PDA

View Full Version : Official: SLC to Expand With Lamar in 2011

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2008, 05:15 PM
Lamar is in for a tough 2011. I believe this was a bit early for their inclusion and is a different path than any other recent school to start football as a new program. One thing to go from Division II to Division I, but this is going to put the pressure on Lamar to find a nice balance of transfers (JUCO and otherwise) plus freshmen if they want to have the experience and depth to contend with the rest of the conference.

Each team in the conference will have four home and four away games beginning in 2011 under this format. Currently, it's four home and three away and vice-versa on a rotating basis.

Additionally, Conference football schedules for 2011 and 2012, featuring the return of Lamar’s football program, were approved.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1477344

McBeat -- can you help us out in finding out the breakdown of home and away for each team...?

Lionsrking
June 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Lamar is in for a tough 2011. I believe this was a bit early for their inclusion and is a different path than any other recent school to start football as a new program. One thing to go from Division II to Division I, but this is going to put the pressure on Lamar to find a nice balance of transfers (JUCO and otherwise) plus freshmen if they want to have the experience and depth to contend with the rest of the conference.

Each team in the conference will have four home and four away games beginning in 2011 under this format. Currently, it's four home and three away and vice-versa on a rotating basis.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1477344

McBeat -- can you help us out in finding out the breakdown of home and away for each team...?

I don't think 2011 is too early for Lamar. We began Southland play in our third season after reinstatement and could have easily competed in our second. If their administration is willing to ramp up the financial commitment, they should have no problem fielding a competitive team by then. I don't see where waiting an extra year or two would be of any benefit, assuming they have the financial support in place.

slycat
June 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
interesting

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Nicholls AD is happy about this as it relates to scheduling...for those SLC fans, a great Q&A with the AD that I encourage you to read...

Q: Why did it take so long to put together a football schedule?

A: Well, I think we tried to make it a collaborative effort between me and coach (Jay) Thomas and people on his staff. It was difficult, because in the fall he is in the midst of his season and after that it is recruiting. After that, there is a small window, but we have to do a better job of sitting down and discussing potential opponents earlier in the year instead of waiting to make it convenient to our daily schedules because there really is not convenient time. I think we learned a lesson and we will get that corrected.

Q: With Lamar adding football for the 2011 season, would that help in scheduling?

A: Beginning in 2011 we will have to find just three non-conference opponents and that will make it easier. Just a few years ago, we had to find six, and that was impossible.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20080607/ARTICLES/806070308

McNeese_beat
June 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
My understanding is that Lamar will be McNeese's Week 12 (season finale) opponent which gives everybody natural rivals to close the season with (Sam Houston-Texas State, SFA-Northwestern, Nichollls-SLU) but Central Arkanasas will, at least for the first couple of years, be stuck with the final week bye.

Maybe Missouri State or Pine Bluff can fill that spot and be a traditional game.

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
When Texas State-San Marcos leaves the conference (much to the chagrin of all, I'm sure), I wonder the final week of the season would be...probably would put SHSU vs UCA as I do not see them moving to the Chief Caddo battle to a different time in the season to accommodate the "Battle of the Piney Woods".

BEAR
June 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well, I don't think it will matter the order of when who plays who...UCA will have the conference wrapped up early..ala McNeese..xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx JK

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Well, I don't think it will matter the order of when who plays who...UCA will have the conference wrapped up early..ala McNeese..xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx JK

UCA is going to be a quick riser in the SLC when they get their full Division I status, which should come around the same time all their facilities are in line. It's going to be no surprise to anyone...

Question is, how consistent can they be at football in Conway, especially if Clint Conque were to leave?

slycat
June 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM
When Texas State-San Marcos leaves the conference (much to the chagrin of all, I'm sure), I wonder the final week of the season would be...probably would put SHSU vs UCA as I do not see them moving to the Chief Caddo battle to a different time in the season to accommodate the "Battle of the Piney Woods".

do you think they wold move the sfa game to the end of the year? or do yall have a set weekend you usually play?

