PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Preview Week 7

catbob
October 11th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Yet again I was off by one game last week. The Griz had a statement game last week at ISU, completely dominating both sides of the ball. My other predictions were pretty much on though.

My percentage so far is 81.25%, 13 for 16. I need to step it up a bit! Unfortunately this week of games is insanely hard to predict.

This week only features 3 matchups, all BSC games. NAU and ISU both have a much needed bye.

Sacramento State @ Weber State
- The Hornets got a much needed tune-up game last week by soundly beating NAIA Azusa Pacific, 41-19. The game was closer than I expected for just over a quarter, with AZU actually leading at the end of the first. Sac blew up for 27 in the second though, lead behind Sophmore standout Ryan Mole, who rushed for 202 yards on 24 carries and 2 TDs, becoming just the third player in Hornet history to have multiple 200 yard games (Charles Roberts had an astounding 13 multiple 200 yard games). While Sac was taking care of AZU, Weber was losing it's second consecutive heartbreaking loss to a Montana school. They lost by 5 at UM, then by a last second FG to MSU at home. They actually put up more yards and points than any team in IAA has done on the Griz, and they did it in WAGriz, no small task. They face a Sac team that is winless on the road (although so is Weber), and who gives up 144 yards per game on the ground and over 2 TDs a game on the ground. Weber may be without their starting RB, but they have more than capable backups and can go 4 deep and have no real dip in talent. They average 175 per game on the ground. But they can beat you through the air as well, averaging 228 YPG. I think the three headed monster of Pizzaro(QB)/Hall(RB)/Jackson(WR) will be too much for the suspect Hornet defense to contain. The Hornets have a lot of talent but can never seem to pull it together, and Weber is making great progress under first year head coach Ron McBride. Neither team is a contender yet, but Weber is a lot closer than CSUS. Sac has a two game winning streaking coming into Ogden, and Weber is riding a two game losing streak. I see both of those streaks coming to an end Saturday.
What to watch : Brady Fosmark will give anyone in the country fits, and will apply pressure all day on an immobile Chris Hurd.
- 17-27

#8 Montana State @ Portland State
- Face it Bobcat fans - MSU has played horrid on the road this season against their IAA competition. They were hammered by Cal Poly and needed a miraculous comeback to beat a middle-of-the-pack Weber team. The Cats have been shooting themselves in the feet all season, even in their victories (with the exception of NDSU). While it speaks volumes about this team that they can win even when playing poorly, it is going to come back and nip you in the butt sometime. Unfortunately, I believe that will happen this week. MSU's run defense is 92nd in the nation giving up 191 per game. And while PSU's run offense is only 36th, they do have the #2 rusher in all of Division I football (including IA) in Joe Rubin. PSU rides or dies with Rubin. Rubin rushed for 151 yards and a TD vs IA Boise State and kept his team ahead for over a half. PSU's front five get a good push and open plenty of holes for Rubin, and he is dangerous when he bounces outside. While PSU had a solid showing at BSU, the Cats were winning about as ugly as you can in Ogden. 3 turnovers, 2 dropped TD passes (one for a endzone INT), 120 yards in penalties, and down by 14 with 12 minutes to go in the game. You simply cannot play that way week in and week out and excpect to keep winning. The problems are the worst on the road, and back-to-back road games are always hard. During their only IAA loss to EWU, the Viks simply could not stop Meyer and Cole (who rushed for 5 TDs). The Cats have found no answer at RB, and are starting to become one-dimensional once again. Lulay can still beat you any Saturday, but asking him to do that twice in a row on the road with no run defense is too tall of an order for this week. I think the Cats won't play as sloppy as they did at PSU, but will have to play even better than that to win.
What to watch : If MSU can somehow contain Rubin and minimize the sloppy play (turnovers and penalties), the Cats have all the talent to win this game.
- 24-28

