too much time on their hands to analyze and dream up situations.

True that. I think they'll play well... but still get clobbered pretty soundly.

Grizzaholic
June 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM

The closer to the sun from earth you go it gets colder. Just facts. xwhistlex

McNeese72
June 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yeah, right!!! LSU is going move a game (and piss off a lot of their fan base that like night games) just to get a weather advantage on App. St.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tell me another one.

I guarantee it was moved from a night game because of TV.

Doc

AshevilleApp2
June 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I think that App will be well conditioned, but it's difficult to prepare for weather you don't experience on a regular basis. I remember ASU losing a playoff game to Northwestern State back in the '90's when we had several players cramp up and have to leave the game.

AppFan56
June 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I think that its great for them to think the heat is going to give them a big advantage. Let them think that we're a big crawfish pie coming to Baton Rouge to feed the Tiger. Our guys will make a few plays before its all over GUAR-ON-TEED WHEW!

813Jag
June 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I think that its great for them to think the heat is going to give them a big advantage. Let them think that we're a big crawfish pie coming to Baton Rouge to feed the Tiger. Our guys will make a few plays before its all over GUAR-ON-TEED WHEW!
The only people that think that are the same ones who think they can beat Florida, Georgia, etc. 65-0. Those fans have 0 respect for any team. I highly doubt the team will play that way. Maybe in the DiNardo days. xlolx

lizrdgizrd
June 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Jerry'll have the heat on and some misters running while practicing in our new indoor facility to help mimic the conditions on the ground. :D

WUTNDITWAA
June 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM
For people used to being in Boone year-round, July and August can be extremely oppressive, because there is almost no wind. Is it as bad as Louisiana? Nope. But it's not cool by any means. We might not win. We might wear down. I have full confidence that the strength and conditioning coach will have the guys as prepared as humanly possible for the 4 p.m. kickoff.

813Jag
June 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
For people used to being in Boone year-round, July and August can be extremely oppressive, because there is almost no wind. Is it as bad as Louisiana? Nope. But it's not cool by any means. We might not win. We might wear down. I have full confidence that the strength and conditioning coach will have the guys as prepared as humanly possible for the 4 p.m. kickoff.
One way to look at it is unless the game was at 4 a.m., then it would be hot no matter what time it's played. xlolx

BarefootApp
June 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Let's just lace 'em up and enjoy the fact that the season IS FINALLY HERE! Win, lose, or sweat, it's college football, baby...

thmst30
June 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Its going to be mid-80's to low 90's all week here in Boone. With a lot of sunshine and humidity. Unless its in the upper 90's or something crazy I see no problem with the heat. It could very easily be a cloudy mid-80's day when we play down there and we have more than our fair share of days like that, so it won't be anything new to our players. This whole weather thing is blown WAY out of proportion. Until gameday is here nobody knows how hot hot hot (or not) it is going to be.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/thmst30/Picture3.png

ericsaid
June 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I live near boone and only an hour away today watching the news I saw temperature that was 101.

ericsaid
June 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
LSU won't exactly be invincible to the heat. They have an indoor practice facility and i'm sure they will use it.

Retro
June 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Some advice to App state... Don't practice inside during august camp unless it's lightning.. When outside practicing, light several bond fires around the field to reflect the intense parallel heat that humidity is.

The best way to describe high humidity in the south to people who haven't spent any real time in it, is to stick your face as close to an actual fire as you can before the heat is too much.. That's about the comparision. Even at night the temp and humidity hovers around 80 for most of the summer down here.

The closer to the equator you are, the hotter it is and the more humid.

Retro
June 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Its going to be mid-80's to low 90's all week here in Boone. With a lot of sunshine and humidity. Unless its in the upper 90's or something crazy I see no problem with the heat. It could very easily be a cloudy mid-80's day when we play down there and we have more than our fair share of days like that, so it won't be anything new to our players. This whole weather thing is blown WAY out of proportion. Until gameday is here nobody knows how hot hot hot (or not) it is going to be.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/thmst30/Picture3.png

That's ideal weather my friend.. Anytime the temp is below 90 and the humidity is below 80 it's perfect..

McNeese72
June 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Well down here the high temps are a little above 90 already and with the humidities from around 70-80% the heat index is already at 100 degrees. And this is just June.

And, if it is cloudy in August, that will mean there are a lot of thermal thundershowers running around. You definitely don't want to have a short thundershower before the game with it clearing up and the sun coming out before or during the game. Then it will feel like a fricking steam bath. If you don't believe me, just ask the Jag fan.

Doc

thmst30
June 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM
That's ideal weather my friend.. Anytime the temp is below 90 and the humidity is below 80 it's perfect..
I'm not comparing our weather to Baton Rouge. I'm just saying its not 60s-70s all summer here. So this weather issue is overrated IMO. Plus I've been about as far south as you can go (including Louisiana and much further down), and worked outside every day for 9+ hours doing construction and playing sports, the heat is overrated. I hate listening to people talk about southern heat.

Big Al
June 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
The best way to describe high humidity in the south to people who haven't spent any real time in it, is to stick your face as close to an actual fire as you can before the heat is too much.. That's about the comparision.

That sounds more like the desert SW to me. The South in summertime reminded me more like someone was trying to smother you with a steaming hot bathtowel. Oppressive.

SideLine Shooter
June 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM

I believe Apps conditioning coach came from LSU so he will know how to cope as best you can.

Retro
June 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I'm not comparing our weather to Baton Rouge. I'm just saying its not 60s-70s all summer here. So this weather issue is overrated IMO. Plus I've been about as far south as you can go (including Louisiana and much further down), and worked outside every day for 9+ hours doing construction and playing sports, the heat is overrated. I hate listening to people talk about southern heat.

It's not overrated if you're not used to it.. Plain and Simple.. I've lived in the DEEP south for most of my life except for a few years in germany and even still it's tough on anyone whose not prepared for it, especially if your going to be out in it working or playing to any degree! I spend a lot of time in the spring and summer outside doing work on our property, so if i don't get out in the spring and start getting used to it then, it's even hard on me and i'm in good shape compared to most my age. It's all in the preparation!xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
June 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM
The Advertiser is the Lafayette, LA, newspaper. Their university, Louisiana Lafayette, has a huge wannabe complex over LSU. Their newspaper, as evidenced by its decision to call the school the University of Louisiana, is a ULL homer.

