PDA

View Full Version : What is the 2008 SoCon game of the year?

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 29th, 2008, 06:24 PM
From where we are sitting right now what is the SoCon game of the year? I know the race can turn out not looking like anything we suspected in the middle of the season but we do this with FCS games so why not with SoCon games, too?

Jerbearasu
May 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I can't believe that I just voted for App vs Elon but they look to be at the top of the conference next year. Now I will say that I am more looking forward to FU and GSU from a rivalry standpoint. Just a few years back Elon was at the bottom of the conference so it is hard for me to think of them as a contender but they have really put something together over there.

PTW16
May 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I think everyone is overlooking what looks to be a pretty good and definitely scrappy team from The Citadel... That's a team that went 7-4 last year and their fourth loss was to Jayson Foster (I'm sorry, Georgia Southern didn't beat El Cid... Jayson Foster did).

EmeryZach
May 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I put something not listed, because you never know what is going to happen and a game between two bad teams could end up being some triple overtime amazing game.

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I voted ASU vs. Elon. Simply because it could be a battle for first and second. I personally am looking forward to the GSU game (revenge, and there is no other team I'd rather beat). However, that Cullowhee High vs. Samford game should be amazing :).

Watch it end up being a game like you discussed, EZ.

T-Dog
May 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Who knows. I'm not even sure what the game of the year last year was as there was so many good ones.

Right now Elon/ASU looks to be the best bet for the Conference Title battle IMO. But you can't count out the "Big 3" games (App @ GaSo, GaSo @ FU, FU @ App).

But as of pre-season predictions and title implications, Elon @ App looks to be the safest bet as it's with only two weeks to go in the season (Nov 15th) and I've seen Elon up there the most with App in SoCon predictions.

And to think, in 2005 when I went to Elon for the App/Elon game, there was 6K-7K fans there, and at least 5K of them were App fans and they filled up the visitors side so I had to sit on the grass next to the stands. It was the last week of the season and App had already clinched the SoCon title and autobid (if we'd loss it would have been a split title with Furman, thankfully that didn't happen) and Elon was dead last in the conference, winning all of two games that year. By the end of the game (52-14 App after a last-second TD by Elon) all the Elon fans were gone minus five guys who had "NKANG" written on their chests. Everyone else was either gone or waiting for the teams outside the locker rooms minus all the App fans. App was selling SoCon championship merch behind the concession stands on mobile carts and fans made sure to pick that stuff up. It was sad watching Elon be so poor. I remember a fight broke out at the end as the Elon players got frustrated and I thought Elon was going to be the next VMI of the SoCon. The only good thing was that they had a nice stadium.

I'm kind of glad for them that they got better, but now they're a threat and we must destroy them.....then they'll go back to having just a nice stadium.

ericsaid
May 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I voted for App and The Citadel just because I know they didn't enjoy Armanti showing off in Charleston running for 291 yards, and they changed their defense so that one intrigues me.

HiHiYikas
May 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I thought this was a no-brainer, then I saw that my selection wasn't on the list.

App vs. Wofford.

Last year's conference champions facing off on national TV.

How does this poll entirely ignore one of last year's conference champions, anyway?

Eyes of Old Main
May 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I thought this was a no-brainer, then I saw that my selection wasn't on the list.

App vs. Wofford.

How does this poll entirely ignore one of last year's conference champions, anyway?

Shhhh! You know we like to play the underdog. Little old Wofford doesn't stand a chance against anyone next season. We'll probably lose to Samford. You guys can suit up your fourth team and still win by 40. xwhistlex

Eyes of Old Main
May 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Based off the choices presented, I'll say App/GSU. I just think Elon is going to have trouble wearing the target on their backs.

ASUMountaineer
May 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Based off the choices presented, I'll say App/GSU. I just think Elon is going to have trouble wearing the target on their backs.

I almost voted ASU/ GSU, but GSU not having Foster...I am hoping...makes this game an easier win. He was unstoppable for us last year. So I voted Elon, Riddle is going to be setting some passing records.

CID1990
May 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM
The Citadel vs. Elon.

This game will be for the outright second place in the conference.

I don't think there is going to be a legitimate challenge to ASU in the conference this year.

SoCon48
May 30th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Then, go DOGS!

Biff
May 30th, 2008, 06:38 AM
The Citadel vs. Elon.

This game will be for the outright second place in the conference.

I don't think there is going to be a legitimate challenge to ASU in the conference this year.

I agree. Seeing how our defense and there will match up against the Elon's QB/WR and seeing how Blanchard and Roberts dish it back out will be interesting.

