PDA

View Full Version : Greatest QB?

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Who is the greatest QB you ever saw play at your school and in your conference?

School: I had a touch decision for a Single year I chose Quincy Richard (had a great 2003 season) overall I chose Eric Randall (a great leader who lead Southern to a conference title in 1993).
Conference: I chose Steve McNair (I was too young to appreciate how good Willie Totten was at Mississippi Valley in the Jerry Rice days)

WrenFGun
May 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Well, at UNH, the clear answer is Ricky Santos. Frankly, Ricky Santos is/was the best QB in the CAA. I got see Bernard Marshall of Marshall last season, and he was impressive. I've seen Flacco, too, and he's got a cannon, but Santos/Toman outperformed him.

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Rich Gannon

patssle
May 29th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Josh McCown

He has been a starter in the NFL. How many other FCS schools can claim that honor? :)

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Josh McCown

He has been a starter in the NFL. How many other FCS schools can claim that honor? :)
Delaware, UNI, WIU, Alcorn State, Harvard... xsmiley_wix Both UD and UNI have had NFL MVP QB's.

HIU 93
May 29th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Delaware, UNI, WIU, Alcorn State, Harvard... xsmiley_wix Both UD and UNI have had NFL MVP QB's.

So has Alcorn.

blueballs
May 29th, 2008, 12:52 PM
At GSU the obvious answer is 2007 College Football Hall of Fame inductee Tracy Ham, but Jayson Foster won the Walter Payton Award in 2007, Raymond Gross (2 NC's including a 15-0-0 year, 48-9 as a starter) and Greg Hill (1999 SoCon POTY, 1999 NC, 37-6 as a starter, career 3k rushing and passing) were great too. However, Ham was in a class of his own and almost singlehanded set the standard by which both players and teams would come to be measured by.

Honorable mention goes to Chaz Williams (2002 SoCon POTY) and JR Revere (2000 NC)...

Grizalltheway
May 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Dave Dickenson. xbowx xbowx

patssle
May 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM

So thats 7 including Alcorn. Any more?

LBPop
May 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Rich Gannon

I would have guessed that Gannon would be your answer, but I have a question. It's difficult to ignore Gannon's success in the NFL, but based purely on play at Delaware, how would Flacco stack up against him? Of course they are very different in style of play, but I would be interested in your take.

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Also Grambling, Alabama State, and Florida A&M.

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I would have guessed that Gannon would be your answer, but I have a question. It's difficult to ignore Gannon's success in the NFL, but based purely on play at Delaware, how would Flacco stack up against him? Of course they are very different in style of play, but I would be interested in your take.
They are very close but as you would expect, Flacco was a better pure passer, but Gannon was magic on the field.

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
So has Alcorn.
I didn't realize McNair won an MVP. xthumbsupx xbowx

Looks like it was Warner, Gannon and McNair in consecutive years. :)

JmuSkinsfan
May 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM

I thought Tony Romo went to Eastern Illinois? I haven't seen them mentioned yet. Warner went to UNI right?

aust42
May 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM
They are very close but as you would expect, Flacco was a better pure passer, but Gannon was magic on the field.

Hard to directly compare the two due to the fact they were in two completely different offenses. I agree Flacco was the better pure passer and no doubt Gannon was "magic on the field". You always new that you had a chance with Gannon, he was a man amoungst boys out there talent wise. Gannon could single handedly win games for you.

AppAlum2003
May 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM
The debate in Boone will probably always be between #7 and #14... Richie Williams vs. Armanti Edwards. I'm still on the fence myself.

However, I'd have to say that Trey Elder will go down as the most beloved QB in school history. He accepted his role as backup during 3 NC seasons and spot started for both Williams and Edwards while hurt. NONE of these three NC's were possible without him.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Some recent QBs who come to mind that have not been mentioned are Giovanni Carmazzi of Hofstra, Jayson Foster of GSU, Drew Miller of Montana, Bruce Eugene of Grambling State, Erik Meyer of EWU, and Josh Johnson of San Diego.

blueballs
May 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM
The debate in Boone will probably always be between #7 and #14... Richie Williams vs. Armanti Edwards. I'm still on the fence myself.

However, I'd have to say that Trey Elder will go down as the most beloved QB in school history. He accepted his role as backup during 3 NC seasons and spot started for both Williams and Edwards while hurt. NONE of these three NC's were possible without him.

The story is still being written on Edwards... he might go down as the best EVER in the SoCon. From my GSU perspective I would take Edwards over Williams but obviously you ASU guys know your own players better than we do.

ITA about Elder... he was the epitome of a "program player" and a winner. He bailed you guys out a few times, most notably in the playoffs in 2005.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Based purely on numbers Edwards will surpass everyone at ASU but he has also played in a lot more games at this point in his career than Williams. One thing to remember is that Edwards has more talent than Williams had. Personally I would take Edwards because I feel he will end up in the same breath as Adrian Peterson as one of, if not the, top offensive player in the SoCon over the last 10 years. It would be scary to see Peterson and Edwards in the same backfield.

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Some recent QBs who come to mind that have not been mentioned are Steve McNair of Alcorn State, Giovanni Carmazzi of Hofstra, Richie Williams of App State, Jayson Foster of GSU, Drew Miller of Montana, Tony Romo of EIU, Bruce Eugene of Grambling State, Erik Meyer of EWU, Josh Johnson of San Diego, and someone I think will be among the best is Armanti Edwards of App State.
I mentioned McNair in my first post. He did amazing things with an average team around him. Eugene was a load at QB (literally) on of the best games I ever saw was the shootout at the 2003 Bayou Classic. Both QB's put on a show.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Just our own schools, right? In that case, Ryan Vena, Tom Parr, Steve Calabria, Chris Brown, Bob Relph, Guy Martin.

89Hen
I thought Tony Romo went to Eastern Illinois? I haven't seen them mentioned yet. Warner went to UNI right?
Correct on both. I think I may have said WIU in my first post thinking of Romo.

smallcollegefbfan
I mentioned McNair in my first post. He did amazing things with an average team around him. Eugene was a load at QB (literally) on of the best games I ever saw was the shootout at the 2003 Bayou Classic. Both QB's put on a show.

I edited him out. Your post was not up there when I started writing mine but when i went back and read I saw you posted just before me. Sorry for the double mention there... :)

Aho_Old_Guy
May 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Did Chad Pennington not play a few I-AA seasons for Marshall ???

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I edited him out. Your post was not up there when I started writing mine but when i went back and read I saw you posted just before me. Sorry for the double mention there... :)
No problem, I have enough headaches from watching him make plays, it's a shame he didn't have better talent around him.

GeauxLions94
May 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM
So thats 7 including Alcorn. Any more?

Don't forget Doug Williams, Grambling

As for Southeastern ... best that I seen us produce has been Martin Hankins (for first two years before he went to Memphis). A product of the Mumme system, but still pretty good. Robbie Mahfouz was pretty good in the early 80's after transferring from LSU and later playing in the USFL.

Best that I've seen in person from the Southland Conference (have only seen since 2003 season)... toss-up between Dustin Long (SHSU) and Nathan Brown (Central Arkansas)

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM

I believe he played one. He was another name I thought about but they have been FBS for a while so I didn't mention. If you are including Marshall then you have to throw Eric Kresser in there. Kresser was a TSN All-American and a former Florida transfer.

Some more names to consider would be Brian Ah Yat of Montana and Northern Arizona's Travis Brown. Brown was a TSN 3rd team All-American as a freshman.

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM
FAMU had a great trio: Pat Bonner, JaJuan Sider, and Quinn Gray

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM

I saw Gray and Sider in college. Didn't remember watching Bonner in college but I do remember his name. Didn't all of them play in the NFL?

grizband
May 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Chad played either the 1995 or 1996 season for Marshall as a replacement for the injured starter. I don't believe he played again until until his junior season, which would have placed him in the FBS for the remainder of his career.

