PDA

View Full Version : Big South Preseason Predictions

Hoseinexile07
May 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM
1. Liberty. That's pretty much a given. xbangx
2. PC. If we beat Coastal [which I'm calling]. xthumbsupx
3. Coastal. I wanna see another intra-team brawl on the sidelines this year! xarguex
4. Stony Brook. They're certainly better than the bottom three I listed. xcoolx
5. Gardner-Webb. They beat both VMI and CSU last season. xasswhipx
6. CSUcks. No way we lose to them this year, especially because Webb will be starting. xnonox
7. VMI. Sorry, guys, but we smoked y'all last year and I don't see too much improvement for y'all this season. xbawlingx

I hate that PC doesn't get to play Stony Brook. xoopsx

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Just a shot in the dark.

1. Liberty
2. Coastal Carolina
3. Gardner-Webb
4. Charleston Southern
5. Presbyterian
6. VMI
7. Stony Brook

danefan
May 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
1. Liberty
2. Stony Brook (way underrated)
3. Coastal
4. Presby
5. VMI
6. Gardner-Webb
7. Chuck South

CSUBUCDAD
May 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'll just sit back and eat my popcorn and smile. Those of you basing your predictions based on who you THINK is coming back are in for a rude awakening. That is all I will say for now.

danefan
May 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'll just sit back and eat my popcorn and smile. Those of you basing your predictions based on who you THINK is coming back are in for a rude awakening. That is all I will say for now.

How else would you base predictions?
Spill the beans BUCDAD! xthumbsupx

CoastalFan2005
May 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. We hear this from Buc fans every year. What's funny is that every year, the Bucs are the ones who wind up with the rude awakening. xrolleyesx

Hoseinexile07
May 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Smallcollege and danefan:

Everyone's entitled to his own opinion, but c'mon! We dismantled VMI last year in front of all its alumni on homecoming. There's no way we lose to that squad this year! xthumbsupx

...or any other year.

danefan
May 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Everyone's entitled to his own opinion, but c'mon! We dismantled VMI last year in front of all its alumni on homecoming. There's no way we lose to that squad this year! xthumbsupx

...or any other year.

I'll give you that. That was an oversight by me.

Adjusted above.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2008, 06:02 PM

...or any other year.

I have seen a team get destroyed one year and then beat that same team the next year. I adjusted it because like I said earlier it was a shot in the dark. xthumbsupx

catamount man
May 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM
1) Liberty
2) Chuck South
3) Coastal
4) Presbyterian
5) Stony Brook
6) Gardner-Webb
7) VMI (Sparky will get 'em good in a few years IMO)

SuperJon
May 28th, 2008, 07:22 PM
1. Liberty
2. Coastal
3. G-Webb
4. Stony Brook
5. CSU
6. PC
7. VMI

Coastal could compete with us for the title if Childers is the QB. With MacDowell, I don't think they'll be as good. Their offense needs a duel threat QB to really be scary. Stony Brook will surprise people. PC had too much coaching turnover and their QB is coming back from a broken neck. VMI has a new staff and was terrible last year.

I don't think there's any way Coastal finishes below second. Everyone's been saying G-W was going to contend for a few years and they haven't proven anything.

People took PC for granted last year and over looked them. That won't happen again. Add to that the complete coaching turnover and not caring about the defense and it's the recipe for struggling.

CSU will have no defense, but their offense should definitely be better than last year. They're going to put points up. The problem will be stopping other people from putting points up.

Seawolf97
May 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Just a shot in the -but Stonybrook, Liberty and Coastal will be in it for the title early. We have CSU, GWU and VMI all at home this year not easy for any of them.

zilla
May 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM
1. Liberty
2. Coastal
3. G-Webb
4. Stony Brook
5. CSU
6. PC
7. VMI

Coastal could compete with us for the title if Childers is the QB. With MacDowell, I don't think they'll be as good. Their offense needs a duel threat QB to really be scary. Stony Brook will surprise people. PC had too much coaching turnover and their QB is coming back from a broken neck. VMI has a new staff and was terrible last year.

I don't think there's any way Coastal finishes below second. Everyone's been saying G-W was going to contend for a few years and they haven't proven anything.

People took PC for granted last year and over looked them. That won't happen again. Add to that the complete coaching turnover and not caring about the defense and it's the recipe for struggling.

