PDA

View Full Version : What is your 2008 CAA Prediction?

JmuSkinsfan
May 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Just saw the SoCon thread...might as well do a CAA thread...

NORTH:
UNH: 7-1
UMass: 5-3
Hofstra: 3-5
Maine: 2-6
NE: 1-7
URI: 0-8

SOUTH:
JMU: 7-1
UR: 6-2
'Nova: 6-2
UD: 5-3
W&M: 4-4
Towson: 2-6

The south is much better than the north IMO. It will probably be another year where you see 1 from the north and 3 from the south in the playoffs. UD has the toughest schedule and I think they might be the odd man out in the south...while UNH has the easiest schedule and I think whoever wins the UMASS UNH game in the fall will be the north's representative...

I just went through each team's schedule and made "predictions" for every game of the season. The above is my revised one. I was actually surprised by UNH...I knew they had a weak schedule but I had no idea it was that weak. Of course...as we discover every year...the level of parody in CAA towards the end of the season is nuts...with teams like northeastern and rhode island taking down the Umass and UNH of the world...So i'm sure the gap will close a bit between UNH and, say, URI, but this is just how i see things now.

WrenFGun
May 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I agree with you. Unless there are two teams from the North that are 6-2 or better, I'd expect only one to get in. JMU and UR seem like mortal locks, to me. I like Nova's chances, too. I don't think UD has a very good shot unless 'Nova flops.

I think Maine is better than Northeastern, and wouldn't be surprised if they went 4-4 in the CAA.

mainejeff
May 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM
North:

UMass 6-2
Maine 5-3
UNH 3-5
Hofstra 3-5
URI 2-6
Northeastern 1-7

South:

Delaware 7-1
JMU 6-2
Villanova 5-3
Richmond 4-4
William & Mary 2-6
Towson 1-7

WrenFGun
May 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
UNH is going to lose 5 of 8 games to the following schedule: (UMass, Maine, Hofstra, URI, Northeastern, Towson, W&M, Villanova)? I don't know if I believe that, even if you expect enormous regression from Santos to Toman.

Black Saturday
May 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
North:

UMass 6-2
Maine 5-3
UNH 3-5
Hofstra 3-5
URI 2-6
Northeastern 1-7

South:

Delaware 7-1
JMU 6-2
Villanova 5-3
Richmond 4-4
William & Mary 2-6
Towson 1-7

Why the fall for UR? New Coach?

UNHWildCats
May 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Just saw the SoCon thread...might as well do a CAA thread...

NORTH:
UNH: 7-1
UMass: 5-3
Hofstra: 3-5
Maine: 2-6
NE: 1-7
URI: 0-8

SOUTH:
JMU: 7-1
UR: 6-2
'Nova: 6-2
UD: 5-3
W&M: 4-4
Towson: 2-6

The south is much better than the north IMO. It will probably be another year where you see 1 from the north and 3 from the south in the playoffs. UD has the toughest schedule and I think they might be the odd man out in the south...while UNH has the easiest schedule and I think whoever wins the UMASS UNH game in the fall will be the north's representative...

I just went through each team's schedule and made "predictions" for every game of the season. The above is my revised one. I was actually surprised by UNH...I knew they had a weak schedule but I had no idea it was that weak. Of course...as we discover every year...the level of parody in CAA towards the end of the season is nuts...with teams like northeastern and rhode island taking down the Umass and UNH of the world...So i'm sure the gap will close a bit between UNH and, say, URI, but this is just how i see things now.

I love you! :D

Blue Hen Nation
May 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
North:

UMass 6-2
Maine 5-3
UNH 3-5
Hofstra 3-5
URI 2-6
Northeastern 1-7

South:

Delaware 7-1
JMU 6-2
Villanova 5-3
Richmond 4-4
William & Mary 2-6
Towson 1-7

Delaware has one hell of sked and will not end up 7-1.

JmuSkinsfan
May 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I think by seasons end you will have JMU with a seed, UNH, UR and Villanova locks for the playoffs. Then we will be faced with the debate AGAIN, as to whether or not a 5th team from the CAA should be let in.

For final records (I did the whole schedules but just posted the CAA results), I have both UD and UMass sitting at 8-4. I have UMass beating UD in Amherst, so my guess would be if a 5th CAA team is taken it would be UMass over UD.

