PDA

View Full Version : Keys to success in '08

appstate38
May 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Since we are all looking for things to discuss, I figured this would be as good as anything else. Looking at your favorite team, what do you believe will be the key to having a successful year?

For me and the Apps I believe the O-line will be the biggest key. If that group can gel early then we will be just as deadly on offense. Which will take alot of pressure off the D.

Maroon&White
May 30th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Looking at your favorite team, what do you believe will be the key to having a successful year?

For UMass; punter, kicker, long-snapper, middle of the OL (LG, C, RG).

CID1990
May 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
The Citadel: In a word, DBs.

If they come together, we're in the playoffs.

McNeese75
May 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
For McNeese is will probably be the defense. IMO

SideLine Shooter
May 30th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Since we are all looking for things to discuss, I figured this would be as good as anything else. Looking at your favorite team, what do you believe will be the key to having a successful year?

For me and the Apps I believe the O-line will be the biggest key. If that group can gel early then we will be just as deadly on offense. Which will take alot of pressure off the D.

I think APP has several keys to success. O-line, DB's, and staying healthy. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

zilla
May 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Three things for Coastal:

(1.) We need a QB that is mobile & can complete 50% or more of his passes (didn't have that in '07).

(2.) We need a go-to WR to replace Jerome Simpson.

(3.) We need some bulk at defensive tackle.

CCU can be very competitive if we get these three things. The Chants return nine starters on offense and nine on defense. We'll see. xthumbsupx

MaximumBobcat
May 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
for Tx St, it is pass coverage, we need to not get behind early and then chew up time with our running game.

crusader11
May 30th, 2008, 11:05 PM
For Holy Cross: Protecting Dominic Randolph...if he goes down, so does the season.

ericsaid
May 30th, 2008, 11:45 PM

DB's DB's DB's DB's DB's DB's

bonarae
May 31st, 2008, 02:51 AM
1) Answer the question of who will start at RB because we have Ho's competitor, Gino Gordon, showing himself in the spring game;
2) the LB's;
3) and the wide receivers.

OL probably will be.

skinny_uncle
May 31st, 2008, 07:48 AM
SIU just needs a new QB, new wide receivers.................

xwhistlex

PapaBear
May 31st, 2008, 07:57 AM
It will be all about the offense.

First and foremost, Maine must settle on a QB. Both guys showed signs of greatness and signs of ineptitude last year. (Same goes for OC Kevin Bourgoin, who was in his first year in that job.) That's not unexpected, given that they were both very young. But the jitters should be long gone. They both have enough game experience to run a productive offense. Pick one and let's move on, guys.

Second, Bourgoin must gameplan an offense that is more diverse and less predictable. Last year, it got to the point where 90% of the people in the stands could call our first three plays of every series:

First down: inside zone handoff to Fluellen for three yards.
Second down: If Brusko is in = QB Power for four yards. If Farkes is in, another inside zone handoff to Fluellen for three yards.
Third down: Screen pass to Fluellen for no gain.

We'll come into the season with our first 1000-yard rusher (Fluellen) in several years, so the running game has its foundation. But we can't run a dozen screen passes per game and expect to generate passing yards. We need to throw the ball downfield. Both QBs proved they can do it, and we have at least two experienced WRs to throw to. Neither one of our WRs is what I'd consider a DB-frightening-gamebreaker. But they definitely can get open deep.

TE will be an issue, but there are enough big skill guys on the offense to replace Matt Mulligan, who has signed a 2yr FA contract with the Dolphins. Also, 2-year starting OG Jake Serdy left the team, so that's a key hole to fill. But overall, there's enough talent and experience on offense to move the chains and score points. No excuses this year.

This ends today's armchair analysis.

katstrapper
May 31st, 2008, 09:16 AM
Well for the Bearkats....

1. Replacing 3 starters on OL will be a task, but we have depth. Key will be if they gel.

2. Will Bomar be 100% healthy after season ending knee surgery last year? Will we have a capable backup

3. Secondary.. We have the horses, will they come together as a unit.

This team will enter the season on a 5 game winning streak continued from last year, 3 of which were on the road. My gut is this team could be a sleeper this year to win conference and get into playoffs.

asu70
May 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
DB's DB's DB's DB's DB's DB's

We have one corner and one safety that are talented but unproven so this to me is the biggest concern. The o-line has a lot of talent and experience and will be one of the best in FCS in my opinion. To me this is the most talented team I've ever seen at App in my 42 years of watching Mountaineer football...but that doesn't mean that we will have a championship year but a very good chance in my opinion.

