PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Buck Buchanan Award Candidates

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
There was a thread for the Payton Award but it seems people are forgetting the Buck Buchanan Award. Who are some candidates for 2008?

Just a few names to start the thread off:

LB Bobby Daly, Montana State
LB Jason Williams, WIU
S Lardarius Webb, Nicholls State

Let's hear nominations.

NSUSPARTAN
May 30th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Terrell Whitehead, Norfolk State

leatherneck177
May 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Jason Williams, WIU

A great candidate that has been spectacular the past couple of seasons.

grizband
May 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Colt Anderson, Montana

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Jason Williams, WIU

A great candidate that has been spectacular the past couple of seasons.

I have heard he runs in the 4.54 40 range. Man that is flying! xthumbsupx

813Jag
May 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Since this will probably be a name a guy from your team thread. I'll say Vincent Lands, DE from Southern, if the Jags have a season similar to last year he'll be a big reason.

PhantomCAT
May 30th, 2008, 10:59 AM
My votes would go to Bobby Daly. Not just because I'd be being a HOMER. This kid flat out plays football. He is always RIGHT THERE when the ball is handed off. He makes plays sideline to sideline. He is a great student of the game and in the classroom. He's been making these same plays since he became a starter his freshmen year. He is the only under classmen in 2007 to be a finalist for the Buck!

xthumbsupx BOBBY DALY xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Here is the updated list. Who else?

DE Vincent Lands, Southern
LB Jason Williams, WIU
S Terrell Whitehead, Norfolk State
S Colt Anderson, Montana

Umass74
May 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Sean Smalls (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smalls_sean00.html) senior CB from UMass.

First team All-CAA in '07. Several sports writers have picked him pre-season CAA Defensive POY.

FargoBison
May 30th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Ramon Humber. Lead the team in tackles two years ago and was second last year. This will be his third season at starter and he is very athletic. I believe he ran a 4.4 40 prior to his freshman year and the guy has some major ups...

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper860/stills/209boou0.jpg

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
LB Jason Williams, WIU
LB Ramon Humber, NDSU
CB Sean Smalls, UMASS
S Colt Anderson, Montana

Maroon&White
May 30th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Sean Smalls (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smalls_sean00.html) senior CB from UMass.

First team All-CAA in '07. Several sports writers have picked him pre-season CAA Defensive POY.

I think either Smalls or Jennings will be on the list come the end of the season.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 30th, 2008, 01:32 PM
This is the list of preseason All-Americans from Consensus Draft Services. Not a bad place to start when making a list of Buck Buchanan nominees. Several names already mentioned on this thread are included in the list below:

DE Robert Brown, Wagner, 6'1", 240
DE Greg Peach, Eastern Washington, 6'2", 256
DT Anthony Williams, Appalachian State, 6'1", 285 (Jr.)
DT Mark Huygens, Northern Iowa, 6'6", 277
LB Bobby Daly, Montana State, 6'0", 225
LB Rechard Johnson, Alabama State, 5'11", 190 (RS So.)
LB Quintin Phillips, Western Carolina, 6'2", 240
LB Tim Turner, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 6'2", 220
CB Ladarius Webb, Nicholls State, 6'0", 185
CB David Hyland, Morehead State, 6'1", 190
FS Colt Anderson, Montana, 5'10", 190
SS Marcus Haywood, James Madison, 6'0", 190

I-AA Fan
May 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Here is the updated list. Who else?

LB Jason Williams, WIU
S Colt Anderson, Montana

Mychal Savage = Youngstown. Quality product.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Mychal Savage = Youngstown. Quality product.

Savage is a good one. He, Mark Huygens, and UC Davis DT John Faletoese are probably as good or better than Anthony Williams of ASU. I won't be surprised at all to see Faletoese get drafted next year.

I-AA Fan
May 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Savage is a good one. He, Mark Huygens, and UC Davis DT John Faletoese are probably as good or better than Anthony Williams of ASU. I won't be surprised at all to see Faletoese get drafted next year.