#9 Eastern Washington @ #3 Montana
- If this isn't the biggest game in IAA, then I'm the Queen of England. Defense vs Offense. The classic showdown. The unstoppable machine vs the immovable wall. EWU quite humbly beat a undererforming NAU squad into the ground. The country was focused on bigger games (such as UM @ ISU), but this game was as solid of a performance as you can get. EWU passed for 322 yards, ran for 261 more and didn't turn the ball over. Oh yea, they played solid defense, giving up just 185 total yards, holding Murietta 4/12 for 33 yards before he came out. The glaring stat though - 41:58 TOP for the Eags. Meanwhile the Griz were taken off of offensive life support with the first start of RSFreshman QB Cole Berquist, who was 16/26 for 178 yard and 2 TDs (for the Griz QBs this year, this isn't too shabby). Unfortunately there is a lot of question to whether or not Jason Washington will be healthy enough to play, and if so, will he get the start? Berquist may have been the talk of the town, but the day belonged to Hilliard and the Griz defense. They completely shut down the ISU run game, while having a dominating performance from their own. Enough recapping. EWU has only scored under 30 once this year (a 35-24 loss to IA SJSU), and they will get their points. With the emergance of Ryan Cole, EWU can now beat you any way they want on offense. They average a mere 505 yards of offense a game, no big deal. Montana is giving up less than 300 YPG on defense, however, and are +1.4 in the turnover ratio. The Griz are going to come back to WAGriz with tons of confidence after their blowout of a good ISU team, and the crowd will only help to inflate that confidence. EWU on the other hand is playing with quiet precision and soundly beating solid teams. EWU has the best chance of anyone in the Sky to upend UM at home, and I think normally they would be too much firepower for anyone to handle, let alone UM, but the Griz are too tough at home and no one seems to play to their potential at WAGriz.
What to watch : The 12th man will make or break this game. If EWU stays calm and plays their game, victory will befall the Eags.
- 27-31

Possible upset of the week: Most of the games this week are evenly matched, and I had an extremely hard time picking the MSU/PSU and UM/EWU games. So I guess the upset possibility would be Sac over Weber, if that could be called an upset.
Best matchup: EWU @ UM
Worst matchup: None

Please prove me wrong Cats! :bow: I hate picking against my boys! :bawling:

AZGrizFan
October 11th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I agree with all three picks. Although, I don't think EWU scores that many against the Griz. Then again, I'm not sure the Griz score than many points either, so the score may be something closer to the Griz/Weber game...lets hope it doesn't come down to a dropped TD pass in the end zone again? :eek: :eek:

Green Cookie Monster
October 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Hurd has a 39 yd. scamper along with 179 gross rushing yards. He is anything but immobile.

catbob
October 11th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Hurd has 70 yards in 6 games on 32 carries, and the fact that you said he got 39 in one chunk makes it even less impressive.

He might get a few yards here and there, but you aren't going to assign someone to spy on the QB with Hurt under center. Immobile might have been too harsh.

JALMOND
October 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Oh mighty Catbob, here are mine. Keep in mind I do not have the same crystal ball as you as I had four wrong picks in the first week. It does not keep me from pickin' (I'm a pickin' and you all are grinnin').

Sac/Weber---Is Sac that good? Can they beat Weber at home? Weber might be due for a letdown after getting up for big games against both the Cats and Griz. I'll take the upset---Sac 30, Weber 28.

MSU/PSU---Catbob, Pete Rose showed me you never go against your own team. Lulay's homecoming and he will want to do something special for his family in Oregon. In the midst of the great showing against Boise, a fact that is being overlooked is that the Vikings had numerous shots at beating the Broncos. Rubin ran well in the first half, but Boise shut him down in the second. I'm taking PSU only because they are my team, but I am cutting a TD off of each side of your score as our offense, even with Rubin, seems to be only good for 14 points. Our defense, I say, will score one time---PSU 21, MSU 17.

EWU/Montana---I must say I don't know if this game will lead up to the hype that it will generate. EWU had a great game in Flagstaff that followed an impressive showing against PSU at home. However, the Griz seem to have found their QB and beat a strong Bengal team last week in Pocatello. Griz always tough in their back yard---Griz 38, EWU 21.

I don't really know about Sac St. I think Weber will be looking at an "easy" game at home after two big games against the Montana schools. I say Sac scores early and holds on. I really will be surprised if EWU stays within two touchdowns of Montana, especially at Missoula, with that defense the Griz have. That all said, I think the game of the conference will be in Portland. You coming out for the game? I'm sure we'll have at least 10,000 seats for Lulay's friends and family.

catbob
October 11th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Oh mighty Catbob, here are mine.