I have JMU at 9-2 (I don't know who we will beat but I have us splitting with Duke and App. State. I like our chances at home vs Appy though for some revenge).
I have Villanova (8-3), UR (9-3) and UNH (9-2) as well

North:
UNH: 9-2 (7-1) .... Losses to Villanova and Army
UMass: 8-4 (5-3) .... Losses to JMU, Texas Tech, Richmond and UNH
Hofstra: 6-6 (3-5) .... Losses to UCONN, JMU, Delaware, UNH, Richmond, and UMass
Maine: 5-7 (2-6) .... Losses to Iowa, Richmond, JMU, Delaware, Hosftra, UMass and UNH
NE: 2-10 (1-7) ... Losses to Ball St., GSU, Syracuse, Towson, Umass, UNH, Maine, Villanova, W&M, Hofstra
URI: 2-10 (0-8) ....Losses to Fordham, UNH, Hofstra, BC, Towson, Villanova, W&M, Maine, Umass, Northeastern

South:
JMU: 9-2 (7-1) ... Losses to Duke, Villanova
'Nova: 8-3 (6-2) ... Losses to WVU, W&M and Delaware
UR: 9-3 (6-2) ... Losses to UVA, Villanova, JMU
UD: 8-4 (5-3) ... Losses to UMD, UMass, JMU, Richmond
W&M: 6-5 (4-4) ... Losses to NC State, UNH, Delaware, JMU, Richmond
Towson: 5-7 (2-6) .... Losses to Navy, Richmond, UNH, W&M, Delaware, Villanova, JMU

UNHWildCats
May 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
you dont think even one of the FBS games will be won?

ericsaid
May 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I don't know much on what's all going on in the CAA but if I had to make an educated guess based on what i saw last season, the best three teams in the CAA. I'd say JMU comes out on top.

ChickenMan
May 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM
JMU and UR seem like mortal locks, to me.

you should know by now that there are no 'mortal locks' in the CAA... ;)

mcveyrl
May 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM
you should know by now that there are no 'mortal locks' in the CAA... ;)

Amen to that...xthumbsupx

ericsaid
May 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
JMU is a mortal lock.

89Hen
May 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
there are no 'mortal locks' in the CAA... ;)
No mortal locks is a mortal lock.

I don't bother with records, but if I had to put them in order...

South
1. JMU
2. UR
3. UD
4. Nova
5. W&M
6. Towson

North
1. UMass
2. UNH
3. Hofstra
4. Northeastern
5. Maine
6. URI

xcoffeex

JmuSkinsfan
May 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
you dont think even one of the FBS games will be won?

First off...I'm sure someone will beat an FBS...but it would be easier to let it happen cause I couldn't make an accurate guess as to who it will be...

JMU @ Duke: JMU can win this but I'm not gonna put too much stock into it
W&M @ NC State: Nope.
URI @ Boston College: Nope.
UR @ UVA: Maybe...UVA has lost a ton to scandal...but it's still UVA.
Northeastern @ Ball State: Ball State is FBS no? Maybe cause Ball State sucks
Northeastern at Syracuse: Nope.
Towson @ Navy: Nope. We saw what UD could have done last year making it close, but Towson is no UD.
Villanova @ WVU. HELLLlllllzz no.
UD @ UMD. Nope.
Hofstra @ UCONN: UConn has become a legit FBS team. Nope.
Maine @ Iowa: Nope.
UMass @ Texas Tech: Nope.
UNH @ Army: Maybe, but doubtful.

Only ones I could see happening are UNH over Army and JMU over Duke. Maybe Northeastern has a shot at Ball State but I don't know enough about BSU but they're in the MAC so they aren't stellar.

89Hen
May 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Towson @ Navy: Nope. We saw what UD could have done last year making it close, but Towson is no UD.
xconfusedx The Hens beat Navy last year. xthumbsupx

edit: maybe you're thinking about URI almost beating Army?

89Hen
May 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
JMU @ Duke
Northeastern @ Ball State
UNH @ Army
IMO the three best shots. Matter of fact, JMU and UNH might be favored. xeyebrowx

Hoyadestroya85
May 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
2005 Villanova was supposed to be good, nothing is predictable in the CAA
all i know though Young+Whitney>Burroughs+Jankowski

JmuSkinsfan
May 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM
2005 Villanova was supposed to be good, nothing is predictable in the CAA
all i know though Young+Whitney>Burroughs+Jankowski

Yeah I really like Whitney. I have you guys beating JMU but we handled you pretty good last year 35-7...but JMU has to slip up somewhere and I could see us coming up flat up in Phili.