I live in Columbus, after the Penguin vs Buckeye game last year, coach Tressel could not say enough about Savage. Said he was the best DT on the field that day. I had to respect that. He shut down Beanie Wells ...less than 40 yards for the game. Savage buried Wells on back to back attempts at the goal line. I think he could see the NFL if he has the same type of season in 2008, especially if he has another good game vs. OSU.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I live in Columbus, after the Penguin vs Buckeye game last year, coach Tressel could not say enough about Savage. Said he was the best DT on the field that day. I had to respect that. He shut down Beanie Wells ...less than 40 yards for the game. Savage buried Wells on back to back attempts at the goal line. I think he could see the NFL if he has the same type of season in 2008, especially if he has another good game vs. OSU.

He should get a shot as well. Faletoese is bigger and has been dominant when healthy. Savage is a little short at around 6'1 but his talent should get him in a camp for sure.

Mountaineer
May 30th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Random guy from Cal Poly. It's in the bag.

xsmiley_wix xrulesx

seantaylor
May 30th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Chris Covington Safety GSU

Cov is going to have a monster year.

Hoyadestroya85
May 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Tim Kukucka DE Villanova.. he's first team all CAA which might as well be all america this season

cats2506
May 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
My votes would go to Bobby Daly. Not just because I'd be being a HOMER. This kid flat out plays football. He is always RIGHT THERE when the ball is handed off. He makes plays sideline to sideline. He is a great student of the game and in the classroom. He's been making these same plays since he became a starter his freshmen year. He is the only under classmen in 2007 to be a finalist for the Buck!

xthumbsupx BOBBY DALY xthumbsupx

The thing about Daly is that nobody can block him, he is in on every play, and he does this playing on a strong defensive team.

ericsaid
May 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
D.J. Smith, could produce better then former NFL pro bowler Dexter Coakley did at App this season.

slostang
May 30th, 2008, 11:37 PM

xsmiley_wix xrulesx

#32 Mark Restelli.
Rover
Sr, 6'2" 225

2007 - Led team in tackles with 73.

2006 – Started 10 of the 11 games as a sophomore at rover … recorded 57 tackles (30 solo) with 7.0 tackles for lost yardage and 2.5 sacks … notched 3.5 tackles for lost yardage, including two sacks, in the Montana game, finishing with seven tackles … season-high 10 tackles against San Jose State and nine more against North Dakota State … also returned an interception 42 yards for a touchdown with 2:22 to play, clinching 17-0 win against Weber State … nine pass breakups and five quarterback hurries for the season … four pass breakups against UC Davis and three quarterback hurries against South Dakota State … Great West player of the week following Weber State game.

2005 -- Started 12 of the 13 games at rover and was third on the team with 83 total tackles ... 42 solo tackles, including five against Troy, Northern Colorado and Montana ... career-high 12 tackles against Northern Colorado and Texas State games ... two tackles for lost yardage in playoff game at Montana ... intercepted a pass in Southern Utah game ... three pass breakups, including pair against South Dakota State.

2004 -- Redshirt ... played in 2005 Spring Game and recorded two tackles, including a sack, and a pass breakup.

High School -- Under head coach Mike Jacot at Santa Margarita High, recorded 71 tackles (29 solo) as a strong safety with two forced fumbles, three interceptions and a team-leading eight pass breakups ... also was a wide receiver, catching nine passes for 144 yards and a touchdown with a long of 67 yards ... earned first-team All-Serra League honors as a defensive back ... team awards in 2003 include hitman of the year and a four-time player of the game award ... as a junior was named varsity rookie of the year and a three-time player of the game honoree ... Eagles' defensive secondary gave up just three passing touchdowns in 2002 and 2003 with Restelli in the backfield ... played in Orange County North/South All-Star Game ... also lettered in track and field in 2004, earning team MVP honors.

Personal -- Son of Tom and Diane Restelli ... two brothers, Matt and Paul ... lists snowboarding, reptiles and muscle cars as hobbies ... member of Scissor Me Xercies Club and Salacious Crumb ... born March 4, 1986, in Houston, TX ... majors in agricultural business.

GOKATS
May 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM
The thing about Daly is that nobody can block him, he is in on every play, and he does this playing on a strong defensive team.

That's why he's All American and a top candidate for the Buchanan Award.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xnodx

Jerbearasu
May 31st, 2008, 01:50 AM

xsmiley_wix xrulesx

I want to claim West Coast bias on this award... Cal Poly guys, then Kroy and now the front runner is Daly??? Sorry just west coast guys always claim there is an east coast bias.