Catbob demands a sacrifice!

:anim_chai <-PSU virgin

I was going to come to the game because there is a Kappa Sig there and it would be cool to hang with some brothers, but it is simply too long, I can't afford it, and I couldn't find anyone else willing to go.

Proud Griz Man
October 11th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Is that a night game in Portland saturday? Any Rain in the forecast?

Your picks surprised me catbob. Picking against MSU, and picking the Griz to win. I am surprised you haven't been banished from bozeman like the chronicle's A.Hinkleman.

catbob
October 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Banish him along with those dirty Micky D Griz cups!

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Even though my team does not play in the BSC i still have my eye on a few games.

Montana Vs. Eastern Washington....Poly plays both of these teams in a few weeks....I want Montana to win this game so that when Poly plays them it will be the game of the week...However I want to see them Loose at the same time...which will let Poly move up at least one spot in the polls during a bye week. I just believe that Erik Meyer is just unsackable...and will end up being to much for the Griz...look for Eastern to pull this one off....Montana will be starting a freshman qb for only the second time...and even though he pulled out the win against Idaho St....it will be up to him to prove that he can keep up with the Eagles offense..

Eastern Washington 30 Montana 17

Montana State Vs. Portland St.

Before the seaon I was talking to a buddy of mines up at Portland St...and told him that his team would be lucky to win 6 games this season...Yes Joe rubin is a force in the back field...But thats all there is...You can not bring a knife to a gun fight...and Montana St. will win big

Montana St. 24 Portland St. 14

Sac St. vs Weber ST

Dont Care....the pick simply stated Weber ST. over Sac ST.

catbob
October 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Even though my team does not play in the BSC i still have my eye on a few games.

Montana Vs. Eastern Washington....Poly plays both of these teams in a few weeks....I want Montana to win this game so that when Poly plays them it will be the game of the week...However I want to see them Loose at the same time...which will let Poly move up at least one spot in the polls during a bye week. I just believe that Erik Meyer is just unsackable...and will end up being to much for the Griz...look for Eastern to pull this one off....Montana will be starting a freshman qb for only the second time...and even though he pulled out the win against Idaho St....it will be up to him to prove that he can keep up with the Eagles offense..

Eastern Washington 30 Montana 17

Montana State Vs. Portland St.

Before the seaon I was talking to a buddy of mines up at Portland St...and told him that his team would be lucky to win 6 games this season...Yes Joe rubin is a force in the back field...But thats all there is...You can not bring a knife to a gun fight...and Montana St. will win big

Montana St. 24 Portland St. 14

Sac St. vs Weber ST

Dont Care....the pick simply stated Weber ST. over Sac ST.

I hope your predictions are right and mine are wrong. ;)

DuckDuckGriz
October 11th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Quick predictions

Sac State / Weber State -- WSU 27-13
Montana State / Portland State -- MSU 35-25
Eastern Washington / Montana -- UM 28-25

DaGriz
October 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Wow Catbob, a bobcat fan that look at games objectively. I'm impressed, props to you. I think Weber will roll Sac. They are better than people are giving them credit for. I think NAU is in trouble this year and next week ISU rolls them, I think that game is next week. I think the Cats game and Griz game is all about the tempo of the game. If PSU dominates the game clock and keeps Lulay off the field they will win a low scoring game. If it's high scoring the Cats will crush PSU. Bad thing for the Cats is PSU already proved they can slow down a high scoring O and scrambling QB in Zambranski and BSU. I think it's the same with our game. If it gets into a track meet I don't know if we can keep up with Meyer and Kimble. If we grind the ball and use Hilliard a lot and keep it somewhat low scoring I think we have this game. Both the Griz and MSU are going to have a lot to prove on D. Can the Cats finally stop anybody on the run and can the Griz stop anybody with an arm?

Tod
October 11th, 2005, 08:38 PM
I hope your predictions are right and mine are wrong. ;)

Have to admire your honesty, which only heightens your credibility. Go 'Cats! Beat those Vikes!

