PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Preseason Predictions

uofmman1122
May 29th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Since a lot of other conference members are doing this, may as well start one for the 'Sky as well.

It's going to be an unusual year, in my opinion. Unusual because I don't think the Griz are the favorites, or at least the outright favorites. Here's how I see it play out:

1: EWU (7-1 Loss to MSU) 8-3 Overall
2: Montana (7-1 Loss to EWU) 10-2 Overall
3. Montana State (6-2 Loss to PSU, UM) 8-4 Overall
4. NAU (5-3 Loss to EWU, UM, MSU)7-4 Overall
5. PSU (5-3 Loss to UM, EWU, NAU) 6-5 Overall
6. Weber State (3-5 Loss to UM, MSU, EWU, NAU, PSU)5-7 Overall
8T. Northern Colorado (1-7 Loss to UM, MSU, EWU, NAU, PSU, WSU, SAC)2-9 Overall
8T. Sac State (1-7 Loss to UM, MSU, EWU, NAU, PSU, WSU, ISU)3-9 Overall
8T. ISU (1-7 Loss to UM, MSU, EWU, NAU, PSU, WSU, UNC)2-10 Overall

Took longer to compile than I thought. I actually put in a good deal of work going over each team's schedules. As with every year in the 'Sky, this will probably end up way off. It's just a pretty general outlook just looking at the games and my knowledge of the conference. xreadx

However, I think it comes down to:

1. If Montana can beat Cal Poly in the first game, I see us actually coming out on top again, though at EWU will be tough which leads me to...

2. I think the conference title belongs to whoever wins between Montana and Eastern Washington on October 11th. Although, as we've seen in countless years, it isn't always this cut and dry, which could be the case as usual. Each team is capable of shaking everything to it's foundation, and we might end up seeing multiple conference champs having a 6-2 record.

3. Tough road games ahead! EWU has to play at MSU, PSU, and WSU, Montana is away at EWU, PSU, and WSU, and Montana State has to travel to Montana and NAU. Essentially, things could go awry, and we see a huge mess with four teams charging down the last stretch of the season each with a conference champ chance.

4. FBS games could certainly hurt teams, especially EWU and MSU, who both play two very good FBS teams in one season.

All in all, I think Montana and EWU have the best shots at the title, but MSU, PSU, NAU, and even Weber could all threaten. Look for three Big Sky teams making the playoffs this year, though. xnodx

Feel free to discuss and debate, since we have a long way until kickoff. xlolxxthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
May 29th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I don't see Portland State even sniffing at the title. They grossly underachieved last year & have now lost most of the good players from that team. Even last place for the Vikes wouldn't shock me.

Syntax Error
May 29th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Since a lot of other conference members are doing this, may as well start one for the 'Sky as well.Very well done opinion!

"If Montana can beat Cal Poly in the first game"
The Griz at CP is a very big game indeed.

already123
May 29th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I like the predications.

However, I dont see NAU losing at home to MSU...so I would put NAU 3rd in that respect. I also would put WSU ahead of PSU too. If Portland gets any higher than 5th in the big sky or a winning record this season, it would be considered a good year for them IMO.

CopperCat
May 29th, 2008, 07:45 AM
If there was a darkhorse in the conference I would vote for Weber. Every year they have a stout defense with just enough firepower on offense to make every game close at least for a half. If Weber can have some offensive consistency, they might be able to finish top 3.

Grizzaholic
May 29th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I predict that a player from either MSU or UM will be arrested this comming year.

Hope it doesn't come true but.........

CopperCat
May 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I will predict that the Cat-Griz game will once again be for the BSC championship, whether that be a share of the title or not.

SideLine Shooter
May 29th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I predict that a player from either MSU or UM will be arrested this comming year.

Hope it doesn't come true but.........

How many of them are in prison now?

CopperCat
May 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM
How many of them are in prison now?

Just go back to your "App up for an emmy" thread, or any other of the 1,353 app threads.xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Just go back to your "App up for an emmy" thread, or any other of the 1,353 app threads.xcoffeex

I am sure he was joking. No need to take it serious.

CatFan22
May 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Doesn't matter if he was joking or not. It's kind of getting old seeing this shi* in every thread.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Doesn't matter if he was joking or not. It's kind of getting old seeing this shi* in every thread.

Just imagine how Cincinnati Bengals fans feel... :D

CopperCat
May 29th, 2008, 09:52 AM

And that was precisely my point.

grizband
May 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I will predict that the Cat-Griz game will once again be for the BSC championship, whether that be a share of the title or not.
But will both teams be in the running, or will one be simply trying to ruin the other's season?

putter
May 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Nice write-up. I too think EWU will and should be the pre-season favorite but the funny thing is that they play Montana tough in Missoula but the Griz have an easier time with them when they play in Cheney. It will be interesting. Also, UNC, SAC, and WSU were all playing better ball at the end of last year.

I think MSU will get hurt by the two difficult FBS games and leaves no margin for error when it comes to conference play.

GOKATS
May 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Good write-up, I'd also put EWU at #1, but they do have a new HC (former assistant under Wulff so he knows the school). I doubt if the Cats will lose to PSU at home and Cat/griz can go either way. After Minnesota and Kansas St. the Cats won't be intimidated by anyone, should be an interesting year, NAU and WSU can always make things interesting, and Sac St. and UNC will win some games this year.

Green26
May 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Weber will have a much better record and will finish higher.

wapiti
May 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I predict the following order of finish.
1: EWU 7-1, 8-3
2: Montana 6-2, 10-2
3. Montana State 6-2, 8-4
4. Weber State5-3, 7-5
5. NAU 4-4, 6-5
6. PSU 3-5, 4-7
7. ISU 2-6, 3-9
8. Sac State 1-7, 3-9
9. Northern Colorado0-8, 1-10

This has a fair chance of 3 Big sky teams in the playoffs and argument for a 4th, but not very likely 4.

