PDA

View Full Version : NEC to vote for 40 Scholarships in June

Ruler
June 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Does anyone have any info on this? I read somewhere that they were voting to increase scholarships to 40. Would this put tghe NEC on = footing with the Patriot at that point?

Does this put Albany, Monmouth, and CCSU in the middle of the CAA scholarship wise?

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
I figure most of the CAA has the full allotment going for them. This would help the NEC even more, but I am not sure how much it would help them...

danefan
June 3rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
I heard from reliable school sources that the vote will occur in June to increase to 40.

It should to be increased to allow for a full five-year recruiting cycle with scholarhips. If not, you'll end up with a year with less then 10 scholarships to give out. That would suck.

I hope the vote to increase it 10 per year until we reach the number necessary for FBS counters. (57 I think?).

We, as a league, need to take advantage of the possibility of FBS pay days. This will help the smaller private schools fund their programs properly even in the face of increasing scholarship costs. The games are out there, especially now that FBS teams are shying away from playing top FCS schools (Post- App/Michigan era).

mainejeff
June 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I've been really impressed with the leadership of the NEC. The conference has really stepped up to the plate and is really blunting any enthusiasm (if there was any to begin with) for America East to establish football as a conference sport. The NEC is making an already murky situation for Eastern FCS football even more confusing as far as future conference shuffling goes.

Dane96
June 3rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
TT-- Giving 40 rides would help IN A BIG WAY. Now, instead of lacking depth, you can split up rides (state kids, etc)....and will be 50 deep.

That gives you a legitimate amount of STARTERS AND BACKUPS with FCS skills.

It is a HUGE JUMP.

I-AA Fan
June 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I have a problem with teams being able to award grants and scholarships. However, do any of the NEC clubs currently award grants? If so, this is "double-dipping".

danefan
June 3rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
I have a problem with teams being able to award grants and scholarships. However, do any of the NEC clubs currently award grants? If so, this is "double-dipping".

Its not really double-dipping. The way I understand it grants and scholarships count the same against the NCAA scholarship limit. (same for NEC scholarship limit).

30 grants and 33 scholarships = 63 = 63 grants = 63 scholarships

Dane96
June 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
EXACTLY. Each one, no matter what you call it, counts! So, you can't bring a kid in "MERIT SCHOLARSHIP" and not have it count.

Syntax Error
June 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
equivalencies is what they call it

Ruler
June 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
If this does not go through then our beloved Albany needs to jump ship. But from what I hear the 40 is basically a done deal. Greedy schools like UA and I believe CCSU are pushing for 50. We will see.

What happens to schools like St. Francis and SHU???? Hello Pioneer?

danefan
June 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
If this does not go through then our beloved Albany needs to jump ship. But from what I hear the 40 is basically a done deal. Greedy schools like UA and I believe CCSU are pushing for 50. We will see.

What happens to schools like St. Francis and SHU???? Hello Pioneer?

I don't think something like this comes to a formal vote unless there is enough support for it. I'm not sure Albany even gets a vote (associate member).

I'd be happier if St. Francis and SHU took a hike to the Pioneer East. They are only bringing the conference SOS down. (nothing personal - just the facts).

I'd like to see it to 57 or whatever for counter and bring in maybe Rhode Island and/or Maine.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think something like this comes to a formal vote unless there is enough support for it. I'm not sure Albany even gets a vote (associate member).

I'd be happier if St. Francis and SHU took a hike to the Pioneer East. They are only bringing the conference SOS down. (nothing personal - just the facts).

I'd like to see it to 57 or whatever for counter and bring in maybe Rhode Island and/or Maine.

Wow - way to treat the schools that got you a) the autobid and b) kept the NEC together in the lean years! xrolleyesx

danefan
June 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
Wow - way to treat the schools that got you a) the autobid and b) kept the NEC together in the lean years! xrolleyesx

If they stepped up like the rest of the NEC I wouldn't have a problem with them.

Put up or get out. Sorry, the truth is harsh sometimes.

And how exactly did SFU and SHU get us the auto-bid? In 2010 the NEC would have been eligible for the Auto-bid without SFU and SHU. 6 teams playing together for the preceding two years right?

Albany
Central
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Wagner
Duquense

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM

Good thing you aren't arguing the same for the Patriot League's SOS...

But seriously, this question: is 40 full scholarships a tipping point in which the NEC schools begin to see the PL in their rear view mirror?

Dane96
June 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM

Kept us together in the lean years? No...that was ALBANY and STONY BROOK. Our threats to leave is why they went scholarship.

St. Francis and SHU were anti-this.

As for them getting us the auto-bid, they DID NOTHING. Again, it was Albany (and previously SBU), plus Monmouth, CCSU, and RMU were the BIG proponents. You think the committee really would have given that bid if CCSU, Monmouth, and Albany didnt come through with those big wins?

Frankly, much like we hear the PL guys bitch about G-Town (and as members of that league you are entitled to do so), the same can be said of Sacred Heart and St. Francis. At least St. Francis is trying to step up the schedule.

Dane96
June 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM

But seriously, this question: is 40 full scholarships a tipping point in which the NEC schools begin to see the PL in their rear view mirror?

Very valid question and in lawyerese I will say: DEPENDS.

If the NEC schedules tougher across the board...and they have the 40 rides...then YES.

