PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion vs Norfolk State Matchup?

Monarch History
May 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM
It looks like there will be an Old Dominion and Norfolk State matchup in both team's future.xthumbsupx

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/dawn-rivalry-odu-and-nsu-talk-football-series

TexasTerror
May 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Not mentioned in the article, how far are the two schools from each other? Seems like it would be a match-up that makes sense, two regional rivals getting it on, HBCU vs PWC...

mcveyrl
May 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Like 15 minutes with traffic...

HIU 93
May 28th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Not mentioned in the article, how far are the two schools from each other? Seems like it would be a match-up that makes sense, two regional rivals getting it on, HBCU vs PWC...

They're not regional, they are in the same city, no more than 5 miles apart.

mcveyrl
May 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
They're not regional, they are in the same city, no more than 5 miles apart.

Yea, I don't even consider HU and NSU regional...(unless the HRBT is backed up...then they might as well be in two different countries)

HIU 93
May 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Yea, I don't even consider HU and NSU regional...(unless the HRBT is backed up...then they might as well be in two different countries)

Go around.xlolx The Monitor Merrimac is never backed up.

NSUSPARTAN
May 28th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Both side want the first game at home. They could have started in 2010 if this was not a sticking point. It would be a great game for FCS & the city of Norfolk!

DevilDawg
May 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
It is one Naval ROTC unit for both schools.

Mouse
May 29th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I know what a HBCU is
but what does PWC stand for?

andy7171
May 29th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I know what a HBCU is

Predominantly White

xrolleyesx

jonmac
May 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
The thing that struck me about the article was the stated problem that NSU would have with dropping the annual labor day weekend classic with DII Virginia State to open another date. I know historic rivalries are great and it is a great money maker for both schools but this can really hurt NSU in the long run as far as playoffs are concerned. This also came up when App played Lenoir Rhyne, classic, historic rivalry but outdated due to division differences. Glad it is no longer a yearly thing. As sad as it may be, NSU may have to consider moving away from this game if it really wants to bolster its chances at playoff success. Unless Virginia State makes the move up. This may not make a difference in being able to schedule the game but it was mentioned.

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 07:56 AM
The thing that struck me about the article was the stated problem that NSU would have with dropping the annual labor day weekend classic with DII Virginia State to open another date. I know historic rivalries are great and it is a great money maker for both schools but this can really hurt NSU in the long run as far as playoffs are concerned. This also came up when App played Lenoir Rhyne, classic, historic rivalry but outdated due to division differences. Glad it is no longer a yearly thing. As sad as it may be, NSU may have to consider moving away from this game if it really wants to bolster its chances at playoff success. Unless Virginia State makes the move up. This may not make a difference in being able to schedule the game but it was mentioned.
It could hurt, but with a 12th game the impact may not be as bad. If the Spartans continue to improve an Auto birth is in their future.

Dukie95
May 29th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I'd hate for them to stop that series to start one with ODU. I'm not sure it's in either ODU's or NSU's best interest to start a continued series. It'll be competitive early on, but ODU has aspirations to be at the top of the CAA, where teams have typically overmatched all but the very best of the MEAC.

jonmac
May 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM
yeah jag, but the playoff expansion was also mentioned, shortened season, no bye week, no 12th game. I'm sure they'll be able to work it out. It's kind of exciting for me since I'm close to Norfolk. Depending on App's schedule I will try to go to the game. I'm also really hoping that we can work out a home and home with ODU sometime. Would love to be able to see the Apps play in under an hour's drive.

jonmac
May 29th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I'd hate for them to stop that series to start one with ODU. I'm not sure it's in either ODU's or NSU's best interest to start a continued series. It'll be competitive early on, but ODU has aspirations to be at the top of the CAA, where teams have typically overmatched all but the very best of the MEAC.

I kinda think that would also help NSU to become more competive in the MEAC and overall. NSU could outgrow the MEAC if they really try to stay on the level that ODU hopes to achieve. Could help them stop treading water, like the MEAC seems to do, and start swimming. Continuing a rivalry with a DII team only keeps them in the same situation they are in now.

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 08:13 AM
yeah jag, but the playoff expansion was also mentioned, shortened season, no bye week, no 12th game. I'm sure they'll be able to work it out. It's kind of exciting for me since I'm close to Norfolk. Depending on App's schedule I will try to go to the game. I'm also really hoping that we can work out a home and home with ODU sometime. Would love to be able to see the Apps play in under an hour's drive.
I didn't think about the expansion of the playoffs.

andy7171
May 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I can only hope the cross town CAA-MEAC rivalry between NSU and ODU is better than what we have up in Baltimore. Towson v Morgan State is about as dull as they come. Every year I say a little prayer before the game that this isn't the year that the planets align and Morgan State pulls an upset. They've won twice since the "rivalry" was renewed in 1993.

813Jag
May 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I can only hope the cross town CAA-MEAC rivalry between NSU and ODU is better than what we have up in Baltimore. Towson v Morgan State is about as dull as they come. Every year I say a little prayer before the game that this isn't the year that the planets align and Morgan State pulls an upset. They've won twice since the "rivalry" was renewed in 1993.
When was the last time Morgan was good? Southern played them once in the 80's and it wasn't pretty.

Dukie95
May 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Yeah, that was my point. I'd think the ODU fans would bore of it if it was a regularly scheduled game beyond 3 or 4 years.

andy7171
May 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM
When was the last time Morgan was good? Southern played them once in the 80's and it wasn't pretty.

They were pretty good last year. Chad Simpson was a beast at RB. They get all excited to beat Towson every year, they come close, as of late, but fail and then lose the next 3-4 games dwelling on the Towson loss it seems. Basically ruining their season. They got HOSED by the MEAC refs vs Del State last year and basically cost them a winning season.

