View Full Version : Position Rankings- WRs

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Do you have someone at your school who should be ranked among the nation's best? To get it started here are some names:

Ramses Barden, Cal Poly, Sr.
Terrell Hudgins, Elon, Jr.
Andre Roberts, The Citadel, Jr.
Aaron Boyce, EWU, Jr.
Eddie Thompson, Idaho State, Sr.
Johnny Gray, UNI, Sr.
Steven Whitehead, McNeese State, Sr.

MplsBison
June 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Kole Heckendorf NDSU Sr

Easily one of the best in the nation. He will be over looked guaranteed because we're so deep and we're a run first team.

Hoyadestroya85
June 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Phil Atkinson Villanova
8 TD's and over 400 yds receiving last season 2 td passes as well, also a threat on the slot option

slycat
June 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Cameron Luke - Texas State
669 yards 8 TDs

lead the Southland Conference last season

AppAlum2003
June 3rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Kole Heckendorf NDSU Sr

Easily one of the best in the nation. He will be over looked guaranteed because we're so deep and we're a run first team.

What kinda numbers did he have last year?

ucdtim17
June 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
I hate these threads where everybody nominates their team's players to be considered with the nation's best, but I'm confident our WR's really will be the best in the country. Chris Carter and Brandon Rice (and maybe Bakari Grant) are potential first-teamers

Bison05
June 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
What kinda numbers did he have last year?

Kole Heckendorf 6 TDs 766 Yrds 16 YPC

He was instrumental in a couple of last second TDs

Cal Poly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

SHSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTx__3AIusw&feature=related

GannonFan
June 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Delaware returns all 3 WR's from last year:

Aaron Love, Sr.
Kervin Michaud, Sr.
Mark Duncan, Jr.

eagle1
June 3rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Eastern Washington

Aaron Boyce and Brynsen Brown

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Eastern Washington

Aaron Boyce and Brynsen Brown

Tony Davis is another one you guys have. The word is that he isn't far behind those two.

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2008, 03:00 AM
From W&M

Elliott Mack - 46 catches for 849 yards and 5 TDs.
D.J. McAulay - 7 catches for 162 in the opener against Delaware before being lost for the season in the third quarter.

Mack below.

813Jag
June 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM
A couple of names from Southern: Del Roberts and Juamorris Stewart their numbers will increase as they become the go-to guys this year. Roberts is the speed guy and Stewart is the size. Our 4 reciever sets allow the QB to spread the ball around the field.

#1 Del Roberts:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/cdwells750/del.jpg

#88 Juamorris Stewart:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/cdwells750/SUJamorrisStewartbeingtackledbyJaso.jpg

OLDMAIN80
June 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I'd love to throw a Wofford WR name in the hat but I don't think we have any.xcoolx

Dawg2Rhody
June 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM
He doesn't warrant preseason ranking, but by the end of the year I'm predicting folks will know Ty Bynum URI (if the QB can get him the ball).

Lionsrking
June 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Do you have someone at your school who should be ranked among the nation's best? To get it started here are some names:

Ramses Barden, Cal Poly, Sr.
Terrell Hudgins, Elon, Jr.
Andre Roberts, The Citadel, Jr.
Aaron Boyce, EWU, Jr.
Eddie Thompson, Idaho State, Sr.
Johnny Gray, UNI, Sr.
Steven Whitehead, McNeese State, Sr.

If Merrick Lanaux (Southeastern Louisiana) can stay healthy for a full season I think he'll be a guy to consider by season's end. Broke his collarbone in '06 and had mono last year. But he's very talented and hard to cover when he's on the field and healthy.

AppAlum2003
June 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'd love to throw a Wofford WR name in the hat but I don't think we have any.xcoolx

I've heard of the Empty Set, but never the Empty Slot.

Thumper250
June 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM
G-W has a potential pro in Sr. Dobson Collins. Right at 6'2", 180 and can float. 50 catches last year.

phoenix3
June 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
He doesn't warrant preseason ranking, but by the end of the year I'm predicting folks will know Ty Bynum URI (if the QB can get him the ball).

I'll say the same for Bo Williamson of Elon. He was 6th in receiving yards and 7th in receptions per game in the SoCon last year behind Scott Riddell's two primary targets Hudgins and Mayers. Incidentally, he had a higher yards per catch avg., 15.4, than those two.

cowbellnation
June 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM
South Dakota State University

JaRon Harris

40 Catches
664 Yards
16.6 YPC
7 Touchdowns

Runs consistently in the Low 4.4 High 4.3 Range.

A threat everytime he catches the ball.