JmuSkinsfan
May 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
xconfusedx The Hens beat Navy last year. xthumbsupx

edit: maybe you're thinking about URI almost beating Army?

Haha really? My bad...I thought you guys lost but barely and the score was somewhere in the 50s. I know Navy and Army aren't good but I didn't realize they were badd. You really think UNH will be favored over Army? I doubt JMU will be favored over Duke...but who knows?!

PapaBear
May 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
North:

UMass 6-2
Maine 5-3xeekx xeekx xeekx
UNH 3-5
Hofstra 3-5
URI 2-6
Northeastern 1-7

South:

Delaware 7-1
JMU 6-2
Villanova 5-3
Richmond 4-4
William & Mary 2-6
Towson 1-7

Who are you and what have you done with Mainejeff?

Seriously, MJ, what brought this on? Didja like what you saw out of the Black Cubs toward the end of last season?

BDKJMU
May 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM
There have already been several CAA prediction threads since the end of last season. I have the feeling over the next 3 months there's going to be at least a half doz more.

jstclmet
May 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM
North: CAA, Overall
UMass 7 - 1, 10 - 2 Losses to TT & UNH
UNH 5 - 3, 7 - 4 Losses @ Army, W&M, @ Nova, @ Maine
Maine 3 - 5, 6 - 6
HU 2 - 6, 5 - 7
URI 1 - 7, 3 - 9
NE 1 - 7, 2 - 10

South:
Nova 8 - 0, 10 - 1 L @ WVU
UR 6 - 2, 8 - 4 L @ Elon, @UVA, @ Nova, @ UMass
JMU 5 - 3, 6 - 5 L @ Duke, UMass, App St., @ UR, @ Nova
W&M 4 - 4, 6 - 5 L @ NC St., Nova, @ UD, @ JMU @ UR
UD 4 - 4, 6 - 6 L @ MD, @ FU, @ UMass, @ JMU, @ UR, Nova
TU 2 - 6, 5 - 7

danefan
May 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
IMO the three best shots. Matter of fact, JMU and UNH might be favored. xeyebrowx

What's going to happen when UNH beats Army and then Albany beats UNH?

Complete mayhem in the CAA?
Will Travis go straight and become a Yankee fan?xcoffeex

BDKJMU
May 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Maine 3 - 5, 6 - 6
HU 2 - 6, 5 - 7
URI 1 - 7, 3 - 9
NE 1 - 7, 2 - 10

South:
TU 2 - 6, 5 - 7

Idiot...

UNHWildCats
May 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Maine 3 - 5, 6 - 6
HU 2 - 6, 5 - 7
URI 1 - 7, 3 - 9
NE 1 - 7, 2 - 10

South:
Nova 8 - 0, 10 - 1 L @ WVU***
TU 2 - 6, 5 - 7
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

*** That gets its own set of laughy faces xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SunCoastBlueHen
May 28th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I can't make much of an educated guess right now as to what kind of team Delaware will have this season. The defense should be improved and the offense has some big holes to fill - that's all I know. That being said, I'm not even going to attempt to predict the rest of the CAA. :)

jstclmet
May 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

*** That gets its own set of laughy faces xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You're probably right, we might not lose to WVU, but I didn't want to appear like a HOMER.xnodx

jstclmet
May 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Idiot...

Did you come up with that retort by yourself, or did someone from UR help you xbawlingx

89Hen
May 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Haha really? My bad...I thought you guys lost but barely and the score was somewhere in the 50s. I know Navy and Army aren't good but I didn't realize they were badd. You really think UNH will be favored over Army? I doubt JMU will be favored over Duke...but who knows?!
It was in the 50's but the Hens won. I watched URI almost beat Army and UNH hasn't lost to a I-A in four years. xeyebrowx xbowx I don't know what kind of team Duke has, but you guys should be able to beat them on a normal year.

WrenFGun
May 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Heh..is it IMPOSSIBLE that JMU could lose to 5 good teams?