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I saw Gray and Sider in college. Didn't remember watching Bonner in college but I do remember his name. Didn't all of them play in the NFL?
I know they all got shots at the NFL with Gray having the most success. Bonner was the first QB to play a full season in Billy Joe's version of a wide open offense.

neersnbeers
May 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hmmmm.. Tough one. When I first saw Richie in action I was like DAMN...But Edwards is something special too.
Not gonna make a choice. One candidate's history is still being written.

Hoyadestroya85
May 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Chris Boden/Brett Gordon.. Pick one

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Chris Boden/Brett Gordon.. Pick one

Tough choice. Off the top of my head I would say Gordon without looking at any stats or researching it. Could some posters who saw them both in person and followed their careers help on this one?

ericsaid
May 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I would say Appalachians best quarterback is Scott Satterfield considering he played QB for App and now he is the QB coach.

The best.

AppAlum2003
May 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Based purely on numbers Edwards will surpass everyone at ASU but he has also played in a lot more games at this point in his career than Williams. One thing to remember is that Edwards has more talent than Williams had. Personally I would take Edwards because I feel he will end up in the same breath as Adrian Peterson as one of, if not the, top offensive player in the SoCon over the last 10 years. It would be scary to see Peterson and Edwards in the same backfield.

I can't say I disagree. From a pure talent and athleticism standpoint, it's gotta be Edwards. However, Richie took us to our first NC and made plays with his arm that Armanti would have otherwise made with his feet. He'll always have a special place in ASU Athletics. Who knows... if Richie had 4 years in the spread, we might be talking about 5 or even 6 straight NC. (I know, way too boastful, but a girl can dream, right?)

Edwards has sure been phenomenal his first two years and I'm thankful that I have a chance to see him play every week. Barring any injury, he should be the greatest of all time. I'm just not ready to push the button on a decision yet.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I would say Appalachians best quarterback is Scott Satterfield considering he played QB for App and now he is the QB coach.

The best.

He was a solid player and a good coach but not sure anyone could say he was a better QB than Richie Williams and AE.

asu70
May 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Hmmmm.. Tough one. When I first saw Richie in action I was like DAMN...But Edwards is something special too.
Not gonna make a choice. One candidate's history is still being written.

Richie was special and AE is extra special...been watching App football since 1966 and barring injuries AE will be the best IMHO.

JagHammer
May 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Grambling as well...

McNeese_beat
May 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
For McNeese, the best QB was Kerry Joseph and Stephen Starring was the best from the triple option era. Best in the league? Does Terry Bradshaw count from the Louisiana Tech days? If not, I'd probably go McCown because of his run-pass ability.

GAD
May 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
All three of those names bring back nightmares; also do you remember Ottoman Sampson?

wapiti
May 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Travis Lulay of Montana State.
He did well in Europe and is now a 3rd string QB in the NFL.

blackcaesar3k5
May 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
The greatest quarterback in my opinion is Henderson Mosley of Central state university of ohio.. He played offensive system that was silimar to Indiannapoils Colts and Minnesota Vikings during Billy Joe..

Two of the best quarterbacks in MEAc was no other than Pat Bonner of FAMU and Jay Walker of Howard..

GAD
May 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Norman Gibbs, Terrance Levy, Nate Harrison, Quincy Richard where all greats but my pick would be Eric Randle.

McNair at Alcorn and Roland Jones at Alabama A&M

(I think Jones might still be running)

AppGrad06
May 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM

yea it would. They would be unstoppable.

GAD
May 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Norman Gibbs, Terrance Levy, Nate Harrison, Quincy Richard where all greats but my pick would be Eric Randle.

Forgot Stephen "Sam" George dude could lead a come back I don't care how many we where down by with you were still in the game
only 5' 7" too!

I understand he did the passing scenes as Jamie Foxxes body double in the Movie " Any Given Sunday"

Maroon&White
May 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Greg Landry was a decent QB.

AppGrad06
May 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
At least until seeing AE's numbers upon graduation, I'm going with good ole #7. What comes to my mind is watching Richie play in 3 different offensive styles successfully over my four years at ASU, though of course he was most successful in the spread.

CopperCat
May 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Travis Lulay at MSU without a doubt. I didn't see some of the other greats that played (WAY before I was around) but he certainly had the ability to change a game in one play. I do remember watching Rob Compson in the 90's and he was also a pretty solid QB. Still have to go with the Red Headed Houdini.xthumbsupx (soon to be the second string QB for the Saints!!!)

stevdock
May 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM
At NDSU this is up for debate over our recent QB, Steve Walker, and Chris Simdorn, who played from 87-90. The two unfortunately are mostly uncomparable since Simdorn has 3 NC's and Walker never got a chance to even play in one playoff game. I did not get to see Simdorn play a whole lot but he would do whatever it took to win a game, as was seen by winning 3 NC's in his 4 years. I believe the other year they made it to the semi-finals. Where as Walker's win-loss record was very comparable to Simdorn's, he never got a chance at the playoffs. The other reason it is hard to compare them is Simdorn was an option QB and Walker was a drop-back traditional QB.

blueballs
May 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM
All three of those names bring back nightmares; also do you remember Ottoman Sampson?

You bet I do! Sampson had over 500 yards and a handful of TD's against GSU in a losing effort in the 1997 playoffs.

GaSouthern
May 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Richie Williams (we won by about 50 points though xcoolx )
&
Jayson Foster

Gil Dobie
May 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
At NDSU this is up for debate over our recent QB, Steve Walker, and Chris Simdorn, who played from 87-90. The two unfortunately are mostly uncomparable since Simdorn has 3 NC's and Walker never got a chance to even play in one playoff game. I did not get to see Simdorn play a whole lot but he would do whatever it took to win a game, as was seen by winning 3 NC's in his 4 years. I believe the other year they made it to the semi-finals. Where as Walker's win-loss record was very comparable to Simdorn's, he never got a chance at the playoffs. The other reason it is hard to compare them is Simdorn was an option QB and Walker was a drop-back traditional QB.

I think Simdorn only won 2 NC's. I would go with Walker as the Drop-Back QB, and Jeff Bentrim, 3 NC's, 4 appearances, for the Option QB. Best one I saw on TV for another team was Ken O'Brien with UC Davis.

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Don't forget Doug Williams, Grambling

As for Southeastern ... best that I seen us produce has been Martin Hankins (for first two years before he went to Memphis). A product of the Mumme system, but still pretty good. Robbie Mahfouz was pretty good in the early 80's after transferring from LSU and later playing in the USFL.

Best that I've seen in person from the Southland Conference (have only seen since 2003 season)... toss-up between Dustin Long (SHSU) and Nathan Brown (Central Arkansas)

I played on the same flag football team with Robbie Mahfouz in Alexandria in the late 80's. He was looking to stay in shape, so he came out and played all of about one quarter as our QB. He got so disgusted with the route running that he quickly realized there was absolutely no benefit to him wasting his time trying to throw the ball to anybody. He switched to receiver and ended up playing just to have fun.

Nice guy...

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2008, 06:12 PM
For McNeese, the best QB was Kerry Joseph and Stephen Starring was the best from the triple option era. Best in the league? Does Terry Bradshaw count from the Louisiana Tech days? If not, I'd probably go McCown because of his run-pass ability.

