PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Pro Day News and Notes

Josh
April 11th, 2005, 11:26 PM
INTERESTING WAR ROOM TIDBITS:
there is at least one team that has TENNESSEE TECH senior offensive tackle FRANK OMIYALE rated among the Top-10 tackles in the draft.

PRO DAY RESULTS:
MAINE senior safety BRANDON MCGOWAN ran between 4.45 and 4.48 in the 40... 4.24 short shuttle... 7.42 three-cone... 37.5" vertical... 10'4" broad jump... also did 21 reps of 225 pounds... weighed in at 5107, 216 pounds... they had several senior prospects, but this was the one guy that stood out consistently on game film... ran faster than anticipated... showed good all-around athleticism in the workout and positional drills... all times were recorded on an outdoor turf surface.

PRIVATE VISIT & WORKOUT UPDATES:
GEORIGA SOUTHERN senior running back/return man CHAZ WILLIAMS had several private workouts throughout last week... ran 4.50 in the 40 on grass (damp/wet) for both New England and NY Giants (April 5th)... then caught balls from a jugs machine... then ran 4.46/4.47 in the 40 on grass (dry) for Green Bay (April 6th)... also caught balls for them once again showing very good hands... not as thickly built as Leon Johnson (NYJ, SD), but could develop into that kind of guy in terms of giving you a back that can catch, return and grab a few change-of-pace carries.

polsongrizz
April 12th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks for keeping up Swami.

Josh
April 12th, 2005, 07:23 AM
No problem.

Anovafan
April 12th, 2005, 09:11 AM
In his pro day for the Eagles last week, Ray Ventrone (senior safety for Nova) ran a 4.37 and 4.41, benched 225lbs. 27 times. This after coming back from a broken ankle suffered this past season. The Eagles scouts were actually disappointed he worked out so well, worrying that his results will put him into the 5th or 6th round of the draft. They were hoping to steal another local product in the late rounds, or even as a preferred free-agent. If anyone here has seen Ray play, they know that this kid can make an NFL squad based on his special teams play alone, he is an amazing hitter. I just wish the NCAA had granted him a 5th year of eligibility after he missed over a season when you factor in his season ending knee injury his freshman year (6th game of the year) and his season ending ankle injury his senior season (4th game of the year). So much for the kinder, gentler NCAA they claim they have become. Good luck Ray.

Josh
April 12th, 2005, 09:49 AM
In his pro day for the Eagles last week, Ray Ventrone (senior safety for Nova) ran a 4.37 and 4.41, benched 225lbs. 27 times. This after coming back from a broken ankle suffered this past season. The Eagles scouts were actually disappointed he worked out so well, worrying that his results will put him into the 5th or 6th round of the draft. They were hoping to steal another local product in the late rounds, or even as a preferred free-agent. If anyone here has seen Ray play, they know that this kid can make an NFL squad based on his special teams play alone, he is an amazing hitter. I just wish the NCAA had granted him a 5th year of eligibility after he missed over a season when you factor in his season ending knee injury his freshman year (6th game of the year) and his season ending ankle injury his senior season (4th game of the year). So much for the kinder, gentler NCAA they claim they have become. Good luck Ray.

He is a good player for sure. But he will not get drafted. Here is an example of why a grade does not prove you get drafted in that round. The Panthers drafted a QB from Stanford a couple years ago in the 4th round and said they gave him a 2nd round grade. So if the Eagles give him a 5th round grade they might actually want to draft him in the 7th round. So if he has a 7th round grade by most he probably won't get drafted. Most of the time over 300 players are given a draft grade. Only 255 get drafted. I think he would have gotten drafted had he played this year. He is a free agent signing I think. I do wish him well and if he did get drafted I would be happy for him but his chances at getting picked are very slim.

polsongrizz
April 12th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Swami are most if not all of the Pro days coming to a close??

Josh
April 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Yes they are done at this point. Only private workouts are left. After those workouts then comes the draft.

Anovafan
April 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM
He is a good player for sure. But he will not get drafted. Here is an example of why a grade does not prove you get drafted in that round. The Panthers drafted a QB from Stanford a couple years ago in the 4th round and said they gave him a 2nd round grade. So if the Eagles give him a 5th round grade they might actually want to draft him in the 7th round. So if he has a 7th round grade by most he probably won't get drafted. Most of the time over 300 players are given a draft grade. Only 255 get drafted. I think he would have gotten drafted had he played this year. He is a free agent signing I think. I do wish him well and if he did get drafted I would be happy for him but his chances at getting picked are very slim.

I understand the rationate, I was just conveying what I have heard directly from pro scouts (in addition to just the Eagles scouts). The Eagles concern was that Ray would now be on the radar screen for other NFL teams. They did want to sign him as a free agent, but now they may draft him to ensure they get him. My gut says he will get drafted, we can revisit this in a few weeks after the draft.