BTW, I like to make mortal lock predictions to look like a complete moron later. :)

WildCat In The Hat
May 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
North:

UMass 6-2
Maine 5-3
UNH 3-5
Hofstra 3-5
URI 2-6
Northeastern 1-7

South:

Delaware 7-1
JMU 6-2
Villanova 5-3
Richmond 4-4
William & Mary 2-6
Towson 1-7

I never was really good with numbers...but it seems strange to me that in CAA league games theres going to be 45 wins and 51 losses.....maybe blowouts count as a loss and a half??
UNH 3-5 and Richmond 4-4, time to exhale.
xpeacex

mainejeff
May 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I never was really good with numbers...but it seems strange to me that in CAA league games theres going to be 45 wins and 51 losses.....maybe blowouts count as a loss and a half??
UNH 3-5 and Richmond 4-4, time to exhale.
xpeacex

LOL. I didn't think that people really checked to see if those records make sense. :p

mainejeff
May 28th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Who are you and what have you done with Mainejeff?

Seriously, MJ, what brought this on? Didja like what you saw out of the Black Cubs toward the end of last season?

Even Cosgrove gets lucky once in a while. ;)

KAUMASS
May 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
'Nova wins the South and CAA automatic qualifier. 'Nova is also going to play WVU tougher than people think. That game will be close into the fourth quarter and with some luck, 'nova pulls the upset. If anyone thinks I'm nuts, see my prediction from last year for the App/Michigan game. WVU with a new staff and system is a prime target for a very strong returning 'Nova team. 'Nova played Maryland respectable last year, took UMass to 4 ot's and probably should have won that game, and beat Delaware.
Delaware and JMU have some brutal schedules. One of those 2 teams will be in contention, one will be around .500.

I'm deferring on the North as I don't want to be a homer.

JmuSkinsfan
May 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I spent about an hour on my predictions...and then when I added them up there was a record of 47-49. Took me another 20 minutes to realize that I had given an extra conference loss and one less win to Northeastern or something like that. Stupid math!

I can't see UNH going 3-5. They have such a patsy schedule. Outside of UMass I don't see much competition from their brethren in the north...and they play Towson, W&M and Villanova in the south.

I like Villanova's team a lot...but I am still having trouble getting over the 35-7 trouncing we put on them last year. Everyone has their off days, and I know they almost beat UMass and had some key wins last year, but I have a hard time thinking they will go better than 6-2. I am giving them a win against JMU though so you 'Nova fans can't rip me too hard.

I think the auto-bid will be between UNH and JMU. JMU has a brutal schedule, but for the most part, the hard games are at home. UMass, Delaware at home. While UR is on the road, we have had luck there in the past and have had more fans at the game. Only game that really scares me is Villanova, but even that doesn't scare me too much. I gave them the win so I wouldn't be accused of being such a homer :)

JmuSkinsfan
May 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Also. If JMU and UNH both finish 9-2 (7-1), regardless of who gets the auto-bid, JMU would get seeded due to SOS. Especially if we can beat App. State.

I think App. State, JMU, EWU and NDSU have the best early shots at getting the seeds. Although UNH could get a seed if there is a cluster of 9-2 / 8-3 teams at the top. But I think their SOS will hurt them come playoff time...

Seawolf97
May 28th, 2008, 08:23 PM
From the outside looking in-I would be shocked if UNH is 3-5 and Richmond is 4-4. I know the CAA is tough but so is UNH and URxreadx

DevilDawg
May 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=JmuSkinsfan;961713]I know Navy and Army aren't good but I didn't realize they were badd. /QUOTE]

Army has issues, including compromising their academy's integrity, but you don't seem to be very familiar with Navy football.

I also find it amazing that people would predict that JMU would lose to Duke but yet beat App St.

jmu_duke07
May 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I know Navy and Army aren't good but I didn't realize they were badd.

Army has issues, including compromising their academy's integrity, but you don't seem to be very familiar with Navy football.

I also find it amazing that people would predict that JMU would lose to Duke but yet beat App St.

Thats because a loss to Duke really doesn't mean much when it comes time for playoff selection. Mickey Matthews rolls over when playing FBS teams. If it were up to him, he'd rather not play them. He even stated that in his preseason press conference last year. However, it is Duke, so the situation could be different. If Richmond can shut them out then we can definetly beat them. I will be pissed if we do lose, however, it won't surprise me nor any of the JMU fans...

URMite
May 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Thats because a loss to Duke really doesn't mean much when it comes time for playoff selection. Mickey Matthews rolls over when playing FBS teams. If it were up to him, he'd rather not play them. He even stated that in his preseason press conference last year. However, it is Duke, so the situation could be different. If Richmond can shut them out then we can definetly beat them. I will be pissed if we do lose, however, it won't surprise me nor any of the JMU fans...