Age old debate at McNeese, but I'd give Kerry the nod as best QB, ever; but then I'd have to call Stephen the best pure athlete I've ever seen in I-AA, regardless of position, ever. It's hard to argue with 4.26 in the 40, 13.6 in the 110 highs, 26 feet in the long jump and 50 plus in the triple jump, plus head to head victories over Olympic TJ champ Al Joyner and...and.....AND outsprinting Darryl Green's angle to the endzone on a long td keeper ;) Those broken field runs of his under pressure were nothing short of beautiful. Not bad for a guy who was only 5'10." We didn't really run a triple option back then. It was smash mouth for the most part, with a lot of toss/sweep packages to Buford Jordan. There were a couple of plays with an option off the end, but since we never got out of the plain ole I formation, the pitch relationship wasn't conducive to an option ;)

Bradshaw was in the old Gulf States Conference. I don't know that he actually played in the SLC, but I could be wrong. Bobby Hebert was at Northwestern, but - he too - was still in the GSC when he was there.

Bubby Brister, from Northeast wasn't too shabby and then there's Craig Nall from Northwestern.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Seen a lot of Princeton in the past 50 years, so I'll take a stab on their behalf (though they ran the Single Wing until 1969):

Bob Holly, Jason Garrett, Doug Butler, Ron Beible, Ron Landeck, Rod Plummer

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Call me biased, but I have yet to see a SoCon quarterback who is better than Tracy Ham was. It's hard to beat 3,000+ yards passing and 2,000+ yards rushing in one season, even in a season with 15 games. Yes, he is even better than Richie Williams was. Interpret that as a sincere, very high-level compliment to Ham.

Henny
May 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Rich Gannon's play was very similar to Santos. Both had a knack for where the pressure was coming from, get away, scramble and either pass or run for a sucessful play.

Gannon had to in those days. UD's scholarship policy was much like the patriot league and didn't have the horses up front. Without Rich, alot of those games would have been L's in the mid 80's.

RadMann
May 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM

It was also 4 out of 5 years (Warner twice, Gannon and McNair).

Gannon was the best at UD, and I've seen all three UD QBs who went on to become NFL starters. Flacco is second behind Gannon, although as mentioned they had completely different styles. Flacco could become the fourth UD QB to start in the NFL. The other three all started at least a season.

mrklean
May 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Tracy Ham and Jayson Foster

RadMann
May 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Grambling as well...

I thought Doug Williams won the Super Bowl MVP. I did not think he ever won the NFL season MVP award as Warner, Gannon and McNair did.

Demon Fan
May 29th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Although some of his records have been surpassed by other Demon QBs, I believe that former N.O. Saint and Atlanta Falcon QB Bobby Hebert was the best from Norhwestern State.

JohnStOnge
May 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
and...and.....AND outsprinting Darryl Green's angle to the endzone on a long td keeper ;)

FPC, I was at that game and admit I don't remember that play. But c'mon man. Stephen Starring was not as fast as Darrell Green. If what you say happened on that play happened, Green must've been hobbled.

If Stephen Starring had been as fast as Green he'd have owned a string of Southland Conference 100 meters championships. He'd have clearly been by far the fastest 100 meters sprinter McNeese had at the time and would've been running in that event. In fact he'd have been the fastest 100 meters sprinter in McNeese history. And Green was running in the 4.2s in the 40 at 38 years old.

Dude, he was not as fast as Darrell Green.

Syntax Error
May 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Russ Michna

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Russ Michna

What I remember most about him was how he performed well against LSU and of course was one of the best QBs of his senior season. Anyone know if he is still playing pro ball?

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I can't forget him. xnonono2x

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM

I won't ever forget that game, that fullback dive killed us.

Ronbo
May 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
1995 Dave Dickenson. Best I-AA QB season in history. Payton winner. National Championship.

In 15 games.

Passing

431 for 624, 68.9%, 5676 yards, 11 int, 51 TD's.

Rushing

381 yards, 7 TD's

Grizo406
May 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Dave Dickenson. xbowx xbowx

Agree completely!!!xthumbsupx

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM
FPC, I was at that game and admit I don't remember that play. But c'mon man. Stephen Starring was not as fast as Darrell Green. If what you say happened on that play happened, Green must've been hobbled.

If Stephen Starring had been as fast as Green he'd have owned a string of Southland Conference 100 meters championships. He'd have clearly been by far the fastest 100 meters sprinter McNeese had at the time and would've been running in that event. In fact he'd have been the fastest 100 meters sprinter in McNeese history. And Green was running in the 4.2s in the 40 at 38 years old.

Dude, he was not as fast as Darrell Green.

John, you're flat out wrong on a few points. First: The fastest sprinter we had at the time was Verril Young, who had a best of 10.12 AND a string of SLC 100 meter dash titles. Stephen had a string of titles of his own, in three events. It would have been pointless to run him in the 100, though he did have a 100 best of 10.3, if I recall correctly. Zem has alluded to this in the past on GC.

I'm not going to get into a full fledged track and field discussion with you, because - as you know - I'd probably end up writing a dissertation on the finer points of sprinting and hurdling, but when Stephen would win three individual events at a track meet: the 110's, the long jump, triple jump PLUS a leg on the sprint relay, you don't necessarily pigeonhole him in the 100. However, Stephen did run a couple of 100/110 doubles as I recall. And, it's not as though he were simply just winning against a bunch of donkeys. He was beating an Olympic Gold Medallist on a routine and regular basis.

Second: You're attempting to correllate 100 times from starting blocks to what somebody can do from a flying start. They're quite simply not the same. Speed is speed, but some people start well and others don't. Hurdlers are NOTORIOUSLY the world's worst starters. There are more false start in a hurdles race than any other and the good ones, including Stephen, are disciplined to stay in the blocks and avoid trying to beat the gun. Take Stephen's 10.3, train him for the 100, and - in particular - fiddle with his start, and I think you have him right there with Green stride for stride. Remember that a hurdler's start is designed differently than a 100 meter guy's. The hurdler start is designed to get the hurdler to the first obstacle in seven steps or less so that he can attack the hurdle with his lead leg. While raw statistics are great, I believe it's helpful to have an understanding of what, exactly, goes into those stats before you start extrapolating conclusions based on what you see ;) No offense, but I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not convinced that you know enough about track and field to make the sort of assumptions that you're making based on what you saw on the NFL's Fastest Man competition.

The other thing is Stephen was the starting QB on the football team, going through spring practices, and then training for the hurdles with is time intensive with regard to technique practice, as well as the jumps, which are also time intensive with regard to working on technique and despite juggling all this, was turning in world class peformances in three individual events. I've said this on more than one occasion: Take Stephen out of football and let him concentrate on ONE event and he ends up with a Gold Medal. I really don't even care which event you pick. I've always thought he would have been a helluva decathlete because of his versatility and pure athleticism.

You and I had this discussion before about Darrell Green and his speed relative to other athletes, like Joe Delaney. If I recall correctly, you opined that Green was faster than Delaney, too.

I'm gonna call bull**** on that in a large way AND I'm gonna call bull**** on the notion that Green was hobbled in the McNeese/A&I game. I personally think he simply underestimated Stephen's ability to switch gears and was overconfident of his own closing speed.

Green enjoys his NFL's fastest man rep and rightfully so, but remember that Delaney drowned before Green got to the NFL and didn't have a chance to run against him straight up.

I can tell you what I've seen with my own eyes. I've seen Stephen outrun the angle. Yes, Green was fast, but you're basically talking about a difference of 1.8 tenths of a second difference in best 100 meter times for guys who obviously trained differently for different events and attempting to correlate that to a 10-20 yard burst on a football field in game conditions. At best, that difference in best times equates to about a step and a half over 100 meters, and I'd say you can attribute about half that distance to a difference in starting philosophies between a guy trained in the 100 meters and a guy trained in the 110 highs. So, a half step difference in real speed over 100 meters and you think this equates into a lead-pipe cinch that there's no way that Stephen could have sprinted past him? What about their respective ability to carry their pads?

Your point is a non-sequitor argument because it's comparing apples and oranges.

