PDA

View Full Version : Referees?

Coastal89
October 10th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Something on the AGS Poll thread got me to thinking about this topic. So here I go. During the CCU-SCSU game the MEAC crew called an "Illegal Conference" penalty on the Coastal coaching staff. What they said was that Coastal had too many coaches on the feild talking to the team during a time out. They only allowed 1 coach on the feild after that, much to the displeasure of CDB. On his Sunday tv show he said they called the NCAA on Monday morning and were assured that there is no such rule in college FB. What it turns out to be is a High School rule.

My question is, Has anyone else experienced this type of problem in the past?

BTW, the resulting 15 yard penalty gave SCSU a 1st and 10 on the Coastal 15 and led to them tieing the game at half time.

blackfordpu
October 10th, 2005, 06:32 PM
All I know is that the referees at the Sam Houston game SUCKED terribly!

eaglesrthe1
October 10th, 2005, 06:33 PM
That doesn't say much for the quality of officiating. Speaking of high school. :eek:

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2005, 06:59 PM
All I know is that the referees at the Sam Houston game SUCKED terribly!

They sure liked adding time to the play clock, did they not? We have one helluva timekeeper (heck, I call him All-SLC timekeeper) who's been doing it for ages for both basketball and football. I got no clue what was going on, but those refs liked screwing with the clock...

savannahjohn
October 10th, 2005, 07:19 PM
This happened this past weekend in Statesboro: Thanks to an off-season auction, I was Coach For A Day for the GSU-Western Carolina game. During the pre-game I was walking the sidelines soaking in the charged atmosphere. Suddenly, the referee approaches me. He sees me in the GSU coaching shirt (which they gave me as part of the "experience".)

Underneath the GSU team name on my shirt is this: "Coach For A Day" written in script. The ref looks at my shirt and then back at me. "Coach Foraday, do you know where today's game balls are?" The guy who was gonna call the game had read Coach For A Day and thought it was my name- Coach Foraday.

I found it both hilarious and sad at the same time. Though I may start using that as my screen name. :)

DotCat
October 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM
"Coach Foraday, do you know where today's game balls are?"

That's beautiful.

The officials in the SoCon have blown calls for years.

Tod
October 10th, 2005, 07:37 PM
This happened this past weekend in Statesboro: Thanks to an off-season auction, I was Coach For A Day for the GSU-Western Carolina game. During the pre-game I was walking the sidelines soaking in the charged atmosphere. Suddenly, the referee approaches me. He sees me in the GSU coaching shirt (which they gave me as part of the "experience".)

Underneath the GSU team name on my shirt is this: "Coach For A Day" written in script. The ref looks at my shirt and then back at me. "Coach Foraday, do you know where today's game balls are?" The guy who was gonna call the game had read Coach For A Day and thought it was my name- Coach Foraday.

I found it both hilarious and sad at the same time. Though I may start using that as my screen name. :)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I would, that's a great name. :nod:

skinny_uncle
October 10th, 2005, 08:01 PM
They sure liked adding time to the play clock, did they not? We have one helluva timekeeper (heck, I call him All-SLC timekeeper) who's been doing it for ages for both basketball and football. I got no clue what was going on, but those refs liked screwing with the clock...
Saw similar problems (with clock) in the SIU-WIU game last week. There were also several flags that were waved off. It sure interrupted the flow of the game.
:confused:

JALMOND
October 10th, 2005, 09:36 PM
The "Illegal conference" penalty is a pretty good one. Reminds me of the time in college when we got flagged (twice) for "illegal handoff" (no kidding). Seems that the officials were saying that the QB had to either immediately hand the ball off to the back, or take it immediately out himself (in other words, no delay). Needless to say, we did not change our game plan after that. Since then, I have never seen a penalty for "illegal handoff" in HS, college or pro.

