PDA

View Full Version : Dark horses for 2008

appstate38
June 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Can you pick a team other than your own that you would like to see make some serious noise this upcoming season. The field is wide open. Doesn't have to be underdogs or cellar dwellers.

For me I will give a shout out to the Bison of NDSU. Since this is your 1st year of being playoff eligible. I would like to see you make a big splash!

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Can you pick a team other than your own that you would like to see make some serious noise this upcoming season. The field is wide open. Doesn't have to be underdogs or cellar dwellers.

For me I will give a shout out to the Bison of NDSU. Since this is your 1st year of being playoff eligible. I would like to see you make a big splash!

Hmmmm....and I like to see them go about 3-6 in conference. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'll say Maine. I've always liked Maine. I'd love to see them return to prominence. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Grizzaholic
June 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
In the Big Sky, I will have to say Weber St. For some odd reason I really like them to win a bunch of games.

Skjellyfetti
June 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Elon. I think they'll have a great year.

putter
June 2nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I still think Cal Poly is being overlooked. They should do well.

OL FU
June 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Well since we are talking dark horses and who we would like to do well (not who we think), I will say Western Carolina. They have suffered enoughxnodx

Gil Dobie
June 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hmmmm....and I like to see them go about 3-6 in conference. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'll say Maine. I've always liked Maine. I'd love to see them return to prominence. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Feeling is now mutual for the Griz xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Northern Arizona is my darkhorse pick xthumbsupx

bostonspider
June 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Even though they are UR's biggest rival I would like to see W&M turn it around, great coach, beautiful and stellar school, and a classy program with great fans.

skinny_uncle
June 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM

Considering they have been ranked the last couple of years, I don't see them as that dark of a horse. They are expected to be a contender now that they are eligible.

danefan
June 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Considering they have been ranked the last couple of years, I don't see them as that dark of a horse. They are expected to be a contender now that they are eligible.

Expected?

By some accounts they've already won the 2008 National Championship....xlolx xlolx

RabidRabbit
June 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
I hope that SUU can have at least a .500 season.

New coach there, finally up to either 57 or 63 schollies, playing both of the transitioning UxD's.

I know they went 0-11 last year, but they were in a LOT of games. In fact, they were about one down from taking down SDSU last year.

Saint3333
June 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Everyone is jumping of the Elon bandwagon, which is a little premature IMO. I look to another SoCon member for the 2008 darkhorse.

GSU you can only keep good program down a couple years. They should have a great defense and are accumulating talented players at skill positions. The biggest question mark for me (even more than the QB replacement) is the depth on the o-line.

Others: Cal Poly, EWU, and Nova will all make some noise in 2008.

elcid96
June 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
I'll go Western Carolina as well. They have been without for so long.

elcid96
June 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Expected?

By some accounts they've already won the 2008 National Championship....xlolx xlolx

They have provided a lot of votes in the FCS elimnation game. I wonder if that counts?xlolx xlolx

Tod
June 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
I hope that SUU can have at least a .500 season.

New coach there, finally up to either 57 or 63 schollies, playing both of the transitioning UxD's.

I know they went 0-11 last year, but they were in a LOT of games. In fact, they were about one down from taking down SDSU last year.

Weren't they a missed FG from beating YSU as well?

I'll go with SUU and WCU like some other folks have said, too.

Also, I'd love to see any of the weaker Big Sky teams have a breakout season.

Lastly...Savannah State!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

Thumper250
June 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Tough to admit, but I think Liberty will challenge for the playoffs and a deep run into said playoffs in 2008. Rashad Jennings will be a potential late first round/second round draftee next April. Kid can play.

Ivytalk
June 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'd like to see Dartmouth bounce back so we can "bring back the hate.":D I'd like to see Columbia do well so we can manufacture some hate!:p

Hoyadestroya85
June 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
the salukis of southern illinois

Rob Iola
June 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
the salukis of southern illinois
Howza 2007 semi-finalist a dark horse?

That said, and at the risk of a flurry of red chicklets from my Henz brethren, I'd like to see Georgetown's safety school Villanova make the playoffs this year...

Thundar
June 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Indiana ST.xthumbsupx

WVAPPmountaineer
June 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Northern Arizona - I was impressed with them last year in their game at Boone - I really liked their QB -Kreisen (?)

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Everyone is jumping of the Elon bandwagon, which is a little premature IMO. I look to another SoCon member for the 2008 darkhorse.

GSU you can only keep good program down a couple years. They should have a great defense and are accumulating talented players at skill positions. The biggest question mark for me (even more than the QB replacement) is the depth on the o-line.

Others: Cal Poly, EWU, and Nova will all make some noise in 2008.

I'm not sure either Cal Poly OR EWU can be looked as as "dark horses"....EWU was one of the last 8 left standing last year, and Cal Poly is ranked in the top 10 in most polls....hardly the makings of a dark horse.

NAU? Now THAT would be a dark horse....UC Davis? Very dark. Sac State? Blacker than the ace of spades. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

appstate38
June 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM

I picked them as a dark horse simply because they haven't had the playoff experience yet. No disrespect intended.

slycat
June 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
URI. New coach and such. Plus Cobblestone won't get an ulcer.

slostang
June 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Weren't they a missed FG from beating YSU as well?