If it was the same team that we shut out, then you definitely should beat them. But if the new coach gets any significant improvement out of this year's team, you could have a fight on your hands. Because of the extra scholarships FBS teams seem to be hard to keep down for an entire game.

An FBS loss doesn't mean much in playoff selection, but an FBS win can be a distinct advantage, every thing else being equal.

URMite
May 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
First off...I'm sure someone will beat an FBS...but it would be easier to let it happen cause I couldn't make an accurate guess as to who it will be...

UD @ UMD. Nope.

Only ones I could see happening are UNH over Army and JMU over Duke. Maybe Northeastern has a shot at Ball State but I don't know enough about BSU but they're in the MAC so they aren't stellar.

I agree predicting any FBS win with certainty is dangerous, but...I agree that 2 ranked FCS teams (JMU, UNH) should have a decent chance against 2 of the bottom 10 in FBS. Maybe it is because NU had its worst game against us last year, but I'm not certain of their ability even against the MAC. I think UD and UR both have a chance. Maybe not a great one, but...Last time we were at UVA we lost by 1 after fumbling in the red zone in the last few minutes, UVA won 9 games last year but 4 or 5 were by 2 or less (including middle Tennessee), then there are the scandals, and finally our new coach was their assistant last year. To me, all that adds up to hope and possibilities. On the other hand, I'm sure they will be determined not to lose to us and very focused. (Maybe they will be banged up from USC)

While looking for something else, I noticed some people are putting UVA at low end of the top 25. I don't see it, but would be great if they were ranked after USC. They are no Michigan but a ranking is a ranking.

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM

LOL. I didn't think that people really checked to see if those records make sense. :p
That's one of the reasons I don't predict records. I'd bet half the predictions here are mathematically impossible.

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 08:13 AM
'Nova wins the South and CAA automatic qualifier. 'Nova is also going to play WVU tougher than people think. That game will be close into the fourth quarter and with some luck, 'nova pulls the upset. If anyone thinks I'm nuts, see my prediction from last year for the App/Michigan game. WVU with a new staff and system is a prime target for a very strong returning 'Nova team. 'Nova played Maryland respectable last year, took UMass to 4 ot's and probably should have won that game, and beat Delaware.
xeyebrowx WVU will be out to prove they are a good team without RR, I think they lay it on Nova. I don't think the Maryland game was as close as 31-14 indicates. Besides, Maryland was pretty weak last year, IIRC they barely squeaked by FIU or FAU.

andy7171
May 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM
xeyebrowx WVU will be out to prove they are a good team without RR, I think they lay it on Nova. I don't think the Maryland game was as close as 31-14 indicates. Besides, Maryland was pretty weak last year, IIRC they barely squeaked by FIU or FAU.
Maryland traditionally plays down to the perceived competition. If this were last year with Flacco and Cuff, I'd be thinking Delaware had a good chance at the upset. But they are gone, so I don't.

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Maryland traditionally plays down to the perceived competition. If this were last year with Flacco and Cuff, I'd be thinking Delaware had a good chance at the upset. But they are gone, so I don't.
Yeah, I made that comment last year. MD was way down and with Flacco and Cuff as seniors... xoopsx

HENJOHN
May 29th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Another country heard from here:

North:

UMASS
UNH
NEastern
Hofstra
Maine
URI

South:

JMU
VILL
Richmond
Delaware
W&MARY
Towson

Playoffs- UMASS, UNH, JMU & VILL (UMASS- Nat Champs)

DRDukes
May 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM
North:
UMass
UNH
Hofstra
Maine
Northeastern
Rhody

South:
JMU
UR
UD
V'Nova
Towson
W&M

CAA Conference Champ:
JMU

Playoff Field:
JMU - AQ
UMass
UR

JmuSkinsfan
May 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM
North:
UMass
UNH
Hofstra
Maine
Northeastern
Rhody

South:
JMU
UR
UD
V'Nova
Towson
W&M

CAA Conference Champ:
JMU

Playoff Field:
JMU - AQ
UMass
UR

I have a hard time leaving out UNH with their cupcake schedule. Oh well

KAUMASS
May 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM

I disagree 'Nova was down 3-0 at the end of the first quarter, a 42 yd field goal. Down 10-7 at the half, 24-7 end of third, and they traded touch's in the fourth for a 31-14 game. Maryland played #8 BC later in the year 42-35, UMass played BC to 24-10 ealier in the year. Maryland's offensive stats in the 'nova game were not out of whack with any of their wins. 'Nova is going to lay on some people this year. I saw the 'nova game against UMass, and watched the Delaware game on CN8. Villanova was very physical against UMass. I saw the BC game as well, and Villanova was more physical than BC was on offense.