DuckDuckGriz
May 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM
With Wulff gone I do not think EWU will be as effective this year.

AZGrizFan
May 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I like the predications.

However, I dont see NAU losing at home to MSU...so I would put NAU 3rd in that respect. I also would put WSU ahead of PSU too. If Portland gets any higher than 5th in the big sky or a winning record this season, it would be considered a good year for them IMO.

1122---nice analysis. But I agree with 123 here, on both accounts. I also don't see EWU losing to MSU. EWU could very well go undefeated, losing only to their 2 FBS foes. I'm afeared the BSC title runs through Cheney this year..... xsmhx

AZGrizFan
May 29th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Good write-up, I'd also put EWU at #1, but they do have a new HC (former assistant under Wulff so he knows the school). I doubt if the Cats will lose to PSU at home and Cat/griz can go either way. After Minnesota and Kansas St. the Cats won't be intimidated by anyone, should be an interesting year, NAU and WSU can always make things interesting, and Sac St. and UNC will win some games this year.

Assuming they don't lose half their starters to injuries.... :(

CopperCat
May 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM

When the point comes in the game that the loss is apparent, then you can bet that Coach Ash will have that on his mind. I don't think that will be as big of an issue as people make it out to be.

GOKATS
May 29th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Injuries can happen just as easily playing a DII team, the biggest difference is fatigue because the FBS teams have much more depth so they can put fresh bodies in. The Cats play an FBS team every year and so far (knock on wood) there haven't been any significant injuries).

srgrizizen
May 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks to UofMMann for giving us something to speculate about. This seems as good a guess as any, but I seriously doubt whether the Big Sky gets three teams in the field. Everyone on this site has heard about the "big fluffy sky" ad nauseum, and until BSC teams make some serious noise in the playoffs, there's really no effective counter to it.

AZGrizFan
May 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks to UofMMann for giving us something to speculate about. This seems as good a guess as any, but I seriously doubt whether the Big Sky gets three teams in the field. Everyone on this site has heard about the "big fluffy sky" ad nauseum, and until BSC teams make some serious noise in the playoffs, there's really no effective counter to it.

We need a Delaware State and a Fordham on the West side....Damn...I think I just made an argument for USD's inclusion into the playoffs... xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

CopperCat
May 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM

MSU, UM, NAU, and EWU have all made some noise in the playoffs in recent years, so don't give us that garbage.

EWU absolutely PASTED a second seeded McNeese team last year, and just about knocked off App (lost by a field goal). In 04' EWU beat a very good SIU team and took SHSU to the wire the very next weekend. That same year UM went to the NC game and lost to eventual champ JMU. UM may have exited in the first round at home at the hands of Wofford in 07', but lest we forget UM has been in the playoffs for something like 15 straight years. UM went to the semi finals in 06' as well. When NAU made the field in 03' they knocked off #1 seeded McNeese quite handily, so the BSC has had some good teams in the playoffs in recent past.xreadx

EWashEagle
May 29th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Nice job. I also think the Oct 11th game between Eastern Washington U and Montana will be the deciding factor. As far as the 2 BCS gameS that EWU plays to start the season, (Texas Tech and Colorado) if they can be competative and reasonably injury free, every other game will seem very managable. A tough way to start the Beau Baldwin era at EWU.

CopperCat
May 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Nice job. I also think the Oct 11th game between Eastern Washington U and Montana will be the deciding factor. As far as the 2 BCS gameS that EWU plays to start the season, (Texas Tech and Colorado) if they can be competative and reasonably injury free, every other game will seem very managable. A tough way to start the Beau Baldwin era at EWU.

Welcome to the board!!! Should be interesting to see what happens with a new coach and a team that's loaded with talent, especially in those FBS games.

Ronbo
May 29th, 2008, 09:45 PM
1122---nice analysis. But I agree with 123 here, on both accounts. I also don't see EWU losing to MSU. EWU could very well go undefeated, losing only to their 2 FBS foes. I'm afeared the BSC title runs through Cheney this year..... xsmhx

Never underestimate how much losing your entire O-Line will hurt a team. If EWU can find good replacements they'll be alright and should win the Conference. A new Coach can be iffy also. MSU had 17-18 returning starters last year from a 8-5 2006 team and finished 6-5 with a new Coach. They should have gone 9-2 with the returners they had. New Coach?

Weren't we getting this same hype about Portland State last season?

Blazerbird
May 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM
In the past I would have said that although Eastern had great talent, their success was predicated on eliminating stupid penalties and turnovers, and good special teams play. This year, I look for the Eagles to evolve. They won't shoot themselves in the foot, and could go undefeated in the conference. Beating Tech and Colorado on the road is a much tougher task. Eastern's got all the tools to earn a Big Sky Championship and a home playoff game. Personally, I think anything less would be a dissapointment.

AZGrizFan
May 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Never underestimate how much losing your entire O-Line will hurt a team. If EWU can find good replacements they'll be alright and should win the Conference. A new Coach can be iffy also. MSU had 17-18 returning starters last year from a 8-5 2006 team and finished 6-5 with a new Coach. They should have gone 9-2 with the returners they had. New Coach?

Come on, Ronbo. There's a world of difference between an assistant moving up to take the head coaching reigns and Jerry Glanville riding in on his black horse and completely changing the philosophy, playbook and personnel of the team....

uofmman1122
May 30th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I don't look too much into PSU's record last season. I think they were hit or miss all year. Hubel definitely showed he's got game. I think they'll be the same next season, except they could turn some heads if they hit, and could finish last in conference if they miss. I went with the high road on my predictions, but I could have easily had them lower.