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2008, 09:57 AM
D.J. Smith, could produce better then former NFL pro bowler Dexter Coakley did at App this season.

Dexter finished his career with 616 total tackles, 37 double figure tackle games, and 7 games of 20 tackles or more. He also earned 2 Buck Buchanan Awards and went to 3 Pro Bowls.

Coakley had 165 tackles as a junior and 166 as a senior. That is lofty expectations. A lot can happen as well. He had 159 tackles in 1993 and ASU did not go nearly as far in the playoffs as they did this past year. Still, Smith didn't come close to Coakley's 159 tackles with 121 last year as a freshman.

While he looks to have the talent to be great I don't understand why some people are so quick to make him out to be better than Dexter? As you can see he has a long way to go. Maybe you should wait until he wins his 1st Buck Buchanan Award and has over 160 tackles in one year before you make those comparisons.

I think anyone who saw him play would tell you he was one of the top defensive players in FCS/I-AA history.

ngineer
May 31st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Tim Diamond Sr. LB Lehigh and Andy Romans Sr. LB Lafayette

Skjellyfetti
May 31st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Still, Smith didn't come close to Coakley's 159 tackles with 121 last year as a freshman.

He didn't start until about halfway through the season.

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2008, 10:45 AM
He didn't start until about halfway through the season.

In 1993, Coakley's freshman year, ASU didn't even make the playoffs and went 4-7. Smith's freshman year ASU went to the title game thus giving Smith 4 more games than Coakley had.

In 11 games Coakley had 159 tackles and Smith had 121 tackles in 15 games. If Coakley had played 15 games he was on pace to have about 217 tackles (96 more than Smith).

Remember that Coakley was about 5'10, 200 when he got on campus and 218 as a senior. That is even more impressive due to his lack of physical tools.

Skjellyfetti
May 31st, 2008, 10:57 AM
In 1993, Coakley's freshman year, ASU didn't even make the playoffs. Smith's freshman year ASU went to the title game thus giving Smith 4 more games than Coakley had total.

In 11 games Coakley had 159 tackles and Smith had 121 tackles in 15 total games. If Coakley had played 15 games he was on pace to have about 217 tackles (96 more than Smith).

Yeah, you have a point. I'm not saying he's going to be better, just that he has the potential of Dexter Coakley. Also, I'm having a hard time remembering when he got his first start. Citadel game, maybe? (someone want to jump in and answer this?)

I'm pretty sure, however, the D.J. did not see significant playing time in 11 games last year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you have a point. I'm not saying he's going to be better, just that he has the potential of Dexter Coakley. Also, I'm having a hard time remembering when he got his first start. Citadel game, maybe? (someone want to jump in and answer this?)

I'm pretty sure, however, the D.J. did not see significant playing time in 11 games last year.

Right now Coakley is probably the best defensive player in FCS history. DJ has potential to be great but potential just means you haven't done it yet. Coakley is great, meaning he has already done it.

One thing about Coakley's career is that he played with the likes of Joe DiBernardo and Brent David. Both of them were great players and made it even more impressive he put up his numbers. It shows Coakley was not by himself on those teams putting up numbers as some great players on other teams have.

Did you see Coakley play? Did you see him live or on TV? What year did you start watching ASU games?

slostang
May 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM
I want to claim West Coast bias on this award... Cal Poly guys, then Kroy and now the front runner is Daly??? Sorry just west coast guys always claim there is an east coast bias.

The last five are from the west coast.

2003 - Jared Allen - Idaho Staten (Vikings)
2004 - Jordan Beck - Cal Poly (Broncos)
2005 - Chris Gocong - Cal Poly (Eagles)
2006 - Kyle Shotwell - Cal Poly (Colts)
2007 - Kroy Beirman - Montana (Falcons)

They are are under an NFL contract. Allen is a pro bowler and Gocong is starting for the Eagles. I would say they are deserving.

GOKATS
May 31st, 2008, 06:49 PM
The last five are from the west coast.