I spoke to Coach Talley prior to the UMass game, as he had recruited me back in the 80's and he knew my dad. He told me he knew they had a good team last year and that they would peak in '08. I don't think WVU lays it on them. Marshall played WVU tough last year through 3 quarters, and New Hampshire kicked the crap out of Marshall last year. Go figure.

Good luck to the hens in '08 and we are looking forward to Delaware coming to Amherst this year.

JmuSkinsfan
May 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I disagree 'Nova was down 3-0 at the end of the first quarter, a 42 yd field goal. Down 10-7 at the half, 24-7 end of third, and they traded touch's in the fourth for a 31-14 game. Maryland played #8 BC later in the year 42-35, UMass played BC to 24-10 ealier in the year. Maryland's offensive stats in the 'nova game were not out of whack with any of their wins. 'Nova is going to lay on some people this year. I saw the 'nova game against UMass, and watched the Delaware game on CN8. Villanova was very physical against UMass. I saw the BC game as well, and Villanova was more physical than BC was on offense.

I spoke to Coach Talley prior to the UMass game, as he had recruited me back in the 80's and he knew my dad. He told me he knew they had a good team last year and that they would peak in '08. I don't think WVU lays it on them. Marshall played WVU tough last year through 3 quarters, and New Hampshire kicked the crap out of Marshall last year. Go figure.

Good luck to the hens in '08 and we are looking forward to Delaware coming to Amherst this year.

I'm still having a tough time gauging 'Nova. We stomped them at home last year, yet they hung with the best in our conference. Obv. I have them going 6-2 and beating JMU this year up in Pa. but I'm still not 100% sold. I guess they could have had a down game against us, and to their defense I never saw them play another game so I could have just gotten them at the wrong time.

89Hen
May 29th, 2008, 02:09 PM
and watched the Delaware game on CN8.
I wouldn't put much weight in that game. UD/Nova is always a crapshoot and often the worse team wins. The Hens' fate was also sealed going into that game it was probably their worst performance of the year.

BDKJMU
May 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Delaware and JMU have some brutal schedules. One of those 2 teams will be in contention, one will be around .500.

I'm deferring on the North as I don't want to be a homer.

Youre kidding right? I saw BC play several times on TV last season, and Nova didn't look REMOTELY close to BC on offense physically. Nova's offense didn't look physical at all against JMU. Was alot of Young scrambling for his life. Was 35-0 until late in the 4th QTR when Nova drove 53 yards against JMU's backups to score with 4:06 in the 4th. Going into that drive Nova had only 148 yards of total offense. No Nova back rushed for more than 24. It ended up being 507-201 yards total offense. JMU rolled all over them. And it wasn't due to turnovers either- was only one in the game- a Young INT. You can say Nova "had a bad game". Well, someone can saw Maryland and Umass had bad games against Nova.
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2007/vu.htm

BDKJMU
May 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know much on what's all going on in the CAA but if I had to make an educated guess based on what i saw last season, the best three teams in the CAA. I'd say JMU comes out on top.

Not very consistent are you:

villanova also wont do anything this season, or next or the next UR is returning a lot of players and from what i saw ayt the App semi final game will be a force to be reckoned with for the next couple of years, as for james madison, im sorry i cant say the same thing
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37943&page=5

KAUMASS
May 29th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Youre kidding right? I saw BC play several times on TV last season, and Nova didn't look REMOTELY close to BC on offense physically. Nova's offense didn't look physical at all against JMU. Was alot of Young scrambling for his life. Was 35-0 until late in the 4th QTR when Nova drove 53 yards against JMU's backups to score with 4:06 in the 4th. Going into that drive Nova had only 148 yards of total offense. No Nova back rushed for more than 24. It ended up being 507-201 yards total offense. JMU rolled all over them. And it wasn't due to turnovers either- was only one in the game- a Young INT. You can say Nova "had a bad game". Well, someone can saw Maryland and Umass had bad games against Nova.