As to Green versus Delaney, I personally watched Joe Delaney run down Jeffrey Phillips from Tennessee in the 4 x 100 one night after Jeffrey Phillips ran a 10.00 hundred meters and got beat in a photo finish by Carl Lewis's 9.99 in the 1981 NCAA championship. I saw it with my own eyes. Moreover, it's been memorialized in print, with photos and there's video of it somewhere.

Joe might not have been a great open 100 guy, but as I recall he was a 10.2 sprinter, which isn't shabby in anybody's book. However, with a flying start, he was faster than anybody in that race that night and the cast of assembled characters was pretty damned impressive. You may have heard of a few of these guys: Herschel Walker, Mel Lattany (then the fastest man in the world), Carl Lewis, Gold Medallist Dwayne Evans from Arizona State and Olympian Stanley Floyd. His burst after getting the stick was scarey fast.

Correlating 40 yard dash times/100 meter dash times to what a guy can do in pads is sometimes not an exact science.

We're going to have to agree to disagree...

Hoyadestroya85
May 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Tough choice. Off the top of my head I would say Gordon without looking at any stats or researching it. Could some posters who saw them both in person and followed their careers help on this one?

umm... Its tough to say.. Gordon had an Older Brian Westbrook, Boden had Brian Finneran and Freshman/Sophomore Westbrook.. Boden had the better stats and led us to an undefeated regular season and a number 1 ranking as a sophomore, but Gordon carried us further into the playoffs... It's a dead heat in my opinion..

GannonFan
May 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Echo other Delaware posters, as good as Flacco was, I still think he was only the 3rd best QB I saw play at UD - I thought Vergantino was a better QB within the offense he played and Gannon trumps them both, and easily. Gannon as a sight to see play, being as athletic as he was along with a rifle for an arm. I've never seen live a better college QB than Gannon.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Greatest Patriot League QB I ever saw?

Hard to pick one.

Baur, Lafayette
Vena, Colgate
Wiley, Holy Cross
Given, Bucknell
Kempa, Lehigh
Watson, Fordham

Georgetown has had good, but not outstanding, QB's during their tenure in the PL. Towson was in a similar situation.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Russ Michna

Damn straight.

Steve McNair (Alcorn State), Willie Totten (Mississippi Valley State) and Kelly Ryan (Yale) also come to mind.

Fordham
May 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Greatest Patriot League QB I ever saw?

Hard to pick one.

Baur, Lafayette
Vena, Colgate
Wiley, Holy Cross
Given, Bucknell
Kempa, Lehigh
Watson, Fordham

Georgetown has had good, but not outstanding, QB's during their tenure in the PL. Towson was in a similar situation. I think you meant Kevin Eakin for Fordham. Kerwin Watson was arguably our best TB since the Lombardi era.

And I agree with Vena and Baur and would add Stambaugh to Lehigh's list.

Appaholic
May 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM
My school and overall, I'm ready to name AE, but Richie is a close second. Conference-wise, I would name Frankie DeBusk from Furman and Eric Kresser from Marshall.

DaveK
May 30th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Todd Kovash, Todd Bouman

PhantomCAT
May 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM
NUA guys not making any noise for their alumnus? There were two that I remember from the early 90's. I thought that the first of the pair (whose name escapes me:John Friesz?) was the better of the two. The second was Travis Brown. He may still be in the NFL as a journeyman back-up. Both these guys were 6'5' 225 pocket passers with CANNONS.

Doug Nussmeier from Idaho (when they were in the Big Sky) was another journeyman back-up in the NFL.

Jamie Martin from Weber State has been the back-up in St. Louis for an eternity it seems.

TRAVIS LULAY, the Red Headed Houdini! The teams overall record is not even close to the talent/leadership quantities of this guy. He was incredible behind center. Legendary stuff at MSU no doubt about it!

AppAlum2003
May 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Echo other Delaware posters, as good as Flacco was, I still think he was only the 3rd best QB I saw play at UD - I thought Vergantino was a better QB within the offense he played and Gannon trumps them both, and easily. Gannon as a sight to see play, being as athletic as he was along with a rifle for an arm. I've never seen live a better college QB than Gannon.

Soooo... would you then call yourself a Gannon Fan? Just wondering.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think you meant Kevin Eakin for Fordham. Kerwin Watson was arguably our best TB since the Lombardi era.

And I agree with Vena and Baur and would add Stambaugh to Lehigh's list.

Not sure if you know but Kirwin Watson is a NFL scout now. He scouts the northeast and I believe evaluates his former school's players now.

uofmman1122
May 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
TRAVIS LULAY, the Red Headed Houdini! The teams overall record is not even close to the talent/leadership quantities of this guy. He was incredible behind center. Legendary stuff at MSU no doubt about it!That red-headed step child is the devil! xmadxxlolx:p

Amazing athlete, indeed. The Lulay years were tough for Griz fans. xnodx

ngineer
May 30th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Lehigh has had a lot of excellent QB's over the years. Dan Nolan in the late 1950's led the 1957 Lambert Cup team and Kim McQuilken led the turnaround at Lehigh from 1971-73. Different styles of play effect who was the 'greatest'. Thereafter, in the more 'wide open' era Marty Horn, Glenn Kempa and Phil Stampbaugh had tremendous runs at the position as well. Mike Rieker led the 1977 National Championship team and still holds the record for career yard/attempt at 9.19. In applying the 'ratings' QBs receive today, according to the Media Guide, current AD Joe Sterrett from 1976 leads the career list at 155.43 followed by Rieker (147.93), Brant Hall (147.58), Mark Borda (146.20), and Scott Semptimphelter (141.29)...Semptimphelter had a 'cup of coffee' with the Dallas Cowboys and threw 6 TD passes against Lafayette in 1993.

In terms of 'greatest' impact on the school's program, I'd have to go with McQuilken, with Rieker a close second. In terms of 'statistics' and W/L record, Stambaugh would be the choice. McQuilken had the most post-graduate success with about 8 years in the NFL with the Falcons and the Redskins.

93henfan
May 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm surprised none of the Mainers brought up Mike Buck. He was a stud for the Black Bears and actually tossed four TDs in spot duty for the New Orleans Saints in 1993. One of the bigger wins I ever saw at Delaware Stadium was the Hens putting the first 'L' on Maine late in the season in '89. I believe Maine may have been ranked #1 at the time.

Retro
May 30th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Todd Kovash, Todd Bouman

Todd Bouman?? Didn't he go to St. Cloud State?xoopsx

skinny_uncle
May 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Jim Hart @ SIU.

Dang, I feel old.
xwhistlex

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Who is the greatest QB you ever saw play at your school and in your conference?

School: I had a touch decision for a Single year I chose Quincy Richard (had a great 2003 season) overall I chose Eric Randall (a great leader who lead Southern to a conference title in 1993).
Conference: I chose Steve McNair (I was too young to appreciate how good Willie Totten was at Mississippi Valley in the Jerry Rice days)

Nate Harrision was the most talented QB to come thru SU by far, probably more talented than McNair. He just wasn't dedicated to the game xsmhx .

furman94
May 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Ingle Martin

GAD
May 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Nate Harrision was the most talented QB to come thru SU by far, probably more talented than McNair. He just wasn't dedicated to the game xsmhx .
I agree Nate could bring the crowd to there feet

He would break 2 or 3 tackles scrambling in the backfield, McNair just kept his head up field

ngineer
May 30th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Lehigh has had a lot of excellent QB's over the years. Dan Nolan in the late 1950's led the 1957 Lambert Cup team and Kim McQuilken led the turnaround at Lehigh from 1971-73. Different styles of play effect who was the 'greatest'. Thereafter, in the more 'wide open' era Marty Horn, Glenn Kempa and Phil Stampbaugh had tremendous runs at the position as well. Mike Rieker led the 1977 National Championship team and still holds the record for career yard/attempt at 9.19. In applying the 'ratings' QBs receive today, according to the Media Guide, current AD Joe Sterrett from 1976 leads the career list at 155.43 followed by Rieker (147.93), Brant Hall (147.58), Mark Borda (146.20), and Scott Semptimphelter (141.29)...Semptimphelter had a 'cup of coffee' with the Dallas Cowboys and threw 6 TD passes against Lafayette in 1993.