2003 - Jared Allen - Idaho Staten (Vikings)
2004 - Jordan Beck - Cal Poly (Broncos)
2005 - Chris Gocong - Cal Poly (Eagles)
2006 - Kyle Shotwell - Cal Poly (Colts)
2007 - Kroy Beirman - Montana (Falcons)

They are are under an NFL contract. Allen is a pro bowler and Gocong is starting for the Eagles. I would say they are deserving.

And Bobby Daly makes six! xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
May 31st, 2008, 09:51 PM
And Bobby Daly makes six! xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Now, I'd much rather see Daly win it than any guy from any other school (Outside of Missoula), but you guys are jumping the gun by a mile here. Just because the guy had the most votes out of Juniors last year does not mean he's a shoo-in. He still has to play the season, and last time I checked, they didn't award the Buchanan to the player with the biggest preseason hype.

But, in all fairness, if Colt Anderson (our biggest chance for another Buchanan) doesn't post the Buchanan-like numbers this season, I'll root for Daly in a heartbeat. xnodx

GOKATS
May 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

Now, I'd much rather see Daly win it than any guy from any other school (Outside of Missoula), but you guys are jumping the gun by a mile here. Just because the guy had the most votes out of Juniors last year does not mean he's a shoo-in. He still has to play the season, and last time I checked, they didn't award the Buchanan to the player with the biggest preseason hype.

But, in all fairness, if Colt Anderson (our biggest chance for another Buchanan) doesn't post the Buchanan-like numbers this season, I'll root for Daly in a heartbeat. xnodx

It's pre-season dUMbo! Of course Cat fans are going to push Bobby Daly! Barring injury, he's definitely a top contender. Kroy deserved it last year, but Anderson won't even be in the running.xpeacex

ericsaid
May 31st, 2008, 10:33 PM
Dexter finished his career with 616 total tackles, 37 double figure tackle games, and 7 games of 20 tackles or more. He also earned 2 Buck Buchanan Awards and went to 3 Pro Bowls.

Coakley had 165 tackles as a junior and 166 as a senior. That is lofty expectations. A lot can happen as well. He had 159 tackles in 1993 and ASU did not go nearly as far in the playoffs as they did this past year. Still, Smith didn't come close to Coakley's 159 tackles with 121 last year as a freshman.

While he looks to have the talent to be great I don't understand why some people are so quick to make him out to be better than Dexter? As you can see he has a long way to go. Maybe you should wait until he wins his 1st Buck Buchanan Award and has over 160 tackles in one year before you make those comparisons.

I think anyone who saw him play would tell you he was one of the top defensive players in FCS/I-AA history.

D.J. smith also didn't start but 9 games and saw limited playing time in the games before that. So you never know really, but i'd say its a good bet to see similar production, maybe not as often but he will be a great player this year

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM
D.J. smith also didn't start but 9 games and saw limited playing time in the games before that. So you never know really, but i'd say its a good bet to see similar production, maybe not as often but he will be a great player this year

I never said he wouldn't be great. Just wanted to point out that DJ Smith is not quite at his level yet.

Remember that Coakley wasn't only a two-time Buck Buchanan winner but a three-time 1st team All-American and has the school record with 616 total tackles. The only reason Coakley did not receive the national pub that Smith has at this point was due to not playing on a national stage in the playoffs. Yet he still went on to earn SoCon Freshman of the Year honors, something DJ Smith did not do last year.

How many games have you seen Dexter Coakley play? Did you see him live? How long have you been watching ASU games?

And so you know I am not picking on you or have anything against you. Just want to prove my point and show this theory I have that those who are hyping Smith as the next Dexter in terms of numbers and ability haven't actually seen Coakley for four years.

Ask Shawn Elliott, Scott Satterfield, John Wylie, and 3-time National Coach of the Year Jerry Moore how they would compare the two and I am sure they would tell you that Coakley was the best defender they have seen in a ASU uniform to date.

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
It's pre-season dUMbo! Of course Cat fans are going to push Bobby Daly! Barring injury, he's definitely a top contender. Kroy deserved it last year, but Anderson won't even be in the running.xpeacex

Team success is always taken into account and I'm not sure Montana State is going to do well due to the APR issues from the previous coaching staff. While Daly is going to be a candidate and you guys should push him, it is going to be an uphill battle for him to actually walk away with the award.