I Bleed Purple
May 30th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Weber could be really good this year fellas. No quarterback controversy for the first time in years. Two time BSC rushing champ in the backfield. Defense can be a concern considering the end of last year, but this is the first stable year on offense in the longest time.

JALMOND
May 31st, 2008, 08:13 PM
A sort of pre-predictions for me. I would like to hold off until August as I think there are still a lot of variables that all the teams will need to work on during the summer. Right now, this is what I'm thinking (subject to change by August)...

1. EWU---Lost the coach but hired from within (unlike Montana State and Portland State last year) so I don't expect much of a dropoff. Having the Griz game in Cheney this year can only bolster hopes for toppling the Griz off the pedistal, although some could argue that the Eagles have had better success against the Griz in Missoula. Still home against their main competition this year have to swing towards the Eagles.

2. UM---Griz lost a lot from last year, just from Biermann and Hilliard moving to the pros. Hard to say how this year will be for the Griz with trips to Cheney and Portland. Still, when people think the Griz are rebuilding, they find a way to rise to the top.

3. WSU---The last few years the Wildcats had a strong defense but a pathetic offense that led to some ugly ball games. Halfway through last year, they found the offense and by the end, were playing arguably as good as both the Eagles and Griz. A comfortable sleeper here, but could move up.

4. NAU---Maybe a surprise but the Jacks have enough returning to keep them in the upper part of the conference standings, even with Watson gone.

5. MSU---Year Two in the Ash era. This year, the coach can start putting his own staple on the team, as this was the first spring practice he had in Bozeman. With the bad apples gone now, the Cats can start focusing on football and this is a good place to be.

6. PSU---Year Two for Glanville and the move from the Vikings tradition of power offense to the run and shoot. Lot of holes and lots of personnel trading places in the spring. Having both EWU and UM in Portland this year could help, but really it means this team has the best shot to literally finish anywhere in the conference. Right now, sixth is good.

7. UNC---Baptism under fire for the Bears last year and by the end of the year, some good football was being played by the boys from Greeley. If the program wants to make some noise in the conference, the third year should be a good benchmark.

8. Sac State---The Hornets were victims of some bad breaks last year and turned a promising season into struggling in the basement. Improvement is needed, but the question is will they get it.

9. ISU---Like the Hornets, the Bengals were victimized by some breaks that left them at times shaking their heads. The difference was that last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year. This year, can they build on that and make some noise?

That is kind of where I am right now. I feel pretty strong about the top four, its the other five that I'm not sure. Year two is a good barometer for a new coach as you've had a year to assess the new conference and the teams, as well as your own. How that will play for both the Cats and Vikings remain to be seen, two former contenders under the previous regime. Also, it is time for the Bears to make some noise if they ever want to compete in the conference. As for the Hornets and Bengals, no where to go but up and it is a sure bet that they will.

Conference winner---Eastern Washington
At-Large bid---Montana

Grizzaholic
May 31st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Once again JALMOND comes to the rescue with all the knowledge.

GOKATS
May 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
A sort of pre-predictions for me. I would like to hold off until August as I think there are still a lot of variables that all the teams will need to work on during the summer. Right now, this is what I'm thinking (subject to change by August)...

1. EWU---Lost the coach but hired from within (unlike Montana State and Portland State last year) so I don't expect much of a dropoff. Having the Griz game in Cheney this year can only bolster hopes for toppling the Griz off the pedistal, although some could argue that the Eagles have had better success against the Griz in Missoula. Still home against their main competition this year have to swing towards the Eagles.

2. UM---Griz lost a lot from last year, just from Biermann and Hilliard moving to the pros. Hard to say how this year will be for the Griz with trips to Cheney and Portland. Still, when people think the Griz are rebuilding, they find a way to rise to the top.

3. WSU---The last few years the Wildcats had a strong defense but a pathetic offense that led to some ugly ball games. Halfway through last year, they found the offense and by the end, were playing arguably as good as both the Eagles and Griz. A comfortable sleeper here, but could move up.

4. NAU---Maybe a surprise but the Jacks have enough returning to keep them in the upper part of the conference standings, even with Watson gone.

5. MSU---Year Two in the Ash era. This year, the coach can start putting his own staple on the team, as this was the first spring practice he had in Bozeman. With the bad apples gone now, the Cats can start focusing on football and this is a good place to be.

6. PSU---Year Two for Glanville and the move from the Vikings tradition of power offense to the run and shoot. Lot of holes and lots of personnel trading places in the spring. Having both EWU and UM in Portland this year could help, but really it means this team has the best shot to literally finish anywhere in the conference. Right now, sixth is good.

7. UNC---Baptism under fire for the Bears last year and by the end of the year, some good football was being played by the boys from Greeley. If the program wants to make some noise in the conference, the third year should be a good benchmark.

8. Sac State---The Hornets were victims of some bad breaks last year and turned a promising season into struggling in the basement. Improvement is needed, but the question is will they get it.

9. ISU---Like the Hornets, the Bengals were victimized by some breaks that left them at times shaking their heads. The difference was that last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year. This year, can they build on that and make some noise?

That is kind of where I am right now. I feel pretty strong about the top four, its the other five that I'm not sure. Year two is a good barometer for a new coach as you've had a year to assess the new conference and the teams, as well as your own. How that will play for both the Cats and Vikings remain to be seen, two former contenders under the previous regime. Also, it is time for the Bears to make some noise if they ever want to compete in the conference. As for the Hornets and Bengals, no where to go but up and it is a sure bet that they will.