I wonder if the author would say LSU shouldn't schedule ULL as it has in recent years. Doubt it.

dungeonjoe
June 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
when it rains in Baton Rouge, it feels like it is raining sideways. Humidity will be the greatest enemy. Heat you can stand...

ericsaid
June 5th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I like how everyone thinks North Carolina isn't in the south or hot. If this was the Citadel playing LSU everyone in Lousiana would be talking about the heat but during the summer the heat index down there is around 115.

In Boone it still gets pretty warm and with the storms that pop up all the time it's humid.

They don't practice in the indoor facility unless its raining or lightning anyway. So LSU won't be so much more conditioned then App and Tim Washington when he came to App said the summer camp was harder then anything he did at LSU.

LSU won't absolutely(meaning there will be more speed in certain positions) outrun App, and there won't be a giant stamina gap.

rudy1648
June 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
You have to consider that most of the players for ASU are not from Boone. Many are from Fla, SC or eastern NC, where the summers are just as hot and humid as La. And from ther weather we have been having around here lately (95 today), if the summer continues this way, the players will be fairly use to the hot conditions. I remember last year's home opener,,,it was stifling in Boone that day, when you add to that the heat generated by the artificial surface of KB, as apposed to the natural grass in LSU, and the weather may not be that big of a factor.

bobbythekidd
June 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
From the thread welcoming mountain_man...

#35. Arguing about whether or not is colder in one FCS city versus another and what sort of advantage that gives is stupid, do not partake.-ASU Kep

xtwocentsx

ASUMountaineer
June 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Don't confuse Ann Arbor, MI's warm weather with Baton Rouge, LA. a very different beast indeed, pun intended.

The heat and humidity of lower Louisiana combined with LSU's superior depth will be a factor. Just like playing in Florida, Louisiana is hot and humid and if you aren't from there there is no quick way to acclimate, especially when outnumbered.

App will be a big underdog in this game... some folks are suffering "paralysis by analysis" with too much time on their hands to analyze and dream up situations.

I burned the same in MI as I would in LA. Doubt that counts for anything. I used to live in Michigan and that was the hottest it had ever been. I really don't think the weather is going to be the issue.

ASUMountaineer
June 5th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Also, Justice Hall, where most of the Football team lives, doesn't have Air Conditioning. It gets pretty hot in the summer in Boone...(its 3333 feet closer to God than Baton Rouge xthumbsupx ) So all things considered, I think that the hot temp will be a non-issue.

I think he was making a joke, hence the thumbs up. Nevertheless, I fixed it for him/ you.

thmst30
June 5th, 2008, 09:08 PM
From the thread welcoming mountain_man...

#35. Arguing about whether or not is colder in one FCS city versus another and what sort of advantage that gives is stupid, do not partake.-ASU Kep

xtwocentsx
xnodx

GeauxColonels
June 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Something crazy? That's pretty typical my friend. Believe me, there are 2 major reasons why LSU fans don't want this game at 4pm:
[1] Less time to tailgate
[2] HEAT!!!

The heat will be pretty bad with even worse humidty. And in south Louisiana, afternoon summer thunderstorms are the norm. So I can DEFINITELY for see a thunderstorm interupting the game or even pushing back the start time. After that, it will only be worse.

As for Glenn Guilbeau, JohnStOnge is right on the money. He's from Lafayette and there's a fairly sizeable contingent there that has this fierce hatred and jealousy for LSU. They don't refer to the school as Louisiana-Lafayette or ULL. They practically REFUSE to use the second L regardless of the fact that the other University of Louisiana (Monroe) could do the same thing. Their softball team wore "Louisiana" on their helmets in the WCWS. The PA announcer at the football games refer to them as "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns" - nevermind the fact that no one outside of Lafayette gives a rats ass about the school.

WUTNDITWAA
June 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM
You have to consider that most of the players for ASU are not from Boone. Many are from Fla, SC or eastern NC, where the summers are just as hot and humid as La. And from ther weather we have been having around here lately (95 today), if the summer continues this way, the players will be fairly use to the hot conditions. I remember last year's home opener,,,it was stifling in Boone that day, when you add to that the heat generated by the artificial surface of KB, as apposed to the natural grass in LSU, and the weather may not be that big of a factor.

You may be on to something there. A good hose soaking of the field around 10 a.m. should have the place good and steamy by noon on a hot, stagnate Boone day. xthumbsupx

thmst30
June 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Something crazy? That's pretty typical my friend. Believe me, there are 2 major reasons why LSU fans don't want this game at 4pm:
[2] HEAT!!!

The heat will be pretty bad with even worse humidty. And in south Louisiana, afternoon summer thunderstorms are the norm. So I can DEFINITELY for see a thunderstorm interupting the game or even pushing back the start time. After that, it will only be worse.

As for Glenn Guilbeau, JohnStOnge is right on the money. He's from Lafayette and there's a fairly sizeable contingent there that has this fierce hatred and jealousy for LSU. They don't refer to the school as Louisiana-Lafayette or ULL. They practically REFUSE to use the second L regardless of the fact that the other University of Louisiana (Monroe) could do the same thing. Their softball team wore "Louisiana" on their helmets in the WCWS. The PA announcer at the football games refer to them as "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns" - nevermind the fact that no one outside of Lafayette gives a rats ass about the school.
Notice I said OR something crazy.

Retro
June 5th, 2008, 11:26 PM
[2] HEAT!!!

Sorry to get off the subject, but you bring up something interesting that i brought up last year..

They're not even using their name in the correct form.. If they are going to call themselves Louisiana, then it should be Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, not Louisiana's? It's not Michigan's wolverines, Texas's Longhorns, Alabama's crimson tide.. It's not a plural usage. It doesn't make any sense and they are in fact not LOUISIANA'S ragin cajun's, only lafayette's for that matter... The fact they use it in a plural sense is totally stupid.

phillyAPP
June 6th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Hey 56, I believe your getting addicted to the App chat. lol

I'll be in NJ/NY July 18-20.

Good Luck to the other # 56, I hope he works into the rotation. I read what you wrote about the tag-out system and didn't like the idea. I hope they change it.

AppFan56
June 6th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Hey 56, I believe your getting addicted to the App chat. lol

I'll be in NJ/NY July 18-20.

Good Luck to the other # 56, I hope he works into the rotation. I read what you wrote about the tag-out system and didn't like the idea. I hope they change it.

He's working out hard - looks pretty big to me. He'll go hard in camp hopefully he'll make it hard for them to leave him off the field. As far as players taking themselves out (tapping out) thats up to the coaches but there has to be a reason the line had trouble making tackles. Hopefully its not a strength issue.

blueballs
June 6th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I burned the same in MI as I would in LA. Doubt that counts for anything. I used to live in Michigan and that was the hottest it had ever been. I really don't think the weather is going to be the issue.