CopperCat
May 31st, 2008, 11:09 PM
Team success is always taken into account and I'm not sure Montana State is going to do well due to the APR issues from the previous coaching staff. While Daly is going to be a candidate and you guys should push him, it is going to be an uphill battle for him to actually walk away with the award.

xrolleyesx
Maybe you should have read up on Coach Ash a bit more. If he heard you say something like that he would probably smile to himself knowing that he has the situation under control. Everybody slamming MSU for all this crap THAT ISN'T EVEN THE FAULT OF THE CURRENT COACHING STAFF is getting pretty damn old. Daly will be a front runner for the award, no doubt. But the thing that everybody should get through their thick friggin' skulls is that Coach Ash specifically said in his initial interviews is that he intends to fix the academic issues FIRST, and that the football aspect comes second.

Can we please just leave this crap alone now? Good god.xnonono2x

uofmman1122
May 31st, 2008, 11:10 PM
It's pre-season dUMbo! Of course Cat fans are going to push Bobby Daly! Barring injury, he's definitely a top contender. Kroy deserved it last year, but Anderson won't even be in the running.xpeacexAll it takes is one big year. He definitely has the skills to pull it off, he just needs the numbers. We shall see, though...we shall see. xthumbsupx

Also,

xrolleyesx
Maybe you should have read up on Coach Ash a bit more. If he heard you say something like that he would probably smile to himself knowing that he has the situation under control. Everybody slamming MSU for all this crap THAT ISN'T EVEN THE FAULT OF THE CURRENT COACHING STAFF is getting pretty damn old. Daly will be a front runner for the award, no doubt. But the thing that everybody should get through their thick friggin' skulls is that Coach Ash specifically said in his initial interviews is that he intends to fix the academic issues FIRST, and that the football aspect comes second.

Can we please just leave this crap alone now? Good god.xnonono2xxoutofrepx

GOKATS
May 31st, 2008, 11:22 PM

My bad. xconfusedx I actually thought you had better knowledge of the FCS than you apparently do.xwhistlex

Yes, there were/are APR issues, but the 'Cats will be in the top three in the Big Sky this year.xnodx And I call BS on the team success part, if Daly puts up his regular numbers or better he's at the top of the list.

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2008, 11:25 PM
xrolleyesx

Can we please just leave this crap alone now? Good god.xnonono2x

My point was just that the team is not expected to be a playoff type team and that the coach is probably still cleaning up a little. Hopefully you guys are good to go this year and I wish Daly the best. Just pointing out that I think he has a bit of a hill to climb to win the award. I wish him the best though. xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2008, 11:30 PM
My bad. xconfusedx I actually thought you had better knowledge of the FCS than you apparently do.xwhistlex

Yes, there were/are APR issues, but the 'Cats will be in the top three in the Big Sky this year.xnodx And I call BS on the team success part, if Daly puts up his regular numbers or better he's at the top of the list.

I hope to see MSU in the playoffs. We will see how things shake out. I'm just not ready to give him the award before the season is played. If he wins the award it will be due to him earning it this year and not because of any preseason hype. All this preseason talk is forgotten once August and September gets here. xthumbsupx

GOKATS
May 31st, 2008, 11:46 PM
I hope to see MSU in the playoffs. We will see how things shake out. I'm just not ready to give him the award before the season is played. If he wins the award it will be due to him earning it this year and not because of any preseason hype. All this preseason talk is forgotten once August and September gets here. xthumbsupx

Seriously with our schedule, unless the Cats win the conference, or at least go 7-1 BSC , I don't see any playoff opportunities.

As far as preseason hype, hell ya!! I voted last week, but in reality it's just p!ssing in the wind until the season starts.xnodx xnodx

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2008, 11:59 PM
Seriously with our schedule, unless the Cats win the conference, or at least go 7-1 BSC , I don't see any playoff opportunities.

As far as preseason hype, hell ya!! I voted last week, but in reality it's just p!ssing in the wind until the season starts.xnodx xnodx

It is good to see fans passionate about their players. I'm glad to see it. We just can't lose site that hyping a player on AGS or other boards won't get him the award. Although with all the TSN voters who vote here the visibility doesn't hurt either... xthumbsupx

I gave you rep points for your last post as well. :)

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
I think this thread might have gotten lost so I wanted to reply again.