CSU will have no defense, but their offense should definitely be better than last year. They're going to put points up. The problem will be stopping other people from putting points up.

Coastal will be much improved. We have nine starters returning on offense & also nine on defense. I'm not predicting a Big South championship, but we'll definately be in the mix.

With that said, SuperJon's analysis is pretty accurate. IMO, the league title will probably be decided on October 4th in Conway.

kirkblitz
May 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
1: Coastal
2: Liberty
3: PC
4: Stony
5: Gwebb
6: VMI
7: CSU

Seawolf97
May 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
It's going to be funxpeacex

Sly Fox
May 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM
It really is tough to know what to expect from SB since we know so little about them. That is similar to Presby last fall with their new staff.

I think most everyone agrees that LU & CCU are the favorites once we set aside all of our allegiances. But after that I could see SB or G-W right in the mix if everything falls their way (a la CSU in '06).

OLDLCOACH111
May 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
1: Liberty
2: Gwebb
3: Coastal
4: Stony
5: PC
6: VMI
7: CSU

scbc
May 31st, 2008, 06:31 PM
GWU only lost two players on defensive and three players on offensive. Don't be surprised if the "Running Bulldog" win the Big South this year!
From what I heard they have some players on offensive that can go get it and the defense is flying to the ball.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Gardner-Webb........ 11 1849 1946 796 3795 4.8 31 345.0
2. Liberty............. 11 1413 2429 791 3842 4.9 32 349.3
3. Coastal Carolina.... 11 2408 1555 689 3963 5.8 38 360.3
4. Charleston Southern. 11 2139 2225 808 4364 5.4 45 396.7
5. VMI................. 11 2250 2518 660 4768 7.2 58 433.5

Defensive stats for the 2007 year, after playing Ohio U, Miss State, App State and Wofford. GWU was number 1 in the Big South for total defensive.

SideLine Shooter
May 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM
1-Flamers
2-GW dogs
3-PC hosers
4-CCU beachchickens
5-SB
6-The Army
7-The other school in Charleston

scbc
June 1st, 2008, 09:20 AM
I just wonder if Liberty can have another successful year like they had in 07 after losing a lot of transfers to graduation or will the go back to being the Liberty of the past?

GWU will be kinda of young again but got to find someone to replace Johnson on defensive and flager on offensive.

I can see Coastal Carolina being in the hunt this year if they can actually have team chemistry and not blow up like they did vs PC last year.

Charleston Southern is looking to follow in the footsteps of Liberty program plan in which they are bring in some juco players no D-1 transfers like Liberty for a quick fix. That could be a good thing or bad thing.

SuperJon
June 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
I just wonder if Liberty can have another successful year like they had in 07 after losing a lot of transfers to graduation or will the go back to being the Liberty of the past?

You obviously know nothing about Liberty. Liberty returns 11 all-conference players, including the BSC Offensive Player of the Year. We return more all-conference players than any other team in the Big South had total, including their seniors. We were the biggest, strongest, and fastest team in the league last year and the returning players have just had another off-season under the best strength coach in the conference while using the best strength equipment in the conference. Our coaching staff also won Coach of the Year two years in a row.

I think we're going to be successful again. If we don't win it, I can tell you one thing, we'll be nowhere near the Liberty of the past.

SuperJon
June 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
GWU only lost two players on defensive and three players on offensive. Don't be surprised if the "Running Bulldog" win the Big South this year!
From what I heard they have some players on offensive that can go get it and the defense is flying to the ball.

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plys Yards Avg TD Yds/G
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Gardner-Webb........ 11 1849 1946 796 3795 4.8 31 345.0
2. Liberty............. 11 1413 2429 791 3842 4.9 32 349.3
3. Coastal Carolina.... 11 2408 1555 689 3963 5.8 38 360.3
4. Charleston Southern. 11 2139 2225 808 4364 5.4 45 396.7
5. VMI................. 11 2250 2518 660 4768 7.2 58 433.5

Defensive stats for the 2007 year, after playing Ohio U, Miss State, App State and Wofford. GWU was number 1 in the Big South for total defensive.

You know, those stats are great and all, but you forget to include the defensive stat that is most important: Points Allowed. G-W finished third in Points allowed in 2007 in conference play.

CCU: 22
Liberty: 22.6
G-W: 23.75
CSU: 37
VMI: 47

justsaying
June 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
You know, those stats are great and all, but you forget to include the defensive stat that is most important: Points Allowed. G-W finished third in Points allowed in 2007 in conference play.