I'll go with SUU and WCU like some other folks have said, too.

Also, I'd love to see any of the weaker Big Sky teams have a breakout season.

Lastly...Savannah State!! xnodx xnodx xnodx

They gave Cal Poly all they could handle last year. I would like to see them do well next season, just not when they come to SLO.

onbison09
June 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I picked them as a dark horse simply because they haven't had the playoff experience yet. No disrespect intended.

None taken by this Bison fan. Honest question: Where does all the Bison hatred come from? Is it certain fans or the fact that we're new to FCS? Not intended as smack or anything but just wondering. My dark horse: the Western Illinois Leathernecks. Good running back and an extremely awesome nickname.

CID1990
June 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Samford.

FargoBison
June 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
None taken by this Bison fan. Honest question: Where does all the Bison hatred come from? Is it certain fans or the fact that we're new to FCS? Not intended as smack or anything but just wondering. My dark horse: the Western Illinois Leathernecks. Good running back and an extremely awesome nickname.

Well there is Mplsbison, our not so beloved village idiot....

PW Bison
June 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Not sure if you can count them as a dark horse, but Cal Poly should be able to do some damage this year. As far as teams that were at the bottom last year, I am hoping SUU can put something together and throw an upset or two into their win column.

AppAlum2003
June 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM

It's kind of like the NFL veterans getting all pissy that these kids getting drafted are signing these HUGE contracts and being given the world when they haven't accomplished a thing at their level yet. Win a couple of playoff games in a row this year or next and I guarantee some of that "hate" will turn to respect.

For the record, I'm not one of the haters. More good, quality competition makes for a better Subdivision. Best of luck this season (unless, of course, we meet up in the playoffs.)

KAUMASS
June 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
I've got Villanova to the semi finals and possibly the National Championship game.

Seawolf97
June 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Even though we play them again this year I would like to the Maine Black Bears bounce back.

appmountaineer
June 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I also gotta go with the Bison, If they make the playoffs, it'll be interesting to see what they can do in their first year of eligibility.

SteelCurtain
June 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Western Illinois, they have a horse for a running back. Can't wait to see him in the FargoDome this year!!

ngineer
June 2nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
I go with Villanova..barring injuries, I think they have a lot of talent that could carry them to far places this year.
Within the PL, I'd like to see Bucknell and Georgetown surprise some people (except us)

T-Dog
June 3rd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Samford.

Nah. Don't see it. If they couldn't get close to .500 in the OVC, they won't get close to .500 in the SoCon. I doubt they got a major overhaul during the off-season.

They might make some games interesting late in the season, but I see them getting smacked around a bit this year.

I'll go with the perennial darkhorse for the last twenty years, UTC. One of these years has to be their year. xthumbsupx

...Nah, nevermind. xsmhx

I don't see WCU bouncing up this year to a winning record. Just too high a mountain (pun intended) to climb for one year.

I'll go with William and Mary myself.

terrierbob
June 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Well since we are talking dark horses and who we would like to do well (not who we think), I will say Western Carolina. They have suffered enoughxnodx

ditto

MountainMan
June 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
I'm going to say The Citadel as long as the D can step up this year. That young QB was impressive against the Apps last year.

ElonPride
June 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
I will go with El Cid.....

They have a heck of a young QB, good receivers led by 3rd team All American Andre Roberts.

AZGrizFan
June 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM

re: FCS Elimination Game thread....xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

AshevilleApp2
June 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Not really a dark horse, but I'd like to see Northern Iowa break through and win a NC sometime in the future. I'd also like to see Eastern Kentucky get back to being a contender.

Dawg2Rhody
June 3rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
URI---gotta happen eventually.

patssle
June 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
NDSU

PapaBear
June 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Even though we play them again this year I would like to the Maine Black Bears bounce back.

Awww... now how'm I supposed to work up a good hate for you guys when you come to Orono on 9/13, if you're gonna go getting all friendly and supportive?xconfusedx

xoopsx xoopsx Uh oh ... now I get it ... reverse psychology.

xnonox xnonox Well, it won't work. We owe you a big one, after that debacle we endured last year at your place.

PapaBear
June 3rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
URI---gotta happen eventually.

xrulesx Forecast from hell: Freezing temperatures from now till Doomsday.

jk. Should be an interesting game this year, if you guys can stay healthy and get comfy with the new O.

Good luck!

jaxstatealum
June 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Samford.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

So... I'll toss UTC out there. I'd like to see them do well for a change even though Rodney Allison is a prick xwhistlex

WCU LawCat
June 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I really doubt it will be UTC this year. In the SoCon I would pick Citadel since I can't pick WCU.

Seawolf97
June 3rd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Awww... now how'm I supposed to work up a good hate for you guys when you come to Orono on 9/13, if you're gonna go getting all friendly and supportive?xconfusedx

xoopsx xoopsx Uh oh ... now I get it ... reverse psychology.

xnonox xnonox Well, it won't work. We owe you a big one, after that debacle we endured last year at your place.

It should be a good game . I guess we will find out if last year was fluke or not:)