If they keep scheduling patsies (yeah, you Sacred Heart) from DIII and DII...then NO.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Kept us together in the lean years? No...that was ALBANY and STONY BROOK. Our threats to leave is why they went scholarship. As for them getting us the auto-bid, they DID NOTHING.

And how exactly did SFU and SHU get us the auto-bid? In 2010 the NEC would have been eligible for the Auto-bid without SFU and SHU. 6 teams playing together for the preceding two years right?

Albany
Central
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Wagner
Duquense

Putting a lot of stock in a team that has never played a down of NEC football, I see. Look, last year SBU bailed, and without SHU and SFU you'd just have been another BSC looking up at the autobid conferences. You ought to be very, very happy that they've swallowed their concerns about going scholly and kept your conference together. I don't think your autobid dreams would have been fufilled if the NEC were a shrinking conference with 5 members.

But then again, what do I know? xrolleyesx

I am not saying that Albany (and others) were wrong to push for scholarships, or whatever. But it's striking that two long-standing full NEC members are getting crap from an affiliate in football only about not wanting scholarships.

danefan
June 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Putting a lot of stock in a team that has never played a down of NEC football, I see. Look, last year SBU bailed, and without SHU and SFU you'd just have been another BSC looking up at the autobid conferences. You ought to be very, very happy that they've swallowed their concerns about going scholly and kept your conference together. I don't think your autobid dreams would have been fufilled if the NEC were a shrinking conference with 5 members.

I am not saying that Albany (and others) were wrong to push for scholarships, or whatever. But it's striking that two long-standing full NEC members are getting crap from an affiliate in football only about not wanting scholarships.

SHU and to an extent SFU are running their football program like the NEC is still competing with the MAAC for slightly better then DIII status. The rest of the NEC is trying (at different levels) to move beyond that and to a great extent has. This is not the NEC of 2000.

They both could vote no to the scholarship increases. That's fine. They'll also be waving goodbye to Albany at the very least. The NEC is an evolving conference. SFU and SHU have yet to evolve. The same can be said for Wagner's scheduling effort.

Dane96
June 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM

Remember, Albany has three CAA school members sitting on our Board of Trustees. One of them happens to be the AD at William and Mary. Albany, if it chose, could have left to go to the Big South. Additionally, they could (but we all agree this is bad) go independent. It is pretty common knowledge that if the CAA DID expand football...Albany (and Stony Brook) would be on the VERY SHORT LIST.

So, the point is, Bryant (though new...are all biz), Duquense, CCSU, Albany, and Monmouth have ALL STEPPED up their efforts. RMU is very close to the same thing. The others...sorry, they have not. So...I am ok calling those others out. Finally, it is not just the affiliate members (Duquense and Albany) calling out the other schools...it is Monmouth and CCSU who have been vocal about it.

Go...gate
June 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM

Clearly, the two conferences will be very close at that point.

Dane96
June 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Agreed. Right now, top-to-bottom the PL has the edge. However, if and when the vote goes to 40...and if all the schools (or a majority) go to 40...I would say it would be a yearly toss-up.

Seawolf97
June 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
This can only improve the level of competition in the Northeast. This is going to level the playing field for NEC teams against the CAA, PL and IVY.
Hope it goes through.

BobbyMo
June 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
For what it is worth, and it has been said a couple times here. RMU, while not playing the best on Saturdays of late, has been behind the raise in scholarships.

I am very proud of RMU, and the other NEC schools that are, doing their part to improve the conference. I think Bryant and Duq. will do nothing but help in the future. It could be a long road, but they have made great strides in recent past.

BobbyMo
June 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
This can only improve the level of competition in the Northeast. This is going to level the playing field for NEC teams against the CAA, PL and IVY.
Hope it goes through.

Seawolf,
Without digging up old posts, just curious to your thoughts about SB leaving the NEC? Would they change if the NEC goes to 40?

Seawolf97
June 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Seawolf,
Without digging up old posts, just curious to your thoughts about SB leaving the NEC? Would they change if the NEC goes to 40?

I really dont think they would come back unless the NEC went to a full scholarship conference of 63 rides. We open this season at just under 63 scholarship players but will be considered a counter team in 2008. They have already booked teams like Rutgers and Army for the future so going back would be impossible.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Seawolf,

They wouldn't even if it went to 63 rides, for the Big South Conference would justifiably kill them for blowing their autobid into the playoffs. Maybe after the BSC has the autobid for a while and Presby becomes a full-time member, maybe. But no way would that happen right now.

Dane96
June 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Just curious-- how would the BS kill them? If there is a damage clause...then SBU pays it. Other than that, the BS has no leg to stand on if SBU left.

That being said, SBU won't leave for exactly the reason Seawolf mentions.

Seawolf97
June 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
They wouldn't even if it went to 63 rides, for the Big South Conference would justifiably kill them for blowing their autobid into the playoffs. Maybe after the BSC has the autobid for a while and Presby becomes a full-time member, maybe. But no way would that happen right now.

One thing you have to realize is that Stonybrook joined the Big South for four seasons. So after 2011 we can stay or move on to another conference if they chose. I know it seems like a marriage of conveinence and it probably is but it gives Stonybrook alot of flexibility in the future. By 2011 PC will be up to speed so who knows.