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
South Dakota State University

JaRon Harris

40 Catches
664 Yards
16.6 YPC
7 Touchdowns

Runs consistently in the Low 4.4 High 4.3 Range.

A threat everytime he catches the ball.

Did you know he is a distant cousin of Jerry Rice?

Eyes of Old Main
June 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM

At Wofford, what others call wide receivers, we call downfield blockers.

That being said, Andy Strickland could start just about anywhere in FCS and put up much bigger numbers in a pass-oriented system.

seantaylor
June 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Raja Andrews will have a big year.

UCABEARS75
June 5th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I doubt any of UCA's wide receivers receive any post-season awards since we tend to spread the ball around so much. However, as a group they are pretty solid as receivers, runners with the ball, and down-field blockers.

Our top six receivers from last year all return, each of whom caught 25 balls or more last season. Probably the most talented of that group is Marquez Branson who is mentioned in the Tight End thread.

LBPop
June 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Marcus Lee of Towson deserves a look. He had 66 catches in 2007 plus he was the Tigers' #1 punt returner. He's a big, graceful football player. And opposing cornerbacks do not like it when they are sweeping to his side.

OLDMAIN80
June 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
At Wofford, what others call wide receivers, we call downfield blockers.

That being said, Andy Strickland could start just about anywhere in FCS and put up much bigger numbers in a pass-oriented system.

Amen brother...xcoolx

skinny_uncle
June 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM
At SIU, our top three receivers all graduated, so next year will be uncharted territory.

ericsaid
June 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I saw Aaron Love from UD last season and he was easily the best reciever i saw all of last year and the year before, and the year before that.

Everything he does is just so fluent it's ridiculous.

GannonFan
June 5th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I saw Aaron Love from UD last season and he was easily the best reciever i saw all of last year and the year before, and the year before that.

Everything he does is just so fluent it's ridiculous.

And he played injured pretty much all last year - he had surgery after the championship game. Problem is, he's small and getting injured happens to small players. Great receiver, though.

IMO, though, the best WR out there is that kid from Richmond, Kevin Grayson. To think he was only a freshman last year is crazy. He gave Appy St fits in that semifinal game just like he gave people fits all year. Keep an eye on him.

colorless raider
June 6th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Check out Pat Simmonds of Colgate. 6'5, 230 and fast. He will have great stats this year!

ur2k
June 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
And he played injured pretty much all last year - he had surgery after the championship game. Problem is, he's small and getting injured happens to small players. Great receiver, though.

IMO, though, the best WR out there is that kid from Richmond, Kevin Grayson. To think he was only a freshman last year is crazy. He gave Appy St fits in that semifinal game just like he gave people fits all year. Keep an eye on him.

Agreed - thanks Gannon. 68 catches, 970 yards, 7 TDS and as a freshman.

We've got 2 freshmen to play this year, Donte Boston and Tre Grey that are supposed to contribute right away.

appfan2008
June 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I cant believe no one from app has been mentioned but everyone knows that appfan2008 will change that!
coco hillary, josh johnson, tj courman and others will make app state one of the deepest wr corps in the country

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I cant believe no one from app has been mentioned but everyone knows that appfan2008 will change that!
coco hillary, josh johnson, tj courman and others will make app state one of the deepest wr corps in the country

Possibly a deep group without a headliner like Barden or Hudgins?

appfan2008
June 8th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Possibly a deep group without a headliner like Barden or Hudgins?

exactly what i was thinking... very similar to last year... even though dexter jackson was the "headliner" he didnt even lead the team in yards or catches... actually we havent really had a headliner since 04 when davon fowlkes graduated...

it will be a recieving corp by committee yes... but it will be a good group

GeauxLions94
June 8th, 2008, 10:27 PM
669 yards 8 TDs

xthumbsupx on Luke. He always has a good game against us.

Another WR to add - If he's healthy, and that's been a big if the past two years as he missed games in 2006 with a broken collar bone and was battling mono in 2007.

Merrick Lanaux, 6-4, 195, Sr.
2005 - 19 catches, 343 yards, 18.1 avg., 3 TD, 62 LG
2006 - 28 catches, 315 yards, 11.2 avg., 3 TD, 44 LG
2007 - 19 catces, 289 yards, 15.2 avg., 3 TD, 63 LG

HPCAT
June 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
669 yards 8 TDs

These must be just SLC stats.

Luke had 1035 yards and 12 TDs on a 17.25 YPC average.

94 YPG average.

He most likely will be in the top 5 in the FCS this year and play in the NFL one day.

redflash2
June 8th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Antoine Rivera from Saint Francis University, athletic, great hands, one of FCS's best in my opinion