In terms of 'greatest' impact on the school's program, I'd have to go with McQuilken, with Rieker a close second. In terms of 'statistics' and W/L record, Stambaugh would be the choice. McQuilken had the most post-graduate success with about 8 years in the NFL with the Falcons and the Redskins.

I should be flogged...I failed to mention Pat Pazzetti, All-American QB for Lehigh in 1912, which began a long skean of winning seasons. Pazzetti was a triple threat QB and was engaged in one of the early 'games of the century' when Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indians visited (then) Taylor Field, the Thorpe carrying the day leading up to their great showdown with Army (lead by some players named Eisenhower and Patton).xreadx

BULLDOG8180
May 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Call me biased, but I have yet to see a SoCon quarterback who is better than Tracy Ham was. It's hard to beat 3,000+ yards passing and 2,000+ yards rushing in one season, even in a season with 15 games. Yes, he is even better than Richie Williams was. Interpret that as a sincere, very high-level compliment to Ham.

I don't think Tracy Ham ever was in the SoCon. He was about the best I ever saw running the option though.

BULLDOG8180
May 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Ingle Martin

You are too young, probably David Whitehurst would be the best ever at Furman. Don't claim the Florida reject.

RadMann
May 30th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I should be flogged...I failed to mention Pat Pazzetti, All-American QB for Lehigh in 1912, which began a long skean of winning seasons. Pazzetti was a triple threat QB and was engaged in one of the early 'games of the century' when Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indians visited (then) Taylor Field, the Thorpe carrying the day leading up to their great showdown with Army (lead by some players named Eisenhower and Patton).xreadx

UD's QB on the 1903 squad was awesome also! ;)

BULLDOG8180
May 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM
For The Citadel, probably the best overall would be Jack Douglas.

Old school would be Harry Lynch.

Best single season performance(leading a team and a new offense), Gene Brown- that kid could run the option.

Duran Lawson had a great career, and deserves honorable mention.

Best in the conference: AE (got to go with the Greenwood boy).

Ham doesn't qualify because I don't think he ever played in the SoCon......
But he was the best IMHO. AE does have a shot at him though.

foghorn
May 30th, 2008, 11:35 PM

I'll go with Gannon as #1, but I think that Flacco was much better in the 'spread' than Vergantino was in the 'Wing-T'. Vergantino was a great ball-handler and somewhat elusive, but had a sub-par arm. I've never seen a QB at any level have the arm strength and accuracy as Flacco. As a matter of fact, Dale Fry, who unfortunately was limited because of injury, could run as well as Vergantino and had a better arm than Gannon.
Someone tried to compare Gannon with Santos. That's a joke. Gannon was a better passer, more elusive, and ran a legitimate 4.4 forty. He was the fastest player on the teams he played on. His athletic ability was the basis on why he was drafted in the 4th round as a DB by the Patriots.
I think Andy Hall and Scott Brunner were also better QB's than Vergantino. Both were NFL draftees. Billie Vergantino was a fine QB for a ground-oriented Wing-T, but IMO was/is given more credit than he deserves because of his 5'8" diminutive size. Kind of like "little guy overcomes size with heart" type of feel-good tag.xcoffeex

I Bleed Purple
May 31st, 2008, 12:46 AM
NUA guys not making any noise for their alumnus? There were two that I remember from the early 90's. I thought that the first of the pair (whose name escapes me:John Friesz?) was the better of the two. The second was Travis Brown. He may still be in the NFL as a journeyman back-up. Both these guys were 6'5' 225 pocket passers with CANNONS.

Doug Nussmeier from Idaho (when they were in the Big Sky) was another journeyman back-up in the NFL.

Jamie Martin from Weber State has been the back-up in St. Louis for an eternity it seems.

TRAVIS LULAY, the Red Headed Houdini! The teams overall record is not even close to the talent/leadership quantities of this guy. He was incredible behind center. Legendary stuff at MSU no doubt about it!

Ah, there's the Jamie Martin reference. Walter Payton award winner. Team averaged 575 yards a game.

With the Saints, now, I believe.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 31st, 2008, 01:30 AM
Dave Dickenson and Craig Ochs at UM.

Nationally I would have to go with Edwards & Flacco recently and Ron Jaworski and Kurt Warner

Appaholic
May 31st, 2008, 12:15 PM
Ingle Martin

Us App fans love Ingle as well....xsmiley_wix

furman94
May 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
You are too young, probably David Whitehurst would be the best ever at Furman. Don't claim the Florida reject.

I'm not too young, I know Whitehurt well. I said Ingle because of the attention that came with him.

furman94
May 31st, 2008, 12:58 PM
xsplatx xpissedx
Us App fans love Ingle as well....xsmiley_wix

xbangx xflamemadx xbangx

Cursed Endzone! Cursed I Say!

lucchesicourt
May 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
That's a difficult question for UCDfans. You can take your pick:
Ken O'Brien
JT O'Sullivan
Khari Jones
Kevin Daft
Mark Grieb

It's got to be one of these guys. Though there were others who also played in the NFL.

Sir William
May 31st, 2008, 02:10 PM
The most complete QB ever to wear the purple and white:

Frankie DeBusk

(Ingle Martin is a close 2nd; Bobby Lamb, 3rd; then, Whitehurst)

poly51
May 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Jim Zorn, the original Seattle Seahawks quarterback and current Washington Redskins head coach. He played for the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos in the early 1970s. He played twice at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo's Mustang Stadium but never beat the Mustangs.

JBB
May 31st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Probably just for BISON fans:

Simdorn emerged in 1986 after backup QB Brian Owens broke his jaw in the opener. After that Simdorn was battling Gary Barta for the #2.

In 1986 Bentrim was a Sr. and a 4th year starter. Phil Hansen was a freshman on the 1986 team and dont forget all time great Bison Tyrone Braxton.

For all Bison fans they were already calling our Dacotah Field attendance numbers inflated after the announced attendance of 16,200 for the University of South Dakota game. At that time it was an all time attendance record for Dacotah Field and may still stand, i dont know.

Gary Barta was an enigma. in 1982 He was a top QB recruit with a national reputation. Bentrim came in 1983 and stole the show. But Barta contributed playing several different positions and was a critical component to the team. In 1986 he started 2 games at QB. Without him NDSU may not have made it to the National Championship.

Bentrim proved himself in 1986 in all kinds of weather. Against the Augi Doggies it was a -21 wind chill at Dacotah field, winds of 39 miles per hour and heavy snow. A Blizzard, Bentrim completed 4 of 8 for 79 yds and 2 TDs!

The last game of the 1986 season was a forgettable win in Grand Forks. NDSU had 63 pts but what made it great was the fact that Jeff Bentrim surpassed Walter Paytons touchdown record of 63. He had 3 in Grand Forks and finished the season with a career 64 TDs!

Ryan Bakken made the usual fool of himself saying NDSU set up Bentrims record. An idiot like him has access to a newspaper column! He was absolutely rude during our move up as well. But his blog was so ill received that it no longer exists and he is writing about the local Garden club now.

Later that year NDSU went against University of South Dakota for the D2 national championship. The D2 national committee was especially hard on NDSU declairing two starters ineligible for the playoffs.