No jesting here. It's called ANY GIVEN SATURDAY.

Col Hogan
May 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Another country heard from here:

North:

UMASS
UNH
NEastern
Hofstra
Maine
URI

South:

JMU
VILL
Richmond
Delaware
W&MARY
Towson

Playoffs- UMASS, UNH, JMU & VILL (UMASS- Nat Champs)

Thanks, but...
xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox
xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

EmeryZach
May 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hey you never know. As long as Liam stays healthy (fingers crossed)

Col Hogan
May 29th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hey you never know. As long as Liam stays healthy (fingers crossed)

Z, I'd love to be wrong.....I hope I'm wrong....but NC with the experience level we're bringing to the field this year.....xrolleyesx

ericsaid
May 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
It was in the 50's but the Hens won. I watched URI almost beat Army and UNH hasn't lost to a I-A in four years. xeyebrowx xbowx I don't know what kind of team Duke has, but you guys should be able to beat them on a normal year.

Duke won't be the typical piece of cake team they have been. They got a new head coach who was Tennessee's offensive coordinator and from articles i've read the new coaching staff has almost killed these players to get in shape. Should be a good game to watch but not a sure win for JMU.

ericsaid
May 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Not very consistent are you:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37943&page=5

Those were a couple of my first posts on here, so cut me some slack. I also was just chastising pretty much anyone but App but i'm learning. I stand by my later comments of JMU possibly making it to the National Championship.xbowx

Hoyadestroya85
May 29th, 2008, 09:30 PM

That was early in the season with our young offensive line and at that point we had no running game...
We got much better as the season went on.. look at how close we played UMASS and Richmond

jstclmet
May 29th, 2008, 11:20 PM

Early in the season Nova was putting up a lot of yards passing and rushing very little. Nova actually moved the ball on MD through the air, and trailed at halftime 10 - 7. MD wore Nova down in the 2nd half.

Against JMU, Nova tried much of the same game plan, but had a lot of dropped passes on 3rd down giving the ball back to JMU and putting the Nova def back on the field. Giving the Devil their due, JMU is a good rushing team. Their rush game coupled with their bubble screens wore Nova's defense down, and the Nova coaching staff for whatever reason did not adjust. I'm not going to say Nova would have beat JMU last year, but if they had run the ball like they did in the latter half of the season, the score would have been a lot closer.

As good as the Nova QB (A. Young) is, and I like him a lot, probably one of the best things to happen to Nova last year was his injury. It forced the Nova coaches to focus on the rushing attack. The rest is history.

This writer is hoping for a healthy A. Young, and more balanced offensive attack.

I wish JMU a lot of luck this season, but cha better bring your "A" game when you come to Philly.

GannonFan
May 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Early in the season Nova was putting up a lot of yards passing and rushing very little. Nova actually moved the ball on MD through the air, and trailed at halftime 10 - 7. MD wore Nova down in the 2nd half.

Against JMU, Nova tried much of the same game plan, but had a lot of dropped passes on 3rd down giving the ball back to JMU and putting the Nova def back on the field. Giving the Devil their due, JMU is a good rushing team. Their rush game coupled with their bubble screens wore Nova's defense down, and the Nova coaching staff for whatever reason did not adjust. I'm not going to say Nova would have beat JMU last year, but if they had run the ball like they did in the latter half of the season, the score would have been a lot closer.

As good as the Nova QB (A. Young) is, and I like him a lot, probably one of the best things to happen to Nova last year was his injury. It forced the Nova coaches to focus on the rushing attack. The rest is history.

This writer is hoping for a healthy A. Young, and more balanced offensive attack.

I wish JMU a lot of luck this season, but cha better bring your "A" game when you come to Philly.

I've never seen so many bubble screens work so many times in a row as I saw in that nova/JMU game. It's not like Matthews is an offensive genius or anything, but once he saw that nova was never going to adjust to it he just ran it over and over again. Forget what nova did (or didn't do) on offense in that game, it didn't matter, the nova defense just played on their heels from the first snap and you're right, nary an adjustment was made.