TheValleyRaider
May 31st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Colgate:

Offense
-Emergence of a 2nd WR. We have Simonds, who should be a solid #1, but we need a #2 to take some pressure off of him and help the QB to spread the ball around the field

-Continued development from QB Relph
He was okay last year. Managed to move the offense fairly well, but threw far too many interceptions. Improving the decision-making avoids incidents like the pick returned for a TD against Cornell (which turned out to be the winning score) or the 2 late picks against Holy Cross (wins in either or both games would have put us in the playoffs)

Defense
-Someone to replace Pat Nolan
Everyone is looking at the loss of Gallihugh in the LB corps, but Nolan was a beast up front, and you need D-Line strength to help take the pressure off the rest of the defense

SiouxFallsJack
May 31st, 2008, 09:57 AM
I believe the play of our offensive line and defensive backfield will be key for our success. Both were hit hard by graduation this past year. If the offensive line comes together and plays well, our offense should continue to improve. We lost an experienced defensive backfield last year. The replacements for this year have more talent and I hope that makes up for the lack of experience.

seantaylor
May 31st, 2008, 03:38 PM
For GSU, QB play. We probably have as much speed as anyone in the country at the skill positions.

blackfordpu
May 31st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Well for the Bearkats....

1. Replacing 3 starters on OL will be a task, but we have depth. Key will be if they gel.

2. Will Bomar be 100% healthy after season ending knee surgery last year? Will we have a capable backup

3. Secondary.. We have the horses, will they come together as a unit.

This team will enter the season on a 5 game winning streak continued from last year, 3 of which were on the road. My gut is this team could be a sleeper this year to win conference and get into playoffs.

I think that the O-line is the most important thing this season. We have been spoiled for the last four years with a very solid O-line and we lost three starters this year.

DB's will do their thing. We have some young guys that now have a years worth of experience under their belt and have something to build on.

Bomar should be healthy by conference play, the question is who will lead us until then to try and get/keep this team on a roll?

JALMOND
May 31st, 2008, 08:21 PM
Portland State is simple...If the new Glanville recruits can step in and play and Howland and/or Hubel are the next Lomax we'll do well. Really what is a plus this year is the conference schedule (both Eastern Washington and Montana coming to Portland). Whether that makes a difference or not I don't know. We'll see.

DFW HOYA
May 31st, 2008, 08:23 PM
A tie score heading into the second quarter. Georgetown was outscored 125-24 in the first quarter last season.

ngineer
May 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Key for Lehigh wil be the offensive line. While QB is still a question mark, I think all three contenders are good enough to manage the offense IF they get enough time and our excellent running backs get some daylight.

blueballs
June 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
For GSU, QB play and the offensive line with four new starters. We probably have as much speed as anyone in the country at the skill positions.

To add to your thought...

Tribe4SF
June 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
For W&M it is definitely the defense. With 19 of the top 22 returning, as well as former starting safety Kevin Allen, and a strong group of redshirts, things should be better. Allen (pictured below) can be a difference maker as he brings the tools to play opposite David Caldwell in the Tribe's new 3-3-5 setup.

CopperCat
June 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
#1 Getting the new QB into the system and knowing it COLD
#2 Developing offensive consistency, especially at WR
#3 O-Line providing ample time for plays to develop properly
#4 SPECIAL TEAMS - GET RID OF STUPID PENALTIES AND BLOCKED KICKS

Husky Alum
June 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
For Northeastern...

1. Replacing Mo Murray in the backfield, he was our work horse.
2. Not letting a killer early season schedule kill the season.
3. Finding someone to catch the ball besides Brian Mandeville.
4. Our defensive backfield.

X-Factor
June 1st, 2008, 11:21 PM
For NDSU our only concerns are Left Tackle and QB. Our other positions are locked in with experienced players. At QB we are hoping Nick Mertens ('04 Minnesota Associated Press POY) will pick up where Steve Walker left off. Nick is now a 4th year Junior so he has been in the system a while now. He doesn't have much college experience, only appearing in 3 games going 10/14 144yds 1TD/0INT. Left Tackle is currently at a three way tie for the starting nod so who knows what will happen by fall. It will probably come down to who busts their ass the most over the summer.