Did it make any difference? No. But it was the first shot across the bow from D2 that NDSU was no longer welcome. After that came regionalization and a decided bias against NDSU in all decisions capped by the Delta State fiasco. That all led to the long overdue move to the FCS.

Bentrim led the BISON to 3 National Championships in 4 years. losing the fourth on a last second field goal. He was the first winner of the coveted D2 Harlon Hill and has to be the greatest QB in NDSU BISON Lore.

ASU_Pads
May 31st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Richie Williams.

Edwards is absolutely amazing to watch, but at the end of the day, it has to be Rich. My man went 40 of 45 for 413 yards against a #2 ranked Furman squad, and led App to a 30-29 win in that game in 2004.

Trey is also my boy. He could start at most FCS schools, but he was a team player. It's great to know he (and Nic Cardwell) will be back on the ASU sidelines as a coach next season.

Oh, I almost forgot!!! What about Ingle Martin? It takes a very special player to slip on the ASU 2 yard line in the semi's. I give Martin as much credit as anyone for that 2005 semifinal win. xwhistlex

GOKATS
May 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM

Friesz played at Idaho (when they were in the Big Sky).

AVATT
May 31st, 2008, 09:21 PM

...and Dartmouth

mikebigg
May 31st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Best QB's in Grambling's History (in order): Doug Williams, James "Shack" Harris, Matthew Reed, Mike Williams

Best Single Seasons (Stats): Bruce Eugene, Doug Williams, Mike Williams (64% completion)

Best Opponent: Joe Gilliam (TnSU), Steve McNair, Willie Totten (MSVU)Graylin Pratt (Jackson State)

Best Conference: Doug Williams, Steve McNair, James "Shack" Harris, Willie Totten (Honorable Mention: Parnell Dickinson, MSVU)

GAD
June 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Remember something else about Nate he use to kick the extra point, and kickoff sometimes

DuckDuckGriz
June 6th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Briah Ah Yat, Dave Dickenson, and Craig Ochs were three of the best all around fundamental QBs I have ever seen at Montana.

John Edwards for the Griz was right up there as far as a team leader and reliable QB.

Others to note:
Eric Nichols, EWU
Jimmy Blanchard, Portland State
Russ Michna, WIU

Grizzaholic
June 6th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Briah Ah Yat, Dave Dickenson, and Craig Ochs were three of the best all around fundamental QBs I have ever seen at Montana.

John Edwards for the Griz was right up there as far as a team leader and reliable QB.

Others to note:
Eric Nichols, EWU
Jimmy Blanchard, Portland State
Russ Michna, WIU

He just sits above the rest of the QB's you listed. Just didn't want to ever lose.

DuckDuckGriz
June 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
He just sits above the rest of the QB's you listed. Just didn't want to ever lose.

I hear that - his drive against Marshall in the 95 NC was incredible.

John Edwards' 99 yard drive in the 2001 game against Furman was good, would have been one of the best ever if it was late in the game.

mcveyrl
June 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Best QB I saw for us was probably Rascati. Never saw Mike Causey, but I know he was good.

As far as our conference goes, Flacco is probably the best I've seen, but will defer to the UD poster consensus on the best at UD.

DuckDuckGriz
June 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Best QB I saw for us was probably Rascati. Never saw Mike Causey, but I know he was good.

As far as our conference goes, Flacco is probably the best I've seen, but will defer to the UD poster consensus on the best at UD.

Rascati is definetly worthy of mention, and unfortunately us Griz fans know that first hand. He flipped a switch midway through the first half of the 2004 national championship game and became a real field general.

blackfordpu
June 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
So far Long is the best QB I have seen play for the Kats. Hopefully Bomar will make me change my mind after this season.

Grizzaholic
June 6th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I hear that - his drive against Marshall in the 95 NC was incredible.

John Edwards' 99 yard drive in the 2001 game against Furman was good, would have been one of the best ever if it was late in the game.

I agree with you on that one.

Montanan
June 6th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Dave Dickenson, hands down! i must say i enjoyed the athletecism and tenacity of one Travis Lulay.

GannonFan
June 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I'll go with Gannon as #1, but I think that Flacco was much better in the 'spread' than Vergantino was in the 'Wing-T'. Vergantino was a great ball-handler and somewhat elusive, but had a sub-par arm. I've never seen a QB at any level have the arm strength and accuracy as Flacco. As a matter of fact, Dale Fry, who unfortunately was limited because of injury, could run as well as Vergantino and had a better arm than Gannon.
Someone tried to compare Gannon with Santos. That's a joke. Gannon was a better passer, more elusive, and ran a legitimate 4.4 forty. He was the fastest player on the teams he played on. His athletic ability was the basis on why he was drafted in the 4th round as a DB by the Patriots.
I think Andy Hall and Scott Brunner were also better QB's than Vergantino. Both were NFL draftees. Billie Vergantino was a fine QB for a ground-oriented Wing-T, but IMO was/is given more credit than he deserves because of his 5'8" diminutive size. Kind of like "little guy overcomes size with heart" type of feel-good tag.xcoffeex

To each their own, of course, but I was looking at it in terms of effectiveness, not some idea of what makes a great QB. Obviously Vergantino was only going to be successful in an offense like that, but within that offensive scheme he was phenomenol. He wasn't Tracy Ham or an all-time great option-type QB like those guys were, but he was unbelievably successful and was the linchpin in making those UD teams as good as they were in the early 90's. Obviously his arm was almost non-existent (although he did perfect that ability to throw looping wounded ducks very effectively) but he more than made up for it in other ways. A badly timed bad flu bug before that Marshall semifinal game was probably all that separated him and the Hens from having another National Title in '92 and he'd be even more fondly remembered.

But still, Gannon was clearly the best of what's been a great position for UD for going on 4-5 decades now.

BlueHen86
June 6th, 2008, 11:33 PM
To each their own, of course, but I was looking at it in terms of effectiveness, not some idea of what makes a great QB. Obviously Vergantino was only going to be successful in an offense like that, but within that offensive scheme he was phenomenol. He wasn't Tracy Ham or an all-time great option-type QB like those guys were, but he was unbelievably successful and was the linchpin in making those UD teams as good as they were in the early 90's. Obviously his arm was almost non-existent (although he did perfect that ability to throw looping wounded ducks very effectively) but he more than made up for it in other ways. A badly timed bad flu bug before that Marshall semifinal game was probably all that separated him and the Hens from having another National Title in '92 and he'd be even more fondly remembered.

But still, Gannon was clearly the best of what's been a great position for UD for going on 4-5 decades now.
I loved Vergantino, unfortunately, it seemed that he took a beating during the season becasue of the way he played and was never 100% for the post season. The flu didn't help either.

Rob Iola
June 6th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Flacco ('07 Navy game best ever for a UD QB), Gannon (best pure athlete at QB), Brunner, Hall, Komlo, Vergantino, Nagy...

And our D tends to make the opposition QB look like Joe Montana - hell, how many times would UNH have their QB knocked out only to trot out someone from the JV to kick our a$$es?

mainejeff
June 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
For Maine:

1. Mike Buck
2. Jake Eaton
3. Mickey Fein

DuckDuckGriz
June 7th, 2008, 12:10 AM
For Maine:

1. Mike Buck
2. Jake Eaton
3. Mickey Fein

What was the name of the kid who had alot of hype around him? #19? This is not smack at all I really can't remember.

SeattleGriz
June 7th, 2008, 12:37 AM
What was the name of the kid who had alot of hype around him? #19? This is not smack at all I really can't remember.

MaineJeff dude. Sheesh!

KAUMASS
June 7th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Best I played against-Rich Gannon, Delaware. Best I've seen in person since my playing days, Ricky Santos, UNH.