To you guys hyping Smith. Still waiting to hear how long you have been watching FCS football and see if you ever saw Coakley play? I would like to verify my theory on this. xthumbsupx

GOKATS
June 1st, 2008, 09:44 PM

To you guys hyping Smith. Still waiting to hear how long you have been watching FCS football and see if you ever saw Coakley play? I would like to verify my theory on this. xthumbsupx

I didn't get lost, but one more chance to say "Bobby Daly". xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 10:23 PM
I didn't get lost, but one more chance to say "Bobby Daly". xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

No not you... Just waiting to hear if my theory on the argument me and the others were having is correct. :D

I did hear something interesting though. Did you know Bobby Daly might be a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award? xsmiley_wix

GOKATS
June 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
No not you... Just waiting to hear if my theory on the argument me and the others were having is correct. :D

I did hear something interesting though. Did you know Bobby Daly might be a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award? xsmiley_wix

No *****!!? Bobby Daly?? (name recognition xnodx xnodx ).

:D xsmiley_wix

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
No *****!!? Bobby Daly?? (name recognition xnodx xnodx ).

:D xsmiley_wix

Yeah I hear he might be a pretty good player. xthumbsupx

For those of you Bobcat fans who feel strongly about him.

I have seen him and I know he isn't quite big enough for LB in the NFL but seems like he might be fast enough to play SS.

Please post your analysis of him. What makes him special to your team? What are his best attributes? You guys see him a lot more than the rest of us so tell everyone what makes him special to you guys.

Green26
June 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Bobby Daly is a very good player and has had a very good career. However, he can be taken out of games, as he was in the UM v. MSU game last fall. In my view, Montana's Colt Anderson, a safety, is a better, more consistent and more valuable player. Anderson may also be a better pro prospect.

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Bobby Daly is a very good player and has had a very good career. However, he can be taken out of games, as he was in the UM v. MSU game last fall. In my view, Montana's Colt Anderson, a safety, is a better, more consistent and more valuable player. Anderson may also be a better pro prospect.

I think Daly is going to be a player that one or two teams fall in love with. He is too small for LB in the NFL and I heard only ran a 4.7 for scouts but he has the body of a strong safety and knows how to make plays. The word is the Denver Broncos scout who went through liked him.

AZGrizFan
June 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Kinda surprised Bobby Daly hasn't been mentioned on this thread. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

GOKATS
June 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Kinda surprised Bobby Daly hasn't been mentioned on this thread. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Who?

:D

AZGrizFan
June 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM
Who?

:D

He's a decent ballplayer from out in the flatlands who I though you guys might be pumpin' this year....Oh well. Just a thought. xreadx xreadx xreadx xeyebrowx ;)

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM

Coakley was a 4.3 40 type where Smith is probably a 4.5 or 4.6 type. I think speed will be the difference when we compare these guys down the line and Coakley will remain the best FCS defender of all-time.

cats2506
June 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM

Yeah, they really took Daly out of that game, he only had 14 tackles. Nothing like Biermann, he had a whopping grand total of 1 tackle in that game.

cats2506
June 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM

No kidding! But you started the thread and it has no purpose besides preseason hype and speculation, so what did you expect.

CrunchGriz
June 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, they really took Daly out of that game, he only had 14 tackles. Nothing like Biermann, he had a whopping grand total of 1 tackle in that game.

He may have had only one tackle against MSU, but that one tackle probably won him the Buck.

It was the most spectacular defensive play I saw last year, at any level. You just don't see defensive ends run down wide receivers 40 yards down field, especially after they've gotten within a whisker of tackling the QB before he unloads the pass. (...and yeah, I know, the MSU receiver had cut back toward the middle of the field, but still....)

That singular play had to have stuck in voters' minds.

Not to take anything away from Daly, who is a great player in his own right.

And you know as well as I do that defensive linemen rarely have the tackle totals of linebackers, so that's not exactly a metric that has any meaning. I could claim Daly's much lower sack totals than Kroy last year indicates Kroy's superiority, and be just as wrong-headed as your statement, but why? They played different positions, with different measures of success.

The play of which I speak is at 5:02 of this YouTube vid:
Montana/Montana State Game - 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvINfVI37k&feature=related)

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
No kidding! But you started the thread and it has no purpose besides preseason hype and speculation, so what did you expect.