Don't confuse sunburn with heat exhaustion...

... and all you guys who think Boone, NC is as oppressive in late summer as lower Louisiana, keep on thinking that.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I used to think South Georgia was bad until I moved to Central Florida, and I thought Central FL was bad until I started playing for a team out of Ft Lauderdale.

Western North Carolina is where a lot of Florida folks buy second homes to get away from the heat and humidity.xwhistlex

AlphaSigMD
June 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Yes, Griz, I was making an attempt at humor. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Next time, in order to prevent confusion, instead of using a xthumbsupx and depending on the reader to make an intuitive leap at humor I will instead use a more direct approach.

its 3333 feet closer to the Sub (and God) than Baton Rouge (THIS IS A JOKE)

Thanks for the assist, BDM.

ASUMountaineer
June 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Don't confuse sunburn with heat exhaustion...

... and all you guys who think Boone, NC is as oppressive in late summer as lower Louisiana, keep on thinking that.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I used to think South Georgia was bad until I moved to Central Florida, and I thought Central FL was bad until I started playing for a team out of Ft Lauderdale.

Western North Carolina is where a lot of Florida folks buy second homes to get away from the heat and humidity.xwhistlex

I don't think most guys think it is as oppresive in Boone as is in Baton Rouge, I think the argument was, it gets hot there too and thus they should be able to manage--90º+ in Boone is different than 90º+ heat in Baton Rouge, but it's still pretty darn hot. Are they athletes or fata$$es like me? I couldn't take it, but I'm sure #14 will still be able to manage.

I don't think it will be an issue because our guys are conditioned well. You're right, where you live is hot, in fact my times there I am pretty sure you live in hell :). You win the argument of whose part of the country is hotter. I for one wish I could have stayed in Michigan where it's much more comfortable, I don't like hot weather. At any rate, like I said, we should be fine...after all Appalachian is HOT, HOT, HOT.

AppAlum2003
June 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
"My weather is _______ than your weather!!!!!"

3rd Coast Tiger
June 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I live in Houston and it's just as humid here as it is in Red Stick.
I also used to travel an extreme amount of times to Pheonix during the summer. I'd leave 97 degree weather with 90% humidity and travel to 117 degree weather with 15 - 20% humidity. Getting on/off that plane in a suit would in those conditions were murder but I tell you what! I'd give anything to be in that 117 degree weather anyday with that less humidity.

Translation:

Don't think for one moment 85-90 degree weather in Boone, NC is anywhere close to the same in Baton Rouge, LA. The humidity makes it hard to breathe, the air is thicker.

Do you all remember back in the Akeem Olajuwon days with the Rockets? Akeem was in the greatest shape you could find for a center. However, when traveling to the high altitude of Denver, CO he suffered tremendously because of it and the Nuggets used it to their advantage.

putter
June 6th, 2008, 10:26 AM
In Montana it routinely get in the 80's and 90's in the summer, however, when the Griz visited Sam Houston there were Montana players throwing up on the field. That humidity is killer and you can't prepare for it. I am not saying it will bother App but it really bothered the Griz.

ASUMountaineer
June 6th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I live in Houston and it's just as humid here as it is in Red Stick.
I also used to travel an extreme amount of times to Pheonix during the summer. I'd leave 97 degree weather with 90% humidity and travel to 117 degree weather with 15 - 20% humidity. Getting on/off that plane in a suit would in those conditions were murder but I tell you what! I'd give anything to be in that 117 degree weather anyday with that less humidity.

Translation:

Don't think for one moment 85-90 degree weather in Boone, NC is anywhere close to the same in Baton Rouge, LA. The humidity makes it hard to breathe, the air is thicker.

Do you all remember back in the Akeem Olajuwon days with the Rockets? Akeem was in the greatest shape you could find for a center. However, when traveling to the high altitude of Denver, CO he suffered tremendously because of it and the Nuggets used it to their advantage.

We get it. You win, it's hotter there. You win. Are you saying App has lost already due to the weather?

813Jag
June 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM
We get it. You win, it's hotter there. You win. Are you saying App has lost already due to the weather?
That's the problem, nobody has written off App in this game, it seems like that's what some people want to think. The main arguement was that conditions are not the same in Boone as they are in Baton Rouge, even if the temps are the same. If you look at the beginning of this thread the orignal topic was immediately shot down because nobody wants to play at 4 P.M.

For a team that is a 3-peat (and possible 4-peat) champs, some of you guys are really thin skinned. xreadx

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM

xeyebrowx

This is a delusion. For LSU, 7 p.m. kickoffs are a sacred cow and one thing and one thing only moves 7 p.m. kickoffs to the afternoon — TV.

Besides, nighttime in a Louisiana August night isn't much cooler than the daytime. It's just darker. It's stiflingly humid, dead still and the air feels as heavy as a soaking wet cotton sweater... I've seen many a south Louisiana summer day that are actually a bit more comfortable during the day than the evening because daylight brings a breeze. It gets very still at night.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Hell no!!! I wish you'd beat the crawfish out of them!!!! :D

I'm pulling like hell for the Mountaineers in this game dude!!! xthumbsupx

All I'm saying is there's no comparision when it comes to the humidity.

BEST OF LUCK APP STATE!!!

ASUMountaineer
June 6th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Hell no!!! I wish you'd beat the crawfish out of them!!!! :D

I'm pulling like hell for the Mountaineers in this game dude!!! xthumbsupx

All I'm saying is there's no comparision when it comes to the humidity.

BEST OF LUCK APP STATE!!!

Yeah, I don't know who's making the comparison, I certainly wasn't. Even Michigan commented on how well conditioned our players are, I think we'll be ok. If they let something like heat beat them, we wouldn't have won anyways. Thankfully I'm not on the football team or App would have already lost :) xpeacex

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 11:00 AM

If Michigan's the hottest you've ever been, you aren't ready for Louisiana.

My sister lives in Phoenix now and she says the best thing about being in Arizona is a break you get from the heat compared to Louisiana.

Seriously, Houston is the country's hottest large city and it's two hours from us. New Orleans is in the top 10 and it's three hours from us.

There's heat. There's Arizona heat. There's Florida heat. Then there is Louisiana heat and now you are at a whole other level.