Conference winner---Eastern Washington
At-Large bid---Montana

Not bad, but I definitely think the Bobcats will be in the top three. With the stupid schedule we have, Minnesota and Kansas St. and two DII games (South Dakota, but they're in transition). I can see the 'Cats going 6 (maybe 7 in conference) and not making the playoffs.

CopperCat
May 31st, 2008, 11:37 PM

The prinicple reason MSU didn't do as well as expected was because Ash had to put his system in place. On top of that, you had two QB's that played VERY inconsistently all year long.

As far as EWU goes, they should expect great things but they shouldn't expect to win the conference outright when a new coach/staff are entered into the equation. PSU is prime evidence of that. Yes, EWU has great talent still there in Boyce and Nichols and that alone will carry them through the tough games. But graduating some seniors along with the new coach may slow them down just enough to make the race for the top spot come down to the last two weeks of the season.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 31st, 2008, 11:55 PM

Thumping the #2 seed at home and excepting and a couple stupid turnovers, going toe to toe (for the most part) with App State doesn't count as serious noise?

Screamin_Eagle174
May 31st, 2008, 11:58 PM
MSU, UM, NAU, and EWU have all made some noise in the playoffs in recent years, so don't give us that garbage.

EWU absolutely PASTED a second seeded McNeese team last year, and just about knocked off App (lost by a field goal). In 04' EWU beat a very good SIU team and took SHSU to the wire the very next weekend. That same year UM went to the NC game and lost to eventual champ JMU. UM may have exited in the first round at home at the hands of Wofford in 07', but lest we forget UM has been in the playoffs for something like 15 straight years. UM went to the semi finals in 06' as well. When NAU made the field in 03' they knocked off #1 seeded McNeese quite handily, so the BSC has had some good teams in the playoffs in recent past.xreadx

My bad, didn't read the post after before I posted. Very Nice! xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
June 1st, 2008, 12:15 AM
I think the biggest question concerning Eastern isn't the HC change; it's the young O-line. Baldwin knows the team and I've heard from some of the players that he's keeping things for the most part the same. That and his first years as HC at DII Central, he went 10-3 and got them to the second rnd of the playoffs. We'll see in the Fall how the o-line holds up.

Also, I think we have a legitimate shot at taking down Colorado. Texas Tech with toughen us up for sure. Should be interesting.

SactoHornetFan
June 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM
All of you picking us to finish near the bottom again this year...all Im going to say is watch out for us. We are definitely the real sleeper in this league...especially with our offense line having a year under their belts. We have two RB's (Jones and Hilliard) that will carry a good chunk of the load...getting Bethel-Thompson at QB to challenge Smith, plus having Richardson, Washington, Baker and Lane at WR. Our LB corps might the best in all of FBS in Mulitalo, Brannon and Hickman. Our biggest question mark will be our secondary as we lost both safeties to graduation.

We went 3-5 in conf and should have beat PSU, MSU and WSU. We finished the year with a two-game winning streak and most of you picked us to 1-7? xeyebrowx Im questioning your sanity if you really believe Sac State is going 3-9 and 1-7.

I think we will be more like 7-5 or 8-4 overall and 5-3 or 6-2 in league only because 4 of our first 5 games are at home and playing 2 lower games early will help our confidence toward the meat of our schedule. In the last four years, we have scheduled so tough the first 4 games of the year that we were done after those games.

Marshall Sperbeck is a hellava coach.

AZGrizFan
June 1st, 2008, 01:02 AM
All of you picking us to finish near the bottom again this year...all Im going to say is watch out for us. We are definitely the real sleeper in this league...especially with our offense line having a year under their belts. We have two RB's (Jones and Hilliard) that will carry a good chunk of the load...getting Bethel-Thompson at QB to challenge Smith, plus having Richardson, Washington, Baker and Lane at WR. Our LB corps might the best in all of FBS in Mulitalo, Brannon and Hickman. Our biggest question mark will be our secondary as we lost both safeties to graduation.

We went 3-5 in conf and should have beat PSU, MSU and WSU. We finished the year with a two-game winning streak and most of you picked us to 1-7? xeyebrowx Im questioning your sanity if you really believe Sac State is going 3-9 and 1-7.

I think we will be more like 7-5 or 8-4 overall and 5-3 or 6-2 in league.

I thought he went to the Pros? ;) ;) ;)

ANd you're questioning OUR SANITY????? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

If Sac State wins 6 games I'll buy you a Griz Hat. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

SactoHornetFan
June 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
I thought he went to the Pros? ;) ;) ;)

ANd you're questioning OUR SANITY????? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

If Sac State wins 6 games I'll buy you a Griz Hat. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Bryan Hilliard...not Lex.

Now why would want to throw money away for something I will put in our landfill SE of town xlolx

Grizzaholic
June 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM

Now why would want to throw money away for something I will put in our landfill SE of town xlolx

I thought Californian's recycled everything?

SactoHornetFan
June 1st, 2008, 01:12 AM
I thought Californian's recycled everything?

Nah...only the greenies at places like ucdavis and berkeley do that. xlolx

AZGrizFan
June 1st, 2008, 01:13 AM

Fine. You want a hat of that *****hole of a team you call a football team, be my guest. Whatever you want.....I'll gladly take a Sac State hat and add it to my collection when you don't win FOUR games, let alone six. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizalltheway
June 1st, 2008, 01:34 AM
Fine. You want a hat of that *****hole of a team you call a football team, be my guest. Whatever you want.....I'll gladly take a Sac State hat and add it to my collection when you don't win FOUR games, let alone six. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Just wager him a can of Pam. xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
June 1st, 2008, 02:07 AM
Just wager him a can of Pam. xthumbsupx

pam or SPAM?xoopsx

graysky
June 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM
UofM may be on to something here. Montana may have to "bubble" their way into the playoffs but do not cry in your beer, Griz fans. Montana has real program strength and a long history of FCS dominance. By 2009, they will be kings of the Big Sky again, and do I do not see anyone taking this from the Griz in the near future. This is the beauty of not having to compete with 11 college football programs in the same state. After Montana and Montana State, there is no competition for athletes. Unlike McNeese State that competes with 12 Louisiana, Division 1 programs. By the time every want-to-be program, like the SWAC schools, Southeastern Louisiana and Nicholls put their hands in the talent-bowl, there is little remaining. This is why the McNeese Alumni is pushing for more recruiting in the "unadulterated North."
Go Griz! And Rematch McNeese vs Montana in 2009.