GW also committed more turnovers than most of the teams in the conference, which can put a burden on a defense. Only losing 2 starters, I feel they are arguably the top returning defense in the conference.

SuperJon
June 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
It obviously didn't matter last year since, while they were holding people to less yardage, they were giving up more points than two of the teams. It looks great on paper when you hold a team to 200 yards of offense but if they're starting on the 50 every time and scoring, those 200 yards don't matter.

scbc
June 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
I guess the staff would be coaching staff of the year twice after winning one game in 2005 to winning 6 games and winning the conference in 2007 with all the transfers! I wonder what other team in the conference that have had that many D-1 transfers on one team?

I'm not taking anything away from liberty they had a good team last year and played a weaker schedule than some of the other teams in the conference. Don't go acting like Liberty have actually had much football success in the past. They may have one more good year but I'm not sure how successful they will be after that

Looking at the record books, which team in the Big South never ever had a losing season in the conference?

Hoseinexile07
June 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Looking at the record books, which team in the Big South never ever had a losing season in the conference?

Presbyterian :D

scbc
June 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Ha you're right but they are not a full member just yet! Looking at the record books, it's GWU!

SuperJon
June 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
I guess the staff would be coaching staff of the year twice after winning one game in 2005 to winning 6 games and winning the conference in 2007 with all the transfers! I wonder what other team in the conference that have had that many D-1 transfers on one team?

I'm not taking anything away from liberty they had a good team last year and played a weaker schedule than some of the other teams in the conference. Don't go acting like Liberty have actually had much football success in the past. They may have one more good year but I'm not sure how successful they will be after that

We're putting more money in the program, have by-far the best facilities, and the best coaching staff in the league. Transfers or not, we didn't break any rules, we just beat you with the players that wanted to play for us.

As for never having a losing season in conference, that's fine and all, but the past is the past. The fact remains we return the better team, and your transfer whining will continue for years to come. Coach Rocco believes that to be elite you have to have a combination of transfers and recruits. You can play the high and mighty, "You're only good because of transfers" card but the truth is you would accept those players in a heart beat if they could find Gardner-Webb on the map. We beat you 31-0 on your senior day when you could've won the conference championship with a win. That alone shows the difference in the two programs right now.

The Gadfly
June 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
PC
Liberty
VMI
SB
G-Dubb
Cuba
Coastal
CSU

Thumper250
June 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
An unbiased look:

1. Liberty (and it won't be a close race, again)
2. Stony Brook (they are much better than most realize)
3. Coastal Carolina (ditto, Eric O'Neal will produce big)
4. Gardner-Webb (deeper team, better OL, they'll compete)

---
5. Presbyterian (great passing game will keep them close)
6. Charleston Southern (must avoid the injury bug)
7. VMI (new system, good coach though).

I am hopeful that my Bulldogs can finish closer to second than fourth. If the OL is better (and it should be), then Doolittle will be much more effective at QB. He's finally healthy, so I'm told.

Defensively, they did lose a horse in Johnston, but they'll be better. More active and athletic at all spots other than DE. Linebacker is a strong spot with Jeff Williams and Mario Brown. I heard rumors they switched to a 3-3-5 stack deal, but haven't been able to confirm with anyone.

CarolinaGirl
June 2nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
1) Liberty
2) Chuck South
3) Coastal
4) Presbyterian
5) Stony Brook
6) Gardner-Webb
7) VMI (Sparky will get 'em good in a few years IMO)

Ouch Cat, you put CSUcks above Coastal. That hurts :(
My inability to decide between 1 and 2 leaves me with:
1. Liberty
2. Coastal
(although I will happily switch the two around)
3. G Dubb
4. Stony Brook - although I know very little at this time about them, I expect to learn quickly
5. PC
6. VMI
7. Chuck South

Seawolf97
June 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Ouch Cat, you put CSUcks above Coastal. That hurts :(
My inability to decide between 1 and 2 leaves me with:
1. Liberty
2. Coastal
(although I will happily switch the two around)
3. G Dubb
4. Stony Brook - although I know very little at this time about them, I expect to learn quickly
5. PC
6. VMI
7. Chuck South

I would put Stonybrook right in the mix with Liberty and Coastal-wewill be therexnodx

CSUBUCDAD
June 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
An unbiased look:

6. Charleston Southern (must avoid the injury bug)

This is EXACTLY what the problem was last year. Key injuries at key positions. HOWEVER, with this last signing class Mills has solidified a bonafied
2 deep on both sides of the ball and they are coming off their first full year with a full time strength and conditioning coach. If the spring game is any indication of what is to come, the BUCS will compete for the Big South title. Only problem I saw was replacing Ellis kicking. Need to find one and fast.