Could it be a factor? Aboso-fricking-lutely it could. I've seen teams come down here and just melt away before our eyes. At the same time, I've seen teams come here and do fine. The day McNeese won at Southern in 2004 (I think it was) Oregon (or was it Oregon State?) came to LSU and gave the Tigers everything they wanted on a day where it was HOTTTTT!!!! and HUMIDDD!!!! In fact the start of their game was delayed by a thermal thundershower.

So I've seen teams do fine in these conditions. But I've seen a lot of teams like Toledo in 1988 at McNeese and several others who were through by halftime.

So will it be a factor? Yes, but August camp is the time to deal with it, not the week who come rolling into BR.

813Jag
June 6th, 2008, 11:04 AM

My sister lives in Phoenix now and she says the best thing about being in Arizona is a break you get from the heat compared to Louisiana.

Seriously, Houston is the country's hottest large city and it's two hours from us. New Orleans is in the top 10 and it's three hours from us.

There's heat. There's Arizona heat. There's Florida heat. Then there is Louisiana heat and now you are at a whole other level.

Could it be a factor? Aboso-fricking-lutely it could. I've seen teams come down here and just melt away before our eyes. At the same time, I've seen teams come here and do fine. The day McNeese won at Southern in 2004 (I think it was) Oregon (or was it Oregon State?) came to LSU and gave the Tigers everything they wanted on a day where it was HOTTTTT!!!! and HUMIDDD!!!! In fact the start of their game was delayed by a thermal thundershower.
So I've seen teams do fine in these conditions. But I've seen a lot of teams like Toledo in 1988 at McNeese and several others who were through by halftime.

So will it be a factor? Yes, but August camp is the time to deal with it, not the week who come rolling into BR.
I remember that day that was my last year living in BR. It was horrible weather wise, but it had nothing to do with that whipping we got. xlolx

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM
[2] HEAT!!!

You're way off on Guilbeau. 1. He's from Sunset, but he does not work for the Advertiser. Guilbeau lives in Baton Rouge and covers LSU for all of the state's Gannett papers (Lafayette, Alexandria, Opelousas, Monroe, Shreveport...may be missing one), continuing his long career of covering LSU and the SEC. Prior to that, he covered LSU for, I believe, Shreveport and maybe spent some time at the Advocate in BR (I'm forgetting, off hand). He also spent time covering the Crimson Tide for Mobile.

So Glenn is no ULL homer, not by a long shot.

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Sorry to get off the subject, but you bring up something interesting that i brought up last year..

They're not even using their name in the correct form.. If they are going to call themselves Louisiana, then it should be Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, not Louisiana's? It's not Michigan's wolverines, Texas's Longhorns, Alabama's crimson tide.. It's not a plural usage. It doesn't make any sense and they are in fact not LOUISIANA'S ragin cajun's, only lafayette's for that matter... The fact they use it in a plural sense is totally stupid.

It's not a plural sense, it's a possessive sense. But it is stupid and what it is is squirreling around the idea that they are calling themself "Louisiana." If somebody from the legislature called and said "Quit calling yourself Louisiana, you are UL-Lafayette," they'd answer back "We aren't calling ourself Louisiana. We are calling ourselves "Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns."
So, technically, there is no reference to the name of the school when they call themselves that.

ASUMountaineer
June 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM

First off, two things. 1) You're right, I'm not ready for Louisiana, I'm not going to the game and I hate hot weather. 2) You completely misread what I typed. I said "I used to live in Michigan and that's the hottest it's ever been." I've been in temps much warmer than that, AND HATED IT.

Second, like I asked before. Are the App players athletes, or fata$$es like me? They are athletes and should be conditioned well enough to cope. I doubt JM will wait until the week before to prep.

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I remember that day that was my last year living in BR. It was horrible weather wise, but it had nothing to do with that whipping we got. xlolx

I remember looking out of the side of the press box at those dark clouds that were hovering over LSU's side of town. They never made it to Scotlandville and the McNeese-SU game went off without a hitch. I don't remember it raining more than a maybe a brief shower in the Bluff.

But it got nasty at LSU, cloud to ground lightning and such.

We wound up at Hooters after the game and who shows up in a White Tuxedo post-game? Jamarcus Russell and crew. Kid had a posse and he was holding court. There was another LSU player there, sitting right by us, a guys who's in the NFL now having a quiet dinner with a female. And he kind of rolled his eyes and said "kid's got some growing up to do..."

I'd say he eventually grew up, eh? xsmiley_wix

813Jag
June 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I remember looking out of the side of the press box at those dark clouds that were hovering over LSU's side of town. They never made it to Scotlandville and the McNeese-SU game went off without a hitch. I don't remember it raining more than a maybe a brief shower in the Bluff.

But it got nasty at LSU, cloud to ground lightning and such.

We wound up at Hooters after the game and who shows up in a White Tuxedo post-game? Jamarcus Russell and crew. Kid had a posse and he was holding court. There was another LSU player there, sitting right by us, a guys who's in the NFL now having a quiet dinner with a female. And he kind of rolled his eyes and said "kid's got some growing up to do..."

I'd say he eventually grew up, eh? xsmiley_wix
It didn't rain but it surely was hot enough. White Tux? I'm sure that was a sight. xlolx

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM
First off, two things. 1) You're right, I'm not ready for Louisiana, I'm not going to the game and I hate hot weather. 2) You completely misread what I typed. I said "I used to live in Michigan and that's the hottest it's ever been." I've been in temps much warmer than that, AND HATED IT.

Second, my God, like I asked before. Are the App players athletes, or fata$$es like me? They are athletes and should be conditioned well enough to cope. Wow, according to you guys (with your desire to be the hottest place on Earth) Appalachian should just take the payout and stay home. Again, we get it, it's HOT down there in Cajun country better stay out dem parishes.

My bad. I did misread what you said.

But the point is, heat acclimation has little to do with being in condition. They are separate, but related, issues. One could be in great shape training in low humidity, then struggle in high humidity because he is not acclimated. But a "fat-ass" who lives in high humidity will struggle no more on a humid day than any other day because he is acclimated.

I can relate to that. I've been getting outside on my bike a lot and taking brisk walks this summer as opposed to doing all my workouts (and I'm a workout fanatic) in a climate-controlled gym. The other day, when I pushed my mower around on a hot, humid evening, I noticed it wasn't as hard as normal. I had acclimated to the conditions by being out in them more often. Even though my gym workouts tend to be more strenuous — I'll run 30-40 minutes and 3.5-4.5 miles on a treadmill, but I don't run on concrete (the tendency for achilles tendinitis is the main reason) — I was in better shape for being in the humidity by doing less strenuous workouts in the humid conditions than I was doing more strenuous workouts in a controlled environment.

