PDA

View Full Version : Position Rankings- QBs

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm hearing that TSN might be starting up the position rankings this week and of course the first position is QB.

Here are a few QBs who come to mind that seem to be locks for the rankings.

Armanti Edwards, App State
Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross
Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas
Liam Coen, UMASS
Rodney Landers, James Madison
Matt Nichols, Eastern Washington
Scott Riddle, Elon

Transfers such as Ryan Perrilloux, Bobby Reid, and maybe even a QB moving up from the D2 ranks will be on the list.

I can think of more but just wanted to post the top names out there. Let's hear from everyone else. Do you have a QB who should be ranked and if so why?

Let's hear some stats and analysis on your QB who you see week in and week out while most of us might only see once or twice a year, if at all.

FargoBison
June 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Its too early to talk about Nick Mertens, NDSU's new QB. However, I think Jonathan Dally from Cal Poly should be up there in the rankings.

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 11:10 PM
Its too early to talk about Nick Mertens, NDSU's new QB. However, I think Jonathan Dally from Cal Poly should be up there in the rankings.

Dally is another good one. Is Mertens more of a pocket passer or dual threat? Any additional info on him?

SteelCurtain
June 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=SmallCollegeFBFan;966354]I'm hearing that TSN might be starting up the position rankings this week and of course the first position is QB.

Liam Coen, UMASS
Scott Riddle, Elon

Transfers such as Ryan Perrilloux, Bobby Reid, and maybe even a QB moving up from the D2 ranks will be on the list.

I can think of more but just wanted to post the top names out there. Let's hear from everyone else. Do you have a QB who should be ranked and if so why?

Let's hear some stats and analysis on your QB who you see week in and week out while most of us might only see once or twice a year, if at

Your list is good I will throw out two names

Rhett BomarSam Houston St.(not sure how his knee is doing) if healthy one of the most talented players I have seen play.

Nick Mertens-NDSU I have been watching NDSU football for 30plus years and this kid is the most talented we have ever had. He has had three years to master the offense so he should hit the groud running. With a great o-line all-american RB and a very solid WR/TE He has everything in place to have a monster year.

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=SmallCollegeFBFan;966354]I'm hearing that TSN might be starting up the position rankings this week and of course the first position is QB.

Liam Coen, UMASS
Scott Riddle, Elon

Let's hear some stats and analysis on your QB who you see week in and week out while most of us might only see once or twice a year, if at

Your list is good I will throw out two names

Rhett BomarSam Houston St.(not sure how his knee is doing) if healthy one of the most talented players I have seen play.

Nick Mertens-NDSU I have been watching NDSU football for 30plus years and this kid is the most talented we have ever had. He has had three years to master the offense so he should hit the groud running. With a great o-line all-american RB and a very solid WR/TE He has everything in place to have a monster year.

Mertens is going to be a junior this year right?

Eight Legger
June 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
That's a pretty strong list, to which I will add Richmond QB Eric Ward, who will be a junior and has two years of good experience behind him. He may not be jaw-dropping in any one area yet, but he has great touch, excellent instincts and is a great game manager. Now that Hightower is gone, I expect to see Eric grab some of the spotlight with a breakout season this year.

SteelCurtain
June 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=SteelCurtain;966364]

Mertens is going to be a junior this year right?

That is correct. He red-shirted and has been on the bench for two years backing up Steve Walker.

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM
That's a pretty strong list, to which I will add Richmond QB Eric Ward, who will be a junior and has two years of good experience behind him. He may not be jaw-dropping in any one area yet, but he has great touch, excellent instincts and is a great game manager. Now that Hightower is gone, I expect to see Eric grab some of the spotlight with a breakout season this year.

Since you brought up a dual threat in Ward, anyone from Villanova have anything on their QB Antwon Young? From what I have seen both Young and Ward should have good years and be among the top 20 QBs.

FargoBison
June 1st, 2008, 11:35 PM
Dally is another good one. Is Mertens more of a pocket passer or dual threat? Any additional info on him?