slostang
June 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM

I think we will be more like 7-5 or 8-4 overall and 5-3 or 6-2 in league only because 4 of our first 5 games are at home and playing 2 lower games early will help our confidence toward the meat of our schedule. In the last four years, we have scheduled so tough the first 4 games of the year that we were done after those games.

Sacto, I agree with all you say. I am only hoping that they will decide to play Cal Poly again. I like to have a few OOC games I can drive to.

SactoHornetFan
June 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Sacto, I agree with all you say. I am only hoping that they will decide to play Cal Poly again. I like to have a few OOC games I can drive to.

I want the Poly game back as well. The Green and Gold Bowl, as it is. Our AD just doesn't get it about this game. Sad.

Grizalltheway
June 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM
pam or SPAM?xoopsx

Pam, so they can grease themselves up like pigs again. xthumbsupx

CopperCat
June 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM

That's a rather lofty prediction given how underachieving Sac has been. Yes, they may have lost some close games last year, but they do that every year, not just last year. What's more is that Sac has one of the best recruiting bases (California obviously) and still somehow manages to self destruct during the season. I'm not smacking on Sac at all. What I'm saying is that a team doesn't go from a 3 win season to an 8 win season in the blink of an eye without some rather drastic changes happening (i.e. getting an absolute stud at QB, and a whole bunch of dropdowns). Sac will be improved from a playing standpoint IMO, but I don't necessarily think that will translate to a 7 or 8 win season.

slostang
June 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
That's a rather lofty prediction given how underachieving Sac has been. Yes, they may have lost some close games last year, but they do that every year, not just last year. What's more is that Sac has one of the best recruiting bases (California obviously) and still somehow manages to self destruct during the season. I'm not smacking on Sac at all. What I'm saying is that a team doesn't go from a 3 win season to an 8 win season in the blink of an eye without some rather drastic changes happening (i.e. getting an absolute stud at QB, and a whole bunch of dropdowns). Sac will be improved from a playing standpoint IMO, but I don't necessarily think that will translate to a 7 or 8 win season.

What Sac State has going for it this year is that they have had a change in leadership. The attitude around the football team has changed drastically under Marshall Sperbeck. They may not make it to 8 wins in 2008, but I think if they do not they will get there in the near future.

AZGrizFan
June 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
UofM may be on to something here. Montana may have to "bubble" their way into the playoffs but do not cry in your beer, Griz fans. Montana has real program strength and a long history of FCS dominance. By 2009, they will be kings of the Big Sky again, and do I do not see anyone taking this from the Griz in the near future. This is the beauty of not having to compete with 11 college football programs in the same state. After Montana and Montana State, there is no competition for athletes. Unlike McNeese State that competes with 12 Louisiana, Division 1 programs. By the time every want-to-be program, like the SWAC schools, Southeastern Louisiana and Nicholls put their hands in the talent-bowl, there is little remaining. This is why the McNeese Alumni is pushing for more recruiting in the "unadulterated North."

Brilliant post. Completely off the mark, but brilliant. McNeese may have "12 Lousiana Division I programs" to compete with, but let's look at the POPULATION BASE they have to work with. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the SE has approximately 12 times as many people as the NW. It's all relative. xthumbsupx

CopperCat
June 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
What Sac State has going for it this year is that they have had a change in leadership. The attitude around the football team has changed drastically under Marshall Sperbeck. They may not make it to 8 wins in 2008, but I think if they do not they will get there in the near future.

I agree that Coach Moosh was not the guy for the job hence the change in leadership will help. But the first year for a new coach generally doesn't warrant immediate success. People at MSU last year said that the attitude had changed dramatically and MSU went 6-5 with ALOT of returning talent. Granted there were some other factors in play, MSU still didn't do as well with a coach in his first year. Realistically, two to three years down the road is when you will see Sac make a real impact if they can recruit well.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
What I'm saying is that a team doesn't go from a 3 win season to an 8 win season in the blink of an eye without some rather drastic changes happening (i.e. getting an absolute stud at QB, and a whole bunch of dropdowns).

AAHHHHHHHEEEEEEEMMMMMMMM. *cough Eastern cough*xwhistlex

slostang
June 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
I agree that Coach Moosh was not the guy for the job hence the change in leadership will help. But the first year for a new coach generally doesn't warrant immediate success. People at MSU last year said that the attitude had changed dramatically and MSU went 6-5 with ALOT of returning talent. Granted there were some other factors in play, MSU still didn't do as well with a coach in his first year. Realistically, two to three years down the road is when you will see Sac make a real impact if they can recruit well.

This is Sperbeck's second year. Last year everything was new and the players were learning a whole new offense and defense. I expect the Hornets to make some big stides over last year. They may not get all the way to where they want to go as a program next year, but Sperbeck has them headed in the right direction.

McNeese75
June 1st, 2008, 07:38 PM

xconfusedx How about a link or something to support this comment? xrotatehx

catbob
June 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Sac and UM are two teams you always put in their respective places based on track records. UM is almost always on top, you just assume it. Sac has been on the bottom quite a bit, so until they prove otherwise, people will continue to pick you to finish last.

