PDA

View Full Version : Big South Championship (AKA) Coastal vs Gardner Webb

CCU2003
October 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I felt that this thread needed to be started due to the fact that if Coastal handles GW then by no small stretch of the imagination the Big South battle is over. I know that VMI has a good thing brewing up in Lexington, but the winner of this game is in the driver’s seat with the seatbelt fastened. GW has played two difficult games back to back while the Chanticleers finally got the chance to nurse some lingering injuries. If you combine that with the fact that the game is being played in Conway, I believe CCU takes this one comfortably. But I will be keeping my eye on the VMI/Wofford battle to see just how far the Keydets have come.

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I felt that this thread needed to be started due to the fact that if Coastal handles GW then by no small stretch of the imagination the Big South battle is over. I know that VMI has a good thing brewing up in Lexington, but the winner of this game is in the driver’s seat with the seatbelt fastened. GW has played two difficult games back to back while the Chanticleers finally got the chance to nurse some lingering injuries. If you combine that with the fact that the game is being played in Conway, I believe CCU takes this one comfortably. But I will be keeping my eye on the VMI/Wofford battle to see just how far the Keydets have come.

I think many on this board have already dismissed the rest of the Big South. I think VMI may be our biggest concern, but only time will tell.

I think we need to be ready for any of the games - we ticked a lot of folks off last year by moving up 'too early' and they'll all want some revenge. I don't like haivng to come off of a bye week though.

We should win out but ... Any Given Saturday.

JMU Duke Dog
October 10th, 2005, 08:33 PM
JMU fans will definitely be cheering for CCU to win this Big South game and all Big South games so CCU wins their conference and if both teams are lucky enough maybe we will see you all in the playoffs.

keydet71
October 10th, 2005, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=CCU2003]I felt that this thread needed to be started due to the fact that if Coastal handles GW then by no small stretch of the imagination the Big South battle is over. I know that VMI has a good thing brewing up in Lexington, but.......[QUOTE]

Coastal, don't forget you have to play the game first....two years ago, Wofford forgot & "enjoyed" Thanksgiving dinner in front of their TVs.

:nod:

Coastal89
October 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=CCU2003]I felt that this thread needed to be started due to the fact that if Coastal handles GW then by no small stretch of the imagination the Big South battle is over. I know that VMI has a good thing brewing up in Lexington, but.......[QUOTE]

Coastal, don't forget you have to play the game first....two years ago, Wofford forgot & "enjoyed" Thanksgiving dinner in front of their TVs.

That's why I cringed when I read this rediculous opening post. I guys need to learn to focus before we can count any game won before it's played.

CCU2003
October 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM

I don't think any CCU fan needs to be reminded of what looking past your next opponent will get you (Newberry '04). In a way I agree with roka that VMI might very well be our most difficult game, but with Keydets being our homecoming game, I don't think there will be any chance of the Chants not "focusing" on that one!

Coastal89
October 10th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Well maybe we can count Mansfeild as a win. I'm looking for near 100 points from CCU in that one. :D

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
This whole situation is just tough. We have to expect to be challenged every game we play but then again - we will be favored (sometimes heavily) in all of the games.

The bottom line is we HAVE to win out - in order to do that we have to win this week. That should be motivation enough.

rokamortis
October 10th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I don't think any CCU fan needs to be reminded of what looking past your next opponent will get you (Newberry '04). In a way I agree with roka that VMI might very well be our most difficult game, but with Keydets being our homecoming game, I don't think there will be any chance of the Chants not "focusing" on that one!

We whipped up on GWU last year in homecoming and VMI spoiled our 2003 HC.

th0m
October 11th, 2005, 05:14 AM
You haven't even played a single conference game, and already talking about being champs ;)

rokamortis
October 11th, 2005, 05:59 AM
You haven't even played a single conference game, and already talking about being champs ;)

You guys were too even before a game was played :D

I don't think anyone is guaranteeing that we'll win the conference but we know what we need to do to reach the goal. Plus, many outsiders don't expect us to have much trouble with the rest of our schedule, if we do then we'll never heasr the end of it.

Sly Fox
October 11th, 2005, 07:41 AM
The Chants SHOULD cruise through a very weak Big South (even by our conference's low standards). But I wouldn't overlook a certain road trip to Virginia either. ;) Chatty almost made that mistake.

rokamortis
October 11th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Chatty almost made that mistake.

That was agame that Liberty could've and should've won.

Sly Fox
October 11th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I'm still trying figure out how we could give it away so quickly. Oh well.

We'll be watching the CCU-GW game frokm afar with great interest.

windwalker
October 11th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Youth and exuberance...

If I remember correctly, a conference race isn't over until all of the games are played.

I have been saying all year that we only focus on the game coming up.
I think this week's game with GW will be a good game to watch. And... because I am biased, I hope that Coastal comes out on the winning end of it.