As another poster said, Hakeem Olajuwon (sp?) struggled with elevation because he could never train in it. It's an acclimation thing.

The point is, the weather factor being dismissed out of hand is not a good idea. It will be a factor and it should be respected. However, Oregon (or was it Oregon State) showed it can be managed. I thought Portland State wore down at McNeese last year. Were they out of shape or not used to the heat and humidity? Hard question to answer.

It's all about how Appalachian State manages the heat. Still, it's going to be hard to tell the effects. If LSU pulls away late as the Mountaineers tire, will it be because ASU wore down because of the heat or because of LSU's superior depth?

ASUMountaineer
June 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
My bad. I did misread what you said.

But the point is, heat acclimation has little to do with being in condition. They are separate, but related, issues. One could be in great shape training in low humidity, then struggle in high humidity because he is not acclimated. But a "fat-ass" who lives in high humidity will struggle no more on a humid day than any other day because he is acclimated.

I can relate to that. I've been getting outside on my bike a lot and taking brisk walks this summer as opposed to doing all my workouts (and I'm a workout fanatic) in a climate-controlled gym. The other day, when I pushed my mower around on a hot, humid evening, I noticed it wasn't as hard as normal. I had acclimated to the conditions by being out in them more often. Even though my gym workouts tend to be more strenuous — I'll run 30-40 minutes and 3.5-4.5 miles on a treadmill, but I don't run on concrete (the tendency for achilles tendinitis is the main reason) — I was in better shape for being in the humidity by doing less strenuous workouts in the humid conditions than I was doing more strenuous workouts in a controlled environment.

As another poster said, Hakeem Olajuwon (sp?) struggled with elevation because he could never train in it. It's an acclimation thing.

The point is, the weather factor being dismissed out of hand is not a good idea. It will be a factor and it should be respected. However, Oregon (or was it Oregon State) showed it can be managed. I thought Portland State wore down at McNeese last year. Were they out of shape or not used to the heat and humidity? Hard question to answer.

It's all about how Appalachian State manages the heat. Still, it's going to be hard to tell the effects. If LSU pulls away late as the Mountaineers tire, will it be because ASU wore down because of the heat or because of LSU's superior depth?

Again, I'm not disputing the fact that it's hotter there. I also did not dismiss the fact it would be harder for Appalachian players than LSU players, that's a given. What I did dismiss is the out-right given Appalachian will not be able to cope. They are conditioned well and if they are trained for this, they will cope fine (and as athletes they can train quicker for it than a fatass like myself). Again, I understand humidity plays a lot into the heat and App will be at a disadvantage, unless they train for it. But, to hear you guys talk, it is so hot there, Satan is a permanent resident and Appalachian will most likely lose--not because of skill or ability, but the weather. I think the weather (as opposed to skill or ability) is easier to overcome. xpeacex I'll go back to the poli board :)

ericsaid
June 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM
It's not like its not humid in boone, with 50% to 90%sure it wont be above 90 very often, but its not dry in Boone. They also train in thinner air so playing at a lower elevation will help if anything.

soweagle
June 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Compare two players, one for ASU and one for LSU playing in this game. To say the ASU player will tire before the LSU player b/c of the heat is absurd. The difference will be the LSU player will not have to play as many minutes. I don't care where you grew up in the south, if you add the equipment and constant energy exertion of playing football, you will tire out, no matter if you spent the summer in Boone or Baton Rouge.

And to whoever said that they worked in the heat of Louisianna for 9 hours a day and did not think the heat was a big deal is full of it!!!!

DLS
June 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
i get the feeling we are running out of things to talk about.

WVAPPmountaineer
June 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I have never been to the state of LA in the summer and I'm sure it can be miserable, however APP has played early season games in Charleston wearing all black and I would be surprised if a miserable day in Baton Rouge is much worse than a miserable day in Charleston ---

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Again, I'm not disputing the fact that it's hotter there. I also did not dismiss the fact it would be harder for Appalachian players than LSU players, that's a given. What I did dismiss is the out-right given Appalachian will not be able to cope. They are conditioned well and if they are trained for this, they will cope fine (and as athletes they can train quicker for it than a fatass like myself). Again, I understand humidity plays a lot into the heat and App will be at a disadvantage, unless they train for it. But, to hear you guys talk, it is so hot there, Satan is a permanent resident and Appalachian will most likely lose--not because of skill or ability, but the weather. I think the weather (as opposed to skill or ability) is easier to overcome. xpeacex I'll go back to the poli board :)

I think Satan pulled some shady business deals so he could move out of Louisiana to a cooler climate. He may be evil, but he ain't stupid...:D

Again, the point is is that it is going to be a factor that Appalachian State has to manage. And by manage, I don't mean prepare for over the course of a couple of weeks and expect to be on a level field with the home team.

They have to prepare for coping with it and they probably have to adjust from some of what they normally do — for example, they'll likely have to play the second team more snaps while the first team sits in front of mist fans, trying to keep their body temperatures down. A key will be getting off to a fast start. Oregon State jumped to a 9-0 halftime lead on LSU in 2004. Having an early lead allowed them to sub more and keep players fresher. Had LSU jumped out to a 9-0 lead, OSU would likely have been more hesitant to sub in an effort to keep LSU from pulling away early. And as a result, starters would have played too many snaps in conditions they were not acclimated to and would have had nothing left in the 4th quarter.

I think that happened to PSU last year, along with a couple of key injuries during the game. They got behind and really started to try to up the tempo of the game in an effort to get back in the game. In the fourth quarter, they were completely dead legged and McNeese was relatively fresh.

thmst30
June 6th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Compare two players, one for ASU and one for LSU playing in this game. To say the ASU player will tire before the LSU player b/c of the heat is absurd. The difference will be the LSU player will not have to play as many minutes. I don't care where you grew up in the south, if you add the equipment and constant energy exertion of playing football, you will tire out, no matter if you spent the summer in Boone or Baton Rouge.

And to whoever said that they worked in the heat of Louisianna for 9 hours a day and did not think the heat was a big deal is full of it!!!!
That was me, and again southern heat is overrated. People complain way to much about the heat, its never going to change, its not as bad as everyone says. Get over it deep south.

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
That was me, and again southern heat is overrated. People complain way to much about the heat, its never going to change, its not as bad as everyone says. Get over it deep south.

I think we are "over it." Part of dealing it, however, is respecting it.