813Jag
June 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Remember something else about Nate he use to kick the extra point, and kickoff sometimes
Nate was an all around athlete. But that 03 season was something special, I hadn't seen (personally) a Southern team score that easily since the 95 team with Eric Randall.

gatadotcom
June 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
The greatest four I witnessed first-hand were:

Tracy Ham, Georgia Southern (1983-86)
Bernard Hawk, Bethune-Cookman (1984)
Jayson Foster, Georgia Southern (2005-2008)
Mike Buck, Maine (1987)

Longhorn
June 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I thought Doug Williams won the Super Bowl MVP. I did not think he ever won the NFL season MVP award as Warner, Gannon and McNair did.

You're right. And you could add Terry Bradshaw, a first ballot NFL Hall of Famer who played at Louisiana Tech when it competed at 1AA, who won an MVP in 1978 and two Super Bowl MVPs (78, 79) and Phil Simms (who played at Morehead State) who won a Super Bowl MVP.

All in all, a pretty impressive list of QBs not from BCS schools. Bradshaw, Simms, Warner, McNair, Gannon, Williams...there are others...

patssle
June 7th, 2008, 11:09 AM
So far Long is the best QB I have seen play for the Kats. Hopefully Bomar will make me change my mind after this season.

The Rhett Bomar I saw at NDSU who didn't have his hands tied by the coaching staff blew away Dustin Long.

Unfortently I don't think that will happen again.

BarefootApp
June 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
For me, it's AE, followed by Steve Brown

g-webb1994
June 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I guess John Craven back in our 1992 NAIA Championship game year. Craven threw alot of picks, but piled up the yards and TD's in the process.

Opponent in conference.....Thigpen from CCU.

Best FCS QB I've seen in person.....tough one, probably have to go back to my brothers' days at Furman and pick Bobby Lamb.

g-webb1994
June 7th, 2008, 11:12 PM
The most complete QB ever to wear the purple and white:

Frankie DeBusk

(Ingle Martin is a close 2nd; Bobby Lamb, 3rd; then, Whitehurst)

Don't overlook David Charpia on that list Sir William, he was a key cog that got the Dick Sheridan Socon title machine cranking down in Greenville.xnodx

mikebigg
June 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM
You're right. And you could add Terry Bradshaw, a first ballot NFL Hall of Famer who played at Louisiana Tech when it competed at 1AA, who won an MVP in 1978 and two Super Bowl MVPs (78, 79) and Phil Simms (who played at Morehead State) who won a Super Bowl MVP.

All in all, a pretty impressive list of QBs not from BCS schools. Bradshaw, Simms, Warner, McNair, Gannon, Williams...there are others...

Actually, it wasn't 1AA for Terry Bradshaw and Doug Williams during their collegiate days. Not sure about Simms and Gannon.

JohnStOnge
June 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
The Rhett Bomar I saw at NDSU who didn't have his hands tied by the coaching staff blew away Dustin Long.

Unfortently I don't think that will happen again.

Why?

patssle
June 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Why?

Our head coach is really worried about being balanced. At NDSU, for some reason, he wasn't. We also didn't throw a lot of screen passes. All we did was throw the ball and a few Bomar runs. A top 5 football program couldn't stop us.

Rest of the season saw us trying to be balanced with the running vs passing game and also a lot of screen passes. Had we done the same playcalling as NDSU, I would of put money down on us being in the playoffs. And Bomar would of had an exceptional year.

Longhorn
June 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Actually, it wasn't 1AA for Terry Bradshaw and Doug Williams during their collegiate days. Not sure about Simms and Gannon.

So you're thinking it was DII for Bradshaw and Williams? That's quite likely. I wasn't exactly sure about Bradshaw, or when LA Tech and Grambling moved from DII to 1AA. I know that the change occured just around the time Bradshaw was playing. It might have been much the same for Simms and Gannon. Still, the point remains that all these great QBs didn't play for football factories or emerge from the current crop of BCS schools.

blackfordpu
June 8th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Our head coach is really worried about being balanced. At NDSU, for some reason, he wasn't. We also didn't throw a lot of screen passes. All we did was throw the ball and a few Bomar runs. A top 5 football program couldn't stop us.

Rest of the season saw us trying to be balanced with the running vs passing game and also a lot of screen passes. Had we done the same playcalling as NDSU, I would of put money down on us being in the playoffs. And Bomar would of had an exceptional year.

Yea, I don't know why Whitten just doesn't do what Mack Brown with VY and let Bomar be Bomar.

Who cares if we are balanced as long as we are winning?

Baldy
June 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM

FWIW, Ham never played in the SoCon. However, he beat a bunch of SoCon teams in his career though. :D ;)

appfan2008
June 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM
richie williams is the best quarterback to ever play in the socon and his predecessor will soon take that spot away

URMite
June 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Richmond in the past has been much more of a RB school than a QB one. Or maybe I'm bias against option QBs. But I'd say Bobby Bleier in the mid 80s.

In the CAA, I'd go with Gannon, based solely on 1 game in Richmond. We were leading 19-0 in the 4th, before he threw 3 4th qtr 4th down TDs to win 20-19. As well as having a few punts over 60 yds.

bjtheflamesfan
June 8th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Really the best QB in the Big South is a pretty limited question since we've only offered football since 2003 as a championship sport, but I would have to think that Tyler Thigpen was the best that I have seen. (Im sure any of the other Liberty guys on this board would concur)

As far as the best QB at Liberty, I think the best we've had were Biff Parson and Robbie Justino (he was the QB the year LU beat Eastern Michigan I believe) although Brock Smith could be up there in the discussion as well.

CID1990
June 8th, 2008, 08:26 PM
For The Citadel, probably the best overall would be Jack Douglas.

Old school would be Harry Lynch.

Best single season performance(leading a team and a new offense), Gene Brown- that kid could run the option.

Duran Lawson had a great career, and deserves honorable mention.

Best in the conference: AE (got to go with the Greenwood boy).

Ham doesn't qualify because I don't think he ever played in the SoCon......
But he was the best IMHO. AE does have a shot at him though.

I'd agree with your order... Jack Douglas, Gene Brown (We had two plays... GB right, and GB left), and Duran Lawson.

I think Jack Douglas was one of the best quarterbacks to ever run the wishbone.

The second best wishbone QB I ever saw was that kid from Wofford who was born without one of his pectoral muscles, I can't remember his name. I also can't remember if Wofford was yet in FCS when he played for them.

PSUVikings
June 8th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Nick Lomax

GannonFan
June 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I loved Vergantino, unfortunately, it seemed that he took a beating during the season becasue of the way he played and was never 100% for the post season. The flu didn't help either.

Huh? He had a stellar game against Samford and then he was the cog in the Hens knocking off the #1 seed, on the road, when they beat NE Lousiana. The flu right before the Marshall game was the only thing I saw that slowed him that year.

mikebigg
June 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
So you're thinking it was DII for Bradshaw and Williams? That's quite likely. I wasn't exactly sure about Bradshaw, or when LA Tech and Grambling moved from DII to 1AA. I know that the change occured just around the time Bradshaw was playing. It might have been much the same for Simms and Gannon. Still, the point remains that all these great QBs didn't play for football factories or emerge from the current crop of BCS schools.

I'm not quite sure about Bradshaw...he was about 5 years or more ahead of Doug Williams. I think Bradshaw came out in 1971, I know Doug's senior year was 1977. Back then they had college division and Big College Division, but Bradshaw may have been DII. I know Doug was named AP All-American (1st team) over Guy Benjamin from Stanford (I think it was Stanford) on the 1977 team. Had the D2 playoffs ended during that time period? I don't recall Grambling participating during Doug's tenure at Grambling (during his time, we had wins over Oregon State, Univ of Hawaii, Temple)

lucchesicourt
June 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Nick Lomax? I thought it was Neal Lomax!!