SuperJon
June 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Having the strength coach for a year should cut down injuries. I still think CSU's problem is going to be stopping the other team. They'll be able to score, but can they stop the other team from scoring?

bjtheflamesfan
June 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
1. Liberty
2. G-W
3. Coastal
4. Stony Brook
5. PC
6. CSU
7. VMI

I think the title is Liberty's to lose this year and I also think that 2-4 and 5-7 could easily be in different orders come November. SB is an unknown to the teams in this conference and could finish as high as #2 ahead of Coastal and G-W as for the bottom half, I really think itll be between CSU and VMI for the bottom just because of the kind of teams that are in the top half

chantman
June 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
This is EXACTLY what the problem was last year. Key injuries at key positions. HOWEVER, with this last signing class Mills has solidified a bonafied
2 deep on both sides of the ball and they are coming off their first full year with a full time strength and conditioning coach. If the spring game is any indication of what is to come, the BUCS will compete for the Big South title. Only problem I saw was replacing Ellis kicking. Need to find one and fast.

You couldn't run the ball in your own spring game. What makes you think you'll run against CCU, LU and GWU?

CSUBUCDAD
June 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
You couldn't run the ball in your own spring game. What makes you think you'll run against CCU, LU and GWU?

Maybe the defense ain't as weak against the run as people think they are going to be.

scbc
June 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Liberty deserves the number 1 spot in the conference but looking at the conference teams there going to be some upsets!

Seawolf97
June 3rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
A good measure for Stonybrook will be Elon on 9/6 at Stonybrook. I think this game and the Liberty game will be our two toughest this season.

IaaScribe
June 3rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Just as a point of reference, Presbyterian will not be included in the league standings and is not considered a league game. They'll only play five conference games (no Stony Brook.)

IndianaAppMan
June 4th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I apologize if this is a bit off-topic, but I could use some clarification.

As I understand it now, Stony Brook left the NEC because the NEC didn't have an autobid to the playoffs. Now that the Big South and the NEC both have autobids, how much sense does it make for a college on Long Island to be in the Big SOUTH? Despite some similarities, I wouldn't even say SB in the Big South is analagous to Boston College being in the ACC because increased travel costs to southern states won't hurt a larger-budget school the way it might for SB.

Did Stony Brook want to be in a league that allowed for more scholarships, or is there another reason?

Thanks in advance to those who can help clear this up for me.

IaaScribe
June 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Stony Brook wanted to be in a league with more scholarships. Furthermore, without Stony Brook, the Big South would not have recieved an automatic bid. Presbyterian isn't eligible until 2011.

IndianaAppMan
June 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Wow! I didn't realize PC was ineligible for that long. To my knowledge, NDSU didn't have to wait that long. Is this because of the moratorium from the NCAA?

IndianaAppMan
June 4th, 2008, 04:29 PM
By the way, Kramer, that's a nice pic you have there.

Seawolf97
June 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Stony Brook wanted to be in a league with more scholarships. Furthermore, without Stony Brook, the Big South would not have recieved an automatic bid. Presbyterian isn't eligible until 2011.

Exactly. Stonybrook made the move with the NEC at a 30 scholarship limit.That may change for the NEC this month if they go to 40 but Stonybrook elected to go to the max 63 scholarships.
I know it seems like alot of traveling and it is but being in the Big South has helped with recruiting and gives Stonybrook an opportunity to play full scholarship teams on a regular basis.

IaaScribe
June 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM
And from what I understand, it's a four-year contract with SBU that gets the Big South through to the time that PC will be eligible. When it's up, the two parties will re-visit the deal. Maybe the NEC will be fully scholly by then. Maybe America East football will be a reality. Either way, both sides are getting something from this short-term deal.

Also, Kramer is not a pimp!