A smart southerner knows that if you've been in AC for a while, don't jump right back out and rule 5 miles in the heat of the day (believe me, I've seen some runners do this and pay for it). If you vacation in Europe, come back and walk a few days in the heat, get your body to start sweating earlier, then resume your full training regimen.

AppStFan76
June 6th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I'm in Charlotte, and it is roughly 100 deg. today, it was about 100 deg. yesterday. i do HVAC work. I've been in this heat all day...still not done! The heat IS over rated!

Now getting in attics the last few days thats another story xsmiley_wix xnodx

McTailGator
June 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM

xeyebrowx

Ha

Hardly.

LSU fans HATE day games in Tiger Stadium.

They did it because ESPN offered them a pretty big check to do it.

98% of LSU fans would tell the TV network to shove it. If they want to show the game. Don't be late because we kick or at 6:PM cst.

Besides, App State is a Southern team. The heat AND HUMIDITY will not bother them like it would if a team from above the Masion Dixon line or the North West or even the West coast would.

I really don't think LSU will need to depend on mother nature.

LSU is the real deal.

Michigan was WAY over rated. THERE WILL BE A PRETTY BIG DIFFERENCE IN THIS GAME FOR ASU.

McTailGator
June 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM

SAID a SOUTHERN BOY...

Have you ever been north of the Masion dixon line?

It is not that much different between Boone and Baton Rouge.

But to tell someone from the Northwest, Midwest, New England, or even the West Coast and Rocky Mountain States that the Louisiana or Gulf Coast Heat is overated and is not a big deal is just plain ignorant.

I have worked in almost every state in the US, as well as many countries in the Western Hemisphere. LET ME TELL YOU...

There is a difference.

I would rather work in the Arizona heat on a 110 degree day in full sun, than work in Baton Rouge on an 89 degree night. ANY DAY!

Growing up on the Gulf Coast, I NEVER slept a single night of my life with an open window unless I lost power after a Hurricane.

Even when it's 50 degrees outside in December, you can't open a window because of the humidy causing you to stick to the sheets.

When I moved up to Chicago, I slept with an open window 90% of the time.

In fact, I only ran my AC at night for a tital of 21 (not consecutive) nights the summer of 2006.

BUT Like I said in another post...

LSU doesn't have to move their game time for ASU, In fact, it would be lot worse on ASU after the sun goes down in that crazy ass stadium.

ASU is catching a BIG time break here by escaping the after sundown MAGIC of Tiger stadium. THERE IS NOTHING QUITE LIKE IT.

JohnStOnge
June 6th, 2008, 08:10 PM
All other things aside, those who think there isn't a big difference between the climates of Boone and Baton Rouge are mistaken. The average high temperature during August in Boone is 74 degrees F and the average low for that month is 57 (see http://www.weatherreports.com/United_States/NC/Boone/averages.html ).The average high August temperature in Baton Rouge is 90 and the average low is 80 (http://www.weatherreports.com/United_States/LA/Baton_Rouge/averages.html ).

That site doesn't have the humidities. But I'd feel pretty comfortable betting they're substantially higher on average in Baton Rouge than they are in Boone.

Skjellyfetti
June 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM
All other things aside, those who think there isn't a big difference between the climates of Boone and Baton Rouge are mistaken. The average high temperature during August in Boone is 74 degrees F and the average low for that month is 57 (see http://www.weatherreports.com/United_States/NC/Boone/averages.html ).The average high August temperature in Baton Rouge is 90 and the average low is 80 (http://www.weatherreports.com/United_States/LA/Baton_Rouge/averages.html ).

That site doesn't have the humidities. But I'd feel pretty comfortable betting they're substantially higher on average in Baton Rouge than they are in Boone.

I agree. I grew up in south Alabama and now go to school in Boone. Summers here are incredibly comfortable in comparison. I love it. xthumbsupx

ericsaid
June 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM
SAID a SOUTHERN BOY...

But to tell someone from the Northwest, Midwest, New England, or even the West Coast and Rocky Mountain States that the Louisiana or Gulf Coast Heat is overated and is not a big deal is just plain ignorant.

I have worked in almost every state in the US, as well as many countries in the Western Hemisphere. LET ME TELL YOU...

There is a difference.

I would rather work in the Arizona heat on a 110 degree day in full sun, than work in Baton Rouge on an 89 degree night. ANY DAY!

Growing up on the Gulf Coast, I NEVER slept a single night of my life with an open window unless I lost power after a Hurricane.

Even when it's 50 degrees outside in December, you can't open a window because of the humidy causing you to stick to the sheets.

In fact, I only ran my AC at night for a tital of 21 (not consecutive) nights the summer of 2006.

LSU doesn't have to move their game time for ASU, In fact, it would be lot worse on ASU after the sun goes down in that crazy ass stadium.

ASU is catching a BIG time break here by escaping the after sundown MAGIC of Tiger stadium. THERE IS NOTHING QUITE LIKE IT.

Funny thing is some of the players on the team do know what it's like, had the score 14-0 heading into the 4th then dropped a touchdown and had a field goal go off an upright, and lost 24-0, so honestly that would be too much of a difference.xrotatehx

ericsaid
June 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I think Satan pulled some shady business deals so he could move out of Louisiana to a cooler climate. He may be evil, but he ain't stupid...:D

Again, the point is is that it is going to be a factor that Appalachian State has to manage. And by manage, I don't mean prepare for over the course of a couple of weeks and expect to be on a level field with the home team.

They have to prepare for coping with it and they probably have to adjust from some of what they normally do — for example, they'll likely have to play the second team more snaps while the first team sits in front of mist fans, trying to keep their body temperatures down. A key will be getting off to a fast start. Oregon State jumped to a 9-0 halftime lead on LSU in 2004. Having an early lead allowed them to sub more and keep players fresher. Had LSU jumped out to a 9-0 lead, OSU would likely have been more hesitant to sub in an effort to keep LSU from pulling away early. And as a result, starters would have played too many snaps in conditions they were not acclimated to and would have had nothing left in the 4th quarter.

I think that happened to PSU last year, along with a couple of key injuries during the game. They got behind and really started to try to up the tempo of the game in an effort to get back in the game. In the fourth quarter, they were completely dead legged and McNeese was relatively fresh.

Don't forget, App has nothing to lose besides armanti(heaven forbid), but if they are down too much at halftime(which they won't be), armanti will be pulled.

LSU has everything to Lose.everthing in the college football world.

I imagine if App holds it to one score or less then they will get votes again in the polls.

They finished this past season ranked 32 i believe.