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
do you think they wold move the sfa game to the end of the year? or do yall have a set weekend you usually play?

Said above that I do not see them moving our game as NWST-SFA is just as meaningful, if not more so a football game. As much as I prefer SHSU-SFA at the end, I do respect that.

SHSU vs UCA it is! Much tougher opponent on a year to year basis than the Bobcats ever were. Perhaps we can keep the Bobcats on that spot so we can still get an easier foe...

BearsCountry
June 8th, 2008, 10:12 PM
UCA is going to be a quick riser in the SLC when they get their full Division I status, which should come around the same time all their facilities are in line. It's going to be no surprise to anyone...

Question is, how consistent can they be at football in Conway, especially if Clint Conque were to leave?

There is getting to be some really good football talent in Arkansas. I know UCA doesnt like it but we have have been mining NW Arkansas for some players. More that area grows the better for both of our programs.

Purple Pride
June 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM
There is getting to be some really good football talent in Arkansas. I know UCA doesnt like it but we have have been mining NW Arkansas for some players. More that area grows the better for both of our programs.
NW AR is Missouri.:D

If you want to cut us off at your bootheel, we'd be more than willing to give it to you.xthumbsupx

We're mining elsewhere.

BearsCountry
June 8th, 2008, 10:54 PM
NW AR is Missouri.:D

If you want to cut us off at your bootheel, we'd be more than willing to give it to you.xthumbsupx

We're mining elsewhere.

Okay I'll take Bentonville, Rogers, and Springdale. You guys can keep Fayetteville. :D

BEAR
June 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Okay I'll take Bentonville, Rogers, and Springdale. You guys can keep Fayetteville. :D

umm...no thanks...smells like swine up there. We'll hit Louisiana and Texas pretty hard. xthumbsupx

HPCAT
June 8th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Said above that I do not see them moving our game as NWST-SFA is just as meaningful, if not more so a football game. As much as I prefer SHSU-SFA at the end, I do respect that.

SHSU vs UCA it is! Much tougher opponent on a year to year basis than the Bobcats ever were. Perhaps we can keep the Bobcats on that spot so we can still get an easier foe...

That is pretty big talk for a team that has lost the last 3 out of 5 to TXST and still trail the series by like 14 games. Simple facts, but I am anxious to see your spin.

How does a losing teams fan in his right mind talk smack like they are a powerhouse ? Never mind, I think I answered my question......LMAO Everyone on the board knows your agenda, let it go and get a life man.

I am so glad I have met some SHST fans with class at the tailgates, and through personal friends, so I know you are not a true representative of the University.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM
That is pretty big talk for a team that has lost the last 3 out of 5 to TXST and still trail the series by like 14 games. Simple facts, but I am anxious to see your spin.

Since 1986 and the teams coming into FCS, SHSU is 14-7-1 against the Bobcats. We trail the series due to results from the 1920s, 1940s, 1950s and 1970s. You can live in the past if you'd like, but SHSU has done rather favorably against the Bobcats at this level.

How does a losing teams fan in his right mind talk smack like they are a powerhouse ? Never mind, I think I answered my question......LMAO Everyone on the board knows your agenda, let it go and get a life man.

Can't be talking about me, seeing as we are no powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination. Must be referring to yourself considering the Bobcats are a "perennial" title contender in the SLC, with all of their one title (achieved questionably at that - SEE Mataskis). That must make you a power!

My agenda is making sure you do not make a mistake in going FBS. If you do that, you are likely blowing the chances of SHSU and even Lamar of doing it, because the system will want to see a school do it the right way before they let anyone else. You guys are not a FAMU situation, but still don't seem to have all your ducks in a row. We'll see how well you follow the time line, namely pertaining to success at this level before you move up... xwhistlex

UCABEARS75
June 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM

When Clint leaves, or better yet retires at UCA in about 15 years, we will be just fine.