I hope Sperbeck can change it, I would love for a strong conference top to bottom year in and year out.

AZGrizFan
June 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Sac and UM are two teams you always put in their respective places based on track records. UM is almost always on top, you just assume it. Sac has been on the bottom quite a bit, so until they prove otherwise, people will continue to pick you to finish last.

I hope Sperbeck can change it, I would love for a strong conference top to bottom year in and year out.

Trust me, catbob....if the Griz don't win the conference, the talk around I-AA Land won't be about how somebody finally stepped up and beat down the Griz, it'll be "how much must the whole CONFERENCE suck if the Griz can't even win it".... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx It's a ****in' no-win situation.

Screamin_Eagle174
June 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Trust me, catbob....if the Griz don't win the conference, the talk around I-AA Land won't be about how somebody finally stepped up and beat down the Griz, it'll be "how much must the whole CONFERENCE suck if the Griz can't even win it".... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx It's a ****in' no-win situation.

Only until my Eagles paste them in the playoffs. xlolx

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Only until my Eagles paste them in the playoffs. xlolx

And what was I-AA-Land's immediate response to your pasting of the #2 team last year?

"Well, McNeese must have been overrated". xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Screamin_Eagle174
June 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
I wonder what everyone would have said had we beaten Appy. Would Appy be overrated, or would it be "just a fluke?" (Kind of like their win over Michigan)

already123
June 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I think McNeese is over-rated....EVERY YEAR!!

SideLine Shooter
June 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
I wonder what everyone would have said had we beaten Appy. Would Appy be overrated, or would it be "just a fluke?" (Kind of like their win over Michigan)

Since you brought it up, A WIN IS A WIN. How many times has ewu beat Michigan?xnodx xnodx

CopperCat
June 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Since you brought it up, A WIN IS A WIN. How many times has ewu beat Michigan?xnodx xnodx

xnonox xnonox HIJACK ALERT.xnonox xnonox

McNeese may have been overrated, but EWU played App as well as anybody last year. The Eagles peaked at the right time, they just didn't get all the points they needed. I really think EWU doesn't get enough credit for what it does. If there is a team from the BSC that is second only to the griz as far as top conference and playoff appearances in recent years, it is definitely EWU.

Grizzaholic

Can't you APP fans give it a ****ing rest for once damn day!!! You beat Michigan. Congrats were last year. Let it go. We all will remember it. We all know all about it.

AZGrizFan

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, the BSC is 1-3 against the SoCon in the last two years. They've got scoreboard. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoffeex

citdog
June 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
While I appreciate your enthusiasm, the BSC is 1-3 against the SoCon in the last two years. They've got scoreboard. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoffeex

Damn Straight! rep pts for your honesty Commander

SideLine Shooter
June 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM

xoutofrepx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

EWashEagle
June 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks FGT06...This is a cool board with lots of great info on D1AA! I cant get my Eastern Helmet to show up on my profile though?

SideLine Shooter
June 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Can't you APP fans give it a ****ing rest for once damn day!!! You beat Michigan. Congrats were last year. Let it go. We all will remember it. We all know all about it.

Your bud brought it up. He is definitely not an App fan. I just commented on his comment.

TOUCHY, AREN't WE!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Damn Straight! rep pts for your honesty Commander

xoutofrepx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

And while I appreciate YOU gentlemens' enthusiasm, I'm sure there's no one on any of the victorious teams (App State or Wofford), or on the losing team (Hofstra) that would tell you that the wins were EASY, or that the teams were "overrated". xcoffeex

Grizzaholic
June 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks FGT06...This is a cool board with lots of great info on FCS!

I fixed it for ya. You will be constantly reminded of that one on this board.

Welcome to AGS.

Grizzaholic
June 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Your bud brought it up. He is definitely not an App fan. I just commented on his comment.

TOUCHY, AREN't WE!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

When I read posts from App fans that always bring up the Michigan win or game in reference almost daily it gets really old. So, no I am not touchy, I am tired of reading about the Michigan game.

Really, how would you like to read about Montana's past accomplishments daily from every Griz poster.

uofmman1122
June 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Since you brought it up, A WIN IS A WIN. How many times has ewu beat Michigan?xnodx xnodxThis is a preseason and pre-playoff prediction thread. Not one of the 2,813 "OMG! Appy beat Michigan! Let's go have a circle jerk!" threads.

Let it go, already. xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
When I read posts from App fans that always bring up the Michigan win or game in reference almost daily it gets really old. So, no I am not touchy, I am tired of reading about the Michigan game.

Really, how would you like to read about Montana's past accomplishments daily from every Griz poster.

Probably not, but I'm sure he WOULD like to see a picture of Wa/Griz.... xnodx xnodx xnodx

SideLine Shooter
June 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM

Believe me, we do, and MSU too!!!

Get your facts straight. Your EWU bud Brought IT UP.. Some people can't handle the truth.

citdog
June 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM

would be better than having A PHOTO FROM EVERY POSSIBLE ANGLE of that stadium.xlolx

89Hen
June 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hey, you made your own bed. :p

SideLine Shooter
June 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
would be better than having A PHOTO FROM EVERY POSSIBLE ANGLE of that stadium.xlolx

xoutofrepx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM

Did you say you wanted a photo from every possible angle? Here's a few to get you started....

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/13035/thumb_IMG_1158.JPG (http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/displayimage.php?album=231&pos=0)

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/13035/normal_IMG_0887.JPG (javascript:;)

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/10551/normal_IMG_4159.jpg (javascript:;)

And here's one sure to give you a little bulldog stiffy....

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/10001/normal_lights1.jpg (javascript:;)

CopperCat
June 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks FGT06...This is a cool board with lots of great info on D1AA! I cant get my Eastern Helmet to show up on my profile though?