GAD
June 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
The only reason LSU will change to a day game is TV they absolutely hate playing before 7

McTailGator
June 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Too bad they are playing in AUGUST.

Right after they spend most of the month of August in camp.

Stang Fever
June 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM
SAID a SOUTHERN BOY...

There is a difference.

I agree 150% percent, I am a california boy and I went to New Orleans last year in August and couldnt take it. I was wanting to leave from the very moment I touched down. It is heat that you have never felt before. There is no getting away from it, the shad is no help its just hot and humid all around. I dont know how anyone leaves down there in the summer its the worst. I cant believe I am going in July. I must be crazy

McNeese_beat
June 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I agree 150% percent, I am a california boy and I went to New Orleans last year in August and couldnt take it. I was wanting to leave from the very moment I touched down. It is heat that you have never felt before. There is no getting away from it, the shad is no help its just hot and humid all around. I dont know how anyone leaves down there in the summer its the worst. I cant believe I am going in July. I must be crazy

I don't know how anyone lives down here and I live down here.

The thing with me is I wasn't born and raised down here, so I think I can offer a compare and contrast.

One thing that sticks out in my mind was going to Omaha for the CWS in 2001 and there was a heat wave pushing temperatures close to triple digits. But seriously — and I'm not exaggerating one bit — I was walking around feeling like I was catching a break from the Louisiana heat.

Lionsrking
June 7th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Funny thing is some of the players on the team do know what it's like, had the score 14-0 heading into the 4th then dropped a touchdown and had a field goal go off an upright, and lost 24-0, so honestly that would be too much of a difference.xrotatehx

Heat and humidity aside, the big difference between this game and the '05 game is the playing date. App State will be getting LSU during their season opener instead of early November. I doubt they sleepwalk through this one the way they did the last time and I'm the sure the Mountaineers will have LSU's full attention.

SeattleGriz
June 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Joined this thread very late, but I need to toss in my two cents.

I don't think LSU changed the time to mess with ASU, because they don't need to. What I will say is that ASU has unfortunately set the bar so high, nobody will ever take them lightly.

In fact, I expect LSU to put a beatdown on ASU just because of the close game with them years ago, and the Michigan victory.

Good luck to ASU, make the FCS proud, but most importantly, come home injury free.

GO APP!!!

ericsaid
June 7th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Heat and humidity aside, the big difference between this game and the '05 game is the playing date. App State will be getting LSU during their season opener instead of early November. I doubt they sleepwalk through this one the way they did the last time and I'm the sure the Mountaineers will have LSU's full attention.

I agree partly. I believe App has LSU's attention, but in no way do they have their full attention. App in my opinion is their toughest OOC game they have. LSU will be trying to figure out a quarterback in this game and also the new secondary.

App has to replace two players in the secondary and 3 offensive linemen. Even with the loss of Hans and Dexter at WR there won't be too much of a drop off, also at the RB position with Devon Moore and Welton checking in.

The linebackers and defensive line for app should be absolutely stout with two DT sports network AA, and 1 AA linebacker and two AA honorable mentions.

The offensive linemen that need to step up have had playing time but, it will be a shock to go up against LSU's d-line I believe. With Armanti Edwards I think Jerry Moore will probably try to establish something they didn't do too much last year(throw the ball more, since Armanti can throw the ball.), but if I were a coach I would get my runningbacks more handoffs.

I don't think App will be overwhelmed, and they will be very well prepared no matter what the temperature is. The real question is, is how is LSU's new QB going to step up?

813Jag
June 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I agree partly. I believe App has LSU's attention, but in no way do they have their full attention. App in my opinion is their toughest OOC game they have. LSU will be trying to figure out a quarterback in this game and also the new secondary.

App has to replace two players in the secondary and 3 offensive linemen. Even with the loss of Hans and Dexter at WR there won't be too much of a drop off, also at the RB position with Devon Moore and Welton checking in.

The linebackers and defensive line for app should be absolutely stout with two DT sports network AA, and 1 AA linebacker and two AA honorable mentions.

The offensive linemen that need to step up have had playing time but, it will be a shock to go up against LSU's d-line I believe. With Armanti Edwards I think Jerry Moore will probably try to establish something they didn't do too much last year(throw the ball more, since Armanti can throw the ball.), but if I were a coach I would get my runningbacks more handoffs.

I don't think App will be overwhelmed, and they will be very well prepared no matter what the temperature is. The real question is, is how is LSU's new QB going to step up?
You're acting as if this is LSU's first time breaking in a new QB. They are going to run the ball early to get the QB settled in. This isn't some Texas Tech throw the ball 90 times type of offense. Both teams are going to feel each other out.

Unless you think they're looking past you guys to get ready for Troy and North Texas. xlolx Unlike their past schedules they don't play a tough SEC game until week 4, so they will be focused 100% just like you guys will. If LSU loses this game it won't be because they weren't prepared it'll be because they were out played.

SideLine Shooter
June 7th, 2008, 07:11 AM
You're acting as if this is LSU's first time breaking in a new QB. They are going to run the ball early to get the QB settled in. This isn't some Texas Tech throw the ball 90 times type of offense. Both teams are going to feel each other out.

Unless you think they're looking past you guys to get ready for Troy and North Texas. xlolx Unlike their past schedules they don't play a tough SEC game until week 4, so they will be focused 100% just like you guys will. If LSU loses this game it won't be because they weren't prepared it'll be because they were out played.

You are exactly right.

I feel both teams will take the field and be well prepared. As in any first game of the year both teams will be trying different things to see what works and how the opposition reacts and handles certain situations.

Just as espn has interest in this game with it being an ideal BCS - N/C and FCS - N/C squaring off to begin the season and get discussions like this rolling.

Both teams have questions to be answered. Let's enjoy this for what it is. COLLEGE FOOTBALL - The greatest team sport on earth!!

JohnStOnge
June 7th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Too bad they are playing in AUGUST.

Right after they spend most of the month of August in camp.

That's the thing. I'm one who does believe that having spent the previous weeks practicing during the daytime in the South Louisiana August conditions vs. having spent the previous weeks practicing in August Boone conditions is likely to be an advantage.

At least by the average temperature numbers, conditions in Boone during August are comparable to what it's like in Baton Rouge during late October and early November.

I don't think I'm ready to try to do a bunch of reasearch to try to "prove" that a team that's acclimated to steamy conditions has an advantage over one that doesn't when games are played in those conditions, but I do believe it. I also believe it about very cold conditions and high altitude conditions. I think that, whatever may or may not go on physiologically, it's an advantage to have the "feel" be part of the normal background for a player rather than something he's noticing as unusual and uncomfortable.