When Clint was hired there were an incredible number of applicants. The next time we have to hire a football coach there will be that many more applicants and many more "experienced" or "up and coming" applicants due to what Clint and the university have started with the move and success in D-I.

What folks have to realize, as I am sure some of you do, is that we have been winning football games at UCA for a long, long time going back to our NAIA days (three national championships) and our success in D-II.

Our future in D-I (FCS) is even brighter due to our location, recent growth and popularity of the school, and the ability to get those athletes who want to play D-I sports who would leave the state or region before.

Our average attendance for football has more than tripled in the last 8 years. Tailgating is getting bigger and better each year. The facilities are improved (indoor practice facility, video board, new weight facility on line). The committment of the administration is very, very positive. Bright, eager new AD. Beautiful campus close to Little Rock.

I am not predicting FCS or even SLC domination by the Bears. But we will win and we will compete hard regardless of who the coach might be.

I hope Clint stays for a long, long time but should he receive an offer he can't refuse I will wish him well and welcome the new coach with my support.

JoshUCA
June 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM
When Clint leaves, or better yet retires at UCA in about 15 years, we will be just fine.

When Clint was hired there were an incredible number of applicants. The next time we have to hire a football coach there will be that many more applicants and many more "experienced" or "up and coming" applicants due to what Clint and the university have started with the move and success in D-I.

What folks have to realize, as I am sure some of you do, is that we have been winning football games at UCA for a long, long time going back to our NAIA days (three national championships) and our success in D-II.

Our future in D-I (FCS) is even brighter due to our location, recent growth and popularity of the school, and the ability to get those athletes who want to play D-I sports who would leave the state or region before.

Our average attendance for football has more than tripled in the last 8 years. Tailgating is getting bigger and better each year. The facilities are improved (indoor practice facility, video board, new weight facility on line). The committment of the administration is very, very positive. Bright, eager new AD. Beautiful campus close to Little Rock.

I am not predicting FCS or even SLC domination by the Bears. But we will win and we will compete hard regardless of who the coach might be.

I hope Clint stays for a long, long time but should he receive an offer he can't refuse I will wish him well and welcome the new coach with my support.

Ditto and Amen! xthumbsupx

txphi592
June 9th, 2008, 03:21 PM
You can live in the past if you'd like, but SHSU has done rather favorably against the Bobcats at this level.

So let's not live in the past, 5 years seems about right to look at the recent past to gauge the matchup. SHSU -Huntsville has a record of 2-3 against the Bobcats even as the Bobcats were struggling with a new offense, defense, and new coach and staff.

Seems like SHSU -Huntsville has been the easier foe in this matchup.

BEAR
June 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM

No way! I say we remove all forms of outside communication from his person so no one can call him! I want to see a 30 year career for Ole' Clint! Ha! No. Seriously, he is a phenomenal coach and will be missed if he leaves, but $$$$$$ is a strong call for anyone!

slostang
June 9th, 2008, 10:31 PM
This is bad news for Cal Poly and the other four GWFC members just like when the Big Sky expanded to nine teams when they added Northern Colorado. That is because eight teams near Cal Poly will now have one less OOC game to schedule and only a total of three OOC games. Cal Poly and the other GWFC members have to schedule 7 OOC games each year.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM
This is bad news for Cal Poly and the other four GWFC members just like when the Big Sky expanded to nine teams when they added Northern Colorado. That is because eight teams near Cal Poly will now have one less OOC game to schedule and only a total of three OOC games. Cal Poly and the other GWFC members have to schedule 7 OOC games each year.

GWFC just needs to request a schedule from the SLC and find out who has the bye each week, if the SLC is at 9 teams. That ninth team can be the designated "GWFC Squad of the Week", unless they can find a game against a SWAC team. xnodx

Ronbo
June 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM

You guys need to get busy convincing UOP, Bakersfield, and Santa Clara they need to restart their football programs and join the Great West. How about San Francisco too?