I would say he is a dual threat QB(he ran for 1850 yards and 45 tds in High school and threw for 5,240 and 54 TD, he also played in a few games for the NDSU basketball team). Not sure how Bohl will use his running ability in the offense yet, he wasn't allowed to do any running in the spring game and every QB under Bohl has been a pocket passer. The one thing that was clear in the spring game is that he has a nice arm, needs to work a little more on his accuracy but he has a ton of potential.

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 11:38 PM
I would say he is a dual threat QB(he ran for 1850 yards and 45 tds in High school and threw for 5,240 and 54 TD, he also played in a few games for the NDSU basketball team). Not sure how Bohl will use his running ability in the offense yet, he wasn't allowed to do any running in the spring game and every QB under Bohl has been a pocket passer. The one thing that was clear in the spring game is that he has a nice arm, needs to work a little more on his accuracy but he has a ton of potential.

Sounds like he could be the difference in NDSU finishing in the top 5-10 or not. Best of luck to him! Maybe he will be one of the top names for next year's QB rankings? xthumbsupx

FargoBison
June 1st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Sounds like he could be the difference in NDSU finishing in the top 5-10 or not. Best of luck to him! Maybe he will be one of the top names for next year's QB rankings? xthumbsupx

I'd say that is right on, he won't need to carry the load but if he can keep opposing defenses honest Roehl and Paschall will do a lot of damage behind what should be a very solid O-line.

poly51
June 2nd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Last years NCAA FCS Quarterback efficiency ratings:

1. Josh Johnson, sr, San Diego 198.3
2. Jonathon Dally, jr, Cal Poly 196.7

next underclassman

7. Brock Smith, jr, Liberty 157.4

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerpasseff&site=org

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
Last years NCAA FCS Quarterback efficiency ratings:

1. Josh Johnson, sr, San Diego 198.3
2. Jonathon Dally, jr, Cal Poly 196.7

next underclassman

7. Brock Smith, jr, Liberty 157.4

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerpasseff&site=org

I like Brock Smith as well. He should be ranked too I would think. He has a strong arm, good size, and makes pretty good decisions.

Tribe4SF
June 2nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Jake Phillips of W&M. 3rd team All-CAA last year. 190 of 336 for 2,801 yards with 19 TDs and 7 INTs. Also rushed for 5 TDs. A dual threat who should benefit from switch to the spread.

gophoenix
June 2nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
I would put Bart Blanchard on that list too.

813Jag
June 2nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
I'll throw my QB's hat in the ring, Bryant Lee, he had a good first season as a starter throwing only 4 picks and finishing 11th in the nation in efficiency.

http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/su+foot+lee+101307.jpg

andy7171
June 2nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Sean Schaefer
He's started 32 of 33 games and has 8,358 yards and 41 TDs going into his senior year.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/upload/1.20_towson1_200.jpg

DetroitFlyer
June 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Keep an eye on Ryan Alexander of Davidson. He is returning for a very rare 5th year at Davidson. Ryan has been an above average QB the last few years but was overshadowed by Josh Johnson and Kevin Hoyng. 2008 just might be his year. He has good size, a strong arm, and is mobile enough to get the job done. I doubt that he makes any preseason lists, but as the season progresses, he could be right up there at the top....

JoshUCA
June 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Good call on Nathan Brown from UCA...he is going to light up the SLC again this season! xthumbsupx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7gK00bZKs

elcid96
June 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Bart Blanchard will not make the pre-season poll, but look for his name about mid-season.

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Keep an eye on Ryan Alexander of Davidson. He is returning for a very rare 5th year at Davidson. Ryan has been an above average QB the last few years but was overshadowed by Josh Johnson and Kevin Hoyng. 2008 just might be his year. He has good size, a strong arm, and is mobile enough to get the job done. I doubt that he makes any preseason lists, but as the season progresses, he could be right up there at the top....

That is great to see him return. He is probably the best QB returning from the Pioneer-League.

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Surprised nobody has added Harvard's Chris Pizzotti or EKU's Allan Holland. Maybe even add Fordham's John Skelton and McNeese State's Derrick Fourroux.