AppStFan76
June 7th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Here's a funny scenario....

App is down by 14 at the half. Starting the 3rd quarter AE is pulled, enter Pressly. LSU now thinks they can coast to a victory, because AE is on the bench and.... Pressly actualy lives up to the hype, and brings home a "W" from BR!!

Just dreamin, but wouldnt that be sweat!

JohnStOnge
June 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I don't know how anyone lives down here and I live down here.

Air conditioning. Seriously, though, I was born and raised in Lake Charles and I think you get used to it. In fact, I like the feel of the high humidity during the early morning and evening hours. I went to San Diego one time during summer and it didn't feel right to me. I didn't like air being that cool and crisp during July (I think it was July). I felt chilled. Same thing happened to me when I went to Tacoma during the summer. Couldn't wait to get back to where it felt like it "should" during summertime.

And, really, once you just decide you're going to sweat profusely and let yourself go ahead and get soaked it's not that bad as long as you stay in the shade and drink a lot of water. My grandfather was a farmer and that's how he dealt with it. Wore long sleeved shirts and long pants, sweated, got soaked, then the evaporation cooled him down. He also always had a big bottle of salt tablets.

The thing with me is I wasn't born and raised down here, so I think I can offer a compare and contrast.

One thing that sticks out in my mind was going to Omaha for the CWS in 2001 and there was a heat wave pushing temperatures close to triple digits. But seriously — and I'm not exaggerating one bit — I was walking around feeling like I was catching a break from the Louisiana heat.

There's a limit to that, though. One time I went to a conference that someone, in their wisdom, scheduled in July at Scottsdale, Arizona. It was like 115 to 120 during the day. The heat would suck my breath out. I'd be sitting around by the pool in the late evening and it felt like I was lying inside a hair dryer. Definitely more uncomfortable than 90 to 95 and high humidity conditions in Louisiana. To me anyway.

813Jag
June 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Here's a funny scenario....

App is down by 14 at the half. Starting the 3rd quarter AE is pulled, enter Pressly. LSU now thinks they can coast to a victory, because AE is on the bench and.... Pressly actualy lives up to the hype, and brings home a "W" from BR!!

Just dreamin, but wouldnt that be sweat!
If that happened I'd be very happy for my homeboy. xlolx

McNeese_beat
June 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM

In the last five-six years, LSU has won national championships with two QBs while a third has been the top overall pick in the NFL draft. Jarrett Lee, who I think will wind up being the starter, was a highly-touted prep QB coming out of HS.

I think LSU will be fine at QB.

McNeese75
June 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM

Lets see how you feel after the game. Be sure and go so you can enjoy the tepid temps in Tiger Stadium. It will be just like Boone I am sure xrotatehx

Lionsrking
June 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
The real question is, is how is LSU's new QB going to step up?

Considering all they have to do is handoff, execute safe, play-action passes, and take an occasional shot down field to any one of their stable of speedsters, I don't think the LSU QB position has to "step up" for them to win the game by a comfortable margin. They'll control the game with their defense and running game and the QB simply has to go along for the ride.

I'm not saying it'll be 58-0 like a lot of their non-conference, non-BCS wins, but I don't see it being a very close game for much more than a half at most.

McNeese_beat
June 9th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Air conditioning. Seriously, though, I was born and raised in Lake Charles and I think you get used to it. In fact, I like the feel of the high humidity during the early morning and evening hours. I went to San Diego one time during summer and it didn't feel right to me. I didn't like air being that cool and crisp during July (I think it was July). I felt chilled. Same thing happened to me when I went to Tacoma during the summer. Couldn't wait to get back to where it felt like it "should" during summertime.

And, really, once you just decide you're going to sweat profusely and let yourself go ahead and get soaked it's not that bad as long as you stay in the shade and drink a lot of water. My grandfather was a farmer and that's how he dealt with it. Wore long sleeved shirts and long pants, sweated, got soaked, then the evaporation cooled him down. He also always had a big bottle of salt tablets.

There's a limit to that, though. One time I went to a conference that someone, in their wisdom, scheduled in July at Scottsdale, Arizona. It was like 115 to 120 during the day. The heat would suck my breath out. I'd be sitting around by the pool in the late evening and it felt like I was lying inside a hair dryer. Definitely more uncomfortable than 90 to 95 and high humidity conditions in Louisiana. To me anyway.

I read somewhere that it's tougher to acclimate to the heat/humidity combo of the gulf coast than the pure heat of Arizona. When it's dry, the body senses the temperature of the body changing, so the sweat mechanism is activated and the vaporizing sweat cools the body. In humidity, the moisture in the air has some kind of negating affect on the body's natural sweat mechanism. A body that's not acclimated will not sweat as soon as the body is hot enough to require sweat. So the body heats up more and feels warmer.

AppGirl
June 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM

I haven't scene anyone mention how much of a sleepwalk that game was. Remember, because of Katrina, the team had to make that game a day-trip. Fly down, warm-up, play the game, fly home. There were unusual circumstances there, too.xthumbsupx

SoCon48
June 9th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Considering all they have to do is handoff, execute safe, play-action passes, and take an occasional shot down field to any one of their stable of speedsters, I don't think the LSU QB position has to "step up" for them to win the game by a comfortable margin. They'll control the game with their defense and running game and the QB simply has to go along for the ride.

I'm not saying it'll be 58-0 like a lot of their non-conference, non-BCS wins, but I don't see it being a very close game for much more than a half at most.

It was close last time all the way into the 4th quarter. I say LSU by 4 TD's. That would be a nice achievement by any FCS team. This ain't Navy the Apps are facing.

Appinator
June 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
This is insane. The reason behind the move, to quote Randy Moss, is "straight cash, homie". Les Miles does not lose sleep at night thinking "How will I contain DJ Smith on an outside blitz?" or "Is the only way I can keep Edwards from getting over 150 yards rushing by keeping eight guys in the box?". And he certainly did not want to anger the Tiger faithful by moving this game for us.

I bet they are able to move the game back a little later by the time July comes around, and their AD has had everyone and their brother has given him their 2 cents. I've read in a couple places that this time wasn't set in stone.

GeauxColonels
June 9th, 2008, 10:46 PM

It's not being used in a plural sense, but a possessive sense...which is all the more WORSE. They're NOT MY Ragin' Cajuns. The ONLY people who DON'T use the -Lafayette portion of the schools name are the ones that feel that ULL is on par with LSU, Alabama, Texas, Etc...