When you play Montana Tech in Butte, you have to expect some unusual calls.

catbob
October 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM
The "Illegal conference" penalty is a pretty good one. Reminds me of the time in college when we got flagged (twice) for "illegal handoff" (no kidding). Seems that the officials were saying that the QB had to either immediately hand the ball off to the back, or take it immediately out himself (in other words, no delay). Needless to say, we did not change our game plan after that. Since then, I have never seen a penalty for "illegal handoff" in HS, college or pro.

I still like the Refs in Bozeman last year letting PSU punt the ball not once, but twice after the playclock clearly expired.

Baldy
October 10th, 2005, 10:53 PM

Why does that not suprise me? :confused:

BlackSaturday
October 10th, 2005, 11:05 PM
If I remember correctly, during the Maine playoff game a few years ago there was a disputed fumble call. After a long conference the zebras called replay of down. I had a flash back to 5th grade recess and someone yelling "Do-over"

Jacks99
October 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM
No illegal conference call, but we had a good laugh at the Illegal participitation call. We sent the kicking team out and the offense didn't come off.

I've been dissapointed at the refs so far the first two years of DI-AA I think we are still using the same refs from D2. I've yet to see a pass interefernce call in the endzone. We've had a player mugged in the game vs Poly and Davis and no call :mad:

Hansel
October 11th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Cal-Poly got called for a "disconcertion penalty" last week, forgot what the explanation was.

NDSU has been using Big 10 officials for their home games this year, and from what I hear they are doing a good job (as one would expect)

Jacks99
October 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Cal-Poly got called for a "disconcertion penalty" last week, forgot what the explanation was.

NDSU has been using Big 10 officials for their home games this year, and from what I hear they are doing a good job (as one would expect)

Sounds like SDSU should pony up some cash and get some better refs!

bison95
October 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM
No illegal conference call, but we had a good laugh at the Illegal participitation call. We sent the kicking team out and the offense didn't come off.

I've been dissapointed at the refs so far the first two years of DI-AA I think we are still using the same refs from D2. I've yet to see a pass interefernce call in the endzone. We've had a player mugged in the game vs Poly and Davis and no call :mad:

I must disagree. Seem to remember one of those Phantom calls last year in Brookings :eek:

AZGrizFan
October 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM
That's beautiful.

The officials in the SoCon have blown calls for years.

Wow. Lucky Calls. Where do I sign up? ;) :D :p

SoCon48
October 11th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I like the game where ASU set a record for the most penalties against themselves in 75+ years of their football history and some opponent fans said the refs were biased against them (the opponent)!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Coastal89
October 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Note to all. Never argue with an idiot because eventually you'll look like one
to.

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM

what kind of call is that..i still dont understand what went on in the play

MR. CHICKEN
October 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
AH REMEBER UH FEW YEARS BACK...UNDERAH TUBBY RAYMOND.....IT WAS OUR OPENIN' DAY..DAT SEASON.....ON DUH BLUEHEN......FIRST POSESSION.......THE FIRST COUPLE O' DOWNS........DUH ZEBRAS CALLED UD..FO' ILLEGAL MOTION..AS DUH WING-T..ALWAYS USED......................TUBBY WAS SO INCENSED AS HE RAN OUT TA DUH FIELD....AN' GAVE DEM AN EARFUL..(HE IS UH FORMER CHAIRMAN O' DUH NCAA RULES COMMITTEE).......HE LATER SAID IN DUH JOURNAL.....DAT HE TOLD DEM..."IFIN' YA AIN'T GONNA ALLOW US TA GO IN MOTION.......WE MAY AS WELL GO HOME NOW"........NEEDLESS TA SAY.....NARY UH TWEET FROM DUH REFS..ON MOTION CALLS AGIN'!.........TUBBY WAS AS ANIMATED AS AH HAVE EVERAH SEEN....DAT DAY!.........:coach:........BRAWK!

JALMOND
October 11th, 2005, 01:41 PM
The explanation we got for the "illegal handoff" play was also a little hazy. I'll never forget the look on our coach's face when the official was trying to explain it. How our coach explained in at film on Sunday was the QB had to immediately hand the ball off to the back or immediately fake it. The QB and the back could not run together with the ball, thus deceiving the defense into who had it.