Seawolf97
June 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM
And from what I understand, it's a four-year contract with SBU that gets the Big South through to the time that PC will be eligible. When it's up, the two parties will re-visit the deal. Maybe the NEC will be fully scholly by then. Maybe America East football will be a reality. Either way, both sides are getting something from this short-term deal.

There You Go !xthumbsupx

IndianaAppMan
June 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM

What?xconfusedx

IaaScribe
June 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
From the episode when he gets arrested, as he's going to jail, he screams, "I'm not a pimp!"

g-webb1994
June 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Eligible or not, here goes:

1. Coastal
2. Liberty
3. G-Webb
4. PC
5. Stony Brook
6. VMI
7. Charleston Southern (even losing their hottest cheerleader I know)

G-W having Coastal and PC at home helps, I think we split those two, but Liberty and SB get us on the road. I'm still not sold on Doolittle or the way he and his daddy were brought into G-W.

Also, if G-W flounders around the .500 mark again, it may be time to let Patton go ahead and retire and give the reigns over to Joe Pizzo. Pizzo and the staff do all the dirty work anyway, while Patton goes gambling in Las Vegas.xnonono2x

CSUBUCDAD
June 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Eligible or not, here goes:

1. Coastal
2. Liberty
3. G-Webb
4. PC
5. Stony Brook
6. VMI

G-W having Coastal and PC at home helps, I think we split those two, but Liberty and SB get us on the road. I'm still not sold on Doolittle or the way he and his daddy were brought into G-W.

Also, if G-W flounders around the .500 mark again, it may be time to let Patton go ahead and retire and give the reigns over to Joe Pizzo. Pizzo and the staff do all the dirty work anyway, while Patton goes gambling in Las Vegas.xnonono2x

Keep drinking the koolaidxsmiley_wix

CCU97
June 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
1. Coastal (will surprise a lot of people this year....new QB and that was the problem last year)
2. Liberty(will be a close second and could end up 1st)
3. G-Webb (will be a tough team at home this year)
4. PC (lots of points and little D)
5. Stony Brook (New Kids on the Block but could make some noise!)
6. Charleston Southern (They have a football team j/k)
7. VMI (see above)

scbc
June 8th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I'm just curious; who do Coastal have coming back to be the play maker like Simpson was at WR? I know they have O'neal back at RB. Is m.norman back at DB?

Libertine
June 9th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Is m.norman back at DB?

He was a r-Jr in '07 so, presumably, yes.

CCU97
June 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm just curious; who do Coastal have coming back to be the play maker like Simpson was at WR? I know they have O'neal back at RB. Is m.norman back at DB?

Simpson wasn't much of a playmaker last year...it was because we had a horrible QB....we will be a more balanced O this year and the D will be much stronger.

ElonPride
June 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
1. Liberty - These guys will be pretty good and will be looking for payback against Elon this coming season
2. Stony Brook - Tougher than most think
3. Presbyterian - Good coach, good passing game
4. CCU - Tough to guage

****** No comments for these teams
5. Gardner-Webb
6. VMI
7. Charleston Southern

Liberty fans, will Smith be your starting QB this season? In the 2nd half at Elon, he seemed to be more composed and looked to be a fairly solid QB.

SuperJon
June 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Yea, Brock's back this year. After the Elon game, they switched up his pregame routine and he really seemed to excel. Yes, I know it was lesser competition a lot of the time, but he was just better after that.

OLDLCOACH111
June 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Gardner-Webb Defense can’t help but get better... They finish # 36 in the nation in total defense last season.. That was after finishing #100 something a year before..

They return two of the top three tacklers in the conference With All Big South and Defensive freshman of the year Jeffrey Williams 120 T.....as well as 2 times All Big South and 2 time All American Mario Brown 104 T........ In fact.. Out of the top 8 returning tacklers from last season, three of them are from the starting GWU LB corps With 1. J. Williams 2. M. Brown and 8. Q. Jackson..

Gardner Webb is also returning 3 time All Big South safety Daniel Cooke, and 2 Time All big South Cornerback Cedric McGowan who was also an Honorable mention all American last year.
Their D line will be solid with a mix of returning players. Baker 36 tackles. Isom 28 tackles Hudson 24 tackles Daye 20 tackles..

Here is how I see it..

1. LU
2. GWU
3. CC
4. STONYB
5. PC
6. VMI
7. CSU

csuBUC06
June 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM

csu hasn't had a hot cheerleader since Ally left a few years back...