DuckDuckGriz
June 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
It was Neil Lomax and it was during PSU's Division II days so I am not sure it counts, although he was a stud for sure.

phoenix3
June 9th, 2008, 07:03 PM
At Elon, it is our current QB, Scott Riddell. 3817 passing yards in 11 regular season games as a freshman.

Jiggs
June 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
For Samford, perhaps, Jimbo Fisher. Set the school record at Samford with 34 passing touchdowns and was named the Division III National Player of the Year in 1987

blazrdog#1
June 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Jimbo Fisher IS the man!xbowx

Tailbone
June 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
richie williams is the best quarterback to ever play in the socon and his predecessor will soon take that spot away

Now that would be a good trick!

andy7171
June 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Anyone remember Jay "Sky" Walker out of Howard in the early 90's? He completely abused Towson's defense in 1993, ultimately beating us on a 30+ yard TD screen with no time left on the clock. Thay went 10-0 that year.

Anyway that's the best QB I've played against. Played with? Easy Dan Crowley.

ElonPride
June 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM
At Elon, it is our current QB, Scott Riddell. 3817 passing yards in 11 regular season games as a freshman.

Acutally it's Scott "Riddle" :)

Right now, I would have to say Derrick Moore was the best QB. He rushed for 3,197 career, yards passed for 2,526 yards and rushed for 55 Tds. He was able to put up good rushing numbers, with a guy on the team (Steven Furgeson) that rushed for over 1,000 yards 2 of those years. Moore lead us to our best record in I-AA (FCS).

Riddle is good, but as far as the best athlete and team leader, I would have to go with Moore.......for now.

813Jag
June 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Anyone remember Jay "Sky" Walker out of Howard in the early 90's? He completely abused Towson's defense in 1993, ultimately beating us on a 30+ yard TD screen with no time left on the clock. Thay went 10-0 that year.

Anyway that's the best QB I've played against. Played with? Easy Dan Crowley.
I rememer Jay Walker, great QB but he was over shadowed by Air McNair.

I also remember another great Howard QB Ted "Sweet Flight" White, my Baton Rouge homeboy.

Millwoch
June 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM

How many SOCON championships did Ingle Have?

Millwoch
June 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I'd agree with your order... Jack Douglas, Gene Brown (We had two plays... GB right, and GB left), and Duran Lawson.

I think Jack Douglas was one of the best quarterbacks to ever run the wishbone.

The second best wishbone QB I ever saw was that kid from Wofford who was born without one of his pectoral muscles, I can't remember his name. I also can't remember if Wofford was yet in FCS when he played for them.

I agree...you have to go with Jack Douglas...his wins(USC, Arky, Navy, Army), SOCON championship, and back to back playoff appearences gives Jack the nod.

Interesting note about Gene Brown. Armanti Edwards just broke Gene Brown's(against VMI I believe) NCAA single game rushing total for a QB last year...against who but El Cid in JH stadium.

Duran Lawson was our most well rounded QB. He had good passing and rushing numbers. I think that the history book is being written right now with Bart Blanchard. I think he will have huge numbers this year as a RSoph. He should have a shot at a lot of Citadel records...but time will tell.

mikebigg
June 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I rememer Jay Walker, great QB but he was over shadowed by Air McNair.

I also remember another great Howard QB Ted "Sweet Flight" White, my Baton Rouge homeboy.

Ted married my "daughter"...she's my daughter's best friend, but I gave her hand to him in marriage at their wedding. Ted's a good guy and was a helluva qb at Howard. Cool people!

Cap'n Cat
June 12th, 2008, 01:54 PM
UNI: Mike Smith, 84-87
UNI: Eric Sanders, 04-07

Other Gateway: Sean Payton, EIU, 82-85; Joel Zambursky, SIU, 04-07

AggieFinn
June 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
That I ever saw at UC Davis?

Without a doubt when I first got on campus in 2000, a gritty playmaker named J.T. O'Sullivan who virtually re-wrote every Aggie passing record and twice earned the Teams' Most Valuable and Inspirational Player Award as a three year starter.

http://athletics.ucdavis.edu/FOOTBALL/Photo_Gallery/99games/sum_western_oregon3.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/ninerinsider/2008/05/05/jto_sully_kurt_rogers_350x272.jpg

He's now currently exposing the fraud that is Alex Smith. xthumbsupx

CID1990
June 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I agree...you have to go with Jack Douglas...his wins(USC, Arky, Navy, Army), SOCON championship, and back to back playoff appearences gives Jack the nod.

Interesting note about Gene Brown. Armanti Edwards just broke Gene Brown's(against VMI I believe) NCAA single game rushing total for a QB last year...against who but El Cid in JH stadium.

Duran Lawson was our most well rounded QB. He had good passing and rushing numbers. I think that the history book is being written right now with Bart Blanchard. I think he will have huge numbers this year as a RSoph. He should have a shot at a lot of Citadel records...but time will tell.

I hope he erases all the passing records put up by douche Ellis Johnson's mercenary from Auburn.

813Jag
June 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Ted married my "daughter"...she's my daughter's best friend, but I gave her hand to him in marriage at their wedding. Ted's a good guy and was a helluva qb at Howard. Cool people!
Former Glen Oaks Panther. Do you remember what happened to the WR Tim Brown that was on that Glen Oaks team?

mikebigg
June 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Former Glen Oaks Panther. Do you remember what happened to the WR Tim Brown that was on that Glen Oaks team?

In my opinion, the best running back to play high school football in BR ( I moved her in 1979 and started going to the games in the mid 80's). Yes, better than Warrick Dunn, Travis Minor, the list goes on. I think after this junior season, he dropped out of school or something. I gotta ask Ted about him next time he's in town.

blueballs
June 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Acutally it's Scott "Riddle" :)

Right now, I would have to say Derrick Moore was the best QB. He rushed for 3,197 career, yards passed for 2,526 yards and rushed for 55 Tds. He was able to put up good rushing numbers, with a guy on the team (Steven Furgeson) that rushed for over 1,000 yards 2 of those years. Moore lead us to our best record in I-AA (FCS).

Riddle is good, but as far as the best athlete and team leader, I would have to go with Moore.......for now.

If Riddle stay healthy and your head coach stays with your program Riddle will make all of you forget anybody else who ever took snaps at Elon... Riddle has a knack for making plays and he will be 100% better this year than last.

As for the SoCon- and remember, GSU didn't join the SoCon until the early 90's, so no Ham and Gross and that is my frame of reference- Armanti Edwards is the best I've seen followed by Greg Hill.

To me it isn't about amassing stats, it is about making plays and winning big games, and those two are/were the best at it. Edwards has a chance to get into the real rarefied air in the division in the next two years... I'm talking like Peterson, Ham, Dickinson, etc.,truely a once in a program's generation talent.

BBB
June 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Ted White 1995-98, went down EARLY his freshman year. Play a complete 4 years he'd rewrite ALOT of passing records.

813Jag
June 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM
In my opinion, the best running back to play high school football in BR ( I moved her in 1979 and started going to the games in the mid 80's). Yes, better than Warrick Dunn, Travis Minor, the list goes on. I think after this junior season, he dropped out of school or something. I gotta ask Ted about him next time he's in town.
That dude was a beast on punt returns, he used to let the ball roll inside the 5 and take it to the house. He used to torch poor Zachary. xlolx

Dinman31
June 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
How many SOCON championships did Ingle Have?

Ingle Martin went 21-6 as a starter, won the 2004 SoCon Championship, advanced to the quarterfinals in 2004 and the semifinals in 2005.

I'd rank Bobby Lamb as the best Paladin QB with Martin second and Naper third. Honorable mention to Frankie Debusk, David Whitehurst and Braniff Bonaventure.