Was only a 5-yard penalty and replay of the down. Tech did decline one of the penalties. I have never seen any team since then receive an "illegal handoff" penalty.

Coastal89
October 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM
The QB and the back could not run together with the ball, thus deceiving the defense into who had it.
Ah, the old handoff ruskie. :)

SoCon48
October 11th, 2005, 01:56 PM
:rolleyes:
Note to all. Never argue with an idiot because eventually you'll look like you to.

Can't figure what the H "you'll look like you to" means in English.

Anyway, if you see the guy who thinks the refs are biased AGAINST his team when they call only 49 yards in penalties on them but 183 on the opponent, please help him get back on the little bus. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 03:16 PM
The explanation we got for the "illegal handoff" play was also a little hazy. I'll never forget the look on our coach's face when the official was trying to explain it. How our coach explained in at film on Sunday was the QB had to immediately hand the ball off to the back or immediately fake it. The QB and the back could not run together with the ball, thus deceiving the defense into who had it.

Was only a 5-yard penalty and replay of the down. Tech did decline one of the penalties. I have never seen any team since then receive an "illegal handoff" penalty.

Still kind of weird...was it that you were suppose to be kneeling the ball to kill time at the end of the game...and instead of kneeling or spiking the ball the QB tried to delay some time off of the clock and then handed it off to the running back

bisonguy
October 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Disconcertion is called when a player on defense is audibly trying to mimic the snap count in order to draw a player on offense offsides.

Some of the best officiating I've ever seen. I'm sure they're not cheap, but the expense is well worth it.

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Disconcertion is called when a player on defense is audibly trying to mimic the snap count in order to draw a player on offense offsides.

Some of the best officiating I've ever seen. I'm sure they're not cheap, but the expense is well worth it.

As for that call...it is a load of crap...Every play on the defense the Whip Line Back Yells Move...Play in and Play out...so out of 60 snaps a game on Defense...he gives a MOVE call 60 plays....so to call that is chicken crap...

As long as someone moves on the defensive line and actually MOVES it wll never be called...

MR. CHICKEN
October 11th, 2005, 03:50 PM
As for that call...it is a load of crap...Every play on the defense the Whip Line Back Yells Move...Play in and Play out...so out of 60 snaps a game on Defense...he gives a MOVE call 60 plays....so to call that is chicken crap...

As long as someone moves on the defensive line and actually MOVES it wll never be called...

"CHICKEN CRAP"...WHAT'S DAT SUPPOSED TA MEAN?????.......WHY NOT STANG CRAP...BISON CRAP...PENGUIN CRAP......EAGLE CRAP....BOBCAT CRAP....GRIZZ CRAP.......OR EVEN...SALUKI CRAP?????.......AWK!

Stang Fever
October 11th, 2005, 04:32 PM
"CHICKEN CRAP"...WHAT'S DAT SUPPOSED TA MEAN?????.......WHY NOT STANG CRAP...BISON CRAP...PENGUIN CRAP......EAGLE CRAP....BOBCAT CRAP....GRIZZ CRAP.......OR EVEN...SALUKI CRAP?????.......AWK!

LOL..........i was short for chicken *****

MR. CHICKEN
October 11th, 2005, 07:24 PM
OK....WHA NOT STANG *****.....GRIZZ *****.......PENGUIN *****...ETC?.......AWK!

blukeys
October 11th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I have taken in at least one MEAC game a year for the last 20 years and the officiating is always bad with most high school games being better officiated. I have the tape of the UD - Lafayette playoff game last year for anyone who wants to witness true incompetence in action . For the record MEAC officials are equally bad for both teams on the field and their bad calls tend to even out. The frustration level drives one crazy and yes MEAC officials are worse than A-10 officials. This should really scare any A-10 fans out of their pants. ;)

MEAC officials seem to like to throw the flag about 20 feet in the air whenever they call a penalty. I have no clue why I have just seen it consistently since John Taylor played for Del State.

Golden Eagle
October 12th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I always heard the rumor that when SEC officials are not making the grade, they get sent down to the OVC. Now, as we all know, the SEC has terrible officiating. So how bad does that make the OVC refs?!?!