Go to User Control Panel from the pullup menu at the bottom of the page, then hit Edit Avatar.xthumbsupx

Grizzaholic
June 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
thank you for the pics AZ.

I Bleed Purple
June 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
I still can't get over how weird that hill looks.

putter
June 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
I still can't get over how weird that hill looks.

That "hill" is steep and rises about 3,000 feet from the valley. People take off in their hanggliders from to top. It is pretty cool.

P.S. --> Any of those professors going to get into trouble for protesting Bush at graduation?

I Bleed Purple
June 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
That "hill" is steep and rises about 3,000 feet from the valley. People take off in their hanggliders from to top. It is pretty cool.

P.S. --> Any of those professors going to get into trouble for protesting Bush at graduation?
See, when thinking of mountains near campus, this springs to mind

http://programs.weber.edu/nsf-reu/weber%20capmus.bmp

Ronbo
June 2nd, 2008, 04:32 PM
The hills directly behind the University used to be under water as well as the entire Missoula Valley. An ancient Lake they call Glacial Lake Missoula. It was 2000 feet deep. It was dammed by an immense glacier 2500 feet thick. Then the glacier finally gave way about 12,000 years ago and caused a flood that carved gorges and valleys all the way to Oregon and Washington. If you look carefully at the picture you'll see horizontal errosion lines which used to be the shorelines.

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/userpics/13035/normal_IMG_0887.JPG

Here is a what the lake used to look like. An artist rendering.

http://www.glaciallakemissoula.org/assets/pix/OPB/Glacial%20Lake.jpg

http://www.glaciallakemissoula.org/story.html

Note that the famous Columbia River Gorge was formed.

http://www.glaciallakemissoula.org/assets/maps/vt_map.jpg

Columbia River Gorge

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=79531&rendTypeId=4

Big Al
June 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM

Reading all this talk about App St beating Michigan and Wa/Griz stadium is giving me horrible visions of a WA/GRIZ STADIUM BEATS MICHIGAN thread...

I Bleed Purple
June 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
The mountains directly behind the University used to be under water as well as the entire Wasatch Front. An ancient Lake they call Lake Bonneville. It was 1000+ feet deep. It was dammed by overlapping alluvial fans. Then the fans finally gave way about 14,500 years ago and caused unique geological areas throughout Utah and Nevada. If you look casually at the picture you'll see horizontal errosion lines which used to be the shorelines.

(Bolded are minor things I changed)

http://programs.weber.edu/nsf-reu/weber%20capmus.bmp

Estimated shoreline of Lake Bonneville

http://www.ugs.state.ut.us/online/PI-39/images/pi39-01.gif

Mount Ogden at sunset.

http://p.webshots.com/ProThumbs/76/61676_wallpaper280.jpg

There's the stadium and campus down there. See the parking lot to the right of the stadium?

http://physics.weber.edu/images/Faculty_Search/cragsandwsu.jpg

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Reading all this talk about App St beating Michigan and Wa/Griz stadium is giving me horrible visions of a WA/GRIZ STADIUM BEATS MICHIGAN thread...

No, but how about a Wa/Griz Stadium beats The Big House thread???

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/rotatingimages/stadiums_and_facilities/wgs_1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/52/TheBigHouse.jpg/300px-TheBigHouse.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TheBigHouse.jpg)

It's like a little mini-me.... :D

Sir William
June 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Being in SoCon country, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll try to answer the original question of this thread as thoughtfully as I know how. Here goes...

1. Montana
2. Does it really matter?

AZGrizFan
June 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Being in SoCon country, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll try to answer the original question of this thread as thoughtfully as I know how. Here goes...

1. Montana

I don't know....ask McNeese State if it matters. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Better yet...ask Hofstra if it mattered in 2006?

EWashEagle
June 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks FGT06, done!!

McNeese75
June 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
I don't know....ask McNeese State if it matters. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Better yet...ask Hofstra if it mattered in 2006?

xlolx You got a lot of room to laugh there AZ

cats2506
June 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM

1. Montana

Did it matter to Furman in 2006?

AZGrizFan
June 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
xlolx You got a lot of room to laugh there AZ

Hey...we weren't playing the second place team from a weak-ass conference though...BIG difference. GRIZ fans knew about EWU....but remember, the BSC is soft, right? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx All I'm sayin' is, everybody thinks EWU/BSC was soft, except McNeese! xnodx xnodx xnodx

AZGrizFan
June 3rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Did it matter to Furman in 2006?

And McNeese in 2007? xthumbsupx

putter
June 3rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Hey...we weren't playing the second place team from a weak-ass conference though...BIG difference. GRIZ fans knew about EWU....but remember, the BSC is soft, right? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx All I'm sayin' is, everybody thinks EWU/BSC was soft, except McNeese! xnodx xnodx xnodx

If you remember AZ, we posted many times before that game that EWU was a very dangerous team that people should respect. They proved it on the field and then gave App all they could handle..but the Big Sky is weak..xsmiley_wix

Actually the Big Sky teams have given App three tough games in the last two years. That should count for something...right Hen?

AZGrizFan
June 4th, 2008, 02:22 AM
If you remember AZ, we posted many times before that game that EWU was a very dangerous team that people should respect. They proved it on the field and then gave App all they could handle..but the Big Sky is weak..xsmiley_wix

Actually the Big Sky teams have given App three tough games in the last two years. That should count for something...right Hen?

putter, everyone from Hen on down will tell you that EWU's win over McNeese don't mean squat because MCNEESE was OVERRATED!!! See, that's how it works...Delaware gets a cupcake about like playing UNC (in Delaware State), but it's MCNEESE that's overrated....I mean what else could be the possible explanation for them getting waxed by the second place team from a weak-ass conference???? There IS no other explanation....couldn't be that EWU was actually GOOD!!! Heaven forbid!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

DuckDuckGriz
June 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM
And McNeese in 2007? xthumbsupx

Or Southern Illinois in 2004
or McNeese State in 2003?