NSUSPARTAN
June 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Norfolk State's Dennis Brown a transfer from UCONN, he had a good spring. He play in couple games @ UCONN. Look for him to have a big year in the MEAC.

813Jag
June 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Norfolk State's Dennis Brown a transfer from UCONN, he had a good spring. He play in couple games @ UCONN. Look for him to have a big year in the MEAC.
The QB y'all had last year was a senior?

TTUEagles
June 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
TTU will be led for the third consecutive year by (Jr)QB Lee Sweeney. He signed with Louisville out of high school. 6'3" 220+ and 2006 OVC Freshman of the Year. 2006: 180 for 356 for 2,292 yards and 17 TD's. Last year, in only 7 1/2 games, he threw for 1,453 yds (126 for 208) and 10 TD's (9 INT).

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
The QB y'all had last year was a senior?

Yes Casey Hansen, NSU's QB, is gone. He was a solid player who got a shot in the NFL. Not sure if he is still in a camp.

813Jag
June 2nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Yes Casey Hansen, NSU's QB, is gone. He was a solid player who got a shot in the NFL. Not sure if he is still in a camp.
Thanks. xthumbsupx

already123
June 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
I would have to mention our QB....1900 yards passing, 700 yards rushing....could easily become BSC Off POY!

AppAlum2003
June 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
I would have to mention our QB....1900 yards passing, 700 yards rushing....could easily become BSC Off POY!

If it's the same guy as last year... I hope App doesn't have to meet up with NAU in the playoffs. That was a stressful game to watch!

smallcollegefbfan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
If it's the same guy as last year... I hope App doesn't have to meet up with NAU in the playoffs. That was a stressful game to watch!

Yes it is Kriesen. He is back for one more year.

CrunchGriz
June 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Well, although he probably shouldn't be ranked in the top group of QBs, Montana's senior QB Cole Bergquist is probably in the group right behind:

2007 stats - 141.59 quarterback rating, 204/335 (60.9% completion rate), 2623 yards passing, 20 TDs / 8 interceptions, 379 yards rushing.

Montana doesn't employ a spread offense, so he may not be considered a double threat like a lot of QBs, but he is sneaky fast and can take off running for good yardage if you don't contain him, and has gotten stronger-armed and more accurate every year.

The Griz are going to need him to take another step up this year to compensate for a revamped running back corps. I think he will.

NSUSPARTAN
June 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Casey signed with eagles.

Ivytalk
June 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Surprised nobody has added Harvard's Chris Pizzotti or EKU's Allan Holland. Maybe even add Fordham's John Skelton and McNeese State's Derrick Fourroux.

I'll bite! Chris will pick a defense apart if you give him time in the pocket. He's a strong and accurate passer. The only real rap on him is his lack of mobility.

Spider
June 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
ditto that, eight legger..........

BEAR
June 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm hearing that TSN might be starting up the position rankings this week and of course the first position is QB.

Liam Coen, UMASS
Scott Riddle, Elon

Let's hear some stats and analysis on your QB who you see week in and week out while most of us might only see once or twice a year, if at all.

Nathan should get some more recognition this season as a senior. Here's his stats for 2007.

Brown,Nathan Games 11 Efficiency: 154.07 P/PC 256-377-INTs 10 (La.Tech 4 or 5) Pass Compl. percentage 67.9 Yards 3084 TDs 26 Long 71 Av. game 280.4

Not bad for a junior qb with nearly all freshman receivers on a team in only its first full year in division I. But from looking at the other QBs on the list and their stats, WOW! There are some really good QBs in this league!

Eaglesrus
June 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
As soon as we figure out who our quarterback is, and THEN watch him play a few games, we'll let you know if we think he should be included.

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
McNeese QB Derrick Fourroux finished at #10 last year in efficiency as a Sophomore.

Hoyadestroya85
June 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
antwon young is a beast, he was leading the CAA in TD passes when he went down with the injury, and is very difficult to take down in the backfield.. he's a monster

jmuroller
June 2nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
As soon as we figure out who our quarterback is, and THEN watch him play a few games, we'll let you know if we think he should be included.