OL FU
May 30th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Furman vs (the) Citadel

The oldest SoCon rivalry reconstitutedxnodx xthumbsupx

or for the benefit of citdog, reconstructed.:D

89Hen
May 30th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I'm still not 100% sold on Elon. GSU winning at App last year makes me pick the return trip this year. By the time App-Elon happens, it may already be a non-factor.

CharlestonAppFan
May 30th, 2008, 09:03 AM

xnodx xnodx They didn't handle the pressure at the end of the season last year when they could have won the SoCon xsmhx what makes people think they can this year? Not saying that they couldn't....

I almost voted ASU/ GSU, but GSU not having Foster...I am hoping...makes this game an easier win. He was unstoppable for us last year. So I voted Elon, Riddle is going to be setting some passing records.

GSU didn't use Foster against us in 2006 either when we beat them in a very close game xeyebrowx in Statesboro. I voted ASU/GSU because I think Hatcher has these guys back in order xbawlingx They will make some noise this year (except against Furman :D )

Rekdiver
May 30th, 2008, 09:13 AM
El Cid vs. Elon. I gotta believe that this game will decide a berth in the FCS for one of these teams. GSU and App ought to have the other two.
Citadel is the sleeper of the bunch and people aren't paying attention to the quiet improvement there. Elon is the darling of many but I see a bit of a drop off from last year even though the coaching staff is building a very good program there.

PTW16
May 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Furman vs (the) Citadel

The oldest SoCon rivalry reconstitutedxnodx xthumbsupx

or for the benefit of citdog, reconstructed.:D

And after last year's amazing game, Reconstruction Never Felt So Good!

AppStFan76
May 30th, 2008, 09:27 AM

App vs. Wofford.

Beat me to it!xthumbsupx

ElonPride
May 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM
xnodx xnodx They didn't handle the pressure at the end of the season last year when they could have won the SoCon xsmhx what makes people think they can this year? Not saying that they couldn't....

GSU didn't use Foster against us in 2006 either when we beat them in a very close game xeyebrowx in Statesboro. I voted ASU/GSU because I think Hatcher has these guys back in order xbawlingx They will make some noise this year (except against Furman :D )

The offense handled the pressure well, but the defense couldn't get it done! Injuries and youth were the main culprit. I sure as heck don't know how you score 49 points in regulation and lose a game.......and have a QB pass for over 500 yards and lose the game. You're right though, if Elon would've won 1 of the last 2 conference games, the title would've been wrapped up!

89Hen
May 30th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I sure as heck don't know how you score 49 points in regulation and lose a game.......
Ask Navy. xsmiley_wix

blueballs
May 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
GSU hosts Elon and Wofford in September, then travels to Chattanooga the first week of October. If GSU wins all three of those games, which will be difficult but definitely not impossible, then ASU at GSU 10/18 is the no-brainer pick because the winner will have what amounts to a two game lead in the conference pecking order.

Failing the aligning of the stars outlined above, I'd go with ASU/Elon because I think Elon is going to be pretty darned good this year- definitely a playoff contender.

T-Dog
May 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Ask Navy. xsmiley_wix

At least it's better than scoring 35 points against the two-time defending champion and your main rival, the highest point total you have scored against them since 1983 and second highest in the history of the rivalry....and you lose by 44.

AppAlum2003
May 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I voted for ASU v. GSU because if the poll ends up in my favor, I can use it as evidence to convince my wife that we need to drive down to Statesboro for the game! Wish me luck!

Eaglesrus
May 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I voted for ASU v. GSU because if the poll ends up in my favor, I can use it as evidence to convince my wife that we need to drive down to Statesboro for the game! Wish me luck!

Good luck, and come on down!

SoCon48
May 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM
The offense handled the pressure well, but the defense couldn't get it done! Injuries and youth were the main culprit. I sure as heck don't know how you score 49 points in regulation and lose a game.......and have a QB pass for over 500 yards and lose the game. You're right though, if Elon would've won 1 of the last 2 conference games, the title would've been wrapped up!

Problem was it was time to venture away from the friendly confines of Rhodes and to in to SC to meet your maker. It's happened to the best.

CID1990
May 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Better take your GPS and don't get lost. Thar's boogers in the woods down thar.

ElonPride
May 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Problem was it was time to venture away from the friendly confines of Rhodes and to in to SC to meet your maker. It's happened to the best.

The biggest game we won last year was away from Rhodes and in SC......Wofford!!
I'm not sure why the team couldn't pull out the game at Furman, and Higgins just has Lembo's number.

2 straight years playing at El Cid straight up SUCKS!

citdog
May 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM
The biggest game we won last year was away from Rhodes and in SC......Wofford!!
I'm not sure why the team couldn't pull out the game at Furman, and Higgins just has Lembo's number.