COLONELSINCE78
October 12th, 2005, 10:33 AM
You are right about the SEC/OVC ref sharing deal. We get the smelly end of the stick. I like those goofy games like on a Tuesday or Wednesday...at least we get some better refs on those night since the SEC action is minimal

kats89
October 12th, 2005, 10:47 AM

TT, from what I heard it was not the clock operator having the problem. It was the referee on the field not starting/stopping his clock correctly. I knew it was going to be a long day with the officials from the opening coin flip. Exactly from the head ref's mouth at the coin toss...

"NW St has won the toss, they have chosen to defer to the second half and will receive the ball." :confused:

I thought, oh brother, I see what kind of game this going to be!!!

GeauxLions94
October 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM
"NW St has won the toss, they have chosen to defer to the second half and will receive the ball." :confused:

I thought, oh brother, I see what kind of game this going to be!!!

Wasn't that the same referee who screwed up the coin toss in the Pittsburgh-Detroit Thanksgiving game a few years back? xidiotx

Jerome Bettis called one thing and the official called the other and the Steelers got jipped.

kats89
October 12th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Wasn't that the same referee who screwed up the coin toss in the Pittsburgh-Detroit Thanksgiving game a few years back? xidiotx

Jerome Bettis called one thing and the official called the other and the Steelers got jipped.

Yep it was.

We got the ball first, but the ref sure didn't explain right for the football illierate.

McNeese75
October 12th, 2005, 05:17 PM
We had SWAC officials last week. Now they are really BAD!!! We had a five minute time out so they could talk to the pressbox to try and figure out what down it was (they were trying to say it was a MSU 4th down after only two plays were run). Ball spots were all over the place and anything within a yard of where it should have been was considered close and you can forget about getting a holding call against a pass rush (of course that is probably a league thing because all SWAC teams are pass oriented). :bang:

blukeys
October 12th, 2005, 08:20 PM
We had SWAC officials last week. Now they are really BAD!!! We had a five minute time out so they could talk to the pressbox to try and figure out what down it was (they were trying to say it was a MSU 4th down after only two plays were run). Ball spots were all over the place and anything within a yard of where it should have been was considered close and you can forget about getting a holding call against a pass rush (of course that is probably a league thing because all SWAC teams are pass oriented). :bang:

SWAC officials are just MEAC officials in training 75.

blackfordpu
October 12th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Yep it was.

We got the ball first, but the ref sure didn't explain right for the football illierate.

Kats, where were you sitting at the game. A gentleman right in front of me said the exact same thing. :)

McNeese75
October 12th, 2005, 11:27 PM
SWAC officials are just MEAC officials in training 75.

:eek: :D Who ever gets Hampton better hope for a neutral officiating team :p

JALMOND
October 13th, 2005, 12:43 PM
On a blustery day in Bismarck, ND, playing college football, we deferred and got the ball at the beginning of the game. Our opponent, Mary College, took the wind to begin the game, thus the official said we get the ball. At the beginning of the second half, we took the ball again and Mary asked for the wind. We actually got the ball at the beginning of both halves and still lost the game. Seems a little odd, but that I have seen since.

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM
:eek: :D Who ever gets Hampton better hope for a neutral officiating team :p

I thought I-AA playoffs always had neutral officiating crews. I know the SHSU/WKU game sure did last year...

McNeese75
October 13th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I thought I-AA playoffs always had neutral officiating crews. I know the SHSU/WKU game sure did last year...

SWAC, MEAC, pick your poison (and yes the crew is neutral, just hope you don't get one of them from those conferences although the Big Sky zebras have a tendancy to ignore a little jersey grabbing as well)

ngineer
October 13th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Learned today that one of the officials from the Lehigh/Holy Cross game is being disciplined for the "phantom" block in the back call on the crucial punt that would have pinned the Crusaders inside their own 10 with 4 minutes to go. Film was reviewed by another conference's officials. Not sure how the NCAA handles such reviews.