Welcome, Captain Obvious...

I kid, I kid....

BDKJMU
June 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
CAA South is LOADED at QB:
JMU- Rodney Landers- returning starter
UR- Eric Ward- has started last 2 seasons
Nova- Antwon Young-started last 1st half of season before going down with in injury.
W&M- Jake Phillips. 06' rotating starter, 07' full time starter.
Towson- Sean Schaeffer- started last 3 seasons
UD- Ohio St transfer.

All of the QBs with the exception of the Ohio St QB are proven with really good to excellent #s. I don't know if there has been a season before where the A-10/CAA South (or North for that matter) had that much QB experience and talent returning with only 1 new starter, a highly touted BCS transfer.

katstrapper
June 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
SLC has some good QB's.... Nathan Brown (UCA), Derrick Foroux (McNeese) and Rhett Bomar (SHSU)

After seeing Brown slice up SHSU defense twice, this kid can play. Foroux is one of those kids that just pisses you off when you watch him play because it always seems the defenders are one step away.

Bomar has been cleared by doctors. He did participate in spring drills, but was not allowed any contact nor did he play spring game. I think he is on track and will be ready for fall ball. They might keep him out the first two games, BUT if he is 100%, it will be hard to keep him off the field. The kid is a competitor. Here are is 2007 numbers before he go hurt...

Rushing
Gm Att yds avg td
9 87 406 4.7 7

Passing
Gm Comp Att Yds TD Ints YPG Eff%
9 172 291 2209 10 6 245.5 130.09

http://www.katfans.com/photos/2007-bomar.jpg

BEAR
June 3rd, 2008, 08:52 AM
It'll be good to see Bomar healthy again. I don't think UCA will be lucky again to see low scoring games as it did last year. Defense will have to step up and show vast improvements over last year. Bomar won't be throwing for just 2000 yards again this year. I see 3000 and 500 rushing. Kids too talented. xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
June 3rd, 2008, 08:54 AM
SLC has some good QB's.... Nathan Brown (UCA), Derrick Foroux (McNeese) and Rhett Bomar (SHSU)

After seeing Brown slice up SHSU defense twice, this kid can play. Foroux is one of those kids that just pisses you off when you watch him play because it always seems the defenders are one step away.

Bomar has been cleared by doctors. He did participate in spring drills, but was not allowed any contact nor did he play spring game. I think he is on track and will be ready for fall ball. They might keep him out the first two games, BUT if he is 100%, it will be hard to keep him off the field. The kid is a competitor. Here are is 2007 numbers before he go hurt...

Rushing
Gm Att yds avg td
9 87 406 4.7 7

Passing
Gm Comp Att Yds TD Ints YPG Eff%
9 172 291 2209 10 6 245.5 130.09

http://www.katfans.com/photos/2007-bomar.jpg

How's he paying for his doctor bills? Part-time job? :Dxrotatehx:D

Hoyadestroya85
June 3rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Even if Antwon Young Goes down again with an injury we still have a very solid backup in Chris Whitney..
Young has a stronger arm, but Whitney is more Mobile.. Whitney is gonna be a stud, Young already is one

BDKJMU
June 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Even if Antwon Young Goes down again with an injury we still have a very solid backup in Chris Whitney..
Young has a stronger arm, but Whitney is more Mobile.. Whitney is gonna be a stud, Young already is one

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx I thought it was the other way around?

ncbears
June 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM

Liam Coen, UMASS
Scott Riddle, Elon

Look for NoCo QB Brian Waggener. He's a transfer from UF Gators. He was one of the highest ranked JC QB's in the nation, some say THE highest ranked.

katstrapper
June 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
How's he paying for his doctor bills? Part-time job? :Dxrotatehx:D

Just couldnt resist huh?xnonox xlolx

UCABear, I hope you are right because that will mean that the OL has gelled and are good. We have to replace 3 starters this year on OL, but thankfully we had depth so I think we will be ok. The only position I am really concerned about is who is going to replace First Team All-Conference LT Brandon Hale? Thats the million dollar question.