2 straight years playing at El Cid straight up SUCKS!

WHY? WE BEAT YOU BY 5TD'S AT YOUR PLACE THE LAST TIME!

ElonPride
May 30th, 2008, 01:30 PM
WHY? WE BEAT YOU BY 5TD'S AT YOUR PLACE THE LAST TIME!

Acutally, it was more than 5 TDs.....but who's counting xwhistlex

HiHiYikas
May 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Shhhh! You know we like to play the underdog. Little old Wofford doesn't stand a chance against anyone next season. We'll probably lose to Samford. You guys can suit up your fourth team and still win by 40. xwhistlex
Oh whatever...

So you've got a team that's won two conference titles in about ten years of playing in the SoCon, multiple playoff appearances, a trip to the semifinals, an Eddie Robinson award, more conference wins that just about anybody, wins over Montana and ASU last season

...or you've got "little old Wofford, the underdog."

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

xlolx

Seriously, how is this team not on the poll?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
As the ignorant CAA fan, I chose Elon vs. Furman. I think these two teams might be vying for the third possible seat at the table for the playoffs. Furman will be better and I am not convinced Elon can handle being in the top half of the conference yet.

App St. I expect to win the conference this year. From a preseason point of view, it's hard to see them in the MUST SEE SoCon game of the year unless another team run the table in the SoCon - very unlikely.

So I think this game intrigues me the most. Winner will probably have an inside track to the playoffs, loser might be left out. It's also on the eve of my 30th birthday. Old age, here I come!!!!!!

Furman v. Wofford is 2nd on my list, for similar reasons and it is the last game of the year.

gophoenix
May 30th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I vote The Citadel vs Elon. Lembo has failed to beat Higgins yet. And these two teams will have the two best QB/WR setups in the conference. And I have a feeling that that will be the fight for something more meaningful this time.

For those that think we're wearing a target, why more than anyone else in the conference? To be honest, I see Western playing a bigger role in the conference next year and Samford playing spoiler too. And I don't see how playing with a target changes the game any really. So the other teams may be a bit more pumped.... but we're pumped too, so it'll offset. They'll just be a bunch of good games where we win some and lose some.

elcid96
June 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
I vote The Citadel vs Elon. Lembo has failed to beat Higgins yet. And these two teams will have the two best QB/WR setups in the conference. And I have a feeling that that will be the fight for something more meaningful this time.

For those that think we're wearing a target, why more than anyone else in the conference? To be honest, I see Western playing a bigger role in the conference next year and Samford playing spoiler too. And I don't see how playing with a target changes the game any really. So the other teams may be a bit more pumped.... but we're pumped too, so it'll offset. They'll just be a bunch of good games where we win some and lose some.

The Citadel vs Elon game should be a great one. Lots of points and a real showdown between two good QB/WR combo's. Mark your calendar for Oct 11, 2008. Should be a great crowd (Parents Day = 17-18K Fans)

89Hen
June 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
As the ignorant CAA fan
So you're the one. :( :p

CID1990
June 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
The Citadel vs Elon game should be a great one. Lots of points and a real showdown between two good QB/WR combo's. Mark your calendar for Oct 11, 2008. Should be a great crowd (Parents Day = 17-18K Fans)

Ah, young Pup!

Back in my day (not that long ago), Parent's Day was good for 19K-21K people. With last year's record and this year's promise, expect to see more butts in the seats than you are accustomed to.

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM

App vs. Wofford.

I concur, HiHi. That's the game I was looking for as well... xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

AppStateSVX
June 2nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
App and Wofford for sure

terrierbob
June 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
App and Wofford for sure

Ditto. But I really would like to have it both ways, Hi Hi.

appstate38
June 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
App and Wofford for sure

I am amazed how the App/Wofford game can get national billing, but can't rate for an option for game of the year.

BTW.... I voted App/Elon xrotatehx Sorry Terriers, I wasn't thinking!

HighRyder08
June 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM

App vs. Wofford.

i agree with you.... i looked over the list like twice to see if app-wofford was on there.... friday night on halloween is going to be insane!

SoCon48
June 2nd, 2008, 09:15 PM

When you have a target on your back, everyone is gunning for you. Much harder to get up for every game at the intensity the opponent is getting after you.

Samford as a spoiler? Yeah, I guess that's what you call the team that might win one game in the conference.

CID1990
June 2nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
When you have a target on your back, everyone is gunning for you. Much harder to get up for every game at the intensity the opponent is getting after you.

Samford as a spoiler? Yeah, I guess that's what you call the team that might win one game in the conference.

I see them winning three. One of those wins will be a big upset.