89Hen
May 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I've never seen so many bubble screens work so many times in a row as I saw in that nova/JMU game. It's not like Matthews is an offensive genius or anything, but once he saw that nova was never going to adjust to it he just ran it over and over again.
IIRC that's exactly what we said WE should have been doing against Nova after our pitiful offensive performance against them. xoopsx xnonono2x

jstclmet
May 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I've never seen so many bubble screens work so many times in a row as I saw in that nova/JMU game. It's not like Matthews is an offensive genius or anything, but once he saw that nova was never going to adjust to it he just ran it over and over again. Forget what nova did (or didn't do) on offense in that game, it didn't matter, the nova defense just played on their heels from the first snap and you're right, nary an adjustment was made.

It took a while, but by the time Nova played UD, Nova was able to snuff out those same bubble screens, hence, holding a team that was scoring 30+ a game (and favored to win by two TD's) to a mere 10 pts. xnodx

89Hen
May 30th, 2008, 09:12 AM
It took a while, but by the time Nova played UD, Nova was able to snuff out those same bubble screens, hence, holding a team that was scoring 30+ a game (and favored to win by two TD's) to a mere 10 pts. xnodx
xconfusedx The Hens didn't run any.

jstclmet
May 30th, 2008, 09:17 AM
They tried, once or twice to Thaxton, Cuff caught one, and was overthrown on another. I just got through watching the game again on tape. UD dropped a lot of passes too. Aside from the constant pressure on Flacco, the dropped passes killed several of UD's drives.

89Hen
May 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I just got through watching the game again on tape.
I couldn't delete it fast enough. :p

BDKJMU
May 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Yeah, Landers was 25-32, and had 3-4 balls dropped. That was game 5 when he could still consistently pass, at least very accurately on the short stuff. It was either the UR game or during practice before UD when he injured the wrist- we all saw during the UD game (game 9) he couldn't pass worth a lick, and the last 3 games after that was only marginally better. Thats one thing that Matthews did a good job of, keeping that injury a secret for a # of weeks.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
May 30th, 2008, 01:56 PM
It wasn't too much of a secret, but most people just figured MM was using excuses to run the ball even more than normal! xsmiley_wix

I am looking forward to seeing Landers' improvement in the passing game this year. If he still looks bad, we will know that it really was a bogus injury. Personally, it seems that Rodney can pass great, he just needs a pocket and waits too long for someone to be open.

That was the area where Flacco really excelled. He knew how to lead receivers and release the ball quickly with enough mustard on it to avoid many INTs.

As good as Flacco was against JMU, I was even mroe impressed with their WRs. xnodx Many diving catches on a windy day to convert 3rd downs. xbawlingx Glad the Hens are coming to Harrisonburg this year!

jstclmet
May 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I was even mroe impressed with their WRs. xnodx Many diving catches on a windy day to convert 3rd downs. xbawlingx Glad the Hens are coming to Harrisonburg this year!

You wouldn't have been to impressed with them last Nov 17. It was more cold than windy, and a rivalry game, but it seems the UD WR's grew alligator arms. Then again, the Nova Def may have had a hand in that xlolx

BDKJMU
December 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Maine 3 - 5, 6 - 6
HU 2 - 6, 5 - 7
URI 1 - 7, 3 - 9
NE 1 - 7, 2 - 10

South:
TU 2 - 6, 5 - 7

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx clueless...

Grabholdofyosef
December 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM

UD @ UMD. Nope.

You were right about the fact that you didnt know much about Ball St. Finished reg season 8-0, 12-0 ranked 12th. They beat NE 48-14. Wrong that they suck : )

89Hen
December 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
No mortal locks is a mortal lock.

I don't bother with records, but if I had to put them in order...

South
1. JMU
2. UR
3. UD
4. Nova
5. W&M
6. Towson

North
1. UMass
2. UNH
3. Hofstra
4. Northeastern
5. Maine
6. URI

xcoffeex
Not God awful, overrated UD and UMass and underrated Maine, but I'm guessing I wasn't alone.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Not God awful, overrated UD and UMass and underrated Maine, but I'm guessing I wasn't alone.

Not me. I didn't post them on here (or anywhere), but my picks were:

North
UNH
Maine
UMass
Hofstra
URI
Northeastern

South
JMU
Villanova
UR
W&M
Delaware
Towson

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

89Hen
December 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Not me. I didn't post them on here (or anywhere), but my picks were:
xlolx Like the year umassfan went 15-0 in the playoff picks... at home.

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
I was right about UD, Maine (kind of, said they'd be at least 4-4 in the CAA), UNH, 'Nova, UR and JMU, but I was pretty wrong on W&M and UMass.