BelgradeBobcat
October 11th, 2005, 10:24 PM
The games are tough this week-each one could go either way.

Bobcats vs Vikings: My heart says MSU 27-PSU 14. My head says MSU 21-PSU 24. I don't have much comfort level with this game. I think it may hearken back to the Hysell days when we got blown out at Civic Stadium 44-0 with what we thought was a pretty decent Bobcat team.

Eagles vs griz: A hot EWU team went into Washington-griz stadium 2 years ago and laid an egg. I think the same happens this week. Montana defense rises to the occaision 24-10.

Hornets vs Wildcats: I could really go either way on this one. Weber could be down after 2 heartbreakers. Fosmark looked a little banged up at the end of the MSU game. But the Wildcats aren't bad, and they're at home so I'll pick them 32-30. By the way I'm a Brady Fosmark fan-what a great player and competitor.

Mustang Man
October 12th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I had a chance to watch the Suck St. game at Poly. Huard is not as immobile as you may thing. The kid has some wheels on him. The only problem for him was so does Gocong.

Quick Picks:

Suck State / Weber State -- WSU 31-17
No padding the stats for Mole this week. Suck St. comes crashing back to earth.
Montana State / Portland State -- MSU 31-25
Superman saves the day again! He is carrying alot of weight on those shoulders. Sure hope he doesn't get hurt on another one of his high flying dives for the endzone.
Eastern Washington / Montana -- UM 27-24
The Griz claw out another victory and start looking over their shoulders. The stampede is coming!

mlbowl
October 12th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Montana will be starting a freshman qb for only the second time...and even though he pulled out the win against Idaho St....it will be up to him to prove that he can keep up with the Eagles offense..

yeah....it was a squeaker :rolleyes:

My predictions:

Sac State / Weber State -- WSU
Montana State / Portland State -- PSU
Eastern Washington / Montana -- UM

elkmcc
October 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
EWU is the only team to beat UM 3 times at Wa/Griz. Meyer and Kimble are argueably the scariest duo in I-AA. EWU fans are almost non-existent over on egriz.com. For the first times in many years the Griz were not the BSC preseason favorite. This year that distinction went to EWU. EWU leads the BSC in passing yards and UM's pass D appears to mirror last years, that is, everyone seemed to be able to put 300+ on the Griz secondary.

The Griz are coming off an impressive road win against a talented ISU. The reshirt frosh qb Berquist has even bobcat fans believing in the Griz. Lex Hilliard and Jon Talmadge will undoubtedly both end up shattering carreer records for their respective positions at UM. This game will pad their stats.

2 weeks ago vs Weber St. Wa/Griz was at times louder than ever before. Many of the fans next to me in the North End Zone complained that the noise level hurt their ears. I hope these people bring ear plugs this Saturday because a record crowd is expected and record noise levels are almost a certainty. The greatest show in Montana will be the Greatest show ever in Montana. Be there or be square.

Montana controls the clock, the crowd, and the red zone.

Griz 35
Eagles 23

OrneryAggie
October 12th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Suc St has gotten their offense on a roll and has already won twice as many games as many of us expected from this season. Compare scores: csus 38 nau 24; wsu 31 nau 23. Suc st might look like the favorite. However Mr NFL Mooshagian is 0-15 on the road as the hornets HC. At least he's consistent.

PSU is a tough home team. MSU needed OT to beat PSU in Bozeman last year, but I think this game can be better summarized by these other 2 games from last season:
10/30/04 UM 32 @ PSU 35
11/6/04 MSU 28 @ CSUS 38
PSU rides Rubin's legs back into the top 25 (and if they had anything resembling a QB they'd be 5-1 and top 5)

EWU should lose this game because their athletic website has to be one of the worst I've ever seen for an NCAA team. The team can put up a ton of offensive yards. Meyer and Kimble get a lot of credit for EWU's success, and deservedly so. But if you look at their 2 losses you'll see how important the run is (90yds @ SJSU, 61 @ ISU compared to 261 @ NAU and 222 v PSU). UM has allowed one team to rush for over 100yds as Weber racked up nearly 500yds total offense. But the Grizzlies still held them to just 19pts. EWU could put top 400yds also but they will not score more than 4 times. UM will.