PDA

View Full Version : Rankings are not Polls

Syntax Error
June 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Just a thought as we see various polls and rankings come out. Rankings are done by one person or one computer system. Polls are done by many people voting. AGS does a poll, Lindys and other magazines do a ranking. An index like the GPI combines many inputs. TSN does a poll of many inputs, the coaches have a poll too.

Just thinking aloud here.

Keeper
June 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
GPI = Hybrid = ecologically green = user friendly.

Note: I believe Phil Steele has current FCS Power Ratings
on his website. He has NDSU #1.

On second look, this is Steele's final 07 ratings. Worth a look anyway.

Eyes of Old Main
June 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
I agree with the differences in your definitions of polls and rankings. Both have merit in some circumstances, but polls are going to be generally more accurate due to the diversity of votes. That's the only thorn in the side of the AGS poll. Since the voters are chosen by post count, the poll could be skewed by homers for a school with more fans. I don't think that's been a big problem so far, but it is a possibility.

As for the other comments about AGS being a football board, that may be true on the surface, but I would say that it is a community of football fans who come together to discuss their love of FCS football, other sports and other interests. Just becasue you disagree with someone doesn't make them a troll. If that's the case, then we are all trolls since I don't give a crap about carbon credits, Al Gore, the Clintons or Obama and others don't care about personal responsibility, individual sovereignty, smaller government and financial opportunity.

I-AA Fan
June 1st, 2008, 05:46 PM
but polls are going to be generally more accurate due to the diversity of votes.

Accurate to what ...the opinions of the people casting votes in one poll vs. another? Properly done rankings are the ONLY possible accurate list.

Eyes of Old Main
June 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Accurate to what ...the opinions of the people casting votes in one poll vs. another? Properly done rankings are the ONLY possible accurate list.

Accurate from a statistical standpoint because the sampling size is larger so there are more checks on individual biases, etc.

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
What's Pete's Weekly Power Poll? ;)

SteelCurtain
June 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM
I prefer the polls combined with the computer rankings. There are a few out there that I enjoy. They use strength of schedule as part of that.

james_lawfirm
June 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM

Properly done? So, you are saying that one person's properly done guess is better than 150 properly done guesses? I don't think so. Statistics being what they are.

This is rather easily proved. And, I would be SHOCKED if you are correct. Just somebody with too much time on their hands before football season begins look up and compare the 2007 (or any given year's) AGS preseason poll & compare it to any given ranking (Lindy's?) you wish. Then, look at the final EOY results. Any takers?

McNeese72
June 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM

Misnamed. Been telling people for years that it was a ranking and not a poll. Even told the guy when he posted a link to it here in the past.

Doc

JayJ79
June 1st, 2008, 10:41 PM
That's the only thorn in the side of the AGS poll. Since the voters are chosen by post count, the poll could be skewed by homers for a school with more fans.

The poll can be skewed by homers for a school with more fans regardless of the requisite post count. If there wasn't that requirement, then there would just be more votes from people who might not put as much thought into it (not that a person necessarily puts more thought into it just because they've been a frequent poster. but anyway)

JayJ79
June 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM
Properly done? So, you are saying that one person's properly done guess is better than 150 properly done guesses? I don't think so. Statistics being what they are.

but a poll is generally a mix of properly done guesses, and some not-so-properly-done guesses.

SoCon48
June 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Accurate from a statistical standpoint because the sampling size is larger so there are more checks on individual biases, etc.

Just because someone doesn't have a bias doesn't mean they know anything about the topic.

Syntax Error
June 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
That's the only thorn in the side of the AGS poll. Since the voters are chosen by post count, the poll could be skewed by homers for a school with more fans. I don't think that's been a big problem so far, but it is a possibility.I think that is why they have a committee that moderates the poll. The other polls would be smart if they did the same thing.

I-AA Fan
June 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM

A ranking. It will not be out until after week 1 of fall camp.