CopperCat
June 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Don't leave out NAU. They had a year where they were the giant slayers too.xnodx

Peems
June 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I will only "predict" the Griz as that is the only team I know enough about. I'll make some "educated guesses" about the others.

First off I think this is the year the Griz miss the playoffs, if they make it, it will be because we were on the cusp and because of our tradition. I see the Griz losing to Cal Poly, EWU, PSU and a tossup during Cat/Griz. The three games I mentioned are all away and we struggled with EWU and PSU last year.

I think EWU will win the conference, they may have a new coach but they still be running the same offense and still have Nichols and friends.

PSU could be good, but I think that they will beat the Griz due to the lack of corners the Griz have and we cannot win a shootout.

If Weber builds on what they had and can put Offense and Defense together they could be the darkhorse. Overall here's what I see

1.EWU
2.WSU
2-T. UM
3. MSU
4. NAU
5. PSU
6. ISU
7.UNC
8. Sac St

I'm extremely unsure at this point(and that's the only thing I'm sure of! ;))

CopperCat
June 8th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I will only "predict" the Griz as that is the only team I know enough about. I'll make some "educated guesses" about the others.

First off I think this is the year the Griz miss the playoffs, if they make it, it will be because we were on the cusp and because of our tradition. I see the Griz losing to Cal Poly, EWU, PSU and a tossup during Cat/Griz. The three games I mentioned are all away and we struggled with EWU and PSU last year.

I think EWU will win the conference, they may have a new coach but they still be running the same offense and still have Nichols and friends.

PSU could be good, but I think that they will beat the Griz due to the lack of corners the Griz have and we cannot win a shootout.

If Weber builds on what they had and can put Offense and Defense together they could be the darkhorse. Overall here's what I see

1.EWU
2.WSU
2-T. UM
3. MSU
4. NAU
5. PSU
6. ISU
7.UNC
8. Sac St

I'm extremely unsure at this point(and that's the only thing I'm sure of! ;))

So you're saying that WSU and EWU would probably be the two teams getting in from the BSC? xchinscratchx

Possible, but not probable (IMO). I see WSU at 3rd or 4th with UM at 2nd.

Peems
June 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM
So you're saying that WSU and EWU would probably be the two teams getting in from the BSC? xchinscratchx

Possible, but not probable (IMO). I see WSU at 3rd or 4th with UM at 2nd.

I definitely think Eastern will come out on top. Weber is my super top secret pick.;) I think any number of the following teams could be second to Eastern: MSU, UM, WSU, NAU, and maybe even PSU.

The strength of the Griz the best few years has been defense and next year I do not think our D will be strong enough to support our O.

MSU: Not having a QB right now sets them back in my view but that all could change as Coach Ash is slowly getting the program to his mold.

WSU: They seemed to be putting it together at the end of the year and have Smith in the backfield, and I just think they have a chance.

NAU: Kriesen is good, but the biggest problem I always see with NAU is consistency. They could be good, but I honestly have no clue.

PSU: They score a lot of points(that's all I got)

PSUVikings
June 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I don't see Portland State even sniffing at the title. They grossly underachieved last year & have now lost most of the good players from that team. Even last place for the Vikes wouldn't shock me.

I agree but dead last is a bit biased. We are bad but not THAT bad, we return most of our defense and some key players on offense, not to mention some transfers at WR. I don't expect anything more then 6 wins but last place in just ridiculous.

already123
June 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
NAUs success will depend on the play of their O/D-line...

DuckDuckGriz
June 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I agree but dead last is a bit biased. We are bad but not THAT bad, we return most of our defense and some key players on offense, not to mention some transfers at WR. I don't expect anything more then 6 wins but last place in just ridiculous.

I gotta agree, and wasn't PSU a fairly young team? Once they got their offense more finely tuned and DEFENSE figured out I think they will be a threat. I actually expect the Viks to finish no lower than fourth. They will win a few big games this year, and I am nervous for when the Griz head back to PGE.

I Bleed Purple
June 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I definitely think Eastern will come out on top. Weber is my super top secret pick.;) I think any number of the following teams could be second to Eastern: MSU, UM, WSU, NAU, and maybe even PSU.

The strength of the Griz the best few years has been defense and next year I do not think our D will be strong enough to support our O.

MSU: Not having a QB right now sets them back in my view but that all could change as Coach Ash is slowly getting the program to his mold.

WSU: They seemed to be putting it together at the end of the year and have Smith in the backfield, and I just think they have a chance.

NAU: Kriesen is good, but the biggest problem I always see with NAU is consistency. They could be good, but I honestly have no clue.

Can they be mine, too?

AZGrizFan
June 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I predict UM finds a way to beat EWU, and slips by a vastly improved WSU and Sac State. UM runs the table, EWU finishes second and gets an at-large bid. UM gets a home game but loses to an option squad from down South, while EWU rolls over an overrated SLC team, then loses a close game to the eventual NC.

Wait. I'm sorry. That was LAST year. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

mvemjsunpx
June 10th, 2008, 01:51 AM

I don't think PSU is that bad, but the bottom of the league looks to be quite improved over the last couple years.

Ronbo
June 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM

This spring the Griz Defense totally stifled the Offense. The new LB's looked great, the Safeties are experienced, the D-Line looks better than ever. Remember that DC Kraig Paulson platoons the 1st and 2nd strings every season about 60%-40%. So any backups stepping in have plenty of game experience.