I am personally surprised Simpson didn't get signed by an NFL team.

WileECoyote06
May 29th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Yall given mad respect to a program that's just starting football.

jonmac
May 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah, that was my point. I'd think the ODU fans would bore of it if it was a regularly scheduled game beyond 3 or 4 years.

I can see your point but we really don't know what ODU fans will be like yet. You're probably right though. Could work as an every other year or every few years rivalry. I could see the same thing happening with a JMU/ASU yearly rivalry that looks interesting right now. Unless they remain competitive rivalries do tend lose some luster over time. I kinda feel that way about ASU/WCU right now. Hopefully that will change. Don't want the Apps to ever lose one to the Cats but close competitive games would be nice.

Dukie95
May 29th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Well, they should be able to compete in the CAA pretty quickly. Even teams in the mid to bottom of the CAA (like Towson mentioned here) tend to handle MEAC teams pretty well.

Of course, I don't like these sweeping generalizations, because Hampton has competed quite well against the CAA in the playoffs the past few years and fallen just short...and my memory's not too short to remember that Hampton beat JMU in the not too distant past.

jonmac
May 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Hey, it's just kind of exciting. They seem to be doing it right. Check out the preps they are making. Lots of potential there. ODU is a large school and lots of alumni support. Already sold a bunch of season tickets and their first class of players has not even set foot on the practice field(brand new, btw) yet. They will be starting off their program with first class facilities. Google powhattan sports center(check the spelling though).

WileECoyote06
May 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Hey, it's just kind of exciting. They seem to be doing it right. Check out the preps they are making. Lots of potential there. ODU is a large school and lots of alumni support. Already sold a bunch of season tickets and their first class of players has not even set foot on the practice field(brand new, btw) yet. They will be starting off their program with first class facilities. Google powhattan sports center(check the spelling though).

Oh I know it's exciting; I see the same excitement among Campbell and UNC-Pembroke fans. However, NSU is not a MEAC bottom-feeder; and Coach Adrian has his program on the move. They are probably the second most talented team in the MEAC (SC State). If I were NSU's AD; I'd treat ODU like they were moving up from Division II (believe me, I know all about that); you have to play here first.

GAD
May 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
yup SU won 45 to 27 if I remeber correctly

redflash2
May 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM

I agree bro...xnodx

DRocksDad
May 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Well, they should be able to compete in the CAA pretty quickly. Even teams in the mid to bottom of the CAA (like Towson mentioned here) tend to handle MEAC teams pretty well.

Of course, I don't like these sweeping generalizations, because Hampton has competed quite well against the CAA in the playoffs the past few years and fallen just short...and my memory's not too short to remember that Hampton beat JMU in the not too distant past.

I agree with Coyote. Too early to judge ODU. Facilities dont make a winning team talent does. But they do attract talent. I would not put money on ODU competing well in the top half of the CAA for at least 4-5 recuriting cycles. The only variable would be transfers. I also agree they will rival the best crowds and alumni support in the CAA sooner than their record warrants.

redflash2
May 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I agree with Coyote. Too early to judge ODU. Facilities dont make a winning team talent does. But they do attract talent. I would not put money on ODU competing well in the top half of the CAA for at least 4-5 recuriting cycles. The only variable would be transfers. I also agree they will rival the best crowds and alumni support in the CAA sooner than their record warrants.

i also agree wit that...

jonmac
May 30th, 2008, 07:02 AM

I will also concede that it is very early. I don't think, however, that it will take 4-5 recruiting cycles. They're following very closely to CCU's plan for implememting football and have many advantages over CCU. Hampton Roads is a talent rich recruiting hotbed. Not that ODU will automatically compete with UVA and VPI for recruits but most good I-AA programs do very well with the next tier recruits and those that were missed by the big schools. They also went right out and got an experienced head coach. Facilities, coach, location and size of the school will give them an early advantage that other schools new to football and/or I-AA have not/would not have.

Why am I hoping for such quick success? I would like for I-AA, ok, FCS get as much recognition in my part of the country as possible and I think ODU being successful early will aid in that. And I just have a feeling that they are setting themselves up for quick success. Only drawback is I don't think they plan on hanging around FCS very long.

WileECoyote06
May 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I will also concede that it is very early. I don't think, however, that it will take 4-5 recruiting cycles. They're following very closely to CCU's plan for implememting football and have many advantages over CCU. Hampton Roads is a talent rich recruiting hotbed. Not that ODU will automatically compete with UVA and VPI for recruits but most good I-AA programs do very well with the next tier recruits and those that were missed by the big schools. They also went right out and got an experienced head coach. Facilities, coach, location and size of the school will give them an early advantage that other schools new to football and/or I-AA have not/would not have.

Why am I hoping for such quick success? I would like for I-AA, ok, FCS get as much recognition in my part of the country as possible and I think ODU being successful early will aid in that. And I just have a feeling that they are setting themselves up for quick success. Only drawback is I don't think they plan on hanging around FCS very long.

That does seem to be the recent trend isn't it? I can see where you're coming from, definitely. I can relate because I shudder at the day when that sleeping giant called UNC-Charlotte finally decides to start their program.

(crosses fingers, and hopes this doesn't come to pass - yes i am a hater xthumbsupx )

Dukie95
May 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM

I could not agree more, but remember we're talking about competing with NSU, not within the CAA.

Husky Alum
May 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I know what a HBCU is

In my biz, PWC is PricewaterhouseCoopers - a large public accounting firm. ;-)

WileECoyote06
May 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I could not agree more, but remember we're talking about competing with NSU, not within the CAA.

I give em three to four years before they can even run with Norfolk State. And if all else fails the Spartans will just wear those gold jerseys with the green trim and blind the Monarchs.:D