True. Just thought we would open up dialogue about candidates. Just seemed like some people are expecting a player to get the award based on their junior year. I would like to see Daly win and hopefully he has the type of season that gets him the award.

Of course we are here to speculate! I do think people are overlooking Lardarius Webb and Jason Williams. Both should be right up there with Daly as preseason favorites. My prediction is that someone not in that group of Daly, Webb, and Williams will win the award.

smallcollegefbfan
June 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
He may have had only one tackle against MSU, but that one tackle probably won him the Buck.

It was the most spectacular defensive play I saw last year, at any level. You just don't see defensive ends run down wide receivers 40 yards down field, especially after they've gotten within a whisker of tackling the QB before he unloads the pass. (...and yeah, I know, the MSU receiver had cut back toward the middle of the field, but still....)

And you know as well as I do that defensive linemen rarely have the tackle totals of linebackers, so that's not exactly a metric that has any meaning. I could claim Daly's much lower sack totals than Kroy last year indicates Kroy's superiority, and be just as wrong-headed as your statement, but why? They played different positions, with different measures of success.

Montana/Montana State Game - 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvINfVI37k&feature=related)

Plays like that are amazing. He should be a good one in the pros! xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
June 3rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Montana/Montana State Game - 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvINfVI37k&feature=related)Good lord!

I'm glad I was at that game and didn't have to watch it...

That MSU commentator explaining the replay makes me want to bash my head into my desk.

"It was an unbelievable-Uh buh-you think you got a fo-buh- a foot race with your...wide receiver and-uh buh-their defensive end, you've gotta have a smile on your face until that happens!"

lolwut!?

Edit: Not to say that the Griz Commentators on TV do any better, unfortunately...

Also, watch your boy Bobby Daly tackle a whole lot of air as Lex jumps over him, here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBosrQ5ShIg&feature=related) xlolxxthumbsupx
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBosrQ5ShIg&feature=related)

FCS Go!
June 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Also, watch your boy Bobby Daly tackle a whole lot of air as Lex jumps over him, here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBosrQ5ShIg&feature=related) xlolxxthumbsupx

I bet Daly wishes he had a do-over for that one!

Best of luck to him this year, EAG (Except Against the Griz).xhurrayx

cats2506
June 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM

It was a good play by Kroy I agree, but the point numbnuts was making was that the griz had shut Daly down that day. I think 14 tackles shows that he couldnt be consistently blocked by the griz either. On the other hand Peder did a dam good job against Kroy in holding him to the one tackle. Yes the positions are different and will have different stats but I think you get the point.

cats2506
June 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Good lord!

I'm glad I was at that game and didn't have to watch it...

That MSU commentator explaining the replay makes me want to bash my head into my desk.

"It was an unbelievable-Uh buh-you think you got a fo-buh- a foot race with your...wide receiver and-uh buh-their defensive end, you've gotta have a smile on your face until that happens!"

lolwut!?

Edit: Not to say that the Griz Commentators on TV do any better, unfortunately...

Those arnt our regular comentators, I thought they were griz comentators. Our regulars arnt much better though.

uofmman1122
June 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
It was a good play by Kroy I agree, but the point numbnuts was making was that the griz had shut Daly down that day. I think 14 tackles shows that he couldnt be consistently blocked by the griz either. On the other hand Peder did a dam good job against Kroy in holding him to the one tackle. Yes the positions are different and will have different stats but I think you get the point.Blocked by who? Daly had 14 tackles (11 solo, 3 assisted), but only one for a loss, which was also a sack, which would mean 13 of 14 tackles were made after the Griz played had gained yards. xreadx

I wouldn't say Daly was "shut down" in any way, but he wasn't nearly a dominant factor in the game, what-so-ever.

APPALACHIANstate
June 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Money...

cats2506
June 3rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Blocked by who? Daly had 14 tackles (11 solo, 3 assisted), but only one for a loss, which was also a sack, which would mean 13 of 14 tackles were made after the Griz played had gained yards. xreadx

I wouldn't say Daly was "shut down" in any way, but he wasn't nearly a dominant factor in the game, what-so-ever.

Thats all I was saying.

the original post I responded to is below

uofmman1122
June 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Thats all I was saying.

the original post I responded to is belowOkay....

But you still said,

I think 14 tackles shows that he couldnt be consistently blocked by the griz either.which is what I was responding to.

SteelCurtain
June 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
I bet Daly wishes he had a do-over for that one!

Best of luck to him this year, EAG (Except Against the Griz).xhurrayx

Quit the love fest....Here at NDSU we absolutely hate UND I wouldn't wish them success even if my own son played there...

I thought Montana/Montana St. was a big rival...I guess I was wrong..

ursus arctos horribilis
June 3rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
Quit the love fest....Here at NDSU we absolutely hate UND I wouldn't wish them success even if my own son played there...

You're probably getting pretty used to that.

uofmman1122
June 3rd, 2008, 11:36 PM

I thought Montana/Montana St. was a big rival...I guess I was wrong..Congrats on being a spiteful asshole.

I hate the Cats, and I wish nothing more than to see the Griz kick the snot out of them unmercifully every year, and I feel like my own child has been murdered when we lose to them. We've got a bitter rivalry, but we know that we're all Montanans, and when the Cats don't play the Griz, I want to see them stuff the living crap out of any other team.

Oh well, I guess that's just the difference between North Dakota and Montana.xrolleyesx

cats2506
June 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Okay....

But you still said,
which is what I was responding to.

Understood, as I said earlier in the thread the thing that makes Daly an exceptional player is that he is difficult to block. My thinking is that in order to "take him out of a game" you are going to have to block him consistently. In my opinion that did not happen in the Cat/griz game and he was able to shed blockers and get 14 tackles. His average for the season was 12.45 so I would infer that he personaly had a better than average game in that catagory. If the griz had held him to 8 or 10 tackles I would have to agree that they were able to block him consistently, but they didn't.

bluehenbillk
June 4th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Matt Marcorelle DE/LB Delaware

Maybe the best defender in the CAA this year.

cats2506
June 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Hey, I hate the griz as much as anybody, but seeing a montana (state of) boy like Kroy win the BB is great for the state.

uofmman1122
June 5th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Understood, as I said earlier in the thread the thing that makes Daly an exceptional player is that he is difficult to block. My thinking is that in order to "take him out of a game" you are going to have to block him consistently. In my opinion that did not happen in the Cat/griz game and he was able to shed blockers and get 14 tackles. His average for the season was 12.45 so I would infer that he personaly had a better than average game in that catagory. If the griz had held him to 8 or 10 tackles I would have to agree that they were able to block him consistently, but they didn't.Did you even read my first post?
Blocked by who? Daly had 14 tackles (11 solo, 3 assisted), but only one for a loss, which was also a sack, which would mean 13 of 14 tackles were made after the Griz played had gained yards.I really can't understand why you're bringing up blocking as if it has anything to do with his tackle numbers. Daly is not a DE or DT, he is not going to be trying to maneuver around a blocker on every play. A defensive lineman that has 14 tackles is clearly not being blocked well enough. A linebacker that had 46 rushing plays against him and 22 pass completions, giving him 68 chances to tackle the ball carrier? 14 tackles seems about right. Will Claggett had 10 tackles. Does that mean he was shedding blockers and making plays? No, it just means he was the guy to finally bring down the ball carrier.

Daly had a sack, which is very impressive, but I still don't see how you correlate his 14 tackles with "Shedding blockers and making plays," especially when the Griz ran all over the MSU defense.

Grizalltheway
June 5th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Hey, I hate the griz as much as anybody, but seeing a montana (state of) boy like Kroy win the BB is great for the state.

Something we can agree on. I hope he has a great season and manages to win the BB. He went to the same high school as me, and I always root for my fellow Bruins, no matter what school they go to. xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
June 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Congrats on being a spiteful asshole.

I hate the Cats, and I wish nothing more than to see the Griz kick the snot out of them unmercifully every year, and I feel like my own child has been murdered when we lose to them. We've got a bitter rivalry, but we know that we're all Montanans, and when the Cats don't play the Griz, I want to see them stuff the living crap out of any other team.

Oh well, I guess that's just the difference between North Dakota and Montana.xrolleyesx

xthumbsupx Good post. I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual until the last game of the regular season.